• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, this is another time-travel AAR is it? You certainly started off really well and have my attention.

Utter and complete confusion?
Sir? Are you trying to feed our Timelines hunger?

Subscribed. Without knowing anything but the author and the title. The author's name is enough :)

So, you've gone from slightly anarchic, quite childish but very intelligent comedy to somewhat confusing, very engaging and highly disturbing drama... Did you at some point bang your head quite hard and wake up thinking that you're Terry Gilliam?

So, you've gone from slightly anarchic, quite childish but very intelligent comedy to somewhat confusing, very engaging and highly disturbing drama... Did you at some point bang your head quite hard and wake up thinking that you're Terry Gilliam?

Wha...?

Simple, Iain is going to go on to become one of the world's greatest directors, and Milton Keynes will become the British equivalent of Hollywood (Alas, poor Milton Keynes).

On a slightly more serious note, Iain's first bit of writing in this AAR does suggest that he might be going from someone delving in absurd, slightly black humour to very intriguing drama dealing heavily with ideas of identity and sanity. Or I'm completely wrong in my interpretation of it.

Simple, Iain is going to go on to become one of the world's greatest directors, and Milton Keynes will become the British equivalent of Hollywood (Alas, poor Milton Keynes).

On a slightly more serious note, Iain's first bit of writing in this AAR does suggest that he might be going from someone delving in absurd, slightly black humour to very intriguing drama dealing heavily with ideas of identity and sanity. Or I'm completely wrong in my interpretation of it.

A shame about Keynes indeed. And they have about the greatest football team name ever. MK Dons. It sounds like they are all italian mobsters.

:D

Just finished upgrading all the way from 2006-EUIII to Divine Wind just because of this, but I still haven't found the Meaning of the Door. Looking forward to those clues.

Excellent start. Made me think a little of Life On Mars when it was still unclear whether the main character was mad or not.

So, this is another time-travel AAR is it? You certainly started off really well and have my attention.

Time travel or dimensional travel???

The really big stars would get a roundabout named in their honour.

Remember, stay on topic guys. Some of you are dangerously crossing the line of going off-topic of the AAR. Just a friendly warning.

After just finishing Tension/The Void/Turgor, this topic title is very confusing. If you start rambling about Defensive Emerald, Trusting Gold, naked Sisters and monstrous Brothers, I'm out of here*. Anyway, interested what the soldiers are guarding. I'm not usually a fan of story aars, but this one seems to be different enough to hold my interest.

*that's a lie. I would stalk this thread because it'd be the best crossover ever.

Consider me on board. Stunning beginning, you've already built up quite a puzzle in this first chapter alone!

Ok - colour me completely bowled over by the sheer abundance of replies! Apologies about the delay in getting another chapter up - things have been busy. However, I have one right here for you. But first, a little reply to all of your lovely feedback.

Very tense and gripping stuff. I'm certainly subscribed and eager to find out what is behind the door. Actually considering how dark this first update was, perhaps I don't want to find out what is behind the door!

Hehe. Don't worry; hopefully you'll be nice and prepared before you find out what's waiting there for you.

I love the tension! Very interested to see more!
What he said ^
l

Well, once I've had 30 seconds to post this lot then more you shall have!

Good stuff, can't wait for more! I never made the jump from EU2/FTG to EU3, so this should be exciting - no better way to make a foray into the world of EU3.

Hopefully this will be slightly more serious than my last little dabble with EU3...

I'm saying NOTHING (yet)! Let the speculation commence...

Utter and complete confusion?
Sir? Are you trying to feed our Timelines hunger?

The comparison is very flattering but I think both AARs are different beasts (saying that, I have no idea what Canonized's end game was going to be so maybe you're on the same track - who knows!).

Subscribed. Without knowing anything but the author and the title. The author's name is enough :)

I'm officially blushing now :)

Thankfully no! But I am trying to wear a different hat here - I keep it in a seperate box away from my Suenik helmet and my Oranjes pith helmet!

Excellent start. Made me think a little of Life On Mars when it was still unclear whether the main character was mad or not.

That and Ashes to Ashes were two of my favourite programmes on TV. I can assure you that there will be no gruff Mancunian coppers featuring in this AAR though!

A most intriguing and somewhat puzzling beginning...

Stay tuned and I shall seek to confuse you further!

After just finishing Tension/The Void/Turgor, this topic title is very confusing. If you start rambling about Defensive Emerald, Trusting Gold, naked Sisters and monstrous Brothers, I'm out of here*. Anyway, interested what the soldiers are guarding. I'm not usually a fan of story aars, but this one seems to be different enough to hold my interest.
*that's a lie. I would stalk this thread because it'd be the best crossover ever.

Well, I shall endeavour to keep your interest! And I have no idea of what Defensive Emeralds, Trusting Gold, naked Sisters or monstrous Brothers are. I was going to Google them but started with "naked Sisters" and just got distracted by quite how much data is available about that subject on the internet... A lot of it in pictorial form too... ;)

Consider me on board. Stunning beginning, you've already built up quite a puzzle in this first chapter alone!

Thank you - and I'm happy to have you aboard!

The town’s main market square below him buzzed like an overturned bee hive. There were the customary stalls set up underneath colourful awnings which, from where he stood, made the whole area look like a massive, patchwork quilt. Normally the men and women attending market would be bustling between these pitches – eager to secure a bargain – or else perusing the various pens and cages where livestock were being sold. Today, however, they simply stood and stared, chatting to those that stood next to them and pointing to where he stood on the roof of the Corn Exchange. He couldn’t tell how they were feeling – he was too high up to read their faces. Was it horrified fascination that caused them to stop what they were doing and stare at him? Was it pity? Fear? Were they ghoulishly awaiting the finale, wanting to be able to return to family and friends and say “I was there?” Or – and this thought chilled him to the very bone – did they know what he knew? Were they aware of just what it was that had driven him here and which caused him now to peer nervously over the edge, telling himself that it would be over quickly? He clutched frantically at the wall behind him. This wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought.

~~~

The two figures mounted on horseback wore the deep blue uniforms of the City Militia. Swords hung from their belts, and the feathered plumage that erupted in a colourful spray from a band round their hats told any observers that they were officers and therefore in charge of the half dozen men armed with spears and carrying shields that stood patiently behind the two horses.

One of the officers, a slightly overweight, intelligent looking man in his early twenties turned his eyes away from the figure standing on the roof of the Corn Exchange and looked worriedly at his colleague.

“Where is he? He should have arrived by now! I’m getting worried, Jeremiah, I tell you. If he doesn’t turn up, does it mean that we can’t proceed?”

His colleague held up a hand, shook his head and smiled. He was taller than the first man, but slimmer, with deep blue eyes and dark hair that was greying at the temples. When he spoke his voice was low and soothing.

“Will you relax, Mr Sandler? The Captain will be here in his own good time. If he was busy with that lovely young wife of his I can understand his reluctance to turn up here.”

Sandler’s look of shock was so marked it was almost comedic.

“You can’t say that! He’s the Captain and…”

Jeremiah laughed, cutting him off midflow.

“…and he’s a good friend of mine. John and I have known each other for years, Robert. I know he’s in charge, but please don’t deify him – he hates that sort of thing. As far as Captain Williamson is concerned, he’s one of the lads; just another soldier helping keep this city safe from the barbarians.”

Robert seemed to think about this and turned his eyes back to the figure on the rooftop.

“I wonder if that’s what drove him up there?”

“What do you mean?”

“Talk of the barbarians. People have said that they’re massing at the wall and ready to try and push through.”

“People have been saying that for the last decade – and the people doing the telling are usually mercenaries trying to justify the obscene sums that they are paid or frontiersmen trying to impress the ladies with their tales of derring do.”

Robert furrowed his brow and shook his head.

“I don’t think it’s that simple – there have been reports of raids on settlements near the wall, and when you hear about what the barbarians do to those that they take prisoner… Well, all I’m saying is that it could cause some people”, here he pointed at the man on the roof, “to act in a pretty strange manner.”

“Sadler, we’re almost a hundred miles from the frontier. I think we’d have plenty of advance warning of a barbarian horde looting its way towards us. As for our friend up there, we’re going to find out exactly why he’s up there just as soon as we drag him down. And we’ll decide on how exactly we’re going to do that once Captain Williamson gets here.”

~~~

John Williamson, captain in the City Militia, was presently hurtling towards the market square on horseback. It had been twenty minutes since the runner from Lady Breznak – city governor and John’s de facto superior – had arrived breathlessly at the door of his house bearing a letter sealed with the City’s crest. Stopping only to tip the lad some small change, he had hastily broken the wax seal and swiftly read the letter.

John had only been married a couple of days previously and was technically still on leave, and it was this that convinced him of the seriousness of the situation. Lady Breznak had been quick to point out to John the importance of him shutting himself away from his work in the days following his marriage – “A new bride needs to know that she is the centre of your universe, John” – so this sudden summons could only mean an emergency of the most serious nature. Therefore, when he arrived at the market square he was somewhat disappointed and annoyed not to find a riot of city-consuming proportions in progress.

With a deft movement he dismounted and, patting his horse’s steaming flanks, handed the reigns to one of the militiamen along with a couple of coins.

“Have her stabled and rested – I’ve ridden her like the devil himself to get here. Jeremiah! Robert! Over here.”

The other two officers turned their horses towards him and dismounted. John folded his arms and nodded his head in the direction of the man on the roof.

“What’s the story then?”

Jeremiah snorted.

“We were kind of hoping that you would tell us that.”

“I’m sorry?”

Robert held up a hand.

“If I might interject, sir. We received a missive to the barracks earlier this morning from the governor’s office demanding that we proceed to the market square with a detachment of men where a civil disturbance was taking place and thereupon wait for yourself where we would receive further orders regarding the situation and…”

Jeremiah coughed noisily.

"That’s plenty, Robert, thank you. Truth is John, we were told nothing more than there was a guy on the roof, that we were to get him down, but that we were to wait for you before doing anything. How’s Ruth?”

John smiled wryly.

“She WAS brilliant until this morning. Unless I go back to her with a story of barbarians running loose in the town centre raping and pillaging she’s probably going to go straight round to Lady Breznak and let her know just exactly what she thinks of her promise to only contact me in an absolute emergency.”

“Well, have a word with young Sadler over there – he knows plenty of colourful stories about barbarians.”

Robert, face flushed with indignation, went to speak but John held up his arms and pointed to the militiamen.

“Sergeant Sadler – take these men and clear the square. Seal the entrances until I tell you otherwise. Sergeant Piper and I will attempt to get that man down off the roof.”

He turned to Jeremiah.

“Right – let’s see if we can find out just why this guy’s so important to Lady Breznak.”

The plot thickens - I think. In any case, another excellent chapter!

British names? Walls and barbarians? Where are they, and what's going on? And a new marriage is never a good thing.

So, let's see some bets on what country Iain Wilson is playing as.
Would it be the Scots again? Kinda doubt that ..