• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fb-fb:

Now what is the queen up to? I am getting a bad feeling about this.
You are likely not the only one because she is definitely up to something. ;)

So she tired of the son who went his own way. How...surprising.
Indeed she did, or appears to. I've been setting it up for a bit now that she is no great fan of Maud and her influence over Prince Arthur, and then the King starts showering castles and commands on him. Her control is slipping and Aveline never likes that.

For much as I like to pick on Arthur senior, one has to remember that Aveline is not blameless
Thank you! I've argued it before and say it again! :p:D

For all his faults, Aveline has just as many if not more than Arthur. She has done very little in this story but plot and plan and now is just another chance for it. Let's see where this goes.

To all - I admit that I hesitated to bring in that trait of Berchte at all in the story. Generally it is not at all useful most times and only color, such as for Gerald in Anjou. There I use it as a signifier to recognize him amongst the other great Lords. I don't dwell on it and might be able to do more with it if I could find the right and respectful way for the character and the times. Yet I did highlight it here because it fit too perfectly. I doubt very much that Berchte was the first or last Princess/Lady/Queen/whatever that was homosexual in the medieval world. This Princess just got caught by a scheming Aveline. That was her unlucky break. It works to the advantage of the Queen and none to her, but I hope that I gave Berchte enough to prove her character in this short snippet.

There are two more scenes that will round out this chapter and when I said hold onto your seats...I meant it. :D I may get the next scene up tomorrow but more likely it will be on Monday given Mother's Day here in the states and the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones tmrw night. Either way, I hope that you will stay glued because what comes next was one of the major reasons I decided to tell this tale. Thank you for reading and commenting thus far and I hope you will continue to do so as we move along. Much more to go and all of it...fascinating, to me at least. :)

Good teaser! Just like the Queen with Berchte there at the end ;) This little arc will end in fireworks, it seems! All the girl can do is hope to outlive her scheming mother-in-law (past and about to be again). And we discover one source for her sadness then another for her reluctance.

Will have the seatbelt ready to fasten, stow the tray table and footrest and prepare for take-off! :D

Good teaser! Just like the Queen with Berchte there at the end ;) This little arc will end in fireworks, it seems! All the girl can do is hope to outlive her scheming mother-in-law (past and about to be again). And we discover one source for her sadness then another for her reluctance.

Will have the seatbelt ready to fasten, stow the tray table and footrest and prepare for take-off! :D
I feel for poor Berchte here as she seems to have a long list of disappointments in her short life. Her first husband dies shortly after their marriage and then her mother...stranded in a strange land and with her secrets. Then for it to be found out just before her next marriage. She is a rather sad figure that I don't have much time to explore because of other, more important characters in the story. Ultimately, she is but a piece of the plan rather than an actual player, but I hope I gave her enough in the above scene.

And to all - Looks like I will have a little time this morning to put up the next scene. As a slight forewarning, you may notice that the final screenshot does not quite match what is discussed above it, but there is reason for that. I used the event as a launching point and then went in a slightly different direction so that it would make better sense. I promise to discuss it after comments come in.

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle - January 1318

The marriage of the youngest Prince of England had been a grand affair and after, King Arthur decided to make progress to his realm in France and introduce the new couple to his great Lords of that land. It had been some time since he had been there and it was needed to get to know these new younger Lords of Berry, Bourbon and Burgundy. A Christmas court was held with all in attendance, including Prince Arthur and his wife Lady Maud with their children who had since returned to Lincoln and the castle at Bardney. Yet the highlight of the season was seeing the eldest daughter of King Ælfstan II – Countess Adela of Nevers and Macon.

Arthur did not know his eldest sister very well. The issue of his father and King Ælfstan’s first wife, Adela’s mother Countess Almodis had died in childbirth and the girl had grown and been raised as Countess in her own right from nearly her very first day. She was now sixty and two and wise beyond that. Her life had been spent fighting back against the men that surrounded her, namely the Dukes of Burgundy that were her overlords. Every time, she had bested them when they tried to take from her that which was owed. Hugues of Burgundy had failed. So had Payen after him and it cost him his life. There remained no great love between Adela and the current Duke of Burgundy, Hugues V. He was thirty one and showed not the acumen of his father and grandfather, but that did not stop him from pushing. Countess Adela was also known as the Princess of France and with that knowledge, she pushed back.

Great feasts had been held throughout the season and into the new year and at the King’s request, Adela stayed on for a fortnight more. As was his want, the two would stay up late into the night as they got to know one another and even if well over ten years his senior, Arthur already grew to appreciate his eldest sister. She held wisdom and in many ways, reminded him of their father even if she took more from her own mother in looks. This night was no different as they sat by a roaring fire in the great hall after all else had retired and Adela chatted on about her most recent struggles.

“It is good that you finally met Hugues of Burgundy in person, brother,” she said as she smiled to the King, “You will find in him a different sort than his father...but a trouble still.”

King Arthur toasted his feet as he sprawled out in his chair, “He was at least amiable this eve. Well done you for not provoking him.”

“Me provoke him?” she laughed, “I think that would be the other way around, monsieur. The Lords of Burgundy never let me forget that I am but a Countess and vassal to them.”

“And yet a Princess all the same,” Arthur grinned as he looked to her, “Father would be proud of you.”

Adela moved to sit next to him, “I think that our father would be proud of you, mon petit frère. What you have done with his memory...my success is as much yours as it is his.”

The King showed a sad eye, “I am sorry that I have been unable to come to your aid, dear sister.”

“Worry not on that,” Adela smiled to him, “Our House supports...as does the Lord from Bourbon.”

She instantly regretted saying it as Arthur turned with true question, “How do you find this Baudouin of Bourbon?”

With some thought, she finally answered, “He is...not his father either. A most capable man...yet not your Lord Amedee.”

“Do you mean that he is disloyal?” the King asked with concern.

“There are many Lords of France, mon frère, and he is but one,” she answered, “Fortune takes us many places and I think him to choose his own path rather than the one his father chose for him...as we all do.”

Arthur considered it and gave nod, “At least he is a help to you.”

“I think him to wish more of a foil to Hugues in Burgundy than to come with aid to me...” Adela replied, “...but yes. And though he does not help, Godefroy in Berry is far different from his father as well.”

“It seems a never ending cycle,” Arthur suggested as he looked back to the fire, “Once I moved back to the elective...I knew. I would have to find way to please these Lords so that they may choose my son. It was much easier when I could hold a thumb to Ancel of Berry or Payen in Burgundy...”

“And you always held Lord Amedee’s trust,” she followed.

Arthur gave another wistful nod, “And now they are all gone. I must begin anew.”

“In many ways, Arthur...” she looked to him with care, “...we all do. Look to sister Jeanne. Her husband Viktor finally finds himself free and in service to the Lords of Lorraine as Marshal. Quite a step down from Emperor.”

“He did not deserve it at any rate,” the King showed distaste at the mention of the Empire, “And she was happy enough...last I spoke with her.”

Adela leaned closer, “And you? Are you happy, Arthur?”

“Of course,” he answered quickly, “I remain to my goals...have seen my son married and well in hand with the Scottish Lady...and Eadgar marries too.”

“Yet...” Adela tried to take care with her question, “...what of your wife?”

Arthur turned to her with a skewed brow, “Ava? What of her?”

“Think me not to press, mon frère...” she continued, “...but I do know of your own struggle. It has never been easy for you. First Arnold...then father. A wife that seemed to love you not and then her...circumstance. Do you trust her?”

“I fear that I must,” Arthur looked back to the fire, “I do not have much choice. I’ve fine counselors, but she...she has done much even with her meddling.”

Adela looked to him for a time before asking, “I wonder...what is your true goal, Arthur? Do you wish to hold England alone...England with France?”

“I hold them both at the now,” King Arthur looked to her with question, “I plan on keeping it that way.”

“And in the future?” she asked again.

Arthur pursed his brow, “My son Arthur will hold them after me...as well as more. I am not yet done.”

“What of your youngest son?” Adela questioned, “What plans do you have for him?”

“I’ve seen him matched with Castile,” he answered, “If things work true, he may have a Kingdom of his own.”

Adela hesitated and then stood. She moved to the fire and then turned with a very serious face, “He may have one more than that, Arthur.”

“What?!” Arthur asked with some shock.

“I did not wish to speak this...” Adela turned to the flames as she spoke, “...but my time to Melun has found some few words that comes as a disturbance. You should check with your master of spies or your Lord Chancellor...but your wife...she is...making a play.”

Arthur stood with purpose, “What do you mean?! Ava? What does she do?!”

“Does your son Prince Arthur grow to disfavor with her?” Adela kept her eyes to the fire.

“I think not,” the King answered and then considered, “Mayhap the other way round.”

Adela gave nod as she finally turned, “Then that might be it.”

“What do you say to me, sister?”

“Arthur...” Adela showed a pained face, “...I fear that your wife plots against you. You asked of Baudouin of Bourbon...I spend much time with him as we discuss the Lord of Burgundy. He drinks, this Baudouin. It is told to me...by him...that your wife has sent out some word to these Lords of France. She wonders if they would consider your Eadgar as heir.”

Arthur was at a loss for words at first. He could not believe it. Why would Ava do such a thing? And did she find success, “Do they listen to her?”

“Baudouin was in his cups,” Adela answered with sureness, “He merely mentioned that her men had been in touch with his. I was shocked when I heard it and told him so...yet...it is out there, monsieur. Whatever the cause...whatever is her grievance...she leaves one son in favor of another. She leaves you in favor of…”

“Why did you not tell me of this earlier?” Arthur asked his sister as his heart began to race.

Adela was certain in her response, “I could not believe it. I know that there is trouble between the two of you, but I did not think that it would come to this.”

King Arthur stayed stock still as he looked on with wide eyes and then said with a low voice, “I...will...kill her!”

“Brother!” Adela moved to him, “She is your wife! She is the Queen!”

“And I am her husband!” Arthur moved away from his sister and looked into the flames, “Over twenty years of marriage and she thwarts me still. Every step of the way...it was to be hers and never mine. I punish her and she returns stronger than before. I cannot...must not let this continue!”

“I did not think England made plots as we do here in France,” Adela suggested.

With no smile, the King gave answer, “Plots are plots and they serve anywhere a hardened heart exists. I happened to marry one of them. If the thought is out there...then so too will be my remedy.”

“I am sorry to have told you,” Adela looked on with worry to her face.

Arthur kept a fierce brow, “No. It is good that you did. I will have to convince my son, but...her days will be at an end. I will not have it!”

“Be careful, Arthur,” Adela admonished.

He turned to his sister with a stern eye learned from his mother, and not hers, “I will take a care in how it is done. Yet never again! I give her freedom and she pulls the rope to herself. This time? She hangs herself with it!”

“Mon frère...” Adela tried to remind him, “...she is a Queen.”

Arthur kept a harsh gaze, “And I am the King! Before I am done...she will know that as true!”

I find it especially amusing that Arthur is portrayed as the innocent party here given the game event :D

Arthur is always showing once again he is no better - he really can't complain about someone plotting. And once again, if he actually formed a partnership with his wife ... but that ship sailed twenty or more years ago.

That...is quite the betrayal.

Fb-fb:

I find it especially amusing that Arthur is portrayed as the innocent party here given the game event :D

Arthur is always showing once again he is no better - he really can't complain about someone plotting. And once again, if he actually formed a partnership with his wife ... but that ship sailed twenty or more years ago.
You, more than most, would find that amusing. And rightly so (even though you know a bit more about it than most - yes, I discuss the plot at times with @stnylan as always. :p )

See below, but there is reason why I moved in this direction. I admitted the screen did not quite match the scene exactly. ;)

What would House of wessex be without some plotting? And par for the course they don't work out as planned.
True and true! And this, more than most, is what led to the events that happen next. That said...we now know the plot, but we don't know if it works or not. :D We just know that Arthur knows. ;)

That...is quite the betrayal.
Yes it is. See below for more, but I needed to find something pretty harsh here but within reason. Thus the last few hints in scenes. :)

To all - So as I say...the screen does not quite match the scene but it is close enough. In game at this time, Aveline decided to work on a claim for the throne of England itself. For whom, I do not know as I did not write it down in my notes, nor do I have a screen from the period that would tell me. All I know is this from my notes..."Queen still hates me! Kill her!"

She had tried to fabricate a claim on England and that plot was apparently put away quickly enough. Not enough for me as I had seen her do it time and time again and so I acted. I'm not going to tell you how it comes out, but you might imagine. I began a plot myself to kill her and then it was found out due to Duke Baudouin's big bloody mouth. When I reached this point in the writing, I decided to lean away from the plot element and go another direction. Take the event...use it...and then create your own narrative. That is the beauty of these games. I think it works on a number of levels (or at least I hope that it does) but you will need to wait for the next scene to see and judge.

Yes...King Arthur tried to have his wife killed. That, in and of itself, was interesting enough to write about. How does it work out? That is where we go from here. :D

Haha, I’m surprised it took that long! Both in game terms (she has been on very thin ice ever since that excommunication), but also in playing with fire with the House of Wessex! Does she not know of their dark history? :eek: They are worse than she is. :p A pity the plot was blown - interested to see what comes next.

Haha, I’m surprised it took that long! Both in game terms (she has been on very thin ice ever since that excommunication), but also in playing with fire with the House of Wessex! Does she not know of their dark history? :eek: They are worse than she is. :p A pity the plot was blown - interested to see what comes next.
Aveline might have played better with previous versions of this House. Now? Years of history and good relations between Kings and Queens...she was an outlier. Father and son is one thing that seems to move throughout, but man and wife? Unlikely or not for this time period, that is what the game gave to me until this. Thus...I acted. (And good on you for remembering her many episodes.)

I don't do this often, but I am going to post the next scene the day after. Time to end this chapter and so much comes as a result. Really looking forward to the response. :)

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle - March 1318

She had been no more than a daughter of an Earl when she first found her match. Yet it was to a Prince even if he was a younger one and never expected to take the throne. And then? Everything changed. When before she had all the comforts in life to look forward to even with a too spirited and sometimes moody Prince, now she had so much more. Soon to finally marry a man younger than she, but then made a Duchess alongside him. Then a child, a daughter first. Then another...a son, finally. All the while, the relationship between this Earl’s daughter and the Prince...it festered...it grew distrustful...and then it finally broke. Even when more children came, there was no love between them. Not uncommon for many a noble marriage, but it was for this family.

Years she had spent in forced seclusion after a truly well planned effort. He should have believed in her. Believed in her goal for the future of their son. It had worked, after all. Was not her son now married to the very heir of Scotland? Did they not now have a son that was to be the King after her in his own right? Her own sigh was an answer. She was fifty and three. Her hair had gone white and her skin wrinkled. Her beauty was long over and she had aged more in these past two months than she had in the last ten years. And yet, she could not blame herself. She blamed him.

A deft play by the King to woo their son away from her. She had to admit that. Give her the freedom that she desired only to take away the one thing that was her all...her everything. And the boy had followed. Willingly...eagerly...too fascinated by shiny new toys just like when he was young. She was the one that had given him his Princess! She was the one that made it so that he would be the next King of Scotland! But all it took was a castle and a command...and his father’s respect. Bloody men! Fools! All of them!

Yet Aveline was never without another plan. And this one had backfired on her badly. As she sat alone in her locked chamber, she wondered if she had lost a step. The priest would be to her soon, but he was no answer. He could not say. Only Arthur...and he had already spoken his peace. From the moment he found out, he never let her forget her crime in his eyes and he was determined to punish her. There were no words that she might say for they had already been spoken in years past and the marriage was already over many years ago.

They had come for her at night. When she least expected it, the knock to her chamber door was hard and when they opened it, Queen Aveline was shocked. In her bed clothes, she stood from the bed forgetting any etiquette as they had done to her and began to scream at them. The soldiers did not care. They held orders from the King. She was to be arrested and they pulled her from her chamber without any dignity deserved by a Queen.

Was it to be The Tower? No. King Arthur planned to end this here and now and to France they stayed. She was placed to a new prison and their son, Prince Arthur was recalled from Bardney. At first the Prince could not believe it but as his father continued, it was clear what his mother had tried to do. Go to French Lords and convince them that Eadgar was a better item than Arthur? For as much as the Prince loved his mother...she had stepped too far. And still...the King was showing no mercy.

That had not stopped King Arthur from making this as transparent and legal as it could possibly be. Every great Lord had been called to Melun to hear the case. Aveline was a Duchess in her own right after being granted the Duchy of Lancaster to gift to her son upon her death. That made her a great Lord and they deserved a hearing in front of them due to their station and hers. Yet she was also a crowned Queen and here is where King Arthur made certain...the true judges would be ecclesiastical as well as great Lords. York, Gloucester, Orleans and Anjou as well as the Archbishops of Canterbury, Rouen and Paris. From Wales and Scotland...Ireland, England and France they came. Seven in all sat in judgment as her charges were listed in front of every single one. And Arthur himself sat at their head.

Earl Randolph of Gwent served as her prosecutor and the Queen was marched into the hall and made to listen as he recited to them all of her crimes.

“My great ecclesiastical Lords...my great Lords of the realm...I speak to you of a most heinous act...that of a wife against her lawful husband. And then the most heinous act! That of a mother against her own child! This raised Lady that sits before you now has found plots in her life that would rival Livia of Rome in both treachery and treason. I put it to you that she has plotted murder...”

That one was true enough though it was slightly humorous to her that the exact murder was not explained.

“...and that she has rejoiced in the death of others!”

Also true, though how many of them had not?

“She commits crimes against God and man alike and sins like Eve in the Garden...”

Now where was he going with this?

“...as she lay with other men that are not her husband and our anointed King!”

True enough, that one, though the King had found his own playmates.

“A Lady so vile as that, she does not cease. She puts away Holy Church so that she might continue to sin...”

Now that she had never done! She was no great Christian, but at least her own mother was no heretic. Nor was her father!

“...and then causes Christ Jesus to weep as He did on the cross as she forsakes her husband...our anointed King...and her true born son, our heir!”

The heart of it...her real crime.

“Here is a Lady...a Queen no less...that would seek to act in treason against both King and Prince and plot against her own family. Many witnesses have said here that men of her employ had come to them with an idea…”

Yes...she had done that.

“...of placing the younger Prince of our King forward as the next heir to France. This Lady was not yet done! More have come forward to say that her plot was more vicious...more sinful than any yet heard. To see her youngest as heir to it all, my Lords!”

Aveline had finally rolled her eyes at this latest slander as it was the worst yet and this likely did her no favors.

“This Queen...” Randolph had nearly spit the word, “...looked to plot the death of her own husband and that of her eldest son to see her youngest son put forward as our next King!”

The sound of the charges made it look bad. The tenor in the room made it look worse as many harsh boos came forth. Throughout it all, she had stolen looks to King Arthur as he watched with a steely eye. It was only then that she glanced a look to her two sons. Prince Eadgar could not face her and she understood. After all, it was he that was the center of all of this. Yet Prince Arthur? He had never wavered his eye. Not once. His look seem to bore a hole in her head and next to him was his wife, the Lady of Scotland herself. She remembered now why she had started it all in the first place.

“Your Grace!” came the booming voice of the Archbishop of Canterbury and it had pulled Aveline from her thoughts, “It is asked...how do you plead?”

The Queen had been harangued, challenged, put down and drawn through the mud. She knew her crime. That of loving her children not enough and herself perhaps too much. Never her husband and only herself. Yet she remained the Queen of England, France and Wales. Holding her head high, she had refused to answer.

“My Lady Queen,” Earl Randolph had stepped forward, “Many crimes have been put to you. His Grace has asked...it is asked...how you plead?!”

She smiled as she remembered her response to Arthur...“Does it matter?”

A great commotion had occurred after that and it was all the Archbishop could do to hold fast the court. The King himself had stood and stared at her with a hard eye and she merely smiled back to him. He, in turn, gave nod, “In as much as you refuse to speak on your behalf, then your silence denotes your agreement with the charges. Qui tacet consentire videtur.”

A tense silence took over the hall as they leaned to each other with great Lords and Archbishops speaking to each other and then the King. The whispers lasted only a short while and then the King stood once more, “It is our consideration that we do find you guilty on all counts and by the laws of our realm, we do hereby sentence you.”

It was then that the Prince stood in the hall and moved to hold close words with his father. All had gasped as King Arthur held up a hand while he spoke quietly with his son and then Arthur stepped forward with a harsh eye to his face, “In a fortnight hence, you are to be taken from this place and put to the square at Melun. There your life will be forfeit. In deference to your rank...and for the love that we once did share...your head will be separated from your shoulders by a blade of the crown. May God have mercy upon your soul!”

Never had her husband spoken so cruelly to her. Not when he took their children from her. Not when he locked her away. This was final...complete. Even then, her steely reserve had not faltered in front of the court yet inside, her heart sank. There was always another plan. What could it be this time?

And then two weeks passed by without a visit from her husband nor her youngest children. The night before, Prince Arthur had been given privilege to see her one last time. She recalled the rattling of keys as the door to her chamber was opened and the look upon her eldest son’s face as he entered. The Prince was ashen and it appeared that he had found some tears to his eyes.

“My Lady...” he had stated as he entered and that’s when Aveline’s will began to falter.

“Not maman?” she had asked him.

Prince Arthur had looked to her with a pained eye, “You did bring me into this world...and then sought to pull me out of it.”

“I never did, Arthur,” she tried to explain, “That was a lie.”

“Many lies have been told, my Lady...” the Prince had answered her, “...and many harmed by their malicious intent. Father...myself...you.”

She had tried once more her plea, “I did never lie to you, Arthur!”

“You would hold your explanation save for one answer...why?”

A last chance. One last play. If there were one thing she might do to save herself, here was her savior, “I have always done everything I have for your favor. My life has been spent in your service!”

The Prince had resisted her teary response and held her away, “You do not answer.”

“You were mine, Arthur...” Aveline had begun to weep heavily, “...never his! Five children but only one that mattered! And then he took you from me!”

“Father never took...maman,” the Prince felt a sting to his eye, “He gave.”

With a quick change in emotion, the Queen became angered and shouted, “He gave you nothing! It was I! I was the one that brought you your Scottish Princess! It was I that brought you the chance for the future...your future and that of your son! Do you not understand?!”

“Even now, you continue to lie?” the Prince had shown an astonishment.

Here it was. Her last true play. As King Arthur had stated, her life was forfeit. There was nothing left to live for as she saw the blank look upon her son’s face. He could not save her. Would not. Yet if she was to go from this world...then she would leave the King one last parting gift, “It is no lie and your father knows it well, my son...”

The Prince had watched her last teary confession with horror encroaching upon his face, “...Your revered wife and her place? Bought and paid for. Your father’s esteemed ally? An unwitting accomplice to the murder of his own mother and his own son. All in the knowledge of my husband...your father. Your Maud’s chance improved considerably due to my actions and all it took was a letter and some gold. Do you think the Queen of Scotland died by accident? Do you think the death of Radulf’s Prince a freak occurrence? Then you have not been paying attention!”

The Prince had been found speechless and it was only some solace to Aveline as he began to put the pieces into place. She would have her last victory here and whatever came after...that was for God to decide. No longer would she be at the whim of a King. Now, in the morning light, she remembered how the Prince had left her. Not a kiss to her cheek. Not a loving farewell. He had backed from her chamber without word or even a nod. A heavy price to pay for victory.

Then the priest came and her ladies. Dressed and prepared, she walked slowly to the square at Melun and was marched through a crowd of attendant guests made up of clergy and Lords from all areas of the realm. Many of the castle’s staff were there to witness it but there was no blood lust as was often seen. The Square was eerily silent. King Arthur stood on the hastily built platform and next to him a masked executioner with a great and shiny sword, the hilt of it rested to his thigh. She climbed the short stairs and was then turned to look upon the crowd.

“Would you finally wish to have a last word?” the King asked.

“I already have,” she said in a whisper and then turned to the rest, “Today I go before my maker...an innocent as I was on the day that I was born. I have been judged by mortal men but they are not the ultimate judge. Only God!”

Looking around, she saw the Lords of Gloucester...Norfolk...the aged Lady of Orleans...the younger French Lords...and not her children. Not a one of them in the crowd. She looked up to a window high above the square and thought she saw a face...not Arthur...not Eadgar...was it? Yes...a girl. Her Eleanor? With a sigh, she held her head high as she looked out again to finish her final statement, “I married a King. I have born a King. And I will die as a Queen...of England...of Wales...of France. Mark my actions if needs must...yet I have done my fill and God alone will do the accounting of it!”

With that, she turned to the masked executioner and handed him a purse and then her one lone Lady moved to help her with her dress as the top was removed to reveal a stark red shift underneath. There was no collar and Aveline was graceful as she stooped and then knelt to the ground. She took a deep breath and then placed her head upon the block, turning only slightly so that she might gain one last look to her husband, the King. That eye. That stern eye that Arthur had learned from his mother. There it was again. The last thing that she would see as she closed her eyes. One more deep breath…

...that she would never exhale.

“You had everything, Arthur...” the King said to him, “...everything that you wanted.”

“Not what I wanted...everything but her,” the old man said to no one.

The King said it again, “Everything, my son. It was a good match. And look what it brought you.”

“It brought me nothing!”

Ælfstan stood over his bed and whispered, “It found you five good children if no thing else.”

The old man struggled in his sleep as he whispered in return, “And look what happened to them.”

End of Chapter 6

That is quite a send-off

I especially like the taking a deep breath - a very poignant way of writing it up.

I wonder what effect her words will have on her son. And, for that matter, on the King. By seeing her thus killed has Arthur enabled her to have a last, mocking word? The dead harry hard.

"...and look what happened to them." Yes, I imagine the life of king Arthur will be filled with sorrow for the rest of his days. Bravo, sir; even though I know not what will happen, I felt a lump in my chest as I read that. Touched, as one can only be of great litterature. Bravo!

Fb-fb:

That is quite a send-off

I especially like the taking a deep breath - a very poignant way of writing it up.

I wonder what effect her words will have on her son. And, for that matter, on the King. By seeing her thus killed has Arthur enabled her to have a last, mocking word? The dead harry hard.
I thought that Aveline deserved it for all she has become in the work. Especially pleased that the last line worked as it was in the back of my mind from the time I started thinking of how to write this one up. As for how this effects Jr, you may imagine it will have some repercussions. It may take a little longer than expected, but that is now in the back of Jr.' s mind.

Well done scene.

The queen still scheming at the end, trying to drive a wedge between father and son for spite's sake with no care what could happen to the kingdom as a result.
Thank you. And I thought it entirely in her character that she would plan until the very end. That last spiteful action, in some ways, proves that she won in the end even if she lost her life.

...didn't Mary Queen of Scots whip off her clothes to reveal red undergarments at her execution?
In fact, it is told that she did. There was no particular reason I included that tidbit other than I recall it well (Plantagenet/Tudor history is rather my strong point) and both were plotters up until the very end which likely did neither of them very much good. Aveline's life was not so disappointingly sad as Mary Queen of Scots, but that last act of defiance seemd like it would fit for this Queen as much as that one.

"...and look what happened to them." Yes, I imagine the life of king Arthur will be filled with sorrow for the rest of his days. Bravo, sir; even though I know not what will happen, I felt a lump in my chest as I read that. Touched, as one can only be of great litterature. Bravo!
A very kind word, sir. The phrase is quite loaded but it will be some time before it makes full sense. Something to look forward to, I suppose. ;)

To all - So you now see how I had planned this past chapter and hopefully the various clues add up now that we are finished with this particular plot. I should explain more fully - when I mentioned before the screen not quite matching the scene it joined, it was because I decided to go this route instead. As mentioned, Aveline had begun to plot against Arthur once more and I had seen enough of it during the game. I had chance for a new plot and this one was suggested as I held cause. I had no idea it would work so quickly. However, as I have held back from making Arthur the prime mover in such plots, I did not feel it right to do so with this one, as much as they disliked each other. It made more sense to catch her and put her to trial (as much a show trial as any, of course) and then eventually find her guilty and execute her. The end result is the same, but how I got there is changed somewhat, and I think for the better.

Of course, it will have a lasting impact on the King as well as his children, especially Prince Arthur. Each time we see one of these events, I hope it makes those scenes set much later make much more sense. At the end here, I purposely did not date it. I'm not sure why other than an aesthetic look after such a powerful scene. I did not want that end part to be long and its clear who is involved even if the old man is not named.

As for the scene itself, I very much wanted the entire thing to read from Aveline's POV. I considered a full trial and the back and forth of it, but decided that there was really little point in it. In fact, I think it reads better with just her asides to herself and more true to her character to turn her nose up at the event and think she was better than they. Shades of Charles I, perhaps. I also considered a scene with just her and the King one on one but there too, there really was no need for it. It was a done deal and would have just rehashed things said before. However, it did need the part between her and her son as that will very much matter going forward. And of course, the final portion...I wanted to be in her head the moment the blade was swung. For as much trouble as the Queen has caused in this story (as well as for all the good that goes unrewarded) I felt she deserved a proper send off. She will most definitely be missed as a character to write for even if the King does not necessarily miss her as wife. He may...soon enough. :p

Thanks for the comments and praise. I really do appreciate it as this scene was so important. I plan to post the first part of chapter 7 tmrw so it can sit one more day and let everyone catch up. :)

Sorry for hopping in late, but it’s been a busy few days and I wanted the time to do this justice. And as it happened, for the Queen to finally receive hers! Some Boleyn and Mary of the Scots flavour there, but in an original setting and with Aveline’s own story and perspective. A good dramatic choice and well executed, so to speak!

The last scene is very poignant too. Foreboding which will continue to be fleshed out as the years roll inexorably to the sad old man in that room. A relief for Ava to be gone but in a narrative and dramatic sense, I am sure there will be no winners from the whole affair.

Sorry for hopping in late, but it’s been a busy few days and I wanted the time to do this justice. And as it happened, for the Queen to finally receive hers! Some Boleyn and Mary of the Scots flavour there, but in an original setting and with Aveline’s own story and perspective. A good dramatic choice and well executed, so to speak!

The last scene is very poignant too. Foreboding which will continue to be fleshed out as the years roll inexorably to the sad old man in that room. A relief for Ava to be gone but in a narrative and dramatic sense, I am sure there will be no winners from the whole affair.
I indeed had Anne Boleyn in mind as well when I wrote that. RL history is such an excellent guide when fleshing out things like an execution of wife and Queen. :eek:

And as a housekeeping note to all - just thought I would raise a glass as 17 years ago today, I signed up to this forum. I'd already lurked for awhile but decided to bite the bullet because I had great plans to write an AAR about Dai Viet. That...didn't last. But now, some many thousand words later (millions?), I look back and thank God that I did. 21 AARs worked on in that time, and 12 of them completed. 4 of them could be considered novels and 1 a novella. And then there is this. Plus many a project for the forum over these years. AARland has surely kept my interest (and yes...I am so old that it was not even known as AARland when I first joined. :p )

I have met countless friends during this time, some of whom remain some of my very best friends to this day. I have read so many good and great works (and some...maybe not so great, but promising.) In short, I have relished nearly every single moment I have spent here over the years (minus those moderating years that remained enjoyable but stressful) and cannot stress enough what a wonderful place this is. Thank you Paradox for creating it and thank all of you for participating. That's why I keep coming back every single day for 17 years. :D

And now...Chapter 7. :)

Chapter 7

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – August 1351

“Shh!” she suggested in a wicked whisper, “You fret when you need not do so.”

“Why?”

“Only look to here,” the voice replied, “In their forties, thirties, twenties...look what we have made!”

The old man turned with anger in the bed, “They are all out and I am still in!”

“Yet they are with me, Arthur,” she stated with satisfaction, “You tried to take them away...and they now live with me and not you.”

“I wished better for you,” he suggested.

She smiled and bent to give him a kiss, “No. You did not. You got exactly what you wanted. So...how does it feel?”

“You...are a witch! You bewitch me now!”

“I don’t,” she smiled again, “Yet haunt you, I will. For the rest of your days.”

“She’s not wrong, lad,” the other voice called over her shoulder, “You’ve gained twice my lifetime, and twice my troubles.”

“Father!” Arthur called out, “Save me from her!”

“He can’t,” she whispered into his aged ear, “He’s long dead...just like me. You saw to it all. We all look...and we all wonder...how does it feel?”

The old man was struck from his dream in a sweat. He looked to the ceiling and tried to adjust his eyes. They were failing. Then a soft voice showered over him, “I think you not well, Majesty. You show a fever.”

“I...” Arthur looked to Letitia with a pained eye, “...am not well. I think to find my calling and it is unkind.”

She bent down and brushed his face, “You are fevered and I will call the physician. He will let some blood. You will be well.”

“Non, mon tendre...” he looked to her with frightened eyes, “...I think not.”

Bardney Castle – May 1318

“I was there,” Maud said with impatience, “I saw it!”

Prince Arthur stood in their new solar and showed a wide eye, “You need not tell me! She was my mother!”

“And liked me not!” Maud answered as she stood by the window, “Yet...she was a Queen. You could not witness it. Your brother and sister could not...but I did! Saw what happened to her...and what your father did!”

“Is this our first argument?” the Prince showed irritation, “Or our last...I hope?”

She turned with a hard eye, “Play the wounded son if you will...”

“I am wounded, Maud!” Arthur suggested with great sorrow, “Not only is my mother dead...her head...”

“Gone from her body, I know!” Maud looked away once more.

The Prince moved to her, “Yet to hear...to know...of what happened? I would not wish that upon your family! I love you!”

She turned with a pained eye, “It set us up, Arthur, I know! Yet this is my family! My brother...my grandmother. My father! Is this a match made from lies...deceit? In pain from start to finish? What am I to say to him?!”

The Prince moved to pull her into an embrace, “It’s a match made from love, my sweet dove. I cannot change what they have done as much as I might wish it. I care not for your throne. I care not that you gain it. I only wish you. Let them plot to their peril...”

“That is just it, Arthur,” Maud held firm in her body, “Your mother has died from plots...as have so many others. How can you not challenge your father in this?!”

Arthur looked to her with a pained face, “It was her...not him. I did not like it...but she proved her guilt.”

“Did she?!” Maud pulled away, “Did she truly?! I ask you again...what am I to say to my father? Yours gains from this. No longer a worry and more to that...gains his claim to Briefne in Ireland...”

Arthur stood tall in response, “It cost him much.”

“It cost you much!” Maud moved back to him and held to his arms, “Your mother is dead!”

The Prince looked deep into her eyes, “You need not remind me. I saw it too. And so you have lost and I have lost...and what is left? Us!”

“Do you not confront him?!” Maud asked with sure question, “Do you not gain his word on this?!”

“I don’t need to...” Arthur showed a harsher eye, “...and I don’t want to. I am pained...and so is he.”

“Truly?!” she asked with shock, “You think that your father the King is in pain at this?!”

Arthur showed a blank face as he answered, “Yes.”

The Scots Princess left him to look out the window once more and maintained a silence until she found words, “I...don’t want what your parents had, sir. And I cannot forgive your father for what he has done. Even in death, I will never forgive your mother. That is why I needed to see her die. I saw it for you, Arthur. For me...for my brother...for my grandmother. Yet what are we to do now?”

“I do not ask my father,” the Prince stepped closer, “For it is not for him to say. I only wish your thought. That is why I told you.”

“And you never should have!” Maud felt the tear stream down her face.

Prince Arthur moved to her and held to her back, “I felt that you should know. I could not keep it from you. It is we two and I agree...I do not wish my parent’s cause. We have our son and we have our daughter...we have our future, however it was made. Scotland and England...you and me.”

“It’s based on a bed of lies,” Maud teared up even more.

Arthur pulled a hand to brush her neck, “It is based on you...and me. That is all that we have left. I will not break from my father, even if I might wish it. I have a realm coming to me and so do you. The future is ours. Not his. Not hers. I am sad...but I still have you.”

She turned with a pained look to her eyes, “I must tell my father something.”

“No,” the Prince was quick to answer, “You do not. What worth would that do? You know it...I know it. Do you wish war between our Houses? Your House...my House? Our House?”

“Why do you not ask him?” Maud questioned with a plea in her eye.

The Prince was pained when he answered, “I...cannot. I loved my mother, but she did go against me...against us. That is all that matters to me. You! Father did what he must...”

“I love you as well, Arthur,” Maud replied with the same pain, “Yet I can never forgive him.”

“Nor can I,” the Prince answered quickly, “Yet I am his son. We are made Duke and Duchess of Lancaster and he has gifted us the county itself to make it whole. He tries to make amends, slim as they may be...and wishes not war with Scotland. Do you?”

She brushed a hand to his face, “He has enough already with his claim to Briefne. Fergus ‘the Bewitched’ will soon feel his pain, but I must tell my father.”

“Tell him what?” Arthur questioned.

Maud leaned in to kiss his cheek and then answered, “Not to join his cause.”

“That is...fair,” Arthur replied with a touching hand of his own, “I speak to you, my Lady...my Princess..my wife...it is just we two. Someday the world will be ours...with all of the shit and the grime...we will come out the other end. It is you and me. Scotland and England. My father will be gone. Your father will be gone. And we shall rule...and well!”

“You have a heady vision, husband,” Maud kept a loving hold to his face, “With your family and mine...we shall have to work on that.”

Arthur showed her a brief smile, “With your help...we shall.”

“I love you, Arthur,” Maud leaned in to kiss him once more, “I hope that your words ring true for I remained troubled.”

“My father is off to war,” the Prince answered.

She did not smile, “Again.”

“And he will win,” he replied.

“Again,” Maud answered quickly.

Arthur tried to smile, “And so it remains...just we two.”

“I hope you mean that, Arthur,” Maud kissed him once more with tender lips, “I truly do.”