• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1066-1142

best75

First Lieutenant
33 Badges
Dec 30, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hi

I recently gained interest to play CK2. I have not played the game much but I like to think I am well prepared after looking at various guides. I am partway with my playthrough and I thought I share it.

Our story begins in 1066 with Duke Murchad of Mumu. He died of a infected wound in 1071 at age 44.
Screenshot (61).jpg

Screenshot (62).jpg

His descendents were...
Duke Brain II of Mumu. Died from great pox in 1084 at age 36.
Screenshot (63).jpg

King Buaidbeo the Architect of Eire. Died in battle in 1124 at age 46.
Screenshot (64).jpg

Brain II and Buaidbeo were noted to be strange men. (They were part of the demon worshiper society)

Murchad and his descendants worked on establishing control over the surrounding counties.

By the time of King Dub-de-Lethe of Eire, our current character and great grandson of Duke Murchad, the Kingdom of Ireland was created, all counties in Ireland are under the control of the dynasty and even a few counties have been snatched from Scotland and England.
Screenshot (65).jpg

Dub-de-Lethe is a virtuous man. He was coronated by a high ranking Bishop, went on a crusade, and pilgrimage. He is generally well liked by his vassals, especially the religious figures.

During King Buaidbeo's reign, he started work on a Great Library. While he never finished it, it is hoped King Dub-de-Lethe would finish it and a Grand Mausoleum has started work recently.
Screenshot (68).jpg

Dub-de-Lethe's inventory contains a few items. A golden bracelet and holy prepuce that Buaidbeo stole while on a crusade, and the image of edessa that Dub-de-Lethe stole while he was in the Benedictine Order.
Screenshot (70).jpg

Unfortunately Dub-de-Lethe was caught in his theft and is no longer welcomed to the Benedictiine Order. He is currently part of the Dominican Order.
Screenshot (71).jpg

The dynasty has the Blood of Brain. In his time Buaidbeo had a ambition to forge a bloodline so he built many cities, giving him and his descendants the Architect bloodline.
Screenshot (72).jpg

The inheritance system is currently fedual elective. Due to my character holding the Duchy of Mumu and Laigin, and my refusal to create the tittles for the other duchies in Ireland. My character is the only voter and the current vote is for my brother.
Screenshot (73).jpg

The year is 1142 and Dub-de-Lethe is currently crushing a revolt by one of his vassal. He gave Tewdwr the tittle to Meath and pushed his claim on Perfeddwlad. At some point Tewdwr was excommunicated and this gave Dub-de-Lethe the perfect excuse to attempt to arrest Tewdwr and provoke his rebellion. Once the revolt ends,, Dub-de-Lethe intends to revoke the county of Meath from Tewdwr.
Screenshot (67).jpg

Unfortunately some worrying news comes from across the sea.
Screenshot (60).jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is interesting.

Are those the Aztecs?

It's interesting that he was allowed to switch holy orders.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1142-1148: Aztec Invasion Leadup
Tewdwr's rebellion is crushed and the county of Meath is revoked from him. Tewdwr would be released later when he has gathered enough gold for the ransom.
Screenshot (75).jpg

The experience of Dub-de-Lethe in his past war against England still haunts him. He decides to become celibate.
Screenshot (84).jpg

As part of the Dominican Order. Once Dub-de-Lethe has reached rank 2, I remove the celibate trait with the decision.
Screenshot (91).jpg

Dub-de-Lethe bravely takes part in a battle against raiders and personally kills Chief Kol of Kemi.
Screenshot (92).jpg

Near the end of 1147, the Aztecs finally arrived. They appear in the Bretagne Coast and start their conquest with Brittany.
Screenshot (98).jpg

Before everything goes to hell. Here is a look at my finances. My character is much liked by the religious figures so the church tax is payed to him instead of the pope.
Screenshot (99).jpg

A few months later and a 2nd invasion fleet arrives at the coast of Ireland. Terror grips Ireland as thousands of bloodthirsty Aztec warriors land in Ireland. Dub-de-Lethe had gathered his levies in anticipation of this but his 10,000 men army pales in comparison to the number of Aztec warriors.
Screenshot (100).jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I suspect that surrendering to the Aztecs and waiting for them to collapse might be wise.

I wonder if another Aztec fleet will land in Hispania?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foreseeing the need for gold and the realm's economy about to be wrecked, Dub-de-Lethe gives the order to expel the Jews and seize their gold.
Screenshot (103).png

Screenshot (104).png

With the Aztec army being far too powerful to directly engage, the Aztecs are free to pillage and loot. They quickly siege many holdings. A personal blow is dealt to Dub-de-Lethe as once the Aztecs break into Bun an Raite, they sacrifice his sister, brother, brother's wife, and his wife.
Screenshot (105).png

A new wife is quickly found for Dub-de-Lethe, Antonella Moronsini.
Screenshot (106).png

The army of Ireland meets the Aztecs at Penycwm. A contingent of the Aztecs marched into Wales and were meet with the Irish army. Suffering from moving across the strait and fighting in the hills. The Aztec force was initially beaten back by the Irish. However large numbers of Aztec reinforcements arrived just as the first contingent of Aztecs were being run down. Dub-de-Lethe took part in the battle and led the centre but was forced to retreat with his army when the tide turned due to the Aztec reinforcements. At the very least 5,000 Aztecs lay dead.
Screenshot (114).png
Screenshot (115).png

Screenshot (116).png

Dub-de-Lethe had borrowed money from a Holy Order. The Holy Order offers to cancel the debt in exchange for allowing them to build a castle in Meath. This is a rather odd request, seeing as Meath is under Aztec occupation. Nevertheless, Dub-de-Lethe grants them this strange request.
Screenshot (118).png

After several more months of the Aztecs ravaging the country and as they start to siege the counties outside of Ireland, I accept their terms of peace.
Screenshot (121).png

All of Ireland is lost to the Aztecs. Only the outside territory remains in my realm. Dub-de-Lethe takes over the County of Na Rannaibh as his personal demesne. I wasn't sure what was going in with the county usurping after peace was accepted but from the wiki, it is the "Emergency" usurp mechanic for Dukes and higher rank characters.

The realm is in precarious state after the war. With the death of Dub-de-Lethe's brother, his son becomes his heir. The realm is weakened and left vulnerable. The great wonders that were being worked on are lost. At the very least, Dub-de-Lethe had a large amount of of gold saved up.
Screenshot (122).png

Dub-de-Lethe has little choice but to swear fealty to the Aztecs to prevent them coming after him in the future.
Screenshot (127).png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I suspect that surrendering to the Aztecs and waiting for them to collapse might be wise.

I wonder if another Aztec fleet will land in Hispania?
Indeed. In the end I didn't have much choice but to swear fealty to prevent them declaring another war and losing more land. It may take decades but I hope to retake my independence and control of Ireland back once the Aztecs collapse.

Reactions:
It's sad that the Aztecs have taken Ireland, but that allows you to build up an empire within their realm and wait to rebel.

It's also relieving to see that the invaders from across the sea can be defeated...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dub-de-Lethe himself is a zealous man so he starts to duel excommunicated characters.
uuu.png

Over the next several weeks and months, my Aztec liege transfers the vassalage of the territory in Ireland to me. Perhaps they see it as a way to simplify the management of the territory.
Screenshot (149).png

However my Aztec overlords do take some actions which are negative to me. They revoke my title to the Duchy of Leinster and my vassalage to the County of Perfeddwlad. I have little choice but to accept their demands.
Screenshot (147).png

The Aztecs also give me a few important positions. Dub-de-Lethe is given the title of designated regent and offered the position of Chancellor, and Commander later. Both positions are accepted. My character wants a position on the council so is a powerful vassal and the diplomacy skill of 13 is decent enough so that must have convinced to offer the position.

My character has a good martial skill at 16. and several traits that can help in battle. Flat terrain expert, direct leader, patient, and brave. The Aztecs must noticed his battlefield skill.
Screenshot (141).png

Now Dub-de-Lethe is part of the Aztec Council and the odd man out in this group. The council laws show the Aztec council has no power.
Screenshot (144).png

There is plotting within the Aztec Empire and I support this fabricate plot by one of my vassal.
Screenshot (151).png

By now the Aztecs had given me the vassalage of all of Ireland except the Duchy of Leinster. Unfortunately this comes with a few problems. Succession went my want when I held the only Irish duchy titles and I refuse to create the other titles. The Aztecs are currently on a conquest of Scotland.
Screenshot (153).png

Now the Aztecs have created the other duchy titles and this causes major problems as the heir to the Kingdom of Ireland is one of the Aztec dukes. The Aztec dukes have too great of score penalty for them to vote my preferred candidate. This is a major problem and must be dealt with.
Screenshot (160).png

Fortunately Dub-de-Lethe and his council just passed a interesting new law.
Screenshot (161).png

I had thought about how to treat my major Aztec vassal. I had considered placating them by giving them a council position but I now made my choice.

Dub-de-Lethe cannot have Aztec vassals who will undermine the rule of him and his family. The titles of the various Aztec vassals will be revoked and their land be used to strengthen Dub-de-Lethe's personal demesne and to vassals who will be loyal.

The territory in Ireland is still suffering from the recently conquered and new administration modifier so they will not be able to call upon a big army if they resist. This will enviably anger the Aztec vassals but there will be none of them left once the realm has been reorganised.
Screenshot (167).png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Aztecs are being surprisingly kind to your Irish. I wonder if they'll end up regretting that?

Will the empire take steps to prevent their vassals from having too much power?

Reactions:
Demands were sent to the Aztec vassals in the realm to revoke their titles.

I make sure to destroy the Duchy titles to secure the succession, except the Duchy of Munster which I will hold myself.
Screenshot (171).png

Most accepted but Huitzitl who held the Duchy of Connacht and all its counties, rejected the order and risen in revolt.
Screenshot (179).png

Very few troops could be risen for the war dude to the counties still suffering from negative modifiers and most of my troops came from my vassals in Scotland and Wales. While my army was superior, it soon became clear sieging Huitzitl's holdings would take a extremely long time with my army size. So Dub-de-Lethe hired the Saxon Band to help.
Screenshot (182).png

In the background, my Aztec overlords continue their wars of conquest against Scotland and England. With additional land, they have given me the vassslage of Leinster.
Screenshot (185).png

A assassination plot starts against Dub-de-Lethe. Led by a Aztec vassal in the Aztec Empire and supported by my Aztec vassal holdings. I will revoke the titles from these lower tier vassals as well.
Screenshot (186).png

The Aztec defeat England and conduct a mass sacrifice. I help my Aztec liege hand out some titles. I play favourites and gave Middlesex to myself which I gave to someone else later. My wife is given Tottenham, a barony in Middlesex.
Screenshot (187).png

Screenshot (188).png

At Westmeath, King Dub-de-Lethe met battle with Huitzitl and the superior size of Dub-de-Lethe's army quickly overwhelmed the Aztec force. During the battle, Dub-de-Lethe caught Huitzitl in a duel as the Aztec commander tried to escape. Huitzitl was defeated and left at Dub-de-Lethe's mercy. Dub-de-Lethe personally executed Huitzitl to end his rebellion. With their leader dead, the rebellion ends and due to Huitzitl having no heirs, his titles all transfer to Dub-de-Lethe.
Screenshot (190).png

Screenshot (191).png

Screenshot (192).png

The Aztec Duke of Lenister accepted the revocation of 1 country but rebelled when I revoked the 2nd country. I had the Saxon Band still employed and nearby in case this would happened.
Screenshot (197).png

Battle was met. The Aztec rebel leader was killed and I inherit his titles.
Screenshot (199).png

With so many titles revoked, there was quite a effort to grant all the titles to people. The counties of Tyrconnell, North Connacht, and Hy-May were granted to Dub-de-Lethe's son and heir.

This has been a huge success overall. After granting the titles, my character's demesne now holds all the counties in Munster, Meath, and 1 County in the Leinster Duchy. I move my capital back to Thomond and can continue work on the great wonders now. The removal of these foreigners means I can be more confident in the loyalty of my vassals and the dismantling of the Duchy titles has secured the succession of my heir in the elective system. My realm had even expanded, a sub vassal in Wales conquered a county in Wales, this was only possible because the Aztecs defeated England and left the counties in Wale with no higher liege. To the east near London, you can see Middlesex in my color.
Screenshot (202).png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, it appears that there are benefits to siding with the invaders.

I fully expect a backstab of the Aztecs as soon as it becomes convenient.

Reactions:
A Catholic revolt occurs in Scotland. The Aztecs have placed one of their own to rule the county and the people do not take kindly to such a foreign ruler. The uprising is quickly put down by a nearby Aztec Army but this shows the instability of the Aztec rule.
Screenshot (203).png

As part of the Dominican Order, I take part in one of their meetings and make a new friend.
Screenshot (205).png

Huecalpixqui Cacamatzin invites me to carousing. Through our relations are not very good as he used to own the county of Desmond and I revoked it from him (You can see a weak claim he still has) , but this can be a opportunity to improve relations and he controls a Duchy so I accept his invitation.
Screenshot (206).png

I hire a weapon smith to craft the best quality axe she can, I name it Ravager.
Screenshot (207).png

Screenshot (232).png

My truce with Uhtred will end soon. Uhtred used to be the king of England and I had a war with him over Perfeddwlad but his kingdom was lost when he was defeated by the Aztecs. Now he is left with only the county of Glywysing. This is a opportunity to expand and the Aztecs might go for him soon so I start a force vassalization war on him.
Screenshot (211).png

There is another feudal leader named Uhtred who holds several of the other counties in Wales so I start a vasslization war with him too.
Screenshot (220).png

I start carousing with Huecalpixqui and we become friends. While the relation is still low relation, it will be decent in a few short years.
Screenshot (222).png

My Aztec overlord attacks Uthred of Morgannwg, my overlord quickly defeats Uthred of Morgannwg. My newly made friend Huecalpixqui joins my war.
Screenshot (227).png

France is currently divided in a civil war and my Aztec overlord declares war on the French Revolt.
Screenshot (234).png

A child named Robartach is born to Dub-de-Lethe. Unfortunately the child is imbecile so the heir will likely remain the eldest son.
Screenshot (235).png

The holdings in Glywysing are successfully sieged and Uthred becomes my vassal.
Screenshot (236).png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well, it appears that there are benefits to siding with the invaders.

I fully expect a backstab of the Aztecs as soon as it becomes convenient.
Yeah, as much as I am dismayed at being under the thumb of the Aztecs, the Aztecs shattering the existing order has provided opportunity for expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Irish are attacking British kingdoms under the aegis of the Aztecs. They totally aren't planning to revolt. No, they are very loyal subjects, these Irish...

• 2Haha
Reactions:
1153-1158

My character starts composing a book. Martial is his highest stat so that will be the topic of the book. I also commissioned a smith to create a armor set. Duels continue against against excommunicated characters.
Screenshot (238).png

The initial Aztec invasion of France ends due to the French Civil War ending. Not long after, the Aztecs declare war on France. The Aztecs overwhelm France. We get news from the Aztec homeland and terrible things happen in Paris. The Aztecs next attack the Holy Roman Empire to take the Lotharingia area. My character takes part in the invasion as a commander.
Screenshot (248).png

Back home, Dub-de-Lethe's wife died from Camp Fever. Her holdings are passed to my 2nd son Robartach. I quickly find a new wife. There is still 1 independent county in Wales so I do a force vassalization war on Powys. One of my vassals die without a heir so I inherit his county and artifact. I keep the skull trophy and give the County of Oriel to my 2nd son. Aed used to own just Middlesex but his domain has expanded, what I think happened is my Aztec overlord gave him the Duchy of Essex title and the associated counties. In my attempts to sway him, I got him to owe me a favor.
Screenshot (249).png

As part of my Chancellor duties, my character improves relationship for my liege and got a favor on my liege after helping teach a a foreign language. After the Aztecs defeat France, the factions in the Aztec Empire disbanded so I took the opportunity to create and lead 2 factions. I found common cause with several other vassals but I was forced to leave after my Aztec liege blackmail me for spreading my Christian faith. If I disagreed the relation with my liege would decrease a lot and I was afraid it would cause him to start revoke my titles. I was spreading my Christian faith in Hy-Many, a heresy appeared in the county and I sent my court chaplain to convert the county back.
Screenshot (252).png

During this time, the Child Crusade event chain started and my character gives his full support to the crusade.
Screenshot (266).png

A number of events happened during the time period. I have a new daughter. Its unfortunate the expulsion of jews cause a economic development loss, I will invite them back as soon as the decision appears (20 years after banishing the Jews).
Screenshot (241).png

A important matter is my first son and heir. I do my best to educate him to be a suitable heir and ruler. I even use my society ability to remove a negative trait. Eventually his education finish and he grows up. As a adult, I find him a wife and as he is a powerful vassal I give him a council position. His highest stat is diplomacy at 15 so I give him the chancellor position.
Screenshot (275).png

The Aztecs start a war with the Knights Templar over a holding. While looking I noticed a English Liberation Revolt has spawned in Bath. Bath is ruled by the former Queen of Scotland, before the Aztecs defeated her. The population doesn't take kindly to being ruled by a scot and the rumours of witchcraft. Her reign is over, she doesn't have a strong enough army to resist the English army.

The Knights Templar land a large army in the Isles, the attrition quickly causes losses to the Templars. I initially wasn't going to do anything to get involved in the war but I spot a number of them moving towards Ireland. So they don't siege my holdings, I gathered my army to meet the Templars and defeated the Templar army. After following and wiping out the Templar army, I move my army to siege the Templar holding in Meath.

After the Templar War, the Aztecs declare war on the Holy Roman Empire again. They normally wouldn't be able to declare a war again so soon due to the truce but the HRE has a new ruler. The new HRE ruler overthrew and imprison the previous one and even set up a anti pope.
Screenshot (295).png

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Aztecs are expanding. Let's hope that they reach their zenith soon.

France survives in Aquitaine, right? Why haven't the Aztecs usurped the title?

• 1Like
Reactions:
1158-1161
The Children's Crusade proceeds and is successful in taking Jerusalem. The 75K forces of the crusade greatly outnumber the 12K of the Fatmids. I could have sent troops but I could see the Crusade would easily win on its own.
Screenshot (344).png

I have my 3rd son. While my character has some suspicions he may not be the father, I think its better to not look into the matter. Later on I notice my Aztec overlord has given them the Duchy of Penthievre.
Screenshot (347).png

The Aztecs go onward with their conquest of Germany. The Aztecs face several rebllion in their territory, including a English Liberation Revoolt and Peasant Revolt. There are probably many I don't notice. The next major conquest for the Aztecs is Norway and we get a special event about Iceland.
Screenshot (348).png

During this time I was given a mission by the Dominican Order to spend time to penance. I made some progress but my character grew tired and failed the task.
Screenshot (351).png

Some other events happen during this time. My character trains for battle. I need to keep a watch on the heresy, a county in my realm converted to Fraticelli and my Court Chaplain was attacked while trying to spread the faith. The Thomondian Band was a mercenary company created by Duke Brain II and the leader has recently informed me the payment given will decrease.
Screenshot (356).png

A measles epidemic reaches Ireland. My character shuts the gates while the epidemic is ongoing and I had to kick out a few people who were already infected with the disease. A woman was discovered in the tunnels. Letting random woman in during s plague doesn't seem like a good idea so I execute her to be safe.
Screenshot (368).png

The Teutonis go on their Northern Crusade and settle in Sweden. The Pope calls for a Crusade to take back France from the Aztecs. This is a odd situation I found myself in, I am a vassal of the target that is being crusaded and the Crusade menu is available for me to join. From my searching of how the mechanics in this situation, even if I pledge to join the crusade, I will be on the side of the Aztecs so there is no point for me to join. There is concern the Crusade will be cancelled. Its only just a month has passed but the Crusade strength is not enough. They will probably need the Holy Roman Empire which has yet to join to bring the Crusade enough strength.
Screenshot (384).png

A major revolt occurs in the Aztec Empire, a war of tyranny. It was started when Konrad refused a title revocation and he is joined by several vassals in the Aztec Empire. The revolt is of considerable strength but I won't be joining it. The Aztecs have 68K troops. The bulk of the Aztecs strength comes from their event troops, they currently have 41K event troops. They probably started with something around 100K event troops so the Aztecs have taken considerable loss but its still a large number so successful revolt is not guaranteed and joining the revolt risks my character being jailed if it fails. I will take the safe option to not take arms and join a later revolt when the Aztecs have exhausted their event troops. Even if the revolt fails, they can take down some of the event troops.
Screenshot (566).png

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Aztecs are expanding. Let's hope that they reach their zenith soon.

France survives in Aquitaine, right? Why haven't the Aztecs usurped the title?
Hopefully soon, I am hoping the Aztecs will launch more wars of conquest. Each war will deplete their event troops which cannot be replaced and more vassals which will join a independence faction.

Yeah France still survives in the south and still have the Kingdom of France title.

Reactions: