• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Joint IC post. @delpiero1234 and me.))

((Dublin, 1467))

A crowd was gathering before the mansion at Dublin. Walpole had an important announcement for the populace.

“The famine cannot be helped, at least not until the next harvest season. I shall be going to London to make a deal about food imports, and how gifted food shall be distributed in Ireland. Thousands have died across Ireland, and I shall make a deal to limit the famine, but it’s not guaranteed that food will be affordable. Food shall mostly be limited to bread and soup for the deal, and it shall not be much due to the weak harvest in England, but food shall become cheaper, but for now try to save any food you have. I shall leave now. May God be with you all.”

Walpole left for Glamorganshire, due to finding Gloucestershire too risky, from where he would take a carriage to London.

((In London))

Count Walpole: Your Majesty, I have come to make a deal on food imports to Ireland, to combat the ongoing famine.

Queen Elizabeth: Such a tragedy, this famine.

Count Walpole: The people of the Irish cities are starving to death, while the farmers are barely coming by with what little of their harvest didn’t fail.

Queen Elizabeth: Do you believe that God is punishing the Irish?

Count Walpole: I don’t. I believe that this is a test to see how we would react to such a crisis.

Queen Elizabeth: By ‘we’ you surely mean the Irish? After all, the harvests here in England were not as poor as they were in Ireland. I have received spiritual council which claimed that this famine is a punishment. Do you remember how the Irish earls refused to bend the knee? The late king had to conquer them by force.

Count Walpole: The Irish earls were stubborn to not acknowledge England as the greater state and take the offer to become vassals of our state, and they suffered for it. Their resistance cost Ireland at least ten thousand lives. The famine could very well be a punishment for their stubbornness.

Elizabeth looked confused

Queen Elizabeth: So you do believe it is a punishment then? Just a moment ago you said the contrary.

Count Walpole: I simply hadn’t looked at it that way.

Queen Elizabeth: Now that your mind is clear on that matter, you could tell me why you are here.

Count Walpole: I came here to renegotiate food imports, mainly to increase the amount that would be sent to Ireland.

Queen Elizabeth: What do the Irish need most of? Oats?

Count Walpole: Yes, oats.

Queen Elizabeth: You are aware that the Crown’s financial situation is still not ideal? Ximeno Arantxez has done good work but the treasury is limited. We can provide Ireland with a few shipments of oats and wheat. Otherwise, we risk a famine also here in England.

Count Walpole: Maybe we could send some ships to the Baltic to buy grain there, the harvest there has been better than here.

Queen Elizabeth: The Baltic? The Hanseatic League has a trade monopoly in that region and I fear our merchants cannot reach Riga without stopping in Lübeck.

Count Walpole: Are there any known cities in Denmark that isn’t part of the Hanseatic League?

Queen Elizabeth: The Danish?! Do you want to send those merchants to an early death?

Elizabeth was quite shocked by the count’s proposal, after all the Danish were England’s fierce rival which he seemed to have forgotten. She wondered if Count Walpole was qualified for such negotiations if his brain could not distinguish friends from foes.

Count Walpole: Do we have any other options? The Norwegians hate us after our invasion and all neutral cities in Sweden lie in the far north of the country. We could consider going to Arnhem, which has access to the extremely fertile lands of the Betuwe.

First the Baltic now Arnhem. It seemed like this count was clearly lost in his thoughts.

Queen Elizabeth: So you want to sail first to the Baltic to get grain there and then to Arnhem? How about we try to sail with a fishing boat from Dover to Constantinople.

Count Walpole: I’m thinking of the places were food is abundant. The lands of the betuwe are very fertile.

Queen Elizabeth: Enough! The Crown will send some shipments of oats and grains to Cork. There is nothing else we can do. If you believe there is cheap grain available in Arnhem then I won’t stop you from sailing there.

Count Walpole: As you wish your Majesty.

Queen Elizabeth: You are dismissed, Count Walpole.

Elizabeth returns to her private chambers after having received this Irish count who came to her with odd proposals. It was God’s will to punish the Irish, she was convinced of that.

Count Walpole went back to Dublin where he would send some ships to import grain to Dublin.

Reactions:
The British Security Agency (BSA)

The BSA will be a government funded agency that will have the responsibility of uncovering, and destroying plots for assasinations and treason towards the state, as well as uncovering enemy spies.
It has the right to use violence if neccesary.

((If we get it ingame, it's bonus would be +25% spy defence, but cost 6 duckats to maintain yearly. and it would cost a lot of money.))
((An address to the assembly following Walpole's suggestion))
As the establishment of an entirely new agency could be expensive, I would propose that the agency be a division of the military. After all, it could be more efficient for arresting potential traitors if they can contact the rest of the military more easily.

-Oliver Talbot

((Quoting Wapole's suggestion is quite buggy. I'll fix it soon.))

Last edited:
((An address to the assembly following Walpole's suggestion))
As the establishment of an entirely new agency could be expensive, I would propose that the agency be a division of the military. After all, it could be more efficient for arresting potential traitors if they can contact the rest of the military more easily.

-Oliver Talbot
Sir Talbot, Do you not think the military ought to spend it's manpower elsewhere? War on the mainland is inevitable, and we are still recovering. If the dastardly French attempt an attack of opportunity, we will need all the men we can get.

Reactions:
WIlhelm was in his Office, talking with von Speier.

Von Speier: So, we would have the chance to have our own building?

WIlhelm: It is very possible, it depends if the Master of coin approves the expenses-

Von Speier: Why? We just need the Queen open her coffins and give us the money.

Wilhelm: Dummkopf! I explained to you that things in England are handled different. You say you're from Mainz but i think you are really from Friesland.

Before Von Speier had the chance to reply that strange German insult, one of the assistant came and told Wilhelm that some Foreigner wanted to talk to him. When he went out, he saw Ignazio Farias, the Medici agent that helped him to present his law in the Assembly.

Wilhelm: Ignazio! What are you doing here? I thought you were in Venice.

Ignazio: Not anymore my friend, I made some good money and i decided to establish here permanently. I moved with all the family and we want to invite you to our house.

Wilhelm needed to rest a bit of work and Von Speier knew what to do, so he could leave for a while. He went to Ignazio's House and shared a good time with all ignazio's family, especially with Ignazio's sister Laura, who Wilhelm found very charming and intelligent. Some months later, they'll get married with the Blessing of Ignazio. All this changes in Wilhem's life make him reconsider where his life was going and how he wanted to be remembered, as another boring Bureaucrat mentioned once in the footnotes of the history books only bought by Printing enthusiasts read or maybe as something else? Then he remembered the recent findings of Henry Fredrick Wolfe. That was , he could be like Ulyses in the Odyssey or Jason, he would have the chance to see the Abyss of the World and surely someone will write tales about his travels.

Your Excellency,

I may understand if you get confused after reading this letter, the impulses of the heart are never easy to understand. After some meditation, i decided to retire myself from the diplomatic career once it became clear to me that my real desire is to expand my Knowledge of the world, not by sitting on a desk in the university or reading a book but by a more direct approach.
This doesn't mean i forgot of my obligations, i have explained Von Speier all the things he need to know, he may be a bit rude but he's a capable man. As for my place as your assistant, i believe there are much better men than me for the job and i believe you will find someone capable .

I thank you for your consideration in the past and i desire you well being in the future.
Wilhelm Hayk

Last edited:
Sir Talbot, Do you not think the military ought to spend it's manpower elsewhere? War on the mainland is inevitable, and we are still recovering. If the dastardly French attempt an attack of opportunity, we will need all the men we can get.
Although manpower is of course necessary for the army, I would point out that the intelligence branches would probably be hiring men who would not join the soldiery so it should not damage our manpower reserves. Also, the intelligence branches could assist the Kingdom of England against possible French attacks if we can monitor them more accurately.

Although manpower is of course necessary for the army, I would point out that the intelligence branches would probably be hiring men who would not join the soldiery so it should not damage our manpower reserves. Also, the intelligence branches could assist the Kingdom of England against possible French attacks if we can monitor them more accurately.
I see... but such an agency would be more concerned with internal affairs, I suggest a separate spy agency concerned with keeping track of our enemies troop movements and plans. We're military men, we should leave internal affairs to those more inclined for it.

((joint IC with @delpiero1234 , @Sancronis and @ThePatriotOfDreumel ))

Ximeno Arantxez stands up as the shareholders come to the headquarters. ‘Welcome to the STC meeting.The future of the company is at stakes here, and as Master of the Coin, I feel that it is necessary to make a change in leadership should the trade company contiune to exist. No criminal shall lead a royally supported company. Any candidates?’

Henry Walpole: ‘I would support making it officially a state owned company, with leadership in the hands of the council.’

Ximeno: ‘This is an intriguing proposal. But the state owns only 25% of the shares. A good amount, yes, but making it more to achieve control would likely hurt the trust of the investors - and actions of the STC would be directly accounted to the kingdom, what, believe me -’ Ximeno thought of his policies in Spain - ‘would give cause for political trouble. Yes, Lord Talbot?’

Oliver Talbot: ‘Mayhaps the STC and the EBC could be united into one strong company. It seems to be that the nation’s economy would benefit greatly from one strong trading company instead of two competing ones’.

Ximeno: ‘We are not competing. Our markets are different. But I would support your decision. Only this would raise the question which company should lead this fusion? As Head of the EBC, I of course support myself, but as Master of the Coin, I’d be skeptical if this is such a good idea to leave much economical power in the hands of one company. Besides, our charters are very different.’

Thomas Lancaster: 'The Crown does not support the proposed plan from Oliver Talbot. The two companies should remain separated. However, we do believe that turning the STC into a Crown-owned company would be a wise decision.'

Ximeno: 'Then we’d have to think of the current shareholders. Would the crown just control most of the shares, or would all shares be bought? A significant investment that is not easy to make.’

Thomas Lancaster: 'The Crown would only require a 51% majority of all shares. The Morgans are criminals and we could take over their shares. This would give us enough stocks.'

Henry Walpole: 'I know that 20% of all profits are going to Alexander Bloodstone, maybe we could take away some of his shares?'

Ximeno: 'Last thing I heard was that he disappeared during a trade mission. As he seems to have no heir to take over, the crown could declare him dead and inherit the shares - if he does show up later, this cause problems along the line. Confiscating the Morgans’ shares is without a doubt possible though.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'I believe we can declare Alexander Bloodstone as dead. Should he show up he can be compensated. That would give the Crown 45% shares; means we need 6% more. Either we confescate those from Morgan or we have to buy them from one of the other shareholders.'

Oliver Talbot: 'Mayhaps I am mistaken, but was Morgan not charged with slander? A crime that carries a prison sentence and title privileges being removed? It does not seem just that his posessions should be confiscated without legislation that permits such an act.'

Ximeno: 'As merchant, I can tell you that forgery is a very serious crime. But you raise a valid point, Lord Talbot. As Master of the Coin, I cannot ignore these concerns. Though I am willing to propose another solution: The Crown won’t take over the majority of the shares - the Morgans didn’t have it either, and still we are debating who should own the STC now instead of them. We canl just transfer ownership from the Morgans to the crown, keeping the current share situation.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'The Crown believes it’s best to turn the STC into a state-owned trading company. We can offer the Morgans a deal to get out of prison sooner in return for their shares.'

Henry Walpole: 'I would be willing to transfer my shares to the crown, bringing the amount up to 50%. But, I will still keep the privilege of 50% of all profits made in Ireland. Furthermore, if the Morgans are released, I request that the crown will keep an eye on them, since they already tried to have me executed before, and I’m almost certain that they want me killed, no matter how they do it.'

-Ximeno smiles, considering that the STC has almost no business in Ireland, but keeps it to himself- he says: 'We should discuss the new leadership before we think of the transfer. The STC will not continue to exist if we don’t deal with that matter. The ownership can wait. As Head of the EBC, I know many Londoner businessmen, some of them in their business with Hanseatic merchants thanks to the Foreign Trade Act, who know the market and are well suited to take over leadership. I would propose to elect one of them, should we find no better candidate.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'Walpole’s request is denied.'

After some thinking and calculating, Ximeno comes to a conclusion: 'If the crown declares Bloodstone as dead and takes over his shares, then it is majority share holder and can therefore be considered owner of the STC. As long as no other investor claims the other shares, this should be sufficient to satisfy the crown’s demands as well as set an example to all future traders. Criminals lose their companies as a further punishment.'

Oliver Talbot: 'I believe I can offer a simple solution here. So as to avoid the crown possibly needing to negotiate with a criminal, I would offer them my ten percent with nothing in return. I imagine this is suspicious, however I assure you it is simply a different goal that has come with age. I wish to support my liege instead of bettering my own position.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'If only all the Crown’s subjects were as wise as Count Talbot. Then the matter is settled.'

Ximeno shakes his head, almost not perceivable. Fools, he thinks. Yet he has to conclude the meeting: 'So that concludes the question of ownership. We have to elect a new company leader then.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'With the Crown owning now the majority of the shares, I believe we can nominate a new head.'

Ximeno: 'The Charter of the STC is not very clear in that matter, but votes are distributed after the shares, so I think that the crown’s candidate, with the majority of the votes, 55%, behind him, will be appointed. Then who is your choice, Sir Thomas?'

Thomas Lancaster: 'I believe the position shall be held by whoever is Master of Coin, a position currently held by Ximeno Arantxez.'

Henry Walpole: 'I can agree with that.'

Oliver Talbot: ‘Although I would consider it unwise to have the two trading companies held by the same person, I am sure that there are men who are more skilled in economic matters than I, so I shall trust their opinion’. Whilst speaking, Oliver would be looking at Thomas.

Ximeno: 'Me? You certainly honour me with that choice, Sir Thomas. But I already have a lot to do, from the EBC to the office of Master of the Coin to which I devote my full attention. Though if this is what the company, and therefore also the crown wants, I can of course not decline it. And as it worked with the Morgans before after their forgery and slander, I am sure that a capable replacement can do everyday business while I am not capable of it.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'Yes, that is no problem at all. You can appoint someone to do the day to day business for you. The responsability of the company’s success rests with the office of Master of Coin though.'

Ximeno: 'I can of course understand that. I have already proven with the EBC that some nudges from the leadership are enough to set a company on the right course.’ He pauses for a while.
‘That would be all I wanted to ask for. Any further concerns towards the STC? If not, then I believe we can all go to celebrate this fruitful conclusion with a nice meal and wine.’

Thomas Lancaster: 'I propose that the STC shall be renamed. First of all, the late king, my brother, had requested a name change which had been ignored by the Morgans. Moreover, the company is no longer Scottish but royal. Royal Trading Company seems a more fitting name, or not?'

Oliver Talbot: 'Mayhaps the Royal English Trading Company?'

Ximeno: 'Considering the focus on the East, I believe Eastern English Company, or a much better name taking this into account, would fit.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'Royal English Trading Company seems like a fitting name, thank you for the suggestion, Count Talbot.'

Ximeno: 'Then I will proceed with the administrative matters. I believe I have some good drop waiting for consumation at my residence.'

Thomas Lancaster: 'Ximeno, thank you for organizing this meeting.'

As he had said, some excellent wine awaited the shareholders of the new RETC at his Londoner residence. As they left shortly after, Arantxez was left wondering. Didn't go too bad, could have gone better though. And now, he is head of the RETC as well. He sighs. Well, for his personal profits, it hardly could have gone better, but for his time, hardly worse... Anyway, he would see what is the current plan of the STC. Then change it for the RETC, considering how best not to get into conflicts with his own EBC. The East and immediate South - that would need to be the focus. Making a tidy profit, all that while leaving the West open for the EBC. Good plan - now, who to appoint as representative?

Reactions:
((@Rapop101 Yes, unique and ultimate means this was your one and only chance to answer correctly ;) I'll think over an answer to your denial and your request for an compromise. I am not quite sure yet if I'll let your little printing press be burned by the Queens men or censur your work.))
((Don't destroy, but if you do ill no longer be loyal and trustworthy;). Also I will probably charge you with some offenses, Arson, murder depending what evidence, I would bring you down with me:p.))

Charter of the English Royal Trading Company

The English Royal Trading Company (ERTC) emerged as the successor of the Scots Trading Company and was founded in London where it is also headquartered.
The nominal head of the English Royal Trading Company is the current monarch of England but the master of coin is in charge of the English Royal Trading Company and held responsible. However, the master of coin may delegate work to other company members.
The Crown has to always hold the majority of the stocks to ensure constant state-ownership of the English Royal Trading Company. Because of this is, there is no need to hold any votes among the shareholders because the Crown automatically holds a majority of the votes.

The English Royal Trading Company's primary mission is to ensure that England remains a leading trading power in Europe and beyond. Its secondary mission is to increase the wealth of the Crown.

Membership in the company can be attained by applying to either to the Crown or the Master of Coin.

Current Members

• Henry VII Lancaster (Nominal Head)
  • Mathias Northwell (Chief Executive & merchant)
  • Fernando di Firenze (trader)
  • Alyssa Nuzhat (courtier)

Shareholders

• Crown of England: 70%
  • Alexander Morgan: 20%
  • William-Alexander Walpole: 5%
  • Robert Clifford: 4%
  • Available: 1%

Monopolies
  • French Region
  • Scandinavia
  • Low Countries
Agreements
  • None for the moment.

Last edited:
Your Majesty,

I wish to buy the 1% of the Stocks available of the ERTC and become a member if it is possible.

Also,It has come to my understanding that the Crown has required some voluntaries for exploration and Cartography missions. I have some experience traveling by sea and with maps and i desire to offer my services to the Crown.

Always your humble Servant,
Wilhelm Hayk

Last edited:
((To Wilhelm Hayk))
I am very happy to hear that you wish to join the new ERTC, of course you will receive a membership. You are also very lucky that there was still limited amount of stock available so the ERTC is happy to sell you 1% stocks.

The Crown will also grant you your request to become explorer. Explorer Wolfe has informed me that had to leave England due to a recent family tragedy in Oldenburg, his home town.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

((I need a stat focus from you; maneuver, fire or shock))

Christian had heard rumors of a new company. The English Trading Company. "Interesting" he thought. But Christian really did not care. The only reason he wouldn't not sell his shares now was for the sake of her daughter. The amount of money was always made in trade. anyway, he was busy converting the prison to Lollardism.

Your Majesty,
I am excited by the establishment of a royal trade company, and would like to invest in the company. I understand there are few shares left, but with 20% in the hands of a certain criminal, I'll likely be investing further in the future.
Graham Hudson, son of Count Hudson

((To Son of Count Hudson))
The Crown would love to confiscate the shares held by the Morgan brothers. However, we found no legal basis to confiscate them. Should you have any advice on this matter then please do not hesitate to share it with us.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

Last edited:
((To Count Hudson))
The Crown would love to confiscate the shares held by the Morgan brothers. However, we found no legal basis to confiscate them. Should you have any advice on this matter then please do not hesitate to share it with us.

((that was the son of Count Hudson))
Well, I've been hearing rumour's regarding his questionable loyalty to the pope.
Of course, I'm not accusing him of heresy, merely,
suggesting the possibility.
Graham Hudson, son of Count Hudson

The paper mill was a success , was what Edward thought. After he had been shown the process of how too make paper. The actual printing press building was nearly done. He had gotten in contact with his nephew Benjamin who would write a few of the articles, a newspaper needs good stories and there has too be good writers to tell them.

Benjamin and a few of his colleges had tried setting up a market, but had horribly failed. Though since they were good writers, they offered there services immediately. The first issue would be after the assembly vote and would comment on it. That is unless Robert of Huntington shut it down.
He has not replied after his last letter, that was worrying Edward.

Though production was nearly finished and the first issue of The Brittania Chronicle would be out soon.
Though the country has already changed.The STC was taken from the Morgan's and given to the crown. Destroying the last remnants of their father's work.
Though more work had too be done ASA builder called him over.

((private))
Graham, son of Daniel Hudson, was an ambitious character. While he had many disputes with his father over his future, not being particularly interested in leading men to battle,
He took up the pen as his weapon of choice.
Since the age of 13, he had begun establishing connections all over the country, and familiarizing himself with various relevant parties.
Now, he a chance to put his skills to the test, witch shares in the new trading company in the hands of a convicted felon, and the crowns intention of stripping them, he began collecting information.

First, he bribed Count Morgans warden, to read through any unsealed documents to and from Morgan in his cell, as well as keep closer tabs on Morgan, and report any suspicious behavior.
Second, he bribed various servants working in Morgan's estate, of course, dealing with them through a proxy he could trust. These servants where no professionals, and if caught, may leak information. The proxy would use an alias and not show his face, and be prepared to flea in case he is in danger.

The servants would be searching through documents, eavesdropping on conversations, and searching his chambers.
Graham was largely interested in "Gilbert St. Gilbert", the mysterious man that Morgan has intended to sell his shares too.

What an odd name, who was he? A foreign merchant, or some courtier perhaps? The lack of information intrigued Graham, and he has his network track down this mysterious man, who he had suspicions of being an alias.

Graham had also looked into the assassination attempts of Henry Walpole and Crown Prince Matthew, believing, with he history between the two, that perhaps Morgan had been involved with them.

((RNG roll on finding incriminating evidence on Christian Morgan))

Last edited:
Reactions: