• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 1Like
Reactions:
III.​

‘No,’ Bohodar told Liusia roughly. ‘You must leave. Now.’

‘I won’t abandon you here!’ Liusia lifted her chin. ‘I can’t, Bohyaša! How can I flee when my husband’s in peril?’

‘My love,’ Bohodar clasped his wife’s hands. ‘You cannot be thinking only of you and me now. There is a third in your charge, whom you must protect and nurture.’

Liusia’s hand went down below her abdomen, to where the bump was only just beginning to swell. She made a hesitant sound—still reluctant to flee danger even at her husband’s behest, and even in the interest of her and his unborn child. But in the end she saw the wisdom of her husband’s decision. ‘Very well. For us, I will obey you this time. For all of us.’

Bohodar kissed Liusia firmly and held her tightly in his arms. ‘That’s all I ask of my courageous wife.’

The Italians had drawn up close to Plzeň, and there was only a brief window in which civilians would be allowed to leave before the Italians closed off any routes in or out of the city. Bohodar was insistent that Liusia be among them, along with their unborn child. Liusia only reluctantly left his embrace, and then turned back to him as she reached the door.

‘If it’s a boy, I’m naming him after one of your ancestors!’

‘As would well fit a boy in the royal line,’ Bohodar answered her. ‘What was the name of Slovoľubec’s second grandson, the one born after Bohodar mladší? Wasn’t it Prokop?

‘Prokop,’ Liusia tried the name on her tongue. ‘I like it! I’m confirming that with your father, though.’

‘As is only right,’ Bohodar brought his wife back for another kiss before sending her toward the door. ‘Go. Get to Olomouc—get to safety. For our child’s sake. For Prokop’s, if a boy he is.’

Liusia turned her dark brown head once more back toward Bohodar, her hazel eyes searching his out. ‘I love you, Bohyaša. I love you more than life itself.’

Bohodar, choked with emotion, waved her away.

~~~​

Some hours later, Liusia – along with her father-in-law Vojtech and her mother-in-law Predslava – was on the road east to a position of relative safety. Looking back at the city from which she’d come from a safe distance, she could already see the Italians wheeling their siege engines into position and stationing their infantry at regular intervals around the Plzeň town walls. She searched out the ramparts, knowing that Bohodar would not be content to sit inside the castle keep but would be guarding the city with his own body, together with the defenders. That was in his nature. Bohodar Vojtček Rychnovský came from a long line of such valiant kings with a common touch: Jakub, Eustach staviteľ, Bohodar 2. odvážny, Kaloján chrabrý, Radomír 4. and Ostromír. She only hoped that he would come to no harm.

She was ill at ease, though, the whole way back to Olomouc, and for months afterward. The only way Liusia could be prevailed upon to eat, was by appealing to the young life which depended upon her for nourishment.

It was almost as though she had anticipated the worst news. That news came to her, as it came to Bohodar’s father and mother, on the nineteenth of August, 1468.

‘My lord, ladies, it grieves me to bring you this news. The Italians under Chrysogone Buonarroti have captured Plzeň. The surviving defenders were allowed to march out after their surrender, but…’

eu4_197.png

The messenger’s face had already told Liusia the worst.

‘No…’

‘In the last days of the siege, a stone projectile hit the wall, breaking the ramparts. Your son, milord, was standing nearby. He had flung himself bodily across a young soldier who was too shocked to move. A piece of the rampart dislodged—flew at him—struck him in the back of the neck, below his helmet. The field surgeon… did all he could.’

Liusia felt that she couldn’t breathe for what seemed like minutes. Her head swam and she sank to her knees, as though she herself had been pierced through the airway. Her husband, her beloved Bohodar, had fallen.

Vojtech, too, was overcome with emotion. It was left to his mother, Predslava, to ask the messenger:

‘Were… were you able to recover my son’s body?’

The messenger nodded. ‘He is being brought home to Olomouc for burial.’

Predslava shook her head, and then lifted it proudly. ‘Thank you, but he shall come with us to Velehrad. It’s been decided that he shall rest beside his fathers, as is only right.’

‘Very good, milady. Milord.’

When Liusia regained her breath and composed herself, she turned and shakily addressed her mother-in-law. ‘After our baby is born and weaned, my Queen, I shall take holy orders at Velehrad myself. I shall tend your son’s grave, and pray to Our Lord Christ for the sake of his soul for the rest of my days. And when I die—I wish to be buried alongside him.’

Predslava looked over her daughter-in-law with approval. ‘That is a noble wish, Liusia. What do you think, dear?’

Vojtech nodded, though he was still choked with grief. ‘Bohyaša was blessed… to have such a wife.’

~~~

eu4_198a.png

Hearing about Bohodar’s loss and about his brave defence of his comrades in Plzeň caused the burghers and nobility of Moravia, and particularly those from around Plzeň who still had their liberty, to make generous donations to the crown in the fallen young prince’s memory. Vojtech was moved with gratitude, though it did nothing to dull the pain of losing his eldest son—the heir upon whom he had once pinned such high hopes.

Nor was this the worst of the news to reach Vojtech’s ear.

The bulk of the Moravian Army was engaged around the fortified Galician city of Sandomír, and they were numerous enough that the remnant of the Galician forces in the field did not dare attack them directly, but instead focussed on regaining control of the eastern part of the country, starting with Peremyshl and Belz. The summer was settling into autumn for the siege camp, when an outbreak of dysentery swept through the Moravian ranks. Among those affected was the elderly Róbert Rychnovský. As old as he was, the resulting dehydration from the disease soon claimed him.

Róbert Rychnovský, the son of Vojtech 3. Rychnovský, departed the earthly life on the twenty-fifth of October, in the same year as his grandson – both men victims of the internecine war between Galicia and Moravia.

eu4_201a.png

In this way, at the age of seventy-two years, the last of Moravia’s true medieval kings ended his life. A high-minded, generous and kindly individual with a strong sense of honour, Kráľ Róbert had been also a knight-errant in the Holy Land, a military and civil innovator, a ferocious duellist. In typical Rychnovský fashion, he had been a faithful husband and doting lover to a woman possessed of blonde hair, keen intellect, and a number of years’ advantage on him. He had managed a kingdom of a number of disparate parts, ranging from the Bohemians in the northwest to the Rusins in the east… as well as the Kildin Sámi in the far north.

His body, like that of his grandson, was also borne back to Velehrad for burial.

~~~​

And so the crown was passed on to Vojtech Róbertek Rychnovský, who was anointed in Velehrad Cathedral as Kráľ Vojtech 4. of Moravia, in the traditional Orthodox ceremony led by the Metropolitan of Velehrad and All Moravia. Although the crown passed to him by right, it could be seen to those who knew him well—such as his queen, Predslava—that the crown did not rest easily upon his head. As well it might not, for a man who had lost both his beloved eldest son and his father to the ravages of war inside the space of three months.

eu4_205a.png

Not three months later, Vojtech’s daughter-in-law Liusia bore a baby son with similar dark brown hair and hazel eyes to herself. She named him Prokop, after the brother of Bohodar mladší, as she and her husband had agreed on the day of her flight from Plzeň. Upon the lad’s christening and churching, Vojtech pronounced his newborn grandson as the heir to the kingdom of Moravia. He would gain the cognomen of Prokop posmrtný – Prokop the Posthumous.

Eventually, even without Róbert Rychnovský at its head, the Moravian Army triumphed in its siege of Sandomír. Although it had cost the lives of thousands of men, and two of the royal family, the point had been driven home to the Galicians regarding their covert attempts to undermine their cousins’ rule and thwart their hospitality. Galicia was forced to sign a humiliating peace treaty that afforded Moravia 120 gold denár in war reparations, as well as discrediting the strength and honour of their military.

eu4_206a.png
eu4_207a.png
eu4_208a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Seven
SEVEN.
The Short Reign of Vojtech 4.
22 February 1469 – 28 July 1472

queen-and-maids2.png

‘Milady, the three finalists are here.’

‘Please, show them in,’ said Predslava.

The duenna of the royal household led inside three young women, all of them very properly dressed in long gowns, with conical caps and silken veils upon their heads. At a signal from the older woman, each of the girls stepped toward the queen and gave an immaculate courtesy. The selection of the queen’s personal maid was a matter of great scrutiny and solemnity, and had been so ever since the days of Queen Lodovica, the consort of Vojtech 2. The scandal surrounding the affairs and murderous schemes of Lodovica’s predecessor Alexandrina, and the treasonous connivance of her maids against the crown, had prompted the reform. Starting with Lodovica’s, all the queen’s personal maids were required to be of noble birth and good breeding, quiet, modest, clean of life and regular in attendance at church. Such were these three supposed to be. Each one of them introduced herself as she stepped forward.

‘Karmila Hlinka of Bruntál, daughter of Barón Zdravoslav Hlinka, gives her most fervent and sincere well-wishes for Your Majesty’s health and salvation.’

‘Helene Mosienková of Budějovice, daughter of Burgomaster Vladimir Mosienkov, prays that the all-holy Mother of God bless Your Majesty with wisdom and kindness all your days.’

‘Jolana Volková of Ústi nad Labem, daughter of šafár Ctirad Volkov of Litoměřice, beseeches God Almighty may save Your Majesty and adorn your crown with glory.’

Predslava looked over all three of the well-behaved pubescent girls with approval. All of them looked like very sweet and proper young ladies. Karmila, dark-haired and serious, seemed like she would be a formidable guardian of her interests. Jolana was a tiny, petite young thing who looked delicate and innocent and childlike in her clothes—she couldn’t be older than eleven! Predslava’s eyes came back to the centre girl, Helene, whose blonde hair was done up quite severely and whose hands were folded properly in front of her. She had a handsome, regular square face, and right now she bore an expression as serious as each of her compatriots to either side, but she had a nascent pair of smile-lines even at her young age, and a glint in her green-blue eyes that hinted that she might harbour a vivacious sense of humour. The queen took an instant liking to this one.

‘I thank you all for coming here. Duenna,’ the queen told the severe governess, ‘please give the circlet to Miss Mosienková, and conduct Miss Hlinka and Miss Volková back to the hall, give them ten gold denáry each, and write letters to their fathers commending their loyalty and their diligent parenting. When you return, we shall discuss Mosienková’s duties.’

The selection had been made. The duenna led the two girls on either side out of the queen’s chamber, leaving Predslava alone with Helene, who dared to look up toward her new mistress. Predslava placed a gentle hand on Helene’s cheek. ‘You and I are going to get on quite well together, I believe, Miss Mosienková. I look forward to having you among my staff.’

‘Your Majesty is most kind,’ Helene Mosienková dipped her head again.

~~~

eu4_226a.png
eu4_230a.png

It was in fact little surprise that Helene Mosienková would have made the final cut for the selection of the royal maid. Public piety in Budějovice was at an all-time high after the King had bestowed—at the request of the Stavovské Zhromaždenie—a generous fund upon the burgomaster of that town toward the renovation and expansion of Saint Gorazd’s in that town. The church now had a very fine white stone façade, and a dome which radiated reflected light from its gilding all over town. The clergy were quite grateful to the king for this favour, as were the burghers of the town. Vojtech’s šafár reported to his satisfaction that the tax rolls from Budějovice had never been so thoroughly accounted, nor the revenues collected so efficiently.

And Mosienková herself proved to be a very useful asset to the queen. King Vojtech 4. often visited Predslava in her chambers, whether to take counsel or to seek solace in the marriage-bed. Mosienková made herself discreet at all times, never chided or whispered, and made sure to tidy up afterward for the queen. She assisted in caring for the royal couple’s grandson, Prokop posmrtný, in the absence of his mother who had taken vows—even to the point of helping the young boy bathe. She also aided in the several alliances that the king sought to arrange, and that the queen was left to fulfil.

‘Let’s see…’ Helene accounted, looking over Predslava’s notes. She bit down on one fingernail. A bad habit—one of her only ones—but it tended to overtake her only when she was deep in thought. ‘Věluň is seeking to renew royal ties. With that recent assassination attempt, little wonder…’

‘Galicia isn’t going to like that,’ Predslava remarked dryly.

‘And milord your husband wants to renew ties with the Oskyldr and Svinhufvud families, seems like,’ Helene leafed through the other papers. ‘What about betrothing Lesana to Áellat Svinhufvud? She’s a little older than he is…’

Predslava shook her head. ‘The age difference is too great; Greta would never approve.’

‘What about Queen Margareta’s brother, Ivvár? He isn’t married, is he?’

‘… Better,’ the queen approved. ‘I’ll mention it to Vojtech. As for the Oskyldrov, perhaps Svietlana would be willing to marry Boris Oskyldr instead.’

‘He will be a good match for your lady niece,’ Helene approved.

Both of them are good matches. But it runs us out of unmarried women on our side!’ Predslava sighed in frustration as she leafed through the rest of the papers. ‘I’ll have to ask my husband if there are any other eligible Rychnovská girls in Věluň for our Totil to marry. That’s the only way a dynastic match will happen there, I’m afraid.’

eu4_211a.png
eu4_216a.png
eu4_215a.png

~~~​

Kráľ Vojtech was out in the courtyard by himself one morning, enjoying the weather. The loss of his father and the loss of his son to war were both wounds which he bore hard, and being out-of-doors was one of the things which helped.

He heard a loud crack! from the area by the butts. He strode across the courtyard to have a look, and found there a zbrojnoš levelling a thin metal pipe, with an s-shaped metal lever two thirds of the way down its length, connected with a short length of wet twine, and mounted on a wooden stock like a crossbow. The zbrojnoš steadied the weapon on its tripod, while the middle-aged přeskapitán Ivan Žerotínov observed him. Vojtech watched as the man-at-arms braced the piece against his shoulder, took aim, and fired with another crack!

eu4_214a.png
eu4_223a.png

There was a plume of dark smoke upward from the weapon, and a spurt of flame from its mouth. The Carpatho-Russian přeskapitán’s mouth thinned in satisfaction as a watchman reported from the butts:

‘He struck the yellow this time!’

Putëm,’ said Žerotínov approvingly. ‘Your aim is improving.’

The zbrojnoš gave a bow and retired. The next zbrojnoš took the weapon, blew the chamber clean, loaded a ball and powder and stuffed it down, then mounted it on the tripod, preparing for the next shot as Žerotínov gave the orders. It was then that Žerotínov spotted Vojtech observing at a distance.

‘Your Majesty,’ the Carpatho-Russian called out. ‘Observe our training, if it please you.’

‘I have been,’ Vojtech answered as Ivan Žerotínov strode over to him. ‘Quite impressive.’

‘Our blacksmiths have been suggesting improvements to the hákupuška, including a single “match-lock” mechanism,’ Ivan noted. ‘This shows some promise. I have also suggested the stock mounting for ease of carriage and setup.’

‘The men are hitting the targets now,’ Vojtech observed.

,’ Ivan nodded. ‘The next step will be to test the improved hákupuška against armour. I will set up several pieces on stands by the butts and measure the degree of penetration.’

eu4_213a.png
eu4_221a.png

Vojtech regarded Ivan appreciatively. The Russian captain hailed from the polonina, and specifically from the border region south of Maramoroš which still lay under Carpathian sway. Although the Žerotínové were a family of noble Kievan origins (supposedly), Ivan’s upbringing had been among the opriški—axe-wielding bandits who raided the wealthy on either side of the border and distributed their ill-gotten gains among the poor and infirm. A willingness to improvise and deviate from the standard rules of battle was one of the things that Róbert before him had approved, and which Vojtech valued in turn… though his innovative methods had hardly won him any friends among the other nobility in Moravia.

The opriški in the region around Zemplín in particular had become something of a problem. Ivan’s inside knowledge of the opriški had been immensely valuable in curbing their excesses, cutting deals with them or cracking down as the situation demanded. Although the Moravian nobility had—rather vocally—expressed their doubts about Žerotínov’s loyalties, his service in these areas had left the king in no doubt at all.

‘Can you get some of these new weapons up to Julevädno and the Kildins, and have them trained in their use? I don’t like the moves that the East Geats have been making on their marches. These hákupušky may serve to deter them.’

eu4_218a.png

‘I will see to it, Majesty,’ Ivan bowed curtly. ‘It may take several months.’

‘Good. Do so.’

Vojtech clutched the left side of his chest at a sudden pang of pain which shot up his shoulder. Ever since the end of the war with Galicia, his heart had been giving him problems.

‘Majesty?’ Ivan asked him, bracing him for support. ‘Are you well?’

‘I am fine,’ Vojtech answered. ‘Thank you.’

Vojtech didn’t feel quite as fine as he’d given his přeskapitán to believe. He hoped it was not a sign of greater health issues—perhaps it would be a good idea to check in with the court physician.

~~~

eu4_231.png

On the twenty-eighth of July, 1472, the royal family and all their attendants attired themselves entirely in black for the second time within the space of four years. Vojtech was embalmed and laid in state in Velehrad Cathedral, where the Orthodox of that town all came to pay their respects to him before he was laid in the ground. Predslava wept softly, supported at the shoulder and consoled by her young personal maid, Miss Mosienková. The kingdom of Moravia now lay in the hands of a dark-haired, hazel-eyed toddler—a great-grandson to Róbert Rychnovský, a grandson to Vojtech and Predslava, and a son to Bohodar and Liusia, whom Róbert and Bohodar had never met in the flesh.

More correctly—it lay in the hands of Boleslav Stibor, a Silesian nobleman who had been entrusted with the diplomatic relations to the north. He was the natural choice when it came to considerations of a guardian for the young boy, and a regent for his reign until he came of age.

Although little Prokop posmrtný obediently allowed himself to be draped in the Robe of Radomír, and had the sceptre and orb placed in his hands, and the oil painted upon his head by the Metropolitan of Velehrad, it was Boleslav who stood by the side with his arms folded across his chest. It was to him that the estates of the realm would look for guidance, and to him that they would be answerable, for good or ill. Stibor smiled a grim smile as the three-year-old stumbled through the oaths of office that were still, like the garments of kingship that engulfed him, still much too large for him.

eu4_232a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Right. Back to business.

Thanks to the (uneasy) truce between the Union of filcats and the Palace of eu4, can comment on the aar, for which commenting has been the longest of all -long overdue-'s.

Fascinating structure of the story connecting the parts from ever-spreading over times within multiple arcs, and needless to say as having the awe and the lust for such extraordinarily convoluted bridges between the arcs, going over themselves and dashing into newer horizons out of sheer brilliance of its creativity; this will be the repeated praise of the work, since already made it back in 8 August of the last year, yet it is absolutely necessary:

Magnificent writing. Kudos.

Apologies for the necro-highlights:

Though our realms are alike in dignity – Bayern being larger in fact than the March – those of us who swore loyalty to von Tann are still subject on fairly harsh terms to the Waßerburg-Rothenburg estate.
It is highly curious and still wondering, despite never able to understand this interesting tendency of the english-speakers, insisting on using the prepositions for the house names, considering it as the full name when indicating the family-dynasty-clan-tribe etc.
Granted, it is accepted as the surname, but that is after the modern surname conventions, with the aspirations to nobility, yet in the case of the aesthetics of writing, not quite understanding the use of it by all (there are even multiple threads in ck forum asking to make the house names with the prepositions - the game design does not help it too: Everywhere there is af munsö or von habsburg or whatever, but the house name under the shields are correct, without prepositions).
Not understanding it, because for indicating the entire dynasty, cannot find any records pre-surname construct period in their languages such as von Hohenzollerns, nor von Habsburg dynasty, nor de' Medici family, etc.; but simply die Hohenzollern, die Habsburger, i Medici, etc. Also the english-records (19th century) on those, they use just the Hohenzollern, or Habsburgs, or House of Medici etc.

Interesting, in any way.

And so, the Bohemian-Greek Ruslav Lampsiōtēs wound up in the rather awkward position of having possession of a sizeable reindeer herd on the shores of Lake Tuoppajärvi, as well as a significant collection of Sámi second cousins and in-laws who treated him as their new headman.
Ahh, ck3, or crusader kings in its entirety, giving bonkers-successions and hurling everyone from one corner to another on the world; all the while there is the absolute exclave independence that is impossible to comprehend (have zero idea how it works, since it never does what is expected); still running with only rulers but no populations in those hundreds of provinces, only vague numbers as development and... eh. Never change, dear ck, never change mate.

Živana turned around as she felt a tap on her shoulder. She saw there facing her Cecilia Bedyrová, her round face flushed with excitement. She was a touch out of breath, as though she had come up behind Živana at a run.
While focusing on the ever-charming story of the Rychnovský, have completely overlooked the gem between the chapters: The Adventures of Živana Biľaková, or Fast Times at Univerzita svatého Michaela Archanděla.

Wondrous character by the way, that Prof Dr Weissfeld is. Kudos.

Apologies for the length and the lateness of the comment. Will return for more.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks to the (uneasy) truce between the Union of filcats and the Palace of eu4, can comment on the aar, for which commenting has been the longest of all -long overdue-'s.

Fascinating structure of the story connecting the parts from ever-spreading over times within multiple arcs, and needless to say as having the awe and the lust for such extraordinarily convoluted bridges between the arcs, going over themselves and dashing into newer horizons out of sheer brilliance of its creativity; this will be the repeated praise of the work, since already made it back in 8 August of the last year, yet it is absolutely necessary:

Magnificent writing. Kudos.

As always, @filcat, much obliged! And happy to read whenever you comment, I know you put in 125%.

It is highly curious and still wondering, despite never able to understand this interesting tendency of the english-speakers, insisting on using the prepositions for the house names, considering it as the full name when indicating the family-dynasty-clan-tribe etc.
Granted, it is accepted as the surname, but that is after the modern surname conventions, with the aspirations to nobility, yet in the case of the aesthetics of writing, not quite understanding the use of it by all (there are even multiple threads in ck forum asking to make the house names with the prepositions - the game design does not help it too: Everywhere there is af munsö or von habsburg or whatever, but the house name under the shields are correct, without prepositions).
Not understanding it, because for indicating the entire dynasty, cannot find any records pre-surname construct period in their languages such as von Hohenzollerns, nor von Habsburg dynasty, nor de' Medici family, etc.; but simply die Hohenzollern, die Habsburger, i Medici, etc. Also the english-records (19th century) on those, they use just the Hohenzollern, or Habsburgs, or House of Medici etc.

Interesting, in any way.

Interesting, indeed! This is something I never knew or was aware of myself in my writing; and I have learned German in the past. If it is not too much trouble to ask, which is the native language for you? I am legitimately surprised by your intimation that English is not your mother tongue - I had no idea in all this time.

Ahh, ck3, or crusader kings in its entirety, giving bonkers-successions and hurling everyone from one corner to another on the world; all the while there is the absolute exclave independence that is impossible to comprehend (have zero idea how it works, since it never does what is expected); still running with only rulers but no populations in those hundreds of provinces, only vague numbers as development and... eh. Never change, dear ck, never change mate.

Like I said. There's a reason why the word perkele is now a permanent fixture of Moravian vocabulary. :p

While focusing on the ever-charming story of the Rychnovský, have completely overlooked the gem between the chapters: The Adventures of Živana Biľaková, or Fast Times at Univerzita svatého Michaela Archanděla.

Wondrous character by the way, that Prof Dr Weissfeld is. Kudos.

Hehe. I thought you might appreciate the good Doctor, complete and utter ripoff as he is from a certain fantasy-SF-comedy-horror series we both know! Not to worry, Dr Weissfeld - and our good Živka - will both be making many returns to comment on the proceedings of this medieval-to-early-modern drama of Moravian transition.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Like I said. There's a reason why the word perkele is now a permanent fixture of Moravian vocabulary. :p
Oh yeah, how on earth have missed that, it is incredible:D
From the album Eclipse, by Amorphis (2006), though they prefer god of fire instead of thunder.

If it is not too much trouble to ask, which is the native language for you? I am legitimately surprised by your intimation that English is not your mother tongue - I had no idea in all this time.
Yeah, neither english nor german; but turkish. Cheers mate!
Even though had mentioned that before but in some other aar, still it is the net, so yeah; but whatever, let there be trust.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Oh yeah, how on earth have missed that, it is incredible:D
From the album Eclipse, by Amorphis (2006), though they prefer god of fire instead of thunder.

Man, you always pick the best songs. Whether Amorphis or the lovely Trio Mandili!

I really need to start a @filcat playlist on iTunes for when I need inspiration.

Yeah, neither english nor german; but turkish. Cheers mate!
Even though had mentioned that before but in some other aar, still it is the net, so yeah; but whatever, let there be trust.

Cheers, indeed! It does somewhat stand to reason.

But yes, I'll be more careful with my German prepositions in the future. Don't want to be too overcorrective... :p

• 2Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Eight
EIGHT.
With a Young King in Between
28 July 1472 – 24 January 1484

I.
18 July 1472 – 27 June 1476

eu4_232b.png

Babka,’ asked the dark-haired little boy. ‘What’s wrong?’

The Ruthenian grandmother of the young king gave her five-year-old grandson a fond tousle of the head. Predslava’s once-auburn hair had gone nearly all white from the grief and strain of the last few years, and the deep smile-lines in her round face had deepened into a heart-breaking sadness. The lad’s sympathy was real, honest and heartfelt—there was no doubt, no guile at all in those earnest hazel eyes. And it was of course kind of him to offer. But her problems were sadly beyond his understanding, let alone his help.

Šafár Boleslav Stibor—the man who had been appointed in charge of little Prokop’s upbringing and stewarding his governance until the boy was old enough to rule in his own right—had been the source of most of those problems. It had been subtle at first. An insinuation here, a cold shoulder there, a course taken without her input: but it had become a pattern. Stibor was deliberately freezing Predslava out of all decisions relating to the running of the Moravian state, and—what rankled still further—out of all decisions relating to little Prokop’s upbringing. It had been a stroke of luck that she’d even managed to have this little interview with him now.

‘Nothing you need to worry about, my heart,’ Predslava shook her head. ‘Does Boleslav let you play?’

Prokop nodded. ‘I like to play with my toy knights and horses.’

‘Good. You are getting enough sleep? You are eating well?’

‘Mm!’ Prokop nodded. ‘But I don’t get to eat dumplings like you have here.’

Predslava gave a nod to Helene Mosienková, who courtesied deeply and hurried out of the room upon her ladyship’s silent command. ‘Well then, make sure you eat what you can while you’re here. Babka misses you a lot, you know.’

‘I miss you too!’ Prokop gave Predslava a tight hug.

Unbidden, tears came to Predslava’s eyes. How long ago had it been that she’d been looking after Bohodar like this? And then he had gone into the grave, along with Róbert, followed too soon after by her Vojtech. And now that man was conspiring to keep her own grandson away from her as much as he could get away with. It was too cruel. She hugged Prokop back, tightly and long, and squeezed him about the round young shoulders.

The lady’s-maid Helene came back, with a knife and a wooden platter of several pirôžky stuffed with mushrooms, cabbage and cottage cheese, and seasoned with oil and dill, which she set up for him on the table in the chamber. Prokop crossed himself like a well-brought-up little boy, and set to with gusto. He loved pirôžky—even though they were very much so a peasant dish from the polonina.

pierogies.jpg

Helene went back to where her mistress sat, seeing her eyes still wet and red-rimmed, and placed a caring hand on her shoulder. Predslava gave Miss Mosienková a watery smile and patted her back. Her own little island of solidarity in a court suddenly turned cold to the Ruthenian widow in their midst, Mosienková had proven invaluable to her in these past few months.

As Prokop ate his dinner, Helene dared to speak to her mistress.

‘Milady, have you considered giving an audience to Ivan Olegovič?’

‘The přeskapitán?’ asked the former queen, a little taken aback by her maid’s suggestion. ‘Why? What would a military drillmaster, of all men, have to do with me?’

Helene lowered her voice to a confidential whisper. ‘Well, mistress… he is a Ruthenian, like you—from Podkarpatská. And if the stories I hear about him are true, he’s likely to be sympathetic to someone of your background. It can’t hurt matters to have an ally.’

Prokop finished up eating his last pirôžek, down to the last flake of crust and the last smear of cottage cheese, cleaned up his hands and face and came back to his grandmother. He spent as long as he could with Predslava, talking and playing with her, before the governess whom Stibor had appointed to shepherd him about came to claim him. With reluctance he went back to his quarter of the castle, again leaving Predslava alone.

‘Yes,’ the widow told her maid as her grandson left. ‘Give me an interview with Žerotínov. If he can give me back even a shred of the dignity I once had as a mother and a grandmother—it will be worth it.’

~~~​

Ivan Olegovič Žerotínov came out from his brief interview with the widowed former queen with something of a sense of bewilderment and puzzlement. He hadn’t advanced this far in the service in Moravia without a certain sense of political advantage. It was clear from Predslava’s insistence on their shared Carpatho-Russian origins that she was expecting some consideration from him. And given the way that she had been effectively isolated from court affairs on a modest pension, an out-of-the-way apartment in Olomouc Castle, limited access to her own royal grandson (endlessly in the care of others), and a single servant to her name… Ivan had a certain inkling about the nature of the consideration she wanted from him. She wanted him as her ally in the court.

eu4_236a.png
eu4_236b.png

The přeskapitán wasn’t unsympathetic to the poor woman. But at the same time, he had built his long career in the ranks of the Moravian Army—as a Russian-speaking ‘Lipovan’ and ‘foreigner’ and as a former oprišek—very carefully. He had come to be trusted to this degree precisely by not taking sides among court factions. And court politics were heating up. There was a dissension roiling the military ranks between those favouring a more offensive posture and those more insistent on shoring up town walls and strategic fortifications.

Also, the Stavovské Zhromaždenie had just met, and as usual the cassocks were at odds with the landed over where to spend the state’s funds, and the townsfolk were at loggerheads with both, urging that the state coffers should be stockpiled in case of real need. The burgher estate in Moravia had been hit hard recently, with several large merchant families coming under suspicion of disloyalty, and a general bearish trend among their interests, so that particular conservative preference among them didn’t come as a surprise to the přeskapitán at all.

eu4_239a.png
eu4_247a.png
eu4_248a.png

Žerotínov growled and shook his head as he went back to the training-grounds. The three tipping balances merged in his mind into a single one. It was unclear which of the three civil-conciliar factions the Regent would favour as yet, though he had a good idea that Boleslav Stibor would stick his thumb on the offensive side of the scale in the military debate.

Well, well. Perhaps he might be of service to the former queen after all, albeit indirectly. Žerotínov went straight to the garrison officer who would be on the defensive side of the operational debate.

‘I’ll give you my support,’ Žerotínov told him. If Stibor had to face some principled opposition from Žerotínov on the military front, it might leave Predslava a bit of room to breathe in her rear corner of the castle. It might even get her a bit more time together with the grandson she longed to see.

~~~

eu4_251a.png

The death of the field general Bošek Pilchramb, having been hit by a stray lead pellet during a training exercise with the newly-commissioned hákupušky, could not have come at a worse time. Ivan Olegovič had attended the funeral in solemn reverence, making his way through the procession to cross himself and touch his fellow-commander – as decently embalmed and laid-out as they could make him – along the arm in his casket.

Unfortunately, the přeskapitán could not be allowed to mourn his comrade in peace. The fact that Pilchramb had been hit by a bullet from a hákupuška during a training exercise, had naturally led to a fresh round of unpleasant whispers and rumours that Pilchramb’s death had been engineered by the man who had introduced the new weapons to the troops. Žerotínov had to grind his teeth at that. Any impartial investigation would find that the troops under his command and drilling had been given every attention in building basic proficiency with the weapons’ safety, as well as the rudiments of good marksmanship. But once these things were pointed out publicly, the hidden whispers didn’t dissipate so much as take on a nasty turn. If Pilchramb hadn’t died thanks to Žerotínov’s negligence, then perhaps it was owing to malice—jealousy, perhaps?

Žerotínov was not a vain man, but as a career military man he did place a certain value upon his image. He understood well that as a Carpatho-Russian from the hilly far east of Great Moravia, he would be subject to a certain degree of suspicion from the better-ensconced noblemen of Moravia Proper and Nitra. But he hadn’t imagined their willingness to slander him and blacken his good name with insinuations of premeditated murder… and at that, of a comrade-in-arms that he liked and respected!

eu4_252a.png

eu4_253a.png

Žerotínov couldn’t put it out of his mind that this had been owing to his public opposition to Boleslav Stibor’s desire to pour more energy and funding into building the army’s offensive posture. But Stibor himself had more urgent and important matters to attend to! His whole attention thus far had been on the delicate diplomatic dance of bringing the vojvoda Budivoj Rychnovský-Nisa of Věluň ‘in from the cold’, and fully integrating the voivodeship once more as a full member of the Moravian kingdom. (Not that the case was hard to make after the Galician assassination attempt—but the devil, as the saying went, was all in the details.) If it hadn’t been Stibor, then, perhaps it was one of the other generals in the offencist camp: probably Švamberka.

At any rate, Pilchramb hadn’t been long laid in the ground before the thunderbolt struck. Once again Grand Princess Rostislava Khovanskaya had pressed her claim upon the Kárpátok Birodalma—this time upon the Bessarabian lands, including the eastern Csángóföld from which Árpád Czenzi had once hailed. Moravia was honour-bound to answer the call to war, and join on the Ruthenians’ behalf. And, to say nothing of the former queen Predslava, the troubles of Ivan Olegovič Žerotínov had only just begun.

eu4_255.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
II.
1 July 1476 – 17 July 1477
‘But why, Strýko?’ Prokop inquired of his caretaker, with an accusatory glare. ‘She’s my babka! Oughtn’t I to spend time with her? Why is it that you always want me to study or train?’

Boleslav Stibor shook his head indulgently. ‘Prokop—you’re fast becoming a young man! You’re already seven years old—before you know it, you’ll be lord of Olomouc in your own right and I’ll be out of a job. But, you know, young men—

‘—have responsibilities,’ Prokop finished Stibor’s sentence with a groan. Again that slow, indulgent smile flashed across Stibor’s face as he patted the young Kráľ on the head. Few were the hands that were as privileged as Boleslav Stibor’s, to dare such a gesture and not fear to lose it. Prokop took in a breath and blew it out.

‘Yes, Strýko,’ he grumbled. ‘Yes, I’ll attend to my mathematics and my Moravian letters. Yes, I’ll attend to my history and theology lessons. Yes, I’ll train blades and staves with the sergeant in the courtyard. And yes—I know that the fate of my country is resting on my shoulders! But… even so…’

Stibor ran a hand over his neatly-trimmed moustaches and regarded his young charge with a degree of sympathy. ‘Tell you what, O my young Kráľ. If you’ve finished all your studies and revisions for the week by Friday night, and have put in at least three hours training that day, I’ll let you spend Saturday with your babka. Would that suit you?’

Prokop grinned. ‘Thanks, Stibor. Thanks for understanding.’

‘But if that’s an outing you want, you’d better go about earning it, yes? Hop to it!’

Prokop went off biddably—even eagerly—leaving the Regent to follow his retreating steps with his eyes until he went out of sight into the king’s study to meet with his tutor. Then Boleslav turned on his heels and strode back toward the barracks.

Boleslav Stibor understood well how the old Queen Predslava must see him. She must think him a cold, unfeeling, heartless wretch, discouraging Prokop from visiting her whenever he wished it. Very likely, she thought even worse of him—perhaps even harbouring designs on the throne for himself. It wouldn’t be the first time or the last that a regency had taken such advantage of a young charge, of course.

The problem was that the world beyond Olomouc would not be as forgiving or as indulgent as she was. Youth and inexperience were not valid excuses for a king, if he were to make a poor ruling or a strategic error. If Prokop was to be the proper king that he had been tasked with raising to adulthood, then he had to be weaned from the women’s quarters, hard, and early. He needed to spend time with his male peers, his male tutors, and his male drillmaster, in order to be made into the man who would steer Moravia. Vojtech’s reign had been disastrously short—Róbert’s leonine legacy was still what little Prokop would be tasked with upholding.

Just now, Moravia was at war, once again with a Carpathian state to the south that sought to devour all the territory on Moravia’s southern march between Bratislava and Maramoroš. Thankfully, the Moravians had struck hard and fast southward, into the stray jut of Carpathia that was enveloped on three sides by the Viedenský les. With the help of the Burgundians under Clotaire de Brimeu, they’d put the Carpathian defenders of the western forests to rout. But such help was not always forthcoming in Moravia’s battles, and Prokop needed to be ready to face such foes and worse—even if that meant robbing him of the company, for the time being, of his beloved grandmother.

eu4_261a.png

eu4_267a.png

And so, Stibor was a trifle stung by Predslava’s hatred of him, but at least he understood it. His only hope was that Prokop would turn out well enough that she’d forgive him—if that bitter old Ruthenian lived that long.

He was a little bit less sanguine about Žerotínov’s now-hardened opposition to his offencist policy. Stibor’s lip curled even thinking about Žerotínov: the ‘reformed’, ‘penitent’ oprišek. Too many of the Moravian kings—Radomír 4. in particular, who had loved all things Russian beyond all rational measure or proportion—had been indulgent with that sort for far too long. But Stibor saw Žerotínov and his kind for what they were: crude, foul-mouthed, swaggering, hatchet-brandishing, goat-humping hill-country bravos who fancied themselves Robin Hoods, and clung to the tatters of some imagined Varangian or Cossack nobility… but who would happily turn their coats, back-stab in their former comrades and flee to the enemy at the first sign of trouble. As far as the Silesian nobleman Stibor was concerned, no Russian officer was worth the trouble to keep.

Stibor hadn’t started the whispers and the rumours of Žerotínov’s potentially-divided loyalties. Hailing as Žerotínov did from the Maramoroš region, and having as chequered a past as he did, those rumours could have come from anywhere. But Stibor had done exactly nothing to quash them. As far as he was concerned, the rumours might as well be true.

~~~​

With a heavy groan, Ivan Olegovič passed over the threshold of his home at the end of another day. He made the Sign of the Cross and kissed the image of the Mother of God which hung at the side of his door. And he shuffled inside and sat heavily down on the bench nearest the door. He slumped back, lifting his eyes heavenward. As he brought them back down, he found himself giving a long sigh as they lit upon the handle of the axe that rested on its mount on the wall—the most visible reminder and keepsake he kept of his former brigand’s life. He shrugged off his jacket and folded it. Then he took the tall cap off his head, letting his two long grizzled brown braids fall around his shoulders, and set it aside. Then he reached down to unstring the boots from his weary feet.

An earnest, slender-faced young woman came over to where her father sat, and took his boots aside for him, tucking them safe out of the way but where he could still find them again. Then she looked down into her father’s face.

Näňko,’ the girl breathed as she hugged him. ‘What else was said today?’

eu4_268a.png

A tired—but affectionate and grateful—arm answered the girl’s sympathy. ‘Nothing I haven’t heard before a thousand times, I’m afraid, Pajzočka môja. I fear there are few… altogether too few… among the nobility who believe any Russian is good to his word. We’re all hirelings or Asiatic slaves in their eyes. They won’t say as much to me openly, and they won’t dare outright oppose Vojtech’s order placing me in charge of mustering and training the troops. But it’s clear that they don’t think that… well, that someone like me… has any proper feeling or sense of camaraderie.’

‘Rubbish! Rubbish, Näňo!’ Paraskeva Ivanovná exclaimed, incensed on her father’s behalf. ‘And after you introduced the new hákupuška to the soldiers, and taught them how to fire it? And after you ordered the armoury carpenters to start building two-wheeled peredki to replace those clumsy back-wagon mounts from Velehradský’s day? After a whole career of improving the Moravian Army and mentoring the young men who fight in it—they still question your loyalty?’

eu4_259a.png

‘They shouldn’t. They still do.’

‘And all this stupid distrust of Russians!’ Paraskeva scoffed. ‘Well, alright, the Galicians haven’t been too friendly. But Great Ruthenia and White Ruthenia both have been nothing but constant as Moravia’s friends and allies since the days of Radomír 4., and we Carpathian Russians—nothing but loyal! How can they despise and distrust us like this?’

Ivan sighed. ‘I’d venture to guess… many Moravians resent the fact that Rostislava has now called us into two territorial wars of her own choosing. And what does Moravia get out of this friendship?’

‘But what can we do about it?’

Ivan ran a hand down over his thick, greying moustaches. ‘Well… I’ve stuck my neck out as far as I can for our countrywoman—the former queen, Predslava. I can only hope she’s taking advantage of the opportunities and spaces of free air that I can afford her. And now, I’ve… made an offer to Stibor.’

Paraskeva’s eyes narrowed. ‘An offer? What kind of offer?’

Ivan’s long face sagged still further, weary as he was of thinking of the potential stakes. ‘It’s the sort of offer on which one stakes everything. My honour, my freedom, my life—even you, my child, my most precious one. I am risking everything in the attempt to prove myself loyal to that seven-year-old boy whose crown fits yet so ill on his head.’

‘What have you done?’

‘I’ve offered the Moravian Army intelligence on all my old contacts among the opriški—all the brothers of the hills I used to run raids with in the polonina—in order to gain access to the Carpathian war-plans.’

‘But you could get them all killed! And us, if this fails!’

‘I’m well aware of that. If you wish it, Pajzočka, I can make arrangements for your safe passage.’

But Paraskeva gulped, steeled herself, and shook her head. ‘If this is what it takes to make us Russians human again in their eyes… if this is what it takes, Näňo, then I’ll face that wager together with you. If the nest gets trampled, what egg won’t be cracked? I won’t run anywhere.’

~~~​

Austria and Burgundy concluded their war with Carpathia in September of 1476, but the former country still allowed Moravia’s troops free reign to march across their territory the better to hand the Carpathians further bloody noses. The Moravian Army made a slow, steady advance eastward around Lake Balaton. However, there were no reports which came back from the polonina. Although he didn’t allow it to show, Žerotínov was waiting on tenterhooks. In truth, he somewhat distrusted himself, whether or not one among his former band of brothers might betray the trust he was placing in them to the Emperor of Carpathia, for the right offer. But the opriški operated with remarkable effectiveness and secrecy, and soon Boleslav Stibor was privy to the troop movements, within three days’ remove, of all of Carpathia’s armies between Maramoroš in the east, and Sopron in the west. They had used this information to swoop eastward at speed, and besiege and capture Pest.

Ivan Žerotínov had been true to his word. And he had placed Moravia first—even ahead of the possible consequences to his own reputation and personal safety.

eu4_274a.png

eu4_283a.png

When one of his tutors mentioned something to this effect during a lesson, Prokop posmrtný had taken the opportunity after his class to take a short detour down to the barracks, in person. He had quickly found the middle-aged man he was looking for—tall cap, cloak, thick and wild-looking moustaches on a gaunt face.

‘Ivan Olegovič,’ the boy addressed him by his patronymic. The man turned to answer, and then knelt at once to the boy once he realised who was addressing him.

‘No, no, get up,’ the serious little seven-year-old told him. ‘I heard from my tutor about the reconnaissance runs you were ordering among your people for us. I just wanted to thank you in person.’

‘There’s no need to thank me, your Majesty,’ Ivan spoke modestly. ‘I do my duty, as all of us do.’

‘I wish all our men had the same sense of duty as you,’ Prokop answered. ‘It can’t be easy for you here, particularly not after ocko died: I know you were his man. But your sacrifices are appreciated.’

Ivan gave a sad little half-smile, inclining his head further in respect. ‘If at seven years of age you can already perceive this,’ he told the young king warmly, ‘then I have no fears about the kingdom being ruled wisely in eight more.’

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
III.
23 July 1477 – 26 January 1479

eu4_282b.png
eu4_282a.png

It was the twenty-third of July, in the year 1477, when Budivoj Rychnovský-Nisa arrived in Olomouc to settle into a permanent nobleman’s residence. As it turned out, the integration process of Věluň into Moravia was much less complicated than it first seemed—the long rule of the Rychnovský family in both Upper and Lower Silesia had meant that both lands had fairly similar laws, customs, tax regimens and religious policies. There was significantly less headache involved for Boleslav Stibor and the Moravian diplomatic corps than they had both first feared, which was all to the best. (The same could not, however, be said for the Moravian holdings and claims among the Sámi, which were consistently bumping up against the more direct-democratic tribal laws and communal customs of ownership—causing headaches, unfortunately, for everyone involved.)

Stibor had thus turned the formidable Moravian diplomatic corps out to work on the northwestern border, cutting similar deals with the men of Drážďany. If the borders of Moravia were going to be secured against the threat from the East Franks, the little Sorbian and Saxon statelets in the Erzgebirge were of the utmost strategic importance. For his part, Jaromír Obodritovec was more than agreeable to an arrangement consisting of a dynastic and military alliance with the larger Slavic state to the southeast.

eu4_285b.png
eu4_285a.png
eu4_304a.png

The war with the Carpathian Empire was proceeding well apace. After the fall of Pest, the resistance of the Bulgarian, Hungarian and Vlach warriors of Carpathia became clumsy and disorganised, and the Moravians swiftly captured county after county after county. Worse still for the Detvanský Emperor of those middle lands, his coffers had run completely dry long since, he’d borrowed far past his means, and even the Jews were not willing to extend him additional lines of credit. The war had utterly bankrupted his state, and he was in no position to field any armies worthy of the name. As a result, Stibor found that more of his attention was demanded in garrisoning the spoils than in fending off Carpathian assaults.

eu4_296a.png

eu4_292.png

And the young king, Prokop, found himself given a degree of freedom in this state of war that he had never been afforded in peace. The youngster used that degree of freedom to visit, in particular, his grandmother in the waning days of her life. And he didn’t go there just for the food. Prokop loved to listen to Predslava… the tales about the birch and rowan forests of her youth, the times of heleths and heroism in the days before musketry that were fading fast now into memory, the losses of war—of her father-in-law, her son, finally her husband. The eight-year-old Prokop understood how important he was to Predslava, and he felt almost by instinct that he had to be there for her.

Although she was now such a frail elderly woman, barely able to stand and hobble on her own legs now, he listened to her. And when he was not listening to her stories, he was telling her about his progress in his studies, and his impressions of his tutors. He even recited for her a long section of the Veľké pojednanie of Ptolemy, from the version translated by Radomír 2.

Molodec,’ said the elderly Ruthenian woman, taking his hands. ‘A young boy should have a fine ear for Slavonic and Greek, and he will grow up into a clever man. Don’t sit like a stump on a hill, that’s my Prokop! But I haven’t heard anything yet about your maths and geometry tutor…’

Prokor’s lip curled despite himself. ‘Trpimír never comes on time. And he always mumbles his way through his lectures.’

‘Then the burden is on you,’ his grandmother told him sternly, ‘to pay extra careful attention to what he says. And you show him respect. You cannot expect a tutor to do his job properly, if you do not show him the deference and respect that he is due. Do not let me hear even one word of complaint of you from Trpimír!’

‘But I am the king,’ Prokop jutted his jaw. ‘Should he not be respectful to me?’

‘King or not,’ Predslava narrowed her wrinkled lips and frowned at her grandson, ‘you listen to those who are older than you, and who have greater experience and knowledge. This is how you become wise. Now I see you practising with your sword and shield every day in the courtyard. I see you besting thirteen, fourteen-year-old boys with ease. Stibor is teaching you to be a fighter.’

Prokop stiffened, knowing what she was about to say, but did not say anything.

‘But a fighter only dies in the wars of other men. Your babka would much rather you be a peacemaker—like your ancestor Letopisár—and be called a “son of God” before the throne of Christ.’

Within himself, Prokop wasn’t entirely sure about that. Kaloján z Boskovic had just scored a brilliant victory for the glory of Moravia at Warsaw over Nitrabor Chibisov, capturing the entire unit with its commander at the cost of only two hundred odd men. The resounding reports of it had reached Stibor’s ears, and thus also his. But he wasn’t about to provoke his grandmother by bringing that up just now. He nodded his understanding and acquiescence, and Predslava’s wrinkled mouth eased a bit.

eu4_301a.png
eu4_302a.png

Helene Mosienková, the queen’s maid, observed these things with a grateful eye. Her ladyship truly was fond of her grandson. Such a bold and guileless boy as Prokop might be utterly unsuited for keeping all but the most harmless of secrets, but his depth of feeling and understanding of his duty to those he cared about—those were things in Prokop that she couldn’t help but appreciate and approve in a young man. And it was something only a lady’s personal maid would notice, but—Predslava’s smiles, fleeting and flickering against a world that had taken from her very nearly everything including at the last her freedom and her dignity, came now only when Prokop entered the room. He was her last hope. And this thoughtful young boy did not deprive her of one lumen of that hope, when it lay in his power.

Prokop left for his mathematics lessons with the disliked Trpimír, and Predslava sent him off with another word of caution in his ear. And then she turned to Helene.

‘He’s a clever child, but I do still worry about him.’

‘As a grandmother does and should. If he weren’t there for you to worry about, you’d be truly forlorn.’

Predslava chuckled. ‘Between you and him—and Paraskeva Žerotínová, when she has the time—the three of you truly make my waning days bearable. Promise me one thing, Helene?’

‘Anything, mistress, if it’s within my power.’

‘When I’m gone… will you keep watch over Prokop for me? This war with Carpathia seems to be giving Prokop the wrong idea, and all the rulers of this nation since Radomír 4. have all been bent upon concentrating more power in the hands of the autocrat. That degree of power could be dangerous for my Prokop. Please: don’t let Stibor turn him into a stupid fathead in a helmet and cuirass. And don’t let them do to him, what was done to my Bohodar.’

‘That boy can be stubborn. But I will do my best, milady.’

eu4_293a.png
eu4_305a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
IV.
31 January 1479 – 17 June 1482

eu4_323a.png

‘Ján is here! Ján is here! The hrabě of Brno is here!’

A man with lush, glossy curls of blond hair emerging from beneath his broad-brimmed hat, and two very neatly-groomed moustaches, appeared in the town square of Brno. He was flanked by a solid phalanx of his own zbrojnošov, armed with pikes and muskets. He had a carefully-rehearsed expression upon his face: one suggesting deep long-suffering and a reluctant resolve.

‘Friends!’ he addressed the throng. ‘Good Moravians! We have reached a crucial moment. What I am about to tell you may sound harsh, but understand first that I speak only out of patriotism and out of love for my country. We are being led by the nose by these two evil cliques in the capital—you know of whom I speak, I do not need to speak their vile names—who have hedged themselves around the infant king. Prokop posmrtný, even if he did have any real power to speak of, is still inclining his ear only to the poison of his Regent, and his most powerful ministers.’

‘And why do you not advise him, milord? Truly such a man as well-favoured as our Hrabě Ján Zajič, should be able to use his calm reason and restore the king to the correct path!’

The hrabě gave a considered nod toward where the voice in the crowd had come.

eu4_317a.png
eu4_329a.png

‘A fair question indeed,’ the hrabě grimaced. ‘It has not been for lack of trying. But even to try to approach the king is to be preceded by the Regent, who cares for nothing but his own lavish spending, sees the coffers of our country as his own purse, and takes still more and more money for his debased appetites. Whence do you think the burghers of Praha and Olomouc get all their special privileges?’

There was an unholy roar of jealous rage from the crowd at this pronouncement.

‘A new king! Let there be a new king!’ came another voice, which sounded suspiciously similar to the first. Almost as though it had been planted there.

The riled crowd cried out in agreement, ‘A new king! Down with the Regent!’

‘Friends,’ Ján held up his hands in one last ‘attempt’ at placation. ‘Perhaps the path of reason has not yet been exhausted. I shall deliver one last missive to the court. But if even that is refused—yes, you shall have not only a new king, but a new Kaloján to rival the glories of the first!’

‘Hail the new king! Hail our new Kaloján!’

It was in this way that, in early December of 1480, the nobility and many of the burghers of Brno were manipulated into supporting the ambitions of the self-styled Kaloján 2. Zajič in his bid to usurp the Moravian throne away from Prokop posmrtný. Ján Zajič had, of course, manipulated events in his own favour, and was not above using cheap theatrics and sophistry such as his carefully-choreographed appearance in Brno’s town square to get his way. But the men of Brno were indeed reacting against some very real problems.

eu4_315a.png
eu4_320a.png

The šafár and Regent Boleslav Stibor had undertaken two policies which had been very unpopular in the Moravian hinterlands. First of all: he had taken to compensating certain influential merchants from Praha and Olomouc for losses they had incurred in trade—reasoning, quite correctly, that Moravia needed those merchants in place to capture more of the profits in trading hubs like Wien. However, that had looked to townsmen from smaller towns like Brno very much so like favouritism. No handouts from the royal coffers awaited them if they went belly-up! And then there had been the issue of town charters. As a member of one of Moravia’s ethnic minorities himself, a Silesian who was sympathetic to the local peculiarities of the Bohemian towns, Boleslav Stibor had been quick to grant protections to cities in the west who wanted to preserve their traditional prerogatives and legal immunities. That had also not played particularly well in the Moravian heartland. And neither had the loans that the Moravian state had had to apply for as a result.

The Moravian armies were not slow to move against the usurper. Kaloján z Boskovic’s attitude was a fairly cautious one, however: Zajič was no fool. He was a nobleman bred and born to military discipline and strategy. His armies were well-furnished, well-fed, well-trained and high-spirited—and they outnumbered the standing forces in Olomouc. Z Boskovic waited until the word came from Bratislava that the local armies there were underway, before he began his march south.

Even then, z Boskovic arrived well before the Nitrans did. That, he did deliberately, to control the field of battle and prevent the enemy from choosing a tactically better-defended position along the Morava, for example. So even though he was fielding an inferior force, he considered it necessary to hold Zajič in the open and wait for reinforcements rather than allowing the usurper’s armies to dig in their heels.

eu4_325a.png

The resulting victory had been costly. Kaloján z Boskovic grimly surveyed the field of battle after the Nitrans had routed the usurper’s forces… the pikemen and musketeers on foot had suffered some four thousand casualties, and nearly a quarter of the royal knights had been unhorsed. But Zajič had come off worse: over half of his cavalry had been unseated, and very nearly half of his armigers on foot.

But they could not afford to lick their wounds here—z Boskovic quickly decamped and gave chase to the fleeing men of Brno, cornering them in a narrow defile in the Tribeč Mountains and utterly decimating them. Zajič was brought to Olomouc in chains, and sentenced to slow strangulation for his crime of high treason against the crown. Despite several official requests for leniency from the Moravian Orthodox Church, the death sentence against Ján Zajič was not commuted by any extenuating factors.

eu4_326a.png

eu4_328a.png

~~~​

‘Still,’ said the Regent, ‘the causes of such disorders should not be ignored.’

eu4_312a.png

Pravoslav Komenský, a fine painter from the Opole who had been hired on to do some restoration work in Olomouc, answered Boleslav Stibor: ‘Well, whom do the people trust? They don’t trust burgomasters or greedy merchants… giving them too ready an ear was a mistake. It may also have been a mistake to cast too ready an eye on Lehnice—even if Lehnice is traditionally the seat of one branch of Rychnovský kin and has been historically a part of Moravia.’

Boleslav bit back a retort. The proud Silesian wasn’t entirely happy about this painter describing his homeland as ‘historically a part of Moravia’, even if it had been Boleslav’s idea to retrieve Lehnice from a Pomeranian grasp. ‘And who would you suggest instead?’

eu4_323b.png

The painter tilted his head. ‘Who else but the Church? And I don’t mean the black clergy and hierarchs in their cathedrals, either—the people in the countryside trust their parish priests.’

Boleslav grimaced. ‘Well… I suppose it can’t hurt to appeal a bit to local sentiments. A bit.’

Boleslav might not have liked it, but he couldn’t very well deny that the Moravian Orthodox Church was indeed one of the mainstays of civil order within the realm. People did tend to trust their parish priests. If the villagers in white cassocks forbade something, you could be sure that the overwhelming majority of the people in that village would abstain. Perhaps if more of the ‘white clergy’ in southern Moravia hadn’t shared the dissatisfaction with the city privileges that the nobility had, Ján Zajič might not have become so powerful in the first place… nor would quelling him have posed any great difficulty.

The easiest way to gauge the feeling within the Church, at least from the perspective of the princes and statesmen, was through the Stavovské Zhromaždenie, but the council had already met that season and no further progress had been made. Besides, the ordinary parish priests to whom Pravoslav Komenský had pointed were, as a rule, not present at such grand state events.

And so the Regent (somewhat against his own personality) had left matters in the hands of the Church itself.

eu4_333a.png
eu4_336a.png

The Moravian Orthodox Church called for a local council: to which all the parish priests from the heartlands of the realm were invited. After they convoked, one of the most pressing matters which they brought forward was the need for a general amnesty for those who had been taken in the recent rebellion. Such an amnesty was quickly granted. The clergy also cautioned strongly against pressing any Moravian claim on Lehnice—for the Church was One and Holy, and on both sides of the border between Upper and Lower Silesia they kept to the same faith. In this, however, the crown could only promise so much. They couldn’t very well back out of a territorial claim they had gone to such trouble to procure. However, the council ended with the consecration of a newly-built church in Nové Zámky. The construction of this new house of God had long been a desire of the Church, and for them to have closed out their council with a christening of the cornerstone was a deep mark of gratitude and loyalty from them.

~~~​

The young king, Prokop, had deeply mourned the loss of his grandmother. He continued to wear the colours of mourning in Predslava’s memory as well as in cousin Yeremei’s (he having died within the past months as well). However, the historical ties between Moravia and Běla Rus’ remained strong, as they had before Prokop’s Belarusian mother Liusia took the vows.

eu4_307a.png
eu4_308a.png

He still chafed somewhat under the restraints that Boleslav Stibor had put him under, and he hadn’t quite forgiven the Regent for having isolated Predslava during her final years. As well, having grown up in a court in which large responsibilities were not demanded of him and where he was kept fairly sheltered by his advisors… had given him something of a naïve streak. But Prokop was making leaps and bounds forward in his studies of mathematics and engineering. This, at least, was something that Helene Mosienková delighted in observing from afar, following as she did the dictates laid down to her by her late mistress. Prokop was still very much his grandmother’s grandson, and there was no doubt in the virtuous young courtier’s mind that the teenager would grow up to become a fine king in his own right.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@Von Acturus: Quite so. I think that the Regent figured that one out too (eventually).

V.
6 August 1482 – 23 January 1484

The latter half of the year 1482 was when the ‘troubles in the north’ began. A phrase that quickly took on two very different meanings.

Firstly, the Obotrite Margraviate of Drježdźany had suffered a major incursion by the East Franks from the north. In fact, the Hrabja had lost the jewel of his crown in the humiliating treaty that resulted: the town of Drježdźany itself, which the East Franks renamed as ‘Dresden’.

eu4_334a.png
eu4_339a.png

This was a matter of consternation to Moravia for several reasons. The first of these was historical: the Voivodeship of Milčané (of which the Margraviate of Drježdźany was one of three small successor-states) had been founded by Kráľ Pravoslav Rychnovský of Moravia in the tenth century, with the Bulghar Bogöri Srednogorski being appointed the first vojvod over the Sorbs. When Milčané had become independent, the Voivodeship had maintained close links with Moravia: both political and dynastic. Želimír’s ‘Heretic Queen’ Živana Rychnovská-Lehnice was at least half-Sorbian, as was Kráľ Kaloján’s consort Bohumila Rychnovská-Nisa.

The second reason for Moravian concern was political. Distressingly, the claims of the East Frankish marches now extended clear up the Ore Mountains, and now bordered on the Bohemian crown lands. The East Franks had long been an aggressive force pushing eastward against Slavic lands from the West. It would not be long now before they took to making war on Great Moravia itself.

eu4_337a.png

Boleslav Stibor, acting on behalf of Moravian interests, was compelled to publicly issue a guarantee of Drježdźany’s independence… though this was something of a case of closing the barn door after the horses had bolted. The East Franks were already manning the passes south through the Ores. The Hrabja Marek of Drježdźany, for his part, was grateful even for this belated gesture… though it is a cruel fate for a small country caught between two large ones, to be forced to balance between the two.

These were but the first of the ‘troubles in the north’, though. Other troubles were awaiting even further north.

A great dissension had arisen among the various tribes of Sápmi in the north. One of the siida among the Kildin Sámi had been taken by a mob and thrown from a cliff, and the other Sámi villages had moved with wrath against the offenders, with the intent to restore the grand council and its rule over the Kildin Sámi.

eu4_339b.png

Regent Boleslav Stibor, not being familiar with the ins and outs of Sámi politics, had officially lent the Moravian state’s support to the tribes of the centre and south of Sápmi. According to the feudal habits of the regent’s mind, Sápmi had the better claim over the rabble which had executed their own siida. Unfortunately, he had misread the local appraisal of the situation rather badly. The few Moravian noblemen who had eked out a living along Lake Tuoppajärvi, had viewed the reprisal of the central and southern Sámi with alarm. A united Sápmi in the north, with the Kildins united with the central and southern Sámi, would pose a direct threat to the Moravian holdings in Biela Karélia.

The Moravian lords in those frosty climes, thinking that Olomouc had left them high and dry in response to an invasion, did the only thing they could do. They declared a general revolt against the Crown, and issued a list of demands for official protection of their legal claims.

The revolt was, unfortunately, wildly successful. The three thousand Moravians, Karelians and Sámi living along Tuoppajärvi who had been under the titular rule of Olomouc—successfully exerted control over the entirety of the area, and held it in defiance of both Sápmi and the Moravian Crown.

eu4_346a.png
eu4_347a.png
eu4_351a.png

~~~​

‘But why?’ asked the fourteen-year-old, shaking his pudding-bowl brown haircut from side to side in disbelief. ‘What do the nobles in that remote area hope to gain by striking out on their own?’

‘Probably,’ answered his Regent, ‘they believe that they stand to gain from the Sámi squabbling amongst themselves, and are seeking to carve out further holdings as the Sámi are weakened by internal conflicts. Opportunists, the lot of them.’

For his own part, Prokop wasn’t so sure. ‘I wish Ivan Olegovič were still here,’ he murmured.

Ivan Žerotínov had reposed in September of 1482. The state funeral, at which Paraskeva Ivanovna had been the chief mourner, had been suitably dignified. The Carpatho-Russian přeskapitán had been broadly mourned among the commoners in the military, and even among the noblemen who had served under him and seen the results of his innovations. Prokop, who particularly remembered Žerotínov’s selfless loyalty to the Moravian Crown, had seen to it that he was given the posthumous honour due to a Russian of such high rank and achievements. He was buried with both the Moravian title of přeskapitán, and with the Cossack title of esaul: honoured both for his loyalty to Moravia, and for the steely courage and moral fibre he had demonstrated as a Russian.

eu4_338a.png

Stibor wisely kept silence. Žerotínov had been a hero of the Moravian realm in life. And whatever rivalries there had been between Žerotínov and himself, there was nothing to be gained now from speaking ill of the dead.

The young king pondered. ‘The realm needs both a firm hand, and a gentle voice.’

Stibor smiled. He thanked God that Prokop had been spared all the political manoeuvres and management of the various cliques in government that he’d had to manage. And what was more: he not only cared about the young king, but as Prokop had grown up he’d come to like him. Bold, forthright, idealistic, energetic—there was a lot about this kinglet, this sprout of the Rychnovských, to admire.

‘Then they shall have it from you.’

And after the teenage king left to pursue his studies, Stibor murmured to himself:

‘… with a little help under the table from me. At least with the firm hand, I can give you a head start.’

There was little Stibor could do presently, either about the East Frankish incursions into Drježdźany, or about the revolt against the Moravian Crown in Karelia. But the money that Stibor had borrowed to keep the Bohemian merchants afloat—that could be paid back… after he cracked down hard on the nobles who had been involved in Ján Zajič’s revolt. Although he had been contemplating an amnesty for those involved in the uprising, he did need a way to strengthen the young king’s hand.

eu4_345b.png

eu4_345a.png

eu4_346b.png

The seizure of noble properties throughout the south of Moravia was swift and unsparing. The hrabství of Brno was dismantled entirely. Its privileges were granted instead directly to the crown. The surviving zbrojnošov of southern Moravia proper who had participated in the revolt were stripped of both their ranks and their more material titles.

Not only the nobility were disciplined in this way.

Those churchmen who had given their blessing (either explicitly or tacitly) to the revolt, as well as those who had argued for clemency for Zajič, found themselves on the receiving end of the Regent’s wrath as well. Many parishes in southern Moravia found that their charters were not renewed. The Regent pressured the monasteries and churches around Brno in particular to sell their lands at extremely low rates to the Crown.

In the end, Brno was left in a lot worse condition than when it had begun. The Regent had sent the message to them loud and clear. But there was still one other message that he wanted to send.

eu4_342a.png

The Stavovské Zhromaždenie, when it met once more, began in an uproar of voices. Brno, still displeased with its recent treatment at the Regent’s hands, was the most vociferous.

‘Does the Regent hope to gain anything from this tyranny? Karelia is in open revolt and you punish us, good Moravians who willingly submit to your rule?’

‘Perhaps we should apply to the East Franks! At least they would give us fair price for fair goods!’

‘A fair trade for a burgher soul!’ cried one of the black clergy, incensed. ‘Thirty pieces of silver to betray our brothers in Drježdźany!’

Boleslav Stibor raised his hands before the convocation of burghers, black clergy and noblemen. ‘Now, gentlemen, let’s not be hasty. I am a reasonable man—open to proposals. I am willing to hear you out, if you would suggest to me how the Crown could repay what you feel it owes to Moravia Proper.’

An elderly craftsman representing the guilds of Ostrava stood up and stepped forward. ‘I know that the merchants of our town have begun farming out work into the rural areas. It is an evil practice which we have borrowed from the Franks: the bowers are scattered and easily cheated. But the simple fact of the matter is that the facilities we have in town are not adequate to the demand for items like dye, cloth and wrought-iron. If the crown would lend some assistance to the guildsmen of Ostrava and Brno, it would go a long way toward proving your goodwill.’

‘Is this proposal agreeable to the men of Brno?’ asked the Regent.

The head of the guilds of Brno gave a stiff, reluctant nod. He wasn’t any happier than the craftsman from Ostrava was about the mercantile practice of ‘putting-out’ and the displacement of the town craftsmen.

‘Very well,’ said Stibor. ‘It’s a reasonable proposal. I shall send carpenters and smiths from Olomouc right away to get started on improving your guilds’ capacities.’

The elder burghers of Ostrava and Brno made deep bows.

eu4_343b.png
eu4_343a.png

As it turned out, the plan for improving Ostrava and Brno went much more smoothly than expected. The elder craftsman hadn’t been lying about the towns’ need for raw and middling wares like cloth and wrought iron not being met. It seemed that the new storehouses they had erected in both towns were never full, and that goods moved through them like water. And not only the towns of southern Moravia drew the benefit: so too did the Crown!

The windfalls from the increased flow of commerce through Ostrava and Brno allowed Boleslav Stibor to pay back from the royal treasury at least one of the loans he had incurred. As Stibor signed the agreement to hand over the silver, and sealed the hot wax on the scroll to be handed off to the money-house, he gave a sigh. The young king would turn fifteen in January. By ancient law and custom, that would mean he was ready to take over the affairs of state. Stibor’s regency was nearing its end. He hoped that Prokop would not begrudge him too deeply the difficult decisions he’d had to make over the past eleven years.

eu4_344a.png

eu4_344b.png

~~~​

The king’s fifteenth birthday, the twenty-fourth of January, arrived.

The horses and carriages carrying the fifteen-year-old king, still carrying a bit of a paunch from the riches of the Christmas feast just past, and his entourage, all arrived in Velehrad amidst the wet snow lining the cobbled roads, and they processed up the street to the cathedral, where Moravian kings had received their blessings and symbols of office for six hundred years.

Prokop posmrtný, the great-grandson of Kráľ Róbert, the grandson of Kráľ Vojtech 4., and the son of Bohodar Rychnovský whose sad fate it was never to enter this sacred hall upon this purpose… entered the nave of the Cathedral and stood where he was directed, as the Archbishop of Moravia wafted his censer in a great ring around the icon-lined walls.

The fifteen-year-old boy felt the eyes of thousands upon thousands of saints upon him, the eyes of Christ the Judge of All, the eyes of His All-Holy Mother, as once again he received the ancient Robe of Radomír upon his shoulders, and the sceptre and orb of the Moravian nation into his smooth, soft hands—still so much like a child’s—from those of Boleslav Stibor, as the Archbishop spoke the Litany of the People and the prayers of blessing. As the man entrusted with the rule of the Moravian realm, the King received the Body and Blood of Christ within the Chalice upon his lips, received the prosphora at the rear of the nave, and stood to the side as the Lord’s Supper was served to the rest of the gathered guests in the Church. In holy solemnity began the reign of Prokop posmrtný, and he prayed to God that he would be worthy of the realm which had been protected and vouchsafed to him by Bohodar letopisár, Kaloján chrabrý, and his great-grandfather Róbert.

eu4_348a.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good to see him coming into his own.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Nine
Cheers, @Idhrendur! And he's not done doing that...

NINE.
The Soirée
31 January 1484 – 17 October 1490

eu4_dance.png

The polite hubbub of the Great Hall subsided as the seventeen-year-old king slid out the servants’ door practically unnoticed, his hand holding a much-older one. The woman of the tight honey-gold bun to whom the hand belonged quietly closed the door behind her. Prokop paused in the flight he was leading, turned around, and leaned back toward his female companion to steal a kiss from her. The touch of their lips was brief, but it burned him, seared him, lit him up with a desire such as he’d never known before.

‘Wait,’ Helene Mosienková begged him. ‘Please…’

There was an urgent rustle of fabrics between them, punctuated by the sound of hot breaths and more kisses, becoming more and more passionate.

The former royal chambermaid’s voice, when it came, was a tormented whisper. ‘No… Prokop… I’m a virtuous woman. I’m not like… I don’t just…’

‘Helene, don’t be that way. You like me. You’ve liked me for a long time.’

‘I—I do like you, Prokop… but…’ Helene felt her reasoning slipping away from her in a drowning haze of desire. ‘But… I’m so much older than you…!’

‘That never stopped Eustach. Or Kaloján. Or my great-grandfather. Older blondes are… a historical weakness of the Rychnovský menfolk. It’s a weakness I think I share.’

eu4_349a.png

Damn this boy and his historical studies! thought Helene… briefly, before the tenderness of the young king’s cheeks, the sweet taste of his lips, and the ardent warmth of his smooth young hands beneath her petticoat threatened to subsume her reason entirely. This was absurd—! There was nearly a fifteen-year gap between them! She had tended him as an infant—! But all of these objections faded out in the sweet haze of physical desire. Helene could feel her resolve, her carefully-kept chambermaid’s honour, dissolving under that warm touch. Helene could already feel, and was savouring, Prokop’s hard young-manhood thrusting up against her most carefully-guarded spot, a hungry monster threatening to leap through his breeches. Her virgin purity wouldn’t last much longer if he kept this up!

Helene clasped the king’s face in her hands. ‘Prokop—I know you want me. Do you love me?’

Prokop looked back at her, his eyes blazing unguardedly. ‘I do love you, Helene Vladimirovná Mosienková. I love you from the depths of my heart. You were my grandmother’s woman right to the bitter end. And now I would have you—true, honest, loyal, wonderful you—be mine!’

She held his gaze for one long, hard moment, before she murmured: ‘Take me to the chapel. Please. I’m all yours, Prokop, all of me—but take me to the chapel first.’

Prokop kissed first one of her hands, then the other. ‘It shall be as my queen orders.’

~~~​

In truth, Helene Mosienková hadn’t planned on staying in Olomouc much longer after Prokop came of age. She had kept an eye on her grandson, to look out for his well-being as long as he was still under Boleslav Stibor’s thumb. And then, in January of 1484, with the king his own master and her mind at ease, she had returned with due honour to her hometown of Budějovice. She had discharged her final promise to the former Queen Predslava. It was broadly expected—a modest and upright virgin of twenty-nine years who had stood faithfully by the queen her whole adult life—that she would retire to a life of contemplation in a cloister nearby. But her stay at home hadn’t lasted long… and her life took this unexpected turn.

The new king had requested and required of his most prominent noble families that they begin attending lavish court events, paid for from the state treasury. Expensive as such events were, there was something highly tactical in them—the most perspicacious of the notable noble families were able to tell that Kráľ Prokop was attempting to head off any more potential Ján Zajič-style noble uprisings. Having the nobles (and their immediate families) spend more of their time in the capital was an effective way to decrease their opportunities to plot and scheme from their own manors. There was more than a bit of steel gauntlet behind this particular velvet glove.

eu4_356a.png
eu4_353a.png

Also, 1484 had also been a very fine year for Moravia’s bowers: a mild winter, an early spring thaw, and a long and temperate summer with plenty of rain. The agricultural surplus had been significant. There was plenty to go around, and of course the royal taxmen had gotten a fat cut of it. The kitchens were busy, and the royal cooks were itching for guests upon whom to practise their gastronomical arts.

The daughter of Vladimir Mosienkov had, naturally, been curious enough about these new developments to find her gaze wending back toward Olomouc. When she arrived in Olomouc again, it was as a lady-courtier, at ease and free of attachments. And she had been welcomed back with enthusiasm by the king—in person.

It oughtn’t to have unsettled her as much as it did. She had known Prokop from a baby. She had watched him grow up under his caring grandmother’s eye. But the tall, gallant, sandy-haired youngster in his regal trappings, who had kissed her hand with such suave grace, had caused her heart to flutter in a way she’d never felt before toward a man. Suddenly she was adrift at sea without an anchor—a rather bad position to be in, the burgomaster’s daughter reflected ruefully, for a woman who had never so much as seen a seaworthy craft, let alone the open ocean.

Moravia did have a fleet… and it was stationed, for the moment, at Luleå—a port belonging to Moravia’s crown vassal-state of Julevädno. The rebels still held onto Biela Karélia, comfortably ensconced in their forested lakeside fastness, at present beyond the reach of Moravian arms. While in Olomouc, Helene did happen to overhear the young king in conference with several of his senior ministers, including his maršal and his kancelár, about what he planned to do about the situation.

‘Have the Ruthenians accepted our proposal?’ asked Prokop.

‘Lev 2. has already sent for your sister Anna,’ said the kancelár, whose name presently escaped Helene. ‘The two of them will be wed at the end of the month.’

‘A pity that Knyaginya Rostislava is no longer with us,’ Prokop shook his head sadly. ‘She was a great friend of great-grandfather’s. I’m sure we could have used her help here.’

eu4_360a.png
eu4_361a.png
eu4_362a.png

‘The Ruthenians have long been our friends,’ the new maršal noted dryly. ‘But their help won’t be nearly as necessary as Feodor Roslavský’s in Biela Rus’. The White Russians are the only friendly power in the neighbourhood with a usable port in the Baltic: Engurie. If we want to ferry any troops up to Julevädno, White Russian goodwill is every bit as necessary as Great Russian.’

‘And that only gets them as far as Luleå,’ Prokop sighed in frustration. Helene couldn’t help but notice that even though his sigh still sounded boyish, his mind was moving as intelligently and as decisively as any other man’s in that room. ‘If we’re going to end this rebellion, it sounds like we need to enter into talks, either with Garderike, or with the central Sámi tribes.’

eu4_376a.png
eu4_391a.png

‘Your former Regent already got us some headway on that front, my liege,’ said the kancelár again. ‘Siding with the Latin Central Sámi over the Orthodox Kildins didn’t earn him many friends… but it does put us in a position to call in a return favour from them.’

‘Thank God for Stibor,’ Prokop crossed himself. ‘Very well—send an envoy there, up from Julevädno.’

eu4_365a.png
eu4_366a.png

Helene didn’t catch any more of the conversation than that. But unbeknownst to the young king, he had thoroughly impressed his courtier with his confident handling of policy.

That had been before the soirée. The twenty-fifth of August, 1486. The night when Helene had been swept off her feet.

eu4_358a.png

If she had been in any doubt before about the king’s preference for her, the grand evening ball in the Great Hall at Olomouc Castle had put all of those doubts to rest. There had been any number of lovely eligible young ladies within the king’s reach, for him to dance with when the violins began to play. And every one of them would have been willing, given the boy’s beardless good looks and his ready tongue. But he had singled her—Helene Mosienková—out for the first dance. That might have been chalked up to familiarity. But then he asked her hand for the fourth dance, the fifth, the sixth and the seventh. He pressed his palm against hers and stepped with lively passion, and each time they met in the centre, his eyes met and held hers.

The violinists stopped for a break, and the king had gallantly brought her off the floor to a seat, and poured her a glass of fine wine from his own hands. He had asked after her father, expressed his desire to visit Budějovice. And then he had clasped her hands in his, and laid bare his heart to her. How could she not have gone with him after that? Love was as new and raw to her as it was to him, and she couldn’t deny how intensely she felt the burning.

And so it passed between them in the narrow corridor leading down to the kitchens—with furtive kisses that grew ever more intense and passionate, with bodies drawn closer and warmer, dangerously close to the intimate dance of man and woman, that ancient dance of Adam with Eve, bone of bone and flesh of flesh. And so it passed that hand-in-hand they ran to the castle chapel together, to marry—as the Apostle Paul had advised—rather than burn. The hasty and simple private vows they took before the chapel rector that night, had to be fig-leafed over with the appropriate public ceremonies in the coming months. But Helene Mosienková was well and truly Prokop Rychnovský’s wife and queen now, in every sense that mattered.

~~~​

In late April 1487, eight months after their wedding night, Queen Helene joined her husband in his study. Prokop reached a fond hand back to her as she slid toward him, her belly immense and nearing a perfect fullness as her due date drew near. She took his hand warmly, and her handsome square face glanced down at what Prokop was studying. It was a military chart of the Baltic, and there were figurines of ships and men stationed upon it.

‘Is it about to happen?’ asked his wife.

‘With God’s blessing,’ Prokop breathed, crossing himself. ‘And Lev Khovanský’s. And Feodor Roslavský’s. And Fredrik Gautske-Gauldal’s. The fleet has returned to Luleå with the troops they picked up from Engurie. By now, Ruslav ze Švamberka ought to be closing the distance to Lake Tuoppajärvi. We won’t hear word from them for another two months at least. But if all of these dominoes manage to topple, each the right way, the rebellion in Biela Karélia will soon be over. The north will be at peace again.’

eu4_371a.png
eu4_372a.png

‘And it took all of these treaties for military access and fleet basing rights to pull off?’ asked Helene.

‘Sad to say,’ Prokop frowned at the map. ‘Sometimes I feel like Biela Karélia is more trouble than it’s worth to keep. But I see no way to rid myself of it, not without dispossessing a number of my cousins and throwing the fate of Sápmi into confusion. I don’t want to hand to our child a realm in chaos.’

Helene drew the hand of the man who loved her, up toward her belly, and held it there.

‘I believe in you.’

Prokop smiled up at his wife with sincere gratitude.

‘I’m happy.’

‘I know how the court whispers about us,’ Helene ran a fond hand through her husband’s hair. ‘You only just a man, and a woman nearly old enough to be your mother bearing your children. But soon they will see what I see. You are very much so a man: a firm and vigorous king. And you will leave to our child an easy rule. I am sure of it.’

eu4_374a.png

By the time the news of Ruslav ze Švamberka’s triumph, and the rebels’ surrender, reached Olomouc, Helene had already given birth. Little Jozef Rychnovský had come into the world on the twenty-first of May, 1487—and his birth was marked by portents of God’s blessing upon Moravia, both large and small, of which the successful quelling of the Karelian rebellion was but the first.

The agricultural bumper year of 1484 hadn’t been merely a fluke. Bowers in several villages in the Morava valley had reinvested the surplus of that year into new equipment and new techniques—as indeed had the miners in Čáslav. Full bellies and easy times evidently led to greater comfort with experimentation. And of course the Crown had reaped the benefits over the following years. Prokop used the windfall to pay off the last of his old Regent’s outstanding loans, and utilised the increased numbers of musketeers to experiment with new military tactics. The Moravian realm was flourishing and rich in those first years of Prokop’s rule—and whatever whispers might have circled around the court from his marrying his grandmother’s old chambermaid, they were largely put to rest by these clear marks of God’s favour upon his government.

eu4_385a.png
eu4_377a.png

eu4_392a.png
eu4_386a.png

eu4_396a.png

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Ten
@Von Acturus: Quite so! Prokop's a rather decisive sort--one might almost say brash. Unfortunately he also has a bit of a tendency to run his mouth. Again, my apologies for not showing that in gameplay: I'm using the RoM DLC in a rather heterodox way.

TEN.
The Ivan Žerotínov Act
17 October 1490 – 26 October 1493

‘Milord,’ the maršal Bedřich Pospisil got the king’s attention, ‘we need to discuss the situation on the western march. We can’t simply allow the tensions between the Bavarians and the Nordgauers to continue to build while the East Franks keep breathing down our necks!’

Prokop considered, and then shrugged. ‘I’m afraid there isn’t much to discuss, let alone to do. Bayern and Nordgau have been at each other’s throats for decades now, since Nordgau’s bid for independence. If we intervene, the East Franks will see it and use it as proof that we are indeed meddling in the affairs of the Germanic peoples.’

‘And if we do nothing,’ Pospisil intimated darkly, ‘then it will be the fate of our Orthodox brethren in the west to be swallowed up by the Latin powers. Would you have that on your conscience? Already Drážďany has fallen into their clutches, and the Orthodox faithful in Milčané suffer persecution.’

Prokop turned and clasped Pospisil by the shoulders. ‘I know that. But the Lord says to possess our souls in patience. I turn to His wisdom. At times we must abide injustices, even cruel injustices, with the forbearance of Job. I have not forgotten Drážďany. And I am not indifferent to the strife between Bayern and Nordgau. But while we are still so heavily dependent on a carefully-built string of northeast alliances, so that we are not cut off from our own fleet, we simply can’t extend ourselves too far to the west.’

eu4_397a.png

Bedřich Pospisil checked his stride. ‘I understand, my liege.’

It was to the young Kráľ Prokop’s credit, and a testament to his native intelligence and understanding, that he did not allow himself to be easily swayed and blown about every which-way by his advisors. The king had learned, very early on, that the advisors who truly had the best interests of the realm at heart were few and far between. Even a man like Boleslav Stibor, who had served him so faithfully and for so long as Regent while he was only a child, had certain prejudices and weaknesses of temper which he occasionally allowed to surface, and which produced crises in the realm. The trick, the new king was quickly learning, was to understand his advisors’ weaknesses, and then to ‘overlook’ them until they became a problem. The rest could be handled with a sympathetic ear and a careful tongue.

With regard to the fleet, there was considerable impetus to encourage the building of a shipyard in Luleå, now that there was enough talent and manpower to make it possible. But to Prokop, the fleet still felt like… well, a temperamental kite tethered to him only by the barest strand of twine. If he didn’t keep a firm hold of his alliances with the Khovanských in Great Ruthenia and the Oskyldrs in White Rus’, the winds of fate would pick up that fleet and blow the whole thing off-course!

eu4_402a.png

~~~​

Môj milý—are you working on those Northeastern Initiatives again?’ asked Helene one night—her belly now swollen with their third child. ‘Would you like any help with them?’

Prokop ran a hand through his sandy hair and chuckled bleakly. ‘You know, I could use all the help I can get,’ he owned. ‘This web of alliances we’ve built with Great Rus’ and White Rus’, as well as the more tenuous one with Sápmi up north—it’s putting rather a strain on our diplomatic corps.’

‘And why is that a problem?’ asked Helene, massaging her husband’s shoulders. ‘I haven’t yet met the foreign dignitary you couldn’t outtalk and outcharm.’

Prokop grimaced. ‘In the ballroom? Perhaps, Helene, perhaps. But Moravia doesn’t need yet another diplomat wearing a crown right now—what Moravia needs is organisation, and that’s… something I’ve never been particularly good at.’

‘As anyone who’s seen the inside of your wardrobe might attest! Mind if I have a look?’ asked his queen. ‘One never knows when the experience of an old chambermaid might come in handy.’

That much turned out to be true. Helene at once sorted the various paperwork and various orders into their proper piles, and moreover figured out another way to delegate the diplomatic missions to the northeast.

eu4_406b.png

‘You ought to have leaned a bit more on your grandmother’s old contacts, as well as your mother’s,’ said Helene knowingly. ‘I should hardly have to remind a king who’s half-Belarusian, but you have plenty of uncles and aunts inside White Rus’. I know it’s not the “done thing” anymore to appeal to the family honour in order to accomplish your goals, but in this case I think you could ease the burden on the Olomouc end by calling in a couple of favours.’

‘Do you think so?’ Prokop glowed. ‘You’re a lifesaver, Helene, moja láska! I knew I made the right decision, marrying you!’

‘Oh, stop,’ a slight smile crossed the handsome square face of the queen.

His wife’s deft hands, however, had made it far easier for Prokop to imagine some potential new avenues to pursue in his Northeastern Initiatives. Placing more emphasis on the organisation of the diplomatic corps would make Moravia’s position a good deal more secure. He might have to look into the possibility of calling on his extended family in White Rus’, and seeing if any of them might be willing to undertake certain ambassadorial duties on Moravia’s behalf.

eu4_406a.png

~~~​

On the domestic front, too, Prokop felt the weight of a long injustice that needed to be redressed. He had been preparing for precisely this moment since his accession to the throne. With the help of his valet he adjusted his mantle, and then strode out into the bailey of Olomouc Castle. It was the fifth of December in the Year of the World 7002. He gave the following speech:

‘Fellow Moravians—We greet you on this December day, upon which we are beginning our journey in the light fast of Advent, and looking forward to the Nativity of Our Lord. The first men to recognise the Lord, the Word of God in human flesh, were, so Holy Writ tells us, the wise men of the East and the poor shepherds around Bethlehem who were tending their flocks by night.

‘We Moravians have enjoyed prosperity without bounds in these past years. In the wake of this autumn we have reaped another year’s bounty and stored it for the winter. It has been a long time since We have had dearth. And yet We have brothers and sisters… shepherds like those whom the angels visited upon the Nativity… within our lands, who have not always been so fortunate.

‘Yes. We speak of the Russians who live within Our borders. Moravia has been a safe haven for persecuted peoples ever since our first King Bohodar. And ever since the mistress of Podkarpatská, Čestislava Pavelková, first swore fealty to Eustach the Church-Builder in 6541, the Russians of Podkarpatská have lived and died within our kingdom and sworn to serve God and the Crown. For four hundred and sixty years, the Rus’ have contributed their blood and their labour to our great kingdom—alongside Moravians, Bohemians, Silesians and Nitrans.

‘For all that time, men and women of Carpatho-Russian extraction have rendered great services to the Moravian state—including most prominently the noble Pavelkov and Koceľuk families. Knieža Grigorii Rostislavič Koceľuk fought valiantly in the Adamite Wars, and he made an honourable mark upon our kingdom as kancelár for the mighty Kráľ Kaloján. Kňažná Praksida Koceľová was, contrary to the limitations of her sex, a maršalka of the most formidable calibre for my ancestor Radomír 4., and her sister, my ancestress Kráľovná Ekaterína, was his loyal and affectionate consort.

‘Which brings Us, today, to our departed Esaul Ivan Olegovič Žerotínov.

‘Ivan Olegovič, a native of Snina, was the son of poor bowers in the hard Carpathian polonina. The Žerotínovcov had little wealth: but they had their honour, they had their neighbours, and they had each other. It was a long tradition for the Žerotínovcov to send their sons with their wood-axes and makeshift armour into the service of the Koceľukovci, and were as loyal to the Koceľuk banner as the Koceľukovci were to Moravia’s. Ivan’s father Oleg was among the zbrojnošov of Podkarpatská who fought in Syria, Mesopotamia and Armenia during the Thessaly Wars.

‘Ivan himself, however, came up the ranks the hard way. In his youth, rather than rallying to the Koceľuk standard, he absconded himself and joined a band of opriški in the south. Do not be so quick to blame those who turn to banditry! We here in Olomouc cannot hope to judge them. We cannot know the chaos and the injustices faced by the Russians who lived along that Carpathian borderland, in a state which saw seven Emperors overthrown within as many years. Even those on our Moravian side often faced the terror of rogue nobles who extorted food, plunder and women from the villages of Podkarpatská. In a lawless state such as that—who can blame a boy like Ivan for taking up his axe and turning to banditry in defence of his friends?

‘Ivan grew up considering himself more Carpathian than Moravian: this much is true. It is true, in fact, for many of the Russians who live in that land, and whose loyalties are torn by the four directions: between the Galicians to the north and the Carpathian Empire to their south; between the Great Rus’ to their east, and we Moravians to their west. Long have they said of themselves that they have no friends but the mountains. Ivan spent his youthful years together with the opriški fighting the injustice and plunder of the Carpathian nobles, as well as the encroachments of the Galicians with their lies and false promises. His family claims he even briefly joined a band of Cossacks from Great Rus’. He left Moravia as a young boy, and returned—though for that long Moravia had been at peace—as a seasoned fighter in the asymmetric warfare of the Carpathian foothills.

‘He eagerly joined Moravia’s war against Galicia, and some might say that his ferocity in battle and his zeal in our cause were doubled, having seen the depredations upon his people by those Galicians who claimed amity and friendship with them. And coming out of that war a veteran, he climbed the ranks to become a preškapitán. He was an expert in training new recruits, and his experience in the improvised warfare of the Carpathian border made him uniquely suited to studying and adapting new technologies. His keen mind was able to grasp the battlefield dynamics and subtleties of gunpowder and shot, and its impact upon armour. He continued his services to the Moravian state, improving our military and adapting new tactics as long as he was alive. The reason Moravia has an up-to-date army these days, is due in no small part to the efforts of Ivan Žerotínov.

‘But it is to Our shame, that the Moravians have not always appreciated the Russians’ contributions to Our realm, as substantial as they are. Indeed, even Ivan Olegovič himself came under suspicion for his Carpathian ties during our late war with that Empire. He was very nearly taken for a traitor. But he called in his favours with his fellow opriški, and provided the Moravian crown with a line of intelligence that led us to a swifter victory, and likely saved many of our young men from death.

‘Come forth, Paraskeva Ivanovná Žerotínová! Accept, from Our hands, this honour for your noble father’s many and selfless services to Our realm: the Order of Saint Adalbert, deserved many times over and far too long unjustly delayed.’

With this, a slender, narrow-faced woman of middle years stepped forward out of the assemblage in the bailey, and approached the young King. There were tears of gratitude and happy remembrance in her eyes, and with a watery smile she lowered her neck before him and received around her neck the heavy gold medal and the ribbon of Saint Adalbert which should have been given to her father many years ago. She stepped gravely several steps back into the crowd as the King continued his address.

eu4_407a.png

‘In light of this history, We find it utterly intolerable that many of us still continue to regard the Carpatho-Russians as lesser subjects, when in fact they have proven by their bravery and loyalty to the realm that they are worthy of Our consideration as a people with the full rights and privileges enjoyed by Moravians, Silesians, Bohemians and Nitrans. We propose, with this bill presented to the Zhromaždenie in the name of Ivan Žerotínov: that a philological commission be assembled for the study and standardisation of the Rusiňsk language; that all Crown documents shall be published and promulgated in this speech as well as in the Slovak and Czech languages; that parochial schools in Podkarpatská shall provide instruction for Carpatho-Russian youth in their own language; and that appointments to military and civil service posts shall be made without prejudice or distinction to place of origin within the borders of the Our realm!’

The Ivan Žerotínov Act passed the Stavovské Zhromaždenie two weeks afterward. The vote was not unanimous—indeed, it was far closer than Kráľ Prokop would have liked, and it took a great deal more bargaining and favour-exchanging than he first thought it might. But at last, the Carpatho-Russian people were on an equal footing with the other members of the Moravian realm.

eu4_408a.png

~~~

eu4_408b.png
eu4_409a.png
eu4_410a.png

Unfortunately, the Kráľ didn’t have to deal only with a reticent Zhromaždenie. He had to deal with the fact that Bayern had once again declared war upon Nordgau just on the western border—Germans were warring upon Germans once again, and the East Frankish king licking his chops the whole time. And he also had to deal with another pretender’s uprising—this time, it was the old Regent’s nephew Cyril Stibor, whose main estate was in Spiš. The elderly Boleslav did not support his nephew’s uprising—indeed, he sent his own zbrojnošov to Olomouc to aid the king in putting Cyril’s rebellion down.

Once again the Moravian army was called up from Olomouc and Bratislava, and the division led by Kaloján z Boskovic once again took the foremost position. Unfortunately, Boskovic had to make his assault across the Váh, placing him in a squeeze. Cyril Stibor had the benefit of position for his troops, and used it. Once again the time-honoured tactic of catching the opposing army in a pincer with reinforcements coming in on the flank proved to be a costly one: nearly a third of Boskovic’s troops were killed or fled—and it was left to the reinforcements from Bratislava to demolish the remainder late in February of 7002 by the old calendar, 1493 by the Western one.

eu4_413a.png

eu4_415a.png
eu4_416a.png

When Cyril Stibor was brought back to Olomouc in irons, Kráľ Prokop was briefly tempted to have him destroyed by the same excruciating methods that Ján Zajič had been. However—particularly after pleas for clemency not only from the Church but also from Cyril’s uncle—Prokop was moved to commute the rebel’s sentence to mere imprisonment. In truth, although Prokop was bold and energetic of personality, he wasn’t resentful, nor was he even particularly vicious. He found that he didn’t quite have the heart to put to death a man who was wholly within his power and at his mercy.

It was at the beginning of the following year when the Veliky Knyaz Lev 2. of Great Rus’ once again called upon the Moravians for their martial aid. This time, Rus’ was under attack from within. They were facing an uprising centred on the town of Černigov, but which involved provinces scattered throughout the Ruthenian kingdom. Moreover, it was soon clear that Černigov was not acting on its own initiative, but was being supported by the Carpathian Empire as well as by Thessaly. Prokop was honour-bound to join, not only on behalf of a faithful ally, but also on account of his Northeast Initiatives which had been so carefully placed.

eu4_417a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Act I Chapter Eleven
ELEVEN.
Detvansk‎ý and Khovanský (Again)
1 November 1493 – 14 February 1498

Kráľ Prokop was an astute enough commander to see to it that the third Ruthenian-Carpathian War was all but resolved within the first few months, though unfortunately the war would drag out for over four years after that. Bedřich Pospisil understood that the Carpathian armies were numerous, but that they were only as good, ultimately, as their commander—and so he advised the king (against the king’s rather forthright nature) to play an elaborate game of cat-and-mouse across the Štúrovo Bridge.

The first task: to take an easy enemy target with their cavalry. Then: to allow the cavalry to be taken—in order to move the opposing army into a vulnerable position. And finally: to move in with the main army and isolate and capture the Carpathian commander. Prokop executed everything as Pospisil told him to, and was able to draw out the Carpathian general Vasil Nahimov over the course of three engagements. By making a quick sortie against his artillery and then falling back from the resulting cavalry charge, at last Boskovic moved in with the Army of Bratislava. Boskovic captured Nahimov at that battle, and had him sent back to Olomouc to cool his heels for the rest of the war.

eu4_418a.png

eu4_419a.png

eu4_420a.png

From that point, the Moravian armies began methodically, progressively occupying Carpathian territories from west to east, beginning with the Viedenský Les and moving across Pannonia to Pest. Kráľ Prokop, clearly taking after his ancestor Róbert, rode out himself at the head of the Army of Olomouc, and personally oversaw the siege of Pest. Pest fell on Christmas Eve of the year 7004 (1494 in the Western reckoning), after just under a year of siege, and the entire western half of Carpathia fell with it.

Such is the nature of war, however, that setbacks, reversals of fortune and disasters can occur without warning, upsetting even the most careful of plans.

eu4_431a.png
eu4_434a.png

It was well into the springtime after the siege of Pest, that Prokop received a message from Bratislava that peasants from Austria had come pouring across the border and had begun laying siege to the town. The Kráľ had not been anticipating such a rearguard action, but Bratislava was a strategically important town and he couldn’t risk losing it as a bridge between the western and southern fronts of the war.

The delay, however, was costly. Although the Moravians were now free to lay siege to Békés and Bihar, which they did as soon as they were able, the King, as key general, was busy handling actions against popular uprisings originating in Austria which threatened to unravel what gains they had made. And the Mediterranean and Black Sea allies of Carpathia didn’t have the capacity to hold out for long wars of attrition the way that Moravia did. Time was not something that the Moravians had in abundance.

~~~
‘Another one of those!’ cried the Queen in affront as she saw what Father Vyebor z Kunštátu was holding. ‘I hope you’re about to chuck it into the fire. I can’t believe those things are still being spread around.’

Vyšebor lifted the pamphlet he was holding and blew out a bemused breath. ‘Well, I can’t say as I agree with the contents. Unfortunately, apart from chucking them one by one there isn’t much we can do.’

‘What can you be speaking of?’ Queen Helene asked, with a quaver of affront in her voice. ‘What do you mean, that the Church cannot step in? These pamphlets are—I tell you, these ideas, they’re obscene—!’

‘I know,’ sighed Father Vyšebor. ‘I feel the same way you do, but there is only so much that the Church can do to confront these… “free-thinkers”. This war between Orthodox brother-nations—between Ruthenia and Carpathia—has severely undermined our authority. The King’s recent decision to place lay clerks in the metropolitan offices, and some rather… indiscreet finical decisions made by the bishops… have both rather added to the crisis of confidence. We are still the Body of Christ, but…’

eu4_422a.png
eu4_440a.png

eu4_442a.png

Helene sighed, placing one hand on her forehead in exasperation. ‘Well. I was not a supporter of my husband’s decision about the lay clerks, I hope you understand.’

‘Your Majesty is rightly guided,’ Father Vyšebor bowed.

Helene changed the subject. ‘I hear you’re going to Bratislava—in fact, that’s the main reason why I sought you out. Have you received any orders yet from the kancelár?’

‘Not yet,’ said Vyšebor, ‘but to tell you the truth, it is only a matter of time.’

‘Where do you expect you’re bound from there?’ asked the queen.

‘Haven’t the foggiest,’ Vyšebor shrugged. ‘I could well be headed for Pomerania to establish an alternate northward sea route… or equally so, I could be headed to Bavaria to negotiate the border disputes. Or possibly to Austria to bolster our espionage operations. One good thing about this expansion of the diplomatic corps is that it gives the state some options. And I hesitate to say it myself, as a son of the Church, but I do think we owe this new flexibility partly to the spread of these new ideas.’

eu4_451a.png
eu4_424a.png

‘God forbid,’ Helene crossed herself and shuddered.

‘It’s a trade-off,’ said the priest. Vyšebor z Kunštátu might be a clergyman, but he had a certain urbanity that well-suited his diplomatic career… and put the strait-laced Helene rather ill at ease. ‘Pretty much all of the smart young men coming up through the chancellery like to frequent the tea-houses here in the capital, and a solid majority of them have received a secular education through private tutoring.’

‘It would be better if they stuck to the faith that their fathers and mothers believed,’ Helene muttered.

Vyšebor gave an eloquent gesture.

Helene thrust a letter into the priest’s hands. ‘For my husband,’ she told him. ‘I know it’s hard to get an epistle to an army on the march, but it’ll be easier to send from where you’re going. Would you see that it gets to him?’

‘I will endeavor my best,’ the priest answered her.

~~~
Prokop shook his head and chuckled as he read through the letter once more.

‘Milord?’ asked Bedřich Pospisil.

‘Oh, Helene tells me Jozef is making good progress in his studies, but that she wishes he would get out and play and run a bit more. Seems our eldest is a bit of a prevaricator—likes to get others to do chores so he doesn’t have to.’

‘A good king should know how to delegate,’ Pospisil inclined his head diplomatically.

‘She also says Jakub, Anna and little Magdaléna are all doing well, though Anna’s a bit of a fussy eater these days,’ Prokop scanned the letter. ‘She also wants me, when I return from the war, to do something about the tea-house pamphlets that are satirising the Church, since the Church itself won’t move to punish the pamphleteers.’

‘Your wife shouldn’t take such interest in state affairs,’ Bedřich shook his head.

‘She’s earned it,’ Prokop regarded the letter fondly. ‘Over and over. As well you know.’ It was a long-standing argument between king and maršal, one in which the king was not likely to be swayed—and the maršal knew it well, though it didn’t stop him from disapproving of the influence that Helene enjoyed in Prokop’s court.

‘O Kráľ,’ hailed the officer of the watch, ‘the advance scouts of the Austrian noble rebels have been spotted!’

‘Break camp,’ ordered the king, ‘and tell the men to gear up and get into the saddle. Roll the húfnice into position and load them!’

eu4_441a.png

Prokop carefully folded his wife’s letter and placed it next to his chest as he moved into position to oversee the preparations for battle. The camp was situated by Hardek, and had easy access to a promontory, where they had a tactical advantage over anyone approaching from the Thayatal. The disgruntled Austrian noble banners hove into view. The men at the húfnice looked toward the king, and he gave a stiff nod.

Thunder cracked on that clear day from the top of the Thayatal, and smoke rose into the sky from the mouths of the Moravian húfnice. Volleys of heavy Moravian lead and explosives rained down with deadly effect upon the Austrians. A downhill infantry charge from the camp, combined with the heavy artillery fire, wreaked havoc on the Austrian rebel cavalry, and sent their whole formation into confusion. Prokop left the field of battle that day victorious.

eu4_444a.png

The slow march eastward across the Birodalma continued, with Békés falling and then Bihar. Unfortunately, word reached Prokop that the Epirotes and the Pontic Greeks had accepted peace and agreed to pay fines, even cede certain territories to the Thessalians, rather than be overrun. However, the early gains that Prokop had made had given heart to the Ruthenians when it mattered most… and the Rus’ managed to score several fine victories against Thessaly and stave off an outright defeat.

The troops of Thessaly, under the command of Maurikios Argyros, landed in the Balkans and marched northward to meet the Moravians. The Thessalian army was in very nearly every way equal to the Moravian, with the same number of infantry and even more artillery. However, the Moravian zbrojnoši and riders did still have a small advantage—as a result, Prokop chose to make his stand in the plain between the two mountain ranges… close to the recently captured town of Békés.

With Kaloján z Boskovic commanding the Second Army and the Kráľ commanding the Third, the Moravian forces aligned themselves in a standard line on the battlefield, while Maurikios Argyros fielded his men in a deep column with the hope of driving through a weak spot in the Moravian line and dividing the Second Army from the Third. Unfortunately for Argyros, Kráľ Prokop understood his tactics at once he began fielding his men, and he sent his cavalry into action around either side.

eu4_463a.png

The men of Thessaly were quickly flanked by the Moravian horsemen. The wedge foundered on the Moravian line of pikes, and the Thessalian infantry were rendered sitting ducks for the húfnice and the lateral cavalry charges.

Argyros beat the retreat, and in the end the battle wasn’t too costly to the Thessalonians in terms of manpower. However, the defeat of Thessaly at the hands of Moravia was humiliating, and Carpathia had not been liberated as quickly as hoped, with Moravia still holding onto the vast majority of the Birodalma’s land.

eu4_464a.png

One thing which the battle at Békés had shown, was that the various divisions from the various regions of Moravia—the Silesian horsemen, for example, or the húfnice operators from Budějovice—had more than proven their mettle. In fact, the esprit de corps of the local divisions had been key to winning the battle, as the Silesians had made use of hand-signals rather than the standard vanes in the order of battle in order to coordinate their charges. With the Silesian and Czech cultures having been vindicated at Békés, just indeed as the Rus’ of Maramoroš had been vindicated with the Ivan Žerotínov Act, Moravia could indeed be said to be a country of many customs. And Prokop was more than happy to give those customs the recognition and respect they deserved.

The ancient rights and privileges and customs of Moravia Proper, as well, began to be a topic of discussion. The Jihlava Decrees of Bohodar letopisár, issued in the twelfth century, became a touchstone for this topic, as did the elder Zhromaždenie that was established under the same king. Of course, the overlordship of Moravia Proper was a prerogative of the kings of Great Moravia since the tenth century, but the Moravian patrimony did also have its own local flavour, and the people of the Morava Valley began to take a deeper pride in it.

eu4_466a.png
eu4_466c.png

eu4_466b.png

After the Battle of Békés, the war between Ruthenia and Carpathia ended with a Ruthenian victory. Černigov was again reduced to a state of vassalage with a much reduced sovereign territory, and Mozyř again became a crown territory of the Ruthenian Veliky Knyaz. No further concessions were extracted from the Birodalma, but it was once again greatly weakened, and it wouldn’t be long before Carpathia was again in the throes of a succession crisis.

eu4_488a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: