• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Semi-Lobster

Tàishǒu of Rìnán Commandery
47 Badges
Nov 13, 2003
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
The Sword of Dacia

The Hunt

Chapter I

cozia03.jpg

Mircea cel Bătrân and his son Mihail I

The dead leaves melted away into the earth underneath the hooves of the young stallion that wandered through a clearings, thickets and brush. On the horse sat a decisive and dashing looking man, not interested as in the hunt as he should have been, but rather, lost in though, his horse trudged on slowly, sensing the insecurities of his rider. Mihail then slowly turned his horse around; it’s head hanging low and weary, an odd sight for usually such a proud horse.
“We will not catch anything today Octavian, I think we should turn back, the night is coming and we’ve not the provisions to stay out any longer.” said Mihail to the man, also on horseback, behind him.
“Indeed sir, maybe some other day”
“No… no, I think this maybe my last hunt for a while, we are going to return to Târgovişte, there are much more important things right now then a few deer”
Octavian chortled,
“Deer, Turk, they’ll all end up the same in the end, dead on a mantle piece”,
Mihail did not respond, not with a laugh of his own or any sign of disapprovement as he was already heading back west towards Târgovişte, leaving his companion slightly bewildered behind him.

The two horsemen galloped along, across the scenic forests of Wallachia, with the orange setting sun casting brilliant, dancing, shadows through the trees of the slumbering forest.

The two finely dressed riders, had rather different backgrounds, Mihail was of the house of Basarb, and prince of the Ţara Românească, or as most outsiders called it, Wallachia. He had already proven himself in battle against the Turk several times, saving his small corner of Christendom multiple times already from the ravenous scourge of the East. He was the descendant of the great Basarb I Întemeietorul, (the founder) who had defeated Charles I of Hungary and secured the independence of Wallachia. Octavian on the other hand was a boier from the small Călăraşi, a small horse trading posts between Bucureşti and Constantinopol. He was a shrewd young man, not from a particularly wealthy, but still affluent enough, it was believed that Octavian’s family where originally bakers for the royal court and had earned the nickname ‘cel Brutar’ for this rather then any sort of skill in the kitchen. Although he admitted, he did enjoy making bread on occasions

These two, son of a hero and son of a baker rode off into the East, not just towards Târgovişte but to glory and into history.

Last edited:
It's good to be back writing AAR's! :D I'm playing as Wallachia (and being helped immensely by by Alexandru H.). All names and places will be in the Romanian spelling, so Constantinople as you see becomes Constantinopol. Well enjoy! Hopefully I can make it through this one! :D

If you need help with the names, locations, just ask!

Good start but as always, with all the Wallachian stories that try to follow the dinastical tables, I want to see how you'll manage to insert the ruling madness into your AAR equation.. hope you'll make it :)

Ah, great to see you back writing myself, Semi-Lobster. Now how the hell did you manage to dig up an old so-and-so like Alexandru H.? :p :D

Good luck on the AAR. I'll be reading.

coz1 said:
Ah, great to see you back writing myself, Semi-Lobster. Now how the hell did you manage to dig up an old so-and-so like Alexandru H.? :p :D

Good luck on the AAR. I'll be reading.

Hey you're older then he is Coz1 ;) And thanks for your support! :)

Welcome back, Semi-Lobster! Here's your cake and punch!

Wow, everyone who has posted in this thread so far has between 3500 and 4000 posts to their name. Creepy. :eek:

Good to see you again, coz1... Quite a few things happened since we've last met.... :D ...

Hi Alexandru - good to see you are still kicking around. And an intriguing start Semi-Lobster. Seemingly innocuous, just a failed deer-hunt. I like starts like that.

Riding off into history. Let's see what that history (or for them, future) entails. Good luck.

The Sword of Dacia

The Baker and the Gypsy

Chapter II

max316.jpg

Jan Žižka

September 10st, 1419

“Sir, it is morning. Please wake up. The sun has risen hours ago”, said a rather meek looking woman. She tugged at Octavian’s blanket once again.
He did not respond but rather rolled over and mumbled.
Today though Voica was more insistent that “cel Brutar” wake up on time, after all, he asked the night before to be woken up earlier. He had a meeting with Logofat Serban to attend after all. She then started prodding him, jabbing him with a pole of a broomstick. He finally groaned,
“For God’s sakes I’m awake Voica”, he threw off his blanket and promptly fell out his bed onto the floor.

Octavian had only one servant to his name, a young woman named Voica whose only task it seem was to organise all of the young boiers papers and books. His father, Ionascu, had been a proficient gambler, the only problem was that he was not a proficient winner and often came back with less money then he set out with. This had left Octavian with some rather substantial debts and young Octavian had to sell some of his land and fire most of his servants so he would be free of his father’s costly deathbed gift. Voica had no idea how he could afford such expensive novelties such as books and manuscripts. When she would occasionally ask how he was able to afford such expensive things (as the printing press wasn’t invented in Europe until 1455) he merely stated he had friends in high places. His books where mostly religious texts of course, since there was little in the way of secular texts available at the time; but there where a few notable books in his possession in Latin, such as the Chronicle of the Priest of Duklja, Gesta Francorum, De Administrando Imperio and the Chanson d'Antioche which he had once tried to recite while on his way back to Călăraşi from Târgovişte. His singing was so dreadful that he had scared his horse, which bucked him off his saddle and fled into the woods.

In Târgovişte Octavian and Voica often stayed at the house of Radu, a cousin of Octavian, from his mother’s side and a noted horse trader. Radu once joked his unfortunate cousin was the poorest Boier in Europe (which was most likely true), and it would do him some good for him to develop his estate rather then bury his nose in books but of course Octavian would note that his cousin should focus on horse trading rather then trying to seduce the wives of his clients.

Two hours late, Octavian entered the recently built Curtea Domnească. It was such a new and stunning building, it seemed to represent all the hopes of a nation still invigorated by their stunning victories over the Turk. Octavian had been summoned by Logofat (chancellor) Serban, because he was the most trustworthy and learned native Rumâni currently available. Logofat Serban was a fat man, more then twice the width of Octavian. He had a dark complexion, with wild dark hair, which was why he reputed to have gypsy blood in him. Serban himself never commented on the matter. Serban had summoned the young Boier because Octavian had studied in Florenţa (Florence), one of the most richest and powerful of the Italian city-states and bustling hub of commerce from all around the Mediterană (Mediterranean), this is here where he acquired Latin and to some degree Italian. The experience was personally an awakening for Octavian, it revealed to him a world beyond the Dunăre (Danube) full of history and possibilities. Beyond the constant wars with the encroaching Turk and the untrustworthy Magyar, in Florenţa he found art, mathematics, architecture and most importantly history. Octavian had become obsessed with the great epics of the ancient Romans. He read all the works of Virgil, Cicero, Tacitus, and Plutarch. He had also become enamored with the glories of Traian (Trajan) and during his visit to Roma he gawked at the magnificent Columna lui Traian (Trajan’s Column) where a statue of mighty Traian himself stood (in 1588 the statue of Trajan would be replaced by a statue of St. Peter by pope Sixtus V). In fact Octavian (or Ottaviano, as the Italian called him) had returned to Wallachia only a few years ago after spend most of his life abroad. This highly unusual (not to mention expensive) education made him an extremely notable figure in the court of the recently deceased Prince Mircea cel Bătrân and in the court of Mihail I. While at best, most could afford to send their sons to Hungary or Croatia, Octavian some how had gone to what was more or less, one of the centres of Christendom (the others being Ierusalim and Constantinopol. Infact some chided Octavian that his money would have better spent on pilgrimage to the Holy Land but he reminded them that the money was for education and not really his to spend as his late father had sent him to Italia).

Serban “cel Ţiganul” had wanted to discuss recent events to the West. Civil order in the Kingdom of Bohemia had been literally, thrown out the window as mobs of Hussites had taken Prague and southern Boemia (Bohemia). Led by the brilliant one-eyed general, Jan Žižka, he and and his followers had begun a campaign not just against the alliance of Boemia, Austria and Ungaria (Hungary) but with the Roman Catholic Church. Central Europe had exploded in a flurry of sectarian warfare. With this and Ungaria already being at war with Veneţia, and the Turks fighting amongst themselves it seemed impossible for Wallachia to not get somehow involved. These events spiralled around Eastern Europe like a cold wind had blown down from the Alps and it seemed the stage was set for Wallachia to make her move.

