• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So... shotgun wedding? I wonder when all of this marrying for love will come back to bite the Moravian royal family. The nobles can't be happy about it.

Also, Otakar is king now! Does that mean that we'll see more of his new relationship with Lisa (and, like, Artemie's reaction to it)?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Forty-One
FORTY-ONE.
Bells and Bulbs

19 January 1609 – 13 May 1612

‘You don’t need to be so solemn and nervous,’ Anet told her husband.

‘Who’s nervous?’

Anet’s smile-lines deepened as she gazed up at him. Their newborn son was suckling happily at her breast as she lay in bed. ‘It’s alright, Wojk,’ she told him. ‘I know how it is. I hear it’s common for young new fathers to be a bit… apprehensive at the thought of taking responsibility for raising a child.’

‘Are you suggesting I can’t?’ asked Wojen, affronted.

Anet shook her head as she chuckled at him. ‘You really are too easy to provoke, jandźel mój!’

Wojen couldn’t help it. He grinned back at her and swatted her lightly with a loose pillow. ‘You pest!’

‘Hey, watch it! Nursing mother here!’ But Anet was quite complacent about it, and she was smiling.

Wojen put the pillow back, bit his lip, and said: ‘Just.’

Anet shook her head. ‘Too obvious.’

‘Ławrjenc? Rajnar?’ Wojen suggested. Anet pulled a face to show what she thought of those options.

Anet took on a thoughtful look. ‘Wojk… what do you think of the name Mnata?’

‘Mnata? Like, “memory”?’

eu4_1422a.png

‘Sure! In legend, Mnata was the father of the first Wojen, each of them among the seven ancestral princes of Bohemia. But I also like the meaning. Wojen Rychnovský,’ Anet stroked her husband’s boyish face, ‘I’d been in love with you for so long… I don’t even know when or how the duty to your house in which I was raised turned into such a passion. So I want to remember how much you mean to me. Every day and every night when I look at our son, I want to remember how much I treasure you.’

Wojen lifted his wife’s hand and kissed it. ‘I’m right here, Anetočka. I’m not going anywhere. But Mnata is a fine name. Our son will do it credit.’

~~~

eu4_1422b.png
eu4_1423a.png
eu4_1424a.png

eu4_1425a.png
eu4_1426a.png

The new Kráľ of Moravia, Otakar Rychnovský, made it a particular point to keep the foreign relations of the nation stable and continuous. He reached out to Wójwoda Wojen 2. of Drježdźany, naturally, to renew ties. And he also renewed ties with Veliky Rus’ under Tsar’ Aleksandr 3. Rychnovský; with Bayern under König Dietpold 4. von der Tann; with Carpathia under Általános Budimír 2. Detvanský; and with Lord Protector Jeansa 3. Saiva of the Kola Protectorate. Otakar did not look to reestablish the old colonial ‘northern policy’, and instead held to the geopolitical principle of ‘fortifying the West’. In fact, he undertook a rather unorthodox (in several ways) method of assuring that fortification.

He made an additional offer of marriage, of one of his young nieces, to one of the young British swains of the Caerhirfryn blood. To Queen Prawst, this offer came as an evident surprise—but it was by no means an unwelcome one. Prawst sent back to Kráľ Otakar the courteous reply:

It would of course bring great Pleasure to Us, to accept the most welcome and gracious Offer of your Majesty of your sweet-tempered, polite and most charming Kinswoman Sweetlane to Our own Prince Siôr. We are not unaware of the most venerable Ties which unite the Destiny of Moravia to Our own most fair Isles; and it is a distinct Sign of our Creator’s most Holy Providence that your Majesty seeks to renew them. Although we are most advantageously situated in terms of our God-given Defences upon the Waters, the promise of a Friendship upon the Continent is received with the most heartfelt Joy…’

eu4_1432a.png
eu4_1433a.png

With the marriage of Siôr ap Prawst o Gaerhirfryn to Svietlana Rychnovská, the royal ties between Great Britain and Great Moravia were sealed. There was little doubt that politics played as much of a role in the match as any other consideration, as indicated in Queen Prawst’s letter. After all, Britain and Moravia had at least one common enemy in Ostfranken, and the East Franks would certainly think twice before beginning any action that would place them in crossfire between a predominant naval power and a newly-respectable land one.

The improvements to the process of smelting iron had some unforeseen effects. The creation of cementing powder, demanded by the blister process, left uncovered some rather large deposits of limestone, chalk and quartz… and with a surplus of these minerals, the glassblowers of Lužice began to experiment.

eu4_1428a.png

The glassblowers’ guild in Lužice found that the mixture of potash and chalk formed a bright, clear, colourless glass that was also remarkably pliant when it was still hot, and could be easily cut or blown into numerous and wonderful shapes. The high-quality glass, which could be fluted or sanded or polished or set with precious metals at will, quickly outpaced the competition from Venezia, and very soon Bohemian glass became a luxury item favoured by much of Europe’s wealthy—not only in Bayern, Ruthenia and Carpathia.

~~~​

In many ways, however, Otakar’s reign was quite similar to that of his father. He favoured the advice of Ctibor Komenský at court, for example. Although Ctibor Komenský’s views on political economy were nothing short of radical, even his bitterest critics and foes at court had to acknowledge the sheer force of his intellect… and his political astuteness. He continued to advocate for soft money policies and for protection of Moravia’s vulnerable crafts and new industries, and with the beginnings of a Bohemian ascendancy in glassware on the horizon, even his more radical policies proved popular for a time. Not few were the merchants, however, who demurred… and Otakar’s reign continued to be troubled by defections of Moravia’s merchants to foreign courts.

eu4_1436a.png
eu4_1429a.png

The improvements in ironmaking spurred improvements in weaponry as well. The West Francian invention of the flint lock, a striking-mechanism which used the friction of flint to ignite the powder, was quickly incorporated into Moravian guns, and the better-quality steel produced from blister furnaces provided a much easier and less temperamental pivot for the hammer. The resulting flintlock pistols and muskets were much more reliable and easier to fire.

And Otakar’s new British ties seemed to have paid off remarkably well, albeit in an unexpected way. Many of the Western European powers had invested heavily in their overseas colonies. The Neustrian Antilles were, of course, the oldest of these. But the Scots had colonised an island in the north Atlantic which they called ‘Newfoundland’, and had set up a trading and trapping company that operated in the estuary of the Saint Lawrence River. The Muslim Asturians had set up port towns along the coastline of Brazil in the south, as had the Catalans. And the British had founded a colony in the Guianas which they had named ‘Amappa’, a name stemming from one of the Indigenous languages.

eu4_1441a.png
eu4_1442a.png

From Amappa, the British had conducted several expeditions southward until they came to the Perenave River (also a loanword from the local Tupi dialect). One of the members of that expedition had discovered a large deposit of alluvial diamonds in a tributary of that river—and the British had thereupon sent out prospectors and military personnel to stake their claims before the Muslims could. There was a small diamond rush toward the new British settlement of Adamantine on the Perenave, and British coffers benefitted immensely from the new influx of wealth.

eu4_1452a.png

Otakar patronised many of these new developments, or at the very least did not discourage them. That having been said, the restoration of the Stavovské Zhromaždenie did have something to do with Moravia’s continued pace of innovation. Preškapitán Oleg ze Lvovic had been an enthusiastic adopter of new technologies while he was alive, and it looked as though his replacement, a young man named Zdravomil z Nostic, would be equally so. Two other factors in the embrace of all these new technologies, were the predominance of the printing presses in Moravia, and the general mood of optimism that was evident in Moravian high society.

eu4_1446a.png
eu4_1448a.png

eu4_1437a.png
eu4_1456a.png

However, the Church was much happier with Otakar’s rule than they had been with Tomáš’s. Otakar was a true Orthodox believer, and he had long been active in the life of the Church. Much of his own personal wealth had gone into the Church’s various charitable and philanthropic projects. And he hearkened to a monk of advanced age, the Priestmonk Gabriel (Bystřický), as his kmet, or spiritual father. The influence of Father Gabriel upon Otakar’s personal behaviour and comportment could be readily felt. Otakar could often be seen praying the prayer-rope softly to himself in his quiet moments, and his struggles to attain inward peace were noticeable.

Kráľ Otakar upheld the Church’s authority, and was zealous both for its independence from and cooperation with the state. Once again, when the nation was faced with the Nedržitelia who sought the reform of the Church, Otakar came down on the side of the hierarchs against them. And for its own part, the Moravian Orthodox Church could not remember a Kráľ who listened to the archbishops and bishops in the Zhromaždenie with such great deference since the time of Vojtech 3.

eu4_1449a.png
eu4_1450a.png

But the real test came with the renovation of the Cathedral in Nový Sadec.

The Moravian Orthodox Church, by law, held jurisdiction only over those lands which had traditionally belonged to Great Moravia: Bohemia, Moravia, Upper (but not Lower) Silesia, Nitra and Užhorod. Everything east of Užhorod—including Siget—lay under the technical jurisdiction of the Metropolitan of Mozyř in Great Rus’. And to the north of Užhorod, the lands of Vislania had their own Metropolitan with his own jurisdiction, who was not under that of the Archbishop of Moravia. But he still swore temporal fealty to the Kráľ of Moravia. There were actually good historical reasons for this. Nový Sadec had been given special rights by Radomír 4., had long been independent of Moravia, and even after the rule of Róbert Rychnovský had retained a significant degree of local sovereignty.

The kirk in Nový Sadec dated back to the times of Saint Ilia (Ilık) Aqhazar, a Karaite Jew who converted to the Orthodox faith upon swearing fealty to (and being enfeoffed by) Kráľ Pravoslav. This 600-year-old church had been gradually expanded and restructured into a cathedral, and the seat of the Metropolitan of Vislania, but it was in dire need of repair and (if Otakar said so himself) a thoroughgoing renovation. Kráľ Otakar technically didn’t owe it to the Metropolitan of Vislania to invest in such a project—but he did so anyway, going far beyond the normal demands of repair and providing a thorough overhaul to the structure. Though he kept the traditional layout of the old kirk of Saint Ilia, he nevertheless built it up so that the walls and domed roof were sturdier and more enduring.

eu4_1457a.png

~~~​

‘I only wish he would consult me first.’

‘Milady,’ said the chambermaid, ‘I’m sure he doesn’t mean to—’

Of course he means to!’ Queen Vasilisa snapped. Then she immediately thought better of it. ‘I know you mean well, Magdalena. You’re only trying to comfort me. You aren’t the one I’m upset with. Forgive me.’

‘Your lordly husband,’ said Magdalena, ‘still cares a great deal about you.’

‘Oh?’ Vasilisa laughed bitterly. ‘He won’t even look at me these days. He’s too busy running around—entertaining British diplomats, consulting with Nostic on fortifications and with Komenský on political economy, conducting military reviews, now seeing to the renovation of this cathedral. I could help him in all of that… if he’d let me.’

‘Perhaps…’ ventured Magdalena, before biting off the rest of what she was about to say.

‘Go on,’ bade the Queen.

‘It may be, moja Kráľovná, that your husband still thinks on you as a girl… as immature. Perhaps there are ways that you can show him how much you’ve learned, matured?’

Vasilisa smiled. ‘Has anyone ever told you, Magdalena, that you take great liberties with your station?’

Magdalena tilted her head coyly.

‘I’m not going to say you’re wrong,’ the Kráľovná spoke. ‘Impertinent, perhaps. But not wrong.’

Magdalena knew that Queen Vasilisa was a lenient and even generous mistress; she wouldn’t punish a bit of well-meaning boldness from her chambermaid. Indeed, she might even think on it, consider it… perhaps even act upon it when the time was right.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Apologies for not having replied in a more substantive way to the comments here! School year's just started, and I'm diving into another year of teaching. But here goes:

Been lurking for I think about 2 years now- Having just created my own account I would like to compliment you on this amazing project that I will continue to follow, though maybe not reply too often. You have obviously put a lot of hard work into this story, especially being able to have the characters remain fresh after 20+ generations of them. Looking forward to the future chapters, especially since if I'm reading this right there will be a dynasty change sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Thank you very much, @NinetyDegreeZ! Glad to have you aboard. And yes, you are reading this quite right...

So... shotgun wedding? I wonder when all of this marrying for love will come back to bite the Moravian royal family. The nobles can't be happy about it.

Also, Otakar is king now! Does that mean that we'll see more of his new relationship with Lisa (and, like, Artemie's reaction to it)?

Yes to both. There are going to be certain repercussions for both Tomas's and Otakar's policies. And we will certainly see more of Vasilisa.

@NinetyDegreeZ, welcome to commenting. Please journey around the streets of the forum.

The Kral needs an heir, will Woten apply? Thanks

Well, Wojen's in another line of the Rychnovsky family, the one which rules the Sorbs. The question of Moravia's heir is still very much up for grabs...

Reactions:
Well, at least that ending indicates that Moravia might soon have an heir of Otakar's line...

The alliances are certainly good news - Moravia needs all the allies it can get, especially after the fiasco that was the war with the Papal States.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Forty-Two
FORTY-TWO.
… Would Smell as Sweet

11 January 1612 – 2 July 1615

Otakar came in through the chamber door, and shuffled toward his bed. It had been another long day, notwithstanding the feast of Theophany just past. The business of keeping the Moravian state guided in the right direction was no mean or simple task. And restoring the Rychnovských in their credit with the Zhromaždenie was much easier said than done. His solace had been, as it so often had, in the words of Christ’s wisdom and peace which Fr Gabriel had vouchsafed to him.

He was surprised to see Vasilisa there, perched on the edge of the bed, already in her nightgown and brushing out her long strawberry-blonde hair—normally done up tight when she was out. Usually she was asleep by the time he was able to return. She glanced up at him.

‘You’re back early,’ Lisa noted, nodding to the graded candle on the bedstand.

‘So I am,’ Otakar acknowledged.

‘Shriven clean?’ she asked.

‘Mm.’

‘It’s well,’ she continued. ‘I made a significant contribution to Saint Rodana’s this past week in both of our names, together with my own prayers.’

Otakar took a longer look at his wife at this admission. He had known Vasilisa Štefánikova from a child; he had grown attracted to her as a young woman; and upon having wed her he’d found they had too little in common. But now it seemed to him suddenly that Vasilisa, whatever faults in her understanding or gaps in her upbringing that had caused this rift to grow between them, was still very much the young woman he’d fallen in love with: she still had the same compassionate heart and generous nature. Hard to call her a ‘young’ woman anymore at the age of thirty-two, but then with him being sixty she would always appear young in his eyes.

‘What?’ Vasilisa asked—her green eyes sparkling suspiciously. ‘What’s so funny, Otakar? There’s a snarl, isn’t there? Well, don’t be a churl! Point it out to me so I can get it sorted!’

Otakar couldn’t help it: his chuckle came forth audibly now.

‘Fine, then—don’t help me.’

‘Forgive me, Lisa,’ Otakar managed at last. ‘There’s nothing the matter with your hair.’

‘Then what is so funny?’ Vasilisa demanded.

eu4_1459a.png

Otakar sat beside her on the bed. ‘I just caught myself… remembering when we first married. Remembering how much we meant to each other. I laughed at myself. I hadn’t realised how much you still mean to me.’

Vasilisa swatted him playfully. ‘That won’t get you anywhere,’ she warned him. But her eyes and the corners of her mouth had already softened complacently.

‘I mean it,’ said Otakar.

Vasilisa paused, set aside the brush, and traced Otakar’s bearded face with her hand. She searched his eyes for any hint of mockery and deceit—and finding none, she murmured, ‘You’d better.’

Otakar showed Vasilisa how much he meant it, all that night. He wasn’t quite as limber at sixty as he had been at forty-four, but he could still perform… and to judge by Vasilisa’s expressions after, do so more than adequately. The Kráľ made a concerted attempt thereafter to solicit Vasilisa’s input and opinions on matters of state, and to entrust her with a more significant portion of the household funds. Things thawed quite naturally between them after that, and Lisa could once again be seen on Otakar’s arm in public places and events.

Not only that, but as spring arrived, Vasilisa’s belly began to show at last. The Queen was pregnant—much to the relief of the Inner Zhromaždenie. In October, she bore forth a son, upon whom she and Otakar bestowed the name of Prisnec.

eu4_1460a.png

~~~

eu4_1478a.png
eu4_1461a.png

The dynastic change in Pomerania, with the despot’s crown passing from the Kaloēthēs to the Klokas family, had issued in something of a thaw in Moravian-Pomeranian relations. But the Klokas despots inherited from their Eastern Roman Imperial forebears a despotate largely friendless, severely weakened by numerous wars, and greatly diminished in size. It surprised no one, therefore, when Ostfranken decided to ride up and take a slice out of the middle, supported by their Austrian allies. The Detvanských were allied to the Klokas family, and Carpathia therefore joined the war of defence… but Moravia remained neutral.

What did take some by surprise was that the Pope took the extraordinary action of excommunicating Lennart 2. von Braunschweig, the König of the East Franks, over the action. Pomerania was, after all, an Orthodox state, and the Papacy had hitherto had little interest in protecting the followers of the other four Patriarchs. However, the geopolitical reasons rather outweighed the religious ones in this case. The Pope was Welsh, and the rivalry between Britain and East Francia had escalated to the point where he was just looking for an excuse.

eu4_1462a.png
eu4_1476b.png

Kráľ Otakar, meanwhile, found that being married to the daughter of his best friend Artemie—a more-than-competent Captain of the Moravian Army before his retirement and death—had its advantages. Particularly when Kráľovná Vasilisa began warming back up to him, and when he began entrusting her with more responsibilities. The Queen more than compensated for her husband’s lack of military expertise, and she took the opportunity to show her aplomb in several ways.

The military of Moravia had undertaken some serious reforms already. Cannon were now being mass-produced to compete with the other continental powers. The ‘Karo’ Army model, pioneered by Tomáš 2. after the humiliating defeat by the Papacy, had led to some turnover in the officer corps. But Queen Vasilisa ensured that the standards for officer selection were also revised to suit the new organisation and doctrines. The result was that the officers coming up through the army ranks were in fact of better character and superior intellect.

eu4_1463a.png
eu4_1464a.png

eu4_1465a.png
eu4_1466a.png

Another outbreak of the English sickness ravaged through Olomouc, claiming the life of the Roman Catholic diplomat Radoslav Beckovský. The Inner Zhromaždenie therefore conscripted the talents of a Miaphysite Magyar merchant named Hugolín Elefánthy.

How in the name of heaven a Magyar ended up as a Copt was an utter mystery to Otakar, not to mention to everyone else. But Elefánthy’s talents were evident and they were not put to waste. The investments that he made and the directions that he gave to the Moravian traders in Wien and Pest were truly canny, and the Moravian treasury (as it could now justly be called) was tenfold the flusher because of it.

eu4_1469a.png

eu4_1470a.png
eu4_1471a.png

Almost solely because of Elefánthy’s efforts, Moravia was able to ingratiate itself—albeit in a rather costly way—into the networks of global trade pioneered by their allies in Britain. But Elefánthy became famous primarily for another innovation that further placed Bohemia on the map as a producer of luxury goods for Europe’s elites.

Because of Elefánthy’s religious ties with Alexandria and Nubia, he had a personal network of contacts on the other side of the Middle Sea who were able to get him discount prices on cinnamon, commiphora, olibanum, saffron, terebinth, cardamom and any other number of sweet-smelling seeds, barks, dried flowers, oils and resins. He imported these wholesale into Olomouc, where they were quickly bought up by Bohemian merchants who were eager to try combining these fragrances with local herbs.

The truly successful ones went on to become instant hot-ticket items among court ladies from London to Constantinople. Prague became the perfume capital of Europe. And all, strangely enough, thanks to a Hungarian Copt with a nose for opportunity.

eu4_1472a.png
eu4_1472b.png

~~~​

Kráľ Otakar, together with his much-younger Kráľovná, continued to patronise the Church with unprecedented largesse. Most of the clerical recipients of this wealth—not to mention the sick, indigent and needy who depended on the Church—were duly grateful. But the mercantile, profiteering nature of the recent influx of specie which this philanthropy depended on, did raise a bit of scepticism among the black clergy. Pious Christians were not supposed to speculate or derive benefits at the expense of others; and some of the bishops did let the Kráľ know this.

Oddly enough, though, it was the Metropolitan of Vislania who most publicly called the Kráľ to task.

Otakar had not only given a sizeable donation to Saint Ilia’s Cathedral in Nový Sadec, but he had also personally organised the undertaking of renovating the place. The Metropolitan, though not ungrateful for this assist, nonetheless pointed out the uncanonical nature of the Church relying so heavily upon the State for such projects. Otakar responded, however, by meekly prostrating himself before the Metropolitan and begging forgiveness—before giving him another sizeable donation.

eu4_1468a.png

Despite the excommunication of König Lennart, the war between the East Franks and Pomerania ended how one might easily have predicted. Pomerania had to give up its vital north-south corridor territory around the town of Gniezno, which the East Franks quickly renamed as Gnesen. And Carpathia was forced to cede Békéš and Torontál to Austria, also effectively splitting that kingdom into two non-contiguous parts and giving Austria a significant land border with Eastern Rome.

‘It seems inevitable,’ said Elefánthy to the Kráľ, ‘that a coalition will form against the East Franks. Although it goes against my instincts, I must reluctantly advise you to join.’

In this way, Otakar pledged himself to the defence of his neighbours against any further East Frankish attempts at expansion. However, when war next threatened, it came from a very different quarter.

eu4_1476a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Pope attacking East Francia religiously over politics was interesting. I wonder if it will cause that country to be more receptive to Protestantism.

It's nice to see Otakar and Lisa reconciled... particularly since it got the realm an heir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Forty-Three
FORTY-THREE.
A Fortress Too Far

7 July 1615 – 16 December 1618

Two powerful factions began to form in the Moravian court.

The first, being led by Ctibor Komenský, was termed the Frakcia Komenského. Hugolín Elefánthy also gravitated toward this faction, and very quickly became a close friend and collaborator of Komenský. The Frakcia Komenského were supporters, first and foremost, of protectionist and mercantilist policies designed to strengthen the Moravian state. They were also opposed to any concept of inherited privilege—meaning that they tended to favour burghers for official appointments. And finally, they were supporters of traditional Orthodox piety and the independence and prestige of the Church. There might have been some tactical reasons for the last part, as Komenský understood that his policies might garner very little support on their own, and the Church was a powerful benefactress. On the other hand, though, despite one being Chalcedonian and the other Miaphysite, both Komenský and Elefánthy were active members of their respective churches, generous in their personal philanthropy and dedicated to a Christian ideal of public service.

The Frakcia Komenského was opposed by the Frakcia Kafenda. The nobility, who had long been put out by the favour that Komenský had enjoyed both under the elderly Tomáš 2. and now also by his son Otakar, had placed their hopes in the new Chancellor of the Moravian realm, Augustin Kafenda. Kafenda, a member of the minor gentry from Mošovce in eastern Nitra, had every reason to be thankful for the meritocratic nature of the new diplomatic corps, through which he had ascended so rapidly under Despota Tomáš. But when he came into his own as the kancelár, replacing the truly ancient Hubert Kozár after his decease, Augustin Kafenda quickly began surrounding himself with the scions of the old noble families: the Mikulčických, the Koceľukovcov, the Přemyslovci, the Rychnovských-Nisa and the Rychnovských-Vyšehrad. Kafenda made it plain within his new position that he stood for the preservation of distinctions of rank, for decentralisation, for a return to the traditional rights of the Stavovské Zhromaždenie.

Later historians would go on to claim that these factional differences stemmed from the rivalry between Matej Štefánik (who likewise tended to favour tradition and the distinctions of rank) and Queen Mother Lesana Sokolová (who was more liable to favour commoners, outsiders and radicals like Blahoslav Bosniak). But there was an important difference. The cliques that had formed around Štefánik and around Queen Mother Lesana had largely been driven by the force of each leader’s personality. In this later instance, there were clear ideological rifts.

The factional differences were present even in the military. Barón Totil von Schwarzenberg might have been a noble, but he was a noted beneficiary of the meritocratic reforms within the military, and thus gravitated toward Komenský and Elefánthy. Hrabě Mojmír z Otradovic, on the other hand, came from a long and respected line of gentry, and his sympathies were naturally with Kafenda. And with him, Otradovic’s man to the hilt—as well as one with no small amount of Rychnovský blood in his veins—Jaroslav Hlinka also joined the ranks of the Kafenda faction.

eu4_1480a.png
eu4_1484a.png

The Kafenda faction and Komenský faction mostly balanced each other out at court. Although Komenský continued his successful promotion of soft money and protectionist economic policies through the Zhromaždenie, he was effectively blocked by Kafenda in his attempts to reform the civil service, which remained firmly in noble hands.

~~~​

Another war among the Rus’ principalities seemed somewhat inevitable given the reorientation of the White Rus’ toward Gardarike. Moravia was quick to respond to Great Rus’ in its request for assistance—Otakar sent his trusted generals northward to besiege Pinsk. Once Pinsk was taken in the first seven months of the war, the Moravian armies moved on to liberate Smolensk from White Russian occupation: the city was retaken within only two months.

eu4_1479a.png
eu4_1485a.png
eu4_1489a.png

Galicia leapt at the opportunity, once Great Rus’ was otherwise occupied, to lay claim to the few remaining scattered lands swearing fealty to the Despot of Pomerania. That engagement would prove to be short and one-sided.

An unfortunate turn of events followed this, however. Not long after the liberation of Smolensk and its return to its Great Russian garrison, Barón Totil von Schwarzenberg led the march northward into Garderike. During the march, however, he was badly injured in an accident; the wound took a turn for the worse, infected, and became gangrenous. Schwarzenberg succumbed to this fatal injury two days before Christmas, at the end of the year 1616.

eu4_1491a.png

(The loss of Barón von Schwarzenberg was greeted quite differently by different parts of the Moravian court. He was sincerely mourned and missed by Ctibor Komenský and Hugolín Elefánthy, whose careers he had supported and whose cause he had bolstered with his considerable political clout and respect. The condolences and expressions of sympathy from the Chancellor and his party, however—though polite and correct in all points—were remarkably more subdued. It was no secret that the loss of Schwarzenberg to the pro-clerical, pro-protectionist, centralising Komenský faction was considerable—and Komenský’s political loss was Kafenda’s gain.)

Another piece of unwelcome news followed. The Despotate of Thessaly—which had been the recipient in Asia Minor and Mesopotamia of Moravia’s repeated interventions against Muslim attacks—had joined the war on the side of Gardarike and White Rus’. Moravia, having joined a war in support of one of its staunchest foreign allies, was now fighting a two-front war against two other former allies.

On the home front, there were calls to curb the growing power of the Church by allowing noblemen to appoint clerics in their own territories. This proposal met with the instant opposition of the King (along with the Komenskists), though it did serve to drive a further wedge between the two factions at court. The defeat of this proposal caused the new Kancelár to withdraw for a moment, and attempt to mend ties with the Church.

eu4_1494a.png
eu4_1505a.png

Thessalian troops were already on Moravian home territory by this time, having also taken some of the outlying lands of the Voivodeship of Drježdźany. Though much better-behaved than the Galicians had been, the stresses and chaos of war nonetheless caused many Sorbs to flee over the Ores into the Bohemian lands. The young Wójwoda Wojen 2., however, boldly stood his ground in Budyšín along with the garrison, and with his wife Anetka at his side. They shepherded as many Sorbs from the surrounding countryside as they could within the Budyšín walls and awaited a long siege. That siege never came, though.

The Thessalians were more interested in moving against Cheb, Plzeň and Brassel together with their Garderikean allies. Budyšín was small fry, and the Drježdźanian troops were off fighting in Garderike anyway. The major prize, as they all knew, was Olomouc. After the Moravians took Novgorod, Hrabě Mojmír turned his troops around and marched back southward through Rus’ toward home. He wasn’t about to let Olomouc fall.

eu4_1500a.png

By the time Mojmír z Otradovic arrived back within Moravian territory with the Vraclavská Armáda, the Thessalians and the Garderikeans had occupied a considerable portion of it. Most of Bohemia was presently lost to Otakar; as was much of Silesia. In addition, the Scandinavian general Alfhild Gorčakov had stationed his long guns and infantry around Olomouc and was already unleashing barrages upon the walls. There was little choice but for Mojmír z Otradovic to take the field.

~~~​

As the two forces began to position themselves, Otradovic called his most trusted lieutenant to his side.

‘Jaroslav,’ Otradovic said, ‘I’m giving you command of the Bratislava Third Infantry, effective immediately.’

‘You’re promoting me, môj Hrabě?’

eu4_1506a.png

‘I am,’ said Otradovic in earnest. ‘God knows I’m not a fan of this new order of things, or with the political situation these days, but I’m not about to stand in the way of a man of your talents and abilities. Particularly not with the capital at stake.’

Jaroslav Hlinka, hitherto a lieutenant, straightened his back. ‘I won’t let you down, sir!’

‘I know you won’t, Kapitán Hlinka.’

eu4_1509a.png

The sun shone down on that bend in the Morava River as the two armies squared off in the warm early summer morning, gleaming off of the helmets and musket-barrels and cannon of the opposing sides. The first flint sparks touched powder, and the first volleys of lead were flung up and down the riverbank as the Garderikean bear-emblazoned vanes advanced upon the Moravian chequered eagles.

The newly-minted Kapitán Jaroslav Hlinka led his forces in a risky charge up the riverbank. There was a chance that they might get pinned with deadly force against the water, but there was also a window of opportunity to flank the Scandinavians and inflict serious casualties upon their cavalry before they were themselves ready to charge. As it turned out, Hlinka’s manoeuvre was successful. The Garderikean cavalry were caught by surprise at the sudden appearance of Moravian infantry troops firing from the forested riverbank from their right flank.

eu4_1510a.png

Otradovic knew that his task—presently an unenviable one—was to hold his position until reinforcements could arrive from the northeast. The Krakovská Armáda was also returning from the Garderikean front, and should have arrived in Moravia shortly after he had. But no sign of them had appeared yet. And despite Hlinka’s daring charge, the Garderikeans were still pressing them hard.

It was well into mid-morning before the vanes of the Krakovská Armáda appeared over the hills from the direction of Žerotín. The reinforcements swept in and began firing volleys of lead into the Garderikeans’ left flank. That was enough to turn the tide of battle, and Alfhild Gorčakov and his Thessalian allies were forced to retreat back along the Morava, away from Olomouc.

eu4_1511a.png

~~~​

Otradovic’s subsequent pursuit of the Garderikeans across half of Bohemia became semi-legendary, as did Kapitán Hlinka’s role in it. The songs of Kráľ Kaloján were sung as the Moravian armies gave chase over the same route that the legendary king had, over three hundred years before.

eu4_1512a.png
eu4_1513a.png

When they caught up to the exhausted and demoralised Garderikeans, the Moravians utterly destroyed Gorčakov’s armies. Those Garderikeans and Thessalians who weren’t killed outright, were forced to surrender unconditionally. Despite the advances that the forces allied with the White Russians had managed to make in Bohemia, the utter defeat of Garderike’s armies signalled the end of the war.

The prime beneficiary of the war, at least on Moravia’s side, was the Kola Protectorate. The Sámi had fought bravely in the north, and had managed to take and hold the lands of Kainuu and Pomorie from the Garderikeans. Kola was enlarged by precisely these territories in the north.

eu4_1514a.png

~~~​

‘Is she asleep?’ asked Wojen.

The Wójwoda’s thirty-seven-year-old former Regent, mother of his children, and love of his life closed the door gingerly and turned toward her twenty-four-year-old husband. ‘Finally,’ she breathed with a grin. Wojen held out his hands to her, and Anet with sudden zest crossed the room to their bed.

After nine years of marriage and six children, Wojen Rychnovský and Anet, rodená Jakobica, were as happy and fulfilled as a couple could be, despite the significant differences in age and class between them. Wojen’s attraction and attachment to Anet only deepened with age, and the Sorbian wife couldn’t help but be flattered and aroused by the continued attentions of her much-younger husband. They were well under each other’s nightgowns and dangerously into their foreplay when the door to their chamber creaked open. Wojen chivalrously flung the bedsheets over his wife’s body before Mnata had a chance to see anything.

‘What’s wrong, Mnata?’ asked Anet.

‘I had a question,’ the boy said. ‘It’s keeping me awake.’

‘What question is that, son?’

‘I don’t understand what the Kancelár of Moravia was on about,’ Mnata said earnestly. ‘I mean, Drježdźany pays its taxes. We send troops to aid our liege. Why would the Kancelár choose this time to pay an official state visit, as though we owe them more?’

Wojen shared a look with his wife. ‘You want to take this one?’ he asked.

‘Sometimes men of Kafenda’s stature,’ Anetka explained, ‘feel they have to exert themselves over others. Not for any visible gain, but for… favours, influence, prestige. Drježdźany is a vassal state, and by shaking us down, Kafenda demonstrates his prestige to the court in Olomouc.’

Mnata shook his head. ‘I don’t see why we tolerate it.’

Anet regarded her son fondly. Particularly in his seriousness and sense of justice, the boy resembled his father. But when it came to understanding people… well. There was room for growth in him yet.

‘Perhaps you will be the one to stand up to him,’ said Anet.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Well, that ending might not be great for Moravia. Uncooperative vassals could become a problem.

How did a Miaphysite end up in Moravia, anyway?

Let's hope these ideological differences don't jeopardize the security of the kingdom.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I figure since I'm playing a fictional country that includes modern-day Slovakia, I should just take a moment to congratulate Slovakia on it's recent national elections, and Mr Fico in particular for overperforming expectations and carrying off over 23% of the popular vote in a very crowded field. Speaking for myself, I'm pleased that a populistic social-democratic party will gain seats, hopefully forming a government to expand and protect the welfare state.

Cheers, Slovakia!

Reactions:
Act I Chapter Forty-Four
FORTY-FOUR.
Calm before the Storm

21 January 1620 – 26 January 1623

The final years of Otakar Rychnovský’s reign were deceptively uneventful.

That is to say, no wars broke out. No natural disasters occurred. No major political upheavals or dilemmas presented themselves. The worst thing to happen in Moravia in those years was that the big vineyards of the south Morava valley suffered a bad case of blight, with the result being that most noble households in Europe tended to eschew the 1618 Muškát.

eu4_1529a.png
eu4_1502a.png

Otakar himself lived a fairly healthy life in those years, made all the sweeter by the fact that he and Vasilisa were able to spend their time together in an enjoyable way, taking long walks along the river and discussing theological topics, as well as reminiscing about the old days.

But beneath the placid surface of things, a great deal of manoeuvre and political intrigue was broiling. The factions surrounding Ctibor Komenský and Augustin Kafenda, although they were not openly coming to blows in the Zhromaždenie, were hardening their edges and attempting to secure for themselves key ministries, military offices and positions of the civil service.

eu4_1528a.png

With the death of Kalojan ze Lvovic, a kinsman of Preškapitán Oleg Karásek who had attained a short-lived generalcy, the military was left largely in the hands of Kafendists like Otradovic and Hlinka. This did not result in the expected return of noble privilege to the military ranks, however—the civil bureaucracy was able to exert some influence there—and military innovation continued apace.

~~~​

A lavish ball was held in Olomouc during the Christmas feast of 1622—according to the Churchly calendar, the year 7131. This ball, which was originally planned for the benefit of the nation’s nobility by Kancelár Augustin Kafenda, also happened to be an occasion on which he hoped to win some social standing for his only child, an as-yet-unmarried twenty-five-year-old daughter named Alžbeta.

However, as the elaborately-appointed carriages rolled up to the palace and their distinguished occupants began disembarking, it was clear that the event would be well-attended by all members of the Moravian court, not merely the Kafendists. The Kráľ himself was, after all, the host… and it would be impolite, not to mention politically imprudent, of certain courtiers to refuse to attend for mere ideological reasons.

eu4_1524a.png

Ctibor Ignac Komenský was there, of course, as was Elefánthy Hugolín. The two of them were accompanied by a number of clerks, reform-minded bureaucrats, and even a clergyman or two who were not averse to gracing such a secular event with their subdued presence in black robes and kamilávky. Elefánthy had additionally brought his wife Flóra and their daughter, Elefánthy Bernadett.

Among the Kafendists, Mojmír z Otradovic was naturally in attendance, as was Kapitán Jaroslav Hlinka and his sixteen-year-old son, who was also named Mojmír. Having been promoted to Kapitán, Hlinka now had a lieutenant of his own at his side: Poručík Miloslav Hodža, who—having fought alongside his Kapitán at the Battle of Olomouc against the Garderikeans and Thessalians—was every bit as loyal to Hlinka as Hlinka was to Otradovic.

‘Don’t look so nervous,’ the Kapitán told his son.

‘Me? Nervous?’ even as he said it, the young Mojmír Hlinka knew how unconvincing it sounded.

‘You look very smart,’ his father assured him. Indeed, Mojmír was following in his father’s footsteps, had completed his basic training and was dressed in the regimental dress uniform of a member of the Rytierska škola. ‘There will be plenty of other young folk like you at this occasion, mark me; just follow my lead and you’ll be sure to make a good impression.’

‘And try not to steal too many of the young débutantes’ hearts tonight,’ nudged Poručík Hodža with a wink. Mojmír blushed deeply.

Easy for him to say, Mojmír thought to himself. Miloslav already won himself a pretty young wife, and they have a young son at home.

The Kapitán and his newly-minted adult son entered the palace after Otradovic and his wife and family did; and they were followed in turn by Poručík Hodža. Otradovic made his way across the ballroom to where the Kancelár and his wife and daughter were; and his subordinates followed suit.

‘Ahh, Hrabě,’ the Kancelár greeted the noble general warmly. ‘It is good to see you once again. I trust the drills are keeping you busy?’

‘Busy, alert, keen,’ answered Otradovic proudly. ‘Morale has never been higher!’

eu4_1527a.png

‘Excellent, excellent,’ said the Kancelár. ‘Of course, you know my daughter.’

Otradovic snapped his heels together and courteously kissed the outstretched hand of Alžbeta Kafendová. The young woman received his attention with a cool, detached politeness. Otradovic then introduced the Kancelár’s daughter to each of his subordinates in their turn.

Alžbeta courtesied and received drightly kisses on the hand from each of the men in turn. She took a degree of interest, it seemed, in the smartly-dressed and promising young son of a Kapitán of noble blood, but a mere Poručík was very nearly beneath her notice, and she withdrew her hand with a barely-decent brusqueness. Thankfully Hodža was the ungrudging sort who could laugh and shrug it off.

Mojmír Hlinka, though… not so much. He had already formed a decidedly negative first impression of Alžbeta. Although she had fair hair and a pretty, regular face which could smile agreeably, dimple and charm when it was so inclined, that smile never really reached her eyes. There was an icy, shrewd, calculating look to them which Mojmír did not like at all. A servant came by with drinks, and Mojmír Hlinka took from him a clear Bohemian crystal goblet of Muškát (a 1604; not that a sixteen-year-old novice drinker like him would know this—but he did welcome the fresh, tart, grapey taste).

‘… and the Chinese, of course… there’s a great deal of interest in the trade…’

Mojmír, interested in hearing about new places (as many were at that time) gravitated toward the speaker. A man with curling, dark brown hair and a beard to match, with somewhat pouchy sleepy eyes, was discoursing upon Taugats. He didn’t recognize Ctibor Ignac Komenský by face or by name, of course, but he was drawn to the enthusiastic note of his voice which somewhat belied his sleepy-looking expression.

‘It’s always been quite easy to deal with the emissaries of Ta-Ming, provided one understands them,’ Ctibor noted to his audience, which consisted of several young clerks. ‘They tend to take very little interest in outsiders on their own initiative, of course. They have a remarkably high opinion of their own goods as being of superior quality, and of their Monarch, the Huang-Ti, as being the Son of Heaven and the centre of the cosmos. But they do decent business for all of that, as long as the specie is sound…’

Mojmír Hlinka listened intently. He had little concept of politics, and was unaware that his father was an implacable opponent of the man he was listening to. But this fellow spoke as though he’d been to the place himself. When there was a break in Ctibor’s monologue, Mojmír piped up:

‘Excuse me, sir. Have you ever been to Taugats? What is it like?’

Ctibor cleared his throat, answering cheerily: ‘Well, young man, it is rather difficult for a man to make that journey—though I have long dreamed of doing so! I have met with men from there. And I do, I hope, have a somewhat enviable collection of scroll paintings, vases and lacquerware at home. You must understand, my young friend… they themselves do not call it Taugats—that’s a name we rather barbarously borrowed from the Turks—but rather Čung-kuo, meaning “the Country in the Middle”, or else Ta-Ming Ti kuo, meaning “the Great Bright Empire”…’

‘Ahh, Mister Komenský,’ came his father’s voice. ‘I might have guessed it was you who was entertaining my son.’

That was a tone Mojmír knew quite well from his father. It smacked slightly of sarcasm, though it wasn’t obvious to someone unfamiliar with him. The only other time Mojmír had heard Kapitán Jaroslav strike that tone was when he was speaking with Babka… his mother-in-law.

‘A fine young man with a healthy curiosity about the world,’ Komenský approved. ‘Clearly he takes after his mother.’

eu4_1525a.png

Mojmír looked to his father. The Kapitán had a smile on his face that indicated but the barest reserve of polite tolerance at this back-handed insult.

‘So indeed I hear,’ Kapitán Hlinka answered smoothly. ‘Of course, that isn’t the only news that comes my way from the East. Wasn’t the, uh… “Great Bright Empire” recently forced to capitulate to a ragtag army of peasants in the north? And haven’t they laid claim to the title of “Country in the Middle” for themselves?’

eu4_1526a.png

‘A temporary situation, to be sure,’ Komenský waved a hand—though he was slightly flustered that this military buffoon knew even this much about his favoured foreign interest. ‘Mark my words, the rebels will be crushed.’

‘Ah, if only the diplomatic corps shared your optimism,’ Jaroslav Hlinka sighed. ‘Many of them seem to think we’re set to deal with this new peasant Huang-Ti, Li C’čcheng, for the foreseeable future.’

eu4_1527b.png

Mojmír Hlinka—having sampled the usual tenor of discussions between the Komenskists and the Kafendists—found the tension palpable and distinctly uncomfortable. Once again he made to slip away, downing another mouthful of his wine as he did so. Hopefully the next person he talked to would meet with a bit less of his father’s scantily-veiled disapproval.

Ahoj, there!’

Mojmír stood face-to-face with a honey-haired, baby-blue-eyed, alabaster-fair, round-cheeked girl with an expression of guileless interest on her face. From the tinge of pink on her cheeks and the barely-suppressed giggle with which she greeted him, the young officer-in-training ventured a guess that this young cherub in front of him had already imbibed her fair share of the Muškát (and then some).

‘Isn’t this all so exciting?’ the girl bounced on the balls of her feet. ‘So many people! And so many experiences! Come, come—you have to meet to my new friend Bernadett. She is so amazing, so well-travelled and knowledgeable! She’s even been to Egypt on holiday with her father! She’s been to the pyramids of Gizeh, she’s been to the Sphinx, she’s been to Saint Catherine’s and Saint Anthony’s, and she’s even ridden a camel! Come on, come on!’

Mojmír, flustered, stammered: ‘Hold on! We haven’t been introduced yet!’

‘Ohhh—!’ the girl blew out a breath. She was embarrassed, but nowhere near as much as Mojmír was. ‘I’m Svietlana Kotúľová, of the Trenčín Kotúľovcov! But you can call me Svietlana or Svieta or Lana, or whatever you like! What’s your name?’

‘I’m Mojmír Hlinka,’ the boy said stiffly, clicking his heels together and bowing a touch.

Svietlana Kotúľová dropped a slightly-exaggerated courtesy and held out her hand for Mojmír to kiss. She wasn’t exactly eager to withdraw that hand, either, and she continued eyeing him with undisguised interest. It made Mojmír uncomfortable. But… effervescent and unguarded as she was, even he had to admit that this Svietlana (or Svieta or Lana, or whatever he liked) wasn’t a bad-looking sort herself.

He accompanied Svietlana back to Bernadett as the Hungarian girl continued to regale them with stories of her travels. Eventually, though, Svietlana seemed to lose interest a bit, and as the band began to play and couples took to the floor, she sighed:

‘If only a boy might ask me to dance.’

Mojmír wondered what she was on about. There were plenty of boys here to dance with; yet she wasn’t positioning herself close to where they were grouped. She sighed again, a little more deeply, and pouted:

‘If only a nice boy in a cavalry school uniform might ask me to dance, I should be very delighted.’

Only after several such hints, decreasing in subtlety, did Mojmír finally break down and offer to take the floor with her. Svietlana was not the most graceful dance-partner Mojmír had ever had. She bounced too much. But he had to admit that she was pretty, and lively, and enthusiastic all at once. And after it was over, she clung to his arm and kept dropping hints for him to ask her to dance twice more.

It was an exhausting evening.

‘How did you enjoy it, son?’ asked Kapitán Jaroslav Hlinka after it was over.

Between tales of travel and trade, and politics, and wine, and dancing, and Svietlana’s giggles, Mojmír was spent. But he answered: ‘It was alright.’

The Kapitán laid a hand on his son’s shoulder and gave him a wry smile. ‘Worry not, son. As you get older, it gets worse.’

• 2Love
Reactions:
Ah, social gatherings, especially social gatherings with barely disguised politics, can certainly be fascinating - or annoying.

When will all of this tension boil over? And how?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Forty-Five
FORTY-FIVE.
The Regency of Alžbeta Kafendová

26 January 1623 – 24 August 1623

eu4_1532a.png

Kancelár Augustin Kafenda and Kráľ Otakar Rychnovský expired within days of each other, not three weeks after this ball took place. Otakar was buried the third day after alongside his forefathers in Velehrad, as was traditional, and the nine-year-old Prisnec Rychnovský was anointed Kráľ Prisnec 2. of Moravia. Otakar had been lucid and aware enough, at the end, to name Kancelár Augustin the preferred Regent for his successor. But although the Kancelár had lived long enough to receive the charge, he did not live long enough to execute it. As a result, the matter of the Regency came up at an emergency session of the Stavovské Zhromaždenie.

‘I believe it is abundantly clear,’ spoke up the daughter of the recently-deceased Kancelár, ‘that my father was trusted enough to have charge of the young king’s upbringing and his well-being. As his only descendant and as a neutral guarantor without a vested interest, it behoves me to place my own name forward for consideration as the next Regent.’

It was boldly spoken—even presumptuous. But young Alžbeta cut a very grave and sombre figure in her mourning colours. And added to that, she had the support of the military under General Mojmír z Otradovic, as well as the clear majority of the noble estate within the Zhromaždenie. With the future of the realm gravely uncertain, even many of the townsmen—if not exactly happy with the prospect—were at least willing to consider the young woman before them and the continuity that she was offering.

The strongest opposition came from the Church. Bishop Nykodém (Lepak) of Spiš, his pectoral cross thrust out boldly upon his barrel chest, his oprišek features glowering, his black beard bristling and his eyes smouldering with fire and lightning, boomed in thunderous, jeremiacal outrage:

‘Are we to place the fate of God’s chosen anointed, and all of holy Moravia besides, entirely in the hands of this young Jezebel, this filthy Herodias, this seeker of her own worldly ambitions and appetite for power? Mark my words, if the kingdom falls into her hands, the very streets of Olomouc will run red with blood, and the heavens themselves will weep with fire!’

Bishop Nykodém was taken aside by other members of the clerical party and made to quiet himself, though he still sat smouldering. Alžbeta Kafendová regarded the intemperate cleric icily. Another outburst like that, and the Zhromaždenie would have to evict all the clerics of Spiš from the hall. In comparison, though, the objections made by Ctibor Komenský himself came off as fairly tame and reasonable.

But eventually, Bishop Nykodém’s objections, and those made by Ctibor Komenský, were overcome. Easily two-thirds of the Zhromaždenie voted in favour of making Kafendová Regent in her father’s place.

eu4_1532b.png

~~~​

Outside of the Zhromaždenie, opinions were decidedly more mixed—with many of Moravia’s notables and common folk siding, at least in spirit, with the Archbishop of Spiš. Although some ribald tavern wags expressed a hope that Alžbeta might make as good on her young charge as the Regent of the Sorbian Wójwoda had done on hers, not everyone shared this optimism. The mood was in fact quite gloomy.

(Or at least that is what later historians claimed, given the calamities of the following seven months.)

It was business-as-usual for the first days of Prisnec 2.’s reign. Kafendová happily, on Prisnec’s behalf, renewed the ties of friendship and marital allegiance that bound Moravia to her vassals (Drježdźany and Kola), to her traditional ally of long standing (Ruthenia), and to her more recent allies (Bayern, Carpathia and Great Britain).

eu4_1534a.png
eu4_1535a.png
eu4_1537a.png
eu4_1536a.png

Indeed, it very much so appeared as if Moravia’s diplomatic acumen would flourish under Alžbeta Kafendová’s regency! She was very much her father’s daughter, and she had a keen knack for managing official functions, parades, balls, feasts, religious observances, visits of dignitaries and the like. Despite the bad impression she had made on one of her newly-minted young cavalry officers, she proved at once that she could be every bit as suave and as tactful as the Kancelár who had sired her.

Mojmír Hlinka graduated from the Rytierska škola in Bratislava with high honours. He was granted the rank of Slobodník in the Second Cavalry of the Kapitálová Armáda, and given command over a unit of ten riders and horses. With his helmet under his arm, his armour gleaming and his banner flying proudly at his side, he went to Trenčín, to the estate of the Kotúľa family, and knelt—at the feet of Svietlana Kotúľová. Needless to say, the lucky girl went into utter transports at the proposal. (In his heart of hearts, Mojmír still thought her to be a bit overly-bubbly and energetic, but upon closer acquaintance he found these traits in her to be somewhat endearing. She had a nice face, a nicer body, and a decent family of West Slovak gentry. Happy marriages had been founded on much weaker grounds.)

The wedding was held in March of that year, and the newlywed couple took up residence in Olomouc so that Slobodník Hlinka could be nearer his post. It was around that time that the news came to Moravia of a woman coming to power in Carpathia: Általánosnő Vlastimila Detvanský, a niece of the previous Emperor.

eu4_1538a.png

It was in April that the internal troubles truly began. This was when Alžbeta Kafendová began to reveal her true nature: the depth of her ambition and cruelty.

For those few months after Kafendová’s accession to power, the Komenskist faction had not remained idle. They had made secret rounds of all the major cities, canvassing the local artisans‘ guilds and merchant-houses. Komenskist agents had also visited every major diocesan seat in the Moravian realm, and had even made overtures to the semi-independent Metropolitanate of Vislania that had evidently met with a fairly warm reception. Both Ctibor Komenský and Hugolín Elefánthy spent much of Great Lent at Spiš—and no one who knew anything suspected that they were there for prayer!

When they returned to Olomouc in April, they brought with them several hundred-yard petitions full of signatures, as well as a stack of laws to be submitted for the Regent’s approval and the ratification of the Zhromaždenie.

‘My Regent,’ spoke the sleepy-eyed Komenský, ‘we have here a rather urgent and deeply necessary bill of reforms to the Moravian state, which—as you can see—is supported by a relatively lengthy list of goodmen of our major towns and clergymen of our Holy Church, including the Metropolitan of Vislania. It would be wise of you to pass this bill of reforms into law.’

‘Not to mention,’ spoke the Hungarian merchant at his side, ‘it would provide numerous opportunities for an increase of revenue to the state, which could be directed into numerous underdeveloped enterprises for the advancement of the realm’s interests, both at home and abroad! Consider the expenditures that this bill would entail as an investment into the nation’s future.’

Alžbeta took the large stack of papers and gave a cool bespectacled glance over the first page. No sooner had she done so than she shoved the entire thing to the floor, scattering papers all across the hall!

‘Do you dare speak to me of the nation’s future,’ she hissed at Elefánthy, ‘when what you propose here is nothing less than the stifling of our foreign trade, the inflation of prices on our goods, the emasculation of our nobility, the impotence of our armed forces and the imposition of utter anarchy upon our entire way of life?! This bill is neither necessary nor an investment—it is treason! Guards!’

Four members of the palatial guard stepped forward, behind the bewildered and shocked advisors to the Crown.

eu4_1539a.png

‘Take these two men into custody. Seize that list of signatories to their “bill of reforms”. We shall launch an immediate investigation into the culpability of these men. And we shall convoke an immediate council of judgement upon Ctibor Komenský and Hugolín Elefánthy, so that they may answer the charges of conspiracy, sedition and high treason against the Crown!’

If it wasn’t clear from this outburst that Kafendová had no intention of either fairness or clemency upon her father’s two most influential political opponents, it was certainly clear from the Council of Judgement that ensued. Not only Ctibor and Hugolín, but also fifteen of their close associates (all of whom were signatories to the petition) were put on trial for one of the two capital crimes on Moravia’s lawbooks, and numerous hundreds of others were rounded up and arrested on lesser charges.

Komenský and Elefánthy were found guilty and sentenced to death, along with twelve of the fifteen who were arraigned with them. Ctibor Ignac Komenský and the lesser members of the ‘conspiracy’ were sentenced to hang from scaffolds in the castle courtyard in full view of the ten-year-old Kráľ, and the Regent who was acting in his name. Hugolín Elefánthy—being a foreigner and a heretic—was sentenced to the much longer and more torturous death of being broken on the wheel.

eu4_1540a.png

The arrests, executions and imprisonments which followed throughout Moravia were a shock—not only to the Komenskists but also to some of the prior Kancelár’s more moderate supporters. Although Mojmír z Otradovic carried out his orders and even approved of them, his subordinates, Kapitán Jaroslav Hlinka and Poručík Miloslav Hodža, had deep misgivings. Hlinka summoned his young son and his lieutenant to him, and told them:

‘I want you to keep a keen eye on the king, and on the Regent. Don’t move against the Regent just yet—but if she decides to usurp power for herself, I want to be among the first to know. Understood?’

‘I understand, Father,’ said Slobodník Mojmír. Poručík Miloslav nodded his firm understanding.

‘Understand this,’ said Jaroslav Hlinka. ‘We are noblemen, all of us. We have ancient and deep roots in this blessed soil, which was christened by Saint Methodius. But without God and without our King, we are nothing—we’d have been slaves to the East Franks. Remember: our first loyalty is to Jesus Christ. And our second loyalty is to the Kráľ.’

Both Mojmír and Miloslav nodded once more, and exchanged a grave look with each other.

‘May God keep you,’ said Jaroslav Hlinka.

~~~​

The townsmen had been cowed into submission by the events of April, and the clergy were all under the careful watch of gendarmes loyal to the Regent. But similar conversations were being had all throughout Moravia, as serious questions began to arise about the Regent’s sudden, and sanguine, exercise of power that ought to have belonged solely to the King. Loyalties began to be tested… would the military side with the Regent or the King?

eu4_1541a.png

The deadly stroke fell on the Ides of August.

Alžbeta Kafendová called for a private audience with the ten-year-old king. When Prisnec entered, she was admiring some of the antiques and pieces that had belonged to the prior Rychnovských kings, and which now adorned the walls of the kings’ traditional study. She ran her finger across the sceptre that had been made for the first Kráľ Prisnec. That king’s namesake watched her do so with trepidation. Those things were for the royal family alone! What right had she to touch them?

‘All this history,’ the Regent mused. ‘So many generations of kings, enduring so many trials sent by God and by the Devil…’

‘Um…’ Prisnec stammered, ‘please don’t touch those!’

‘Hm?’ Alžbeta turned to the young king, as though just noticing him. ‘I thought you, of all people, might be more understanding, Prisnec. After all, I am the woman who is charged with your well-being. And the well-being of the realm. Which, of course, this is all about.’

‘What is it all about?’ asked Prisnec.

‘The past,’ Alžbeta gestured around the room, ‘and the future. Surely you must have given it some thought yourself? You aren’t a naïve little boy anymore. Surely you must have wondered what you will accomplish when you’re grown, and ready to take the Crown yourself?’

‘I might have.’

‘Well,’ said Alžbeta, ‘that’s one thing the two of us have very much in common. You see… your forebears, Prisnec—the great men who left us all of this—they were driven by a desire to uphold and transmit that which fell to their charge, safely down the generations. Laws, customs, dress, activity, faith… you understand all of what I’m telling you, I think.’

Prisnec was silent. He closed his mouth firmly.

‘I too have been given a charge,’ said Alžbeta. ‘I know better than most that the most recent of the Rychnovských have not upheld what they were sworn to uphold. Your great-great-grandfather, Prokop. He was the first to start curtailing our traditional liberties, given to us by God. Then came your great-grandfather, Jozef—no better that buggerer. And finally we come to your grandfather, Tomáš, the cruellest villain of this farce that Moravia has become.’ Kafendová’s voice became harsh, and took on a sinister edge. ‘Despota. He wanted us to call him master, as though we were only slaves—things to be used. Puppets to be toyed with. My father understood this. He understood that unless something were done, Moravia would be nothing more than a prison, a playground of wickedness upon which the Rychnovských could exercise their tyranny over us all with a whim.’

Alžbeta took down a sword from the wall.

‘Put that back!’ Prisnec insisted, balling his little hands into fists.

Alžbeta paused, but she did not replace the blade. Instead she turned it so that the light from its reflection flashed across Prisnec’s eyes.

‘Do you recognise this?’ she asked.

Prisnec again closed his mouth, and simply glared at the woman.

This,’ Alžbeta murmured, running her finger along the blade, ‘was the sword of Radomír 1. Ah—I see that it has been kept in excellent condition. He bore it with him into battle against the Sorbs, when the Sorbs were still heathen. He brought this sword to the Blood-Court of Brehna. Radomír, you see, was a lot like your grandfather, my Kráľ. He thought that he could rule by force of whim. By terror.’

There was something ugly, something cruel and mocking, in the way she used the title of Kráľ toward Prisnec. Prisnec found his feet and rushed to the door. He tried to lift the latch, but it had been bolted shut. He pounded on the door.

‘Open the door! Open the door! This is an order of your king! Open up!’

‘I’m afraid the men outside will no longer answer to your orders, môj Kráľ.’

eu4_1542a.png

Prisnec turned to face Alžbeta. She was now advancing on him with sword in hand.

‘What are you doing? Stay back!’

‘What am I doing?’ asked Alžbeta as she advanced on him, backing him into the corner. ‘I’m saving Moravia. I’m ensuring our future. I’m preserving the nobility in all of its right. It’s a pity that you won’t be around to see it. You have an appointment with your maker.’

Alžbeta thrust the sword of Radomír 1. viciously into the boy-king’s chest, and twisted it to make sure that it struck the heart. The last thing Prisnec saw before he died was the cruel smile which played upon his Regent’s lips.

eu4_1543a.png

~~~​

Mojmír and Miloslav were the ones who, feeling on edge, made their way along the palace corridor to the king’s study. They were shocked to find two of the garrison stationed outside, and the door to the study barred. There was no earthly reason for such an arrangement. Miloslav, the superior officer, strode forward and demanded: ‘Let us pass!’

‘The Regent has ordered that none may have entry. She has private business.’

‘Is the King within?’ asked Miloslav.

The guards didn’t answer.

Jebni na svoju babičku!’ Miloslav barked. ‘I am ordering you to tell me: is the King within?

A moment passed, and then on all sides steel was drawn.

Treason!’ Miloslav cried as he engaged a garrisoner with his blade. ‘Fire! Murder! Treason! Go for help, Mojmír! Go!’

Mojmír had his blade out as well and was beginning to engage the second garrisoner when Miloslav gave him the order. Dutifully, he backed his way down the hall, not daring to break into a run with a man with a blade at his back. Yells echoed all around him, and soon there were the echoing clashes and grunts and cries of fighting all up and down the corridor as the men who swore loyalty to the King had to fend off those who’d sworn loyalty to the Regent—and others who had not made up their minds yet were forced to decide at once, or else flee.

Mojmír Hlinka fought his way back to the courtyard, but not before he saw the horrible sight of Queen Mother Vasilisa being run through with a spear by one of the palace guards who had sworn to protect her. It was as though the gates of Hell itself had opened up, and the demons were thick in swarm, attacking those still loyal to God. Mojmír cast his eyes heavenward in terrified supplication.

At that moment, into the courtyard rode Mojmír z Otradovic, with Jaroslav Hlinka at his side. They were flying the banner, not of the Moravian state, but of the Rychnovských! It was clear which side they were on! Mojmír Hlinka lifted his voice in praise to God for this deliverance, and joined the fray with a renewed determination.

Otradovic dismounted, as did Kapitán Jaroslav. Unfortunately, the Hrabě never made it to the door. One of the garrison had drawn his bow and loosed a flight that caught Mojmír z Otradovic full in the neck. He died in the reins of his horse.

‘Shoot!’ cried Jaroslav Hlinka.

The assassin who had killed the Hrabě did not have much time to enjoy his victory, as one of the trained archers of the loyal Kapitálová Armáda put a return-to-sender arrow straight through the traitor’s face.

The army and the garrison did battle for several hours all around Olomouc Castle. Mojmír stormed his way back through the doors and down the corridor to the study. Unfortunately, he very nearly tripped over the sprawled-out body of his father’s man and friend Miloslav Hodža, who had been slain in the king’s defence, as he passed by the open door of the study. The piteous young body of the king lay face-down just past the threshold, in a pool of his own blood. Ahead of him, though, he saw the retreating figures of that same garrisoner that Hodža had been fighting, and the skirts of the Regent.

Mojmír Hlinka saw red. With a blood-curdling yell, the young Slobodník surged forward. He was still very much a fighter, though, so he stayed just out of range of the garrisoner’s blade as he assayed his attack. He couldn’t very well go through the garrisoner to get to Kafendová, but he very much could vent his rage upon this faithless piece of garbage in front of him.

It was actually never much of a match. Mojmír was young, strong, capable with a blade, and had just spent the past two years training at cavalry school—whereas the garrisoner probably only received basic training at the hands of the palace sergeant. Mojmír’s blade pierced the garrisoner’s throat, and cut free through his carotid artery, showering Mojmír in speckles of blood.

Alžbeta Kafendová fled from this grim spectacle. She had been planning on a flawless palace coup that she could present as a fait accompli to the Stavovské Zhromaždenie. But she had been thwarted by the shouting of Hodža at the door. And then she had discovered that her control over the garrison was not as absolute as she’d hoped. It would be her final mistake. Although she could well use a king’s blade to despatch a ten-year-old child, it was a different tale when she was backed into a corner herself and forced to have ado with an eighteen-year-old man. Mojmír freed the blade from her grasp with a masterful parry, and then cut Kafendová’s head from her shoulders with the next stroke.

~~~​

It was over. Fighting continued in the palace and in the town well after it was over, but the Kapitálová Armáda had won the day over the Olomouc garrison. If ‘won’ was really the proper word.

Kráľ Prisnec 2. was dead. Queen Mother Vasilisa was dead. Hrabě Mojmír z Otradovic was dead. Poručík Miloslav Hodža was dead. It would later turn up, much to Slobodník Mojmír Hlinka’s chagrin, that his father was also dead. All of the Rychnovských who had lived in the palace, mostly the Kráľ’s paternal-line uncles, maiden aunts, second and fourth cousins, were either dead, the garrison having gotten to them before the Armáda arrived, or had disappeared—hopefully into safety. (A handful of them would later turn up, having taken shelter in Mozyř with Tsar’ Lev 3. Rychnovský of Great Rus’, or in Budyšín under Wójwoda Wojen 2.’s protection.)

The surviving members of the Stavovské Zhromaždenie were gathered together for an emergency vote. To whom would power pass?

Once the chain of events became clear to them all, the Zhromaždenie elected to present Slobodník Mojmír Hlinka to the clergy in Velehrad to be anointed and crowned—with Poručík Hodža’s young son Pravoslav to be given preference as Mojmír’s heir. It seemed to them only fitting, as Hlinka and Hodža had been the ones to raise the alarum and prove their loyalty to the prior king in the resulting débâcle.

Thus it was that a young, green cavalry officer fresh from the academy, of old but distinctly humble Silesian gentry blood, was taken to Velehrad, anointed with the holy chrism, and the regalia of the Rychnovských placed upon his head and in his hands.

eu4_1543c.png
eu4_1543b.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I have just caught up again. This chapter kept me at the edge of my seat! The regent's plan was so bold as to border on madness. Even if her coup had at first succeeded, I can't imagine she wouldn't have faced a large scale revolt from all estates.

Poor boy, the heir. He too was sacrificed as a pawn by the regent, after all her talk about pawns and tyranny and terror, she seemed more to want to act like those kings she professed to despise than as a revolutionary.

Let's hope the new dynasty guides Moravia into a brighter future!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wonder if the Regent believed what she spoke of or if it was just an excuse to justify her deeds...

I'm not sure this succession is good. All of the old royal family is dead... but don't they still have relatives ruling other nations? Will any of those men attempt to seize power? For that matter, are there ambitious nobles in Moravia who might want the throne?

I foresee many years of anarchy in Moravia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just to get caught up on comments m'self:

I have just caught up again. This chapter kept me at the edge of my seat! The regent's plan was so bold as to border on madness. Even if her coup had at first succeeded, I can't imagine she wouldn't have faced a large scale revolt from all estates.

Poor boy, the heir. He too was sacrificed as a pawn by the regent, after all her talk about pawns and tyranny and terror, she seemed more to want to act like those kings she professed to despise than as a revolutionary.

Let's hope the new dynasty guides Moravia into a brighter future!

I wonder if the Regent believed what she spoke of or if it was just an excuse to justify her deeds...

I'm not sure this succession is good. All of the old royal family is dead... but don't they still have relatives ruling other nations? Will any of those men attempt to seize power? For that matter, are there ambitious nobles in Moravia who might want the throne?

I foresee many years of anarchy in Moravia.

Oh, yes. Kafendová was by no means acting in anyone's interests but her own. Perhaps she truly believed she could become a queen, or perhaps being that close to the throne led her to madness. And it was not an accident that I had her kill Prisnec 2. using the sword of Radomír 1. Not only was the irony too good to pass up, but Kafendová and Radomír the Terrible were quite similar in terms of their ruthlessness of character.

In game terms, between the Radical Reforms event and the Regent Usurps the Throne event, EU4 effectively matrix-lobby-scened my Court: two of my advisors dead, my only surviving general dead, the king dead, stability at -3, and the ruling dynasty changed. I rolled with it, though. There are decades where nothing happens, and then there are weeks where decades happen.

matrixlobbyscene.gif

Hopefully Mjomir is more observant on the battlefield than in ballrooms, otherwise a million men will be in Prague before he notices the first squad advancing. Thanks

Hehehe. Hopefully indeed - for the realm's sake.

Those 3/1/2 monarch stats aren't too encouraging, though: especially when compared to Prisnec 2.'s 2/5/5. Maybe with luck the new Queen, formerly Miss Kotúľová, can strengthen the genepool? Or maybe the more capable Pravoslav Hodža (6/2/3) can take over?

Reactions: