• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Spring 1902

dippy014gf4.gif

My moves Spring 1902

This turn I do not really know what I was thinking. The move I made to Burgundy from Munich with support from Belgium does of course make sense; there is not many other ways to continue the advance into France, and so does my move from Kiel to Denmark, even if it still would be better with a fleet there, but as I said, I did not think about that then. The moves with the fleets however I still wonder about. I tried to move to the North Sea with the fleet in Holland and I asked England if this was OK for them. Of course they said no. The object of moving to the North Sea I still do not recall. Probably I thought it would help in the offensive against France while not looking very closely on how that one should have made difference. If it had finally got to the front it would probably be too late to be useful and it would probably have disturbed English fleets that could have made progress into France. In the end I did not move the fleet respecting England and I am quite sure that was the right way to go. The other strange move was the one from Berlin to Kiel, but it was better than Holland to North Sea. What would that fleet do in Kiel? Probably I thought I would get the fleet to the sea and as my other fleet was in Holland I thought of some reason that my other fleet should also be there and that the Atlantic was the sea of my interest. I must remind you that there is some time press to submit all the order so those ideas might have arose under stress, because my fleets in the Atlantic would seriously gamble with my alliance with England. After declining to my slightly insane proposal England asked me to assure that Brest is to be theirs. I answer them that Brest and Iberia is theirs.

dippy015ym3.gif

Moves Spring 1902

Austria and Russia seems to have had some kind of agreement as none of them attacked each other and Austria believes so much in it that they do not bother to support their front troops even when they have nothing else to do. But I did not notice. In my interest lied mostly the moves of France. France moved the army in Picardy to Belgium which was a plausible move by them. On the other hand they did not care about moving to Burgundy at all so I easily moved in there. A more unexpected event was the one in Denmark. England moved a fleet to Denmark even though I think it is clearly German property. On the other side so have we not spoken about it so they might have seen it as not in my interest as I have failed to so far take it. However this meant both my Kiel army and my Berlin fleet did not move this turn. Now the most surprising part of the events in Denmark was that the Russian army in Sweden has supported a move somewhere. From the looks of it I would say it was a support for Norway to Denmark via convoy in North Sea. Apparently England had negotiated about Denmark with Russia and then stabbed their back. Fighting was to expect in the area. England had not spoken a word to me about this so I counted with that they were not expecting my support. I decided to stay out of the conflict, especially as it might calm down. However, I did not believe it would. My moves Kiel to Denmark and Berlin to Kiel failed. The army in Belgium also failed to support the attack on Burgundy from Munich but the attack still succeeded.

Last edited:
Why would the support from Belgium fail? Why does the British movement to Denmark take precedence? Elemtentary questions I know, but my knowledge of Diplomacy is rather haphazard.

That perfidious Albion!

Snake IV: ...After declining to my slightly insane proposal England asked me to assure that Brest is to be theirs. I answer them that Brest and Iberia is theirs...

that is the kind of move that would make any ally very nervous. doubly so for Engalnd. in retrospect, your building a fleet on the first build opportunity was a mistake. that fleet can only be effectively used against England! ! ! :( i rescind my earlier remark about that fleet being a 'normal' German build. [unless you plan to attack England]) [sry, but it has been over 12 years since i played my last game of Diplomacy. :eek:o ]

Snake IV: ...Austria and Russia seems to have had some kind of agreement...

those two guys can only attack effectively Turkey and/or Germany...

Snake IV: ...my interest lied mostly the moves of France.

why in the name of H@!! did you not land on a French build point (SC) when you had the opportunity? that would have given you an advantage over France in units as well as tie up that SC for two build phases! ! :confused:

Snake IV: ...A more unexpected event was the one in Denmark. England moved a fleet to Denmark even though I think it is clearly German property...

i can only give you my "take" on this. that is, your question about the North Sea rattled the English, and they took Denmark with Russian support. :eek:

best of luck
, methinks you will need it...

stnylan: Why would the support from Belgium fail?...

in Diplomacy, you have to have an advantage of one over your opponent to prevail [two to one, five to four, etc.] thus, the only thing that makes sense to me is that Russia supported the English move into Denmark. more specifically, the English fleet had to have support from something/someone to move into Denmark, because the German player tried to move there without support...

Now you got to ask yourself a question: are you being double-crossed or triple-crossed? ;)

Nice update. What will be your next move?

stnylan: ..Elementary questions I know, but my knowledge of Diplomacy is rather haphazard.

something i forgot until after i posted is that when a unit in Diplomacy losses a battle, it always retreats so long as there is a legal move for that unit [for retreat.] [except to disband, see below.]

for example, if you wanted to move a fleet from Denmark to the North Sea, the only possible way for your enemy to positively prohibit you from making that move is for him to move a fleet from the North Sea to Denmark! ! the reason for this effect is that you cannot retreat to the province from which your attacker came from. the other restrictions on retreat are that you cannot retreat to a province that was fought over, you cannot retreat to a province that contains a unit, you cannot retreat to a neutral province, and you cannot retreat to a province that you cannot legally move to (army to sea zone, fleet to non-coastal province.)

thus, the only way you can destroy an enemy unit is to dislodge it and deny it an avenue of retreat.

there is only one other way to remove a unit from the game of Diplomacy. that is for the owner to disband the unit. the owner can disband a unit in only two ways:

1. during a build phase (this restricts the owner from replacing the unit until a subsequent build phase.), and

2. the owner has the option to disband a unit that is forced to retreat (this allows the owner to build a replacement unit in the following build phase, if he meets the other requirements to build a unit.)

lastly, a unit that is out of supply must be disbanded by the owner during the build phase. it is possible that a player may have to disband more than one unit in a single build phase.

note that you can only build in your national SCs. you cannot build a unit in any other countries Supply Centers, even if you capture the whole country.

please correct any errors or omissions. :cool:

Stroph1: I wonder how France feels these days....

considering that France is an AI, i suspect that France has no 'feelings'... ;)

I know that I should have answered your comments but now I find myself here without having posted my update neither herer nor in Plain old Denmark and I havn't got a nights good sleep in ages so I really want to go to bed. I will give you the update and then I will answer you comments later. I know I must give you all the rules about combat but that will ahve to later too. What might have been relevant thouhg is that if two equal sized amries are attacking the same province none of them will enter it and thus staying in thier original provinces. That is what happend in Denmark. Russia supported a move that no one made.

Its cool, man. Sleep first, update later if you want to :)

Fall 1902

dippy016rk1.gif

My moves Fall 1902

I spoke with England saying to them that Denmark was mine. England answered that they would let me have Denmark, that they have had it with Russia. So I make my move Kiel to Denmark but to make sure I will have Denmark eventually I moved Berlin to the Baltic Sea to support if I did not make it to Denmark this fall. However I did not expect anyone moving to Denmark as I had spoken it out with England and as I did not think Russia and England had settled the conflict. But you never know. In the west I did not think very closely on the moves and did the ones that are natural for an offensive but not necessary the best. Belgium to Picardy with support from Burgundy. I moved Holland to Belgium probably because that I felt it is offensive against France but I did not look upon if it would help for any gain in the future. France was also threatened by England now that they had two fleets on the “front”. That meant four attacking units and France having four units to defend with, but in very poor defensive positions. I expected France to be eliminated in the near future.

Suddenly Austria said: “I can’t this time!” I am not sure if it was to Russia or Italy.

dippy017qc3.gif

Moves Fall 1902

Italy made a go against Turkey, a good move especially as Turkey was AI. Austria’s moves made no sense to me. Did he want to get beaten by Russia? Seriously he might have got out of time. England seemed to have fooled Russia again to do the same move and did themselves stronger their position against Sweden; they did the same in the Atlantic against Brest. France looked like they were building up a shore defence against the British which was not a very bad move. It just did not seem like they had counted with my continued offensive. All my moves succeeded. The Austrian army in Budapest was defeated but it could not retreat so it was therefore disbanded. Austria did however manage to defeat the Turkish army in Bulgaria which retreated to Constantinople. The French fleet in Mid Atlantic had to retreat and it did so to Gascony.

dippy018us6.gif

Retreats Fall 1902

Last edited:
Wow, Austria's really messed up! Those moves make so little sense it's not funny...

All go in the Balkans! You look very westward orientated. Surely you will start to have consider what's happening east and south before two much longer?

Duke of Wellington: Is there any cost to taking somewhere like Denmark? What happens when two units move into the same province as is occuring in Serbia(?) between the OE and Austria?

no cost of any kind to take any province in the game. in HOI terms, you start out at war with everyone! ! :D

as per my post above, if either unit that is trying to move to the same province as another unit, then the unit with support will prevail. if both unit have the same support, then neither unit will prevail, same as if neither unit had support. when both units have support, then the unit with the most legal support will prevail and capture the province.

excellent updates! ! :cool:

Great update! I hope you slept well :)

What are your upcoming plans? Besides win the game I mean ;)

GrimReaper said:
Great update! I hope you slept well :)

What are your upcoming plans? Besides win the game I mean ;)
Absolutly no idea.

GhostWriter, both latest post and the one before: Gaah, I know that you're a better Dippy player than me. Help :p . I would surley have been able to do slightly better moves if it hadn't been for the absolute stress. The others did also have little time so they did probably not notice every move.

Duke of Wellington: The only bad boy is in the minds of the players. What is happening in Serbia is a standoff. Two units with equal legal support are trying to move into the same provine results in none of them being able to enter.

stnylan:I would, but what I did might have been something else. :D There is no pause button in Dippy. :wacko:

anonymous4401: I found an article in Paradox dippy site whcih is made by Edi Birsan, you probably dont know that but it can't be much better, at least better than if I would tell you the rules. It is here If still is something that you havn't got just ask.

Build 1902

Because of my safe moves this year France got a build this time too. However as I had an allied and France was AI there should still have been no problem, it should at its height only slow down the offensive a little. I myself did also get one build but my ally did not get any at all. The Russian giant in the east could now build three units this year as they failed to do their two the last time. Apparently they did not suffer too badly from it. Both Italy and Austria were on the plus side with one but Austria was unable to build. Turkey was being slaughtered and was now on only two supply centres, two back from last year.

dippy019ey6.gif

Bulids 1902

I built a fleet in Kiel this turn. Someday England and I would fight and then I did not want to be totally land based. Although I did not check them then Russia’s builds seed fair except for the St Petersburg build on the South Coast. A North Coast build would have been reasonable when thinking on the English but now the only thing this unit could do is fight me. It might have been a mistake however. Turkey seemed to be aiming to take Smyrna back. I would not count with their success. As one would expect France made a build in Paris.

dippy020va5.gif

Russian bulids 1902

Last edited: