The Sovereign Systems Alliance - New Name? and empire build.

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Midsummer Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off!

Enjoy some sun and song this Midsummer, but when the sun goes down, the fun doesn't have to stop! Paradox has a festive sale on plenty of games to keep your summer nights going!

June 18th - June 30th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Delta-Nomad

Private
4 Badges
Mar 30, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
I've been developing my favorite organic empire, the Sovereign Systems Alliance and i'd like to share some of its lore, empire build, what could be changed, etc for discussion.

Sovereign Systems Alliance:

Form of Government: Representative Constitutional Republic
Ethics: Fanatic Egalitarian / Materialist

The SSA is made up of many planets and systems, so how would everyone be fairly represented? Well, the go-to thing would be to elect representatives for each planet, that in-turn represent the mining/research systems around said planet. But because collectively large populations live on off-world orbital stations, a rivalry between the space-born and planet-born is an inevitability. IF a representative is on a planet, how can he/she properly represent a population they can't connect with? Therefore a representative should be elected by the system's themselves and all associated orbital stations within the system. So would Sovereign Systems Alliance be a fitting name? Well, the main issue is the "Alliance" part, because the SSA is a single sovereign empire the systems and planets aren't in an alliance that can just be simply left, Alliance is not a nicely fitting term.

So what is?

Sovereign Systems Confederation?
Sovereign Systems Federation?
Sovereign Systems Republic? Sounds odd, but is a bit more fitting.

So, what about:
Systems Republic? Too bland.
United Systems Republic?

Should we take away the "Sovereign" part or keep it? I like how it sounds, and I imagine my people being very prideful of independence and the thought of their "sovereignty"

let me know what you think.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Paranoidsid

Sergeant
May 18, 2020
sovereign is a great word, but it means ‘ruler’.

in the case of sovereign systems alliance, it seems to mean every system is in charge of itself but allied together, which does tally with the egalitarian side of things bur not the rp.

can elaborate on the overall government a bit more? each system has a representative, but where do they go from there? lay some of that theory crafting on me.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Delta-Nomad

Private
4 Badges
Mar 30, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
sovereign is a great word, but it means ‘ruler’.

in the case of sovereign systems alliance, it seems to mean every system is in charge of itself but allied together, which does tally with the egalitarian side of things bur not the rp.

can elaborate on the overall government a bit more? each system has a representative, but where do they go from there? lay some of that theory crafting on me.

I'll explain the government and lore in sections:

Federal Government -

The Federal Government is the embodiment of all Federal Agencies, Committees, Bureaus, ETC and resides on Earth. The Federal Government has authority over all Systems and Planets, and is in sole control of the Alliance's military forces with the exception of local defense forces controlled by local System and Planetary governments.

The Federal Government is lead by the elected Executive Secretary and his/her staff of advisors and other personnel necessary for the leading of a large interstellar nation. An election is held every 10 years for the position of Executive Secretary, advisors are assigned to their roles by the Congressional Assembly based solely on their experience in their role, and can only be removed by the Congressional Assembly or by resignation. The Executive Secretary is regarded as the most powerful individual in the Alliance, but in reality is just a ceremonial position due to the Congressional Assembly and its associated sub-organizations making almost all decisions.

The Congressional Assembly is made up Representatives from the Systems and Planets of the Alliance, as well as all of its sub-organizations such as committees or investigative coalitions. The number of representatives changes widely over the course of time, as stations get built in new systems, or new planets are colonized. Originally, all citizens would vote on their representative based on the planet they originated from (if on a station), however, with the exponential growth of space-born populations and the divide between planet and space-born new representatives were required to represent the stations themselves, which, eased a severe burden off of the political system.

Local Governments -

Systems: Most systems are made up of many space stations constructed throughout the system to mine resources, or conduct research. Populations of systems vary widely depending on how many stations were built and manned in the System. Their local governments are Councils made up of representatives from each station to make decisions and municipal laws for the System. Station-Reps are elected by the population on their station, population per station can vary widely from a few hundred thousand to well into the millions and billions (As seen with Seeker Station, a orbital habitation station) and fortress/shipyard stations.

Planets: Most planets have local governments mirroring that of the Federal Government, having their own elected representatives from areas of the planet, and their own Congressional Assembly and sub-organizations, but how these governments operate varies by planetary-designations. An agricultural world that has a widely spread out population have smaller Congressional Assemblies, or even Councils depending on population size. Forge Worlds, however, are usually different because of their economic and political influence and often have Oligarchies made up of the largest corporations that operate factories on the Forge World. These worlds are regulated and watched closely by the Federal Government due to their relative power, often, the Federal Government employs classified tactics to influence Forge World governments in their favor, this might include swaying votes, blackmailing Corporate Board Members, or even assassination. Although none of these tactics have been confirmed to of been used by the Federal Government, a former Black-Site was unclassified on a moon in the Elysium system, host of the Nation's most prosperous Forge World.

If you have any questions let me know, i enjoy all of this

• 1Like
Reactions:

Paranoidsid

Sergeant
May 18, 2020
ah, nice one. sounds really cool! love the thought you’ve put into this.

so it sounds like it’s a straighrfederal government, which means the individual nation states or planets have autonomy but are under the remit of an overarching system. does that sound right to you? if so, i take back what i said earlier; sovereign would make a lot of sense.

real life federal governments use the following monikers (with x being the name of the country):
x republic

commonwealth of x

republic of x

union of x

federative republic of x

federal democratic republic of x

federal republic of x

united x states (or systems/planets, in this case)

x confederation

united planets/systems of x

so you’re definitely on the money with your ideas as they stand. at this point, i think it comes down to what’s a cool three letter prefix for your ships.

if you’re going with sovereign systems, i think (as if that matters) it sounds better at the end of the name. like, united sovereign systems, confederation of sovereign systems or federative union of sovereign systems etc.