• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((The college must be built in England, as in the region. Dublin is in Ireland.))

((I'm petitioning for additional smaller colleges to be build in the non-English regions to educate locals and instill them with English principles. The main one should be in London (in my opinion) ))

Reactions:
((I'm petitioning for additional smaller colleges to be build in the non-English regions to educate locals and instill them with English principles. The main one should be in London (in my opinion) ))
((Ok, We can have smaller colleges in different regions if the Royal Assembly agrees to them (although without in-game effect due to modifier stacking) :) ))

((A new voting phase will start tonight CET or tomorrow afternoon CET))

((Ok, We can have smaller colleges in different regions if the Royal Assembly agrees to them (although without in-game effect due to modifier stacking) :) ))

((A new voting phase will start tonight CET or tomorrow afternoon CET))

((I agree, I meant it as more of a narrative handle than proposing buffing more provinces :)))

Reactions:
Ximeno awakes a bright sunny morning in June, unusually full of energy. Something's not right. He heads towards the headquarters of the company, and sets himself to work. After an hour of writing, constantly changing his plans, his efforts pay off. Restructuring his business, complete with the official and inofficial parts, to a Trade Company Charter he can present to seek the approval of the crown.

Now for a name... a convincing name... well, his men might have an idea. For the remainder of the day, possible names are discussed, and the energy of the morning dissipates. Tomorrow he would just choose what he wants. Maybe add a new emblem. No, that is too much work for nothing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Charter of the Euskal Biscayan Company (EBC for short)

- The EBC, headquartered in Bordeaux, Gascony, will conduct trade with all kinds of different goods mostly in the Bay of Biscay.
- As such, it will supply Britain with wares from the South-Western continent.
- In return, British wares will be exported to this region.
- Expansion into other regions is not the current plan, but might be an option considering how the market develops.

- Head of the EBC will be a member of the Arantxez family.
- Said head will be elected by the members amongst the suitable candidates, ensuring that the most capable merchant leads the company.
- First company leader is Ximeno Arantxez.

- Membership in the company can be attained through experience in trade.
- Anyone interested is free to apply, and is considered a member after approval of the company's head.
- Investors are welcome, and will be repaid with a share of the profits depending on their investment and the duration of their investion. An investment will only be accepted if it is necessary though.

Current members:
  • Ximeno Arantxez (Head)
  • Aznar Arantxez
  • Peter Andrews
  • William Becket
  • 8 NPCs
Lesser members:
  • A lot of NPCs
Shareholders:
  • The ERTC (15%, permanent)
  • William Becket (1%, lifetime)
Agreements:
  • 50% of the profits of the trade in Southern France go to the STC in exchange for the right to trade in their monopoly zone
  • this ended 1466, granting the EBC full trade rights in Labourd, Gascogne and Poitou (when accessible)
  • with the end of the STC and the rise of the ERTC, full rights on the whole French coast in the Bay of Biscay were granted

History
:
- *some drops of ink are placed, seemingly unvoluntarily* ... June 1459 : Foundation of the EBC
- June 1466: Granted monopoly on Spanish trade by royal decree
- 1474: Repaid the initial investments

Satisfied, even if he couldn't remember the correct date... It is close to midnight, after all... One may never know... Ximeno proclaimed the new company to his lower members. For all the profits he would make, that hard work would pay off... Maybe he could even get a prominent supporter for his smuggling. But how to arrange that? He'd think about it in some months. Or years. Doesn't matter, after all it is inofficial. Right now, time to get to bed.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Dear Señor Arantxez,

while I cannot be part of your Trading Company since I am already affiliated with my father's enterprise, I am always looking for investment opportunities. If you could draw up a plan for me to buy stocks (price and % of total shares) I'll review your proposal and can maybe help you get some starting capital. In case you are not familiar with my family business, we are merchants and shipbuilders out of Porto, Portugal. Since a number of years I head the charter of our family in Portsmouth, where we have a number of docks and warehouses. In the recent past we struck up a collaboration with the Scots Trading Company and we now also operate a dock in Calais.

Sincerely,

Renato Noguiera

Member of the Royal Merchant Corps, head of the Portsmouth charter of the Porto Companhia do Commércio

Most honourable Arentxez,

I want to buy some shares in your new trading company. I have always been a supporter of trade, and I foresee great fortunes from your trade company.

I hope we can make a deal,
John Walpole, earl of Dublin

[
To all members of the assembly,

I admire the proposal for a language institute. The glory of a nation is properly reflected in these. I would like to make an addendum to the proposed bill though. I feel that if one wants people to educate themselves in the language and culture of a different people, it should be accessible to them closer to home. I agree that prestige dictates that the grand college be founded and based in London, but while we still have the spirit and wisdom to see the importance of education, we should also invest in additional smaller wings of the new college. Local smaller universities in new territories, where the local nobility can educate itself. Aleck Morgan already proposed Calais and I think it would be a good place for a smaller university. Another suitable location would be Dublin. It will take a bit more of a strain on the crown's treasury, but it is an investment that in the long term will lead to more stability in the realm.

Should this be agreed upon, I'm willing to invest a significant amount of personal wealth in these plans and act as an overseer of the project and future matters of education and science.

Humbly,

Renato Noguiera

I second this opinion, it would be wise to enlighten foreign nobles to the mercy of the English crown, as well as encourage, well, proper English behavior.

Reactions:
((to Ximeno Arantxez)
Ximeno Arantxez,
I am writing you on behalf of Her Majesty Elizabeth Talbot. The Crown has been informed by the Royal Merchants Corps that you have founded a trading company in Bordeaux. For that we want to congratulate you. Her Majesty wishes you good fortune with your company. However, you might not be aware that the late king has given the Scots Trading Company a monopoly on all trade to and from the French region. I sincerely hope the Crown won't be forced to intervene in your trading business, quite the contrary. Should you intend to trade goods from France to England then I recommend that you speak to Aleck Morgan, the founder and head of the STC, in order to gain permission to conduct such trades. Otherwise the EBC would be violating English law.
Queen Elizabeth is looking forward to a hopefully productive cooperation between your trading company and the Crown.

~ Louis du Chastel, Royal Advisor

((letter to Chaffinch))

Bishop Chaffinch,

I am sorry for my late reply, my duties to the royal family and ongoing work on the English language act, as well as my work for the Dominicans have kept me very busy indeed.

I would be delighted to meet you and discuss the matters you have wrote to me about, I can not unfortunately leave the capital t this time due to my commitments but perhaps you would consent to travel south and meet me in london? I would be delighted to host you.

Kindest regards

John Bedford.

Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare

Well, that's the problem in setting off to work so late...You miss a very important, a crucial part of it all. Nnnnghh... More work. Ximeno takes his quill and begins to write. At least this should go fairly smoothly.

-letter to Aleck Morgan-
Most respectable Lord Morgan,

As you might have heard, I have decided to expand my business in Bordeaux to a fully fledged trading company operating the Bay of Biscay. As the headquarters of my company are in Gascony, I have been told that this could violate the monopoly in the French Region of your STC. I assure you that this isn't my intention. Rather than keeping the status quo of a monopoly you can only partly capitalize on, seeing that there is a French embargo in place, I propose that you renounce your monopoly in the Southern part of France. That way, you can concentrate the STC on the Northern coast, the Lowlands and the German lands to the East, making a healthy profit. My EBC would control the trade within the Bay of Biscay, as its name implies. Of course, this is without knowing the inner workings of your company. Should Gascony play an important role, I would just use Bordeaux as my main port and concentrate on Iberian trade. Though I am hopeful we find an agreement, maybe for 5% of the profits of the next ten years? I am certain that, given that our companies cooperate, we can completely control the trade around France.

Respectfully,
Ximeno Arantxez, Head of the Euskal Biscayan Company

Dear Senhor Nogueira,

This is good to hear. I assure you that while my company is focused on trade with Iberia for the moment, I will not interfere with any trade to and from Portugal. I also welcome the proposal to invest in the EBC. I need money to set up such a big enterprise, as you surely know, and my own funds are nearly not enough for that ambition. So I would offer you 10% of the company's profits over the next fifteen years, provided an investment of five solid ships with great capacities or the equivalent price. After these fifteen years, your investment will be repaid and we will see if we want to follow with further investions.

Sincerely,

((a similar offer is sent to Count John Walpole))

Reactions:
To all members of the assembly,

I admire the proposal for a language institute. The glory of a nation is properly reflected in these. I would like to make an addendum to the proposed bill though. I feel that if one wants people to educate themselves in the language and culture of a different people, it should be accessible to them closer to home. I agree that prestige dictates that the grand college be founded and based in London, but while we still have the spirit and wisdom to see the importance of education, we should also invest in additional smaller wings of the new college. Local smaller universities in new territories, where the local nobility can educate itself. Aleck Morgan already proposed Calais and I think it would be a good place for a smaller university. Another suitable location would be Dublin. It will take a bit more of a strain on the crown's treasury, but it is an investment that in the long term will lead to more stability in the realm.

Should this be agreed upon, I'm willing to invest a significant amount of personal wealth in these plans and act as an overseer of the project and future matters of education and science.

Humbly,

Renato Noguiera

((While theorizing locations in our new territories for royal universities, I figured Dublin would make sense. While Googling if it actually was a major city at the time, I found that Elizabeth I actually founded Trinity College in Dublin. We'd just be 100 years quicker ;) ))

((letter to Renato Noguiera))

Master Noguiera,

May I first as one learned man to another remark upon the quality of your writing. I found it a joy to pour over your correspondence.

To the matter at hand, the purpose and the extent of the proposed law will only fall upon internal official documentation. It is not the with of the crown, myself or the proposal to censure the private desires of educated gentlemen.

In truth you are the proto-type of what I hope an englishman will become. You are not born of our clouded land and yet you have made a success in benefit to the nation and yourself. I hope this law will guide our new population to one day become alike your example.

As to expanding the Grand college I am moved by your zeal but I fear I must council patience. Let us build first and if it is a working model then we can expand.

God be with you sir.

John Bedford

Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare

Well, that's the problem in setting off to work so late...You miss a very important, a crucial part of it all. Nnnnghh... More work. Ximeno takes his quill and begins to write. At least this should go fairly smoothly.

-letter to Aleck Morgan-
Most respectable Lord Morgan,

As you might have heard, I have decided to expand my business in Bordeaux to a fully fledged trading company operating the Bay of Biscay. As the headquarters of my company are in Gascony, I have been told that this could violate the monopoly in the French Region of your STC. I assure you that this isn't my intention. Rather than keeping the status quo of a monopoly you can only partly capitalize on, seeing that there is a French embargo in place, I propose that you renounce your monopoly in the Southern part of France. That way, you can concentrate the STC on the Northern coast, the Lowlands and the German lands to the East, making a healthy profit. My EBC would control the trade within the Bay of Biscay, as its name implies. Of course, this is without knowing the inner workings of your company. Should Gascony play an important role, I would just use Bordeaux as my main port and concentrate on Iberian trade. Though I am hopeful we find an agreement, maybe for 5% of the profits of the next ten years? I am certain that, given that our companies cooperate, we can completely control the trade around France.

Respectfully,

Dear Senhor Nogueira,

This is good to hear. I assure you that while my company is focused on trade with Iberia for the moment, I will not interfere with any trade to and from Portugal. I also welcome the proposal to invest in the EBC. I need money to set up such a big enterprise, as you surely know, and my own funds are nearly not enough for that ambition. So I would offer you 10% of the company's profits over the next fifteen years, provided an investment of five solid ships with great capacities or the equivalent price. After these fifteen years, your investment will be repaid and we will see if we want to follow with further investions.

Sincerely,

((a similar offer is sent to Count John Walpole))

I would like to agree to this investment. I assumed when you announced your operation that you had a permission of the Scots Trading Company or the crown to operate. I'll hold the funds for the investment until things are cleared with you, Aleck Morgan and the Crown. If you are allowed to operate I will get the capital to you.

Sincerely,

Renato Noguiera

Dear Mr. Bedford,

Your words are too kind, I feel very much so flattered. I am aware it is not your decision to expand the original plan, nor can I move to get it to happen. I just merely wanted to mention the idea and the option to the Majesty and her advisors. I'll leave it to the voting call whether or not my addendum is incorporated or not. We could always return to this at a later time as you alluded to.

Should you ever find yourself near Portsmouth, either visiting or passing through, know my door is always open to discuss matters like these, or matters of state or the other passing things of life.

Warm regards,

Renato Noguiera.

Dear Senhor Nogueira,

Sincerely,
Your deal is so generous that I'll send you 10 of Dublin's finest ships. You have my full support in trade in the Biscay.

For a long and prosperous relationship,
John Walpole

How is the STC doing lately?

- John Walpole. ((@Duke Dan "the Man" ))

Last edited:
((At the Royal Assembly))

Citizens of England,
I speak here before you at the Royal Assembly to talk about a wide-range of issues today. The first two issue are connected with each other and concern the establishment of a Grand College as part of Friar John's English Language Act and the town in which such an institution should be built in. Oxford, London and Newcastle have been suggested as possible locations.

The English Language Act of 1459

The act makes the following reforms to English law.

1 All internal official documentation regarding any official capacity must be written in English. Foreign documents may be written in Latin to ease communication.
2 Old Saxon and Norman law shall be rewritten in English.
3 A grand college shall be established within England at a county to be decided. It will teach children of the realms leading lords and men, whatever their native land.

The church will be exempt and may continue to use Latin according to cannon law.

Next to the matters concerned with the English Language Act, I'd also like your advice on what mission the Crown should work on to complete. Also, as you all know, we live in a time of innovation. New ideas are spreading through Europe and I have come to believe that England should invest more resources into developing new concepts. Otherwise we risk falling behind our rivals, especially the French and Burgundians are worrying me.

S9uOMep.png

((
The English Language Act: Yes / No / Abstain
Position of the Grand College (if the English Language Act passes): Oxford / London / Newcastle / Abstain
New Mission: Construct a Grand Fleet / Become Papal Controller / Conquer Artois / Abstain
Idea Group:
Innovate Ideas / Religious Ideas / Economic Ideas / Expansion Ideas / Administrative Ideas / Humanist Ideas / Espionage Ideas / Diplomatic Ideas / Trade Ideas / Exploration Ideas / Maritime Ides / Influence Ideas / Aristocratic Ideas / Offensive Ideas / Defensive Ideas / Quality Ideas / Quantity Ideas / Naval Ideas / Abstain

For the idea group vote you may nominate 2 idea groups.
The idea group with the most votes will then be chosen. If England shall go colonizing in the future, then I strongly suggest that retake exploration ideas as our first or second idea group but of course you are free to vote for what you think is best.

The deadline for this vote is Thursday at 16:00 CEST.
))

The English Language Act: Yes
Position of the Grand College (if the English Language Act passes): London
New Mission: Abstain
Idea Group: Exploration Ideas and Quality ideas.

Oliver Talbot, Total Votes : 5 (#62, #215, #338, #486, #716)

Last edited:
Friar John is one of the first if the assembly to vote.

In regards to the English language act. I vote yes.

As to location I will remain neutral as I proposed the act. Abstain.

Regarding our future missions, the very idea of controlling the holy father is heresy. I can not as a cleric condone war and our fleet seems to already be superior and it may be a waste to support it further. Abstain.

Finally I would support the following areas of research. Religious ideas and administrative ideas.

This will give the nation a strong heart and head.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The royal assembly

Edward had heard about this new act, of making English taught to people, Edward agreed with the idea and would off course vote yes, also Edward thought that it should be put in London, because as the empire grows and more culters are added, having it in the capital would reach the most people, while having it in Newcastle, while helping the Scots, would not help, Normans, French or the Dutch.
The English Language act.YES
Location. LONDON

For the new mission, Edward would vote, making a grand fleet. Making the Navy larger would make us able to dominate in trade and in Naval might, this wouled secure the British isles and prevent invasion from enemies. The 2 other missions were preposterous, becoming the pope with a drunk cardinal, its more likely that the French will let us take their land. Also the other mission conquer Artois, this is in France (I think) and goes against the expansion plan.
Mission. Construct a grand fleet.

Finally we are able to chose Britain's future as a country, of course Edward was going to chose Exploration as his vote, Edward knew of the money that could be made in Africa, first hand and imagine if there were lands better than Africa and uninhabited, it would make us a lot richer than anyone other county, imagine if we could monopolize sugar or the silk trade. The other idea group Edward was thinking off was quality, if we could improve are troops to be the best, we would always have the advantage in battle.
Idea group. Exploration Idea, then Quality Idea.

Edward also had a letter to reply to about the betrothal of his daughter Mary.
Letter. To Aleck Mackay, Count of Calais
Yes Mary can travel to Calais, she always said she wanted to go to France, no idea why. Hopefully Mary and Christian get along.
From Edward Andrews.

((Spolier messed up))

Last edited:
The English Language Act: Yes
I would certainly be surprised if any fellow noblemen say nay or abstain from voting on this act. This law will surely revolutionise our nation, and will force the Scottish barbarians in northern England to adopt the English language or else they will suffer great penalties.

Position of the Grand College (if the English Language Act passes): London
London is the largest and most well-known city in Britannia. If we construct this grand college anywhere else, it'll simply leave a small dent on all of world history. If we construct it in London, it'll become the greatest representative of English culture and religion in Europe, and people of all different identities and cultures will have to visit our geatest city in order to learn at tthis grand college.

New Mission: Construct a Grand Fleet
If we want to protect our island nation from being invaded from any foreign power, we must constantly maintain and add onto our grand navy, or as I like to call it, our "Wooden Wall". The Wooden Wall is our most powerful and deadly form of military against any neighbouring nation who dares to try to invade Britannia, and we have to constantly improve it if we want our Wooden Wall to continue to protect us.

Idea: Exploration Ideas
I have recently began reading the tales of Marco Polo and his supposed travels to Cathay and beyond. They are quite interesting pieces of literature, and I believe that they are certainly accurate in terms of geography. We must begin traveling westward if we want to find out if Polo's tales are real.

The STC has been goong wonderfully.We have expanded our trade fleets.I invite you meet me in London allng with all other member to discuss the foundjng of the EBC.

Aleck Morgan
Yhere has been a new company in Aquataine.We must meet in London to see what to do with the EBC.

Excutive Officer Morgan
I must wait if we will revoke our monopoly until after the stockholders if the company decide what to do.I will also invest in your company and sent you 20 ships made by the ship maker Edward Andrews himself.Anyway,if the STC goes back,I know I have a backup

Count Morgan of Calais,Excutive Officer
The English Languange Act:Yes
Position of Collage:London
Idea:Exploration
Mission:papal Controller

Last edited: