• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, I thought Japan would have an edge in tech but I guess my assumption was wrong. So, what would increasing the difficulty do? Would Japan, in this case, have a lot more men and better tech?

Okay, I thought Japan would have an edge in tech but I guess my assumption was wrong. So, what would increasing the difficulty do? Would Japan, in this case, have a lot more men and better tech?

I believe the difficulty level don't give the enemy more manpower or leadership (which you use to research technologies and for officer ratio, FYI) but it gives combat bonuses to the enemy and/or maluses to the player.

Also, did I just see Italy marching into Iraq there? Is Britain getting it's ass kicked in the Med again?

I believe the difficulty level don't give the enemy more manpower or leadership (which you use to research technologies and for officer ratio, FYI) but it gives combat bonuses to the enemy and/or maluses to the player.

The answer is easily found on the internet ;)

Very Easy Difficulty

Manpower: +50%
Revolt Risk: -3%
Industrial Capacity: +50%
Resources: +50%
Supply Throughput: +100%
Naval Base Efficiency: +100%
Combat Efficiency: +40%
AI Industrial Capacity: -25%
AI Resources: -25%

Easy Difficulty

Manpower: +25%
Revolt Risk: -1%
Industrial Capacity: +25%
Resources: +25%
Supply Throughput: +25%
Naval Base Efficiency: +25%
Combat Efficiency: +20%

Normal Difficulty

Manpower: +0%
Revolt Risk: -0%
Industrial Capacity: +0%
Resources: +0%
Supply Throughput: +0%
Naval Base Efficiency: +0%

Hard Difficulty

Industrial Capacity: -10%
Resources: -10%
Supply Throughput: -25%
Naval Base Efficiency: -25%
Combat Efficiency: -20%
AI Industrial Capacity: +25%
AI Resources: +25%
AI Supply Throughput: +25%
AI Naval Base Efficiency: +25%

Very Hard Difficulty

Industrial Capacity: -25%
Resources: -25%
Supply Throughput: -50%
Naval Base Efficiency: -50%
Combat Efficiency: -40%
AI Industrial Capacity: +100%
AI Resources: +100%
AI Supply Throughput: +50%
AI Naval Base Efficiency: +50%

Also, did I just see Italy marching into Iraq there? Is Britain getting it's ass kicked in the Med again?

Very keen eye you got there. That is correct and I guess I have to save the day because who else will do it? USA is less likely to joing the war with Japan out of the picture.

Planning and redeployment
April 1941 – September 1941

Chiang assembled his general staff for a debriefing and for future campaigns.

”Gentlemen, I congratulate you on your success in Japan. We’ve had our sweet revenge for the humiliation of 1895, reclaimed our lands and once again we control Korea and Japan. Perhaps we will return them to tribute states, but let’s make sure they cause no problems anymore.”

A brief moment of applause followed. Then Chiang continued

”Marshals and generals, I want you to plan an invasion of Siam, which should be fairly easy but I also received a telegram from the British asking us for help. As it seems, our power has not gone unnoticed and they finally value us for it instead of a nation for cheap labour.”

The genaral staff was listening to Chiang as if he was telling a bedtime story to his children. Focussed and waiting for the plot to reveal itself.

”I want you to see if we are able to reach the Persian Gulf from here and plan to take the Middle East from the Italians. We have to knock them out of the war first before we charge Germany. I am confident that we are able to pull this off. Make all nescessary arrangements and precautions. I want to invade Siam and set sail to the Middle East before Octobre starts. Failure is not an option.”

HoI3_101.jpg

Planned invasion of Siam

HoI3_111.jpg

Planned invasion in the Middel East

Technology

This list is taken from secret KMT reports and tell us more about the techlevels in China, September 1941.

HoI3_113.jpg
HoI3_134.jpg

HoI3_135.jpg
HoI3_136.jpg

HoI3_137.jpg
HoI3_138.jpg

HoI3_139.jpg
HoI3_140.jpg

HoI3_141.jpg
HoI3_142.jpg

HoI3_143.jpg
HoI3_144.jpg

With Japan gone, there doesn't seem to be any real threat to China home soil now. It's a shame that things went so smoothly when we were hoping for a bigger challenge for you. Still, you won a decisive victory over the greatest enemy of China and you deserve a ... cookie. When will you attack SU?

Onwards to the world?

I don't know yet, but I'm going to say no upfront. I think I made a mistake to have joined the Allies, on the other hand, I could make them work for me ;). Let's start with the Middle East first, then probably North Africa and after that head for Mediterranean Europe. I think that will be a struggle by itself, not to mention taking on Germany.

With Japan gone, there doesn't seem to be any real threat to China home soil now. It's a shame that things went so smoothly when we were hoping for a bigger challenge for you. Still, you won a decisive victory over the greatest enemy of China and you deserve a ... cookie. When will you attack SU?

I was hoping for a bigger challenge from Japan as well, but hey, it does open up other opportunities. When and where can I collect my cookie? ;)
Soviet Union will have to wait. I am hoping Germany will still declare war on them first, if so, it would help me greatly. If they don't, then I will have to see if I will be able to manage an attack on them.

How to control South-East Asia
October 1941 – December 1941

The ambitions Chiang Kai-shek had to invade Siam, still Japans puppet, and set sail for the Middle East appeared to be a bit too much. The Chinese army had to march to the Siam border first, which in itself was not easy when the majority of the march was through dense jungle. Although the men were very good equipped, it took too long and by the time the border was reached, it was already October. Chiang’s plan on invading the Middle East was to be postponed. His only fleet was too busy transporting troops from the north to Saigon and there simply was no time to transport troops from China to the Arab Emirates. The main plan was to strike the Axis from there, through Bagdad on to Jordan, Palestine and end up in the Sinai desert.

HoI3_145.jpg

Chinese troops move into position

For Siam fresh and unexperienced troops were ready and eager to move in and it was late October when the declaration of war on Siam was issued by China. Siam had not an army of decent size to provide any sort of resistance. The actual hard part was cutting their way through the jungle again to reach some civilized areas. Bangkok was reached in about a week or two and the only resistance was two MP divisions which fled the scene without a single shot fired according to Chinese propaganda. In reality there was a short fight, but not really worth mentioning. The Siam government managed to flee to the north first though Chinese troops were also advancing to that direction and after that, they fled to the south west of Bangkok. Eventually they had to cease their resistance and surrender to the mighty Chinese army.

HoI3_146.jpg

Chinese troops moving in

HoI3_147.jpg

The defense of Bangkok is ridiculous

HoI3_148.jpg
HoI3_149.jpg

Chinese advances in Siam

HoI3_153.jpg
HoI3_155.jpg

Siam surrenders on November 10th, 1941 and a few Japanese troops try to resist

HoI3_157.jpg

China, December 1941

During the campaign in Siam, Germany declared war on the Soviet Union. According to Chiang, timing was very bad. He had his own plans with the Soviet Union and especially Mongolia and also Tannu Tuva. Both had no real strategic value nor great resources, but for sentiments-sake they needed to be included in the new Chinese Empire. When Chiang informed his ministers and High Command about his secret ambitions, few had doubts. Not so much about the ability of the army nor the confidence in the capabilities of China as a whole, but more about Chiang who started to sound more and more like a despot. Some thought Chiang would crown himself as the new Emperor of China.

HoI3_150.jpg

Soviet’s response to the DoW by Germany

HoI3_158.jpg

China’s defense along the Soviet and Mongolian border

After the victory over Siam, Chiang travelled to southern Siam to the main port there. He would lead the assault on the Middle East and took control over Army Group 2 and he would start out with 6th Army. These men had seen a lot of combat in Manchuria and proved themselves, also the generals were redistributed to support the invasion with experienced leaders. In December Chiang and one corps set sail to the Emirates in order to invade the Middle East. Help for the Allies was on the way.

HoI3_160.jpg
HoI3_161.jpg

Troops ready waiting to embark and Field Marshal Chiang Kai-shek, an experienced military leader

Last edited:
Hmmm, Photobucket is being a pain :(. I cropped/ cut everything and it's not showing now.

Sounds like there might be some discontent within the government. Not sure if anything will come out of it but it would be nice to have an internal struggle. It's a shame that there isn't a guerrilla warfare option since that would make the complete conquest of places like Siam that much harder. Time to see the Chinese campaign in Middle East.

When and where can I collect my cookie? ;)
Here's your cookie :p.
photo.jpg

So now the experienced Chinese troops will throw Italy out of Africa? Sounds like a plan.

It's a shame that there isn't a guerrilla warfare option since that would make the complete conquest of places like Siam that much harder.

He's going to face some rebellions there if he doesn't garrison it, but probably nothing to worry about. Governments-in-exile can deploy mass uprisings, which can have devastating effects if done properly. Imagine the eastern front raging deep in Russia and all of Poland revolting. German supplylines would be cut and the whole army would starve...

Sounds like there might be some discontent within the government. Not sure if anything will come out of it but it would be nice to have an internal struggle. It's a shame that there isn't a guerrilla warfare option since that would make the complete conquest of places like Siam that much harder. Time to see the Chinese campaign in Middle East.

Here's your cookie :p.
photo.jpg

Tasty! :D

I've been playing all evening last night and the Middle East proved to be.... interesting. I'll post an update as soon as possible.

So now the experienced Chinese troops will throw Italy out of Africa? Sounds like a plan.

He's going to face some rebellions there if he doesn't garrison it, but probably nothing to worry about. Governments-in-exile can deploy mass uprisings, which can have devastating effects if done properly. Imagine the eastern front raging deep in Russia and all of Poland revolting. German supplylines would be cut and the whole army would starve...

Yes, the plan is to knock out Italy first out of Africa and Greece, Italy will follow after that I hope. It will be hard enough as Germany will probably come to their aid and I have no idea yet how well I will do with my infantry-only army against the heavily combined arms army from Deutschland. The positive side however is that they are also in conflict with the SU, which will take a lot of their attention so I have to exploit that.

So far I have had 1 uprising, so it is not too bad. I have 1 army stationed in Japan permanently and a few corps in South-East Asia to suppress any rebellions.

Prince of Persia
January 1942 – June 1942

Up untill then everyone assumed China would invade Iraq or Kuwait and save them from the Italian fascists. It came as a shock and surprise when China declared war on, up to that point neutral, Persia. The Persian army was not prepared for an invasion, especially not from China and not to mention, from the Persian Gulf. When the Chinese forces landed, no army was to be seen and the port of Bandar Abbas was easily taken. 6th Army, lead by Chiang Kai-shek gained a firm foothold though there was one problem. The port was very small, not beeing able to process large (quantities of) ships that would visit the port very soon, nor would it be able to do repairs on damaged warships and transports of such occasion would arise. Chiang ordered the immediate expansion of the port as it would be the main supply port for the Chinese campaign in the Middle East. After the declaration of war, Persia joined the Axis and called in the help of nearby Italian forces.

HoI3_164.jpg
HoI3_165.jpg
HoI3_166.jpg

Invasion and securing the port

After the invasion Chiang sat in his temporary office overlooking the construction in the port of Bandar Abbas when his general command in the Middle East walked in.

”Gentlemen, please do come in. Let me start by saying well done on the invasion and capturing the port. I know all of you were not aware and I may have been a bit misleading but secrecy of my plan was top priority. Any leak could have alarmed the Persians and would result in the unnescessary loss of soldiers. Now we were able to capture the port without any loss of life. Congratulations are in order and I will now involve you in the rest of my plan. Intelligence reports say the Persian army is moving in the east and north, troops along the Iraqi border seem to be ordered to stay there. I want a division to cut off the retreating troops in the east and after that, attack the pocket created. The rest of the corps will hold our ground here. A second corps is on the way and should be here any day now. They will secure our positions here. When more corps arrive, we will march to Tehran and expand slowly to the north and west. We have to be weary for any Italian troops. According to our British friends, they are not as strong and organized as the Germans, but ironically our friends were not able to stop them in Egypt.”

HoI3_167.jpg
HoI3_168.jpg

Chiangs orders being carried out exactly as planned – January 1942

In Februari the first Italian troops were spotted, well, Italian? A German tank division in Italian service tried to cut off the troops that was moving to Tehran. The rough terrain, arid desert or simply lack of decent roads slowed down the Chinese advance most of the time. A Chinese soldier even said that these roads were worse then in China. Capturing Tehran was easy and soon after that, on 21st of April Persia surrendered to China.

HoI3_169.jpg

German troops in Italian service fighting on Persian soil

HoI3_170.jpg
HoI3_171.jpg

Tehran captured and the surrender of Persia

Even Persia out of the picture, the battle was still ongoing. Italian soldiers stationed in Iraq answered the call for help from Persia and entered the west to protect the people and hopefully to withstand any assaults long enough for more help to arrive. The German panzers and even heavy panzers did slow down the process but could not stop China’s advance and in June China took it’s first steps in Iraq.

HoI3_172.jpg

China in Iraq

As it seems the edited images on photobucket take some time to refresh, so smaller sized images are incoming......

Last edited:
Looks like you've got a good foothold in Persia now, great. The counterattack on Axis Europe has begun :)
If photobucket is a problem, you could try www.imgur.com

Rumble in Beiping
June 1942 – September 1942

June 16th, 1942 – Lin Sen, who officially was the head of state and minister of foreign affairs, was sitting in a restaurant in Beiping, not far from the Forbidden City. While he was eating a nice meal with a few fellow politicians he started to cough real bad as if he was chocking on his food. His eyes started to roll backwards and he fell from his chair reaching for his throat. Other guests in the restaurant were shocked by this view and some tried to help him, to no avail. A few seconds after it all started Lin stopped moving and a little bit of a white substance moved from his mouth down his cheek. Lin died under very suspicious circumstances though no one could tell who was responsible although many had a pretty good idea. When the news reached Chiang, who still was in Persia at that time, officially offered his services as the new head of state. No member of parliament objected and the edict was issued three days later. Wang Chonghui, a friend of Chiang, assumed the office as minister of foreign affairs.

HoI3_173.jpg

The new political view of China on June 19th, 1942

Even with the two most important offices and now considered a main target for basically every Axis soldier, Chiang had no intention to step down as leader of the Middle Eastern Assault. Better yet, he moved his headquarters more closer to the front where China gained a lot more terrain and halfway through July the most important cities in Iraq were already under Chinese control. China was not willing to set the Iraqies free, not yet. He promised them to free them after the Middle East was completely under Allied control. Chiang ordered a fresh arrived corps to make a daring invasion in the south east of Egypt. After landing, the corps was to move to the north and capture the other side of the Suez Channel. This would save a lot on transporting the army to the front. Either the transports had to go around Africa or they had to disembark in the port of Basra and do the rest on foot. Either option was not ideal. The corps did land and claimed quite some territory but without a decent supply line and the distance to the nearest port north proved the landing was a failure. The Chinese soldiers were eventually captured by the Italians.

HoI3_174.jpg
HoI3_175.jpg
HoI3_176.jpg

Advance in Iraq, the daring landing and the objective

Officially Vichy France was not an Axis member, but every Allied member knew they were under German control. With Syria so close, this could be an Axis base to recapture the Middle East. Therefor Chiang ordered his troops that fought in the northern part of Iraq to invade Syria after Iraq was again in Allied hands.
With a lot of headquarters and hardly any soldiers defending Syria, the Chinese army could just walk through the lands without taking any casualties.

HoI3_177.jpg
HoI3_178.jpg
HoI3_179.jpg
HoI3_180.jpg

Advance in Iraq and Syria

Japan, although defeated, still had a base in the Pacific ocean and was actively recruiting rebels on the mainland. In September a group of Rebels rose up in French Indo Chine and were put down quite fast by an corps that was actually on route to the Middle East while passing by the rebellions. Needles to say that the Japanese rebels lacked timing.

HoI3_181.jpg

Japan’s desperate attempt

Looks like you've got a good foothold in Persia now, great. The counterattack on Axis Europe has begun :)
If photobucket is a problem, you could try www.imgur.com

Yup and I am not confident it will be an easy task to free Europe from the Germans. The buggers hit my forces hard, but then again, I like the challenge ;). Thanks for the link sebas!

From Pharaoh’s to Atlas – Part 1
October 1942 – December 1942

The war against Italy and Germany made it perfectly clear that China had enough soldiers but lacked the proper equipment if it was to win the battle in Europe. Especially the German tanks were very powerfull and China only met a fraction of Germany’s power in the Middle East. A more powerfull defense was to be expected in Europe. As a trial, China ordered some armor units among its allies in the hopes of finding more suitable and powerfull attack equipment.
After the debacle in southern Egypt, China faced an old enemy again, lack of supplies. The ports in Persia and the lack of decent infrastructure was the main cause. With Syria captured a more decent opportunity presented itself, however, conquering the Suez Canal was imperative. Britain send in more forces and their submarines patrolled the area. Chiang wanted to test the capabilities of his only fleet and send them, including a full corps, to Gibraltar first. After that, the fleet was to move across the Mediterranean and set foot in Syria. From there a few landings were planned on the other side of Suez Canal.

HoI3_183.jpg

French and British equipment for China in production

HoI3_182.jpg

Closing in Italians

HoI3_188.jpg
HoI3_189.jpg

Corps and fleet in Gilbraltar and in Syria

HoI3_190.jpg

China safely landed east of Alexandria

Meanwhile, Japan thought it was a very good idea to gain some territory again. On the 5th of November they declared war on the Netherlands, who still controlled the Dutch East Indies, and a day later, they declared war on the USA. Germany was not amused with these actions, especially not the second one.

HoI3_185.jpg
HoI3_187.jpg

Are they serious?!

With the fleet finally operating in the Mediterranean, it was much easier to gain control of the Suez Canal. After the initial landing, and capturing Alexandria, more corps were shipped and attack the Italians from the rear while holding off the Italians coming in from the west. Late December 1942 the Suez Canal was under Allied control again which certainly helped the supply issue China faced earlier.

HoI3_192.jpg

Expanding in Egypt

HoI3_193.jpg

Late December Suez canal was captured

the event chain is clearly broken as Japan is ... already defeated but still declaring war?

How could you say that? They are not defeated. They have a load of small islands in the Pacific ;)

HoI3_186.jpg

Whole HoI3 is broken. It is so sad how easily N. China can conquer Japan. Otherwise a good AAR.

Thanks, though I would not call it easy, the AI could have done a lot of other things and defeat me. Better said, I would have done things very different if I was Japan. I hope they will fix it with HoI4.