• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To be honest, I don't know. I was more thinking, lore wise, conquer them and use the survivors as conscripts... The only diplomacy I've managed with them in my games has been to go to war and conquer them but I've never tried any other diplomacy towards fanatical purifiers, if there is any.

To be honest, I don't know. I was more thinking, lore wise, conquer them and use the survivors as conscripts... The only diplomacy I've managed with them in my games has been to go to war and conquer them but I've never tried any other diplomacy towards fanatical purifiers, if there is any.

Ah yes. The Pureborn themselves are Children of Earth, regardless of what they think about it. As the Dossier will outline, the Empire wants to beat the Order and reeducate the Pureborn away from their fanaticism and xenocidal mania and turn them into productive and loyal citizens of the Empire

This has been updating almost too fast for me to keep up with, and each and every one of them is splendid in its own right.

The discovery of the Order is fortunate in its own way, as it will form something of a test for the Empire, xenocidal as they are. The Empire shall earn some valuable war experience and experiment with its fledgling military-industrial complex, and then acquire a new group to assimilate into itself. The Empire will no doubt learn valuable lessons of interstellar warfare that will be useful for the future unification of the galaxy.

IIS Dosier: The Gaian Concordant
IMPERIAL INTELLIGENCE SERVICE BRIEFING DOSSIER
CHILDREN OF EARTH DEPARTMENT
DOSSIER: GAIAN CONCORDANT

A cursory briefing for the Assembly of Higher Minds. No classified Data not authorized for Assembly viewing is contained therein.

Gaian-Concordant-Dossier.png

In 2222, contact was made with the Gaian Concordant, a pacifistic nation of Elvhen. Relations opened well and have continued to open well. We have scouted their space with stealthed ships, but in all honesty, they are extremely open with their information and their space. Though they have said that we our public ships can't enter a few specific systems that are dedicated to military matters - they're pacifists, but they're not stupid, and they know space is dangerous and secrecy must be made in some things, at least this early in contact.

The Gaia Seed Initiative

As is now well known, the Gaia Seed Initiative was a project by the First Empire to create perfect worlds, ones that all members of the Children of Earth, and even alien citizens of First Empire, could live in perfect adaptation, together, on a planet. Ringworlds and habitants simply were not the same. Besides, Gaia Worlds had, to this point, been one of the technologies of the by then vanished 'Fallen Empires' that was most desired, and thus far elusive.

In a previously unremarkable star system, a barren, lifeless world around a star that was merely numbered, rather than named, was selected as the test case for the Initiative. The star was renamed Rhea, and the planet Gaia. The project was a success, and more Gaia Seeds were sent out. However, the arrival of the Ravening left Gaia uncolonized, as debates had raged as to how to colonize the world best, and in what arrangemnts to be made. Gaia was forgotten, and the Rhea system lost to the shifting hyperspace currents.

Gaia in the Second Empire

A memory, a rumor, a mystery of Gaia was held onto, even through the chaotic times after the fall of the First Empire, but the story was twisted and bent - Gaia was remembered as a paradise, yes, but a paradise that had been the perfect world, set aside for the rulers of the First Empire, where their needs could forever be catered for, where none would ever want for anything or work for anything.

It acquired a legendary flavor, the lost treasure. It was said First Empire technology and even greater knowledge was there, great treasures and artifacts hidden there before the destruction of Black Rose. Countless myths were told of it, growing in the telling with every passing decade.

It was known to be somewhere - in theory - in the region of space known as the Mayros Sector in the Second Empire. The Sector held some 90 systems by the Hyperlane network, but covered thousands and thousands of light years of space naturally, and so countless failed expeditions tried to use Jump Drives and Warp Drives and more to try to find Gaia, utilizing lost scraps of information.

When the Second Empire fell, a refugee fleet of Elvhen on repurposed colony and hydroponics ships set out, past the Hyperlanes and drifted through the currents of hyperspace and ended up in the Katos system - where the Gaia Seeds had been made. The system was overrun by old, malfunctioning robots, and the data they extracted from the system's computers was corrupted and missing countless files by the time they accessed the servers, and it cost them many lives, but with that information, they were able to construct a route to Gaia - it took them well over a hundred years and their numbers dropped significantly as ships failed or food supplies ran short at times , but it was the hope for Gaia that kept them going, and eventually, they reached the Rhea system.

Gaian-Home-System.png

Modern Gaia

The government of Gaia is a parliamentary democracy, and they are a strongly egalitarian people, which dated to their struggle to reach Gaia - they had to work together to all share in the paradise they sought, so they all share in the paradise they found. Status and rank exist, but purely as a matter of individual merit and there are few honorifics beyond 'sir/ma'am' for military officers and the Prime Minister themselves.

Their military does appear to be more powerful than ours, but they also have a certain shallowness of resources we may be able to exploit in the long term. It seems that after 500 years on a Gaia world, they have really lost interest in colonizing less perfect worlds, meaning that in all the space they have claimed, and it is a great deal relative to ours, they have only Gaia. A recently discovered Gaia world on their northern border - found by Explorator Impos - will probably be colonized, but even then, that is only two worlds.

Gaian-Space-Edit.png

That means they lack the long-term depth of resources that we will, as our colonies continue to develop and continue to churn out resources, especially advanced alloys.

Obviously, of course, their pacifist bent seems to throw off any threat of danger from them, in the immediate term, and the value they place on diversity of opinion and idea seems likely to ensure they won't seek to engage in some sort of ill-minded 'liberation' of the Empire.

The people have Gaia have a strong respect for the Sanctity of Life, and thus have little respect for the leadership of the Purity Order, declaring them anathema, and I suspect they are likely to be the one power Gaia may be interested in attacking someday - that can be used to our advantage, possibly. That said, they also seem quite interested in just not getting involved in foreign military entanglements, so it is impossible to see.

Gaian-Puritan-Rivalry.png

Gaian Culture

The Elvhen that made up the refugee fleet that eventually found Gaia was drawn from many worlds, and thus, they brought a great many cultures to Gaia itself - they have melded and weeded out strongly dissonant elements, but there are still many strains of culture on Gaia.

Religiously, they are especially diverse - there are followers of the Cult of the Dead Carpenter, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Neo-Druidism, Buddhism and derivatives of all the same, among their six billion-odd citizens. However, the cultural strain that they all share, more or less, is a respect for life, for the diversity of life, on Gaia, and elsewhere.

Vegetarianism is not universal on Gaia, but it is extremely common - less out of a belief that killing animals for meat is wrong, but rather that it is simply less damaging to a planet's environment and less resource intensive overall to consume plants. Even those who do eat meat eat relatively little of it.

Their diet does include many animal products, however, and there is a dizzying array of types of salads and other methods of preparing and serving vegetables, mixed with cheese, pastas, rice and more.

Gaians love Chocolate, but they favor bitter, dark chocolates that are unpalatable to Psilon tastebuds. They have absolutely no coffee, but the Gaian Embassy has gotten hooked on the stuff and it seems possible we could export the coffee to them en masse to make a great deal of profit.

Gaians have a rich and vibrant artistic culture, but they especially love flower arrangements - especially massive ones that take up a lot of space, the flowers growing into pictures, as specific colors as planted in specific places - and visual arts. Painting and sculpture are highly prized on Gaia. Interestingly, they also have a very diverse range of graphic novels, outnumbering traditional novels in the number of them published every year, and in their sales. Indeed, in the artistic circles of Gaia, traditional novels are actually seen as the lower and more 'plebeian' form of art.

Poetry, however, apart from epic poems (like the Illiad, the Odysessy, or our own Vanerran production, the Tychead), are not particularly liked on Gaia.

Gaian music tends to two extremes, though of course they have more variety than that. Soft, highly tonal, soothing music... and music that is made up of hard, screeching dissonant chords, angry, furious lyrics and aggressive in every aspect. It's as if all the repressed aggressive of this pacifists people are channeled into this popular genre of music.

IIS Recommendations

Wait them out, increase our military and economic power, and work with them until they can either be peacefully brought into the fold under our suzerainity, or conquored piece by piece by force. With all the empty space they've taken, planets they don't settle, they will - for now - have relatively few hard targets, and their reliance on space-based industry rather than more planets makes them vulnerable to an aggressive strike that hits them there and could cripple their economy long-term.

That said, in the immediate term, we should work with them to defeat the Purity Order and dismantle that xenocidal regime.

I will say I'm regretting my choice to make this not an Ensign difficulty game. My test runs showed Ensign seemed too easy and too simple, but now I'm seriously a small fish in a very crowded pond of bigger and badder fish.

I mean, in the long run, I'm fairly confident this will make for a more interesting story but yesus

The Gaians sound more and more like excellent dupes ... sorry, I mean partners :)

The Gaians sound more and more like excellent dupes ... sorry, I mean partners :)
Absolutely.

And I just outstripped them in military power, thankfully.

I will say I'm regretting my choice to make this not an Ensign difficulty game. My test runs showed Ensign seemed too easy and too simple, but now I'm seriously a small fish in a very crowded pond of bigger and badder fish.

I mean, in the long run, I'm fairly confident this will make for a more interesting story but yesus
Haha, myself I tend to use Ensign and no or very few FE and marauders and absolutely NO End Game Crisises. I just want my game to last long with equal standing between the empires and let the events etc tell the story. FE and marauders are okay, and I vary my games with them either on or off, but End Game Crisises I absolutely hate.:)

Well, with all the contacts I've made 2230-2235, the Kram'col have moved even farther down the Priorities list, tbh. Plus, while I have found a route to get to them, it's exceedingly roundabout. They're just not anywhere near the top of the list, as we will see in a few more updates. (there's the IIS Dossier for Purity, Chapter 3b, and then in chapters 3a and 3b and accompanying dossiers, you'll see what I mean)

Haha, myself I tend to use Ensign and no or very few FE and marauders and absolutely NO End Game Crisises. I just want my game to last long with equal standing between the empires and let the events etc tell the story. FE and marauders are okay, and I vary my games with them either on or off, but End Game Crisises I absolutely hate.:)

Well, what happened is in my test games, the AI was just not powerful enough and they weren't fighting eachother at all. Even the genocidal freaks weren't.

And I actually like the the End Game Crisises, especially from a narrative angle. The Grey tempest on the other hand is fucking awful, because either you have to delay a lot before you open gates (risking losing the cluster) or take a major gamble early.

Well, with all the contacts I've made 2230-2235, the Kram'col have moved even farther down the Priorities list, tbh.
Well, this bodes well for the Vanerrans' ambitions to restore the empire... still though, I'm sure they'll be able to, Tychea willing.

Since you said you're going back to work soon, about how frequently can we expect updates going forward?

Well, this bodes well for the Vanerrans' ambitions to restore the empire... still though, I'm sure they'll be able to, Tychea willing.

Since you said you're going back to work soon, about how frequently can we expect updates going forward?

It's variable.

I have the Purity Order Dossier and Chapter 3b done. In the interests of accounting for my return to work, I'm holding both back for a bit - the Purity Order Dossier will go up late tonight, and Chapter 3b tomorrow night.

After that, I'm not sure. I'd like to say a chapter a week - that is, the domestic side and the exploration side coming out within a single week, but that also depends on how many Dossiers I need to do as we go.

At the very least, for the forseeable future after Wednesday (that is, the next month or so), you should get *something* every 3-4 days, even if it's just a tiny lore Interlude or something.

Another good intel dossier! Work does interfere far too much with enjoyment... Still, look forward to the rest of the updates as they come.

IIS Dossier: The Purity Order
IMPERIAL INTELLIGENCE SERVICE BRIEFING DOSSIER
CHILDREN OF EARTH DEPARTMENT
DOSSIER: PURITY ORDER

A cursory briefing for the Assembly of Higher Minds. No classified Data not authorized for Assembly viewing is contained therein.

Purity-Order-Dossier.png

In 2223, what could well be the greatest enemy of the Empire has been found - the Purity Order. Based on intercepted messages and stealthed scout ships, we have determined that not only does the Purity Order seek to exterminate our people or even aberrant-appearing Children of Men and aliens, but indeed, all life in the galaxy, even baseline humans, that don't match their extremely narrow (and entirely fictitious in terms of human genetic history) definition of 'pure', which blanks out everything outside of themselves.

So not only are they a threat to our Empire and our dominance of the Children of Earth, even if we can hold them off, if they are allowed to roam free, they will exterminate any and all Children of Earth they can find.

Elkar Mairos and the Myth of the 'Tainting'

During the middle years of the Second Empire, a would-be prophet and disgraced criminal geneticist named Elkar Mairos began an underground movement - hiding in the darkest levels of the empire, communicating in coded signals between other signals and preying on the most xenophobic and hateful of humans.

Elkar propagated an entirely fictitious narrative as to the genetic history of humanity - in his version of humanity, of human history, Earth had been a world of strict regimentation, harsh discipline and communal hierarchy and loyalty to the central authority - the Tribe.

It was only after the spread to other stars that the adaptive, quarrelsome nature of humanity took fore, and this was entirely the work of a cabal of 'mutants, aliens and genetic defectives' that had taken over the Empire of Three Crowns, taken over all of Man and spread a retrovirus that changed humanity, inducing a quarrelsome nature to start the Colonial Unification War, so they could cement their control of Man and then induce more genetic changes.

Or something like that. Elkar's nonsense gets increasingly incoherent the more you read it.

In this reading, the Skreeth actually worked for this cabal, and the destruction of the First Empire was their work, as was the Ravening itself, all to create countless isolated gene pools they could continue to manipulate through their evil, all power galaxy wide conspiracy.
Elkar created his own retrovirus that, when introduced in the bloodstream, could supposedly 'fix' the changes this evil cabal induced into baseline humans - anyone more changed than that was a complete loss and would have to be destroyed to protect the Purity of the True Humans.

Pureborn-Race.png

As you can see, apart from a tendency to be wasteful and a visual similarity, Elkar's 'Pureborn' have very little in common with the true baseline genetic configuration of humans.

He gathered together a not insignificant following, gave them all the retrovirus, and started a campaign of terror on across the Kaltar Sector, focusing on the more visually and genetically aberrant types of the Children of Earth - Psilons and Orcs receiving the worst of his treatment. His cult's reign of terror lasted for five years, though the last two was a fighting retreat back to his asteroid lab and base - and yes, by all available accounts, it was exactly as cliche as it sounded.

Elkar was killed in the assault, but over a thousand of his followers escaped in a captured Carrier-Battleship, and preyed on the trade lanes as pirates for nearly a decade before vanishing. And it is at that point that they vanish from our deepest dives into our historical archives.

Creating the Purity Order

Purity-Order-Home-System.png

It would seem that at some point in the intervening years between then and now., they moved to the frontier, fringe, oft-ignored Antarkos system, and in a surprisingly subtle project, spent years introducing Elkar's retrovirus into the air and water of Antarkos Prime and slowly asserting control of the planet. They took control of all mechanisms for offworld communication, and kept hidden word of what was happening when it suited them. Essentially, they operated exactly like the nonsensical evil cabal they claim ruined humanity.

When the Kishrath invaded the Second Empire and then the generals launched their coup, the Order made to seize absolute control of the planet, the local defense ships and the system starbase, as well as all outlying stations.

They were partially unsuccessful, and a brutal, thirty-seven year civil war occurred. Assuming we can believe any of the 'official history' of the Purity Order. It was during this war that the absolute despotism developed and a so called 'Inner Ring' was created. It is the Inner Ring that control the Order and select each successive Executor.

During this war, they lost the ability to make more of the retrovirus thanks to the efforts of rebels, and thus, even baseline humans must be destroyed, as they can no longer be 'cured'. It also destroyed much of their orbital and space infrastructure, knocking them backwards and it is only recently, as with us, that they have been able to fully exploit their home system.

The order's regime is oppressive, propagandistic and totalitarian, and appears entirely willing to eliminate all notion of the truth. There is a narrative of total siege mentality in the Order - the first contact with the ISS Nerdyn, for example, has been reimagined as an attack by a dozen corvettes on their brave and outnumbered starbase and border cutters, and only through the superior will of the Pureborn and their admittedly impressive shielding technology were they able to throw back our 'invasion'. Even the Gaians have supposedly attacked them en masse at this point.

Purity-Order-Space.png

The Order has expanded quickly and by all accounts would only like to expand more. Further, they appear to have the most powerful fleet of all known powers.

Puritan Culture

To speak of a culture in the Purity Order is to elevate blatant jingoistic propaganda, reality-denying narratives and tired, repetitive and extremely cliched morality plays to the level of culture.

Every work of fiction, every work of art, every piece of media is carefully crafted and controlled by agents of the 'Inner Ring' to propagate the ideals of the order, to inculcate in the population a xenophobic, fanatical siege mentality. It is presumed that there must be some dissent - historically, no totalitarian regime has ever managed to be as total as they would like - but there is no visible evidence of such dissent to our scout-ships and message intercepts.

The 'culture' of the Pureborn feeds them a steady diet of hate, venom and bile. There is no redeeming value in any of the cultural output of the Purity Order.

IIS Recommendations

War.

There is only one viable solution: Once we have a navy of significant size and have built up mobile army forces that can launch invaions on significant scale, we must invade the Purity Order, seize as many of their spaceborn assets as possible and as many of their planets as we can.

The 'Pureborn' themselves must be reeducated and their hateful mania untaught, and the entirity of the 'Inner Ring' must be tried and executed for Crimes Against Sentient Life. The Pureborn are Children of Earth - their leadership are monsters, but the mass bulk of their population can and should be brought into the Unity we must bring to all the Children of Earth.

Very interesting dossier... I especially like the notion that the people themselves can be saved, once the leadership is eradicated - it is almost reminiscent of Nazi Germany, that the people were not aware of the true evils being conducted and saw only that they were forced to defend themselves from foreign invasion and interference.

Very interesting dossier... I especially like the notion that the people themselves can be saved, once the leadership is eradicated - it is almost reminiscent of Nazi Germany, that the people were not aware of the true evils being conducted and saw only that they were forced to defend themselves from foreign invasion and interference.

Well, I did specifically model the ideology of the Purity Order - especially in terms of that evil conspiracy that Elkar Mairos talked about and the constant siege mentality on that of Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists here in the US and other related groups in Western countries, in terms of 'what if these freak jobs got a state', so the reminiscence to Nazi Germany is entirely to be expected.

Because the thing is, the Purity Order is everything that makes Nazis and the modern "Alt-Right" Awful, ramps it up to 11 and takes away any notion of subtlety or finesse.

It comes across well in the narrative.

A very simple recommendation from the IIS on the so-called Pureborn.

Personally I would go Xenophilic, get the Xeno-compatibility AP, and imagine the the cries of rage :D