• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a plan to remove this two-front problem I have. Soon, I think I will attempt to see if I can either drive France into civil disorder through a lengthy war and see if I can fell their government or perhaps outright annex them. The problem is that they like to build fortifications in their colonies, unlike the Spanish. I found a few great lakes colonies in my last badboy war but with fortresses being improved they are getting hard to take. Maybe when I get some of the decent leaders in the middle 1600's I can attempt this. Von Sparr and von Derrflinger aren't bad compared to what I have had which is pretty much nothing.

1606 (continued)

Alsace revolts and Colonel Wollweber is dispatched with his 40k army to crush them. With all these wars and territorial expansion, rebellion is the norm in Prussia. I guess it keeps the troops busy. Genoa is annexed by Spain. I see why they didn't join the last war against us. Another shipyard is ordered in Friedrichstadt (Chesapeake). Soon after, Lorraine revolts and the good Colonel is sent to smite them mightily. Neu Western Prussia (Cochin) is founded as is Neu Danzig (Kerala).

Blessed be the Lord! A new center of trade opens in Neu Western Prussia (Cochin) and this is our fifth within our borders. Another shipyard is ordered, this time in Wilhelmsburg (Dominica). We plan to build a couple more, one in Istria and one in the new Indian territories. I note that the value of trade in Cochin is valued at 1093D, the highest in the world even higher than Buru in the Indies. Merchants are sent and a monopoly is obtained. This area will have top priority for colonization as well so defenses can be built. The Teutonic Order declares independence from Russia and a state gift is sent. We hope the Order can hold back those Rus as I have no wish to have them on our border.

Joachim Friedrich dies but will be remembered for further expansion of Prussia. I had hoped he would live longer as he and I saw eye-to-eye on policy. It was not to be and Johann Sigismund now rules as Kaiser. The people of Baden don't take well to the new Kaiser and immediately rebel. Colonel Wollweber makes short work of them. We learn of a process to refine saltpeter (Naval Tech 17, Land Tech 14). Istria revolts and I personally pet this down.

Cologne is lost to rebel scum. This is no way to start a new year. We flood Buru's trade center with merchants and see our trade levels reach new highs Trading income is at 170 (.65) 112.4. Unfortunately, this new prosperity does nothing to end rebellion in the realm. Slazburg, Austria, Alsace all revolt and Austria was lost for a time to rebel scum. Our upswing in mercantile affairs led to a rush of merchants (event). We end the year with an advance that adds the army as we learn to build pistols a most useful item for our cavalry (Land tech 15).

Lorraine rebels yet again and is lost to rebel scum. Neu Western Prussia (Cochin) is a city and we immediately fortify the province. Presburg revolts and we hope Austrian nationalism dies down a bit. We end the year beginning to construct a shipyard in Istria.

Surprise, Austria revolts followed by Thuringen and then Austria revolts again. My army has killed hundreds of thousands of rebels at this point. We further improve our naval technology we the discovery of the 18 pounder (Naval tech 18). Istria revolts and luckily is not taken over by the rebels. Fearing forreign takeovers of our trade we pass protective measures to embargo all nations (event). France embargos us and war is planned for. We expand our navy in preparation for the upcoming conflict. Our goals in France will be Champagne, Nivernais and Manhattan but unfortunately Alsace revolts and we delay our war.

Neu Danzig (Kerala) becomes a city. Prussia is catapulted into a premier naval power as our navy is further expanded. Our spies tell us we have no weaknesses besides the diplomatic arena.

Refineries completed in Bohemia and Moravia. Baden and Styria revolt and Wollweber and I butcher more hapless peasants. Then Oldenberg and Ostmarch revolt.

Helvetia revolts and then our alliance expires. England joins us again but the Netherlands and Sweden decline. They form their own alliance. Eight armies are now in Grossdeutschland, not including colonial forces. The army stands at 302,104/122,679/1,055 and the navy has four fleets totaling 79 man-o-war and 2 transports. Neu Kustrin (Mobile) becomes a city.

Last edited:

Squadron formations are implemented into the army (Land tech 16).

Tax Income: 72 (1.25) 90.9 Goods Production: 99 (.50) 49.6
Trading Income: 144 (.69) 101.4 Gold Mines: 25.0 Total: 266.9 Inflation: 3%.

Long range fire techniques are developed for the navy and we learn to blockade enemy ports. We decide to test our expanded military. We declare war (England) against France (Modena, Papal States, Norway). Spain (Portugal, Naples) also declare against us. Denmark declares alone. Finland (Poland-Lithuania) declares also. Venice (Russia, Greece) declares. Iroquis (Savoy) declares. Netherlands (Sweden, Scotland) declares...on Spain! Milan falls early on Aug. 24th. Clampagne falls Sept. 9th. The Polish army is routed on Sept. 28th and the capital is besieged. Modena is besieged after Milan fell. I besiege Krakow and swiftly assault it and it falls Oct. 15th. We land troops on Gaudeloupe and torch it and we send a colonist to settle this island. Thuringen rebels but we have no time for this. Luxembourg is captured and that army marches to Hainaut. Venice is captured Nov. 11th and we do not make peace, wishing to take territory from them, namely Mantua. Sjaelland is taken from Denmark and they sue for white peace. We agree but this will be the last time. The next war will see them annexed as our navy is strong enough to take Gotland. Dec. 1st sees us develop light artillery (Land Tech 17). We besiege Livonia. Hainaut is taken Dec. 2nd. Nivernais also falls that day. Dec. 8th sees Mantua besieged. Modena is captured Dec. 28th and is annexed. Podlasia, Mazovia are assaulted Dec. 27th.

Ile de France is besieged Jan 2nd. Podlasia is captured the same day. Jan. 7th, Mazovia is captured. Ile de France falls March 25th. Guadeloupe is a new colony. We take Mantua April 11th. We take Mantua in a peace agreement with the Venetians. Wave of Obscurantism occurs (event). We take Shenandoah on May 8th. Poland-Lithuania offers Podlasia, Lithuania and Krakow for peace which we happily agree to. We have encircled their capital and this occurs May 11th. Emilia is taken on May 19th. We approach the Pope for peace for Emilia but he refuses. Tuscany declares war and we call for allies. Papal States ask for peace offering Emilia on May 30th. We agree.

Tuscarana is taken June 11th. Oswege falls July 13th. We accept peace with Spain when they offer Luzembourg and Hainaut. We plan to exchange Hainaut for Tyrol with the Dutch [I will edit this into the save file at some point, and it's a good enchange for both nations]. Mohawk is taken Aug 22nd. Helvetia has been taken by Savoy and we lose a battle in Alsace. Orleannais is taken on Sept. 2nd. France offers us Champagne, Nivernais and Manhattan and we gladly accept these terms. Irondekoit is taken on Sept. 16th and Onoondaga is taken Sept. 13th and we annex the Iroquis nation to Prussian America. Savoy is routed from Alsace and armies move to retake Helvetia.

The caracole is taught to our cavalry (Land tech 18). Luca is besieged Jan. 11th. We buy off Finland for 250D. Luca falls on July 6th. Savoy falls to siege Sept. 19th. On Oct. 23rd, Helvetia is recaptured. and Nice is besieged on Oct. 25th. Nice falls on Dec. 26th. I personally see to the annexation of this land.

Florence is captured on Jan 8th and we annex Tuscany. We are at peace again and with a much larger nation but this brings problems as well as Krakow, Nice, Podlasia and Luxembourg revolt.

These maps are from slightly later but no changes have occured.

ScreenSave9.JPG

ScreenSave10.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice. You do need to fix dutch tyrol there, that looks really strange. :D

IGC, if I'm not mistaken (which I'm not:p). You can play as any nation you want there.

You have to use the IGCConfig thing in your EU folder, from there you can customize all your options and such.

Yeah Morpheus, Dutch Tyrol was most annoying. I edited in the forementioned Hainaut for Tyrol switch. Unfortunately, EU lacks on the ceding and swapping of provinces. The purists might disagree and call it a cheat but I think both nations are better off with this exchange so it will stand. Besides, I could just obliterate the Dutch and simply take it and everything else.

As for the scenario, I am playing EU version 1.10 and IGC 2.3 with the latest AI (6 or 7, I forget). I did choose alot of options under IGC. Unified Prussia, Super Hanse, Free Norway, Free Finland, Balkanization (because I forgot to switch it to Byzantium, with CoT's in Moscow, Revel, and Astrakhan. T.O. got Ingermanland. I think that is it. Difficulty and aggressiveness was set at normal/normal I believe. Taxation is also at normal.

As for the somewhat cheaty leader I added, well actually, I replaced Casimir with, is currently a 3/3/4/1 or is it 3/4/3/1, I forget. I have been upgrading the leader as new Prussian leaders appear with higher ratings. So when Friedrich II arrives it will be 6/6/6/3. It's sort of a 'family learns from others and passes the knowledge down to the next generation. I am not sure how I will deal with a death. Likely, I will reduce the ratings by one until the next ruler takes over.

I think that's everything. :D

Heh, that's an interesting leader idea... ;)

I look forward to a quiet year. The wars have been exhausting on the Kaiser and myself and I decide to visit our overseas holdings. Horrible weather is all I can say about the Caribbean. The sailors say it is the worst hurricane season in ages and unfortunately our gold convoy was lost. I do keep in touch with Berlin and learn that the rebellions continue in several provinces.

I travel to our Indian holdings and find things not to my liking. I order the Indian Army increased fourfold. I have plans for the neighboring kingdoms and need an army of conquest, not some ragtag garrison. I receive news that Kaiser Johann Sigismund has died and naturally I relocate back to Europe to meet help Kaiser Georg Wilhelm rule the realm. Revolution is a horrible problem in Grossduetschland and we see rebels in Podlasia, Mantua, Hainaut, Florence and again Podlasia.

Krakow revolts. This is getting rediculous [and given the fact that nationalism is a much later disease, historically annoying]. Modena rebels and they storm the fortress and this gives me the opportunity to test our theories of circumvallation lines (Land Tech 19). Other news, I am forced to attend another election of the Holy Roman Empire. Felipe IV of Spain is elected but I don't see any reason for this foreigner to have any say in German affairs. I mean, "How many battalions and squadrons does he have in the Empire?"

A religious revolt in Western Prussia (event). Why they would rebel in the religious tolerant Kingdom of Prussia, I know not. We learn how to produce goods such as tobacco, cotton and cloth in large quantities (Infrastructure tech 6).

Commodore Kolster spends several months clearing the Caribbean of pirates. We see more revolts in Luca, Presburg and Krakow.

This year sees Genoa throw off the Spanish yoke and declare war on them. France (Papal States, Norway, Genoa) declare war on the Netherlands (Sweden, Scotland). As much as I don't wish war at this time, French aggression into the lowlands will NOT be tolerated! We declare war against the France and their alliance and are aided by England. Poland-Lithuania (Finland) declare war upon us, followed by Venice (Russia and Greece). Milan, Ile de France, Bourgogne and Lyonnais are all besieged and French armies are turned to powder. Sweden (Netherlands) declare war, we are crushed as we fought this war for them! Naples (Spain) and Portugal (Mysore) also declare war. England abandons us when Portugal declares. All this is followed by revolts in Presburg and Champagne. Things are beginning to look grim. Rome is besieged and then Milan is taken Nov. 15th. Ile de France falls Nov. 30th. We defeat the large Mysore army and start a siege.

Bourgogne is captured Jan. 30th followed by Rome Feb. 7th and we force the Pope from power. We send him packing to Spain where we hope he will cause strife with the Emperor. Livonia falls on Feb. 11th. Mazovia is captured soon after Feb. 15th. Romagna, a Neapolitan holding is taken April 29th. The war is going well, I think. Krakow revolts in early May. Lyonnaise falls May 30th with the Kaiser at the head of the troops! Unforunately, this war leads to a loss of trade and the nerchants are not pleased (event). Perhaps I will press them into the army as my grandfather once did. Magyar falls on Aug. 12th and Orleannaisthe day after. We learn to build ship that bristle with guns with an addition of a lower deck battery (Naval tech 20). Berri falls on Sept. 25th and Naples follows on Oct. 22nd. This is followed by further conquests of Genoa and Franche Comte on Nov. 1st. Genoa is added to our nation that same day and their navy is a welcome addition to our own. We offer peace peace to France in exchange for Milan and Bourgogne and they find these terms acceptable and spend the next couple years burning down Dutch holdings in America.

Michoagan falls Jan. 26th and Freisen fall the following day. We make peace with Spain for Franche Comte and Michoagan which is accepted. We never miss a chance at taking Spanish gold colonies. With the exception of the Dutch, the wars in the west have largely ended which is good as our armies are exhausted. We have managed to squander our manpower reserves and are just getting by. Istria is lost to Greece. Mysore falls on Feb. 26th. We learn of mobile artillery and immediately put this to use (Land tech 20). The army's morale is at an all time high (invincible). Unfortunately, the peasant morale is terrible and we see a revolt in Emilia. Hainaut falls on April 7th. Carpathia follows suit on May 8th. Rome falls and rebels storm the fortress. Russia offers us Livonia and Estonia for peace. We accept, glad to have peace again with the Czar. Apulia falls on Oct. 27th and we annex them and add their armies and navies to our own. Modena is also lost to rebel control. This is getting insane! Venice falls finally after the longest siege I have ever seen on Nov. 11th as does Transylvania. Rome's rebels are put to the sword Dec. 19th but then Algiers (Turkey, Hafsid Empire and Oman) declares war with us! Did I mention that we are now allied with the Mughal Empire? They will probably not remain true and that will give us Casus Belli in the future, all part of the master India plan.

We have less opponents at least and the mapmakers in Berlin are given much work to do revising our borders. We invent mortars and begin to use these dreadful weapons on a large scale (Land tech 21). The Hague falls Feb. 1st and Zeeland falls March 29th and we force them to cede us Flandres and Hainaut [and I would have annexed them all but the game kept crashing if I full annexed them, any ideas why?]. Denmark had decided to declare war alone and true to my word I set plans to erase this nuisance from the map. Modena is stormed and rebel blood flows in Italia. Bangalore is captured April 19th. We decide to offer peace to Poland-Lithuania for Carpathia and Magyar and it is accepted. Japan closes itself to the western world. Fools! They have given every European nation a reason for war including us! Hmm, to invade Nippon, it's an interesting idea but I think India must be conquered first.

This war is winding down. A new center of trade opens in Macquarie. I must admit I had to look hard to find this place on the map. I buy off Algiers for 500D and Deccan falls and we annex Mysore giving us a strong presense in India. Sjaelland falls and we ship the army across the straits to land in undefended Skane which falls soon after. Gotland look at be hellish as some 60,000 men are waiting there. The Kaiser makes the first landing there as Skane is falling and the attack fails and he is horribly wounded. I fear he will never lead a battle again. The navy quickly loads the army in Skane and lands on Gotland as the defender's morale is still quite low. We narrowly defeat the Danes and besiege the isle. I quickly call up the Freikorps and they reinforce the Gotland siege. An assault is called and Denmark is ours! Not a minute too soon as Gustavus Adolphus was marching a 50k army to Skane. We settle with Sweden, paying 250D in reparations. To Portugal, we offer a white peace and they are glad to accept and we are glad they accept. We stand more powerful than ever but internal troubles may cause it all to fall apart.

Mangalore is founded in India. We begin a massive fortification effort throughout the realm. We print large amounts of thalers to pay for this project. We have several rebellions, Naples, Carpathia, Estonia, Romagna, Savoy, Luxembourg and Milan.

Friedrich Wilhelm arrives in Podlasia and immediately goes out rebel hunting. Lithuania, Nivernais, Rome, Naples, genoa and Carpathia all revolt. We invent new exploding cannonballs and test these on the numerous rebels (Land tech 22).

This year is much more quiet and only Hainaut rebels.

Rome is finally captured from rebels holding the fortress. Large fortresses are tough to crack indeed. A refinery is commissioned in Alsace to replace one burned long ago by pillaging Savoyard armies. New revolts break out in Franche Comte and Florence.

The Holdings of House Hohenzollern.

ScreenSave11.JPG

ScreenSave12.JPG

ScreenSave13.JPG

Peace still reigns besides the unhappy peasants. We see rebels in Luxembourg, Sjaelland and Luxembourg yet again.

Mughal Empire declares war upon the Persians (Ubzeks) and I decide to support them. I wonder if this will trigger another globe-spanning war or if it will remain a local affair. It doesn't take long to get my answer and Turkey declares war on Perisa? Well, okay, that isn't so bad. Unfortunately, this triggers events and alliances. Russia (Venice and Greece) declare upon us. The Mughals dishonor the alliance and I vow to punish them one day. I give Persia 20D for peace, let the Mughals rot. Spain declares alone, how odd. England (Scotland and the Netherlands) declares war. France (Norway) declares. Mughal Empire declares, what on earth is this nonsense! Poland-Lithuania (Finland and Knights of St. John) declare. Algiers (Turkey, Hafsid Empire and Oman) declare. Wonderful, it is Prussia alone versus the entire world besides the Far East. I deserve a new title for sure, perhaps Prince or some such title. I have too much work to worry about such trivial things. The Mughal are bought off for 2D, a bargain to be sure. Ile de France falls Oct. 21st and Friesen falls Nov. 18th. Holland is overrun Nov. 30th and Provence is captured and Dec. 6th followed two days later by the fall of Pest.
I put our plans in Indian into effect and declare upon Hyderabad. We will not let those Mughal off lightly in the future.

Hyderabad is taken Jan. 18th and Nagpur follows on Jan. 30th. Genoa picks this time to revolt. No matter, they will be crushed. Jalisco falls on March 23rd. We take Artois on May 23rd and force our terms on Spain and we receive Jalisco and Artois. Madya Pradesh falls on June 29th and we annex them into our growing Indian presense. Russia sues for peace offering Ingermanland to which we accept. Finally, a steping stone into the real Russian heartland. We force Poland-Lithuania to accept our terms of Pest and Transylvania. Ingermanland is colonistverted to the Reformed faith.

Zeeland is taken Jan 5th and Dauphine on Jan 8th. We take Dauphine and Provence in peace talks with France. I manage to have enough time to iron out some government policies and excite the nation (event). The Hague falls May 8th and we take Zeeland and Holland in exchange for peace [and once again I could not annex them without crashing the game, wtf]. I pay Algiers 250D for peace but Sweden finally decides to declare war [and naturally the annex proof Netherland answer their call, I may have to edit them out of the game].

Skane is lost but we take Freisen and The Hague again. We attempted to land in England but a great general pushed us into the sea, I think his name was Surrey. We will try something different next year and I will lead the attack.

We learn of Cartography at last. Our navies have been completely successful in sweeping the seas and keep our shores safe. Surrey is still in Kent so I decide to land in Cornwell which swiftly falls on Aug. 11th. Surrey manages to defeat my army and forces us into Bristol as he besieges Kent. This is humorous as I manage to take Bristol without loss and march to Wessex were reinforcements are landed. Surrey marchs to Bristol and we reduce Wessex on Nov. 18th. I march to Bristol and manage to slaughter the English army at last and Lord Surrey is not spared. I then make haste to Kent.

Kent falls March 1st and we force terms on the English for Kent and Nova Scotia. The English were fools to cede us a toehold on their island. They are doomed for sure. Our diplomats perform a brilliant move in Sweden but I remind them that we care not what those filthy Swedes think of us (event).
I manage to work on centralizing our government even further and it increases revenue as well with highly efficient tax collection methods (Infrastructure tech 7).

The kaiser passes and Friedrich Wilhelm is now rex Borussiae, that is King of Prussia rather than the older rex Borussorum, King in Prussia. It may look like needless worry over a little word but the true message is clear and that is our utter comtempt for this so called Holy Roman Empire. It's certainly not Roman and it is rarely ever holy. Let the Spanish Emperor fight us if he wishes.

We learn a method of mixing our troops to fight better together (Land tech 23). The Mughal's declare, have we been at war that long? I guess so and the pagan areas begin to rebel, we must end this soon. Skane is retaken on Jan 22nd and then Spain (France) declares war. We are forced to buy them off. Smaland was taken March 27th but the Swedes able generals marched to besiege Skane yet again. Svealand is taken June 9th after dealing with the most difficult Swedish generals but my 100,000 are greater than his 45,000 and we carried the day and the Swedish army posed no further threat. Vastergotland fell Aug. 24th and Bergslagen Sept. 22nd and Gastrickland on Oct. 28th. Jamtland falls Nov. 26th but Poland-Lthuania declares war and we buy them off. On Dec. 29th Lappland falls.

We are forced to buy off Venice but manage to take all of Sweden and they are annexed. The Netherlands cedes us Freisen and the war is finally over.

ScreenSave14.JPG

ScreenSave15.JPG

Twe more questions:
1) Is there really finland and norway at the beginning of the main campain?
2) If there is what on earth have you installed (What version, mod, whatever)?

In the IGC, yes, you can turn Free Norway and Free Finland on at the beginnng, as well as Brittany, Ireland, Greece, etc.

Yep, Morph is right. The Improved Grand Campaign mod is great stuff. Here is a link if you are having trouble.

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~doomdark/EU/

You unzip this into your EU1 directory. Then you need to run EUCheck or Patch from your EU1 directory, I forget which one. I just click both to be sure. ;) Then run IGCConfig and you should see a nifty screen allowing you to select options and change major powers but make sure you hit apply, btw. If it doesn't work still, you probably need to update your version of Java Virtual Machine which you can get here.

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

If this doesn't work then I have no idea what is wrong and I will have to claim it is user error! :p

So does anyone know why those pesky Dutch crash my game when I annex them? This was a 'feature' I was not counting on and I have run out of provinces to annex from them!

I remember a thread from a while ago on this subject, I think, but I don't remember what the problem was determined to be... I'll see if I can dig it up.

That would be great Morpheus. I just don't understand what is up with it. I thought it might have been because they are a nation formed out of rebellion but Genoa did the same thing in this game and didn't cause this kind of problem. It's real annoying and gets in the way of conquest and thats no good at all!

Hmm... it is proving elusive.... I shall find it though. :)

Agh... the thread I was thinking about actually dealt with force converting the dutch, and turned out to be a random crash... sorry. :( Somebody might still know the problem though.