• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bocaj said:
I didn't go for Alexandria because I simply didn't have time to even glance in that direction. My first war against Milan turned into a full scale war that lasted more or less my entire reign.

Aragon and Castile have formed Spain by this stage (I assume it's a different way of handling their unification with AGCEEP), so Spain has all their normal holdings except for Granada which is owned by Naples.

I agree about the trading part. I don't usually start trading until AI minors are more or less annihilated. Your trading income may just cover your costs, but the fact aht you have to use liquid income to get it back in inflated income, means it really needs to be a decent amount more to justify the costs involved. Early trading usually doesn't give the returns necessary to make trading worthwhile (especially when there are so many nice lands needing your army's attention).

Sorry for not updating again. I have been 1. busy, and 2. lazy. I will try and finish it soon, but I have said that before. :eek:o

P.S. I have only DoWed a nation once in these 40 years. I am the victim of warmongering AI. I just so happen to have played EU2 for 3 years so I know all the tricks and can bend the AI to fit my plan, thus making it look like I am very aggressive. I'm really peaceful, despite what this AAR projects. :D Any EU2 MP player who's played with me will confirm that the Swiss avatar suits me.

Please finish those last 8 years. That can't be so hard can it?

Grundius said:
Please finish those last 8 years. That can't be so hard can it?

Second that...I am getting a bit anxious...

General Guisan said:
I'm going to marry now (wait.. in 57 minutes :D ) and from thursday we'll be on honeymoon, so don't count on me before christmas :)

Have a nice and relaxing christmas :cool:

Thanks and congratulations.

Bocaj said:
Sorry for not updating again. I have been 1. busy, and 2. lazy. I will try and finish it soon, but I have said that before. :eek:o
It's OK, I'm having the same problem. :p

The main issue with me is that playing my reign has been frustrating, so I need to take rather frequent breaks to regroup. Warmongering allies and a moderately high BB is basically forcing me to defend every front in a frantic and fruitless effort. As I said, though, I'm almost done, and hopefully I can get these wars under control for the next person before I hand over the save file.

The Grand Final!

Despite being at war with half of Europe, mid 1484 was a quiet period. Apart from an attack from the entire Spanish navy outside Albania on the Venetian’s main navy (which was beaten off after a 2 month battle with even numbers from each side), things were going quietly. The sieges in Naples and Apulia were enforced. In September, an automatic WP had been secured with Poland and its allies due to inactivity, the first triumph in what seemed to be a neverending conflict.

polandpeace.jpg

Another triumph came in October as France DoWed bad boy England (38.5/34bb), relieving that pressure from us. That still didn’t help with the 15k English in Ragusa, or the Hungarian hordes, or the Spanish alliance, but at lest it was something.

1485 saw Naples and Apulia being turned over to Venetian control, while evil hordes of Hungarians overran Steiermark, who promptly moved on to Istria. The Venetians thought a peace could be brokered with Naples. However after searching around, we discovered that they also held the former Moorish stronghold of Granada, which could be a definite problem, in the heart of Spanish territory and over months worth of water. It would have to be left for now, with the Pope still subjecting Rome, Marche and Siena to his sinister rule.

The start of 1486 saw the Pope extend his evil rule to the northern province of Emilia, right to the Po River. It would be a bittersweet victory for him, since in April his home province flew the Venetian flag! Take that!

romesecured.jpg

Despite the great victory it was, Papal and Spanish troops had flooded back into Naples in a pathetic attempt to free their evil ally from benevolent Venetian rule….

Luckily the Venetian provinces were only minimal forts, so forces were spread out in an attempt to bring Papal States into submission and knock out 12k there and then.

In August, Agostino Barbango ascended to the head of the council, and was an able vice-ruler, the best in 30 years. Surely this was a good omen. Also, upon hearing the good news, Tirol and Bavaria rallied to the cause, sieging Marche. This freed up an army, allowing for Venice to send a strike force south to Naples to annoy the Papal army, which was making much too good progress besieging the Venetian defences there.

It would prove a costly battle, with Venice losing over half of their army, but the Pope’s minions were no longer able to siege the fort, so mission accomplished! As well as this battle, in September 1486, Emilia was sieged back into Venetian hands.

By now, having been without control of their mainland for a year, Naples was getting desperate, offering 425 ducats and Apulia from their alliance to our alliance. Despite 30k Spanish in Apulia threatening, the Venetian council opted to decline, sighting that too much had been lost to settle for such small gains.

theirnaplesoffer.jpg

Not good enough!

December saw Marche being sieged by allies to Venetian control, Istria fall to 35k Hungarians, which ten seemed happy to sit in Steiermark, and France peace England taking Bretagne and Holland after crossing the Channel (England’s continental empire consisted of a number of provinces).

1486 ended up being the big turning point. The Pope was all but stripped of its holdings, while it was the first time I was really able to go on the offensive in central Italy.

Part 2!

The war weary Republic of Venice was bursting at the seams. The people were unhappy, the troops were low in number. Our victories on the Peninsula were increasing, but in other theatres, the Republic could do nothing more than watch helplessly.

Surveying the situation, I decided to offer England 100d to their alliance (England, an Irish minor, and Hungary), even though they had 17 war score. They accepted, glad to get out of the war as well by that stage. It was April 4, 1487.

On the 7th of April Siena was recaptured from the Pope, giving us full victory against them, who were promptly vassalised and given a stern warning not to do that again.

This still left 30k Spaniards camped outside Apulia, with 18k Venetians further up the Peninsula. Venice and allies had 38ws on the Naples alliance, but it was deemed that more could have been gotten from this war, so no peace was achieved, just quite yet at lest.

europe1487.jpg

Europe 1487, a fairly interesting place to be in.

Well, 18k Venetians would not be able to attack the Spaniards entrenched in the southern mountains of the peninsula, but they could board ships and break into sieging groups for the Spanish island of Sicily.

InvasionofSicily.jpg

The rest of 1487 would be quiet. Spanish troops were taking their time in Apulia, and Venetian troops were having some fun in Sicily. Another rebellion took place in Steiermark, and Venice itself was estimated to have a level 5 revolt risk.

In March 25, 1488, Venice captured Sicily province, and in May 10, 1488, Spain captured Apulia. The Spaniards moved on to Naples, and a small sieging army sneaked in from the south to allow both Messina and Apulia to be sieged at the same time.

The Spaniards were routed from Naples soon after, by our allies the Bavarians. Meanwhile rebels were tearing up the countryside in Istria, and Steiermark, which they captured soon after.

In 1489, We inherited the Cypriots, after shafting their queen in favour of the council. Their 35k was appreciated, and to be added to the Venetian 15k army to make a grand total of 50k, the largest army the Republic had commandeered most likely in its entire history.

Cyprus.jpg

With Italy secured, the Cypriots were sent to chill out in Sicily for a little while. A small group of specially picked suicidal Cypriots were then sent to the Iberian Peninsula, to wreak a little havoc and get a little gold in the process. No major invasion could be launched though, with Naples having 35k in Granada, and hundreds of thousands of Spain’s mindless minions peppered throughout the peninsula. Even getting troops that far would prove tricky though, with no chance of capturing Sardinia or the Balearics, and supply from Sicily not reaching that far for long.

It allowed me to attack a few new troops, and pillage a few provinces, and it wasn’t long before Spain offered this instead of only cash:

spanishpeace.jpg

Seems a good offer to me!

After much humming and haaaaing (and celebrating!), it was decided to accept the offer. The island of Sicily would come into the fold.

Apart from the rebels that instantly appeared with the onset of being ruled by benevolent fellow Italians, there was another problem caused by this peace. Naples no longer wanted to have much to do with Venice, hiding behind their 30k in the mountainous Granada. With Spain’s 30 WS no longer available for use, some other alternative would have to be considered.

Portugal seemed a good option. Its capital was rebel controlled, and only stationed a 15k army together with Navarra. Getting there would be a problem, with a good Portuguese navy and attrition. The Venetian galley navy retreated from the Straits of Gibraltar, sneaking westward instead of eastward, tricking the Portuguese and unloading the 15k troops in the Algarve, onto a do or die fight against the stationed army. Luckily it succeeded, routing the Iberians, while Venetian troops were sent north to smoother Lisbon and Oporto.

The next part was quiet, one of the first where there has been no conflict on the Italian peninsula. Lisbon was caught, and with it maps all around Africa were revealed. With Lisbon, enough WS was gained on Naples to make a demand:

Naplesoffer.jpg

Naplespeace.jpg

Finally, an end to this war! With good results too…

With an end to war after 30 wars, here are the fruits of Venice’s labour:

VenetianItaly.jpg

Not bad.

A Time for Peace and Prosperity (Mainly)

30 years of war had left Venice both rich and powerful, but with much to be desired still. Religious disunity is rife. The army is just as small as in 1454, only with a lot worse international image. The lands were weary of war. But at lest tech was heading for a cure to inflation problems left from the first government.

Venice’s expansion wasn’t over in peace though, diploannexing Tuscany in 1495. In hindsight I’m not entirely sure I should’ve done that, it ruined my relations with a number of nations including my allies who were helping me immensely, but Tuscany is just about the best province in Italy.

Then in 1497, France declared war on our ally Savoy. We had a 5441 leader but less than 5k to command him. But we accepted our alliance duties nevertheless, raising more troops and then sitting tight around the Po river valley.

France didn’t get a lot more done, but I left the Venetian army fairly small due to lack of funds. However the leader could cause a lot of damage if used right.

How Europe looked in 1499:

europe1499.jpg

Final Thoughts

Venice was really good to play. Despite starting with very little in way of money or troops in 1454 (and a good deal of inflation, sorry grundius! :eek:), after getting the ball rolling, Venice was a war machine that ate all of Italy south of the Po. I would’ve ultimately liked to take out Milan and Genoa, and finish Italy off, but I ran out of time in the end with my bb wars. Another reason I never went for Genoa also was because it was a vassal of Savoy, so not so straightforward as the Central Italian nations.

It’s great to do this with different people in each period, and see different styles of play coming through. I’m only sorry that my conquest of Italy now has meant things might have to be taken a little bit more cautiously in the future, but at lest Venice has a decent economic and military base to launch any further campaigns from now. I believe that to be worth the 10 or so bb I absorbed in the process.

I’d say if there were any advise to give to future players, it’d be to not discount their allies. For me that was Bavaria and Savoy (and Tirol until they were annexed). Without their help I would’ve handed over a very small Venice to Pellucid. I wish him luck, and to whoever plays after him.

As for me, I think I will fancy myself Bocaj (1459-1499), Second King of Venice and Subduer of Italy. :D

One has to admit you turned this into your favor, it wasn´t looking good there for a moment, but it ended nice. Its always hard to get the ball rolling on a Venice, low MP and high cost army-units, but things seem to be looking good right now. The most impressive though as far as I´m concerned is the sacking of Tago. You pretty much clinically dispatched of your enemies.

Its good to see that this is going ahead after a small delay, one of the more interesting AAR´s going on. Good luck guys.

You sure did a lot better than me. In my defense, I had quite some problems with allies declaring war and peace at unfortunate times :D . I did not realize I left you with so much inflation - I usually keep a sharp eye on it.

Grundius said:
You sure did a lot better than me. In my defense, I had quite some problems with allies declaring war and peace at unfortunate times :D

*cough*Bavaria/Tirol*cough*

;)