• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a nice respite from all the warring and raiding and Vikings and overt influences of the Old Gods, even if it did feature Il Duce's goons. I hope you don't have any troubles finding an appropriate header image for York.

I dunno, if the Yorkshire police are anything like in Red Riding, she might be missing the caring attitude of Mussolini's blackshirts.

York. Interesting... I haven't been for a few years, but this was a highlight. I don't suppose it's where Uncle lives? ;)

Escaping from fascism is always good, though. Maybe we'll run into a certain Oswald Mosley back home? Might be some light relief from all of the noodly appendages and such.

I really do like these 20th century updates, the characters are really engaging. Also liked the way you addressed the politics of the time. Makes the dark age Vikings we are looking back at less barbarous and more human when you consider the time in history these characters are living in. Look forward to more :D.

Good point. In a way not much has changed over the centuries. Barbarism just takes a different form.

Nasty little Mussolini... I was wondering how long we'd be in Florence for just yesterday...

With these Interludes being as popular as they are, I felt that Madelyn and Carlos needed some room to develop their plotline, and Nasty Little Mussolini and his Blackshirts provided the impetus.

Hm, methinks that Benito's blackshirts will prove to be tame stuff, compared to the slithering eldritch creatures that lie dormant in Jorvik. :) Oh, and it's only 50 miles from Durham, too. Nope, nothing good will come from this relocation.

That aside, the update served to remind us of 'real-life' 1930s Italy and it certainly provides a very plausible reason to move the action from Florence to York (and much closer to the Great Bad that's bound to come for Madelyn). I don't think her pistol will be of much use.

I may have to get her a shotgun :). I imagine her distaste of Mussolini's growing influence is a bigger catalyst to relocate than her curiosity over Uncle's other residence. There's another, more obvious reason why she would want to leave the country, something I may address in the next Interlude. As for what she discovers in Merry 'Ole England? Well...

Heh, reminds me of the Mongol/Aztec event when they first appear. Hell bent on conquering the whole world? A fine tale!

Let's start with that major power: Ethiopia. :)

Florence, York, Durham... geography rarely provides good clues for safety in Lovecraft's stories... oh well at least they are not going there :eek:

Ah yes, the pole of inaccessibility. Near R'lyeh. Isn't Skull Island located around there, too? King Kong vs Cthulhu? Nahh...

Doesn't York have some interesting underground locations?

I do believe so. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Very well-written, Lord Durham! You keep the interplay between Miss York and Carlos working remarkably well. So it's really going to be a wrench when one or both of them gets dragged off into horrific non-Euclidean realms unknown by the multifarious appendages of some elder deity or other...

And the current-day political framing was well-handled, too. You touch briefly on the forebodings of Miss York about Mussolini with a wink-nod to the audience, and don't linger too long. And I'll second Stuyvesant that it provides a good way to move off of Florence without being too plot-devicey.

Thanks for the insight. The growing trouble in Italy does indeed provide motivation, as will another event coming in the next Interlude. I think Miss York shared the same misgivings that many others probably did at the time. But like you said, I decided to employ a wink-nod as opposed to a hammer over the head.

They may even have some time for a side excursion to an archaeological site or something, if they are headed towards York.

Definitely a good idea. Thanks.

That was a nice respite from all the warring and raiding and Vikings and overt influences of the Old Gods, even if it did feature Il Duce's goons. I hope you don't have any troubles finding an appropriate header image for York.

I haven't looked yet. Hopefully it won't be a chore, and won't have cranes... ;)

I dunno, if the Yorkshire police are anything like in Red Riding, she might be missing the caring attitude of Mussolini's blackshirts.

Red Riding. Is that the series of movies about the Yorkshire Ripper killings?

York. Interesting... I haven't been for a few years, but this was a highlight. I don't suppose it's where Uncle lives? ;)

Escaping from fascism is always good, though. Maybe we'll run into a certain Oswald Mosley back home? Might be some light relief from all of the noodly appendages and such.

Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate. That's funny :). Good call on Mosley. He founded his own Blackshirts around 1932, IIRC.

I'll try to have an update ready this weekend. To be honest, I started reading Portugal or Bust: The Director's Cut this morning to refresh my memory about the whole movie-into-AAR thing I wrote years ago, and, all hubris aside, got caught up with it. I'm at the part where Christopher Walken, as Tomás de Torquemada, does a Tampex commercial, and all of the "You're a sick, sick man -- give us more" feedback posts that followed. :)

Yep. Red Riding is almost unwatchably bleak. The Yorkshire police do not come off well.

As much as it pains me to say this, one simply cannot improve on Joe Storey's line:

Making Christopher Walken do a Tampax commercial shows a great imagination coupled with a deranged misconception of the morals that have made Canada great. I will never again look at a Canadian again in the same way. I have a higher opinion of them now.

Oddly enough (or for you 'Kingmaker' fans, Audley enough...) I spent the afternoon reading a British Heritage magazine piece on the York of Richard III. Sounds like a nice place to visit outside the Viking season.

I'll be damned...

It took me a while to discover you're back, and even longer to be able to log in again, but as always... it is great... I in particular like the tie in with the Yorks :)

There goes hours of hidden reading while at work....

V

Nice to see you, V! :) I still hover around, though mostly lurking in the games forums (CK2, Stellaris), and less on the AAR forums. :)

And now I'm up to date

Director, Syt... So many known faces that I thought had left completely.....

There goes all spare time

V

Hey V. Nice to see you (in a figurative sense). I had to abandon this AAR for various reasons. I'd like to wrap it up, but it's been 3 years and I'm sure no one would be interested by now.

Nice to see you, V! :) I still hover around, though mostly lurking in the games forums (CK2, Stellaris), and less on the AAR forums. :)

Still hanging around, Syt? Hey, did you know the first Austrian born player to ever play in the NBA is a Toronto Raptor? He's coming along nicely too, for a rookie.

I'd like to wrap it up, but it's been 3 years and I'm sure no one would be interested by now.
Speak for yourself, sir! Thread necromancy is not entirely a bad thing. ;)

Hi Coz

LD, I didn't check dates, I just got all exited when I saw it in your sig

Good to see all of you nonetheless

It's a pity though, I just literarily got handed a lot of free time

V

If you have free time then definitely check out The Rightful King by Coz. It's excellent.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.