• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late in 1580 I white peaced with Ragusa since I have no interest in raising my WE and after RM’s with Spain and Portugal in early 1581 my plans for Danish expansion would be dashed. Naples declared war on Siena and I had previously guaranteed Siena. I waited 29 days before I accepted the call to arms.

j5zdqb.jpg

That’s Ireland*, Tuscany, Savoy, Modena, Genoa, Austria, Venice and Siena v. Naples. This... is going to be fun. :D

I did have a thought when this war came up about Austria ought to be alliance leader. Perhaps in EU4 Paradox could make regional powers more likely to be alliance leader, such as Austria should be in this war. But I’ll take what I can while I can.

By the beginning of 1582 I’m sieging Apulia and Tuscany found itself in Abruzzi. I was lucky enough that Naples had mostly passed me by after those 29 days. On the new year I have a reserve manpower of 386 (manpower is obviously a problem) but the war is going well.

2m2jq8p.jpg

Shipping down extra men into the war and using other alliance member’s manpower I was successfully able to fall Napoli with an assault in mid-April with Apulia falling to the same tactic in late September. Tuscany has Abruzzi.

dwxouf.jpg

I really wanted Abruzzi in case rebels rose and I didn’t have ships in the region but by October I decided that I probably wasn’t going to get what I wanted. Also I didn’t want Austria, Venice or Tuscany peacing out so in October I called up the peace screen, taking: Apulia, forced the release of Sicily and the payment of 350 which I put into workshops.

dyrwx4.jpg

My manpower will take time to recover so the chances of me skipping off to Scandinavia isn’t too likely especially since the Danish war ended without incident.

Early in 1583 I decided it was time to expand again and set up another colony in Ungava.

30dcetl.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Europe I kicked the Jews out of Apulia. I would’ve done this even if I weren’t lightly role playing because I can’t afford the revolt risk in a province I can’t retreat in. The less risk of losing an army, the better.

250v3md.jpg

In 1584 I established a penal colony in Ungava because I like the hastened pace of a colony turning into a city... also the natives had their aggressiveness raised to 4. At 4 or higher I often wipe out the colony as a precaution. Colonies are expensive, natives are not.

b3kf4k.jpg

And the Priory of St. John appeared. It raises my naval moral and yearly diplomats but does nothing for my ailing manpower problem of which I had previously received 209 from Apulia.

eijqlg.jpg

By August 1584 I decided wholly to devote myself to trading even though I hate it. A spare NI was ready to be filled and I chose Shrewd Commerce Practice. Changes continued the following year with a government change to Administration Republic to further my trading prowess.

2m369l4.jpg

One thing I really hate about this is that you have to pay for the election whether you keep in the same guy or not. If it weren’t for additional stab hits I would’ve converted my government back to what it was because of these costs, which I’ll highlite later. Oh well, let’s take out my frustration on some natives.

2a7vhh0.jpg

The colony is saved! And the pirates off the Ungava coast are shoved off to become Pommerania’s problem. That’ll teach them to build a colony in Greenland.

A brief war broke out in late 1586 with the Palatinate DoWing Austria. I helped only for the war taxes and declared a white peace in May of 1587 but Austria was the alliance leader so the Palatinate is screwed.

2jdoo5j.jpg

But war wasn’t meant to die when Hungary DoW’d Montenegro in October. I’m really liking Hungary’s aggressiveness and its not only because I’m their ally. I’d peace out about a year and a half later to leave Montenegro to Hungary’s desires.

34y1es3.jpg

In Baltic news, Lithuania lost a war against Bohemia and Poland, releasing Ukraine as a separate state. In spite of Lithuania’s size, I was eyeing them closely.

2q3yakg.jpg

Throughout the rest of the 1580's I cut off relations with Lorraine, built another colony in Labrador (not thinking about the costs) and, well, watched time go by.

172vid.jpg

Unfortunately I started off the 1590's in the worst way possible. With an expensive election of 18 ducats (in June) when I had a mere 20 left. Sure I get a great leader out of it Admin 9 Mil 9 Dip 8 (best I ever had) but the cost isn’t worth the risk. I’m also not DoWing L.O. because I’m still recovering from the manpower lost in the war with Naples (reserve manpower at 914.)

scroeh.jpg

Even with this great leader MM wants to remind me that I’m playing their mod.

14w927o.jpg

1593 came along and again, I had to pay for another election because my previous leader (the blessed by god) managed to die in office. He probably committed suicide after finding out how much an election cost the country. The new guy is workable but he is no replacement for the God I received before: Admin 5 Mil 9 Dip 7.

By 1594 Livestock arrived in Labrador and Wool in Ungava. I made another move +1 market economy.

1z4fnz7.jpg

Nothing eventful happened until 1597 when I declared war on the Livonian Order. Ireland* and Hungary v. Austria*, L.O. and Naples. Tuscany and Mazovia, who would’ve been with the Austrian team, backed out, as did France on my side. Within a week though, the French returned to my alliance. I assume they only want to be a part of greatness; they don’t want to partake in it.

2m769f9.jpg

Naples made an attempt early to assault Apulia, and failed. My Italian unit with my leader shoved them out of Apulia by early August and I scorched the place, to burn Naples’ manpower while they had to deal with pretender rebels in their capital. But by the end of the year, I’d be sieging Napoli.

2zspfnd.jpg

14kgm74.jpg

Two days into 1598 and the LO occupied Riga but I’d have it back by mid-February. I really must remember to scorch Riga whenever I get the chance for their Reformed thoughts earlier in the century.

Southern Italy continued to be a mess with Apulia’s fall to Austria, my occupation of Abruzzi and a 15 Italian regiment (only 3k soldiers) was destroyed in the same place. Naples was ready for peace in late August, giving up Abruzzi and renouncing their core on Apulia. Abruzzi, if you’re wondering, has a refinery. It seems like almost every place in the world has these things, but that’s a vanilla thing too.

107svx5.jpg

So with my units free and Hungary keeping Austria busy, I’m off to take care of the Livonian Order. Mwahahahahahaha. I told you I’d get revenge on Hungary.

9fzngh.jpg

By the end of the year Hungary and Austria made peace with Hungary releasing Bosnia and paying 62. Honestly I wasn’t seeking the destruction quite yet because I didn’t want it to be Austria to suck in those Hungarian provinces. I’d prefer it to be someone else.

At the start of 1599 there’s a new election in town, Admin 8 Mil 5 Dip 5

But at least I’m having a better time placing merchants (as of 11 February 1599)

2roqlnd.jpg

Leaving Austria alone in Italy I centered my attention toward the Livonian Order. It’d take until August 1600 for LO to come to terms but I was still at war with Austria. Livonian Order ceded Wenden and renounced their core on Livland. This is a pace I can live with.

j0xk43.jpg

I forgot to do my 50 year update at 1600 with all that’s going on so the next 50 year update will be after my next update (1610)

it's all nice and candy with pushing over the pushovers like LO and Naples ;)
but:

[
My RPG type rules[/B If I see a country turning Protestant, to Calvinism or something else then they’ll be on my hit list. #1 on my hit list are the English because they’re English. #2 is Scotland because it borders England.

Destroy Scotland and England.

!

(arms folded) hm! :cool:

Switch to monarchy ASAP, and this great leader will become a ruler for life :D

<bad joke>I hear you can get Iceland for a bargain price these days</bad joke> :)

I like the way you continue to build up your rather eclectic Empire.

I doubt the Sicilians will be greeting you as liberator once you get Calabria and put them on your list :D

What's the logic behind having to pay for elections in a republic? Surely monarchs at that time were much more treasury-busting with their coronation extravaganzas... It's probably a MM way to balance the fact that you get better leaders in a republic.

I hvae been lurking in this AAR fo some time and I feel you now deserve a
Lord Strange Cookies of British Awesomeness for services to AARland (and Ireland)

Azugal: I’m hoping to peace out with Austria as soon as possible. One benefit to a far-flung empire is that I have provinces all over the place. Austria can only reach me in Italy without ships and even with ships they can’t land enough to do anything too destructive. The war will be one that spends my WE and will prevent me from going to war sooner than I’d like in the future.

demokratickid: If I had read a little about the Jewish activity I might’ve spared a few in some provinces but as far as Italy goes and how that was carved up, I couldn’t let that revolt risk stand.

Enewald: If I ever forget, I always remember which mod I’m playing.

gabor: I think its obvious that I expected MM to be easier. I hoped my vast 1.3 MM experience would help me out but my adaptation has been fairly rough. However, Scotland has been annexed, not by me but still, they no longer exist. :D I also own the Western Isles so that’s a start!

Winner: I wish I could’ve preserved him and saved him forever. That was the greatest leader I ever had and to have him die before election... ugh, I didn’t even have a chance to use him for anything.

stnylan: :) The way I see it, I don’t have much of a choice. The one thing that worries me is that I’m building up so much for the eventual war with Great Britain that I might not have enough time to destroy them. But should I fight a losing war with GB (especially with France dishonoring all my DoW’s) I’ll lose more than time.

aldriq: I’m sure the Sicilians will get over it. :)

I’m not sure... after all this time I still haven’t managed to read through the whole MM manual and likely won’t read further until MM2 is out. I always assumed it was to pay for the campaign but even that seemed odd that the government would pay for a campaign, and to have it be so expensive. The worst part about it is that I have to trade and thus, need the government and its election year pay outs because trading seems to be the only way I can make easy money. I’ve internally resolved the issue by telling myself that its due to “corruption.”

Lord Strange: Thanks. I assume they’re safe to eat anytime? :) Earlier today/yesterday I’ve decided to put all awards in the inkwell so the next time I update, I’ll put it there. Its good to know that you’re along for the ride. Now the tough part comes as I near the halfway point, set on a one on one collision with the Great Britain.

Oh man, here I was expecting my vigilant noticing of your updating one AAR and then refreshing to see you posted here meant I was right that you updated both simultaneously. Boy was I wrong and let down! :)

Wait. That's not a situation for a smile! That's not a situation for a smile..
..at all.

:(

Near the end of 1600 (December 18) Austria and I signed a peace with me paying 5 ducats. Without Hungary there was no way I was going to fight Austria. Then again, even with Hungary I wouldn’t have done anything.

11tbhwm.jpg

And between October 1600 and March 1601 France and Brittany went to war (I helped) with Brittany ceding Finistere to France. Maybe I didn’t do anything in that war but its odd how all the nations who wronged me early on are having bad things happen to them. But the Jews didn’t do anything and I forced them from another province, Wenden.

mcc41y.jpg

The above shot displays one of the bad things about owning Mediterranean lands in MM but I don’t mind it... at least when I don’t lose ducats and stability. This knocked me down to +1 stability and -28 ducats. This also resulted in me taking a loan even though I readjusted my sliders to take in the damage.

To combat this new loan I canceled new trading attempts hoping that would be enough. Meanwhile, after the Austrians left rebels popped up in Italy (but the Papal States didn’t want to help me)

seywrk.jpg

and I decided to protest against the pirate raids, which cost me 2 prestige. Unfortunately it didn’t do anything for me. But I did get a saint to perform a miracle which propped me back up to +2 stab.

259kihg.jpg

In November of 1603 Portugal came back into my alliance and I moved the slider again +1 market economy.

The following year Almeria was really becoming a headache with the revolts and Spain not taking care of them every time. To fight this, and to help pay off my loan, I sold Almeria to Spain for 500. To celebrate I shoved a colonist off to Epekwitk, in between a few French provinces.

2f03prb.jpg

v3d3c0.jpg

1609 was time for another election: Admin 6 Mil 7 Dip 7

106yhjr.jpg

Was I way off? No! More like.. way on! :cool:

Anyway, great update, etc. etc. Make another one!

Uh I mean

Good update. I liked how you took a bad choice of province and turned it into a colony as well as a method to pay a loan, though your awkward moments may hurt diplomacy for a time. I think it gives a bad modifier for the rest of your ruler's reign.

Beamed: :) Actually I rarely update both at the same time. Usually they’re at least a few hours apart if I update them on the same day. But if I post a response in this thread, that means an update will likely follow within the hour unless my electricity goes out or I die, neither of which would be any fun. :(

You know, you could always try not to fight GB. Then you could go ice-skating in hell :)

Beamed: I think selling Almeria was just a matter of time. I wasn’t going to be able to establish any kind of base there with Granada’s destruction nor could I match the North Africans in their tech which seems odd.

demokratickid: “Woolly fish: Not only can they be eaten, but sheared!”

Enewald: The only nation I can get close to that’s close to an OPM are those in Italy or Brittany. The others are in the HRE and are protected fiercely by Austria. When an opportunity opens up though, I’m going to take it.

gabor: The Spanish seem to be the only ones really out of order. Central America is almost completely left alone. On the Golden Horde, they’re bordering Muscovy pretty well too, so we’ll have to see if there’s some kind of conflict there. Its too bad the colors almost blend into one another.

stnylan: If I don’t at least declare war on GB once during this game I have a feeling I’ll be run out of the EU3 forums, forced to forever remain in the dark abyss known as CK. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.