• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Walpole was tolerant before it was cool. :cool:))

Reactions:
London 1472 - The Royal Chancellory

The meeting of the Foxes had worked out nearly as Robert had expected. He has been chosen as the First Leader of this new Faction and on the most proposals had been voted upon as he wished. But for one thing: The son of the late Duke James Bourchier, Cardinal John Bourchier had made a most disturbing proposal. He suggested to attack France as it wouldn't be an unjustified or agressive war, because Elizabeth I. as the rightfull Queen of France would be the rightfull owner of France. But a war over territory? This wasn't the way the Foxes should choose as their first mean to achieve their goals. What was the young Bourchier thinking? He himself had said that he had joined the Foxes because he favoured peace and then he made this proposal. Robert knew that it was his duty as faction leader to faithfully represent the proposals the faction made even Bourchiers. So he tried to word it in the best way he could to fit it into the Foxes politics.

Robert sat down and wrote to the Assembly the two acts that would need approval from the Assembly, all the other issues had allready been brought to Her Majesty personally.

Most honourable men and women of the Royal Assembly,
I hereby bring before you two issues the faction of the Foxes decided are a good way to strengthen our influence in Europe and in the new discovered regions:

1. The Acceleration of Colonization Act
  • We have discovered new islands in close proximity to India and an island in the North Sea which both are uninhabited. England shall try her hardest to claim these regions for herself and send Colonists there as soon as possible.
  • To achieve this goal it's of utmost importance to focus on developing technology until our ships are able to sail to this regions and bring settlers with them. Advancements in exploration techniques shall therefore be halted until this is goal is achieved.
((this means ingame: Focus our DIP-Points on DIP-Technology instead of Exploration Ideas until we reach DIP-Technology 7 which gives us the Colonial Range to get to Greenland and Africa))

2. Rightful Rule over France Act
  • The Lancaster dynasty of England with it's current head Elizabeth I is the rightful ruler of France. The currently Dynasty in power, the de Valois, are mere Pretenders and have no claim to the throne, neither in the eyes of GOD nor men.
  • Therefore both, the people and the land of France, are for one rightfull subjects and for another legal property of the Queen of England Elizabeth I.
  • Hence every war against France shall be seen as a legitimate war to reclaim territory that is occupied by an Pretender and Traitor.
  • The Foxes suggest as a result of this that the next Expansion-Plan shall have a further Expansion into France as one of it's core elements.
((tl;dr: The next Expansion Plan has to have an expansion into France in it.))

Brought forth by Lord Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon, First Leader of the Foxes.

Robert sighed after he had finished writing these two Acts. He hoped that he had with his wording of the last issue achieved both his goals: Honoured the vote of the Foxes and postponed the proposal for an agressive war to a later date and another man.

Now only one thing was left to do, answering a very interesting letter. A young woman named Alyssa Nutzhat had asked to join the faction. She claimed to be from Ceylon, a land so far away, that even the well traveled Robert hadn't heard from it wheren't it for Wilhelm Hayk. The ambitious explorer couldn't stop talking about this island to which he had discovered a new sea route. Miss Nuzhat had already made herself a name at court: She had a long audience with the Queen and, what was quite interesting but also most disturbing, sued two of the courtiers, one of them a Count, for slander.
"This girl is out of her mind," Robert thought, "just because she is offended she sues two men? As a woman, a foreign woman non the less? How does she hope to survive in politics and diplomacy if she isn't able to swallow her pride down." The Chancellor chose to reply, but not as the woman might have hoped.

Miss Alyssa Nuzhat,
I welcome you to England, you made the right choice to in wanting to join the Foxes. But at the moment I am unable to accept you into our faction. I can't think of any circumstance where it would be beneficial to the Foxes having one in it's ranks who could sue them just because a discussion becomes heated and one isn't able to hear words that would offend one. I suggest you to drop your charges against the two gentlemen and realise that you aren't in India anymore but in England and here we don't sue one just because we don't like what he says. Listen to my advise, Miss Nuzhat, because I feel you wouldn't have a chance to win in the trials. When you've overthought your actions we can talk about you joining the Foxes again.
Lord Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon, First Leader of the Foxes.

Last edited:
Renato sat at his writing table, pondering the state of affairs at the court. Renato was glad for the life he managed to carve out for himself in England. He quickly became a royal merchant in his young days, some 30 years ago. He had dreamt of a life of power and intrigue, but it never came to be. In stead he had become a rich man (at least rich enough to be live in comfort) and a proud father. Over the years he just focussed on assigning the right men to the right ships, as he was born to do. Ever the effective merchant, he became intimately familiar with the Western European trade. He had become less and less involved in political affairs though. And all for the better. The court was populated with petty men scrambling for scraps of power and screwing each other over, while above it the Queen ruled as she pleased. Which is all the better, because she seemed the most level headed with some exceptions. Recently the arrival of this Alyssa Nuzhat had stirred the hornets nest. Within two days she was appointed Royal Merchant (because the Queen thought her an interesting person? Who knows, it was unprecedented) and now she was sueing some of these ‘nobles’ for slander. It seemed everyone lacked vision or was either bored and people default to rivalries in this country. The only saving grace would be a strong enemy to unite against. But for the time, the Royal Courts seemed like a grand comedy. Perhaps it’s time for me to go back to Portugal. Chico can run the business in Portsmouth and I can take over in Porto. If only I could convince my wife…

Reactions:
((If Renato leaves for Portugal I intend transfer character to my son, play him. For all intents and purposes it will be a character death, I might just retire Renato a bit earlier to go enjoy his pension, he’s rich enough for it. I just wanted to write a post to reflect my recent less frequent updates, the iAAR is too much to really keep track of currently. I might retire my character for a while and just vote OOC if need be. I don’t want to quit everything altogether but it’s hard to play a meaningful role if you don’t follow or are involved with at least one storyline. I might just do a bit more posts like this, basically as Michaelangelo is playing too, a post every now and then without too much active involvement. A character narrator I suppose, coloured by my own opinions.))

Reactions:
((At the Royal Assembly))
Elizabeth had invited the delegates to attend the royal assembly in order to discuss a few important decisions.

It seemed like John Bourchier had a lot of free time as cardinal given that he proposed a total of three acts. His first proposal dealt with executions which he argued should also be conducted via beheading and burning by the stake instead of only by hanging.

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448
The Act is too lax to those who have committed acts most inappropriate to the state, such as those not limited to Treason and Witchcraft.
I Propose a ratification to the Law set out in 1448, outlining new punishments, to better represent the heinous nature of the crimes committed by the individuals.
I offer these as alternative punishments to be bestowed,by choice, by the Queen's Justice

1. Burning
2. Hung,Drawn,Quartered
3. Beheading
((In-game effects are secret))

His second act was the proposed ratification of a papal law.

The De Heretico Comburendo Act
This Act would hereby make it illegal to possess or produce a Bible that is not in Latin, this will be punishable by burning at the stake.
((in-game effects are secret)
The last act of Cardinal Bourchier's proposals was a reform of the realm's legal system.
The Petty Crime and Punishment Act
For crimes of a small nature, and in which the crown is unable to make a decision but a simple conclusion can be met, only 1 Judge is required to preside over the official proceedings and thus be the decider of the sentence given.

Duke Talbot, leaders of the wolves, was more concerned with the state of the military and therefore proposed the Wartime Conscription Act which had been written by General Hudson.

Wartime Conscription Act
1. In the event the realm faces a brutal war and available reserves reach critical lows, the following will be enacted
2. All available men will have their names entered into a lottery
3. Any name pulled with be conscripted into the royal army, no exceptions.
((In-game effects are secret))

The foxes proposed two acts through their leader, Chancellor of Huntingdon.

The Acceleration of Colonization Act
1. We have discovered new islands in close proximity to India and an island in the North Sea which both are uninhabited. England shall try her hardest to claim these regions for herself and send Colonists there as soon as possible

2. To achieve this goal it's of utmost importance to focus on developing technology until our ships are able to sail to this regions and bring settlers with them. Advancements in exploration techniques shall therefore be halted until this is goal is achieved.

Rightful Rule over France Act
1. The Lancaster dynasty of England with it's current head Elizabeth I is the rightful ruler of France. The currently Dynasty in power, the de Valois, are mere Pretenders and have no claim to the throne, neither in the eyes of GOD nor men
2. Therefore both, the people and the land of France, are for one rightfull subjects and for another legal property of the Queen of England Elizabeth I.
3. Hence every war against France shall be seen as a legitimate war to reclaim territory that is occupied by an Pretender and Traitor.
4. The Foxes suggest as a result of this that the next Expansion-Plan shall have a further Expansion into France as one of it's core elements.

While the delegates of the royal assembly were debating matters of national importance the Owl faction conducted its meeting on the their own agenda.
((these agenda points are ONLY for members of the Owls faction))

Alexander’s Proposals
Free vote ((no pressure from the faction))
annex Scotland
new lands in the north (aberdeenshire, fife,) temporarily administered by Alexander

Ximeno’s Proposals
Continue to encourage trade with workshops and markets
keep stability at +1
Start no offensive wars against strong opponents - perhaps Scotland
(I agree with the free votes as well)

Peter's Proposals
Build temples
Build tall ((add admin power to provinces, such as London))
Vote for printing press, pass it in royal assembly
High stability
Free votes

There was also a vote for the small council members which had been proposed by the Commander of the Forces

Military Experience Requirement for ranks
1. Any man wishing to become a general in the Royal Army must have -in addition to Her Majesty's approval - at least five years experience in the military, at least two of which must had been spent in captaincy of a regiment.
2. Any man wishing to become an admiral in the Royal Navy must have -in addition to her Majesty's approval - at least five years experience in the navy, at least two of which must had been spent in captaincy of a ship.
1.1/2.1 The Royal Family (of both heir and monarch if they are of different dynasties) are exempt from this.

Amendment (to which the credit must go to General Hudson)
3. If there are currently generals or admirals, the aspiring general or admiral must be assessed by the current generals in addition to the requirement of experience and royal permission.

Second Amendment
3. If there are currently general(s), the aspiring general must be assessed by the current general(s) in addition to the requirement of experience and royal permission,
4. If there are currently admiral(s), the aspiring admiral must be assessed by the current admiral(s) in addition to the requirement of experience and royal permission.

((
Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Yes / No / Abstain
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Yes / No / Abstain
The Petty Crime and Punishment Act: Yes / No / Abstain
Wartime Conscription Act: Yes / No / Abstain
The Acceleration of Colonization Act: Yes / No / Abstain
Rightful Rule over France Act: Yes / No / Abstain

Military Experience Requirement for ranks: Yes / No (only for small council members; cannot abstain)

Owl Agenda: Alexander/Ximeno/Peter/Abstain (only for members of the Owl faction)

The deadline for this vote is Saturday at 16:00 CET ))

Last edited:
Renato send out the votes. In his journal he wrote down a short annotation for all his motivations, although his letter to the Queen's representatives was more lengthy. The page from his journal:

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: No These punishments are quite barbaric and signify a degradation of the state, in stead of progress.

The De Heretico Comburendo Act: No It would be great if people can educate themselves in religion without needing another's interpretation. Secondly, again, the punishments are way too harsh and barbaric.

The Petty Crime and Punishment Act: Yes Streamlining our justice system seems to only hold benefits.

Wartime Conscription Act: No We should find a way to draw upon the best and most motivated men, even from our reserves. If a lottery is the way this is performed, less effective troops will be sent and we may need to call upon extra lotteries. Might as well try to send our best.

The Acceleration of Colonization Act: Yes A sensible proposal.

Rightful Rule over France Act: Yes I don't see why this would not be a good idea. They are both a short and long term threat, might as well deal with them, it's been long enough.

Reactions:
Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: No
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Yes
The Petty Crime and Punishment Act: Yes
Wartime Conscription Act: No
The Acceleration of Colonization Act: Yes
Rightful Rule over France Act: Yes

Gentlemen,
I believe that it is in the interest of the military for us to support Hudson's Wartime Conscription Act and the Rightful Rule over France Act. The other acts do not concern the military, so you will be free in your choice regarding these, however I would recommend opposing the barbaric punishments proposed by Bourchier whilst supporting his Petty Crime and Punishment Act. Also, the Acceleration of Colonisation Act would be in the benefit of the country, but as it's not directly related to the military, I've decided to leave it open.

Oliver Talbot, Commander of the Forces, Duke of Normandy and Leader of the Wolves

I would like to thank you for the proposition of the Rightful Rule over France Act. Although the Wolves and Foxes may be different factions, it is good to see that we both support Her Majesty's rightful claims against the pretenders.

Oliver Talbot, Commander of the Forces, Duke of Normandy and Leader of the Wolves

Whilst in the National Assembly, a number of acts had been proposed, yet it seemed that Oliver would need little internal debate as the answers to each were obvious.

"Firstly I would like to address the crime of witchcraft. In recent years, the English justice system has developed a very respectable necessity for actual evidence, so to burn people for the sake of a village mob's superstitious idiocy is a terrible decision for our government to take. If the act were to be revised, with the latter two punishments only for high treason, then I would consider supporting it. Until such a change comes, I won't even contemplate violently executing someone for a crime that doesn't truly exist behind the imagination of village dunces".

The De Heretico Comburendo Act: No
"I believe that it would unwise for the future empire for us to be religiously intolerant so we should only relax religious restrictions, not increase them".

"The summoning of multiple judges for a minor crime seems unnecessary. Although one judge could be biased, I am sure that the selection of judge will be made with possible bias kept in mind".

Wartime Conscription Act: Yes
"Although sending random men seems unwise, I would point out that the act would only be used in the even of a national emergency. It would only be used if our skilled soldiers had already died on the field of battle and we have no one else left. The probability that this act will ever need to be used in extremely unlikely, yet it would be useful for us to fall back on".

"This is only logical for us to halt the advancement of exploration techniques until we can actually settle the land we discover. Of course, we should explore what is in our current range whilst we develop the necessary technology to colonise the lands that have recently been discovered by the Kingdom of England. Once we take these lands, I am sure that William Hayk and any future explorers will still have viable careers as our exploration range will be increased".

"I believe that, although the other acts will all be subjects of much debate, this act has the potential to gain the unanimous support of the Assembly as none here would side with the pretenders in Paris".

Military Experience Requirement for ranks: Yes

"Gentlemen, as the act which you've all ready proposes, I believe we should be restrict the advancement of ranks through the military so that the commanders of England may achieve a level of ability far beyond current generals such as myself or Hudson".

((I'd propose that the effect would be a yearly increase in army/navy tradition, but a heavy hit to tradition if a leader gets in without going through the ranks and being assessed.))

Reactions:
((@Sancronis I have not included the effects of any acts in this voting round because @alscon pointed out that decisions should be taken solely on IC-reasons. The in-game effects would be decided later by me as GM but of course your proposal for army/navy tradition makes sense and it has been noted :) ))

Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Yes
Rightful Rule over France Act: Yes, but I propose that we instead try to get France in a Personal Union under Queen Elizabeth Talbot.
Owl Agenda: Alexander

We must adopt a zero tolerance policy for all crimes!

Such matters should be left to the clergy.

I must request you vote with me on this,

Hudson turns to glare at Alyssa
After a certain foreign girl made a mockery of our justice system, I believe a reform is in order.
Men of England must fight for England! When times are tough, all shall drop their tools in favour of swords! England shall suffer no defeats!

The Acceleration of Colonization Act: No
Why must the crowns resources be wasted on some frozen rock? Our enemies are here! In Europe! This far off stone is worthless! England will find no wealth there!

It is time! Take what is yours, my queen! Those traitorous French will fall by the thousands before me! Glory to England! Glory to the crown! Glory to the Queen!

Reactions:
Rightful Rule over France Act: No
Owl Agenda: Alexander

((Just wonder, how does voting no for a proposal that would allow burning go along with voting yes for an act that specifically states people will be burned. Would that make the biblical burning illegal? I think this combination of votes doesn't work... Just my two cents))

Reactions:
((Just wonder, how does voting no for a proposal that would allow burning go along with voting yes for an act that specifically states people will be burned. Would that make the biblical burning illegal? I think this combination of votes doesn't work... Just my two cents))
((Agreed. I figured nobody would go for said combination so I didn't mention that in the voting post. Maybe O5 wants to introduce biblical burnings while making them illegal at the same time. :D ))

Reactions:
Appearing at the Assembly instead of his father, Gilen Arantxez does his best to present his father's reasoning.

As always, my father will abstain from church matters. Capital punishment might need another element in major crimes though, but not with the proposed changes, so he abstains from this act as well. Reducing time and cost for petty crimes is a sound idea, as is the push for colonization. But wartime conscription is a very bad idea - it would 'flood the roads with deserted bandits'. As for France, a war is much too costly right now.

((Adjustments to the Limitation of Capital Punishment Act of 1448: Abstain
The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Abstain
Rightful Rule over France Act: No
Owl Agenda: Ximeno
))

The De Heretico Comburendo Act: Abstain

Owl Agenda: Abstain

I can only hope that if the Wartime Conscription Act passes that I am conscripted so my fellow lofty lords who think it a wise decision will feel like cowardly fools as a bedridden cripple is forced to fight for them while they sit cozy in their castles. That is how absurd an act it is that proposes to force men into service regardless of health, age, or status.

- William Benjamin Briggs, Earl of Marches

Reactions:
Peter was outraged, his farther printing press was refused. How could this happen, then he looked to his right, Robert of Huntingdon, smiling and laughing.
He caused this. Peter was ashamed. A petty Nobel had taken his conquistador role and now this.
Though most likely with him high up in the courts, Peter would not be able to beat him. So he would join him, he had heard that he offered Edward the chance to join, but he had refused and this was most likely petty revenge, so Peter would join and help him, he could still accomplish his goals.
Well anyway onto the vote.

The adjustment to the capital punishment act should not happen. Beheading, while not painful could go disastrously wrong. Burning alive and Hung, drawn and quartered, was an entirely a different matter. It was almost like the murders of them would become hell itself, England was a civilized nation, unlike France and should never do this.
This goes with the heretico comburendo act, which would once again be refused. This would turn into a witch hunt and brother would turn on brother.

The petty crime act, Peter once again had to go against, 1 judge could be biased or bought off. Though instead of a judge, it could be a jury with a judge. But with the Jury deciding. This would make the system a lot better and fairer as the average person would decide if the person was right or wrong.

The war time conscription act, while you could disagree with it at first. You then relies that it really is a last resort, when all of the good troops have been killed off and that's when everyone would have to serve their country, or what would happen when France with their larger manpower crushed us, they would easily siege the mainland and when there are enough troops, it would be too late.

The acceleration of the colonization act, was something that Peter could agree with, they had to go at all haste to colonize India and Greenland. Wait too long and Portugal/Castille will get their before us. Meaning that they can get a lot of land and prevent us from getting anywhere. Any way the islands from what he heard had a lot of unseen resources, that were only rare back here. Also, Peter was the head colonizer for the crown and should of course supports this, as he dosn't get paid when he isn't working.

Finally there was the rightful rule of France, Peter agreed with it. France was our number one enemy and was constantly plotting our downfall. If we were to destroy them now, we would become the strongest on the continent, England, France and Austria all under one banner. Its beautiful.

And of course he voted for his agenda in the vote.

The Petty Crime and Punishment Act: No
Owl agenda: Peter

((Not promoting hate.))

((Due to all trials having failed in which I was not involved, the crime and legal system is hereby put on hold. This means characters are not allowed commit crimes anymore. I cannot babysit every trial case; especially not when it's for something small like slander.
This decision has been made after ML told me that the latest trial has failed after quite a lot of ICs have been written after I asked. Once the players are more ready for crimes I will consider bringing it back.))

Last edited:
Reactions: