• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, technically Japan is Always an Island empire, but yea this is silly....
Also, I see an actual German Afrikakorps with at least 3 armoured and 1 motorised divisions in Egypt! Holy shit the AI did it!

Sand..... sand..... and oh look…… more sand!
January 1943 – May 1943

After the major cities were captured in Egypt and the Italian army was forced back more and more, Chiang ordered his troops to cut off the Italians to give them a choice: surrender or take their chance wandering in the desert. When the Chinese forces tried to land west of El Alamein, the Italian Navy intercepted the Chinese forces. Admiral Chen Ce had luck on his side winning the sea battle and the troops landed safely in Libya, one heavy cruiser was lost in the event.

HoI3_194.jpg
HoI3_195.jpg
HoI3_196.jpg

Landing in Libya and battle at sea

In February, Chinese army encircled the remaining Italian forces that fought in Egypt and after an intense battle, they surrendered. In Libya only a few Italian forces remained and they had no intention to fight the Chinese and defend their African colonies. The biggest enemy in Africa for the Chinese forces was the desert. With hardly any real decent roads, the way to the west was open, but slow.

HoI3_200.jpg
HoI3_202.jpg
HoI3_207.jpg
HoI3_213.jpg
HoI3_214.jpg

Advance in Libya

During the attack in Libya, Great Brittain asked the support of China in regaining Malta. This small group of islands seemed to be of no importance but throughout history it proved to be of strategic importance. China answered the call for help and started the invasion. Italy again send ships, twice, to intercept China in an attempt to withold them from landing. Twice the Italian navy was defeated and China succeeded in liberating Malta.

HoI3_209a.jpg
HoI3_209.jpg
HoI3_210.jpg
HoI3_211.jpg
HoI3_212.jpg

Invasion of Malta and battle at sea

After Libya was under Chinese control, African Vichy France was next but spy reports indicated that there were no troops. To speed up the attack, Chiang ordered his navy to land near Tunis, Algers and Casablanca. Before the troops landed near Casablanca, Vichy France surrendered to the Chinese armed forces.

HoI3_216.jpg
HoI3_218.jpg
HoI3_219.jpg
HoI3_220.jpg

Overrunning Vichy France in Northern Africa

This was probably the dullest part of the game to play so far.

Well, technically Japan is Always an Island empire, but yea this is silly....
Also, I see an actual German Afrikakorps with at least 3 armoured and 1 motorised divisions in Egypt! Holy shit the AI did it!

Yes, they did it.... and still they manage to .... it up ;).

Nice progress in northern Africa. I love how AI Italy constantly harass you with small naval forces. I expected a stronger navy from Italy but I guess I overestimated them. Is there really anything slowing you down other than terrain?

Nice progress in northern Africa. I love how AI Italy constantly harass you with small naval forces. I expected a stronger navy from Italy but I guess I overestimated them.

I am actually a bit disappointed in how the AI works. Like you say, they attack on more occasions with small naval forces never able to win it from my considerable larger force. Why would they even try?!

Is there really anything slowing you down other than terrain?

Yes, boredom.

Target Europe: Sicily
May 1943

Tunis, May 7th 1943 – As the call for Friday prayer sounded over the rooftops, Chiang gathered his generals.

”Men, first of all, congratulations are in order. North Africa is now under Chinese control, the Middle East is free from faschists and the gate to Europe is wide open.”

The generals clapped their hands like obedient little boyscouts and after a minute or two they Chiang continued:

”I’ve bought some production licenses from the USA, UK and France to build some tanks, SPG’s and mechanized infantry. We will add some engineers ourselves because we need more firepower if we are to battle the Germans in Europe.

Sir, how, where and when will we strike?

I plan to start with Sicily first. Intelligence reports say there are not many Italian troops and we will send out a clear message when we succeed.

What about the Italian fleet, although the lost some battles at sea, they are still considered as a great naval power?

I am not worried about that. We’ve already shown to them we have a more than capable fleet ourselves. I think they are more afraid of us then we are of them. We will strike west of Siracusa in a week. This will ensure we can regroup our forces and the men deserve some rest after the campaign in the Middel East and North Africa.

YES SIR!”

The Generals saluted and moved out of Chiangs temporary office and a week passed when the first corps embarked and set sail to Sicily. Arriving in the middle of the night, the corps moved off the ship and onto the land without any problems. Another corps was picked up in Tunis and invaded the westside of the island close to Marsala. After walking around the island for two days and no encounters Chiang cried out: “Where the hell are they?!”. After 10 days the island of Sicily was under Chinese control without taking any casualty.

HoI3_222.jpg
HoI3_223.jpg
HoI3_225.jpg

China invades Sicily, Italy

Nothing? They had NOTHING on Sicily? Damn... I hope at least they try to defend the strait of Messina then....
You've got a good beachhead in Italy now, time to see how far north you can get before they organise a proper defensive line...

Nothing? They had NOTHING on Sicily? Damn... I hope at least they try to defend the strait of Messina then....
You've got a good beachhead in Italy now, time to see how far north you can get before they organise a proper defensive line...

There was not even 1 garrison! Hopefully the AI is offering at least some resistance in the rest of Italy...... but see next update in a few seconds for a first view of mainland Italy ;).

Target Europe: South Italy
May 1943 – july 1943

From the diary of a Italian soldier:

May 22nd, 1943 – South of Salerno

It was the end of our watch, the first glares of the morning sun were about to show themselves to the world. I was walking along the coast with brother in arms, Fabrizio. We were discussing the great night out with the rest of our platoon about two weeks ago when we scored with some nice local girls. We were on our last leave before all passes were revoked. Damn those Chinese for invading our homeland! I heard about them fighting in Africa from my brother who told me they are ruthless, but I just think it is a fairy tale. We will show them if they dare to set foot on the main land. Benito, our great leader, ensured us that together with our allies we will drive them back into the sea if they dare to land.

Fabrizio and I walked back to the garrison along the beach. The tide was high and small waves smashed themselves onto the sandy beach. We were about to turn our backs to the quiet sea when Fabrizio looked over his shoulder one more time to see the sun come up when he inhaled a lot of oxygen and shouted: “SHIPS! THE CHINESE ARE COMING!”.

On May 22nd, when China was still conquering Sicily, the first Chinese ships entered the shore. Scouts were send out to see where enemy troops were stationed and by nightfall they reported an Italian garrison was south-east and and Hungarian infantry was moving in the north. Salerno and its port was unprotected and while the fresh landed troops were about to move into Salerno, a second corps made a landing north of Napoli.

HoI3_224.jpg
HoI3_226.jpg

Landings of the Chinese army near Salerno and Napoli

In the few weeks after the initial landing, China obtained a decent stronghold with a great harbour from where they could easily expand to the south and towards the Adriatic sea first. This way an assault from the back would be avoided. However, Italian and Hungarian troops encircled the Chinse troops as fast as possible. A third corps dropped in from the tip of the Italian Boot and while they expanded to the north, other troops were imported and cut off the enemy making sure escape was not possible. Other ports along the coast were captured as soon as possible and in the end, the Italian, Hungarian and even Romanian troops had to surrender to the Chinese as resistance was futile. With the south of Italy secure, China moved to the north, onward to Rome.

HoI3_231.jpg
HoI3_233.jpg
HoI3_236.jpg

Expansions in June, 1943

Meanwhile, Germany was fighting it own war against the Soviet Union. Though Moscow was still far away, Leningrad was within reach and the road to Stalingrad in the south was wide open as the Soviets were utterly defeated there. A choice needed to be made; subdue the Soviet Union with the risk of loosing Italy or help defend Italy and risk loosing the war against the Soviets. The Fuhrer was troubled.

HoI3_239.jpg

Germany in Soviet Union

China once made a promise to Iraq and set it free. On the 9th of July, China kept it’s promise and Iraq was offered total freedom. Also, in July another order was placed with using licenses from Allies.

HoI3_235.jpg

HoI3_238.jpg

China kept his promise and new orders placed

Target Europe: Rome: Total War
July 1943 – September 1943

After the succesfull victory in the south of Italy, Chiang moved his troops to the north. Rome was already in sight and the Axis took the warning very serious. Italian, Hungarian and Romanian troops mainly formed the frontline defense. German soldiers were still nowhere to be found. For Chiang and his men it was the best situation as the non German Axis troops were considered inferior, while China was spending loads of money in developping and producing new technologies. Needles to say that the Chinese had one of the most modern infantry armies in the world with highly advanced tactics to fit the usage of new equipment. Throughout August, the resistance was more intense than ever before and eventhough China was still winning battles, more casualties were sustained. Fresh recruits were shipped in on a daily basis to keep the ranks filled.

In late August finally a breakthrough occurred and immediately the Chinese moved through in the hopes of encircling Rome, while still moving back other Axis troops. In the beginning of September Rome was encircled and Chines troops were send in to capture the Italian capital. With only a light tank division defending it, the battle was tough and lasted three days, but eventually, the Italians had to cease their resistance.

HoI3_241.jpg

Rome surrounded by China

HoI3_242.jpg

The battle of Rome

HoI3_243.jpg

Rome captured

Benito Mussolini was able to flee the capital before China took over and set up his HQ in Milan in the north of Italy. He send out an alarming message to the Germans and requested immediate reinforcements. In a log, which was found after the war, was written: “Everywhere you look, you see Chinese soldiers. I knew there were a lot of them, but this is impossible to defend because if you shoot down one of them, two are ready to take his place!”. The Fuhrer was not able to comply because the Soviets started their autumn offensive.

Chiangs 2nd Army Group was unstoppable and eventhough the Axis tried to slow down the Chinese steamroller, they could only move back to the north.

HoI3_244.jpg

China’s attack movement in Italy

I believe the root of problem is that human player is OP. We need to nerf the human :p. Next time, raise the difficulty and put more handicaps on yourself. Italy is a disappointment like Japan. Chances are Germany won't be a problem either with SU occupying one of their fronts.

Well, to be fair, it is Italy he is fighting after all, and they don't even know how to build proper divisions. But still, I love the Chinese invasion of Europe, let's see if you can keep up the pace once the Krauts send reinforcements ^^

I believe the root of problem is that human player is OP. We need to nerf the human :p. Next time, raise the difficulty and put more handicaps on yourself. Italy is a disappointment like Japan. Chances are Germany won't be a problem either with SU occupying one of their fronts.

I'll take that as a compliment ;). Raising the difficulty is an option, but is also dissappointing as it won't make the AI any smarter. I just hope HoI4 will be different in that sense.

yeah with the frontline that deep in SU GER probably don't have much troops home...

I actually fear the same thing.

Well, to be fair, it is Italy he is fighting after all, and they don't even know how to build proper divisions. But still, I love the Chinese invasion of Europe, let's see if you can keep up the pace once the Krauts send reinforcements
^^

How very true, the only thing the AI does seem to make historical accurate: Italian land forces suck :D. I'll be posting again about that probably after the weekend :rolleyes:

HoI3_247.jpg

Frontline moves to the north of Italy

Target Europe: Move North and the Corridor in the East
October 1943 – December 1943

After Rome was taken and with the high amount of casualties already taken in the Middle East, North Africa and southern Italy, Italy and its allies had trouble defending from the massive Chinese force. Drivin by victory over victory, China was unstoppable and the Golden Dragons, as the Chinese Army called themselves now, had a feeling of beeing invincible. Steadily the front moved towards Milan where Mussolini had set up his new headquarters. Help from Germany still was not even on its way and Italy knew it was fighting a loosing battle in it’s home country. In the Balkans their precense was immense and Greece, with the help of the UK, tried to free the Balkans from the fascists.

While the battle had moved from Asia to the west, Chinese scientists were working on a new source of energy and perhaps a new weapon which they could combine with the relatively new rockets: Nuclear fission. On October 4th the worlds first nuclear power plant was build close to Nanjing. Allthough still a testing facility on a minor scale, a few house blocks were powered by the facility.

HoI3_248.jpg

New nuclear facility near Nanjing

Athens was freed quite quickly, but with many Axis forces still moving around the Greek lands, the advance was stopped. China was asked to support their allies and soon send a corps to help their friends. China could not afford sending too much troops to Greece, otherwise their own advance could be in danger. Chiang called in more troops that were still occupying and defending Japan and Taiwan

HoI3_250.jpg
HoI3_254.jpg

China send support in Greece

On the 20th of October the assault on Milan began and low morale among the Italians caused them to flee the city the day after. This was the final battle in Italy and on the 23rd, Italy surrendered to China. Not all Italian troops ceased fighting, mainly in the Balkans the Italian presence remained, allthough smaller in size.

HoI3_253.jpg
HoI3_255.jpg

Germany was still moving east in the southern Russian front. But with China’s eminent threat, the Fuhrer had to call back a lot of divisions for the defense of the homeland. Chiang was annoyed with being so dependent on sea convoys for supplying the forces fighting in Europe. He wanted a land connection by building a decent road and railroad from Nanjing, through the high mountains of Tibet, to the Middle East so the convoys did not have to go to Asia. There was only one obstacle, China and the Middle East were not connected. Therefore he ordered an invasion in Afganistan.

HoI3_257.jpg

The German – Soviet war front

HoI3_258.jpg

Afganistan, the next victim and the corridor between east and west

Call it common sense or just being cautious, China was not about to rush into Germany like a mad man. Moving too fast, as China did in Manchuria, could cause troops being out of supplies again and against a well trained and equipped Army as Germany was, it could mean a defeat. The advance east of Switzerland would be a slow one, however west of Switzerland, into France, was supposed to be quick. For the first time in years, foreign troops set foot on German soil.

HoI3_259.jpg
HoI3_263.jpg

Invasion of France

HoI3_262.jpg

China sets foot in Germany

Target Europe: The Rise of France
December 1943 – February 1944

For Germany the first and formost objective was defending the Reich. Mostly defended by allies while troops were underway from the eastern front, China slowly advanced in Germany. Limited amount of Chinese troops east of Swiss-front and the threat of fighting in Germany, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, Chiang only wanted to capture Munich and hold the front while the rest of the Golden Dragons marched through France to open up a western front. In France resistance was very little and Chiangs army had no problem advancing to the north.

HoI3_264.jpg

Objective: Munich

HoI3_265.jpg

China spreads its wings in Europe

Meanwhile, Afghanistan was subdued quite easily with the very limited forces at its disposal. Chiang had his wish granted and contruction on infrastructure started right away.

HoI3_266.jpg

Surrender of Afghanistan

Chiang moved along with his troops through Italy and set up an HQ in Milan. From here he would lead the assault in Europe and could keep a close eye on the difficult front in the east, while easily handing out orders in the west. In his office, Chiang had a meeting with Charles de Gaulle, who was asked to lead France after being liberated. His request was to free Paris as soon as possible as it would lift morale among the French in a great deal. On January 15th Paris was freed from Germans and de Gaulle set up his office. Chiang handed over control over France from China to de Gaulle, who started production and training of troops right away, allthough it would take a great deal before they could make a difference.

Alltough Paris was liberated, there still were German troops present in France, mainly in the north west and north of France. These were driven out quite fast and by the end of February, France was fully under French control, thanks to the great Chinese army.

HoI3_267.jpg

France under French control again

HoI3_268.jpg
HoI3_269.jpg

China liberating the rest of France

A very rapid advance indeed, the Germans only now seem to start reacting to your invasion.
I hope the choice to liberate France so soon won't come back to haunt you, due to it cutting your supplylines. Let's hope Paris starts pumping out supplies for the Golden Dragons soon!

A very rapid advance indeed, the Germans only now seem to start reacting to your invasion.
I hope the choice to liberate France so soon won't come back to haunt you, due to it cutting your supplylines. Let's hope Paris starts pumping out supplies for the Golden Dragons soon!

Again the AI disappoints me by that very late response from Germany. Liberating France was actually a little bit too enthusiastic on my behalf. But then again, I make the mistake, so I should fix it. ;)

Also the rest of the Allies are very disappointing by doing virtually nothing.

Last edited:
Target Europe: Releasing the little ones
March 1944 – April 1944

With France now free from fascists and after a fast walk through Belgium. The small neighbour to the north was put under French supervision. In March 1944, China set foot in the Netherlands and France wanted to claim that territory for the time being as well. China’s response was a simple and firm “no”. Relations with the Netherlands were too good, especially due their resources from the East Indies, which China gratefully bought to produce military equipment. After Amsterdam was taken, the Netherlands were officially liberated and allthough not all provinces were liberated, it was only a matter of time.

HoI3_270.jpg

Small campaign in a small country

Due to withdrawing troops from the Russian front, the German advance in the Soviet Union was halted. For a long time Germany was mainly winning its battles against the Soviets, and now there were loosing more oftern but still could keep their ground. In Norway the UK, USA and Canada arrived to drive the Germans out of the Scandinavian country. In the Balkan countries, the British soldiers freed Yugoslavia, though were pushed back by the Germans who captured the country again and released Croatia as another ally.

HoI3_271.jpg

European map, late March, 1944

Chiang wanted a decisive victory over Germany and taking Berlin would be imperative for that to happen. With the strait between Copenhagen and Malmo heavily defended invading Stettin was not an option. Therefor taking objectives in Denmark would help a great deal. If the troops in the south and west would not advance fast enough, invading in the north should open up more opportunities. So the invasion of Denmark started and while the initial attack was no problem, German forces that passed by from the Russian front started to set up perimiter along the German – Danish border to offer fierce resistance.

HoI3_272.jpg

Invasion of Denmark

HoI3_273.jpg

Germany attacked from almost all sides

Target Europe: Sauerkraut und Bierfesten Chinese style
May 1944 – June 1944

The Fuhrer anticipated the Chinese move in Denmark and saw what the plan was. He ordered his troops to make a stand untill the last man would drop. Simply put, Denmark must not fall! Nonetheless, he did not anticipate, or at least not in time, the amount of troops that China had at its disposal. More Chinese forces were dragged from Asia and brought into Europe to help their brothers in arms free Europe of the fascists. By May 1st a long frontline from north to south was in both east and west. Germany basically had to do everything themselves because its allies proved not to be of any significance. Even when more troops moved from east to west, a Chinese mass attack could not be avoided.

HoI3_274.jpg

The western frontline

HoI3_275.jpg

”Heroes” of Norway

Germany was obviously outnumbered, but still the Chinese advance stagnated in the west and only slight progress was made in the south. German technology was more advanced and with an industry that was modernized already in 1936, they enjoyed the benefits for a long time. While China was still running around with infantry for about 98% of the land forces, Germany was riding around with mechanized infantry which were a lot stronger and far more deadlier. Real progress was made between the 10th and 18th of May, where the last German forces were driven out of Denmark and sought refuge in Sweden, while Berlin was getting closer.

HoI3_277.jpg

Western frontline halfway through May

HoI3_278.jpg

Denmark has its freedom back

HoI3_279.jpg

Berlin is in sight

As China was getting closer to Berlin, Germany intensified their counterattacks to try and repel the Chinese onslaught. Again, for the second time in Germany, the advance stagnated. Germany had no intention of surrendering that easily as they had been a great power since the start of the war. It wasn’t till the start of June when real progress was made and the German defenses were breached. On June 4th, the Chinese were at Berlin’s doorstep, a day later the attack was commenced and the day after that, the German captial was taken. After searching the Fuhrers bunker in Berlin, they found him, and a few other high ranked German leaders, dead. Marshal Rommel, as highest ranked officer of the German army, signed a peace treaty on behalf of the entire German armed forces on June 7th.

HoI3_280.jpg

June 5th, China attacks Berlin

HoI3_281.jpg

Berlin captured

HoI3_282.jpg

Germany surrenders, new government installed

HoI3_285.jpg

Spoils of war