• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gormytorysh

Captain
55 Badges
Apr 15, 2013
www.gamerschain.com
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
KMTvlag.jpg

Introduction
Back again with a new AAR. I've been thinking about doing multiple Dutch AARs, but that would have been a bit boring perhaps. Anyhow, I wanted to do something with Nationalist China, a sleeping giant. Again I set myself some goals and I have no idea how this will go, but we'll see. I would like to imporve myself, especially in writing AARs, so thanks for anyone that contributed in feedback in my last AAR. Any feedback is always welcome.

Some info upfront:
Expansion: Their Finest Hour
Mods: none
Difficulty: normal
Nation chosen: Nationalist China
Writing style: a bit of everything, again with a very large twist with what is historically accurate and one or more fictional characters involved.

Goals:
First and foremost, I would like to join the Allies, however, if not excepted into the Allies I will continue to play as an independent nation with it's own goals. Another goals is unify whole of China under the KMT flag, including Tibet and Manchukuo obviously. After that occupy Japan including the pacific islands, which will be a pain considering their fleet size & technology and mine!

Index:
From Qing Dynasty to Civil War
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting
The sleeping giant awakens
The Golden Dragon Unleashed
Claiming back what is ours
Conquest of Manchuria - Part 1
Conquest of Manchuria - Part 2: Siberian Winds

Last edited:
From Qing Dynasty to Civil War (1911-1935)

After the collapse of the Qing Dynasty in 1911, China was left under the control of several major and lesser warlords in the Warlord era. The anti-monarchist and Kuomintang, lead by Sun Yat-sen, were looking for to defeat these warlords, who had seized control of much of Northern China. Sadly the Western countries ignored the cry for help, though the Soviet Union answered to call. Though they did not only help the KMT, they also made sure they supported the newly formed Communist Party of China, led by Mao Zedong. Thus the struggle for power in China began between the KMT and the CPC.

In 1923, a joint statement by Sun and Soviet Union pledged Soviet assistance for China's unification, the so called Sun-Joffe Manifesto. The CPC joined the KMT to form the First United Front to fight off the Japanese forces that invaded from Korea into China. The war resulted in a defeat for China and the birth of a new nation, Manchukuo, lead by the last Emperor of China, Pu Yi. Pu Yi was a puppet of Japan and became a much hated figure in Nationalist China. In that same year, Sun sent Chiang Kai-shek, one of his lieutenants from his Tongmeng Hui days, for several months of military and political study in Moscow. In 1924, Chiang was appointed as Sun's successor as head of the KMT.

Chiang1926.jpg

Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek

National_Revolutionary_Army_troops.png

Nationist Revolutionary Army (NRA) marching to the front to fight Japan

In early 1927 the KMT-CPC rivalry led to a split in the revolutionary ranks. On April 7, Chiang and several other KMT leaders held a meeting arguing that communist activities were socially and economically disruptive, and must be undone for the national revolution to proceed. On April 12 in Shanghai, the KMT was purged of leftists by the arrest and execution of hundreds of CPC members.

In late 1927, CPC activists retreated underground or to the countryside where they formed an armed rebellion. The revolt of the CPC against the Nationalist government began on 1 August 1928 in Nanchang, Jiangxi. This marked the beginning of the ten year's struggle, known in China as the "Ten Year's Civil War". It lasted until late 1935 when the threat from Japan became more eminent and the KMT needed to secure the northern border. Also, they needed to reform and regroup the NRA and prepare them for a top secret plan to succeed: the Unification of China under KMT banner!

War was upon China again……

Last edited:
An excellent choice, I love playing Nationalist China so I wish you luck!

An excellent choice, I love playing Nationalist China so I wish you luck!

Thank you! Though I need focus, not luck..... ok, just a bit of luck then ;).

I'll be tagging along as well. It will be interesting to see how you will outperform the Japanese. The initial struggles won't be easy but I think you need something challenging this time unlike the Netherlands one where you steamrolled everyone who looked you funny.

I'll be tagging along as well. It will be interesting to see how you will outperform the Japanese. The initial struggles won't be easy but I think you need something challenging this time unlike the Netherlands one where you steamrolled everyone who looked you funny.

Thanks and welcome. I am hoping for a challenge, especially with the Japanese and we'll see how it goes. One thing that will not be a problem this time: manpower! I have a lot of manpower and I am not afraid to use it ;).

HoI3_1.jpg

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting
January 1936 – December 1936

Unification under one Nationalist China would not be easy. A threat from Japan, badly trained and equipped Chinese forces and warlords in the north, west and south. Chiang Kai-shek was not only head of the government but also appointed himself as Field Marshall and highest in command in the army. With his ministers he discussed the situation and demanded increase in production and finding more suitable men to join the armed forces. For these laws to pass more influential members of the KMT needed convincing and therefor Chiang Kai-shek came up with a cunning plan. He secretly ordered Chinese spies to infiltrate in Japan and Hong Kong and spread rumors from within. These rumours spread among the people and eventually reached China. The rumours mainly mentioned the increasing warmongering in Japan and the so called British ambition to increase it’s presence in other parts of China with Shanghai as target. With a somewhat fresh memory of Western Imperialism and the Boxers, it would not have been that strange, so the Chinese people easily saw the rumours as truth. Meanwhile, and ironically even, efforts were increased to join the Allied forces in the hope to gain protection from the Allies against Japanese agression if needed.

Chiang_Kai-shek%EF%BC%88%E8%94%A3%E4%B8%AD%E6%AD%A3%EF%BC%89.jpg

Chiang Kai-shek in his ceremonial Field Marshal outfit

HoI3_5.jpg

The government in 1936

After months of work done by Chinese spies, the effects were becoming more clearly. The population demanded protection from the Japanese forces that were concentrating more and more along the small northern border. Chiang Kai-shek finally had enough support for his laws to pass in the coming months and eventually Chinese industry was at war strenght. The reforms in the army were going a little bit more slow then expected. The hardened forces were mainly watching the Sino-Japanese border and a few along the hostile province occupied by the CPC, while the large militia forces concentrated along the southern border shared with the Guangxi Clique.

HoI3_9.jpg
HoI3_7.jpg

New laws enacted

HoI3_12.jpg

Sino-Japanese border

HoI3_13.jpg

5th Corps watching the CPC

HoI3_14.jpg

Militia forces securing the border with the Clique

On the 11th of July, 1936 the governor of Guandong, Hu Hanmin, died. He was one of the early leaders of the KMT and after the death of Sun Yat-sen declared independancy from the rest of China due to a long rivalry with Chiang Kai-shek. As a result a large part of the Clique party collapsed and about half the land covered returned to the KMT and Nationalist China. This provided an excellent opportunity to encircle the hostile area.

HoI3_16.jpg

New aqcuired territory from the Guangxi Clique

The remaining part of the Guangxi Clique wanted to remain independent, not willing to submit to the obviously stronger KMT. A war was inevitable and, with the ambition of unifying all of China, plans were made by strategic masterminds which were know as The Sun Tzu wars, named after China’s most famous general, strategist and philosopher. The plan mostly entails the strategy about how to attack the rebellious provinces, Manchukuo, Korea and how to reform the army further.

Last edited:
How much time do you have before the Japanese will strike? Will declaring other wars entice the Japanese to strike faster? I'm a bit confused with your two enacted laws where you have One-Year Draft and Three-Year Draft. You can have both laws enacted at the same time?

You won't have to worry about manpower this time but please refrain from sending waves after waves of soldiers accomplishing little. I look forward to seeing how you will outwit the Japanese with numbers though.

How much time do you have before the Japanese will strike?

Normally they strike in the summer of 1937, so I have about 6 months preparation time left.

Will declaring other wars entice the Japanese to strike faster?

I have no clue what will trigger them or perhaps make them decide to delay the attack. But we'll see soon I assume.

I'm a bit confused with your two enacted laws where you have One-Year Draft and Three-Year Draft. You can have both laws enacted at the same time?

Whoops, wrong screenshot! Thanks for noticing. Edit: corrected now

You won't have to worry about manpower this time but please refrain from sending waves after waves of soldiers accomplishing little. I look forward to seeing how you will outwit the Japanese with numbers though.

Manpower is crazy at the start and is insane if you use Agri tech. In a previous run (where I joined the Axis) I got so much manpower that even with all losses I got over 3k in no time. I am using a totally different strategy and tactics with Nat. China right now, so it could go very good or very bad. I have never been able to unify China while fighting of Japan or before they attack, so let's see what will happen with this new approach.

The sleeping giant awakens
January 1937 – December 1937

The Sun Tzu wars stated that the remaining parts of the Guangxi Clique should be inihilated and with the refusal of joining the KMT, militia forces invaded from the north, east and south in January 1937. Most of the defending forces retreated with the approach of invading forces. The only real battle was in the city of Nanning, the capital of the Guangxi Clique. Led by the old Major General Zhao Chengshou, almost 33,000 troops were send in from the south and after a few skirmishes the defenders retreated to the north. After merely two weeks of, more or less, fighting the Guangxi Clique surrendered and handed over control of the province to the KMT.

HoI3_18.jpg
HoI3_19.jpg

Battle of Nanning and casualties

After securing the most south region in China Chiang Kai-shek wanted to put an end to Communist minority and wanted to dispose of their leader Mao Zedong, who was getting more support. Especially from the working class, a class well represented in China, more people joined the CPC ranks and the only way to put an end to it was to take control of their region in the north and capture their leader. As the CPC had a better organized army compared to the Clique in the south, a full corps from Beiping Army was waiting along the border for orders to arrive. 3 Division attacked Yan’an from Hancheng, while 2 divisions headed into the mountains to keep the well trained CPC troops occupied and not making it possible for them to interfere in the attack of Yan’an. The CPC troops retreated north as soon as they heard no relief force was coming from the mountains nor from the Soviets who told them they would help the Communists. A few days after the initial attack, Mao Zedong saw no other option then to surrender to the KMT. Chiang Kai-shek was happy to have dealt with the Communists for once and for all in the first three months of 1937.

HoI3_22.jpg
HoI3_23.jpg

The quick strike against the CPC and their surrender

After the glorious victories in borth north and south, Chiang Kai-Shek revealed the next part of the Sun Tzu wars. Yunnan and Xibei San Ma were the next to be retaken and absorbed into Nat. China. Before war was declared, the militia forces in the south needed to move into the rough mountains and take their positions there, while the victorious corps in the north was to do the same in both plains and mountains. 4 Months passed untill war was declared, in July 1937, by the KMT against both Yunnan and Xibei San Ma. High Chinese command knew that it would be more difficult to subdue these areas due to their rough terrain and a bit more better trained forces. Especially Yunnan fought ferociously not willing to give up that easily, while Xibei San Ma was using a retreating tactic where supply lines of the KMT were getting more streched. Eventually both small nations had to cease their resistance and surrendered in October, almost simultaneously.

HoI3_26.jpg
HoI3_27.jpg

Advance of the Militia Forces and surrender of Yunnan

HoI3_30.jpg
HoI3_31.jpg

Advance of the KMT Corps and surrender of Xibei San Ma

After the victories in the north and south, Chiang Kai-shek ordered to strengthen the border with Japan some more as the threat of an Japanese invasion seemed to be more eminent. Also preperations were to be made for taking Tibet, Shanxi and Sinkiang, the last three remaining regions which were seen as part of China in the eyes of the KMT.

HoI3_32.jpg

Nationalist China, October 1937

As you can see, Japan did not attack, nor did I receive the Marco Polo Bridge incident event in September(?) 1937. I have no facts if it has something to do with the stacks at the border or not, I just expected an attack as normally would happen, but nothing!

The Golden Dragon Unleashed
January 1938 – September 1939

In the last days of December 1938, Nationalist China declared war on Shanxi as Chiang Kai-shek feared the Japanese forces would make a surprise attack on them in order to invade China. If the Chinese army did not take Shanxi by themselves, the border would be far more streched and much harder to defend. Shanxi tried to defend as much as they could but could not prevent a walkover and on January 26th, 1938 they surrendered.

HoI3_35.jpg

Shanxi formally surrenders to Nationalist China

The new Sino-Japanese border would be a much easier defendable one and a harder for Japan to make any surprise attacks. If Japan had any plans to invade China, it would now be a massacre on their side according to Chinese propaganda. Troop momevement did not go unnoticed on Japanese side and they send more troops to defend any Chinese agression. For the first time in decades, the Chinese army felt more superior than the Japanese army. Chiang Kai-shek did not want to take any chances and prepared the attack on Japan to reclaim their lands back and imprison their threacharous Emperor Pu Yi. Before the order would be given, more divisions were needed and also along the coast he wanted more troops stationed if Japan wanted to do a landing.

HoI3_38.jpg

Sino-Japanese border

In the Summer of 1938, China wanted Tibet and Sinkiang annexed and because the Chinese army felt superior and was in a victorious mood, they assumed this would be an easy war. Tibet hardly resisted and surrendered in August 1938, less then a month after the war started. Sinkiang provided a lot more resistance and booked some victories over China, repelling one attack after another. Even boldly conquering a few territories. For the first time, China underestimated an enemy and the Militia-Force, known as the MIL-F after their recent victories, appeared not to be efficient anymore. The corps that was victorious over Xibei San Ma was the closest regular army and was ordered to take the lead in the assault of Sinkiang. With the bad roads leading west, it took long before they arrived at the front.
Meanwhile, Sinkiang was seeking support from the Soviet Union and a few weeks after the war began, Sinkiang was accepted into the Comintern. Though the Soviets had no forces nearby and wanted to see the true capabilities of Sinkiang, they did nothing to help other than sending a few military leaders to give strategic and tactical advise. With the perfect terrain as defense, Sinkiang held of Chinese attacks untill they lost the 6th battle of Ruoqiang, where China suffered their biggest loss of men since The Sun Tzu wars began. The battle took two weeks before morale on Sinkiang side suffered enough for them to retreat. This would be a turning point in a war that took too long according to the Field Marshall. In April 1939 Sinkiang finally surrendered while the Soviet Union was merely watching from a sideline.

HoI3_41.jpg
HoI3_43.jpg

Surrender of Tibet and Sinkiang accepted the Comintern invitation

HoI3_45.jpg
HoI3_47.jpg

Battle of Ruoqiang and advance in Sinkiang

HoI3_48.jpg
HoI3_49.jpg

China and the Sino-Japanese border and coastal defenses in April 1939

All was going well until Sinkiang... So that means you are now at war with the Comintern? That's going to be interesting...

Everything's looking fine and dandy. You are reclaiming Chinese territory without much interference from foreign powers and Japan stands at the sidelines undecided about their next action. Why do I get a feeling that this will be a cakewalk again? (Not your fault, of course. The AI are just being really dumb here :p)

All was going well until Sinkiang... So that means you are now at war with the Comintern? That's going to be interesting...

Well, actually, I am not! :blink:. I assumed I would be, but its either a bug or it is because I was already at war with Sinkiang.

Everything's looking fine and dandy. You are reclaiming Chinese territory without much interference from foreign powers and Japan stands at the sidelines undecided about their next action. Why do I get a feeling that this will be a cakewalk again? (Not your fault, of course. The AI are just being really dumb here :p)

I actually fear that too and I was hoping for a challenge. Perhaps I should try a higher difficulty level next time :wacko:.

EDIT: luckily it is not as easy as I feared, though the battles itself is not that big a deal, supplies (especially out of) is more of a concern. I played last night and will get a new update up hopefully tomorrow at the latest, perhaps even today.

Last edited:
Claiming back what is ours
September 1st, 1939 – October 15th, 1939

Chiang Kai-shek sat in his office, looking outside with his mind drifting off and thinking about the success he had with unifying China. His last hurdle, Manchukuo, would not be an easy one. While waiting for some news about transports and troops in Shanghai he was drinking his favorite drink, a cherry brandi, which was a very popular drink among the people. He turned his head towards the door when it opened and his orderly entered the room.

”Speak!”

“Sir, the troops are ready to board, sir.”

“Good, what is the weather forecast?”

“Rain, sir.”

“Send Field Marshal Chen Jitang to my office right away.”

“Sir!”

The orderly rushes out of the room while Chiang turns his chair towards the window again. Barely 15 minutes pass by when the door opens again. The orderly shows a man inside, dressed in an over the top uniform decorated with more than enough medals.

”Field Marshal Chen, no matter what the weather will be, I want the transports send out before the end of the week!”

“But Sir, chances of success will be far less if it rains.”

“SILENCE! I gave you an order, not asked for an opinion. We have to keep the element of surprise out our side. Tomorrow at 8am, send the northern armies across the border. A formal declaration of war will be issued an hour before that. Reports indicate they expect an assault from us, just not an assault on Taiwan. Getting the island back after almost 35 years would be a great achievement and a clear statement to Japan. I don’t have to remind you about the utmost secrecy of this plan.”

“No sir, I understand the importance.”

“I expect the Japanese fleet to escort their transports mostly and if they even take an invasion into account, I bet they think it will be on Japan itself. After the initial assault, send the transports after 3 days and before the end of the week. Clear?”

“Sir, yes sir.”

HoI3_55.jpg
HoI3_57.jpg

Battle plans for Manchukuo, Korea and Japan

On September 5th China declared war on Japan and as planned the nortern armies attacked the Japanese. A little surpised by the fast attack after the declaration of war, they tried to defend however, they simply lacked enough manpower. The joined Manchu and Japanese forces were forced to move back and everything seemed to go even better as planned. On September 8th , 17th Corps embarked in Shanghai and set sail for Taiwan. The island was reached at midnight and the first few divisions set foot on it shortly after. Within 3 hours China managed to create a decent beachhead and moved to the south to secure the port of Gaoxiong. A motorized division was stationed there to keep the island under control. It was very clear they did not expect an invasion on Taiwan.

HoI3_54.jpg

Northern armies invading Manchukuo and the small strip controlled by Japan

HoI3_51.jpg

17th Corps invading Taiwan

A few days after the Chinese invasion, Japan and Germany concluded their pact. Japan, although a bit surprised about the Chinese attack, assured Germany that they would set things right and no German forces were needed. With that said, China controlled the Taiwan straight only a few days after that and the island was fully taken on September 22nd.

HoI3_59.jpg

The Taiwan straight under Chinese control

After the success of Taiwan, China overestimated their strenght and especially the capabilities of their fleet, which was still very small compared to Japan. Due to that, Chiang ordered his forces to take the island of Okinawa. If successfull, it would be a massive blow for Japan, if not, Chiang could always blame his naval forces. Initially the assault did go well and the Chinese forces invaded the beaches from the south east. Twice the Japanese navy tried to repel the attack and the second time they were succesfull. China lost too many transport and escort ships to make another effort. This failure made it clear to Chiang he should invest much more in his navy in both resources and technology.

HoI3_60.jpg
HoI3_61.jpg
HoI3_63.jpg

The attempted invasion of Okinawa

As a response to the daring and failing attack on Okinawa, Emperor Hiroito ordered his navy and army high command to retake Taiwan. On September 29th Japan invaded Taiwan, ironically on the same beach as China did. Also in the south a marine division landed in Taiwan. Japan did manage to win a few battles and they were certainly not easily defeated, however, after two weeks the island was free again from Japanese troops.

HoI3_65.jpg
HoI3_66.jpg
HoI3_69.jpg
HoI3_70.jpg

2 Weeks of battles on Taiwan

Meanwhile in Europe

In Europe the war started in September 1939 with the invasion of Poland. German forces invaded their neighbours due to a so called provocation by the Polish forces along the border. Shortly after the invasion the Polish surrendered. Soon after Germany declared war on Denmark and the Danes were no match for the German forces. On October 9th the Danish government signed a peace treaty giving the land to Germany.

HoI3_62.jpg
HoI3_68.jpg

Poland and Denmark surrender

What an interesting turn of events with China being the aggressor :p. Taiwan is occupied but the Japanese backbone seemed to remain safe with their powerful navy. Occupying Manchukuo and Japanese territory on the continent would definitely put the Japanese at a bad position. Still, this war might last quite a while. Now I just need some popcorn.

Ah, so you waited until September '39 to make sure Germany was already at war. A good move indeed, that's what ruined my own last Nat.Chi. game.
Good job taking Taiwan, that should protect China's heartland from bombings and so on. But with the naval losses, will you be able to send a force against their islands soon, or is this going to be a long war?

Conquest of Manchuria – Part 1
October 15th, 1939 – January 1st, 1940

Earlier in 1939, China started building a secret underground rocket testing facility in the hills west of Chengdu, in the heart of China. The idea of Chiangs advisors was to build rockets that could reach Japan from Korea or perhaps even mainland China. The facility was completed on October 15th of the same year and used intensively to make the ambitions possible.

HoI3_71.jpg

Testing facility’s location

The Chinese 1st, 2nd and 3rd army were advancing quite rapidly. Japanese and Manchu forces constantly had to retreat and were outnumbered in every battle. The Chinese national propaganda to recruit soldiers fast worked and eventhough their training had been only a basic one, with so many soldiers, no one could resist them. In general you could say that the Chinese army had enough men that they used, on a somewhat larger scale, old Roman tactic where one corps fought a battle, while another corps was waiting and after that battle the second corps took over. This proved to work excellent and China was closing in on the capital of Manchukuo.
On October 20th the Japanese forces finally started to show some resistance at the battle of Jilingsi and after days of fighting, were victorious over China. Almost 5,000 Chinese soldiers lost their life, while Japan “only” suffered 1,600 men in that battle. Even more soldiers were wounded during the battle, but more importantly, Japanese morale was given a boost. More divisions used a firm “stand your ground” tactic and China lost a few more battles, but eventually quantity won over quality. Morale was broken again when 2 corps were encirclet and had to surrender after an intense battle along the Mongolian border. Japanese soldiers who weren’t killed, were send to POW camps.

HoI3_72.jpg

Frontline on October 15th

HoI3_73.jpg

Report of the Battle of Jinlingsi

HoI3_74.jpg

Japanese forces encirclet

HoI3_75.jpg

Eventhough training was very limited, combat experience grew rapidly

It was late October when the first cracks appeared in the Chinese army. It was not training or lack of experience nor the skills of the enemy that seemed to be a problem, mainly lack of supplies would cause more a threat to China. While the advance was going great, the infrastructure was insufficient and the supply lines were getting longer and longer. 1st Army, stationed in the south frontline, was the first to send out an alarm to high command and allthough they could not change it right away, orders were send to factories to produce more goods and convoys. The plan was to capture Dalian and its port so that supplies would be send over land and water. Untill that time, the advance, which was doing great at first, was slowed and it would not be untill December when Dalian was captured.

HoI3_77.jpg

Frontline October 26th, 1939

HoI3_78.jpg

Frontline November 8th, 1939

HoI3_79.jpg

Frontline November 27th, 1939

HoI3_80.jpg

Dalian captured on December 8th, 1939

Last edited:
What an interesting turn of events with China being the aggressor :p. Taiwan is occupied but the Japanese backbone seemed to remain safe with their powerful navy. Occupying Manchukuo and Japanese territory on the continent would definitely put the Japanese at a bad position. Still, this war might last quite a while. Now I just need some popcorn.

This last update is still ok, no popcorn needed. The next one will (hopefully) be more suitable for popcorn, beer etc. ;). The out of supplies thing could be a major problem if not something that could make me loose the war :blink:

Ah, so you waited until September '39 to make sure Germany was already at war. A good move indeed, that's what ruined my own last Nat.Chi. game.
Good job taking Taiwan, that should protect China's heartland from bombings and so on. But with the naval losses, will you be able to send a force against their islands soon, or is this going to be a long war?

Well, I was actually waiting for Japan to make the first move, but since they didn't, I decided to take matters into my own hands. As mentioned before, I have never initiated a war against Japan with Nationalist China, so everything I do now is basically for the first time as I do not know how the AI will react to certain events. Taiwan was strategically important for me to take for the same reason you mentioned :). The navy will be a pain and I have no clue if I will succeed in invading Japan itself. But we will see, I haven't played that far yet :D.

Conquest of Manchuria – Part 2: Siberian Winds
January 1940

Chiang was reviewing some reports while walking through his garden. It was a chilly day but there hardly was any wind and the sun was shining, so it was not too bad. He was thinking to himself that it was weeks when he send a last message to the British government. China had the ambition to join the Allies when Chiang was installed as commander and chief, yet a formal invitation never was received. While looking at his winter garden he could not help notice his anger was slowly filling his head and he promised himself that if he was not getting an invitation this month, he would make his own plan and Hong Kong would suffer the consquences. Just when he was about to throw away the reports in anger, his orderly called out to him.

”Sir! I have news from the frontline”

“Tell me.”

“The good news is, we are almost at the gates of Harbin.”

Chiang clearly annoyed let’s out a sigh.

“And what is the bad news?”

“I am afraid that except for a few divisions of 3rd Army, all divisions fighting in Manchuria have ran out of most supplies. There is hardly enough food and most are running low on ammunition too. Combined with a cold north-western wind, morale of the troops is wavering. Your leadership is requested and guidance needed!”

A brief silence followed after the ordely’s last words and Chiang closed his eyes and bowed his head down. A few seconds later he opens his eyes and looks towards the sky, clearing his thoughts. Then he turned his head towards the young man.

”Have Lin Sen and Chen Guofou meet me at my office. It is time for some drastic measures”

The orderly runs into the house as Chiang walks towards the house and before he enters, he turns his head one more time towards his garden and a grinn covers his face. An adjustment to the initial plan just popped up.

HoI3_83.jpg

Stagnation, January 1940

Later that day, Chiang, Lin and Chen met in Chiangs office.

”Gentlemen, we have reached a critical point where we need to make harsh decisions. Lin, I want you to invite the British ambassador and give him an ultimatum. I want an answer before the end of the month.”

“Yes, I will do as requested.”

As Lin was officially head of state, he would not reply with “sir” to Chiang, but unofficially, Chiang was the most powerfull man in China. Lin bowed to Chiang and left the office.

”Chen, where are we on our convoys and supplies?”

“Factories and dockyards are producing as much as they can, sir”

“It is not enough. I hear our armies are running out of ammunition and although I know our roads are the best in Manchuria, we need to increase our efforts. I want more results from you or you will be removed from your office. I hope I made myself clear. In addition, I want you to build transports and light cruisers and set it as highest priority!”

“Yes sir!”

“Now leave and send in my orderly!”

1280px-National_Government_of_the_ROC.jpg

KMT Headquarters in Nanjing

After the short meeting, Chiang send new orders to his general staff:

Code:
[indent][indent][center][FONT=Times New Roman]************TOP SECRET************ [/center]

Nanjing, January 10th 1940

Subject: Additional plans of Manchuria

To: General Staff of China

My dear gentlemen,

As reports indicate the advance of Manchuria is stagnating and measures need to be taken. Therefore I want all efforts put into preperations for invading the south of the Korean peninsula. 
Armamants Minister Chen has been given orders to make transports available and as soon as they are, let our finest reserve corps embark. 
If they control the harbor, let all our reserve corps along the coast board and disembark in Korea.

It is imperative to capture the port as soon as possible to make a decisive victory possible.

Sincerely,

Chian Kai-shek

[center]************TOP SECRET************[/FONT] [/center][/indent][/indent]

Allthough a few Generals objected, mainly due to lack of support from escorts, they started planning the attack. Meanwhile Foreign Minister Lin send for the British Ambassador and lectured him about the lack of communication from their side. The ambassador promised to contact London immediately and on January 14th China was invited to join the Allies, especially due to the great progress they made against Japan.

HoI3_81.jpg

China invited to the Allied Forces