The SolAARium: Discuss the craft of writing - Alphabetical Index in the 1st Post

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank Crom you dragged the tone down, @El Pip. There was much too much talk of Alexander Pushkin and Charles Dickins to suit my taste :). Seriously though, in a comedic sense, I'd like to think The SolAARium is not just for literary or elite purposes. It's function is to cover all aspects of writing and AARs. I think it's great you tackled the comedic aspects of the subject. Your answers and insight just expands its purpose. And those are wonderful answers. Comedic AARs have been around since the very early days. The works of @Peter Ebbesen, MrT, prufrock451, and @Duke of Wellington come to mind, as well as my Portugal or Bust: The Director's Cut - Rated 'R', a mini-series that takes a not so subtle shot at the movie and TV world.

I liked your answer to planning or scritping events and how they are used on the fly. Sometimes the humour just writes itself.

• 2Like
Reactions:
• Do you plot non-historical characters ahead of time? Or create them on the fly?

Since what we write is alternative history, I like to keep my historical characters reasonably true to their actual selves. If nothing else, it helps give the reader something (someone?) to hold onto. If we were really writing alternative history there might not be any familiar name at all, and I think that can hurt suspension of disbelief. Even if your main characters are your own invention, a famous name or two passing in the background helps make it feel real.

• Do you use a character sheet?

No. If I don't know who the characters are, they tell me - and sometimes they tell me off and go their own way, or change as we go.
If I don't know who my people are - the major characters and not the minors - then I had better not write until I do.

• Do you introduce character traits slowly, or all at once (less is more vs. info dump)?

I like to give characters a 'tell' or fit them into a category - old man, new guy, etc. Then I let them play against type if they want. Nothing helps make a character human like inconsistency.

• Do your characters drive the story?

Yes. off the cliff, usually. I am not good at writing characters - I try, but it is not my strong suit. But all too often, they decide they don't like the script (or me) and off they go.

• Or does the story drive the character?

Sometimes the story necessitates certain characters - you can't have Shakespeare's Hamlet if you put Sherlock Holmes in the title role, or vice versa.
Some stories just have to have certain people in them or they are not that story.

• Does the AAR length influence the amount of narrative detail you go into (i.e. AARs that last a few years vs 350+)?

Length. Ah, God. I completely lost control of Here There Be Dragons and the experience was horrifying. I tend to want to write short fiction but seem completely unable to do so. Length? I could write a thousand pages on a minor character debating his breakfast. The problem is stopping.

• How much research do you undertake when writing a historical personage, if any?

A fair bit - but, honestly, this is alternative history, so having them react in a way that seems true to the audience is better than lifting a response from a biography. And having a historical personage ring a bit false to their actual character can be useful, too.

• Do you plan or script the events ahead of crafting your AAR, or write it 'on the fly'?

Both. I generally know the kind of story I want to tell and I work out a few scenes that I know have to be in the story no matter how hard I have to work to get there.
I do pick up a lot from game events, and I always try to play ahead so that I don't write myself into a corner.
I have changed my mind about the ending, but I think I have to get that settled at least by the mid-point if I'm going to arrive on-target.

• Have any of your characters taken on a life of their own and forced unforeseen changes to the narrative?

Constantly. I used to resent it but got to where I realized they know what they're about better than I do - I mean, why have an invisible friend if you don't let him speak?
I have sometimes forced a character to do what I want, and I have always regretted it - that makes for bad writing.

• Do you serialize your posts? (i.e. end with a cliffhanger?)

I have done - gotta keep those addicts comin' back for another hit, after all. Not all that often, but I have sometimes done so.

• Do you prefer First Person (I, me, my), Second Person (you, your), Third Person (he/she, his/her) or Third Person Omniscient (same as TP but with full knowledge of events)

That entirely depends on what I'm writing. I think - for me - it is a question of immediacy. First person is very immediate - we are at one with the POV character and we experience what he or she does, in real time. It goes down the scale from there, with a cool Third Person Omniscient more suited for history-book passages.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Hey Porter! Thanks for this. Good to see you still frequenting the halls, so to speak. Great answers, BTW. I noticed your disdain for character sheets. I like to use them so I can remember what side of the face a scar is on :).

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Lord Durham - Hi! Good to see so many old friends loitering... um... using creative planning time here.

I wouldn't say I have disdain for character sheets and I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.
It stems, I think, from the fact that I don't do a very good job of making vivid characters: cardboard is a kind description, and though I hope to uses a decent grade of strong, serviceable product, cardboard it remains.
From my perspective, I think I build characters from speech patterns and actions and I do not give a lot of details about appearance. Where I do - and I will list Madame Frost from Special Providence - I try to provide an actual image. And then she changes her appearance a dozen times, so there's that.

I do keep some notes when I mention past life, or anything like a peculiar scar that has to be referenced again. I just have never used a detailed character sheet.

No 'disdain' intended - just a caution that, one way or another you had better know who your people are, and had better think they are worth writing about, before you start.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.

Perhaps you life needs better... direction.

(And this kind of joke is what keeps me out of the really good writing programs.)

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
@Lord Durham - Hi! Good to see so many old friends loitering... um... using creative planning time here.

So many new faces, so few old. It was an invite by @coz1 over on Facebook that brought me here. He wanted me to read his magnum opus 'War of the Roses' AAR. Of course I refused. Then the cheques started rolling in. I still said no. Then it was the phone calls from very important people imploring me. No, I said again. Finally, it was the groveling by Al that convinced me to give it a try. So I did, and it was, er, actually, is, great. A definite recommendation. So now that I'm here, I thought I'd see what further mischief I can get into.

I wouldn't say I have disdain for character sheets and I am sorry if my comments came off that way. I'll blame all-night insomnia two nights in a row for that.

Yeah, perhaps 'disdain' was too harsh a word. How about, er, ah, 'disdain?' :)

Are you working on anything these days, @Director, or just loitering?

Or do you, as @Secret Master so adroitly stated, need direction...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
@Lord Durham -
Oh! When you were talking about 'disdane' I thought it was your clever Canadian way to refer to from someone from Denmark.

My mistake. Perhaps if your people spoke English... ;)

@Secret Master -
I'll tell you the terrible truth. The last thing I wrote was "A Battle History of the Modern Byzantine Navy" in 2016.
Since then, COVID got me retired against my will... and Paradox and I no longer play together. I couldn't keep interested in the welter of DLCs and rules changes.

I think I would have liked Stellaris, but I took up Distant Worlds before that came out. Rule The Waves is a favorite. Playing Tropico at the moment... I've bought a lot of Paradox games, including Imperator and Victoria 3, but... somehow, when I want to play, I pick up something else.

At some point I didn't have time to write. And when I did, I found I don't have the drive I once did. I have a third HistoryPark story mapped out and ready to write... but I've delayed so long that EU7 is on its way out and EU26 is on the way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At some point I didn't have time to write.

You got it.

When I finally got some time to do stuff, I started channeling it into other creative endeavors.

True story:

I did get to present an academic paper on Stellaris. Not an AAR or fiction, but fun nonetheless. :)

... um... using creative planning time here.
I hope so.

No 'disdain' intended - just a caution that, one way or another you had better know who your people are, and had better think they are worth writing about, before you start.
Cannot disagree with this. That said, when one has a sprawling cast, Character sheets/notes/cards/whatever can assist in not making a terrible continuity error in the writing. So too Outlines to assist in keeping within the thread and not getting too far off base and/or away from the intended story.

So many new faces, so few old. It was an invite by @coz1 over on Facebook that brought me here. He wanted me to read his magnum opus 'War of the Roses' AAR. Of course I refused. Then the cheques started rolling in. I still said no. Then it was the phone calls from very important people imploring me. No, I said again. Finally, it was the groveling by Al that convinced me to give it a try. So I did, and it was, er, actually, is, great. A definite recommendation. :)
And to think that someone round these parts suggested that I not write it in the first place. ;)

The ducats were well spent, LD. :cool:

• 2Like
Reactions: