Part Time Warp
- May 30, 2007
The Shortest Road to Damascus
An interactive Syrian AAR
An interactive Syrian AAR
As I was playing my first In Nomine game with an Italian nation, I saw how things got quite messy at the other side of the Mediterranean... a simultaneous Mamluk-Jalayirid-Timurid collapse in the late 1410s left the Middle East with an interesting set of choices to spin off a game from it.
I thought Syria could potentially provide great fun, then I thought even more fun could be had by turning the game into an interactive AAR.
So here's the plan: try to more or less recreate the Umayyad Caliphate -from Spain to the Indus- in the shortest possible time, without breaching the BB limit (a caliph cannot be a hated through the world type of figure).
Before each update everybody is welcome to give 2 policy recommendations. They can be diplomatic, administrative or military (i.e. DoW X, move slider Y, recruit unit Z). I'll try my best to follow the most popular ones. Of course the soon-to-be Caliph can always veto them depending on the situation and/or the mood
Settings: default, vanilla 3.2b, Strannik's map mod.
Start Date: 11 August 1426 (earliest save I had kept with Syria in it).
End date: when the Caliphate is attained - all of Arabia, Levant, Iraq, Mediterranean Africa, Persia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iberia.
Table of Contents
Prologue. Syria in 1425
1. The shortest road is always the steepest (1425-33)
2. The road to Mecca is closed (1433-38)
3. The road rarely ends where you expect (1438-45)
4. Sealanes and roadblocks (1445-55)
5. The mountain road to Isfahan (1455-61)
6. Coastal road to Alexandria, desert road to oblivion (1461-70)
7. The roadrunner from Durrani (1470-79)
8. Caspian crossroads (1479-89)
9. Some roads lead to Rome faster than others (1489-1500)
10. Blood on the road to Mecca (1500-15)
11. Strange companions on the road to India (1515-29)
12. Roadtrip to the west and other Chinese tales (1529-42)
13. On the fast road to modernity (1542-51)
14. The Silk Road is not what it used to be (1551-63)
15. The road to glory must take you to Al-Andalus (1563-83)
16. East-West Mediterranean Roadshow (1583-99)
17. The not-so-rocky roads of Sierra Nevada (1599-1612)
18. Island roads and causeways (1612-1625)
19. Safer roads from Lisbon to Moscow (1625-1638)
20. Roadkill prevention for janissaries (1638-50)
21. Waiting at the roadside leads nowhere (1650-69)
22. End of the road for Castille (1669-88)
23. Down the same Sicilian road (1688-1705)
24. The last road to al-Andalus (1705-1715)
Epilogue. Syria in 1715