• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Codeblue

Canadian by Technicality
4 Badges
Mar 26, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
The Sleeping Coyote​

Argentina in World War II​

January 1, 1936

Early morning, New Year's Day. Agustin Justo, leader of Argentina, sat in his office sipping a bit of whiskey, staring blankly out over the capital of Buenos Aires. Fireworks lit up the city from time to time, but Justo hardly saw them. It was good for the people to celebrate for once. But Justo had more important things on his mind.

A knock at the door. "Come in," Justo called without looking away from the window.

Another man walked in, standing quietly behind Justo's chair. "I hear it is the best New Year's Day celebration for some time, Generalissimo."

Justo nodded. "Good." He whirled around to face the man who had entered. "Manuel, if you would be so kind as to spend a few minutes giving me your opinion on this report."

The Chief of Staff and Chief of the Army, Manuel Rodriguez nodded and pulled up another chair.

"Well, as you know, the military is very outdated. We currently have a team researching more modern infantry. Another team is researching more effective farming techniques."

"Oh?"

Rodriguez nodded. "I'm not a scientist, or a farmer, but it has something to do with chemistry. I'm sure you'll get a more detailed report on the specifics later."

"Do you think this wise, Manuel?"

"For now, yes. We definitely need the new infantry equipment, and more efficient farming would no doubt help the poor peasants and increase your standing with them."

Justo nodded. It was hard for him to get excited about much these days. Too much time leading had burned him out. Too many nights staying up late had left him fatigued.

"I see also that the air force is lagging behind not only in modernization, but also in numbers."

Rodriguez sighed. "Sir, everything is undermanned and under-equipped. If war came to us now, we would be in dire straits indeed."

"Our industrialization lags behind, Manuel. Before I can do anything to remedy our military situation, we will need to increase our production capacity." Justo sighed. "I'm getting tired of this, Manuel.

He peered out the window once more. A bright, blue and white firework was exploding to the delight of the crowd below them. "Go ahead and get back to your family, Manuel. We have a lot of work to do tomorrow."

The Chief of Staff stood and saluted. Justo did not even notice the salute, he was too caught up in his own thoughts.

Argentina's president heard the office door close behind him. He was left alone again, to ponder. It was his duty to bring Argentina into a new age. He didn't know if he was up for it these days.

The grand finale of the major fireworks show was beginning. Justo took another sip of his whiskey. He hoped the New Year would be better for Argentina than the last.

Last edited:
Good luck conquering South America. ;)

Alright anyone who has played as Argentina and been successful...

Is it a guarantee that the U.S. will come calling if I DoW anyone in the Americas?

I want this to be interesting...I need battles. I'm also planning on doing some stuff with behind the scenes players and little people that dont necessarily revolve around war...but I'd like to have some war stories.

Codeblue said:

Is it a guarantee that the U.S. will come calling if I DoW anyone in the Americas?

I want this to be interesting...I need battles. I'm also planning on doing some stuff with behind the scenes players and little people that dont necessarily revolve around war...but I'd like to have some war stories.
Sometimes the US will DoW, other times they will not. It is best to attack and annex before they do so.

Go after bolivia and puppet them, it will net you about 70 metal a day in resources. Also if you follow this route give them their claims in northern chile because that will net you about another 30 metal a day. Once you have bolivia and chilie it is basically no challenge to dominate south america. Oh and the US of A usually waits until ww2 starts to declare war, just watch out for their interventionlism levels.

-Reckless

In my Argentina Game, my strategy was to head toward Venezuela to get the oil of course i joined the Unholy Alliance and gave myself off-map 10ic bonus :D

I've played Argentina a ton. Conquer whomever you want, just make sure you do a non-aggression pact (after you've annexed the nation you just conquered) with America after they cancel it. This works nearly every time. The entire time you're fighting Paraguay or Bolivia or whatever just keep feeding the US free supplies or whatever you have a massive surplus of. This will keep them from hating you.

In fact, since the USA are not in South America they don't even get free Interventionism slider moves. But Colombia seems to be off limits, I always get DOWed when I get there, Non-aggression Pact notwithstanding.

Codeblue said:

Nope. I played various Central American countries, and generally the US did not act before my second DOW. But you could devise an Argentine scenario where you cancel the US guarantees for some of the countries you plan to attack if you want - keeping in mind the threat of a US declaration of war is part of the fun when playing the Argies.

Alternatively, you could boost some other countries' ties with either the Allies or Germany, so that WW2 also erupts in Latin America.

applerunner said:
In my Argentina Game, my strategy was to head toward Venezuela to get the oil of course i joined the Unholy Alliance and gave myself off-map 10ic bonus :D
cheater. ;)

March 19, 1936

Miguel Montoya stood amongst the boulders and gravel strewn about the mountains. Near him, men were humming as they busily improved the railway system. The orders had come down almost two months ago now and they were well on their way to hooking up with the rails that supplied the other provinces.

"Hey, Miguel. What's going on, muchacho? Something wrong?"

Miguel turned to see his subordinate standing behind him, grimed caked on ever inch of his body. "No, Juan. Nothing's wrong. Just...taking a little break."

Juan smiled and nodded. "Well come on, amigo. We need your help with part of this line."

"I'll be right there." Juan ran back to the line. Miguel kept staring out toward the west. The high peaks of the Andes blocked his view, but not far away was Chile, and he knew their army was stationed right on the border.

He shivered then and walked back to the rail line.

March 21, 1936

The El Presidente Cafe was packed. Revelers spilled out into the street. Typical night. Huddled away in a corner booth, Salvador Escavera sat with a woman, in the middle of a heated discussion.

"What am I gonna do, huh? It's required to be in the army for two years, no? I can't get away from that. And now, we have been ordered up to the border with Uruguay. What can I do?"

The woman looked at him, a mixture of anger and sadness on her face. "Salvador...please don't go."

"Oh, Dios mios, Ines. I told you already. I'm stuck being in the army. There's nothing I can do about it. I can't just leave. You know what happens to people they catch deserting?"

Ines said nothing for several seconds. Then, "Something bad is going to happen, Salvador."

He sighed. "One of those feelings again?" She nodded. He scooted closer, putting his arm around her gently. "Look. Nothing is going to happen. It's not an invasion. We're just securing the border, trying to rattle their cage a bit is all. There's nothing to worry about. I'll be up on the border for a few months and then I'll be back, nothing to worry about. Ok, mi amor?"

Ines nodded, but said nothing, a tear still rolling down her cheek. "I"m just so worried."

"Ah, come on. Let's get outta here."

"Where are we going?"

He smiled that smile she so adored. "Somewhere more fun than this. Come on." He grabbed her hand and ushered her out of the cafe.

An hour later, they were laying on the beach, looking up at the stars. Ines was using his chest as a pillow. It was perfect.

Last edited: