• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
mpk2
In my previous UK games i normally try to have around 12-16 interceptors available in the SE part especially the dover and portsmouth areas. Of course this also depends on how quickly if at all France falls. I currently have a game were i stopped the germans cold at the river that runs through belgium and the UK has yet to fall under german air attacks as of the middle of 1942.

Slowly building them up now, then maybe I can send some abroad for cover

Redandwhite
A very interesting and well written AAR. Keep them coming.

An observation that might help. You need to check the "prioritise for replacement and reinforcement" box on your units or they will not upgrade.

In my experience (which may not be relevent to the type of game you want to pursue), the RN is a powerful tool, but if you spread yourself too thinly you will not have sufficient strength to gain superiority.

Out of interest, what version and mods are you playing and what difficulty level are you using?

Good luck

Many thanks, hopefully it will get better as it progresses

I never noticed those boxes, but they will be checked right away!

I think the Navy is still thin in areas, but i need to build up the Army and Air Force before I re-enforce the Navy

Im Playing SF with the 2.03 update, I have no mods as i dont quite know how to install them yet, I will do eventually tho, would like the HPP Mod! and as its my first time playing, ive got it set to normal, lame i know

TheBromgrev
Looking good so far. Where did you get the picture at the end? Did you find a blank map and fill it in?

Thank you,
I just googled maps of the British Empire, modified the Empire to match HoI and then just added the writing and Colour code

Hi,

interesting read sofar.

Don`t scrap your old ships, give/sell them to your Allies and they`ll find use for them.

Rgds, Oldtimer

1.5 URGENT MESSAGE FROM HIGH COMMAND​

saudi-arabia-flag.jpg

In 1932, the two kingdoms of the Hejaz and Nejd were united as the 'Kingdom of Saudi Arabia'
Boundaries with Jordan, Iraq, and Kuwait were established by a series of treaties negotiated in the 1920s, with two "neutral zones" created, one with Iraq and the other with Kuwait. The country's southern boundary with Yemen was partially defined by the 1934 Treaty of Ta'if, which ended a brief border war between the two states.[18]
Abdul Aziz's military and political successes were not mirrored economically until vast reserves of oil were discovered in 1934, in the Al-Hasa region along the Gulf coast, this is what Britain need.

KingAziz.jpg

**** TOP SECRET ****

Map2.jpg

The order to begin the planning of an invasion of Saudi Arabia was issued at 0600 this morning, at this time the plan is in its early stages, but a brief template of what is required had been included.

The plan calls for 3 Armoured Corpses to launch a 3 pronged attack from different directions! The West of the country is mainly rocky and mountainous and intel suggests there are no forces operating in this area. The attack would begin at around Dusk, to allow the Armour to move across the desert under the cover of darkness. Jordan, UAE and Yemen will be the starting points for the invasion and will move inland before creating a circle around ar-Riyad. Lack of opposition should make this a very simple invasion, in theory. If available, 2 wings of Spitfires will be used for Close Air Support.

At this time there is no date set for this invasion, but High Command have requested that a plan be put together immediately and hastened back to HQ.​

OLDTIMER
Hi,

interesting read sofar.

Don`t scrap your old ships, give/sell them to your Allies and they`ll find use for them.

Rgds, Oldtimer

I didnt realise you could give units to Allies! :confused: I needed the manpower so scrapped them! im not sure CVL would be much use, id rather just have 1 CV!

Carriers are always useful. I used a fleet in my Germany AAR that had, as its core, 2 BBs and 2 CVLs and I sunk a huge portion of the RN and MN. My CAGs were the only ones that scored fatal hits on capital ships, so don't think CVL's are worthless. The air vs. naval aspect of the game is way too unbalanced now, so CAGs rule the waves when using SF.

TheBromgrev
Carriers are always useful. I used a fleet in my Germany AAR that had, as its core, 2 BBs and 2 CVLs and I sunk a huge portion of the RN and MN. My CAGs were the only ones that scored fatal hits on capital ships, so don't think CVL's are worthless. The air vs. naval aspect of the game is way too unbalanced now, so CAGs rule the waves when using SF.

Well its what happened in real life, the Carrier took over the role of the Battleship

I have 10 Carriers at the minute, split into 5 Task Groups, 1 in home waters, 2 in the Med and 2 in the Far East. Each TG consists of 2CV +4 CAG, 3BC and 4DD to act as pickets/fodder, see what happens with that.

As far as I can see, neither Germany nor Italy have carriers and Japan hasnt even moved, its not even touched Nat China and its almost 1939? Ive got the option to sign a millitary alliance with them, but dont want to get sucked into that war just yet!!

OH CRAP ARMORED CORPSES!!!

But in all seriousness. Nice AAR

they are actually armoured divisions, my mistake!

is that 'oh crap' in a good or bad way, haha

thanks for the big-up

1.6 November 1937 to November 1938 - Tensions Mount

Timeline of Events

18th December – Ireland, Switzerland and Belgium sign a military alliance with Britain

21st December – Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first feature-length animated cartoon with sound, opens in Los Angeles

21st January – Poland Mobilizes

9th March – 9 New British Heavy Cruisers are Re-named
82.png

12th March,
- Belgium and Switzerland Reject entry into the Allies
- Norway and Sweden sign military alliance with Britain
- Belgium Mobilizes

March 13th – Germany Annex Austria,

Bundesarchiv_Bild_119-52432C_Wien2C_Arthur_SeyC39F-Inquart2C_Adolf_Hitler.jpg
Adolf Hitler in Austria​

After the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of the First World War, the majority of the German speaking people in Austria wanted to unite with the new German Republic. However, this was forbidden by the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.
Demands for the union (Anschluss) of Austria and Germany increased after Adolf Hitler became German Chancellor. In February, 1938, Hitler invited Kurt von Schuschnigg, the Austrian Chancellor, to meet him at Berchtesgarden. Hitler demanded concessions for the Austrian Nazi Party. Schuschnigg refused and after resigning was replaced by Arthur Seyss-Inquart, the leader of the Austrian Nazi Party. On 13th March, Seyss-Inquart invited the German Army to occupy Austria and proclaimed union with Germany.
Austria was now renamed Ostmark and was placed under the leadership of Arthur Seyss-Inquart. The Austrian born Ernst Kaltenbrunner was named Minister of State and head of the Schutz Staffeinel (SS).

83.png

14th March – Denmark Mobilize

16th March – Netherlands Mobilize

17th March – 5th and 6th Carrier Fleets Deploy to the Far East. The fleet includes Carriers HMS Victorious, Indomitable, Glorious and Courageous

20th March - The Royal Navys Fleet overhaul is Complete
87.png
88.png
89.png
90.png
91.png
92.png
93.png
94.png
95.png
96.png
97.png
98.png
99.png
100.png

With the amout of ships the Fleet now posess, coverage in home waters and in the Med is much more widespread​
85.png
Homewater Protection​
84.png
Coverage in the Med

29th March – Persia signs military alliance with Britain

24th April – Italy joins the Axis, forming the tripartite!

3b12442u_lrg.jpg
Tripartite Pact is signed​

‘The Tripartite Pact between Japan, Germany, and Italy, 1938
The Governments of Japan, Germany, and Italy consider it as the condition precedent of any lasting peace that all nations in the world be given each its own proper place, have decided to stand by and co-operate with one another in their efforts in Greater East Asia and the regions of Europe respectively wherein it is their prime purpose to establish and maintain a new order of things, calculated to promote the mutual prosperity and welfare of the peoples concerned. It is, furthermore, the desire of the three Governments to extend cooperation to nations in other spheres of the world that are inclined to direct their efforts along lines similar to their own for the purpose of realizing their ultimate object, world peace. Accordingly, the Governments of Japan, Germany and Italy have agreed as follows:

ARTICLE 1. Japan recognizes and respects the leadership of Germany and Italy in the establishment of a new order in Europe.

ARTICLE 2. Germany and Italy recognize and respect the leadership of Japan in the establishment of a new order in Greater East Asia.

ARTICLE 3. Japan, Germany, and Italy agree to cooperate in their efforts on aforesaid lines. They further undertake to assist one another with all political, economic and military means if one of the Contracting Powers is attacked by a Power at present not involved in the European War or in the Japanese-Chinese conflict.

ARTICLE 4. With a view to implementing the present pact, joint technical commissions, to be appointed by the respective Governments of Japan, Germany and Italy, will meet without delay.

ARTICLE 5. Japan, Germany and Italy affirm that the above agreement affects in no way the political status existing at present between each of the three Contracting Powers and Soviet Russia.

ARTICLE 6. The present pact shall become valid immediately upon signature and shall remain in force ten years from the date on which it becomes effective. In due time, before the expiration of said term, the High Contracting Parties shall, at the request of any one of them, enter into negotiations for its renewal'

25th April – Yugoslavia Mobilize

22nd May – Luxembourg Mobilize

11th June – Czechoslovakia Mobilize

26th August – Hungary joins the Allies

12th September – King George V dies

George20V.jpg
On George V passing, Edward VIII is proclaimed King

1700hours – 27th September 1938 – Munich Agreement & Peace in Our Time

A deal was reached on 27 September, and at about 5pm on 27 September 1938, Adolf Hitler, Neville Chamberlain, Benito Mussolini and Édouard Daladier signed the Munich Agreement. The agreement was officially introduced by Mussolini although in fact the so-called Italian plan had been prepared in the German Foreign Office. It was nearly identical to the Godesberg proposal: the German army was to complete the occupation of the Sudetenland by 10 October, and an international commission would decide the future of other disputed areas.
Czechoslovakia was informed by Britain and France that it could either resist Nazi Germany alone or submit to the prescribed annexations. The Czechoslovak government, realizing the hopelessness of fighting the Nazis alone, reluctantly capitulated and agreed to abide by the agreement. The settlement gave Germany the Sudetenland starting 10 October, and de facto control over the rest of Czechoslovakia as long as Hitler promised to go no further. On September 28th after some rest, Chamberlain went to Hitler and asked him to sign a peace treaty between the United Kingdom and Germany. After Hitler's interpreter translated it for him, he happily agreed.
On 30 September, upon his return to Britain, Chamberlain delivered his famous "peace for our time" speech to delighted crowds in London, but would the peace last?

MunichAgreement_.jpg
'PEACE IN OUR TIME'

Last edited:
1.7 November 1937 – The Autumn of Change​

1st November – Japan Declare war on Shanxi and Yunnan.

152.png

The Japanese are making rapid advances

Chinese_soldiers_1939.jpg
Chinese Soldiers move towards the frontline

As Japan declared war, allies, Germany and Italy follow suit, increasing threat throughout the world​
141.png

French Military advisors have stated that huge amounts of German Armour and Infantry are gathering on their border and have requested fighter cover to be sent. Britain has sent 4 wings to France as a precaution and are monitoring developments.​
149.png

Meanwhile Polish Officials state that there is a low amount of military activity on their border and some of the units are moving away from the front.​
150.png

2nd November,
-South Africa and New Zealand join the Allies
-Portugal signs military alliance with Britain

4th November – Sinkiang join the Comintern

8th November – Australia, Brazil and Peru sign military alliance with Britain

On the morning of the 9th November, military commanders from each of the armed services, make a presentation to the PM of the current state of the 3 services and areas of improvement. Experts believe the a war could be possible, but not for a year or possibly even 2. The PM dismisses these claims, stating, it was only 16 days ago that Adolf Hitler promised peace. Over the past 2 years the military has doubled in size, but is spread very thin, all areas need major re-enforcements.

145.png

Corporal_2C_East_Surrey_Regiment_1940.jpg
A Corporal in the British Army assaulting a mock gun position​

147.png
31620Hawker20Hurricane20XIIa20Z514020G-HURI20HAC.jpg

Hawker Hurricane, 1st Fighter Wing, Southern England

146.png
Greatest Navy in the World

BREAKDOWN OF THE ARMED FORCES
137.png
138.png
139.png
140.png

Data presented to the Prime minister

10th November – The German foreign minister requests an audience with the British PM at 1000 on the 11th November…………………..

(Note: Future Updates will include much more descriptive writing) ;)

Last edited:
Following this for sure, probably going to start my own UK game because of it!

thanks for following!

well its my first AAR but really getting into it! its starting to get interesting now!

1.8 - 11th Hour of the 11th Day on the 11th Month, 1938 - The Armistice

It is exactly 20 years since the armistice between the Allies and Germany was signed in a railway carriage in Compiègne Forest on 11 November 1918, and marked the end of fighting in the First World War on the Western Front. Principal signatories were Marshal Ferdinand Foch, the Allied Commander-in-chief, and Matthias Erzberger, Germany's representative. It was an agreement that marked a complete defeat and humiliation of Germany.

1000hrs - German Officials meet with the British Prime Minister. The meeting is believed to be regarding trade deals and discussions about the future of Czecholslovakia.
1025hrs - German Officials depart and the British PM emerges from his office with a worrying look on his face. He calls for a meeting with senior Goverment and Military leaders and conveys what he has just been told to them.
1101hrs - Wirelesses programmes accross the country are suddenly interrupted by the sound of the PM's voice........................

Chapter II​

2.1 – November 11th 1938 – One Minute Past Eleven​

the wireless goes silent…………… crackles……….then the PM speaks,
I am speaking to you from the cabnet room at 10 Downing Street,

At 10 o’clock this morning, I met with German officials who had arrived from their embassy in London,

It quickly became apparent that the talks, meant to be regarding trade and diplomacy, was not the real reason Germany asked for this meeting,

It has come as a shock to me that the peace talks of just 16 days ago have failed,

Germany has viewd Britains military build up over the last year as aggresive and threatening and as such needs to take measures to ensure the security of the German Empire

On this Armistice Day, 20 years to the hour and day, I regret to inform you, the British people, that this country is again at war with Germany
Britain is not fooled by this excuse, Germany has long had ambitions for expansion and is mearly using our securing of our shores, as a reason to wage war,

We have the full backing of our Allies and call for the rest of the world to unite under one flag, the flag of peace and forge the greatest alliance the world has seen to rid the world of this tyrant Adolf Hitler,

Godbless you all,

…………………….silence!

ww2_war_declared.jpg

1105 - Great Britain is now at war with Germany!!!

1600 – The Allies Declare war on Germany, shortly followed by Estonia and Switzerland

12th November – British submarines operating in the English Channel sink a German transport ship, this is the first action of the War.
219.png

13th November – Germany begins an invasion of the Netherlands in the early hours. Rapidly advancing Armour supported by Stuka bombers enable them to puch into the provinces of, Venlo, Enchende and Wincholen by 1600

(from now on I’ll be playing a week at a time and updating every 2 days)
(next update, the first major naval engagement of the war)​

2.2 November 14th 1936 – First Contact​

NAVY - BATTLE REPORT

Sea Battles of Kattegat and Skagerrack

170-1.png
4th Battleship Fleet​

On the fine autumn morning of 8th November, the Royal Navy’s 4th Battleship Fleet sailed from Plymouth. HMS Queen Elizabeth, a 33,000 ton First World War Dreadnought was the lead ship. Her 8 Mk 1, 15inch Guns packed a heavy punch, but when combined with HMS Royal Sovereign, which also had 15inch Guns, it was deadly partnership. Also sailing with Battleships were the Destroyers HMS Silverton, HMS Oakley, HMS Puckeridge and HMS Wheatland, who would act as pickets to distract direct fire away from the main body.
The first 3 days of the 5 week patrol were quiet! The ships patrolling the area of Dogger Bank. On the afternoon of the 11th, the message was received that Britain was now at war with Germany, the small fleet immidiatley went to Action Stations (Battle Stations/General Quarters).​

Declaration_of_war_naval_message.jpg
The message calling for a speedy end to the War​

The fleet was then ordered to break off its patrol and enter the Baltic Sea and patrol up and down the East coast of Denmark. On the afternoon of the 12th the fleet put into port in Copenhagen for stores and fuel, only staying in for 3 hours, before beginning the transit back up to the North of the Baltic. The night of the 13th was quiet but cold, was a nice sea state 2, and visibility was good to about 8 miles, when a signel came in to expect to make contact with a small German patrol heading North-West, the ships were unknown at this time.​

178-1.png

Battle of Kattegat
First light on the morning of the 14th, the chefs aboard the lead ship HMS Queen Elizabeth had just started to serve breakfast for the forenoon watchkeepers, she smell of bacon was wofting through the ship. Up on the bridge the morning watch keepers continued to monitor the horizon for the German fleet, not long till the watch change. The ships were sailing in a line formation, with HMS Royal Sovereign just behind and the 4 Destroyers to the rear.
At 0600 the ships changed course from a North heading and began to sail North-East, then the lookout on the Stbd side of Queen Elizabeth sighted smoke on the horizon bearing 095, the general alarm was quickly sounded and flashing light signals sent to the rest of the ships behind, this was to be the first contact of the Royal Navy and Kriegsmarine of the War.
Seeing that the Germans only had 2 Cruisers, the 4 British Destroyers broke off to Stbd to engage while the Battleships continued North. The German ships were then identified as KMS Roon and KMS Carl Freidrich, who then began firing the first salvos at the British Destroyers, Wheatland immidatly taking a hit to her port shoulder, the Silverton then moved onto her Port beam to create a shield and was then hit aft, the 4 ships then turn sharply to port and pass behind the German ships.
Meanwhile the 2 Battleships, fire their first salvos the the Germans who are now approching them to Stbd, the first salvos straddle the Roon, the gunners on Queen Elizabeth make the adjustments before firing another salvo, which hits the Roon midships. The British ships then release smoke and turn to port to cover the turn, the German ships cant see the Battleships for a few minutes, on clearing the smoke the 2 sets of ships are running parallel to each other, Queen Elizabeth and Royal Sovereign fire and the Roon and Freidrich take major hits, the Roons fwd Turret is out and the Friedrich is hit just below the Bridge.

salvos.jpg
Salvos

The British Destroyers are now on the Stbd side when Wheatland takes a massive hit. The German ships which far out-pace the British, break off and head, North-East while the British continue to head North while the Wheatland carries out damage control, her strength is down with over 60% of her guns out of action, so she drops to the rear with Oakley and Puckeridge covering her.

169.png

kattegat-1.jpg

The Battle of Skagerrack
As the sun dips below the horizon, the ships company reflect on the days events, the crew of the Wheatland have been working hard and are back upto 75% strength, although she and the Silverton will now stay with the Battleships if they encounter German ships.
Just after 1700, a large formation of ships were spotted NNE, heading West, the ships were split into 2 main bodies. The most northern body containing KMS’s Hindenburg, Deutschland, Admiral Scheer and Emden, the southern group contained KMS’s Ludendorff, the Roon and Freidrich, who hust have sailed north to meet with the rest of the fleet, and also 2 destroyer squadrons.
admiralscheer.jpg
KMS Admiral Scheer​
Oakley and Puckeridge break off to port to draw fire away from the main body, this time the Germans also have the advantage of longer range guns. The norther group of German ships continue west, while the southers group turn to port at full speed and head south to engage the 2 single British Destroyers. As the ships approach, a flurry of salvos erupt from both sets of ships, the German accuracy is spot on, landing 2 hits on the Oakley, while Puckeridge gets a sole hit on one of the Destroyers
174-1.png
The northern group containing Heavy Cruisers Deutschland and Admiral Scheer adjust course and make a aim for the Britsh Heavyweights, first salvo from Queen Elizabeth slams into KMS Emden’s bridge, heavily crippling the ship, almost as soon as the salvos hit, 4 huge explosions rip into the stbd side of the Queen Elizabeth. The Royal Sovereign has no view of the German ships as there is too much smoke billowing out our her partner ship so is unable to engage, but with only herself and 2 damaged destroyers they wouldn’t last long against the German ships.
Meanwhile, the other group of ships have turned full cricle and are training their guns on each other once again, although now the other German ships, including Hindenburg also have their guns trained on them, the Destroyers are sitting ducks. Oakley gets a salvo away, hitting a Destroyer at the waterline (she would sink later), the German ships then fired. Oakley and Puckeridge are peppered with hits, large and small, both ships are heavily damaged! The DC teams are struggling to cope with the flooding and the pumps are overwhelmed, the order is given to abandon the ships.
Heavily damaged on her Stbd side, Queen Elizabeth slows to a stop, huge hole in her side, with hundreds of tonns of water puring in, there is no way to save her and after a few minutes she capsizes and goes under. Royal Sovereign beats a hasty retreat along with damaged Wheatland and Silverton, while satisfied with their kills the German Fleets begin to head West, back to port for repairs.

220-1.png
On hearing of the loss of HMS Queen Elizabeth, the Admiralty discussed the possibility of grouping ships together in larger numbers, whilst doubling the number of submarine patrols, with being only a few days into the war Naval leaeders are concerned the fleets are too stretched and don’t have enough strength in depth. The Second Carrier Fleet has also been recalled from the Med to assist with the threat posed by Germany and expected to re-fuel, re-store and take up position in the English Channel.​

QECREST.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant stuff Robbie. Thrilling description of naval warfare. I assume Hindenburg and Ludendorff must be Bismarck Class BB?

thank you very much, took a while to think of that and make up the mini battle map! think im getting the hang of this AAR stuff now! hopefully I can transfer the naval battle descriptions over to my land battle, which in my game is a bit crazy right now!

they are indeed Bismarck Class BB's! Both of which were never built! I didnt wanna peak to soon with BB Warfare, so didnt include them in this particular battle, im going to save it for when my fleets of BB's meet up!!