• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front

The Ebony Eagle

The Lion's Thunder

dhm786.jpg

"Herr Oberst?"

"What is the matter?"

"A message from the General High Staff, Field Marshal von Tippelskirch. It's very important."

"Well let me have it, lieutentant."

"A direct command for all major or minor commanders, from companies, to battalions to divisions to entire corps and armies. Forward! We move in on Warsaw immediatley, Operation Frederik the Great has begun! And now the armies of the Third Reich will rightfully return to its state of power and supremacy on the European continent."

~Outskirts of Warsaw.

A German motorized unit moved closer to the very gates of the once magnificent Polish city and capital, inside the Russians were in a panic: cut-off, and surrounded having no where to go, and their comrades behind them were in no shape to save them. Wilhelm Pelzer looked at the nearby tanks and he and Peter Strause were awe-shock. Overhead a lone ME-109 Kurfast flew directly above, maybe only some fifty-feet from the ground and gave a victory sign and wave as he passed the German and Russian soldiers below. Behind them a car pulled up and it caught great attention.

Inside stood a defiant Kurt von Tippelskirch as he looked at the leading collumns of his forces ready to push into the very hearts of Warsaw. His uniform was in a pure parade-dress, all of his decarations and medals were proudly pinned to his chest. His car stopped and he took two steps out of his command car and proceded to walk through the soldiers, passing Wilhelm and Peter in the process and paused only some few feet infront of them. The field marshal looked around at all of his soldiers and smiled, "Let's Go!"

The soldiers took up their positions in their trucks, on the tanks or beside their vehicles and armed themselves. As the fieldmarshal walked back, overhead a swarm of German aircraft stormed out of the woods, and began to bomb the outskirts of Warsaw, the site was magnificent: glorious explosions rocketed and shook the ground perhaps only 1000 feet or closer to the German front lines, the panzers were off. The lead tank opened a massive rip from its 88mm Gun and rolled into the city of Warsaw itself.

~Russian Headquarters, Central Warsaw.

"General?"

"What?"

"The Germans are coming."

"God dammit, I think I know that colonel! Can't you hear the explosions outside? You must be deaf."

"Perhaps this is the day that people look at and say this won us the war?"

"Colonel, you must be joking. This isn't going to turn into anything like a Stalingrad, our worst fears have come true again. Like in 1941 now in 1945, the German High command is able to launch a full-scale offensive against our positions."

"Maybe their only delaying the inevitable, afterall we have over 7 million soldiers near or on the German border."

"Numbers don't matter anymore. The Germans have begun their last ditch effort to win the war, this is no delaying tactic. This is an offensive to capture Moscow..."

s2.jpg

The Battle of Warsaw has begun, the Russian Liberation is underway...

... Five months of no production or reinforcements plus an odd event of war refugees have brought back the German manpower numbers, but they begin to drop yet again as the war heats up during the end of the long winter months. Not as big of a pocket in Warsaw as I hoped though, they all retreated backwards, a smart move by them.

And so it begins...

I wish you luck in the final battle for Europe, and I'm sure the German People will be the victors when it final sun sets.

If you take it slow, and avoid city-battles ala Stalingrad then this MP should go a long way for you, especially with the Agri-techs.

Just so everyone knows, since I've started my new AAR, this will be updated less frequently, but I've actually played to the year 1948. So the updating shall take you all through the struggle with the Soviet Union and beyound... This will not die until Washington and London are in German hands!

And So It Begins...

dhm1218.jpg

"Let's Go, forward gutt soldiers of das Reich! Gott erhalten das Vaterland!"

The German Wehrmacht had begun the long awaited advance into the Soviet Union once again, after three years of being pushed back out of the Motherland the German army is about to make their glorious or inglorious return to the Russian Motherland. The German army began their advance in Central Poland as a mear distraction and Russian soldiers began shifting north after the Battle of Warsaw which saw the death and capitulation of 400,000 Russian troops. In southern Ukraine, the muddy and water-filled terrain of many months have finally combed over and has become free of bad weather. German generals finally make the call, with Hitler in the Reichstag being ever more dramatic and having little tolerance at this point with his commanders, the invasion begins because the generals and field marshals fear for not only their command positions and more importantly their lives.

~ After the Battle of Stryj.

"Franz?"

"What's the matter Stephan?"

"Nick," the German soldier points to his fallen comrade laying on the battlefield dead, "Some time ago I promised that he would survive this war and return to his home, now I have broken that promise."

"Forget about it, you must learn to move on with your life."

"But he was my best friend, and he died because of me."

"Why you?"

"There stood a Russian grenade right beside him, I did nothing but hide and run, he had no idea and then..."

"It's not your fault, everything happens for a reason."

As the two men continue their conversation, the German soldiers and panzers push pass the fallen soldiers of both sides, and the destroyed and burning Russian vehicles and tanks. The plain tall grass is being transformed into a routing sack of dead men and burning machinery. Several hundreds of Russian soldiers can be seen being marched backwards to the German lines and the Wehrmacht positions itself and begins to look for the new Russian lines. The Red Army is in full retreat all across the Ukrainian Front, with Romanian and Bulgarian soldiers pushing out of Bessbaria and German and Hungarian soldiers pushing out of Southern Poland into Ukraine, the Russian High Command is in total shambles trying to figure out how in the world the German Military after being on the retreat for so long, suffering defeat after defeat was able to mount such a counter-offensive.

"At times Franz you come to love your friends, ofcourse this a different love than with your wife or girlfriend, but it is just as strong, and can have long lasting effects as well."

"Stephan, we really must be going forward with the rest of the unit."

"Just think, if I'd done something else, act brave, yell, push him out of the way, toss the grenade back he'd still be here with us."

"God has a way of showing his will in the most obscure of manners."

"No, it was completely my fault. I truly don't want to die, but then again, what do I have to live for. I've been fighting for a cause that I no longer believe in. I no longer fight for Hitler or the Fatherland or my homeland. I no longer have the urge to fight for domination."

"Domination?"

"Fool, they've brainwashed you, the Germans in the Reichstag will stop at nothing short of complete world domination between either themselves or us and Japan. The world we live in no longer has a good meaning, and there's nothing left to live for. How much longer until war is finally gone? When will this bloodshed finally come to an end? I've seen fathers, sons and children killed, women and children too. If this is what war is about, then this is no war but butchery and murder."

"Stephan, lets go."

"I'm sorry Franz, I'm not going anywhere," Stephan pulls out his Luger and aims it at his head and says his final words, "I'm sorry," he pulls the trigger and the man falls down to the ground with a large hole of blood in his head, and his friend Franz can only stare in horror.

Franz looks down and says a prayer to his fallen friend, "Some say that suicide brings you straight to hell, I'm sure there are some exceptions. So long bud." Franz grabs his Kar-98 and begins to walk alone through the fields and joins with other soldiers of the German 198th Infantry Division and they march into the great unknown, the steppes of Greater Mother Russia. When will the war finally come to an end?

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

And with the Red Army in complete retreat the German Wehrmacht began a quick and devastating march across Ukraine. The invasion of Mother Russia has finally begun and the Red Army at this point is unable to match the might of the German war machine, just as it did in 1941.

...unless they find themselves back at Berlin again. If 1945 is now like 1941, beware we are back at the Oder in 1949...

You don't have enough manpower to defeat the Soviets - and their resources are quite limitless, you know...

A nice little brake in this AAR you took. Well, the story is still well-written and it appears as if your making some good progress in Southern Ukraine in only 27 days. Hopefully you can manage to beat them still...

@ Enewald: I hope you're right, let this final struggle be our last.

@ Kurt_Steiner: I'd rather not have that happen, even though that would be truly remarkable and make for an ever more interesting game, the Third Invasion of Russia?

@ Jan Skrzetuski: Nothing is perfect, we were outnumbered then and now, but we fight either for victory or for the inevitable defeat, the Holy Fatherland presses on! And to qoute a famous line "Ten skilled soldiers will beat one-hundred poorly trained soldiers"

@ Dr Death: Forward until victory or defeat, the glorious Reich marches on...

I'm going to put this officially on hold, I'm sorry for everyone who was interested, reading and following along. Even though I've done rather well in this game I simply don't have the inspiration to continue writing or telling this story. It's on hold though... and I plan to eventually come back to this AAR someday, hopefully when I feel like I can write or tell a good story again, I simply feel like my ways have slipped from the beginning and I no longer wish to slap something together based on what I've done in my game. (And no, its not because the SU is too strong, actually -- Moscow is currently in German hands).

The Ebony Eagle

The Battle of Warsaw

Warsaw.jpg

"Soldats of the Glorious Third Reich! This is our glorious hour of deliverence! No longer will the German armies and soldiers be standing behind defensive walls, retreating back to the Vaterland. Now we have begun our great invasion of Russia once again. This time we are here to stay! Now, now look yourselves in the eye, and do what must be done to save your homeland!"

Peter Strause and Wilhelm Pelzer clutched their weapons as they were dug-in behind the ruins of an old Polish building, beside them hundreds of German soldiers were right with them organizing a defense from the Soviet counter-attack. Across the ruins of the streets of Warsaw, as the Soviets were slowly being stranggled and defeated, the Russians prepared a last ditch effort to achieve some sort of victory in Warsaw.

"Glorious Comrade Stalin had ordered us to hold of the enemy as long as possible. Help is coming but we must regain land holdings in Warsaw. We have no other use but to resort back to the tactics of Stalingrad. Not one step backwards!" the Soviet officer blew his whistle and nearly a thousand Soviet soldiers rushed forward out of their holding positions.

~ Back at the German lines the German army was waiting.

"Actung!"

German soldiers all around Peter and Wilhelm readied themselves. One soldier clutched his MG-42 with a staunt and crushing face.

"Here they come, fire!"

Peter aimed his Kar-98 from behind ruble and picked out a single charging Russian soldier and as he fired the Russian's head was knocked violently backwards as a red spurt of blood shot into the air. The entire German line violently layed waste to the attacking Russians.

Wilhelm leaned forward with a steilhandgranate in his hand and tossed it forward against the advancing Russians. Several Russians screamed as they were launched into the air by the grenade. The man with the MG violently sprayed the charging Russian lines with no mercy as every Russian soldier in the front line simply fell to the ground un-able to defend themselves against the German unslaught.

"Don't repent!" yelled a German officer as he saw the Russian attack begin to stagnate.

The Russians began to fall back in horror of what they just ran into. Wilhelm Pelzer and Peter Strause along with the rest of their German comrades continued to shot without remorse.

"Send the Bolshevik pigs back to hell!" screamed a German corporal standing right beside Wilhelm.

Wilhelm stood up from his position with Peter Strause beside him, he looked up and aimed at a Russian soldier who suddenly turned to him, both pulled their triggers and Wilhelm went flying backwards, blood spirting out from his body. Peter turned to Wilhelm and took hold of his friend.

"Hold on, I'll get you out. Medic!"

Wilhelm looked up at Peter as the battle still raged on, he smiled and was in a happier state than most after being shot, "They got me Peter," Wilhelm sayed as he began to look off to the side. "They got m...."

"I'm sorry about all of this Willy," said Peter as he placed his now deceased friend on the ruble below their feet. He began to cry as the guns in and Warsaw fell silent.

Glad to have it back! A pity that Willy had to die, but that is the nature of war...

@ Zauberfloete: Thanks, but as all know there are dear losses and sacrifices in war. Nothing comes out easy in such times of trouble.

@ Kurt_Steiner: War is hell, and war never changes. I was a bit upset myself to kill him off, added in a little more spice especially for Strause.

@ The Pippen: Thanks, it was on a prolonged sleep.