• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

truth is life

General
89 Badges
Nov 29, 2007
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For the Motherland
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Bolivia in 1836 is faced with two huge problems: internal dissent between Peruvians and Bolivians and the threat of war with her neighbors, envious of her relative size, population, and wealth. In addition, less than a third of her population is considered national, injuring her ability to industrialize and research.
ScreenSave1.jpg

I immediately focus my attention on military technology, as Bolivia needs every advantage she can scrape together to remain victorious.
ScreenSave0.jpg

Luckily, Bolivia is able to access one really good general at the start, Santa Cruz. His big organization and attrition bonuses greatly aid in invading foreign territories, especially if coupled to high-morale cavalry. Beyond merely acquiring generals and technology, I also reinforce my existing divisions, maximize defense and army spending, and, most importantly, train a single Cavalry-Hussar division, which I immediately join to my existing cavalry corps.
ScreenSave2.jpg

The scripted war with Chile breaks out in just one day after the New Year, 1837. With my forces prepositioned, my strategy is simple: Attack to and capture Santiago, Chile's capital, as rapidly as possible, and force them to give me white peace. With Argentina, defend myself as best I can and hope that I can acquire a white peace. Attempting to force meaningful concessions out of either power is overly risky and dangerous, given the difficulty Bolivia has in merely holding itself together (Austria has nothing on them).
ScreenSave3.jpg

All is going splendidly, with Santiago already under siege from my cavalry (who scythed through Chilean forces just like I expected them to), when Argentina joins against me.
ScreenSave5-1.jpg

One month later, Santiago falls and the war against Chile is ended with no concessions to either side.
ScreenSave6-1.jpg

In October, the first of several attempts at peace are rejected by Argentina. With Bolivian forces trapped in a tiny out-of-supply pocket in the Argentinan Andes, things are looking poor for Bolivia.
ScreenSave7.jpg

Unfortunatley, multiple events fire raising my POPs Con. and Militancy (by as much as +7!!!) Luckily, the first Cavalry Corps under General Santa Cruz is able to make a daring crossing of the Argentinian backcountry, escaping to Bolivia. Upon being informed of the situation in Peru, they immediatly begin to clear the rebels away.
ScreenSave9.jpg

However, the Infantry division that had accompanied them in the invasion of Chile was not able to escape from the pocket, and fell in defense of that pocket, tying up several Argentinian divisions.
ScreenSave10.jpg

Finally, on June 29, 1839, Argentina accepts a white peace, leaving the Peru-Bolivia Confederation bruised but intact.
ScreenSave11.jpg

The Peruvians, however, still want independence and threaten to rise up against Bolivian rule. Harsh military suppression of any revolts is the rule of the day. (Note that this is with max crime funding!)
ScreenSave12.jpg

With the immediate military threat ended, Bolivia's researchers turn away from the army and toward trade. As a vast amount of Bolivian production comes from various agricultural enterprises, and Freedom of Trade is projected to boost the productivity of most of those enterprises, sometimes quite substantially, effort is directed towards that technology.
ScreenSave13.jpg

In early October 1839, General Santa Cruz, the Hero of Bolivia, dies after an accident while riding to put down another wave of revolts in Peru. At that point, the army was merely days away from its objective, Puno. (And yes, my really good general died literally an instant before reaching the rebel forces).
ScreenSave14.jpg

Luckily, an even more skilled young officer, Ballivian, is found and promoted to command the Bolivian army. (And yes, he is perfect given what Bolivia is currently doing! Its like the game read my mind!).
ScreenSave15.jpg

Between the general and the adooption of Jomian military theory by the Bolivian General Staff, Bolivian forces have an incredible morale, which is very useful given the miltary threat to Bolivia.
ScreenSave16.jpg

By February 1841, Bolivia is in a good position. Between the small but steady profit her treasury commands, her good manpower and powerful army, and her reasonably fast research rate, she is quite capable of aspiring for greatness.
ScreenSave19.jpg

Overview of the Bolivian treasury, February 1841
ScreenSave21.jpg

Santa Cruz isn't just a good General, he is your 'El Presidente!' So are you going to be looking to conquer south america or something else?

Obviously, this is a gameplay Bolivian AAR under VIP:R 0.2. Given my only moderate skills in the game, I have only one fairly modest long-term goal: End with Bolivia in the Great Powers. To do that, I want to concentrate on industrialization and prestige generation via cultural techs, ignoring my army and navy to the maximum extent that I reasonably can. Therefore, this game will not be as fast paced as certain others, nor involve as many wars. My main shorter-term goal involves turning Bolivia into a democracy (for that sweet immigration bonus and hopefully the election of a full-citizenship party). Comments, of course, are welcomed and encouraged, and especially comments on how well I'm playing and the feasibility of any strategies I have.

Have a great game!
I remember having played Peru in V:R 01, and having, via an event annexed Bolivia. The huge native population was awful in terms of industrialization and such. You will need patience. :)

Interesting! I will have to watch this one and see what approaches you take to the various problems you have and will have. :p

There are far too few straight gameplay AARs around here these days- they often make for the most interesting reading! This looks to be a good one so far, I've always wanted to play as Bolivia and never quite got around to it... Count me in!

Bad luck with the early war- looked to be a very promising start against Chile before the Argentines decided to wade in! At least you've weathered the early rebels, I'm assuming that if that had got out of hand you would have seen the creation of Peru, which I reckon would be fairly tough to recover from!

robou: Maybe as a very long-term goal ;)

Emp_Palpatine: Yeah, I was like :eek: when I opened up the population summary panel the first time. Less than a third national POPs!? That's less than vanilla Austria! And I don't start with Capitalists, railroads, or decent techs either.

Cinead IV: Paraguay and Ecuador...maybe. Brazil has a huge army though. They can field at least 3 divisions!

Dr. Gonzo: Of course! Just probably not many for a longish while.

oddman, germanpeon: Thanks, I hope I do well.

DerKaiser: The wars are scripted--if you look at the log, you can see that Chile and Argentina both got an event sending them to war. This is perfectly historical (in the real world, Chile and Bolivia-Peru were at war as early as August 1836!), but does make it quite difficult for the player, especially as in my case Argentina was allied to Uruguay. (In fact, I actually had to play through this scenario two earlier times to actually defeat both powers--somehow, I think that "Bolivia had her army wiped out, then lost" would have been less interesting--especially since that would mean the end of Bolivia-Peru, exactly as in history.)

To all: Another update coming later today.

Weathered the first storm nice and effectively. Now perhaps the rise to greatness can begin.

truth is life said:
Brazil has a huge army though. They can field at least 3 divisions!
:rofl: :rofl:
Thats hilarious! Mind if I put that in my sig?

1841-1847: The First Paraguayan-Bolivian War

In 1842, Bolivia starts to research Mechanical Production, the first in a long line of important industrial technologies to be researched over the next decade or more.
ScreenSave1-1.jpg

On April 30, 1843, war is declared on Paraguay, due to their several fairly valuable RGOs and strategic position.
ScreenSave4.jpg

Shortly thereafter, as Bolivian cavalry enters Asuncion, Mechanical Production is completed. Mechanized mining is initiated due to its bonus to all mining RGOs and the requirement that it be researched before any railroad techs.
ScreenSave5-2.jpg

On January 22, 1844, a peace offer involving Paraguay turning over most of its land to Bolivia and paying war indemnities for the next several years is proposed by Bolivian agents. The Paraguayan government accepts, having no other choice. (My badboy rose to about 15 as a result of this)
ScreenSave6-2.jpg

ScreenSave7-1.jpg

Revolt risk is high again over the entire Confederation, leading to the commissioning of 2 infantry divisions to help keep the peace.
ScreenSave8.jpg

ScreenSave9-1.jpg

By 1847, Bolivia has risen in stature to be second only to Brazil in South America. Her ambitions, however, rise far beyond, to global power and influence.
ScreenSave11-1.jpg

(And germanpeon: no, I don't mind)

and the first victory is complete. Wherever next? And that is quite a good quote germanpeon :rofl:

germanpeon said:
:rofl: :rofl:
Thats hilarious! Mind if I put that in my sig?
Hey, in 1830-1840 V:R south America, that's quite superpowerish! :D

Done. :D

When are you going to conquer Chile? They have lots of national POPs for you to use, I think.

robou: Not Brazil; now they have SIX divisions! :p

Emp_Palpatine: Well, just because they're non-national doesn't mean they can't work on the farms! And yeah, it was supposed to be peaceful, but I saw a good opportunity and took it. (I probably should have gone for humiliate rather than war indemnities, though)

germanpeon: If that's true, they're my next target! (So sometime in the 1850s)

In vanilla Chile has mostly South Andean POPs (Patagonian in the south, like Argentina), but I am not sure how the POP nationalities are distributed in VIP.