Last edited:
So Octavian has a bad voice, eh? That was a funny line.

Does Wallachia have any allies at present? I wonder where you plan on getting involved so soon. Surely not the Turk. But it will be good to have an advisor like Octavian around given his knowledge of the world around them. His friends may scoff, but he will come out ahead.

So this Octavian is bookish, and something of a stranger in his own land. In otherwords, a most dangerous man. I can only assume that Wallachia’s move will involve a certain amount of applied violence. I mean, it is Wallachia after all.

Moldavia is allied with Wallachia at the start of the game. The problem is that Wallachia is a one-province minor and needs to obtain a second province ASAP. There are two possible routes: Siebenburgen (but Hungary and Austria will prove dangerous) and Bulgaria (a war with the Ottomans, but eh, everyone with his own destiny)...

No, I don't want to be cruel with the poor Wallachians, but Octavian sounds like the smartest individual in that place of the world during the whole of middle ages. He even has manuscripts :eek:

Alexandru H. said:
Moldavia is allied with Wallachia at the start of the game. The problem is that Wallachia is a one-province minor and needs to obtain a second province ASAP. There are two possible routes: Siebenburgen (but Hungary and Austria will prove dangerous) and Bulgaria (a war with the Ottomans, but eh, everyone with his own destiny)...

No, I don't want to be cruel with the poor Wallachians, but Octavian sounds like the smartest individual in that place of the world during the whole of middle ages. He even has manuscripts :eek:

I know perhaps I went a little overboard :eek:o

I'm playing AGCEEP so Walachia and Moldova don't start off as allies. Wallachia even starts off as a vassal of the Ottoman Turks! :confused: So I editting that out at the beginning because that didn't make any sense what so ever.

Aha! Well, you are right, Wallachia should be independent at the start, maybe allied or at least with good relations with Hungary.

But I like that Serban "cel Tiganii" :rofl: It means Serban the Gipsies... Try it with Serban Tiganul...

Alexandru H. said:
Aha! Well, you are right, Wallachia should be independent at the start, maybe allied or at least with good relations with Hungary.

But I like that Serban "cel Tiganii" :rofl: It means Serban the Gipsies... Try it with Serban Tiganul...

Woops! I'll correct that ;) since I have so much time... here's another update!

Last edited:
The Sword of Dacia

The Wine

Chapter III

kagor.jpg

Moldovan Kagor

The two sat. Between them were a table, a map, some cups, a bottle of wine and a bible. Octavian let Serban speak first, as that seemed like the polite thing to do.
“We have a situation on our hands Octavian, over here, we have Dalmatia, which until recently been Ungarian, now the Veneţi had captured a few months ago but had lost it, now it’s Magyar again but not for long. Veneţia has sent an army of mercenaries to recapture it. An army three times the size of anything the Magyar can throw at them!” Serban took a swig of wine and continued,
“But as you see here the Hussites have broken through Moravia and have spilled into Carpaţi (Carpathia) and are undertaking a siege there in the mountains. The Austrians though had become involved against Tyrol and the Ungarians refused to honour their alliance with Austria. Now what do you think the last thing King Zsigmond would expect now?”
“A umm… attack from the rear?” replied Octavian. Serban smiled at what he said.
“You know what Octavian?”
“What is it?”
“You’ve spent far too long abroad.” Octavian was taken aback by this comment. Serban continued to speak,
"You even speak differently then the rest of us!” snidely remarked Serban as he sipped more wine. Octavian was slightly bewildered.
“Err… how so”
“The word you are looking for is asalta…”
“Yes and...”
“And you said adsulto
“Oh… umm… my apologise Logofat, it’s just that it has been a while since I’ve spoken Rumâni with anybody. When I can’t remember the words I us-"
“Latin?”
“Err… yes, Latin. The two languages are very similar, it’s becua-“
“Save the history lesson Octavian. The last thing we can do is waste time right now”. By now Octavian was getting a bit nervous. He dreaded if for some reason Serban would open the bible and ask him to read something from it. His Church Slavonic was weak, he didn’t remember any of, he had been in Italia for so long and ever since he had gotten back he was often absent from Church because of his business dealings (he to, was like his cousin, a horse trader) he travelled excessively and often missed church services so he would read his own, Latin bible to Voica who agreed, was much easier to understand then Slavonic.
“Err… right. So wait a minute, are you proposing we attack Ungaria?!”
“It’s just a suggestion Octavian, calm down, But indeed Ungaria seems to be a besieged from all sides except from our own. With their forces tied down elsewhere this would be an ideal time to revive our claims on them. If we quickly take Banat and Transilvania (Transylvania) we would deal a blow that the Ungarians could never recover from!”
“But what of the Turk?”
“The Turk? They’re tied down to the east, fighting other Turks. The longer, the better I say. They’re far too busy to worry about us”
“I see, does Mihail know about this plan of yours?”
“Mihail? He knows there is an opportunity, but what he really needs is for YOU to convince him to do so. You are after all the most well educated man in the Ţara Românească, by God! The most learned man this side of the Adriatică (Adriatic). I am certain with you clout we could get him to agree!”
“Me?”
“Yes you! It’s not like there is anybody else in the room! Just look at you! You wear ochelari (glasses which where invented in Italy in the late 13th century), you speak with Latin words! You own many books and manuscripts! How exactly did you amass so many if you do not mind me asking?”
“Uh? Well… I do not really own most of these books, I am merely borrowing some of them… from a friend, back in Florenţa…”
“Either your friend has great trust in you or he is a fool to let so many expensive books out of possession!” chortled a jovial looking Serban (and he increasingly became more jovial as he drank)
“Well you see… he died right before I left.” Serban mood changed from joy to a look of solemn contemplation.
“I see” he said.
“I was borrowing the books from a teacher back in Florenţa but he died and left me with all these books. He had no family so I though, that maybe nobody would notice them missing…”
“Ah well, life goes on young Octavian, I remember when I was your age and wasn’t even halfway as far as you are in life then you are now! But look at you, a young and educated boier. Hmm… that reminds me… you are not married?”
“No sir. Not yet”
“How would you like to meet my daughter Octavian? Her name is Cristina! I assure you that she is beautiful and would produce many heirs for you. I assure you that she would be perfect for you!”
“I… I’m not really looking for a wife right now”
“And why not? Is she not good enough for you? Is it because she may have Gypsy blood? Eh? Or what else is it? You think you’re too good for my family because you are a boier?” yelled Serban who had a combination of disappointment and vengeful anger on his face. These sudden changes in mood made an already nervous Octavian even more jumpy. Now Serban seemed close to choking Octavian to death.
“Um… no! No! It’s just that…. Umm…, if what you say is correct then we will have war on our hands! I have to prepare for battle! I will tell the Prince right away about your brilliant plans Serban. Banat and Ungro-Vlahia will be in Rumâni hands once again!” yelped Octavian.
“Ah, so now you think it’s a good idea”, winked Serban.
“I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t magnificent sir! Worthy of Caesar himself! Umm... look at the time Logofat! I should be on my way right now!”

Octavian scrambled out of the room as fast as his legs could take him as he left Logofat Serban smiling over his map with both arms crossed and staring at the ceiling in victory.
“What a prost” Serban said to nobody in particular.
“I don’t even have a daughter!” laughed the wiley Logofat as he gleefully took another sip of fine red Moldovan Kogar.

Last edited:
stnylan said:
So this Octavian is bookish, and something of a stranger in his own land. In otherwords, a most dangerous man. I can only assume that Wallachia’s move will involve a certain amount of applied violence. I mean, it is Wallachia after all.

That's well.... rather accurate! as you can see by the latest update! :D

Heh - I sly little nod to one of the most often incorrectly guessed trivia questions (What are the five modern romance languages?)

And a nifty character in Serban. I like him, especially the more drink he has in him. And he is bold too. Good luck against Hungary. Little Wallachia may need it.

coz1 said:
Heh - I sly little nod to one of the most often incorrectly guessed trivia questions (What are the five modern romance languages?)

And a nifty character in Serban. I like him, especially the more drink he has in him. And he is bold too. Good luck against Hungary. Little Wallachia may need it.

Thanks coz1 :)

I was wondering what does everybody think of the two updates per day format? ShouldI keep it up or slow it down a bit?