• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Naval War: Arctic Circle has reached the end of its development, and patches or DLC
for the title will no longer be produced under the Paradox Interactive brand.

We are aware that a few users are unable to play the game at all, and we ask that
with such problems to please contact us through paradox.zendesk.com to discuss
a solution for issues that arise. Please note, we will focus on cases involving game
breaking issues (i.e. being unable to complete the campaigns) due to technical
problems. Smaller issues that render a certain scenario unplayable because
of unexpected behavior (i.e. spawning 15 carriers and launching all airplanes
at the same time, thus causing memory crashes) will take a backseat to the
aforementioned game breaking issues. We will, of course, review any complaints
sent to us.

When contacting us through zendesk, please describe the issue and how it is
triggered (along with possible error messages), a screenshot of Naval War Arctic Circle in your steam library along with your description of the issue. Please also send your Steam user name (the name you login to steam with, NOT your password) and we will get back to you.

Thank you for sticking with us for this game and we apologize to those who, as of
yet, have been unable to play it. We hope that all the people who played Naval War:
Arctic Circle did (and do) enjoy it.

Best Regards,
Paradox Interactive and Turbo Tape games

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea this game has this many problems. Only problem I have is sometimes when I make a new mission the planes or boats won't fire missiles. If I exit to editor and start the mission again it works. Other than that I've had no problems. Not claiming others doesn't have problems, just that this came as a huge surprise to me.

This was the problem for TT. The issues reported were scattered and they were unable to reproduce them. Without being able to reproduce, it's hard to solve :(

I bought it and I am very disappointed. Just does not work as should (freezes). How can you sell a game like that?

Did you read the first post in this thread?

Mmm.... more or less, Bjorn. I remember lots of users posting their complete logs - literally, dozens of users did. And besides, though the number of unhappy users was far above normal, they were all complaining about one specific freeze problem, which as I recall, was traced down to a windows XP compatibility issue. It is expected that a game should pose problems in different machines and configurations, but this was not your tipical case-study of a developer team being beaten by the lack of feedback.

The information I got from the development team was that they did everything they could to reproduce it, but they couldn't. The reasons for this I will not speculate in.

Really? They couldn't? Bjorn, from what you said some time ago it was more like "every game would crash when launching hundreds of planes from 12 Aircraft carriers". So they WERE able to reproduce it (or they didn't even bother to check).
I'm working as project manager for QA and testing in one of the biggest test companies in the world. We are working with multiple companies inlcuding MS, THQ (ok,not the best example) and EA. In my spare time I was able to reproduce the issue on every single platform we have available. Steps to reproduce it in a simple manner was provided. I ensured that the game was freezing even on high specs gaming PCs with low details settings, just to prove it (ok, on the very high end machines with I7 920 and dual GPUs it was crashing less often, but you could get a freeze after few tries). I could easily share the desktop with the dev team if they wanted to see by themselves.
Bjorn, I know that you were doing your best with the data you had at hand, but the devs were aware of issues even during beta stage.
Oh, and in the end it took me and two friends about two weeks to see where the actual issue for freezing bug is. And it just confirmed that my steps to reproduce the issue were correct, which in my eyes means someone didn't even bother to get down to the issue (btw not being able to launch ordnance is connected to the freezing bug).

I am not involved in the actual development process. I can only collect and try to organize the information you provide and deliver it to the developers so that they can take action. I have been feeding them the information given in here, but they were not able to reproduce the issue still.

The game was designed to pretty much let you create as many units as you please. Sadly eternal unit creation would inevitable lead to the game crashing as the memory would run out sooner or later, and this is what I meant with reports of massive use of units were no good. We knew this would crash the game, but it did not explain why people got the issue when playing "normally".

I am sorry that it did not turn out well for everyone and we have been trying to have a dialogue which deem the game unplayable from purchase.

Bjorn - you did what you could - no one is denying it. I was frustrated, because from my experience and test setup I had at hand - I could easily reproduce it and, to be honest, I just couldn't imagine what can be a configuration of the PC that the bug did not show even once.

You don't even know how close to the core of the problem you are. The game is build in a client-server architecture (you can even see the network connection in windows resource monitor, where there is a data transfer between ports). Freezing bug is just server part crashing. The client and GUI part will still work. The reason WHY the server part is crashing is pretty simple - most of the time it runs out of memory that's allocated as a buffer to send the data via network connection. My steps to repro were creating an event (multiple planes in the air - 72 to be exact, and trying to assign patrol route) which needed more buffer memory that was available to use. As it couldn't allocate enough - it crashed, leaving client side still running - you have a freeze. For normal games it was pretty similar - buffer was slowly filling up (probably because the network routines couldn't cope with transfer of data and/or poor garbage collection) and then crashing. Sorry I'm not giving you specifics, just simple description, but you should see that the issue could be diagnosed not even being the developer of this game...

Bjorn, you were doing fantastic job with this product and it's issues and I thank you for that.

Thank you for the kind words niripas!