• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( I think that everyone can guess what I'm going to advocate for :rolleyes:.))

Ximeno returned to London after a prolonged stay that made sure his instructions were followed. And they had paid off. Two and a half years of merciless price battle, and most indepedent Castillian traders had given up, gone bankrupt, joined the EBC or, these with the longest breath, changed their trade, now carrying goods from England to Italy, for example. As expected, Castile didn't counteract his measures, and the result was complete dominance. The EBC would now have some years of consolidation and raising profits in front of it, but the income was not endangered by anyone. The EBC, as focused on the trade in the West, could in the future expand North. With Captain Wolfe discovering what seems to be unsettled land, it might be profitable to think about it. The EBC has supplied Ireland with a bit of grain, and if this new land can provide good fishing grounds, maybe good hunting grounds for walrus and narwhal ivory, difficult to get from Iceland. It would be good to get into the business early - if that business develops, that is. Means there is still time.

As investor, but foremost as merchant and Master of the Coin, I feel that the Scots Trading Company is in a difficult situation right now. With the investors having much influence on the company, holding 75% of its shares, we have to return it to the right way. I therefore invite all of you to discuss the future of the STC in the Londoner headquarter, likely involving the election of a new head instead of the criminal Morgans. Or do you feel you can still trust them with your investment?
Looking forward to a constructive debate,
Ximeno Arantxez, Master of the Coin of England

((It would be a meeting involving Bloodsstone (@Paintato34343 ), Walpole (@ThePatriotOfDreumel ), Talbot (@Sancronis ), myself and a representative of the crown, ideally in a joint IC, discussing the future of the STC - of course only if it is in our power, what the charter suggests.))

With the matters of the EBC not requiring his attention for some time, Ximeno turns his attention towards his office. Master of the Coin. As he is in London, he doesn't need to write any letter at least, and can present his ideas directly. Always the better choice.
Announcing Mister Ximeno Arantxez, Master of the Coin.
'Your Majesty, the kingdom's economy has made great steps towards recovery, even if Ireland was exposed to that terrible famine.' He pauses, thinking about the gains his men had made with grain these years. 'Yet we cannot rest now. I feel that the kingdom has to invest much into the infrastructure if we are to continue to move forward.
So I propose to build marketplaces, along the English coast, in Gascogne, Normandy and Calais. It may seem expensive, but it can only increase the overall wealth of the kingdom of England.
There is something else I have to adress. The leaders of the STC, the brothers Morgan', he spreads his arms, 'are both in prison, as you know. For now, the STC has managed to continue fairly well without them, but as a merchant myself, I can say that I would not conduct any business with criminals if I can avoid it. Forgery, even! How can one trust your contract partner if he may forge documents of all sorts, from mere deals over some minor wares to execution warrants if the competition is annoying? I cannot imagine that the traders in the East can ignore such a reputation. I have invited all shareholders of the STC to meet and discuss that problem, and I need to know what the crown's stance towards this is. I therefore ask who shall represent the crown's interests in the meeting - I will represent the EBC's 15%, so I am not well suited to speak for the crown.'

Reactions:
"An entire new Island, Unclaimed. Its a miracle." Was what Edward shouted when he got the letter from the explorer Wolfe, he was the colonist so Wolfe was telling him to get ready to go. So I better tell the queen that I plan to get the supplies and money, to go immediately to the Island and find suitable a base camp. From what his son Peter had told him, it was called Greenland and the name itself tells you it will be a great place to settle, a land of Green, though it is in the north so there wont be that much.

Though supplies would be hard to get, with the recent famine in Ireland many of the spare food will have gone there. But maybe many of the Irish will leave and join him resulting in a fast way to build up the colony. Edward must act fast before Norway or Denmark snatch the island from when he thought the Island was safe.

Though the reason Edward had been gone these past few years, was too gather the equipment of the printing press and paper from Germany. Not only had he bought it at a discount, he had also found out how to make his own versions without having to rely on foreign merchants. Edward asked Peter, "My son has anyone else started an idea similar to mine." "Why yes," Peter replied "Robert of Huntingdon has and has started acquiring his own machines."

Edward thought, they could work together and make even more profit. "Thank you for your help Peter, but at the moment I will be returning Home, keep up the good work at the port, oh yes how is your newborn son, George."
"George, is fine you can already see he is quite strong, though I wont keep you, I will see you at dinner."

Edward then quickly returned home, he was surprised by Lollard's openly on the streets and the nearby guards doing nothing. A butcher seeing his confusion replied. "The queen denied the Archbishop of York against killing the Lollard's in Leeds, the queen refused and the archbishop resigned in disgrace, now they have come here to Scarborough, its getting out of control." Edward bought some bacon off the butcher for his help and returned home, he though "Wow the country has changed."
Getting home Edward got to work of writing those letters.

I would like to offer my first task of the colonizer for the crown.
With the discovery of the new island of Greenland, once Wolfe has discovered suitable base camps, I would need supplies and people to set up colonies.
While I can of course get my own supplies and convince people to join, and you need to people to work in the army and supplies to help Ireland, any help is appreciated.
From Edward Andrews

I would like to offer an arrangement, while I could unfortunately not help Ireland as I was away in Germany, I can in the future.
I am going to set up a colonial settlement in Greenland, I would like to gather colonists from Ireland, mainly meath as they know the most English.
You would get a advantage as if any future famines happen, I will help supply Ireland with fish and more food, stooping starvation.
Lets hope an agreement can happen.
From Edward Andrews.

I have heard that we have similar ideas of the printing press.
You want it to help the countries administrative and diplomatic abilities to help the country, and I want to create the news.
If we work together we can improve this than either one of us on our own.
I will wait for your reply
Edward Andrews.

((Great update as usual:p.))

((@alscon We have already built marketplaces in most of those provinces. If you want you can load up the save game (requires you to have all DLCs though).
We have marketplaces in
London
Essex
Calais
Caux
Gascogne

Temples have been built in
London
Oxfordshire
Yorkshire
Meath

We have not built any barrack.
Also we have quite a lot of transport ships (22) because after having integrating Leinster we took over their fleet. I am not sure if we need that many. The transports are currently mothballed. ))

((to shareholders of the STC))
The Crown agrees to such a meeting and shall be represented by Thomas Lancaster, the late king's younger brother. A new head needs to be elected quickly because the Morgan brothers cannot be entrusted with such a prestigious position. Should the election of a new head fail then the Crown will consider to removal of the royal monopoly that has been granted to STC.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

((to Edward Andrews))
Unfortunately, Wolfe has reported that we cannot explore this inhospitable new land that he discovered any further due to constant supply shortages. Our fleet has no capacity to currently maintain a permanent base in this frozen area. Once we have solved this problem, I will get back to you.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy
((We cannot colonize any provinces until diplomatic technology 7 because our colonial range is too short. So for now no colonization. A colonization mechanic will also be introduced in the near future that also more player involvement in the colonization process.))

Unfortunately, Wolfe has reported that we cannot explore this inhospitable new land that he discovered any further due to constant supply shortages. Our fleet has no capacity to currently maintain a permanent base in this frozen area. Once we have solved this problem, I will get back to you.

((We cannot colonize any provinces until diplomatic technology 7 because our colonial range is too short. So for now no colonization. A colonization mechanic will also be introduced in the near future that also more player involvement in the colonization process.))

Of course, due to the famine there are no available supplies and with the distance the supply ships, probably would not make it in time.
Apologies, my excitement got the better of me and I defiantly do not want anyone else other than this glorious country getting there hands on it. Though when you do need help, I will be the first to offer.
From Edward Andrews.
((We cant even reach Greenland with Iceland didn't expect that, what will the basis of the colonization process be if you have any ideas?))

((We cant even reach Greenland with Iceland didn't expect that, what will the basis of the colonization process be if you have any ideas?))
((I did some testing before we took diplomatic ideas and tested if we can colonize Greenland and my test results were all negative. In the testing we had the idea that give +50% colonial range; an advisor that increases colonial range and had cored Iceland. It's not enough to colonize Greenland. We need dip tech 7 to do that.))

To the court,

I suggest to call the new island 'Lancastria'.

- Henry Walpole

"Gentlemen of the assembly, after the attempted assassination of the crown prince, it is obvious that the country's security is at risk so I shall suggest the following law so that the traitors can be rooted out and destroyed."

Honourable Correspondence Act

1. The foundation of a national post service (with Her Majesty's permission, the Royal Post Service).
2. The prohibition of correspondence by means other than this post service.
2.1 Letters to and from the crown or the royal family are exempt from this.
2.2 During times of war, for security reasons, the military will also be excluded from this.
3. Letters may be read by permitted investigators for rebellious content.
3.1 During peace, they must be royally sanctioned.
3.2 During war or times of crisis, they may be selected by the military.

"Also, I would like to declare that, as my military duties have prevented me from siring more children wife my wife, my only child, Victoria, shall be my heir. Considering how she shall be countess of a province bordering the French pretenders, I shall have her educated with a military focus".[/spoiler]

John Smithe was annoyed that his militia bill had failed in the assembly and wanted to make sure that his next bill was passed so he began to let the word out to that he was paying a lot of money for any sensitive information that could be used for political purposes

((We have already built marketplaces in most of those provinces. If you want you can load up the save game (requires you to have all DLCs though)))

((Did that. There's still plenty of provinces the original plan can count for:
Kent
Lincolnshire
Wessex
Normandie
Yorkshire
Cornwall
Gloucestershire
Lancashire
(Cumbria
Norfolk
Northumberland)
Though as we unlock workshops soon, I might take them into consideration for
Cornwall
Essex
Yorkshire
Gloucestershire
Marches
Gascogne

If anyone wants barracks, he has to request them, otherwise Ximeno won't dispatch any funds for that ;).))

Reactions:
((@alscon Sorry, it was not clear to me that you wanted markets to be built in all those provinces. I understood that you simply wanted a market place in Normandy, Gascogne and Calais. Marketplaces and workshops will then be built in the provinces you named :) Thx!))

2nd Moral Standards Act

((This act is in addition to the 1st Moral Standard Act, not instead of it))
(( done by both Istar and I))

To increase the Churches ability to correctly educate the high born youth in lessons of morality and loyalty to their sovreign we must make sure that a sufficent amount of resources and time is put into this endeavour. To ensure this every bishopric has to build and maintain a school or college or university in their provincial capital or largest city by population depending on other factors.

These schools will be financed and kept in shape in part by the crown and local nobles as well as the church and the local bishopric. In return any men who contribute a significant amount to the building and upkeep of the instituitions will be able to send there children free of charge to be educated there.

Co signed by Robert of Huntingdon, Chancellor and Alexander of Huntingdon, Squire to the Crown Prince and Count of Ayrshire.

((to Ser Bourchier))
You have administrated Reykjavik well I heard. Explorer Wolfe had only said the best about the province. Therefore, Akureyri has been added to your de-faco territory as Duke of Norour Lendir.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

London 1469 - The Royal Chancellory
((The beginning, until the conversation is ended, is a joint IC between me and @SpKampfer))

Robert of Huntingdon was sitting behind his big desk, reading some important messages that had reached him from mainland Europe, he had to pick some new directions for the English foreign policy when it suddenly knocked on his door.

Robert: Rivington, the door.

Rivington opened the door and let Wilhelm Hayk enter.

Wilhelm Hayk: My Honour, Is a pleasure to see you again. I came back from the continent and i am glad to say that i did not came emptyhanded

Robert: Ah Wilhelm, it’s good to see you again and you didn’t come emptyhanded? Does this mean your mission was a success? I need to produce paper and print documents fast, it seems like there is someone who wants to follow our path… Edward Andrews.

Wilhel: Andrews, but i understand he is just the son of a shipbuilder, why would he need paper?

Robert: He wrote me a letter, he wants to publish a newspaper.

Wilhelm: A newspaper? Interesting idea. Well, let me announce to you that i brought with me two experts artisans that would help your honour in the fabrication of paper, they were very happy when I told them of this chance to move to England but I had to expend three ducats to pay for their moving.

Robert: Oh, great! Do you have the two gentleman with you? Do they speak english? When can they start the work? Do they need mechanisms? So much is to do, I want the production to be started as soon as possible!

Wilhelm: Well, they are outside talking with another person that i brought with me, someone that i think you would like to meet. Please Rivington, call Herr John von Speier.

Rivington left the office and, after two minuites had passed, he entered again bringing with him a man of thirty-something; he was a big man, red of hair and with clear blue eyes but with an unusual tan, possibly for living for too long in Venice.

Robert: I welcome you to London, Mister von Speier, I am glad you joined our cause. I want to build the first professional papermill in England here in the Chancellory. Also there shall be a printing workshop so we can produce our own books and letters fast and easy.

John von Speier: So, Wilhelm, das ist der Mann, der in England Bibeln herstellen und veröffentlichen will? (So, Wilhelm this is the guy that wants to publish bibles in England?)

Wihelm: Hüte deine Zunge, das ist der Kanzler von England, wir sind nicht mehr bei diesen Ketzern, die von dir ihre überarbeiteten Bibeln gedruckt haben wollten. (Behave, this is the Chancellor of England, we are not anymore between those heretics who wanted you to print their “revised bibles”.)

To Robert: Ehem, your honor, this here is John von Speier who not only knows the secrets of the Guttenberg press but also has improved the mechanism of the artifact, allowing it to print high quality books with the Roman type, making them easier to read. His experience, plus the expertise of the other two gentleman would be useful in the first stages of this project.

Robert was surprised by the way the german bookprinter had acted. This man had to learn to pay him the necessary respect. He decided to not show him that he could understand most of what the two germans had talked about.

Robert: Good, well done Wilhelm. Do the germans speak a bit of english? If not then I’ll have a longer lasting job for you. I’d need someone to supervise the paper and book production.

Wilhelm: The artisans know some basic expressions but Herr Speier here speaks a decent english, he is just too proud when it comes to talking another language different of German.

Von Speier: I’m sorry my Lord, I never met a person with a noble expression like yours. In Venice, when the Doge wanted something, he sent some courier with a letter. I apologize for my rudeness.

Robert: If you want to work here, Herr von Speier, you have to learn your manners! I can make you the first professional printer in England and under your supervision we could create the first mechanical printed books on the islands, but you have to follow my orders and those of Mister Hayk, do you understand?

Von Speier: I understand my lord, I would start with the construction of the printing press as soon as possible, Herr Hayk already provided me with some materials to start with it.

Wilhelm: Yes, i had to use 10 ducats to pay for those and the rest of it in traveling expenses. Materials in the continent are getting expensive with all the recent conflicts.

Robert: The money was given to you to be spent, everything that matters now is the start of the production. I’ll give you the supervision for this, if you accept Wilhelm, take one of the rooms in the Chancellory and use it for the manufactury. If you need more space we can talk about erecting a building on it’s own. One room in the Chancellory has to be enough for now though.

Wilhelm: I understand, we will start immediately, but i think it is wise to think about a building, something tells me the paper will get popular very fast. Well, we will retire for today.

Von Speier: It was a pleasure, my Lord.

Robert: I hope you can start your work soon, I’ll wish to hear from your successes as soon as possible, Wilhelm and Herr von Speier. I’ll speak to the Queen about a seperate building for the paper mills, but for today you are relieved.

Now that the buisness with Hayk has been finished, Robert started to come back to his thoughts he had before the meeting. England had overcome two of his great former enemies, Denmark and Burgundy, and now was the time for higher and more ambitious goals. Who could even stand before the might that was the english realm? Only some where eligable for this great honour, Robert thought:

GJTuXZw.png

Many of these countries where way too far away for England to be of significant interest and others where allready friends and great allies. The only ones that could actually be attacked where Sweden and Hungary, but the latter only to strengthen Austria which didn't seem right to Robert. The austrians where strong allready and one big failure in one of the english wars could invite them to rebel against their rightfull Queen. Therefore he chose Sweden, an easy fruit ripe for the harvest, and Aragon as new official enemies of England. Declaring Aragon as a rival would strengthen the allready good relations with Castile while making Hungary, who where allied to Castille, a rival would weaken the alliance. And the Castilians where the strongest allies England had at the moment, even if their generals wheren't allways quite as usefull as expected.

One more important matter had to be thought of: The crown had new diplomatic capabilities after integrating Leinster and looked for a new ally on the european mainland. Three choices where obvious for Robert: Hungary and Poland where strong eastern Powers outside of the Holy Roman Empire that could be strong defensive allies at the moment. The third choice was of different kind: The Ottoman Empire had send letters to signal their friendlyness and willingness for an alliance.
"But this would be outrageous, if we allied those heathens," Robert thought, "even if someone had allready presented this possibility to the Assembly this would weaken our prestige with the other christian rulers in Europe." Poland would be the best choice for now, Robert thought, they where in a better position then Hungary and therefore less likeley to need english help and it made a road into Hungary, if it would be called for, still possible. Robert pulled an empty parchment out of one of the stacks and wrote a letter to the Queen.

Your Majesty Queen Elizabeth I.,
I write you about the matters of our foreign policies. The Realm needs new targets for it's ambition and I feel that Aragon and Sweden are the best choices for this. Declaring Aragon as an official rival would strengthen our alliance with Castile and Sweden could be one of our next targets in Scandinavia, when we are finished with Norway. The kingdom can seek for new alliances as well and I recommend to you to seek the friendship of King Stefan I. Lichnowsky of Poland. He can support us in our coming struggles on the mainland. I am sure you'll agree with my choices.
I have an favour to ask from you aswell, Your Majesty. I have sent one of my assistants, Wilhelm Hayk, to the Empire to aquire us the means to manufacture our own paper and print our own books. The possibilities this can give to us are not easily to fathom. We could increase the speed and amount in which letters and books would be produced and distributed. That would better our diplomatic and administrative possibilities. This had cost 20 ducats that I subbed to him out of the coffers of the Chancellory. If we want to increase our producion capabilities we should however built an extra building for the manufacturing. I'll let you consider this, Your Majesty, and if you want to bring it to the Assembly to be voted upon I can write an act about it.
As this I remain your humble servant,
Robert of Huntingdon, Chancellor.

A last letter had to be sent, an answer to Edward Andrews who wanted to start printing himself.
"This can't be done out of my supervision." Robert decided:

Dear Mister Andrews,
it seems quite interesting to me that you start your endeavours in paperproduction and printing at the same time as the Chancellory does. I don't mean you ill Mister Andrews, but I am not delighted to hear about this. The production of paper as well as the ability to print as fast as with a printing press with mechanical letters has to be under royal control so it doesn't give the ability to easily spread treacherous or heretic views to some random man in the kingdom. As you surely understand we live in times where we can't trust these great machines to the public when people get killed in the streets of London, Assassins try to kill the Crown Prince and lollard Heretics spread their vile words. If you are eager to write about news and use paper to print those I give you the unique and ultimate chance to join my Assistant Wilhelm Hayk and his men in the Royal Chancellory.
I hope you understand my concerns,
Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I thank you, most gracious Queen, that you have trusted my judgement to govern another province, I shall make sure to manage this new de facto land as if I owned one province, not the two you have now so bequeathed to my keeping. I do ask however, should the New landmass, which I think is the fabled "Greenland" of Nordic tales, be settable, that I can administrate these too, under my duchy, oh wonderful Queen?

