• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 10: Operation Green
1 July 1940 - 1 January 1941

On the 12th of July, Germany commenced the invasion of Switzerland.

ScreenSave0_zpsyo1fvcm0.png

I give it a week...

The battles for control over the Swiss mountains were very bloody, but Germany prevailed.

ScreenSave1_zpsrir362bm.png

ScreenSave2_zpsse9bbtz2.png

ScreenSave3_zpsg43htixb.png

Within 10 days, Switzerland became a part of the German Reich.

ScreenSave4_zpsq0rw5e1q.png

Italy was having a successful offensive in North Africa.

ScreenSave5_zpszbp22das.png

Troops were stacking up on the German-Soviet border. War seemed unavoidable, but no one dared make a move so close to the winter.

ScreenSave6_zpsgaficsml.png

Chickens!!
The Syrians joined the Axis and (thanks to German support) rapidly annexed the British puppet of Iraq.

ScreenSave8_zpsntjrn5ha.png

ScreenSave9_zpsycirr56c.png

"There shall never be war in Iraq and Syria ... never, ever, again!!!" - yeah, right...

ScreenSave11_zpsnajfq5nx.png

Yearly status Report - 5 year edition
1 January 1941

- Japan is stuck
- The Brits and Italians are fighting it out in North Africa
- The Middle East is under axis control
- German troops are preparing for the invasion of the Soviet Union

ScreenSave13_zpswzq9lf8z.png

- The German armed forces are increasing in numbers

ScreenSave14_zpswh7rgky2.png

Germany is close to occupying 1/4 of the Worlds important areas. The only significant threat at the moment is the Soviet Union.

ScreenSave15_zpsrmsz4gjb.png

- In the last 5 years, the greatest 6 army powers have expanded greatly.
- The Soviet Union still greatly outnumbers any other nation
- This could prove problematic in the war to come

ScreenSave16_zpsogmrfzzu.png

- China still leads with the most dead men (close to 1.3 million).
- Japan follows closely.
- The UK has clearly lost the most airplanes (around 5100)
- Even though highly successful, it has still taken it's toll on the Luftwaffe (over 2600 lost airplanes).
- Thanks to our mechanized warfare, we have lost the most trucks and tanks (over 2500)
- This should rapidly change considering the incredible amount of tanks that the Soviet Union has.

ScreenSave17_zpsjbwx3y5m.png

- Though small in numbers (doesn't even show in the top 6), the Kriegsmarine has proven the most deadly.
- The Axis fleet have been successful in destroying enemy fleets.
- Still the Allied fleets keep growing in numbers.

ScreenSave18_zpsxk3dopxf.png

I used the nofog command on January 1st and took some screenshots of the stats screen in order to make those last 3 pictures. Hope that is OK ;). I'll do it again in '46 (if we make it that far...) for 10 years.
Anyway, I think the game will get a bit more crazy in the chapters to come. Hope that can make up for the fact of less frequency of chapters.

Peace!
Marsh

This is a great AAR, I really like your style! Can't wait for the next update.

Thanks and welcome Lios7. I can't make any promises, but will try to make a new update in the weekend

Chapter 11: Operation Barbarossa part 1
1 January 1941 - 13 February 1941

On the midnight of the first of February, Germany declared war on the Soviet Giant. Hoping the winter offensive would come as a surprise.

ScreenSave0_zpse6ceifgh.png

The Germans were outnumbered on all fronts. Their only advantage was surprise.

ScreenSave1_zpshxlvvxih.png

That's a lot of troops in such a small island...
In Scandinavia, the Soviets had a number of tank divisions as well as plenty of infantry support. The Germans hoped that their mountain divisions would prevail in this unforgiving and cold terrain.

ScreenSave2_zpskftozlo8.png

"What about when the winter ends?" - Some annoying guy that bothers thinking long term
On the main front, the German army pushed in the north, center and south. The German bombers were supported by the Hungarian fighters. The German fighter force was still in the Atlantic coast, fighting off the Allied air force.

ScreenSave3_zpsddcotcn9.png

The attacks began at sunrise.

ScreenSave4_zpsv2tzpblu.png

Before lunch, the Germans had their first breakthrough.

ScreenSave5_zpst4rtahhu.png

How is this worth reporting?
For the first few days of the conflict, the Germans had problems with transport capacity. Luckily it normalized after a few days.

ScreenSave6_zpsngacs0ar.png

Those must be some very heavy tanks!
The first major victory was achieved 3 days later.

ScreenSave9_zpslxbvlajd.png

On the same day, the Kriegsmarine intercepted a Soviet submarine.

ScreenSave10_zpsfxumic92.png

The Soviets outnumbered the axis in the air. Control of the skies seemed unlikely. Not unless the Atlantic battle was abandoned and the industrial areas left unprotected.

ScreenSave11_zpsczdrj22f.png

ScreenSave12_zpsqfindm4j.png

The armies in the North were very successful in their advance. Their overconfidence was a bit worrying.

ScreenSave14_zps86qsv4mx.png

Oh, wow... another ranger...
The battle of Bielsk came to an end. It was very costly for both sides.

ScreenSave15_zpsptqnazct.png

The Soviet air force was fierce.

ScreenSave16_zpsgzybkal4.png

In Scandinavia, the Soviet Union started counterattacking in order to try and slow down the German advance.

ScreenSave17_zpssqryilbe.png

This is the winter war all over again ... I like it!

ScreenSave18_zpsamtycche.png

ScreenSave20_zpskrljcssr.png

The German mountain divisions are loosing their momentum...

tumblr_nf97qmqr4P1u27pz3o1_1280.png

"I can see Riga from my house!" - Crazy German politician

YES! :)

Well, the reason behind it was that last time it took 4½ years to end the war with the Soviets, so I thought that I would rather have a winter in the start, than later when supplies are scarcer and troops are weaker.

But we'll see... maybe there will be Red Army Victory Parade in 1942 ;)

Chapter 12: Operation Barbarossa part 2
13 February 1941 - 6 March 1941

At this point the German troops were properly supplied. There were only minor issues reaching the armies in the North peak of Scandinavia.

ScreenSave22_zpsn4cvj1va.png

The offensive in Scandinavia was meeting fiercer Soviet resistance

ScreenSave23_zps3pgnjkv3.png

15 days into the invasion, the German army suffers their first defeat. Ten thousand German men lost their lives in trying to capture Jelgava.

ScreenSave24_zps21uca0p2.png

Ouch!
The German mountaineers continue their offensive further into Finland.

ScreenSave25_zpsqylwj78d.png

Even with recent complications, the German army continues its advance.

ScreenSave26_zpspfsnuubg.png

"inb4 Germany out of manpower July 1941" - Strange time-travelling man

ScreenSave27_zpsgkbra1sc.png

"We are at the doors of Moscow..." - German radio program
Soviet troops are a bunch of toddlers with stick in comparison to the mighty German army.

ScreenSave28_zpsx8q1m3op.png

In the meantime, the Luftwaffe and the RAF continue their never-ending battle for the skies in France.

ScreenSave29_zpskqwkrkoz.png

The German army regains control of the offensive in the North.

ScreenSave30_zpsdg4qykpe.png

On the 25th of February, good news arrive from Scandinavia.

ScreenSave31_zps3tjswqdw.png

"Good news!? It cost 6 thousand men to capture a meaningless Scandinavian province!" - German politician who died of natural causes on the next day. RIP
The Germans assure the Führer that they would reach the river Daugava in March.

ScreenSave33_zpsgjlrylp6.png

Stanisławów is also added to that list.

ScreenSave34_zpszllmn4nu.png

The German Panzer Division arrives in Kowel too fast and isn't able to hold it long enough for the reinforcements to arrive.

ScreenSave37_zpsrhr3aelg.png

Another Panzer Division steps in and tries to hold the province until the infantry divisions arrive.

ScreenSave38_zpsoyw1jrlz.png

A massive German victory in the North boosts German morale as expectations rise for a successful spring offensive.

ScreenSave39_zpsm4kmuj8m.png

"The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness." - Most politically incorrect speech by the most politically incorrect guy

Chapter 13: The fall of Paris
6 March 1941 - 20 April 1941

As the snow melted, the German armed forces developed a plan to encircle a number of German troops in Moldova, while securing the key province of Odessa.

00_zps21ballml.png

Wait... fall of Paris?! You can't throw that bombshell and expect us to ignore it!
You will have to wait, just like everybody else! The first part of the plan was capturing Lvov

ScreenSave0_zpsu8tb5qjl.png

Easy!
On the 12th of March, the French Resistance occupied Paris. They were rapidly destroyed by nearby troops.

ScreenSave1_zpstuumt3ad.png

This was underwhelming... BU!!!! BU!!!! YOU TRICKED ME!!!!

ScreenSave2_zpsrhflcj6p.png

In the North, troops where getting closer to the river Daugava every day.

ScreenSave3_zpszscxnqtm.png

ScreenSave4_zpsmzcoizfa.png

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Unfortunately, the large numbers of Soviet troops in Finland had halted the Scandinavian offensive.

ScreenSave5_zpshbii86g9.png

With the capture of Lvov, Stanisławów was the next target. Unfortunately, the German Panzer divisions kept arriving way too early.

ScreenSave6_zps0ws1undx.png

Those panzers don't look very good.
The Soviets fought hard for every inch of land in the North.

ScreenSave7_zps1k4a1vnu.png

Eventually, reinforcements arrived to Lvov. The German army turned its eyes towards Stanisławów.

ScreenSave8_zpsoufcfzth.png

ScreenSave9_zpsfcn1yo04.png

"We really need another Ranger!" - Never heard in German military history
As the Germans advanced into Stanislawow, orders were sent to the North that the Panzer army had to head south and support the other 2 in the plan to capture Odessa.

ScreenSave10_zps93kn2ykr.png

ScreenSave11_zpsrxqz0msp.png

Hello Daugava!
Once again, the Panzers are pushed back before the infantry arrives.

ScreenSave12_zps3f60h04y.png

ScreenSave14_zpsjnhhgsnm.png

42 against 5 doesn't seem fair...
Spring is catching up with the front line. Germany start pushing harder to rapidly reach Odessa.

ScreenSave15_zpsmehejzlg.png

With Stanislawow in German hands, Odessa is just 3 provinces away.

ScreenSave16_zpsyyrjtd1h.png

In Scandinavia, Germany takes advantage of a short Soviet weakness and goes on the offensive.

ScreenSave17_zpstqtrq5ho.png

ScreenSave18_zpsigv3jhzj.png

So far, so good...
But the road to Oulu is long and filled with Soviet resistance.

ScreenSave19_zpsecoe4wux.png

"Tomorrow, the Tripartite Pact will become an instrument of just peace between the peoples. Italians! Once more arise and be worthy of this historical hour! We shall win." - Italian guy before making the worst decision of his political carrier.

Marshall, there are quite a lot of improvements that could be made to make Barbarossa more successful.
Use axis minor allies to garrison the western seaboard. This frees up GER inf, mtn & arm divs for Russian offensive.
Upgrade light tank to medium tank.
Upgrade Inf 39 to Inf 41.
For start of Barbarossa GER should already have all Inf41 and all medium tanks. But given the early start this is harder to achieve.

Marshall, there are quite a lot of improvements that could be made to make Barbarossa more successful.
Use axis minor allies to garrison the western seaboard. This frees up GER inf, mtn & arm divs for Russian offensive.
Upgrade light tank to medium tank.
Upgrade Inf 39 to Inf 41.
For start of Barbarossa GER should already have all Inf41 and all medium tanks. But given the early start this is harder to achieve.
Those are some very good points. A bit late though (a lot late, because I am actually a few chapters ahead). But nice to know this stuff for my next campaign. And about the stuff that can still be done, I'll pass it on to the High Command!

Hey now, don't leave us hanging. Surely the High Command has plans on the Eastern Front.

Yes. I am so very sorry. I have been super busy in the last few days. I actually have some screens ready for upload. I promise I will write the next chapter as soon as I get some time.

SPOILER: Something crazy will happen soon.

WARNING: The weak of heart are adviced to skip this chapter

Chapter 14: Verhängnis
20 April 1941 - 21 May 1941

The German army was attempting to encircle the enemy forces in Moldova. All German Panzer divisions as well as the whole Hungarian army and a large amount of German infantry where taking part in this offensive.

ScreenSave20_zpswscd6mct.png

2 to go. What could possibly go wrong?
The armies not taking part in the offensive are ordered to create a distraction.

ScreenSave21_zpsdjozf3jd.png

That was one expensive distraction!
The German Panzers advance towards Malta.

ScreenSave22_zpskyuzeddi.png

I feel like I should be making a joke/pun here...
The Soviets try to start their own offensive, but the Hungarian army stands its ground.

ScreenSave23_zpsg3y1chbn.png

Stryj one!
The battle for Pinsk is long and bloody. Both sides are fighting hard for control of this land.

ScreenSave24_zpslzcfbwr6.png

Uh! Balta!
Yes! Good eye! As Balta falls, the Germans work on widening the front into Odessa

ScreenSave25_zpsjsh34ryh.png

Balta?
In a very short attack, the Soviets puch back the Hungarian army in Stanislawow. Suddenly 21 Axis divisions, including all German Panzers are in Danger of being encircled.

ScreenSave26_zpsm1iconam.png

They give up quite easily, those Hungarians...
In the meantime, the Germans are pushed back from Pinsk. Both sides have lost over 30k men during the battle for Pinsk and the front remains the same.

ScreenSave27_zpsmvgljyoh.png

I see the Panzers are trying to fall back

ScreenSave28_zpsjg2dhmkw.png

Will they make it?
The Panzers reach Stanislawow, but in a moment of distraction, they start retreating in the wrong direction.

ScreenSave29_zps3lougatn.png

Thanks Obama!

ScreenSave30_zpspqk6imsc.png

Yeah... someone is getting fired!
The Soviets now have the upper hand.

ScreenSave31_zps8bsbzgr1.png

Not just the hand, but the whole arm!
Eventually, the Soviet army enters Stanislawow, forcing the Germans to throw everything they have at it, in order to save their Panzers.

ScreenSave32_zpsgzcpbq2j.png

Don't loose hope!
It seems like not all is lost. The Germans try to start evacuation once more.

ScreenSave33_zpsxuoxlngt.png

I believe I can fly!!! I believe I can touch the sky!!!!!......
The Soviets take advantage og this and start attacking the German Panzers. One by one they are destroyed.

ScreenSave34_zps33cwwc4m.png

No

ScreenSave35_zpsn1ulq8yi.png

NO.

ScreenSave36_zps3cvd4f44.png

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suddenly all that remains are the Hungarian divisions.

ScreenSave37_zps8ki249fe.png

*speechless*
Luckily it seems like they will be evacuated.

ScreenSave38_zpshpmz19ad.png

I QUIT!
Or not...

ScreenSave39_zpsee57o75k.png

Needed: Man with regular English skills to write terrible puns.
With the destruction of the German tanks, the hope of a successful German offensive suddenly fades away.