• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 42: Lord Payne

Riverspring, Road to Payne Hall
Albin Sheeran

It had been a long time since a Sheeran had gone to Payne Hall, the last visit was made by Lord Ed Sheeran when he and Martyn Payne negotiated the end of their silent conflict. Lord Martyn Payne had died seven years ago, his son Taubert was overthrown five years ago by Tayford Payne, and Tayford Payne was overthrown by Robert Payne a few months ago. After all the chaos and politics, Robert Payne finally returned stability to Payne Hall and called a feast to celebrate, as Albin was a vassal, he was invited to take part.

He had Ser Selmond accompany him with a small band of guards as they made their way to the feast. They were making good time, but stopped when they heard a voice yelling.

"M'lord!" the faint voice of a woman yelled.

Albin and his companions turned their horses around. Tysha was seen approaching the column. Ser Selmond ordered the men to stand down and allow her to get close to Albin.

"Tysha, what news do you bring me that is so urgent?" Albin asked.
"M'lord, Lady Lelia escaped from Riverspring."
"Impossible!"
"How did she do it?" Ser Selmond asked.
"She had her handmaidens overpower the two guards outside the door and then ran for the stables."
"I ordered for eight men to be outside her door, she must've made her move when they were changing shifts, she's a crafty one that bitch."
"Where would she go?" Albin asked.
"The guard responded quickly, they're chasing her and what handmaidens that made it out to Payne Hall."
"My wife is a crafty one, Robert Payne is my liege lord and has the legal authority to punish me for murder."
"Then we must make for Payne Hall with all haste," Ser Selmond said.
"Tysha, return to Riverspring, if Lelia were to see us, you would be exposed."
"As you wish, m'lord."
"The rest of you, to Payne Hall! Hah!" Albin yelled as he urged his horse forward.

Tysha rode back in the direction of Riverspring while Albin and his men rode quickly to Payne Hall, hoping to arrive before Lelia Lannister could.

Drox Castle, An Inn
Sylvia Sheeran

The inn was busy with travellers, merchants, and wandering sellswords. Despite the racket, Sylvia and her companions sat in silence while Ser Harlan and his knights sat somewhere else. Sylvia had downed three cups of hard ale, yet it still could not take her mind off what she considered to be the climatic confrontation between her and her brother.

"There's still gotta be something we can do," Reyna said.
"I have no ideas, no plans, I don't know what to do," Willard admitted.
"We must hurry back to Oakenshield, Albin cannot hurt us once we make it back home," Alekyne said.

Sylvia chugged down a fourth cup of ale.

"I knew we were going to lose, and yet I still made my move so I could please my father."
"You stayed loyal even when you knew you were going to lose, it's why I threw in my lot with you," Willard said.

Sylvia slammed her cup on the table, prompting several others in the tavern to look over.

"Cadwyn, Tywold, and you, all you keep telling me is that I am the true Sheeran. All it does it just remind me of my constant failures."
"We can still fight back," Reyna encouraged.

Sylvia's head fell to the table, she had no will to lift her head.

"Albin kept Dunaver in Riverspring to deter me from moving against him and now that I made my move, I don't know what Albin will do to him," Sylvia cried.
"You still have Ermond, you said it yourself, you have to keep him safe if anything happened to Dunaver," Alekyne said.

Reyna sat in silence.

"I will go back to Riverspring," she declared.
"Are you mad? You're not going to last back there," Willard warned.
"And how long would an old man like you survive? You may just fall over and die before I even make it back there."

Sylvia smashed her fist on the table, forcing Reyna and Willard to stop bickering. She lifted her head so she could look her friend in the eyes.

"Enough. Reyna, why are you heading back to Riverspring?"
"I'm going to get Dunaver back."
"That's impossible! You'll never be able to get him out of there!" Alekyne warned.
"I was raised in Riverspring, I know every little secret it holds, I will get him back."
"It may just work, Albin's most likely focusing his guards around Lelia and Dale after what happened," Willard said.
"Reyna, why are you doing this?"
"When my father died, I lost everything. Your father and mother took me in and you treated me like a sister when you didn't have to. We grew up together and you even protected me from Albin all those times many years ago. I owe you everything, Sylvia, let me get your son back for you."

Sylvia leaned over to Reyna and embraced her.

"Reyna, I can't let you go. I've lost too many friends and allies already, I cannot lose you too."
"I will not die, I will bring Dunaver to Oakenshield."
"Reyna, you don't have to do this."
"Sylvia, my loyalty to your family and my love for you is worth more to me than my own life."

Sylvia embraced Reyna again, and squeezed her even tighter.

"Thank you, Reyna. Thank you. Reyna I want you- no, I command you to return alive."

Reyna strained a smile.

"I best be leaving now, I don't want to keep you and Dunaver waiting," she said as she downed her cup of wine and got out of her chair.

She placed a gold dragon on the table to pay for her drink and turned to leave.

"Reyna, wait," Sylvia called.
"Yes?"
"If you find my doll of Daenerys, you can keep it."

Reyna's strained smile became a real one. She laughed while she nodded her head before departing to undertake her mission.

Payne Hall
Albin Sheeran

Albin had arrived before Lelia did, at least, he did not see her anywhere. He and his men feasted on Robert Payne's food and drink, the extravagance and quantity unparalleled. In the centre of the hall was a giant meat pie surrounded by smaller pies, Albin wondered how they were able to fit a pie so large into an oven.

wOZ25jR.png

Albin tried a piece of the pie, it was magnificent, there were multiple meats wonderfully fused together to make a taste Albin had never experienced before.

"I've never had food this good," Ser Selmond said.
"There's enough food here to feed us for days, enjoy it while you can," Albin laughed.
"Oh I plan to do so."

The decorations were beautifully crafted, banners of House Payne complimenting every piece to remind the guests who they were dining with. Lined along the walls and ceilings were tapestries that told marvellous tales of heroism and honour. Nearby the pies was a giant centrepiece covered in bird cages and feathers, all eyes could barely keep away from it, it was just too exotic and extraordinary not to look at.

UUP8PUr.png

Lord Robert Payne sat at the lord's table with his family, showing their enjoyment and enthusiasm to the entire hall. Ser Selmond downed a cup of Arbor Gold when he suddenly started coughing and spitting his drink everywhere. Several men laughed, including Albin.

"Take your time, Arbor Gold deserves to be drank with respect," Albin joked.
"Ugh, no, my lord. She's here."

Albin turned his head quickly to where Ser Selmond was looking. He spotted three women marching down the aisle of tables while the hair of a really short woman was in front. The guests started talking and whispering about the Imp, many knew who she was and the name Lannister spread among the gossipers. Albin watched Robert stand up from his chair and stand tall enough for all the guests to see.

"Lady Lelia Lannister! I welcome you to my humble hall on this fine evening," he greeted.
"Save it, Payne. I am here on business for my family," she said.

Robert Payne looked displeased, but he quickly changed his demeanour.

"What can I do for the noble house of Lannister?"
"I demand that you punish Albin Sheeran of Riverspring for murdering my brother."

The guests did not conceal their gossip, they spoke loudly enough for Albin to hear. He looked to Ser Selmond and his guards, they were all unsure of what to do.

"Lord Albin Sheeran, please stand up," Robert Payne called.

Albin did not hesitate to heed his liege lord's command.

"I am here, my lord," Albin greeted.
"Please come forward."

Albin left Ser Selmond and his men. He walked down the aisle just like Lelia did, he tried to keep his head up and looked straight ahead, ignoring the hundreds of eyes that followed him. He stood across from Lelia in front of Robert Payne and locked eyes with her. Lelia gave him a dirty look and crossed her arms. Robert Payne chugged down his drink and wiped his mouth.

"Lord Payne, it is no secret Albin Sheeran murdered my brother Tymos, I demand justice! Justice for House Lannister!" Lelia yelled.
"And what do you have to say in your defence?"

Albin returned Lelia's dirty look and sighed.

"She is a crafty and manipulative whore, my lord. When she learned she was heir to Casterly Rock, she begged me to kill Tymos Lannister, even going so far as to threaten the life of my unborn child with Moon Tea."

The crowd mumbled among themselves, the men sitting closest to Albin seemed to be supportive of him.

"Lies! He speaks lies! He murdered my brother on his own accord! He is a beast among monsters! I demand you execute him in accordance with the Queen's law!" Lelia argued.

Robert Payne rested his hand on his chin and scratched it with his fingers.

"Hmm, quite a case we have here."
"Why do you hesitate?! You know he started the plot that killed my brother! Sentence him to death, or better yet, let me enact my vengeance!" she screamed.
"No," Robert Payne answered.

Ez9YzEm.png

The crowd either cheered or shouted their disapproval. Lelia spent a whole minute to herself before speaking again.

"No? No?! You have everything you need and you refuse to do your duty to my family?! You are sworn bannermen to House Lannister!"
"House Payne are sworn bannermen to the lords of Casterly Rock, Dale Sheeran is the Lord of Casterly Rock," Robert Payne argued.

Lelia went to the nearest table and threw a cup full of wine at Robert Payne. It went straight for his wife, Robert placed himself in the path of the projectile and let it hit him in the back.

"No! You can't do this! You can't do this to me!" Lelia screeched.
"Guards! Remove her and her companions!" Robert Payne ordered, trying to wipe away the wine that splashed the back of his robe.

Guards stormed in and rushed Lelia and her handmaidens. The handmaidens went quietly while the guards had to grab Lelia by the arms and carry her away, a more than familiar sight to Albin.

"You will regret this! Your house shall burn alongside House Sheeran! I promise you this! A Lannister always pays his debts!"

The guests laughed at the sight of a Lannister being carried out like a child, it was almost symbolic. Robert Payne ordered his guests to continue enjoying themselves and apologized for the interruption. Albin did not return to his table, instead he called his lord over for a conversation.

"You think I'm innocent?" Albin asked.
"Oh no, you're as innocent as a whore in the Sept of Baelor," Robert Payne laughed.
"Then why did you dismiss her case?"
"Because she was interrupting my feast, Payne Hall's seen enough politics and beheadings."
"And the real reason?"
"Hmph, you're a smart one. House Sheeran rules Casterly Rock now and the Lannisters will do everything to reclaim it, but those that stand by House Sheeran will see many benefits if the war is won."

Albin let out a sigh of relief, he almost laughed.

"Our fathers manoeuvred against each other and eventually made peace, I am glad the peace between our houses still lasts."
"Aye, the only thing we ask is that you don't forget about House Payne once you solidify your grasp on Casterly Rock, eh?"
"Of course, on my honour as a man, House Payne shall hold Payne hall until the end of days."

Albin offered his hand to Robert Payne who promptly shook it with his own. The two laughed and went back to their tables to continue feasting. Ser Selmond and the guards lifted their cups and cheered when Albin came back to the table.

"That went well, I thought you were fucked for a moment," Ser Selmond laughed.
"So did I, but just like we did for The Rock, Robert Payne saw an opportunity to advance himself."
"Truly we are favoured by the gods, nothing can stop us, not even the Lannisters."
"I'll drink to that."

Albin and Ser Selmond hit their cups to one another and drank their drinks in one gulp. The two wiped their mouths and shared a laugh before going in for more meat pie.

"What are we to do with her?" Ser Selmond asked, referring to Lelia.
"Put her in the deepest darkest cell in Riverspring, she doesn't deserve her own chambers after what happened here tonight."
"As you wish. May I ask you for permission to place a bag over her head and gag her for the journey home?"
"No... I will be the one to do that," Albin joked.

Both men laughed and placed another piece of meat pie on their plates.

P3AQkSK.png

Oh Albin continues to be played at every turn.

Chapter 43: Power to the People

Brent Brook
Albin Sheeran

"They'll be all over the streets, my lord. Most of the bastards will be trying to break into the keep, but your loyal men are holding their ground," Treasurer Alton Felton reported.

The people of Brent Brook had recently risen up after voicing their displeasure at the high taxes Albin had levied on the territory.

ODhtbG9.png

The lord had great plans for the future, but he needed coin and Brent Brook's Gold Mine was simply not enough to fuel his new ambitions. With this mob occupying the largest town in the region, his incomes had taken a significant cut, this was something he could not tolerate. In response to this disaster, Albin and Ser Selmond gathered a force of the household guard and what volunteers they could gather and surrounded Brent Brook.

"The supplies our men inside Brent Brook keep have will last another month, we can afford to starve the town a little before we head in there and give them their punishments," Ser Selmond said.
"Maintain the perimeter, nobody gets in or out," Albin ordered.
"Those scum wounded me! You'd be better off putting them to the sword," Alton argued.
"They can't pay their taxes if they're dead, I want them to believe that paying me taxes is the merciful option."

Albin squinted his eyes and stared at a few peasants on the rooftops, most likely scouts placed there by the rioters.

"The men on the rooftops will see us coming. We won't be able to surprise them if they watch every direction, the ground around the town's too open," Ser Selmond warned.
"Send a rider to the outskirts, I'd like a parley with their leader."
"You think they want to talk to you?" Alton asked.
"If it'll bring survival, they will come. Besides, I would like to see what kind of man this leader is."
"As you wish, my lord. We'll demand a parley immediately," Ser Selmond acknowledged.

Riverspring
Dunaver Sheeran

The arrow pierced the rabbit in its throat, a quick and clean kill. Dunaver lowered his bow and smiled. He could hear the guards calling his name, he always liked moving ahead of them during his hunting trips. The boy dismounted his horse and pulled out his dagger before approaching his kill. He knelt down and gently pulled the arrow out of his trophy, not wanting to damage it too much.

"Dunaver," a woman's voice said.

Dunaver held out the point of his dagger and walked backward from where the voice was coming from.

"Who's there?" he demanded.

A woman appeared from behind a tree, she held her hands out, Dunaver had no idea who she was.

"Dunaver, I hold no weapons, I mean you no harm," the woman assured.
"Who are you?"

The woman frowned and stopped walking toward him.

"You don't recognize me? I don't blame you, it's been years since we last saw each other."
"Who are you? Answer quickly or I will call my guards."
"I am a friend of your mother, my name is Reyna Crakehall."
"My mother? The mother that abandoned me?"
"You poor soul, you've fallen for Albin's lies."

Dunaver was angry and inched his dagger closer to Reyna.

"My uncle has not lied to me, my mother disappeared one day without saying anything, she did not want me after my father died."
"She was forced out of her home, you were kept here as a hostage, a deterrent."
"Did she have other children?"

Reyna hesitated.

"She did, you have a brother."
"Then she's moved on, she has other children."
"She had no choice, she was being kept from you."

Dunaver was getting irritated, it had been almost a decade since he had seen his mother and he had heard nothing from her. There were no letters, no gifts, not even a visit. And even when she finally wanted to make contact again, she had sent someone else to speak with him while she could stay pampered in whatever castle she was living in.

"Then why didn't she fight for me? Why didn't she come for me all these years?" Dunaver said loudly.
"Keep your voice down! I'm not supposed to be here."
"If my mother wants to see me, let her come here herself."

Reyna sighed and closed her eyes.

"The Father's face is stern and strong, he sits and judges right from wrong. He weighs our lives, the short and long, and loves the little children," Reyna recited.

The Song of the Seven. It was his favourite lullaby as a child, when his mother was still around. Reyna did not sing it in tune, but the first verse still resonated with him.

"The Song of the Seven..."
"Your mother sings a verse everyday, she doesn't sing it in front of the rest of us, but I've listened in when she thinks she's alone. Every day she sings one verse from the song, she's sung enough to go through the song hundreds of times by now."
"She still sings it?"
"She never forgot how much you loved that song, the second verse about the mother makes her cry herself to sleep."
"The Mother gives the gift of life, and watches over every wife. Her gentle smile ends all strife, and she loves her little children."
"That's the one."

Dunaver's anger turned to confusion, everything he knew was not what it seemed. His confusion returned to anger, anger at his Uncle Albin.

"Why would Uncle Albin do this to me?"
"As I've told you, he kept you as a hostage so that your mother could not make any moves against him."
"I was nothing but a hostage to him... how could I have been so blind?"

Dunaver noticed Reyna smile, quite possibly from being able to breach the boy's prejudices.

"Your mother is an amazing woman, her loyalty to her house is unparalleled. She made moves against your uncle knowing you could be put into danger. I know that doesn't sound good for you, but her conviction to protect her family speaks volumes about who she is as a person."
"All this time I hated her, and she still loved me."

Reyna placed her hand on Dunaver's shoulder.

"It's not your fault."

The voices of Dunaver's guards grew louder.

"My uncle's men, will I ever see you again?"
"I will be watching you, simply find a secret place, and we will talk again."

Reyna embraced Dunaver and quickly departed before the guards arrived.

"Master Dunaver! One of these days yer gonna get yerself killed going off all alone!" one of the guards yelled.
"I'm sorry, I saw a rabbit and chased it," Dunaver explained, picking up the rabbit in order to show the men.
"A fine kill, young master! Your uncle will want to hear about it when he returns from Brent Brook! Let us return to the castle."
"Of course, let us go."

The guards led Dunaver away, he turned his head back and checked to see if Reyna was still there, fortunately, she was long gone.

Oakenshield
Sylvia Sheeran

Willard was on his deathbed. He had kept himself strong the entire journey home, only to collapse the moment he set foot on the steady dry land of Oakenshield. Sylvia was the only person there, Reyna was in Riverspring trying to get Dunaver back while Alekyne was in Highharden to pay his respects to Garlan Tyrell, the new Lord of The Reach after Banfred Tyrell was removed after his unsuccessful rebellion against Daenerys Targaryen.

dF6Zzkh.png

The old man had served three generations of Sheeran lords and four different members of House Sheeran. He was the last of her father's council, the group of great men that brought House Sheeran to the attention of all The Westerlands. Sylvia held the man's hand, she gently soothed his palm in hopes of mitigating his pain.

"We did our best, my lady," he said.
"Willard, I still need you, my father's wishes still need you more than ever," Sylvia begged.
"It's as you said before, we were going to lose this battle. Yet, I still followed, because I believed in you."
"You gave up everything: your family, your lands, and your safety, just for me."
"Your father was a just man, I'd give up everything to ensure his greatness, maybe things would not have to be this way if he had just lived for longer."

Sylvia sighed.

"Everything would've been better if he held on for longer."
"I didn't expect Albin to make the decisions he made, he truly has become a beast that cannot be slayed."
"It was all Lelia's doing, and now she regrets it all. But all beasts must die, even Balerion the Black Dread died."
"We cannot simply wait for Albin to die, but maybe it is too late to stop him."
"We have to try, Willard! I was going to give up, but when Reyna decided to head into danger to get my son, I knew I couldn't give up after all the sacrifices that were made."

Willard closed his eyes and hummed.

"I'm glad you will keep fighting."
"I want to keep fighting alongside you. I can't handle Albin with Reyna and Alekyne alone."
"My time is over, I have seen seventy years. In that time I went from a humble agent to a great spymaster, and now, I die a humble agent; life is quite poetic for something so cruel."

His eyes were still closed, his mouth pursed to form a smile.

"Willard, if you're going to die, give me a plan, give me something I can do at least protect our house."

Willard did not reply. His smile remained but Sylvia waited in the silence and listened carefully, she could not hear him breathing. She called his name several times but there was still no reply. Sylvia cried, and squeezed the still warm hand of her last ally tightly. After a short amount of time, she spoke a silent prayer to the Seven, ensuring Willard would have a pleasant journey to the Otherworld.

And with that, the last of the nobles Lord Ed Sheeran had risen up had died, the houses of Yellowbrook, Dedwyck, and Moatwell never survived to see themselves become true bannermen to House Sheeran.

Brent Brook
Albin Sheeran

A rider approached the perimeter. Albin, Ser Selmond, and Treasurer Alton watched the man carefully as he came closer to the three. The man was older, his hair and beard greying from age. He did not wear the rags of smallfolk, he was dressed like a minor noble. He slowed his horse and came to a full stop in front of Albin.

"Lord Albin," the man greeted.
"Give me your name, I wish to know who I speak to," Albin demanded.
"I am Tristan, my family is not important."
"My lord, be careful of this one, he's the one that got the first hit on me," Alton warned.
"After you reached for my pockets to take my hard earned coin," Tristan argued.
"Enough, you know why we're here. If you go back to your lives and pay your taxes, my men will turn back and we can forget this ever happened," Albin said.

Tristan shook his head.

"We know you'll continue levying more and more taxes, standing down would stop violence, but not the reasons we rose up against in the first place."
"We'll butcher everyone that rebelled, this isn't the first time a Sheeran army came to Brent Brook and did the same," Ser Selmond warned.

The rebel leader laughed in Ser Selmond's face.

"I know of that time, I was a child then. Lord Ed ensured our safety when he came here, he surrounded the keep and promised no harm would come to us if we stayed in our homes. Yet here you are speaking of butchering the innocent and claiming it has happened before."
"My father was a just man, but he was charitable as well. He kept the taxes low, you should be happy that I only wish for the standard rate," Albin said.
"Brent Brook prospered under your father's rule, under you, it will become a ruin."
"It will become a ruin if you don't stand down," Ser Selmond warned angrily.
"I told you, my lord. You can't negotiate with these fools, better to just end this," Alton suggested.
"Put us all to the sword and you will have no peasants to tax."

Albin eyed the town. Many of the smallfolk took to the rooftops to watch the negotiations. Albin's eyes then turned to some of the men who carried bows and crossbows. He rubbed his chin and watched as even more smallfolk stood on the roofs. Albin leaned over to Ser Selmond.

"A lot of the rioters are on the rooftops, we have crossbows and bows."
"If you wish for me to shoot the people, I will carry out the order. But I won't be able to sneak up on them without something attracting their gaze first," Ser Selmond said.
"They're watching me talk to their leader, now's our chance to force them to change their minds."

Ser Selmond nodded rode off.

"Where is your man going?" Tristan asked, concerned.
"He is off to summon more reinforcements, you'd best surrender before he returns."

Albin simply needed to stall for time. He needed to keep the people on the rooftops focused on him so that Ser Selmond could kill enough of them to make the smallfolk reconsider their rebellion.

"Why don't we just kill him?" Alton asked.

Tristan gripped his reins, but let go when Albin dismissed his suggestion. Albin looked over to one of his guards and nodded. They rode forward and stopped right next to Albin.

"Seize him," Albin ordered.

Before Tristan could respond, the guards urged their horses forward and grabbed the man. He yelled and struggled while the smallfolk on the rooftops yelled profanities and curses at Albin. By the time their taunts started to become personal, Albin simply smiled.

A horn blew and a barrage of arrows and bolts found their way into the crowd. The smallfolk fell to their left as Ser Selmond and his men were shooting from Albin's left flank. People ran or jumped off the roofs, Albin could not count all the casualties, but he saw at least fifteen people had went down.

"You monster! You are nothing like your father! You are a beast! A criminal!" Tristan yelled.
"No, I am a man who simply wants what is owed to him, a shame you people couldn't understand that."
"Now they will have to pay their taxes now!" Alton laughed.
"Don't laugh, Alton, we are doing business, not making jokes."

Another horn blew but from another side, it came from inside the town. The horn's tone translated into Albin's mind as a signal to sally, the men in Brent Brook were storming out to deal with the rebels. Albin watched Ser Selmond rush toward the town with several riders, possibly to take command of the men before they could lose control of themselves.

"I hope you find the deepest pit within the Seven Hells!" Tristan yelled.
"Taxes are one of the certainties of life, my friend. I'd expect that even in the deepest pits of the Seven Hells, there'd still be taxes to pay and a collector not afraid to take what is owed to him," Alton said smugly.
"This could've been avoided, a shame you put your pride over the lives of your people and a few gold dragons," Albin said.

The guards dragged Tristan off his horse and led him away, all the while the man yelled insults and curses. Albin ignored the man, and chose to focus on the chaos that was going on within the town of Brent Brook, chaos that was in his mind, justified.

Last edited:
Everyone hates taxes, even in Westoros. Good to know that Dunaver has come around to Sylvia's side. Hopefully she can take advantage of some sort of rebellion against her brother to strike while he's weakened.

Chapter 44: The Daughters

Riverspring
Ellyn Sheeran

Ellyn swung her wooden sword at the dummy. As a dwarf, the training dummy that was average height to the men was like a great beast to her. She acted as if she was facing off against a dragon, or at least Ser Gregor Clegane to be more realistic. She made a sideways swing at what she imagined were the Mountain's legs, the image of her sword slicing through the chainmail like a scythe to wheat gave her strength as she put all her strength into the strike.

uHCGiZV.png

Ellyn dropped her sword and wiped her brow. She turned and saw her father watching her, he did not look excited, but at least he was not stopping her. Before she could pick up the sword and resume her training, someone ran up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. Ellyn turned around and looked up to see Samwell Felton, son of Treasurer Alton Felton.

"Ellyn, some of us were going to play tag! Do you want to play?" he asked.
"You know I'm not that fast!" Ellyn replied.
"But do you still want to play?"
"Fine, I'm tired of swords anyways."
"Come on!"

Samwell turned to run to the other children.

"Wait!"
"What?"
"Is Joanna playing?"
"Yes! Come on."

Ellyn always felt safe playing with Joanna. Even though she was relatively young, she still stood up for Ellyn whenever the other children made fun of her for being a dwarf. It gotten to a point where Ellyn only played games with the others when Joanna was also involved.

Br4hel4.png

She followed Samwell, Ellyn looked over at her father one last time and saw he was still watching her. The other children were gathered in a circle, Ellyn spotted her sister Joanna among the children and made sure to stand right next to her. Samwell was the tallest of the children and decided to take charge.

"Who's chasing?" Joanna asked.
"Let's make Ellyn chase!" Samwell teased.

The other kids laughed but Joanna crossed her arms.

"That's not funny!" she yelled.
"Declan's chest hurts when he runs too much, if Ellyn chases, he won't have to run!"
"Shut up! I'll chase!" Joanna declared loudly.

Joanna started counting which prompted the children to scatter. Ellyn tried to gain distance, but her short legs made her strides small and by the time Joanna was done, she was the closest. Despite her disadvantage, Joanna decided to rush for another child and spared Ellyn the embarrassment of having to chase. Ellyn ran over to where her father was standing and looked up at him. Her father jerked his head down to meet her eyes.

"Father, do you want to play with us?" Ellyn asked.
"I cannot play right now, I'm thinking," he answered.
"What are you thinking about."
"Your brother, Dale."

She always felt her father favoured Dale and Joanna over her. Ellyn tried to see the positives, she had heard horror stories of some fathers and was at least glad hers was nowhere near as bad. While she was still young, she still knew it was because of what she was that made her own father act this way.

"I'm jealous of Dale."
"Jealous? Why?" her father asked, showing genuine concern.
"I've always wanted to go to see Casterly Rock and he gets to rule it. Samwell said that you could drop a stone off the highest tower and walk fifty leagues before it hit the sea."

Her father gently laughed.

"The Rock is tall, but not that tall, Ellyn."

She had gotten him to laugh. It had always been her plan to spend as much time as her father would allow with him, knowing that eventually her father would turn around. In fact, making him laugh was actually a milestone for Ellyn, one she hoped would simply be a step in her climb to the top of her father's affections.

XP99HQ0.png

"Do you like thinking outside?"
"The air is fresh, I do think it helps. But it looks like it'll rain soon, we'd all best head inside before any of us get wet."
"Yes, father."
"Oh, call your sister Joanna for me, I'd like to speak with her."

She wondered what her father wanted to talk about with Joanna, but she wanted to be on her father's good side and decided to heed his command rather than ask questions. Ellyn ran toward Joanna who had just caught another child. The child ran after Samwell when the two girls met.

"Joanna, father wants to talk with you," Ellyn told Joanna.
"Me, why?" Joanna asked.
"Just hurry, it might be important."

Joanna nodded and ran off to where father was standing. Ellyn watched the two talk for a short amount of time before he took her inside the keep. She wondered what they were doing, but she suddenly was grabbed on the shoulders from behind.

"Caught you!" a child yelled.

Before she could turn around, the child fled and managed to evade Ellyn's counterattack. She tried to chase, but she could just not gather enough speed.

Riverspring, The Dungeons
Joanna Sheeran

The dungeons were dark and scary. Joanna never came down to the dungeons, but father said she needed to follow him. For the past few days, her father had been teaching her to sing, in particular, she was taught to sing The Rains of Castamere. Joanna did not like the song, its tone was dark and the lyrics were slow, she did not understand how the adults, especially in The Westerlands were obsessed with the song.

Guards accompanied Joanna and her father, they carried torches to light the way even though there were already torches on the pillars. There were a few prisoners every now and then, some begged for mercy while others cursed her father's name, one in particular called her father a monster over something that happened in Brent Brook. Even after encountering the prisoners, her father and the guards continued on, going all the way to the end of the hall.

It sounded like there was a prisoner in the cell at the very end. Before Joanna could get a look, her father stopped her.

"Remember what I taught you?" her father asked.

Joanna nodded and breathed.

"And who are you, the proud lord said
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I kno-." Joanna sang.
"Stop that! Stop it at once!" her mother's voice yelled.

It sounded like her mother, but there was no way it could be, why would her mother be in the dungeons? She had heard all the adults say bad things about her mother, but she was still her mother.

"What's the matter, Lelia? I thought you loved that song considering who you are," her father laughed.
"Father, why is mother in the dungeons?"
"What are dungeons for, my sweet?"
"You put bad people in them."

Her father tapped her on the shoulder and nodded his head.

"And what have you heard about your mother?"
"She betrays people, she yells a lot, and she hates everyone. Ser Selmond said she let her brother die."

yCcaS7l.png

It did not feel good to speak ill of her mother, but something about it just felt right, the thought made Joanna shiver.
"Is this your victory? Making our own daughter insult me while I sit in this cell? To have her sing my grandfather's song mockingly?"
"Why yes, after all the trouble you caused me, I think this is a most just punishment."
"Mark my words, Albin. You and your entire house shall pay for this in time, House Lannister has only lost The Rock, we're all not dead yet."
"Yet."

Her mother grabbed the bars and moved her head as close as she could to her father's.

"Enjoy this, enjoy The Rock. It could take a year, it could take generations, but House Lannister will have its justice."
"I don't think so, I think we'll hold onto Casterly Rock forever, I think of myself as Lann the Clever."
"Don't you dare equate yourself to my ancestors."
"Considering the story of Lann the Clever, will we have to rename Casterly Rock to Lannister Rock?"

Joanna could see the twinkle of her mother's tears. She screamed and yelled words Joanna had never heard before at her father, she even tried to slip the bars and reached for her father's legs.

"Mother, you're scaring me," Joanna cried.
"See that, Lelia? You're scaring our daughter. Come now, Joanna, let us get out of here and let your mother calm herself," her father said as he ushered Joanna away.

He was smiling, even laughing. The guards were varied, some were amused while others remained neutral, even with her back turned, she could hear her mother screaming and hitting the bars.

"I will kill you! I will kill your entire family! I never should have married into this house!"

The noise eventually stopped. Joanna held her father's hand as they walked up the steps back to the keep, she was glad to be returning to the light of the upstairs. After the things she witnessed, she hoped to never go back down there again.

"Father, why was mother so angry?"

He knelt down in front of her.

"You heard many things about your mother from the adults, right?"
"Yes."
"They're all true. And if they're all true, what does that make your mother?"
"A bad person."
"And where do bad people belong?"
"The dungeons."
"That's my girl."

Joanna recoiled when her father messed her hair. He bid her a good day and went off to do other business. His logic made sense to Joanna, but something about it made her uneasy. She decided to stop thinking about it, the deep dark dungeons were an image Joanna did not wish to conjure up.

Albin's monstrosity is not so much in the large things - the slaughter of Brent Brook - but in the small.

Yet one hopes his arrogance is blinding him.

Poor children, used as a pawn in their parents game against each other. I hope one day Albin can get over his prejudice against Ellyn too.

Chapter 45: The Dominion of Dragons

Oakenshield
Sylvia Sheeran

Alekyne was overseeing the loading of the ships. There was a war in Westeros once again as another rebellion was called against Daenerys Targaryen. It was the Greyjoys that instigated this time, the time of the loyal and devout Theon Greyjoy was over and his son Sigfry appealed to the Ironborn to assert themselves as the brave warriors they were. Despite the numerous of rebellions that were crushed, there always seemed to be people eager to fight against the Targaryens.

bHC4SE3.png

Lord Paramount Garlan Tyrell had been imprisoned by the Targaryens for supposed plotting. Surprisingly, his son Horas had rallied the armies of The Reach in support of Daenerys and the men of Oakenshield would take part in the fighting. Alekyne was heading to Middlebury, to join up with his father Lord Middlebury, the man was ill but still heeded the call of his lord.

Sylvia was carrying her daughter Tyta in her arms while Ermond stood at her side, they were seeing Alekyne off as the final preparations were finishing up.

VTBayY3.png

She was overprotective of the girl after giving birth to a stillborn son a year ago, and even though Tyta survived the birth, she was of poor physique with barely any skin on her bones.

"I pray for your swift victory," Sylvia said.
"It's only the Greyjoys and a few scattered lords, we will win," Alekyne promised.
"The Westerlands has stayed neutral, if Albin wanted to do something while you were gone..."
"Ser Harlan will stay behind to ensure the security of Oakenshield is maintained, Albin only knows Ermond's name, you will be safe."
"I hope that is true. It's been years since we went to Riverspring, but Albin is unpredictable."

Alekyne knelt down in front of Ermond.

"Ermond, take care of your mother and sister."
"I will, father!" Ermond declared.
"If anything seems strange, you go tell Sir Harlan immediately, he will handle anything."

Ermond nodded and smiled. Sylvia quietly laughed.

"He is already becoming a brave little one, isn't he?" Sylvia said.
"When he gets older he'll be able to come and join me in battle, with your blessing of course."

Tyta did not say a word, she simply stared at her father and reached out with her short infant arms.

"She wants her father."

Alekyne pinched Tyta's cheeks and spoke in a funny voice to make her giggle. A soldier called Alekyne and told him the last of the preparations were done. He turned and boarded the boat, looking back and waving his hand.

"Don't worry yourself, Sylvia! I'm a commander, not a soldier, I'll be nowhere near the fighting! Focus your attentions on our children!"

Sylvia waved back and told Ermond to also say goodbye. The men on the boat released the ropes tying them to the pier and rowed their boat out of the port to the group of massive ships waiting out at sea.

Riverspring
Albin Sheeran

As Dale Sheeran was still quite young, The Westerlands had declared neutrality. While the banners had yet to be called, many lords across The Westerlands prepared themselves anyways in case the regency council decided to declare for any side. Spymaster Lucion had called a council meeting to disclose urgent news he received from King's Landing. Albin did not like going to council meetings he did not call, but Lucion was a trustworthy man and he decided to humour him.

Treasurer Alton was sitting in the meeting, after his encounter with an angry mob at Brent Brook Alton decided to attend more frequently, especially since the meetings were held in the safety of Riverspring keep. Albin sat silently, hoping that the regency council would maintain The Rock's neutrality as the fighting further weakened the other kingdoms giving Dale a chance to solidify his rule as he got older.

"So, how's the war going, Lucion?" Albin asked.
"There's interesting news, and very important news, which would you like to hear first?"
"I'm curious about what you consider interesting when a war has broken out," Ser Selmond said.
"A dragon fled from Yunkai and is flying around the Crownlands, it has been attacking armies that do not fly Targaryen banners," Lucion answered.

iZyHSFf.png

"Must've been one of Daenerys' dragons, not much a surprise that its attack her enemies," Albin said.
"Gods, the dragons were real? I thought people were just making it up, and Daenerys just had lots of Wildfire," Alton said.

Albin laughed.

"Alton, you would've been alive when Daenerys landed and reclaimed the Iron Throne, I'm surprised you thought the dragons were lies."
"If I've never seen it, it probably doesn't exist."

The men in the council shared a laugh.

"You haven't seen your wife for some time, she still exist in your mind?" Castellan Stafford joked.

The council's laughs turn to howling.

"Now, Lucion, tell us the important piece of news," Albin ordered, still trying to wind himself down.
"Prince Aethon Targaryen has been assassinated."

9lPs0fc.png

The men stopped laughing.

"Gods, who do you think did it?" Albin asked.
"Every Spymaster loyal to the Targaryens is trying to figure that out, there are no leads."

Daenerys had other children, but the assassination rocked Westeros' perception of the Targaryens. No longer was Daenerys the invincible dragon queen that crushed every rebellion, she was mortal, like her son who was murdered like any other man. Albin did not hear much about Prince Aethon, there were stories from the prince's youth about his promising qualities, but later he shirked his noble duties and preferred to ride his dragon all across the land.

"The succession?" Stafford asked.
"The crown will go to Aethon's son Daemion."
"Well, at least there are still Targaryens to inherit Daenerys' titles, when I was just born, she was the only Tagaryen left," Albin said.

Albin crossed his arms. After so many council meetings, they were starting to bore him. The time to plot and plan was over, Dale was lord of The Westerlands, all he needed to worry about was making sure Dale was holding it.

"I pity the ones who killed Prince Aethon, once Daenerys catches them, they will disappear from existence," Ser Selmond said.
"I think I will go now, there's nothing else to discuss," Albin declared.
"My lord, we could discuss our military preparations, we may be called to fight," Ser Selmond said.
"You're the Master-at-Arms, it's your job."

Ser Selmond nodded his head.

"As you wish," he hesitated.
"Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe my wife Lelia hasn't seen me for a few days now, I'd best pay her a visit."
"My lord," the council said in unison.

Riverspring
Dunaver Sheeran

This was the seventh meeting between Dunaver and his mother's friend Reyna Crakehall. He craved more meetings, short conversations could not compensate for the years he had been separated from his mother. They talked about many things: what his mother was like, the things she had done, and his Uncle Albin. Sometimes, they talked about the things Reyna had heard in the Inns, they had just spent a good ten minutes talking about the rumours of a Great Khal of the Dothraki uniting his people and raiding the Queen's colonies in Yunkai and Astapor.

V7IrEMM.png

Dunaver had evaded his guards and met with Reyna in her room in a tavern. The tavern was unpopular due to its foul odours and low standards, but the rooms were cheap and the guards barely visited, it was the perfect place to speak in private.
"What's my brother like?" Dunaver asked.
"Ermond is handsome young boy. He was born a sickly child, but he managed to survive the sickness," Reyna answered.
"That's good to hear, maybe I will meet him some day."
"The last letter I got from your mother said she had another child."
"And this child's name?"
"It was a boy, but he was stillborn."
"Gods, I hope she is okay."

Reyna checked a pile of ripped letters on her bed.

"I haven't heard from your mother in some time, I intend to write again. Is there anything you wanted to say, or maybe something you wished to report about your uncle?"
"I've already said so much in the letters you sent."
"I do not mind, it's good to keep in practice."

Reyna pulled a blank parchment and a quill.

"It's been almost three years since you first talked to me, I think it's time we make our move to get me out of here."
"Dunaver, that won't be easy."
"I know, but I want to see my mother again, I am afraid of what is happening to my uncle."

Reyna tilted her head and stared at Dunaver.

"What is happening?"
"He's been acting strangely. He leaves council meetings before they are concluded, he visits the dungeons frequently, and sometimes, it sounds like he just doesn't care about anything."

Reyna began writing notes on another letter, they were short points about the things Dunaver was saying about his uncle.

"Can you tell me more?"
"He seemed like a good man at first, but then I heard about what happened to Tymos Lannister. It seems like after killing Tymos Lannister, his behaviours changed, as if he were a different man. Nobody will say anything, but they are all aware of how he is acting."
"Everyone knows about his behaviour?"
"They whisper about it, they'll never say it to his face, but people are either worried or unhappy about the way my uncle acts."
"This is good, I'll be sure to tell your mother everything, we may figure out a plan to get you out of here."

There was a commotion downstairs, Dunaver heard the voice of one of his guards.

"Reyna, I need you to give me a gold dragon."
"Why?"
"Just hurry."

Reyna pulled out a small sack, it was almost empty but she was still able to produce the gold dragon Dunaver had requested.

"Will I be getting it back?"
"That and more, I will make sure you have money to stay here."
"Goodbye for now, Dunaver."

Dunaver nodded and exited Reyna's room. He looked down both sides of the narrow hallway, on one side was the stairs to the downstairs and noises of men coming up. On the opposite side was a closed window that looked to be falling apart. Dunaver ran to the window and pushed it open with his hands, making a loud noise. He peered his head outside and waited for his guards.

"Master Dunaver! There you are! What in Seven Hells are you doing here of all places?" a guard asked.
"A damned pickpocket, managed to take a gold dragon from me. I got it back, but he slipped away," Dunaver answered, showing the coin Reyna had given him.
"A pickpocket? Where did he go? We'll hang the bastard when we get him."
"He jumped out the window and ran in the direction of the market."
"Well, if you had stayed with us, the fucker wouldn't have even bothered."
"Let us return to the castle, I do not wish to be here any longer."
"Of course young master, and I'll have a few lads keep an eye out in the markets for this pickpocket."

The guards led Dunaver away, he stole a glance at Reyna's door before heading down the stairs on his way back to the castle.

Last edited:
A little schemer Dunaver is, but can he scheme enough?

Interesting news, even if Albin does not seem to think so.

Chapter 46: A Mother's Mercy

Riverspring
Albin Sheeran

It was the ugliest thing Albin had ever seen. He could not believe he was even holding a child, it was an abomination.

As Dale was his only son, Albin felt he needed more boys in order to ensure the survival of his line as Dale was in everyone's sights. The septons refused to arrange a divorce with Lelia, he would have to have children with her which displeased Albin. Lelia was not cooperative, but Albin did what he had to do to ensure the survival of House Sheeran.

The child was deformed in many ways, its eyes were wide apart and the bald head of the child revealed a skull that was misshapen. If not for the fact Albin could see it for himself, he would never believe the child was a girl.

7S8HZrv.png

He refused to believe this disgusting creature was of his seed, Lelia somehow had to be seeing someone else. He had no proof, his only evidence was the horrid beast that he was obligated to call daughter. Albin considered killing it, it would be a mercy, how could the child live a good life when it looked like a walking corpse? But the septons did not like Albin, he did not want to give them more reasons to hate him.

He had heard the way people spoke about him, his council was loyal, but the servants and vassals gossiped and plotted behind his back. Albin named the girl Melara as he had to make a show to his people that he was willing to let it live, he could not afford to further add to his already damaged reputation. He sat in the lord's chair and prayed for a sudden illness to take Melara, it was the only way to prevent this child from involving itself with House Sheeran.

Ser Selmond came into the hall and bowed his head.

"My lord, there was an incident at Brent Brook's gold mine, but it was handled before it could get out of control," he reported.
"Do you have children, Ser Selmond?" Albin asked.
"Two sons, my lord."
"And how are they?"
"They are well, I thank you for your concern, my lord."
"Very good, I am happy for you."
"My lord?"
"It is nothing, I was just curious."

The Maester's chains shook and clanged, announcing Maester Wylis' presence outside. He appeared and joined Ser Selmond and bowed his head.

"My lord, a letter has arrived from the Most Devout," Maester Wylis said as he produced the letter from his robes.

He came forward and handed the letter to Albin. The letter was quickly ripped open, Albin was curious why the council of the highest septons would write to him. He began reading, it was not a message he was expecting or enjoyed.

Oakenshield
Sylvia Sheeran

Sylvia's mother was dead.

pH96M7l.png

She put the letter from the Most Devout down and laid on her bed. It had been seventeen years since her mother had left Riverspring to pursue a career in the faith. She loved and hated her, Sylvia was thankful for how she raised her, but she also blamed her for all the troubles that fell upon House Sheeran. The day she left was still a vivid memory in her head, Sylvia remembered how much that moment had affected Albin, how it destroyed him. Sylvia knew that if her father could not live on to watch over Albin, at least her mother could have taken responsibility, she simply abandoned Albin when he needed her the most.

The letter made her angry, the septons praised her mother about her service, her devotion to the faith. She did not care about her duties as a septa, Sylvia cared about her shirking her responsibilities as a mother. Hypocrisy oozed in every passage, they described her mother as a charitable, kind, and just woman of the faith, that same woman caused the fighting and death that plagued House Sheeran.

Sylvia remembered the words she spoke that day, her mother claimed to love her husband greatly, yet her actions caused his friends and loyal men to lose everything they built and die lonely deaths. She ripped the letter in two and screamed, Sylvia was as much to blame. The final moment before her mother departed, the two locked eyes, if Sylvia had said something, if she had done something, everything would have been different.

There was a series of quick knocks on the door, it was the standard way Maester Welton knocked. Sylvia got out of bed and made her way to the door, she opened it and saw the Maester with a letter in his hands.

"Another raven arrived shortly after the first, my lady," he said as he held up the letter.
"Thank you, Maester," Sylvia thanked as she took the letter and closed the door.

Sylvia ripped the letter as she made her way back to the bed. She laid down and began reading, it was from Reyna, making another report about the situation in Riverspring and a few words from Dunaver. It was a welcome distraction to the news she just received. But the letter about her mother's death also awakened something in Sylvia, she swore she would not make the same mistakes as her mother, especially when she still had a chance to be a mother to Dunaver.

Riverspring
Albin Sheeran

Albin was supposed to be holding court, but he sat silently in his chair. The nobles and peasants in the room watched the quiet lord anxiously, not knowing why Albin refused to continue with procedures. He did not take the news of his mother's death well. He had read something in a book once, it claimed that sons love their mothers while daughters love their fathers, that was certainly true.

She was always the gentle of his parents, the counter to his father's stern personality. The one that personally fed him when he was younger was not his father, but his mother. Her care was what got him through the days his father could not spend time with him, even then, he did not even need his father as long as he got his mother's love. Albin missed her, he had spent so much time focusing on Casterly Rock and Lelia that he had forgotten his mother was somewhere else.

He was happy to hear that she was at least doing her duties well, even the highest of septons admitted it, it seemed the faith suited her good nature. Albin began to tear up, he wanted everyone to leave him alone but they were all still standing around.

He heard them whispering to each other, he could hear some of them while others concealed their voices well. It was like a new power had developed, he could hear so many voices at once that it made him dizzy, Albin gripped the rests of his chair as hard as he could so that he would not fall out of his chair.

"What's he doing? I've been waiting here for hours," a noble whispered.
"Maybe we should go, the lord ain't in the mood to see us," a peasant told someone.

Albin tried to make the dizzy feeling stop. Suddenly, he caught a voice in the middle of a dialogue.

"Murderer," the voice said before fading away.

His fears were not figments of his imagination. There were quite a few people in the room, how many of them were calling him murderer behind his back? His mind turned back to his mother, how would she feel about the things he did? He knew exactly what his father would do, but his mother, maybe she would see past his crime and see that it was for the good of the family.

The dizzying feeling subsided and Albin raised his head and scanned his people. They were all staring at him, Albin focused his vision on the people's mouths, hoping to find whoever called him a murderer. Nobody was talking, he was sure people were speaking to each other, he could hear it. But they were simply watching him, no mouths moved, but the voices still remained.

90QhJ4N.png

I wonder if Albin might not supply his own punishments

Chapter 47: Grand Ambitions

Riverspring
Dunaver Sheeran

Dunaver had grown up to be a proper man.

PJYrbz6.png

However, he was still a prisoner in Riverspring and longed to be reunited with his mother, he also wanted to meet his half-brother and sister in Oakenshield. Dunaver was put under close guard recently, his increasingly reckless escapes to meet with Reyna most likely had something to do with that. The new guards were not locals, but Dornishmen, they were here to guard Dunaver and his new bride, Arianne Martell.

bHTtju6.png

The marriage was organized by his Uncle Albin, Dunaver had no say in the marriage whatsoever. The Dornish guards were a wildcard that disrupted the plan to escape, they were more aware as they were in a foreign land. But with this wildcard, came an opportunity, Dunaver was to be taken to Dorne which gave a chance for an escape.

Dunaver and Reyna met in the usual place, Reyna's room in the unpopular inn in town. Because of the change in guards, it had been a month since their last meeting but Dunaver could not wait any longer and stole himself away during the night. He sat next to Reyna on her bed.

"Were you followed?" Reyna asked.
"No, I came here as fast as I could," Dunaver answered.
"Good, I've been meeting with old friends and hiring a sellsword or two, we have a small band of men that will help us. Now we need to only wait for the Dornish to take you south so we can ambush the carriage."
"I wish there was another way, the Dornish are innocent in this."
"We have no choice, I made a promise to your mother, I'm bringing you to Oakenshield."

Dunaver sighed at the thoughts of harming people not involved in House Sheeran's politics, but as Reyna said, it was the only way.

"Where will the ambush take place?"
"We can't do it too close to Riverspring, your uncle would chase us down too quickly. Maybe if we were to strike as the carriage crossed the border into Robert Payne's lands."
"Can you assure me that Arianne won't be hurt? We don't need the wrath of the Martells along with my Uncle."
"Ah, the Martells, we're going to have to make them believe you're dead, or else they'll be searching for you from Sunspear to the Wall."
"How do you propose we do that?"
"I'll need time to think about it, hopefully the Dornish take their time."

Reyna's window was closed, but the noises outside could still be heard. Down below on the ground, Dunaver could hear a familiar accent, a Dornish accent.

"Where could he have gone?" a Dornishman asked.
"Keep searching, we have to find him," another one answered.

Reyna looked at Dunaver concerned.

"What is it?" she asked.
"Arianne's guards, they found out I escaped," Dunaver answered.
"I thought you said you weren't followed."
"My uncle's guards are comfortable and lazy, these Dornish are different."
"Do they know about this place?"
"They shouldn't, I'll have to stay here until they're gone."
"Dunaver, you need to be found."
"What?"
"They'll be kicking down doors if they can't find you, let them find you as far from here as you can."

Dunaver nodded.

"You're right, I'll wait until they're gone, then I'll go."
"Don't worry, Dunaver, focus on your goal and everything will work for the best."

He took Reyna's words to heart and waited until he could not hear the Dornish guard's footsteps or voices. When he was sure he they were past, Dunaver stood up and departed from Reyna's room, giving her one last nod before shutting the door.

Casterly Rock
Dale Sheeran

Dale was sitting in his council's meeting, a suggestion from his tutors and Maester Gawen. The council were surprised to see the young lord, but were quickly pleased to see a boy so young take an interest in the matters of adults.

There were only three councillors present, but they were an interesting cast of characters. In charge of all of Casterly Rock's affairs was Castellan Pate Kenning, a young and ambitious man who had been quite patient with Dale's rise to power. The man who saw to The Rock's defences was Master-at-Arms Tywle Lefford, he was a loud and angry man most of the time, but his insights and intelligence proved very valuable. Finally, there was Lord Treasurer Theomore of Prent, the lowest of the council, figuratively and literally, he was the mayor of the Town of Prent who just so happened to be a dwarf. All of these men had previously served Tymos Lannister, the young man Dale had heard been murdered by his own father.

"How goes the training for the guard, Tywle?" Castellan Pate Kenning asked
"Very good, Lord Kenning, twelve recruits are ready to take up their duties," Master-at-Arms Tywle Lefford answered.
"Theomore, would you like to give a report on our incomes?" the Castellan asked.
"We've made a substantial amount, our total income after all expenses equates to ninety-thousand gold dragons for the month," Lord Treasurer Theomore of Prent answered.
"That's a lot of money, I don't know if I could fit in my pockets," Dale interjected.

The men smiled.

"The Westerlands is a rich land, and with a capable ruler, it could be richer than all of the Seven Kingdoms," Pate said.
"Aye, Tymos was smart, but he didn't give a shit, hopefully you're different, my lord," Tywle said.
"Only time will tell, but for now, the regency council must ensure the Westerland's prosperity," Pate replied.
"I want to be good," Dale said.

The men laughed.

"He's got the attitude at least," Theomore joked.

Maester Gawen came into the chamber, it felt strange having a Northman serve Casterly Rock considering the past between the Starks and Lannisters, but it was a new era as it was the Glovers and Sheerans that ruled their respective lands, not the Starks or Lannisters.

"Letter from Riverspring, my lords," he announced.
"Great, what does that crazy fuck want?" Tywle asked.

Dale noticed Pate covertly gesture to Tywle, he immediately sat up straight and acted as if he said nothing at all. The boy was young, but not deaf, he heard the things people said about his father and even Dale, the council obviously spoke ill of his father when Dale was not around.

"Should I read the letter for you, my lord?" Pate asked.
"No, I want to practice reading," Dale answered.

Pate nodded and handed the letter over. Dale ripped it open and unfolded it with his small child hands.

"I will take my leave," Maester Gawen said.
"To the Regency Council of Dale Sheeran," Dale began. "I, Lord Albin Sheeran of Riverspring request to be made guardian and tutor of Lord Paramount Dale Sheeran. As his father, I have the right to raise him and house him. He will be well cared for, as he is my only son, on my honour as a man, Dale Sheeran shall become a shining example for all the lords to come."

6jbc92g.png

The men sat and thought about the letter.

"At least his Maester isn't a nutter," Tywle scoffed.
"Quite a bold move, requesting to become guardian to a Lord Paramount," Theomore said.
"He obviously doesn't trust us," Pate said as he crossed his arms.
"I'm surprised if he trusts anyone," Tywle joked, he looked around to see if anyone reacted.
"Legally, the guardianship of a child is an ill-defined area when it comes to the regency. We can advise you, my lord, but ultimately it is your decision if you wish to go to your father," Pate told Dale.

Dale stopped to think about it. His councillors were obvious in the fact that they wanted Dale to stay, but with all the things he heard about his father, he wanted to see what his father had become himself.

"I will go," Dale declared.
"Are you certain, my lord? You could be a hostage in your father's court," Tywle warned.
"My father murdered and went against the Lannisters to put me here, he wouldn't be stupid enough to hurt me. I will bring a guard of one-hundred men, the head of the guard shall report back every month. If he fails to report, you men will gather forces to reclaim me from my father's court," Dale ordered.
"Barely ten and he's already showing a great amount of wisdom. When Robin Arryn was ten he was still suckling his mother's teats," Pate said.
"Aye, and then he went on to lose the Vale to the Hardyngs, our lord has shown he will not make the same mistakes," Theomore praised.
"I will ask one more time, my lord, are you certain that you want to go?" Pate asked.

Dale nodded.

"I will go, maybe I can help my father, I've heard bad things about him."

The men nodded and concluded the meeting, Dale's three councillors looked at him like proud fathers to their sons. He had made a good first impression as a lord, although he mostly believed the men were simply surprised a young boy could say big words. Nevertheless, the council also made a good impression to Dale, he believed they would become very useful in the years to come.

Riverspring
Albin Sheeran

Albin wanted his son to come home. No matter how hard he tried, Lelia kept giving birth to daughters, as if it were an act of defiance. After the freak of nature she gave birth to, she had given birth to another girl, a girl named Jorelle.

xNfczGJ.png

If Albin could not have a son, then he could simply bring back his own. He waited anxiously for the raven from Casterly Rock, going so far as to sit outside the Maester's study which had a window to receive ravens. Albin sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall, he had been there for hours and began to daydream. After some time, he became dazed and immersed himself in the world of dreams.

He was walking down a strange hall, barely lit by torches that were scarcely placed. He could see far down the hall, it was a long straight trail with no end in sight. The further he went, the tighter the hall seemed. He was running out of time, he ran forward, hoping to outrun the constricting walls before they could crush him. It was hopeless, there was no way he was making it to the end before suffocating. In his infinite wisdom, Albin simply turned around instead of trying to escape, but it proved to be the right decision as the long hall had become a large room.

There was a giant altar with a stone tomb at the centre of an otherwise empty room. It looked untouched and had been gathering a lot of dust. Albin crept slowly up the steps to the altar and placed his hand on the tomb, leaving an imprint of his hand on the thick layer of dust. He prepared his arms and lifted the heavy stone cover off the tomb, hoping to see what lay inside. When he pushed the cover out of the way, he looked inside and saw a sword that shone like the sun, could it have been Valyrian Steel?

Albin was just about to grab it when he suddenly woke up to the feeling of being tapped on the shoulder.

"My lord?" Maester Wylis greeted.
"What? Oh, it's nothing. Have you heard back from Casterly Rock?" Albin asked.

The Maester showed a sealed letter to Albin.

"It's from Casterly Rock, my lord."

Albin eagerly ripped the seal. Before he began reading, he remembered his dream, he wanted the sword he was so close to grabbing.

HssMHFv.png

The letter was from Dale personally, although the handwriting was too good to be that of a child. Albin smiled, Dale was happy to accept an invitation home and charged Albin with becoming his guardian.

JxETBsN.png

Satisfied, Albin threw the ripped letter onto the floor and stood up. He left the Maester to pick up the litter and made his way to the great hall so he could sit in his chair, he liked his chair. When he arrived outside the hall, he noticed Dornish guards standing at every door, preventing anyone from stepping in. Albin was about to turn away when one of the Dornishmen called Albin and said Lady Arianne Martell was waiting for him in the hall.

He was displeased at the thought a child who had recently turned fourteen was ordering a man almost forty years old. However, Albin wished to forge an alliance with the Martells and therefore had no choice but to heed the girl's command. The Dornishmen opened the door and allowed Albin and his guards through.

Arianne was waiting in front of Albin's chair, behind her were five guards who had their hands close to their swords.

"Lord Sheeran," Arianne greeted.

Albin ignored the girl until he sat in his chair, he sighed in relief at its comfort.

"Arianne, what do you need?" Albin asked.
"Is there a brothel in Riverspring?"
"A brothel? I did not know you partook in such things."

Arianne crossed her arms.

"No, I do not partake in such things. But is there a brothel in Riverspring?"
"There isn't, why do you ask?"
"Dunaver is my husband, and we have consummated the marriage. But lately, he has been sneaking out at night or evading the guards."
"And you think he goes off to some brothel that doesn't exist?"

The young girl rolled her eyes.

"He goes to the same place every time, if where he goes is not a brothel, then he must be having an affair behind my back."
"And what would you like me to do?"
"My guards would be mobbed in the streets if they were to start kicking down doors. If you want my family to like you, you will have your guards find this woman Dunaver is seeing and punish her."
"If it pleases you, I will have Ser Selmond personally take some men to find out what is happening, although it would help to have one of your men take him there."
"Of course, I want this harlot found more than you do."

Albin smiled.

"Then it is agreed. Hopefully when you finally make it back to Dorne, you tell your father how much I've helped you."
"I will tell my father everything, but only if you end Dunaver's antics before it becomes a scandal."
"A formidable lady you are, Arianne, I pity the poor woman that Dunaver is seeing."

Arianne did not bid Albin a good day and simply left. After she was gone, Albin fell further into his chair and enjoyed its comfort, he always wondered how someone could make it so comfortable.

Uh-oh. Trouble incoming!

Chapter 48: Sorrowful Reunions

Riverspring, Border to Payne Hall
Dunaver Sheeran

The time to strike was now, the carriage was crossing beyond his Uncle Albin's territory. Dunaver wondered if he should warn Arianne who was sitting across from him, as much as he wanted to be free, he did not want any unnecessary bloodshed. It was a hard choice, but Dunaver decided not to warn her, she would only make things difficult for Reyna and her men if she knew something was about to happen.

"My father may die soon, I will become the Princess of Dorne," Arianne said.
"I wish your reign is nothing but prosperous," Dunaver replied.

The young lady stared out the window, she looked bored, Dunaver could not blame her as there was not much to see besides trees.

"Riders from behind!" one of the Dornish guards outside yelled.

Both Arianne and Dunaver moved to get as good of a look as they could.

"Stop the carriage!" Arianne commanded.

The carriage halted and the guards lined up to meet whatever was coming. It had to be Reyna, but why was she ambushing this way? It would have been more effective to camp along the road and hit the column as it passed. Arianne opened the door and stepped outside while the guards demanded she stay with Dunaver. There was something odd, he could hear the cries and screams of a woman.

"Hail!" a familiar voice greeted.
"Ser Selmond!" Arianne greeted back.

Dunaver's heart sank to his gut. What was Ser Selmond doing here? He was absolutely horrified when he realized who the screaming woman could possibly be. Dunaver quickly joined Arianne outside.

"Ser Selmond?" Dunaver asked.
"Dunaver, I'm glad I was able to catch you and Arianne," he said.

Dunaver looked behind Ser Selmond and saw Reyna, her hands were tied together and anchored on Ser Selmond's saddle while her face and dress were covered in blood. He remembered the time he talked to Reyna about the Dothraki, the way Ser Selmond had her was exactly the same as one of their torture methods. They had forced her to run or be dragged along with the horses, considering the distance between the border and Riverspring, Dunaver was both relieved and surprised to see her alive.

"Is this the woman? She's so old," Arianne said.
"I don't think our young Dunaver was fucking her. No, she's the friend of his mother, the same mother that abandoned her," Ser Selmond explained.
"She never abandoned me! My uncle forced her out of her home while you took me on that hunting trip!" Dunaver yelled.
"Your uncle would be disappointed to hear that your mind has been poisoned by this spy from The Reach."
"Dunaver..." Reyna weakly said.
"Let her come with me! Please, Ser Selmond! She won't spy on you if she's all the way in Dorne, I beg you!"

Ser Selmond kept his hand close to his sword.

"I think we'll keep her, we'll have to interrogate her for information. You know, we should really punish you for what you've done."
"Touch my husband and you shall die," Arianne threatened as her guards drew their blades.

Ser Selmond's guards drew their swords and a standoff ensued. Arianne most likely did not care about the infighting, that's why she was willing to protect Dunaver while not being bothered by Reyna's circumstances at all. He had to do something, Reyna's life was on the line. Dunaver took Arianne by the hands and knelt down in front of her.

"Arianne, I beg you, please demand Ser Selmond release her. Please take her to Dorne with us."
"Who is she again?"
"She is the friend of my mother, she was sent here to get me back to Oakenshield, so we could reunite after all these years."
"Take you to Oakenshield? But we're going to Dorne."
"Please, we will go to Dorne, let me save her life."
"Her mission was to take you away, you're not going to be taken away."
"Please! I'll do anything! I don't want her to die!"

Dunaver was reduced to tears and cried loudly for everyone to hear. Arianne waited for him to look back up before responding.

"The moment she recovers, she will plot to take you away. Your mother wants to see you so badly that she was willing to sacrifice her friend. Even if she dies, your mother will send more people."
"Arianne!"
"Ser Selmond take her away, I don't want her."
"As you wish, my lady," Ser Selmond said.

He bowed his head and demanded his men put away their swords, the Dornishmen reciprocated this resolution. Ser Selmond turned his horse around and trotted away.

"Dunaver!" Reyna screamed.

Ser Selmond urged his horse forward, Reyna ran a few steps before she could not keep up with the horse and ended up being dragged along the stone road.

"Reyna!" Dunaver yelled.

Reyna screamed as she was dragged, Dunaver quickly turned away after hearing her cries. He refused to get back in the carriage and was eventually forced inside by the guards. Arianne stared at Dunaver, he refused to even look at her. The carriage started moving again, Dunaver sat in silence, resigning himself to the fact he would most likely never see his mother again. There was a side of him that was glad, not for the fact he would never reunite with his family, but for the fact she had two other children to care for and raise. Throughout the entire carriage ride to Dorne, Dunaver wondered how life would have been like if his mother was able to stay in Riverspring and raise him.

Riverspring
Albin Sheeran

The procession from Casterly Rock was a lot larger than Albin had expected. He had lost count at thirty horsemen yet they still kept on coming. All of them were tall and strong men wearing the finest red armour, not even Albin had armour as fine as these guards. Every now and then two men side by side carried the banner of House Sheeran, it was a fine sight to see such a group carry the White Heart. There was a carriage in the centre of the line, the column came to a halt when the carriage lined up with the gate to the courtyard.

Albin looked down behind the carriage and saw even more riders that were as numerous as the men in the front. Smallfolk gathered to watch the army of men arriving, curious to see who would bring such an entourage. The carriage's windows were shut, Albin was expecting his son but anyone could have been inside. A man wearing armour that was lined with gold stepped out after opening the door, he removed his helmet and revealed himself to be a man that looked thirty with messy black hair.

After the man settled himself, Dale revealed himself and stepped out. He was wearing green robes with a small white cloak, the colours of House Sheeran. Albin smiled and approached his son, the man with fine armour stopped him before he could get any closer.

"Dale, welcome home," Albin said, trying to smile as much as he could.
"Hello, father," Dale greeted.
"That's it? You've been away so long and all you got is hello?"

Dale showed no emotion. Was this even Albin's son? He was disappointed at his son's reaction to returning to his birthplace, to his father.

"Father, this is Ser Ronald Corton, he will be the head of my personal guard," Dale introduced as he held his arm out in the direction his guard.
"Greetings, Lord Albin, your son's security will be taken care of," Ser Ronald greeted.
"My men will need places to sleep and their horses will need stables, it seems the castle is not large enough to handle this," Dale commanded.

His voice was that of a leader, Albin had to admit that. But he wanted to speak to his son, not to the Lord of the Westerlands.

YSTzH8L.png

"Maester Wylis and Castellan Stafford can make the arrangements," Albin said.
"Where is mother? I would think she would want to greet me."
"Your mother is around, she is not ready to see you though."
"I will see her myself later, Ser Ronald, find the Maester and Castellan and make the arrangements for the men."
"Yes, my lord."
"I had prepared a feast to celebrate your arrival, but I didn't expect you to bring so many men," Albin admitted.
"Why should the most important lord in all the Westerlands have a less than satisfactory force of guards?"
"Forget I said anything, son, please come in! You must be tired after the long journey," Albin laughed.

Albin directed Dale and Ser Ronald inside the keep. This meeting had worried Albin, he called Dale back so he could spend time with his son, but it seemed like all he wanted to do was be a lord and stay near Ser Ronald. Albin could only hope this was a facade and that they could be father and son in a more private setting.

Riverspring
Dale Sheeran

Dale's father was ill prepared for his arrival, there was only enough food to go around for it to be an average supper, not a feast for nobles and brave men. Even then, Dale did not eat all the fruits, vegetables, and meats that laid on his plate, he only ate until he was full rather than for pleasure.

nOvyUSB.png

A dwarf girl was sitting at another table and decided to come over to Dale. One of Dale's guards moved to stop her but Dale allowed her through.

"Dale," the dwarf greeted while smiling.
"I'm sorry, but I don't know who you are," Dale said.

The dwarf laughed.

"That's right, you were two when you left. I'm your eldest sister, Ellyn, gods you've grown."
"And you've stayed short."
"Hah!"
"I'm sorry, that was rude of me."
"No, I've gotten used to it now, so now it doesn't hurt me anymore."
"You've a good head on your shoulders, Ellyn, I'm glad you define yourself by who you are rather than what you are."

Ellyn blushed.

"Are you even my brother? But forget that, I have so many questions, tell me, what is Casterly Rock like?" Ellyn asked as she settled herself in between Dale and the guard next to him.
"It's taller than I thought it'd be."
"Tall enough to drop a rock off the tallest tower and walk fifty leagues before it hits the ground?"
"It's not that tall."

Ellyn laughed, prompting Dale to laugh as well. He enjoyed his sister's company, he heard he had other sisters, but none of them took the initiative to sit with him like Ellyn did. The two talked for half an hour on a variety of topics, they spoke about Casterly Rock, how Riverspring was doing, and even gossiped. Ser Ronald and several of Dale's guards walked down the aisles of tables and approached Dale.

"My lord, we found her," Ser Ronald reported.
"You have? Good, I would like to see her now," Dale said.
"Where are you going?" Ellyn asked.
"I have something important I must do, I'm sorry we cannot talk more, Ellyn."

Ellyn nodded and allowed Dale to leave. Dale got up and walked to the door of the great hall. In the corner of his eye he noticed his father watching him leave, but he did not care and continued on with Ser Ronald and the guards.

Ser Ronald lead Dale to a small dark staircase in a secluded area of the castle. One of the other guards had a torch and went in first to light the way. Dale stayed in the centre of the formation and made his way down the tight stairway. When he finally reached the bottom, he realized this was the castle's dungeons. His father had quite a few prisoners in his cells, most were dirty commoners but there was one in particular that looked like a minor noble, maybe he was someone that wronged his father at some point.

Ser Ronald lead Dale to the very end of the dungeons and stopped. In the deepest and darkest cell was his mother, he barely recognized her, the only way he knew it was her was because of her dwarfism. She was dirty and her once noble robes were tattered rags with fading colours.

"Mother," Dale called softly.

She immediately turned and crawled toward the bars of her dungeon.

"Dale? Is that you?" she asked.
"Yes, mother."
"Why have you come here? To mock House Lannister's downfall as you sit comfortably in The Rock?"
"Mother, I wanted to show you that I am nothing like father. In fact, I met with Ellyn, and she seems like a wonderful young lady."
"You know about the things your father has done?"
"I've only heard rumours, but I know they're true. Mother, forget your hatred of our family, I promise you that none of us will become what father has become, I will make the Westerlands prosper."

His mother teared up.

"I destroyed my family's legacy because I was greedy."
"Ambition destroyed your family, I've heard bad things about Tymos from the council, maybe you considered yourself the better heir?"
"That... that's exactly how I justified my actions."
"I am sorry about all the things father's done to you, but his end will come soon."
"Have you come here to kill him?"

Dale shook his head.

"No, I came to control him."
"Control him? Your father is a beast that cannot be tamed. I tried, and now I sit in this cell for the rest of my days."
"Because the time of Lannister ended, your words and actions were empty to him."

His mother gripped the bars tightly.

"No, he has simply lost his mind."
"He can be controlled, mother, all men can be controlled, its why men swear fealty to kings or soldiers heed the commands of their leaders."
"Your son shows much wisdom despite his youth, you should be proud," Ser Ronald praised.

His mother reached out, hoping to touch her son's hands.

"I am proud of you, Dale. I don't even know how you came from your father's seed. The Lannisters will fight you until they are all dead. But... but I hope you succeed, because you are my child, my lion."

Dale held his mother's hand in both palms.

"I cannot get you out of here, mother. But I promise you father will never do to someone else what he has done to you, I will make sure of it."

The impish woman sniffled and pulled her hand back behind the bars.

"I never got to raise you, but your father and I were both bad people, maybe it was for the best."
"Farewell, mother."

Dale called for his guards to follow him back to the feast. With his mother unable to see him, Dale finally squeezed out the tears he had been holding back. His eyes were strained and his vision blurred from the lens of wet tears. As he walked down the hall, the calls of the prisoners were drowned out by one sound, the sound of his mother crying.

Part of me thinks, to the outside and to history, Albin might seem to be not so bad a Lord. But we are privileged to see the inside.

I hope for a comeuppance, but that seems unlikely to say the least.

Chapter 49: The Next Generation

Oakenshield
Sylvia Sheeran

Sylvia watched Ermond practice his swordfighting with Ser Harlan. The boy was no match for the experienced knight but there was visible progress in his sword skills. Ermond had managed to block two consecutive strikes before Ser Harlan broke through his defence and tapped him on the arm with his wooden sword.

"Very good, Ermond, but try not to give too much ground. You'll be focused on two different things, giving me the advantage," Ser Harlan suggested.
"But you attack so fast, I can't stand still," Ermond complained.
"I attack fast so that you are forced to retreat. No matter how many of my attacks you block, you'll tire yourself out or trip if you keep running backward like that."
"I understand. Again."

Ser Harlan nodded and stood a sword and a half's length away from Ermond. The knight launched another assault and made quick attacks. Ermond dodged or blocked what he could but he was again struck by Ser Harlan.

"Keep at it, you'll be able to stand your ground well soon."
"You'll be a soldier like your grandfather," Sylvia praised.
"He fought in the War of the Five Kings, right?" Ermond asked.

Sylvia nodded.

"He did fight, even against Stannis Baratheon himself."
"Really?"
"Well, he never fought him personally, but House Sheeran was there when the final battle was fought."
"Did he like fighting?"
"No, he hated it, but he did what he had to do."
"Fighting makes me tired, I don't like it either, but I want to protect my home."

Sylvia smiled.

"That's how most men think, I believed there would be no more wars after Daenerys reclaimed the throne, but every few years there's always someone who wants to start trouble. I'm glad you want to be ready for that."

Ermond readied a stance to fight Ser Harlan again. The two went at it again and Sylvia watched quietly.

"Lady Sylvia!" Maester Welton called.

He came into the courtyard, in his hands was a large box made from fine wood. It was painted green and white, the colours of House Sheeran.

"What is this?" Sylvia asked.
"It arrived here just now, it was addressed to you."

Ermond and Ser Harlan stopped sparring and came over to check on what the box was. Sylvia pulled off the top and noticed another box that barely fit inside. On top of this second box was a small piece of parchment with writing on it. Sylvia took the paper up and read it.

"Will you risk the two for the one?" Sylvia read.
"What does that mean?" Ermond asked.
"I don't know. Maester, who sent me this?"
"The box was quickly dropped off and the crew of the ship rowed back before anyone could ask."
"Strange, should I open it for you, my lady?" Ser Harlan asked.
"No, Ser Harlan, I'll open it myself."
"As you wish."

Sylvia pried the second box open and threw off the cover. She shrieked and dropped the box onto the floor, its contents rolling out and onto the ground. It was her friend Reyna's head.

"Reyna!" she screamed.
"Maester Welton, take the boy away!" Ser Harlan yelled.

The Maester quickly covered Ermond's eyes and ushered him away and into the keep.

"Gods, Reyna!"
"Don't look my lady!" Ser Harlan said.

Ser Harlan hastily put the head back inside the box so nobody would see it, a bit of blood still remained in the stones of the courtyard. Sylvia felt lightheaded and sat down on the ground, her vision blurred and turned white temporarily. Ser Harlan knelt down next to her and tried to keep her awake.

She knew what the words meant now. Albin had caught Reyna and killed her, they must have tortured her brutally as her face was covered in scratches and lost skin. If they had caught her, then Albin was finally aware of her desires to bring back Dunaver. His network of spies was aware of her family, Albin made that clear when he spoke Ermond's name during their confrontation. If she wanted to try to bring back Dunaver, she would be risking the lives of her two other children and Albin taunted her by making it sound like a simple exchange.

Sylvia covered her face with her hands and cried. After all her efforts, every single one of her old friends and allies from Riverspring were gone. She felt a great feeling of regret, Reyna was the one that volunteered but it was Sylvia that allowed her to go. If she knew she was never getting Dunaver back, she wanted to at least keep Reyna. In a few short moments, Sylvia thought not of how she was going to beat Albin, instead she thought of how she was going to tell her father in the Otherworld that she had failed him.

Riverspring
Ellyn Sheeran

The dwarf had found knitting was something she could do well at as her hands were small. With great precision she navigated her needles carefully to ensure a durable but also pretty design. She was no master, so she kept her design simple and made a handkerchief of House Sheeran's sigil. Beside her was her sister Joanna, she was struggling a little with her normal hands, however, she was smiling the entire time.

"Ugh, knitting is so hard," Joanna complained.
"I don't even know what you're trying to make," Ellyn joked.
"A handkerchief, for my betrothed."

The handkerchief Joanna was making was something that was red on a sea of black. What caught Ellyn's attention more however was the mention of a betrothed, Joanna was her younger sister and yet she was betrothed before Ellyn.

"Your betrothed? You're getting married?"
"Father did not tell you, oh I'm going to be a queen!"

The girl stopped knitting and held her unfinished product tightly.

"Queen? Of Westeros?" Ellyn asked, her eyes widened.
"Oh no, I will be Queen of Yunkai, I'm going to marry Rhaekar Targaryen!"

2TpMGU5.png

"A Targaryen? Gods, you're going to be part of Daenerys' family. Where is Yunkai anyway?"
"I don't know, all I know is I'm going to be the queen of it!"

Joanna went back to her knitting, but she once again had a difficult time trying to make her design work.

"You are making the Targaryen's sigil?"
"I'm trying."
"Let me see help you with that."

Her sister looked up at Ellyn surprised.

"You'd help me?"
"Father wasn't going to marry me to Rhaekar, there is no reason for me to be angry at you."

Joanna reluctantly handed over her knitting to Ellyn who began assessing it.

"The three headed dragon is too hard to make."
"I might have to make this all over again, but I think I can manage it."
"Thank you, Ellyn."
"I just hope you'll be happy in Yunkai, wherever that is."

The girls laughed. Ellyn used her small hands to carefully undo some of Joanna's progress as she watched on intently. Joanna could not see it, but Ellyn's knitting was starting to become rough, jealousy and resentment disrupted her work.

Riverspring
Dale Sheeran

Dale charged forward and launched a barrage of quick swings with his wooden sword at Ser Ronald that changed direction every time. Ser Ronald was forced to fall back to give himself distance from Dale's fury. The young lord was beginning to tire, but he continued pressing on, hoping to overwhelm the head of his bodyguards. His effort payed off, Ser Ronald took a step too far and lost his balance, he fell backward and rolled on the floor. Dale kicked Ser Ronald's sword away and aimed the tip of his weapon straight at his face.

"Very good, my lord!" Ser Ronald praised.

ViHMzNL.png

Dale was still trying to catch his breath.

"Thank you, Ser Ronald, it was a good exchange," Dale thanked.

Behind Ser Ronald was Ser Selmond who was his father's Master-at-Arms, he was approaching the sparring pair in the courtyard. Guards moved to stand in the way but Dale told them to stand down.

"The captain of your guard disarmed by a boy barely past ten," Ser Selmond laughed.
"I'm training my lord," Ser Ronald replied.
"I don't know how much a man bested by a child can teach."
"You're no better than a common sellsword, I could send you to the dirt in seconds."
"Fuck you."
"Well, you talk like one at least."
"Noble knights, there is no need for violence, why not a nice and simple training session between fighters?" Dale asked as he went to pick up Ser Ronald's wooden sword.

Dale walked over to Ser Ronald and handed him his weapon. Ser Selmond undid the belt that held his sword's sheath and placed it on the ground.

"Take off your armour, let us fight on even terms," Ser Selmond demanded as he received Dale's wooden sword.
"If you insist on giving me even more speed and mobility."

Ser Ronald stripped his armour off all the way to the leather tabard, it took some time for him to take off everything. The two walked back and forth in front of the other, gauging each other. Ser Ronald suddenly launched a sideways swing, Ser Selmond blocked but did not expect Ser Ronald to suddenly get in his face. Using the surprise to his advantage, Ser Ronald kicked Ser Selmond's knee forcing him to bend down which allowed Ser Ronald to push him on his back.

Ser Selmond defiantly raised his sword out but Ser Ronald made a double-handed swing, overpowering the one hand and disarming Ser Selmond. As Dale did to him moments ago, Ser Ronald aimed the tip of his wooden sword at Ser Selmond's head.

"Enough, Ser Ronald! He's seen enough," Dale called.
"I've fought much better," Ser Ronald said.
"Ser Selmond, Ser Ronald Corton is a veteran of the many rebellions against the queen. He has fought soldiers, knights, and sellswords all across Westeros, he's not the Sword of the Morning, yet he has proven himself worthy to be the captain of my guards."
"Aye, I see that," Ser Selmond said as he stood back up, favouring his left leg.
"I hand picked my hundred men for my lord's guard, each of them could do what I did to you just as easily."
"If you'll excuse us, Ser Selmond, I would like to get back to training," Dale said.

Ser Selmond grabbed his sword on the ground and walked off, he was mumbling something but Dale could not make out the words. He had never intended for any conflict between his guards and the men of Riverspring, but the encounter proved to be useful to Dale. Ser Selmond had a reputation as being his father's right hand, to humble him so easily could make the man more fearful and wary of Dale's entourage. His father was not sane, but he still heeded the advice of Ser Selmond, he would most likely advise caution in any situation involving the men of Casterly Rock, an advantage in his attempts to rein his father in.

"If only he had a sword hand to match his mouth," Ser Ronald joked.
"My father's men have grown lazy and complacent," Dale observed.
"That one wasn't lazy, he's just a thug, not a Master-at-arms. The Westerlands hasn't fought a war for some time and now everyone's gotten lazy, Riverspring's men are an example of that."
"It isn't good for my reign and the future of my house when the men of Riverspring sit around doing nothing."
"Well, that's why you're here, aren't you?"
"Yes. Now, Ser Ronald, let us go again."

Dale was fully refreshed and prepared for another fight with Ser Ronald. Ser Ronald made the first strike and the two began another round of sparring.

Dale shows some flint in his soul.

Poor Sylvia.

Well damn, Chapter 50, it feels like yesterday we were following the story of a young man trying to keep his house together.
Chapter 50: Lord Payne II

Sunspear, Water Gardens
Dunaver Sheeran

Dorne was like nothing Dunaver had ever seen before. Its climate, its people, and its culture were vastly different to the other lands of Westeros. Dunaver's time as a guest in Dorne was cut short when the rebellion against Daenerys Targaryen failed, the result was his father-in-law abdicating to his eldest child Arianne Martell, Dunaver's wife. And so, the young man trapped in Riverspring had become the Prince of Dorne.

aBPGLDx.png

Although he was now a very powerful man, he still resented his Uncle Albin and his wife Arianne for killing his friend Reyna Crakehall. Dunaver longed to see his mother again, but he was not allowed to leave Sunspear and the Dornish were quite effective in watching for any escapes or plots. Arianne's influence could be seen across his attempts to contact or meet his mother, she had ordered the Maester to refuse Dunaver any ravens and ensured Dunaver moved around according to a strict schedule.

One night the two were alone in their chambers at the Water Gardens, staring out the windows at the moon.

"Do you hate me?" Arianne asked.
"Do you want the honest answer or what you want to hear?" Dunaver answered.
"Those are the same thing."
"You had the chance to save my friend, a few words, and Ser Selmond would have released her. I was forced to be separated from my mother, Reyna was all my mother and I had left."
"You have me."
"I was already going to have you, I wanted to bring her, to save her."
"She was going to steal you away from me."
"It is my duty as the Prince of Dorne to serve Dorne and its people, my mother knows about duty more than anyone. She would have sent me back after we reunited."
"What do you want from me? An apology."
"No."
"This?"

Arianne began undoing some of the knots of her dress. Dunaver shook his head.

"I want to go see my mother, at least once."
"I cannot let you leave Dorne."
"I won't be leaving Dorne, I'll be visiting Oakenshield."
"If your mother kept you there, the only way I would get you back is through force and that would mean attacking territory under the protection of the Lord of The Reach."

Dunaver turned to Arianne.

"My mother needs to see me just once, once I'm done, I will come straight back, I swear it."
"What assurances would I have?"
"As I said, she understands the importance of duty, she would send me back the moment she was ready. Send an army of guards with me, have them drag me back if they want, I just want to see my mother."

Arianne stopped to think, she spent some time in silence before she turned back to Dunaver.

"If it will make you happy, you may go. But promise me one thing."
"Anything."
"The moment you step foot back on Dorne, you will no longer be a man of House Sheeran, you will be The Prince of Dorne."
"You would have me cast aside my entire family?"
"How much do you want to see your mother?"

Dunaver clenched his fists.

"Is there no other way?"
"Its the only way I know you will do your duty as my prince well."

He spent some time to think about it. Dunaver previously had no way to see his mother, but now he had a chance at the cost of his ties to his house. The conflict played in his mind, his loyalty to his house and his love for his mother were two things he held dear, he had to pick one. Dunaver remembered the conversations with Reyna, the things that happened to his mother and the struggles she went through resonated in him, he wanted to grant her one small victory after a life of defeat.

"I will do as you say, when I return, I will not be Dunaver of House Sheeran, I shall be Dunaver the Prince of Dorne."

Arianne nodded and wrapped her arm around Dunaver's.

"It was a hard choice, but in time, you will see it was the right one. Pack your things, I want you back as soon as possible."
"Thank you, Arianne."

Arianne had enough and retreated to the bed, Dunaver decided to continue watching the night sky. It was calming to him, he shook in anticipation at the thought of finally seeing his mother again. He thought about what he would say, he had one chance and one chance only, he could not waste it. Dunaver continued to stare at the moon, he wondered if his mother was staring at it too.

Riverspring
Ellyn Sheeran

Ellyn had decided to attend court today, she was often doing other things during the time her father called court but she wanted to experience it herself. The doors had yet to be opened but she could hear the smallfolk and nobles outside ready with their petitions. Other than her father, Ser Selmond and her brother Dale were attending and stood to the side like Ellyn was. After some waiting, her father stood up straight in his seat.

"Let them in," her father ordered.

The guards at the door opened it and let in those waiting outside. As Ellyn expected, it was a varied bunch of people ranging from farmers to nobles and men or women. She noticed Dale was watching her father instead of the guests, she wondered why. Her father gestured someone to present themself and a man who looked to come from the town stepped forward.

"M'lord," he greeted.
"What do you want?" her father asked.
"As y'know, the annual harvest festival is approachin'. We haven't all the coin needed to organize it this year and we'd like to ask for your generous support."

Ellyn found it amusing how the common man tried his best to speak proper, but she was also impressed at his etiquette, if she were sitting in her father's chair, she would have immediately said yes.

"How much?"
"We have a bit of money already, we need only five hundred gold dragons."
"Five hundred? That's how much the mine at Brent Brook gives me in a month! You're not a farmer, you're a thief! A beggar!"

QVtNOF8.png

There were some murmurs among the court. Ellyn looked over to Dale and noticed he crossed his arms while giving a disapproving look, although her father did not seem to notice.

"Please m'lord, since the times of Lord Ed we've had this festival, it's tradition."
"If you value your traditions so much, you will find the money elsewhere, now get out!"
"M'lord!"

Her father ignored the man and sat in silence. The man turned around and stormed out, he took his time and did not hide his anger.

"What was that?!"
"It was nothing, m'lord."
"I heard you say something, something horrible."

Ellyn knew the man did not say anything, her father was imagining things again like he always did.

"M'lord, I swear it was nothing."
"Take him!"

Several guards grabbed the man and began dragging him away. He was kicking, screaming, and begging all at the same time as the guards took him away. The murmurs among the crowd turned into a frenzy of whispers. Across the room, Dale whispered something to one of his guards who then departed and had three men follow him to where the man was dragged out of.

"Next!" Ser Selmond yelled.
"Wait! Who said that?! Who called me murderer! I heard it!"

The court became silent. Ellyn's father scanned the room, his grip tightened on the rests of his chair.

"My lord?" Ser Selmond asked.
"I am no murderer! I was manipulated! The real murderer is downstairs in the dungeons!"
"Father, please calm yourself," Dale pleaded.
"No! I am no murderer! I am innocent! You will not execute me! I demand a trial!"

vCxAjyS.png

The crowd turned into a vicious pack of animals, screaming and yelling at each other. Ellyn kept close to the wall as people were pushing and yelling all around, the tall people surrounding her was almost suffocating. Her father ordered for the room to be cleared but the people struggled as the guards tried to send them away. Dale suddenly stood in the centre of the room with his guards.

"Silence!" Dale yelled, his voice not even matching the boy standing among adults.
"Dale, what are you doing? I demand you leave with the rest of the court," her father ordered loudly.
"You do not command me, father. Albin Sheeran, I, Dale Sheeran Lord Paramount of The Westerlands hereby order your arrest, so that you may be tried in the court of your liege lord."

Dale's guards drew their swords while several others were just arriving to the hall. Some of her father's men drew their weapons while others hesitated. Ser Selmond was among the men who drew their weapons but he was carefully watching a certain one of Dale's guards, the one with the gold lined armour.

"My lord?!" Ser Selmond yelled.
"Stand down, Ser Selmond, there must be no violence!" Dale said loudly.
"You'd best put that sword away, we already know what's going to happen," the guard in gold lined armour told Ser Selmond.
"Father, if you want a trial, we will have one, but you must come quietly."
"Stand down, men. I wanted a trial, I'll get it, I will show everyone here that I am innocent!"

Ellyn was amazed at what was happening, Dale was arresting his own father. She wondered how the trial would go, or if there was going to be a trial. The people stood silent, not believing what had just unfolded right before their eyes. It was surely a strange time, to have a boy barely twelve order the arrest of his own flesh and blood in his own home.

Payne Hall
Dale Sheeran

Dale and a number of his guards were escorting his father to Payne Hall, to meet with Lord Robert Payne. He had his father ride in a carriage, convincing him that it was prisoner transport. Surprisingly, Ellyn had asked to come with him, she was a welcome companion on the ride to Payne Hall. He had hastily sent a raven ahead of him to inform Robert Payne of the circumstances, there was going to be no real trial, but his father needed to believe he was getting one.

The castle was in sight and Dale prepared himself on what was to come.

"Would Robert Payne help us?" Ellyn asked.
"Of course he will help, I am his lord," Dale answered.
"What if he sends us away? This isn't exactly normal."
"He would not refuse me, with a Sheeran above and below him, he will want to stay in our good graces."
"You're very wise."
"And you are too, Ellyn."

The dwarf blushed, it was the second time he had seen her do that.

"I don't know about that."
"You are, I am father's heir, but I do not intend to rule from Riverspring."
"What are you saying?"

Dale smiled.

"I've only known you for a year now but in that year, you've shown yourself to be capable. Joanna is a pampered princess while Jorelle is still too young, you and I both know what Melara is. In my mind, you're the only one that is right for rule, you also have the legal authority being the oldest child."
"You're giving me Riverspring and Brent Brook?"
"When father dies, I will grant you the lands."

Ellyn almost stopped her horse.

"Father ignored me all these years, I never thought I was getting anything."
"He does not like you because you remind him of mother too much."
"You really think so?"
"Father hates mother more than anything in this world, you are her image and a daughter when he asked for a son."
"And all these years I thought he just didn't like me because I was a dwarf."
"There will always be people who dislike you because you are a dwarf. It may not have been the way you wanted, but he saw through your dwarfism, only to hate you because you took after mother."
"I preferred it when he just didn't like me because I was a dwarf."

The two laughed but soon a look of sadness came upon Ellyn's face.

"What's wrong?"
"Father will take his hatred for mother all the way to the grave, that means he'll never love me like a daughter."
"Hmm, you're right, I know father enough to know he will never forgive mother, which in turns mean he will not like you."
"I don't want to talk about this anymore, it makes me sad."
"As you wish, but if you ever want to speak again, let me know."
"Thank you, Dale."

The procession finally arrived outside the keep of Payne Hall where Robert Payne was waiting. He looked unsure of what was going on, Dale wondered if he even received his raven.

"My lord! I welcome you to Payne Hall!" Robert Payne greeted enthusiastically.
"Lord Payne, I hope you got my raven," Dale said.
"I did indeed, my lord. Although, I'm still quite unsure why you're here. Oh, and allow me to greet the young lady."
"Greetings, Lord Payne," Ellyn greeted.
"I must warn you, my lady. The last time a woman dwarf came here, it didn't go so well," Robert Payne joked.
"I'll keep that in mind," Ellyn replied.
"Lord Payne, have you made any preparations?"
"I did what I could, my lord, I must say this is rather unorthodox."
"It's for the good of Riverspring, I will remember your service in the years to come."
"That's good enough for me, come into the hall, everything's as ready as it can be."
"We'll be right there, Lord Payne."

Robert Payne went into the keep as Dale let his father out of the carriage, his hands were clasped together with chains, another prop to convince him this was a real trial. Dale and the rest of the procession entered the hall where a few pews were arranged like seats to a theatre. There were people Dale did not recognize sitting in the pews, they were most likely guards and servants Robert Payne had play the roles of witnesses.

The Lord of Payne Hall settled himself on his seat which was elevated from the floor. Dale looked over to his father, he looked nervous which was good as it meant he was falling for the ruse. His father stayed where he was while Dale, Ellyn, and his guards sat down in the pews. Robert Payne stood up from his seat and stared at Dale's father.

"Lord Albin Sheeran, I call you to stand trial before your liege lord," he demanded.

0ZuSea1.png

His father stepped forward, looking around in every direction.

"Please, my lord! I'm innocent! I am not a murderer! The feast, remember when my bitch wife came here?!" he pleaded.
"Calm yourself, what say you in your defence?"
"I was manipulated by Lelia Lannister! She was a greedy whore who could not be satisfied no matter what was given to her! She told me to kill Tymos Lannister, she threatened to drink moon tea! It was her! It was all her!"

Robert Payne rolled his eyes.

"And what evidence is there against Lord Sheeran?"

The random people in the pews looked to each other while Dale's father once again looked all around him.

"Where's the Justiciar?" Dale's father asked.
"Is there no evidence against Lord Sheeran?" Robert Payne asked.
"Of course! My bitch wife is in my dungeons! There's no way she can provide evidence against me!"

He laughed with glee and almost danced around. Dale grunted loudly and stared at Robert Payne who looked back at him. His father practically admitted to the crime, but he could not be convicted. Dale could only hope his father did not realize what he had just said.

"If there is no evidence against Lord Sheeran, than I have no choice but to declare him innocent."
"Thank you, my lord! I knew there was still justice in this world!" his father screamed.

Dale's father was too busy celebrating to notice Robert Payne shrug as he locked eyes with Dale. The young lord rested his face in his palm and shook his head.

"This is humiliating," Dale said.
"I think it was really brave and smart for you to do this," Ellyn reassured.
"Word will spread of what happened, I can only hope the tide that comes in response is light."
"Well, if there are any problems, you have the support of the future Lady of Riverspring and Brent Brook."

Dale smiled at the comment. Ellyn's presence had made the trip more bearable for him, and every conversation he had with her further reinforced his decision to make her the heir to Riverspring and Brent Brook. With this trip, he had settled two problems at once, his father's demand for a trial and the question of succession. Dale watched his father jump around and celebrate, he actually for a second considered joining him.