Concerning the Austrians, I feel that we should take a small amount of money from them, but be moderate my Queen, their central location in the heart of Europe, and on the door steps to the Holy Roman Empire, you do not want to lose such a powerful subject.

I wish you and the household well,
I hope that I may see you soon,
Yours ever faithfully,
Duke James A. Bourchier

Last edited:
((@ThePatriotOfDreumel , @Sancronis :
We are doing the business meeting tomorrow, what's your stance on a change in leadership of the STC if you can't participate?))

Reactions:
I should not have contacted Robert, was what Edward said too his son. He had too work with Robert and his group if he could print at all.
"Though their is a way around this" Peter replied, "We say that unfortunately, the deal is unacceptable. The cost of lost money due to purchasing the printing machines, contacting the lumber mills and hiring people, would make us bankrupt. But we could say we publish independently, but have members of the government such as Robert go over the work and censor any unfavroble news."

Edward had too admit, it was a good idea, he had already gotten into contact with some lumber mills in Northumberland around Kielder, and was already planning the building off the paper making buildings and the actual printing press, both in Leeds as the land was cheap, and also how to train people to use and build more.
He would use his already existing company to transport the newspapers, problem would be only the aristocracy and middle class would bye as they would know how to read.
But Edward would be dammned if Robert would try and stop him.

Robert, I have no plans to betray this country. I have been a member of the assembly since the 40s and am the head colonised for the crown.
Also if I were to agree, it would cost too much. The plans are already in motion and basic construction, has started. If I was too stop I would face bankruptcy.
Though if you do worry about traitors , I have a solution. You can read the newspaper before it is printed and you can censor damaging information. Stopping any threat.
I hope we can come to an agreement.
From Edward Andrews
((Edit Does by unique and ultimate, mean I have to accept it now.))

I thank you, most gracious Queen, that you have trusted my judgement to govern another province, I shall make sure to manage this new de facto land as if I owned one province, not the two you have now so bequeathed to my keeping. I do ask however, should the New landmass, which I think is the fabled "Greenland" of Nordic tales, be settable, that I can administrate these too, under my duchy, oh wonderful Queen?

Concerning the Austrians, I feel that we should take a small amount from them, but be moderate my Queen, their central location in the heart of Europe, and on the door steps to the Holy Roman Empire, you do not want to lose such a powerful subject.

I wish you and the household well,
I hope that I may see you soon,
Yours ever faithfully,
Duke James A. Bourchier
((to Ser BOurchier))
James,
Explorer Wolfe reported that the land seems not coloniziable because it is too far away from any of our bases to supply it. We do not even know how large this land mass is so a decision cannot be made whether it can be become a part of Norour Lendir or not. I suggest you come back to me once we have actually colonized it.

I will instruct some men to make sure that income will be siphoned from the Austrias. They surely won't like that but I assume you now what you are doing.

((To Robert of Huntingdon))
Chancellor Huntingdon,
Very well, we shall rival the Aragonese and Swedish and seek a new alliance with Poland.

Regarding your construction plans for a printing press, I am willing to provide you with 200 ducats. Should you believe that these prove to be sufficient then only the Master of Coin needs to green light this project and you are free to build it. I suggest Oxfordshire as construction site.

Hudson laughed as he read the letter.
"Ha, so the fools found land, eh?"
He called to servant-boy to fetch more wine
"What's the point? Who lives on this Island, bears? Surely nothing of value can be found on this rock. We must focus our attention on our enemies! We will surely face the traitorous French on the fields of battle soon! There is no point in wasting time seeking worthless dirt out in the middle of nowhere!"

Reactions: