• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Bear

2200 March 6th 1947.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Mukden, Manchukuo.

Operation Tedious continued to keep Osami busy as another landing took place along the Siberian coast.​

mar6472200gr1.jpg

This particular invasion would be short lived as the three Cavalry divisions arrived in Vladivostok. They were soon making their way back towards the waiting Transport ships as Soviet forces attacked them immediately. They had achieved their goal as the enemy troops in Chongyin were forced to move north again preventing any move against the Japanese defences in North Korea.​

mar7470100gr1.jpg

At 0100 hours Polish Interceptors caught the Japanese Dive bomber group operating around Xinjing over Andong province. There would be a change in operational doctrine as a result even though the bombers managed to escape with minimal casualties. Mj. General Watanabe and his fully upgraded Interceptor wing would now accompany the bombers to provide protection. Fukui and his upgrading wing would move back to South Korea to provide random air cover when needed.​

0400 March 7th 1947.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamato, In Transit.

Ozawa was heading back to the Gulf of Mannar when he received a report from Admiral Ito who commanded a Submarine flotilla in the Nine Degree Channel.​

mar7470400gr1.jpg

The Admiral had decided to engage the enemy Transport fleet which was only defended by one Destroyer Division. There was little chance of the Submarines causing much damage but that would be taken care of by other forces. Ichimaru and Genda had flown from their base in the Fiji Islands and were also hunting shipping in the area from their new base in Colombo.​

0400 March 7th 1947.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

More enemy troops had entered Erenhot which meant another request for support to Terauchi from Higashikuni.​

mar7470400gr2.jpg

General Nishio led the latest attack against the province as sixteen Japanese divisions forced the smaller Soviet force to retreat. There were more enemy troops heading into the province which would also need to be dealt with.​

mar7470600gr1.jpg

The Middle East was causing less problems than had been originally anticipated with a general advance now underway. Mj. General Kanda had captured Babolsar and now attacked east towards Bandar Abbas where he managed to overcome the single enemy division defending the province with the help of the Tactical bombers and CA Division 3.​

mar7470900gr1.jpg

At 0900 hours things turned worse in the center as Chandra Bose was attacked again in Guyuan province. Higashikuni had no choice but to order a withdraw south towards Pingliang province which at least would maintain a defensive line in this part of the front. The Red Army's Armoured forces were beginning to push forward in ever increasing numbers in this area. Hopefully the meeting scheduled for the following morning could provide some relief for Higashikuni as it was becoming ever more apparent that North China Army was going to struggle to hold if the pressure continued as it was.​

mar7471700gr1.jpg

Another advance in Iraq caused a counter attack by Allied forces as Japanese troops occupied Najaf province. They would hold with ease as the single commanderless enemy division called off its own advance shortly afterwards.​

mar7472100gr1.jpg

At 2100 hours the Submarine battle in the Nine Degree Channel ended abruptly. The Submarines had caused no damage but the bombers had managed to inflict some. The American fleet fled one hour after the guns of BB Division 1 opened up on them. IJN Musashi sank the 8th Destroyer Division as IJN Yamato did the same to the Sam Houston Transport Flotilla. Ozawa would continue south east to protect the Gulf of Mannar and Ceylon.​

mar8470000gr1.jpg

An up to date bombing report on Yuling showed that the Soviet build up in the center was increasing as new troops arrived from Bayan Nur to the north west.​

0000 March 8th 1947.

The senior commanders of the Imperial Japanese Army as well as Minister Jun for the Air Force convened an emergency meeting in Higashikuni's Headquarters on March 8th. Those present were:

Chief of Staff Tanigawa.
Chief of the Army Satoru.
Chief of the Air Force Jun.
Commander North China Army Higashikuni.
Commander Kwantung Army Teruachi.
Deputy Commander North China Army Sugiyama.
Deputy Commander Kwantung Army Hata.

"Why don't you enlighten us to the problems your facing Field Marshall Higashikuni." Tanigawa began the meeting.

"With pleasure Sir." Higashikuni replied. "And thank you all for coming at such short notice. My reports over the last few days have shown an increase of Soviet activity across almost the entire front covered by North China Army. They have taken advantage of the clearing weather and I have had to withdraw against overwhelming odds on both flanks with more enemy forces also pushing in the center around Lanzhou province. I do not have the forces at my disposal to block the flank attack to the east which is driving a wedge between North China Army and the Kwantung Army.

In order for North China Army to handle the situation on its own I would be required to withdraw most of the forces in the Middle East and India. This is, of course, not something I wish to do as it would give the Allies a reprieve when we have them firmly under control in that area."

"You won't be withdrawing anything from the Middle East, of that you can be certain." Tanigawa stated.

"As I thought Sir. To sum up we have a hole in our lines and I cannot plug it completely with my own troops without risking the loss of Kalgan and Mengkukuo as a result." concluded Higashikuni.

"Short and to the point. I trust you all received the reports that I forwarded to you all to get you up to speed on the situation?" Satoru asked the assembled Commanders who all nodded to confirm that they had read them. "Good. Field Marshall Terauchi has a proposal to possibly contain the current situation so I will let him fill you all in."

"Thank you Minister Satoru. The biggest problem is a lack of divisions along the divide between our two armies, this is something I think I can fix without making my own defences weak enough that the Red Army can take too much advantage. You have that map we made up Field Marshall Hata?" asked Terauchi.

"Yes." Hata replied as he unfolded it on the large table provided for the meeting.​

mar8471700gr1.jpg

"I propose that the nine divisions commanded by General Nishio in Changde move to Kalgan to strengthen its defences and provide a large force to launch attacks against any open flank that the enemy might leave. To cover Changde, which has seen no need for defence at all lately, I will move my Armour and Motorised troops from Xilinhot. This will give me six divisions to protect that province but will reduce the defences of Xilinhot to fifteen divisions."

"That could be a problem as it is a little vunerable." stated Satoru.

"Yes it could be a problem I agree. I do have a defensive line behind it though as we hold both Mukden and Chifeng provinces. The loss of Xilinhot would actually shorten our line somewhat but could bring extra pressure on the provinces behind it. We would hold a defensive line that is indicated by the dotted line if we lose Xilinhot which I consider to be strong enough for the time being. Operation Tedious is causing my opponents untold problems and they are finding it very difficult to muster sufficient strength in one area to launch attacks of their own.

Should the Red Army advance from Datong towards Baoding, which is likely, then the three Armoured divisions that move to Changde would move to Beiping to protect the airbase."

"What about the hole in Shijiashuang province." asked Higashikuni.

"I can take care of that one for you Field Marshall Higashikuni." came the confident reply from Jun. "Field Marshall Terauchi appears to feel he can hold with relative ease for now which means if those Soviet troops set foot outside of Datong they will be getting numerous visits from the Dive bomber group currently operating for the Kwantung Army. That would be in addition to the Dive bomber group you have at your disposal already of course. If absolutely necessary, and it looks like it might be judging from the latest attacks, then I will also make the Tactical bomber group operating in Siberia available as well. I will leave it up to you if you wish to bring the bombers back from the Middle East as well."

"With the support your offering I should be able to leave them there for a while." Higashikuni replied.

"You can have every aircraft I possess if it stops the Soviets taking an airfield near the front line. Right now I have almost the entire front line that does not need defensive air cover and that might change rather dramatically if the Red Army were to manage to take an airbase or two."

"It seems as though Field Marshall Terauchi has possibly solved the current problem but I am fairly sure that others will crop up as the Red Army is still not totally deployed against us." Tanigawa stated.

"I would offer another option if its required if I may." Satoru asked.

"Of course."

"The current plan that has been outlined does not stengthen our force size at all but it is possible to do that as well if we weaken other areas. We have eleven divisions guarding the Hawaiian Islands and nine in Australia."

"That is the sort of thing that the Emperor would need to permit and is a little unlikely." Tanigawa said.

"True enough but it is a possiblity nonetheless." replied Satoru.

"I think we will stick to the plan that we can handle ourselves rather than allowing the United States to possibly reverse its fortunes. Besides I hear that the Imperial Japanese Navy is a little busy right now and Minister Osami might not be able to spare enough ships to move those troops. I will let you Gentlemen handle the orders but you have my authority to carry out your plan Field Marshall Terauchi." Tanigawa stated.

"Thank you Sir." replied Terauchi.

"I take it you have something to drink around here?" Tanigawa asked Higashikuni.

"I think I can find something to your taste somewhere." Higashikuni replied.​

it is getting harder. you should think on some minor encirclements. if they go beyond Datong, you can invade Datong and encircle some troops. it is not gamey and as you mentioned, invading coasts is a little bit gamey after doing again and again.

and if i were you, i didn`t send the planes from Middle East to China. their mission is also very important. instead, move the ones from Siberia as Jun offered.

and one question? what percent are your CAS upgraded till now?

good luck

I wouldn´t consider Operation Tedious as gamey. Remble is playing Götterdämmerung, Japan, very hard. Use any tactic you can to beat the enemy, there is absolutely no need to restrain yourself.

I wonder where the American carriers steaming toward Ceylon in the update before this one are by now. Your nav´s did not find them... did they turn around? Ah, well, we will find out sooner or later :)

Do you have plans to start upgrading your INF soon? The Russians are using more and more '45, and Americans are even showing up in '47.

The '45 version takes oil, and from your last screenshot, you have a 125 / day surplus, but I think this is with some planes grounded and ships in the docks. On top of that, how much is from trade with Venezuela? So can your oil supply handle it, if you loose your trading partners? Will taking Iraq/Iran/Saudi Arabia(?) solve that problem? Other options?

Pier

I too think upgrading the infantry would be a good idea at this point. Moving just your armor and motorized to hold that provence is not the best idea though is it as they have lower defense ability no? I'd strip 3 divisions from hawaii/australia both and you have a two corp reserve force :cool:

Terauchi's plan will solve the problem for now, but I somewhat doubt if Minister Jun can take down all that the Soviets will be throwing through that gap...

A very interesting update. It is good to see such meetings from time to time. I only just noticed that Major von Mauser changed his flag, too! I take it that he is now an Austro-Fascist?

Surely by now the ANZACs have come to realise the benefit of Nipponese rule and will be pacified. Sushi and kabuki, the modern-day equivalent of bread and circuses! I also wish you continued luck as things become ever more serious.

i agree with genbrad if you took 3 from hawaii and australia or even just from australia that small force could help in imense ways for shoring up your defense. its good to see you are being pushed though :D

where do you plan to stop once you take out syria? at the suez canal, or just keep pushing west.

good update

The defensive operation you have seems to be a good one. Hopefully you can get the tropps there in time. Should be able to, unless the Soviets decide to mave all there troops at the same pace.

A full fledged invasion of Vladivostok would be quite grand, hopefully enough troops can be scraped up.

Ruodnane said:
I only just noticed that Major von Mauser changed his flag, too! I take it that he is now an Austro-Fascist?

Hehe. :p

Austro = Maybe

Fascist = No

I've decided to start a serious game as Austria lately, and felt it was time for a flag change.

Edit: You are also the first person to correctly use my name also. In all my other forums I am Major von Mauser (although Now I'm going by von Mauser on newer forums, a less bulky name), but Paradox dosen't like long names I guess.

A cookie for you. > o <

Encirclements Gamey?

I think the idea of encirclements being gamey is ridiculous personally. The Germans lost an entire army west of Stalingrad due to a beautifully executed encirclement by the Soviets. Military history is full of the devestating defeats that have occured when one force has encircled another, cut off their supply and either crushed them or forced them to surrender. I agree with the other post that recommends any and all tactics be allowed under the circumstances.

unfortunately Remble has very few armoured divisions to make even small encirclements relatively easy...not to mention the terrain he's fighting in slows this whole process down...eventually he'll be able to do it but leaving holes in his defense now to be able to do this is risky I think at best...
I personally don't think encirclements are gamey with his current situtation but I think we can all agree the decision is up to Remble....hopefully the advance to the rear (its not a full on retreat just yet ;) ) will reverse itself when the russian army is reduced to an on par level with japan later this year...

The Japanese sound like they have a good plan going, although I am surprised they weren't drinking tea while studying maps.

Ruodnane said:
Surely by now the ANZACs have come to realise the benefit of Nipponese rule and will be pacified. Sushi and kabuki, the modern-day equivalent of bread and circuses! I also wish you continued luck as things become ever more serious.

Japanese Person: Since you live under our glorious flag, we shall bring kabuki to the masses.
An Average ANZAC Person: Kabu...what?
Japanese Person: It's a traditional form of Japanese theather.
An Average ANZAC Person: But we live in the Outback. We don't have a theather.
Japanese Person: Hmm...it might be hard to perform kabuki without a theather. I will tell you what: just wait until the cardgame manufacturer Nintendo gets into the videogame business in about thirty or fourty years. Then we shall bring jumping plumbers and size-increasing mushrooms to the masses. :D

Just a quick (and judging by the posts here I'm not alone) bravo after a well-spent few hours cathing up on this. Looking forward to the next update!

harezmi - It is getting harder certainly and Spring is not really here yet. We will see what develops in Datong. My CAS have not begun to upgrade yet as I am waiting for the Interceptors to finish. Interceptors are higher priority as they are not much use at level 7 but they can do the full range of missions at level 8.

Thurak - It is not completely gamey no as I mentioned in my last replies it does force the Soviets to use some troops to defend their coastline which they would have done in real life. The confusion to the AI is the problem more than the number of troops involved. You won't have to wait long to see where the American carriers went :)

Pier - Welcome to the forum and this AAR if it has not already been said :) I will be trying to upgrade sometime this year with the research beginning in the next round as my current projects finish. The enemy is becoming a little too advanced to leave them at the 1943 model. Finding the Oil for them might be a problem. I may end up having to keep most of the IJN in port to conserve Oil when the time comes, we shall see.

genbrad - Reducing the garrisons in Hawaii and Australia is certainly an option but not one I really wish to take. Moving troops from Australia will add to my TC a little from partisans and it will increase the chance of them revolting.

I have to be very careful with Hawaii as I could easily end up losing my troops there permanently if the Americans get a foothold. They could all be captured before I can get a large enough fleet there to save them if I weaken it too much. If the main US carrier fleet showed up then I could only use my bombers to save the islands.

robou - Jun doesn't have to kill all of them just enough for the IJA to handle the rest.

Ruodnane - If I was using Armageddon then the ANZAC's would probably not need a garrison by now but its one of the less pleasant sides of DD that they have to stay there. Nine divisions is a small price to pay for the effectiveness of bombers though.

BobaFett696 - Thank you. I am still not sure how far I will go in the Middle East. The only certainty is the removal of Iraq if possible.

Maj. von Mauser - The defence is fairly logical as the Kwantung Army is holding out fine for now. I have 6 divisions total for Operation Tedious and no more can be spared so it will remain hit and run until I find it Tedious to continue :)

Chipseal - Encirclements are not gamey when I use them as you can easily see from my other AAR. I use small ones which are more in keeping with what could realistically be achieved but I do think the massive encirclements some people use are gamey. Cutting off a few dozen divisions is not so bad but cutting off an entire army is something else.

There are quite a few things I do that many would consider gamey, it is all down to individual interpritation.

Cyphers Fury - As you may have gathered from both my AAR's I like to fight with a full line going forwards or backwards. I hate leaving gaps anywhere although I did leave the Prippet Marshes open as Germany but that was a special case :)

Nathan Madien - Soldiers tend to be less inclined to drink tea during meetings, diplomats like to do that more often. Tea might also have been a little weak for the General Staff.

Le Jones - Thank you and welcome to both the forums and this little AAR :)

Update to follow ...

The Bear

2100 March 8th 1947.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamato, Gulf of Mannar.

Ozawa's Battlefleet arrived in the Gulf of Mannar on schedule in the hope of encountering the American Carrier Task Force that had been heading towards Ceylon. Ozawa preferred to engage the enemy under favourable conditions to negate much of the range advantage the Carriers had over his Battleships. He did not have to wait long for his lookouts to report the presence of enemy ships in the area and fortune would smile on him as conditions were also to his liking.​

mar8472100gr1.jpg

USS Constellation and USS America were less than 100 miles away when the initial reports were received and Ozawa set about closing that distance as quickly as he could to bring his older Battleships into range.​

mar8472200gr1.jpg

By 2200 hours all of his Battleships as well as the two Light Carriers were able to engage the enemy Carriers. Most of his ships targetted the escorting Destroyers which were shielding the Carriers from direct attacks. The massive Battleship IJN Musashi would mistakenly pick out the Light Carrier IJN Zuiho as its target which would greatly reduce the firepower directed towards the enemy and also increase the damage sustained by BB Division 1.

Only one ship would sink during the encounter as the weather hampered both sides. IJN Yamato sank the 5th Destroyer Division with minimal damage to either American Carrier.​

mar9470100gr2.jpg

The damage to BB Division 1 would be more severe as IJN Yamato received heavy damage from both Carriers towards the end of the engagement. IJN Zuiho had also been badly damaged by fire from IJN Musashi which had failed to alter its target. Both damaged ships would head to Colombo for repairs as Ozawa moved his Flagship onboard IJN Musashi in the hope of improving its gunnery.

The American Carriers headed to the west and Ozawa would wait to see where they went next rather than try to chase the much faster fleet.​

0400 March 9th 1947.

The meeting had been satisfactory for Higashikuni who could concentrate on other areas while he waited for the reinforcements from the Kwantung Army to make their way west to cover his right flank.​

mar9470400gr1.jpg

The Red Army continued to increase the pressure on his center as a large army arrived in Jinchang province to the north west of Lanzhou. The advance provided a third avenue of attack on the twelve Japanese divisions dug into the mountains of Xining in addition to directly threatening Lanzhou and its airbase. The situation was not getting any easier for Higashikuni as the snow slowly began to melt throughout the region.​

1400 March 9th 1947.
The Skies Above the Nine Degree Channel, Indian Ocean.

Ichimaru and Genda were out looking for the enemy Carriers as they withdrew from BB Division 1 and they did not have much trouble finding them.​

mar9471400gr1.jpg

Ichimaru sank the remaining damaged Destroyer Division leaving just the two Carriers afloat. Admiral Ito decided to try his luck against the Carriers as well but he was ordered to withdraw as dawn approached after suffering minor damage. Ozawa was pleased to find out that the enemy was moving back towards the Gulf of Mannar and the waiting BB Division 1.​

0100 March 10th 1947.
Naval Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

The brief occupation of Vladivostok had brought some relief to Japanese forces in North Korea and Osami had some other plans to keep the enemy off guard.​

mar10470100gr2.jpg

The three Cavalry divisions that had hastily left Vladivostok were on their way ashore again on March 10th as they headed towards the snow covered mountains of Khabarovsk. There were enemy troops in the vicinity but not in sufficient quantity to counter attack immediately. Khabarovsk also had a fair amount of Energy reserves which might be able to provide some assistance to Japanese industry if the province could be held for a while.​

0300 March 10th 1947.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Musashi, Gulf of Mannar.

Dawn had just arrived in the Gulf of Mannar on another rainy morning when the lookouts from BB Division 1 spotted the two American Carriers in the distance. The distance was too great to engage as was normal but Ozawa still had one Light Carrier in his fleet which would provide enough cover to allow his remaining Battleships to close.​

mar10470300gr1.jpg

The battle would be brief as the large guns of Ozawa's Battleships tore into the almost defenceless Carriers. Within two hours the USS Constellation had been sunk by IJN Nagato and IJN Musashi had made up for its previous performance by sinking the USS America. The waters around Ceylon were a great deal safer for Japanese forces as a result and BB Division 1 would remain in the Gulf of Mannar to provide protection for the island for the time being.​

0600 March 10th 1947.
The Skies Above Abadan, Persia.

Minister Jun had made two Interceptor wings available to Higashikuni to try and halt the constant Allied Strategic bombardment in the Middle East. Both wings had required some time to reorganise in Ahmadabad before being moved forward to Abadan where they would require even more time to recover on the almost totally destroyed runways of the province.​

mar10470600gr1.jpg

They would not be allowed to rest as long as they wished as an American Strategic bomber wing targetted their airbase. Saboru would lead the Interceptors with support from Tanaka's wing as they flew up to meet the invading bombers. This would be the first real test of the more modern J7W2 Turbojet aircraft against the Allied bombers and their Escorts. The results would be very satisfactory for both Jun and Higashikuni as the Interceptors inflicted massive losses on the bombers.

Within two hours one enemy squadron had been completely destroyed with a second faring almost as badly. The final hour of dogfighting would see a third bomber squadron reduced to almost nothing as the Interceptors ripped them to pieces. Saboru's Interceptors would receive only minor damage in return with Tanaka's wing suffering moderate casualties. One enemy bomber wing would be out of action for a very long time but there were plenty more to deal with and the Interceptors were not in good enough condition to take them all on.​

mar10470900gr1.jpg

Fukui was also in action over North Korea as he became involved in another dogfight with Novikov and his Dive bombers over Hamhung province. Even with the less modern Ki-202 Interceptors the results were still very one sided as they had been on every occasion with encounters with Soviet bombers. None of the bomber squadrons would be totally destroyed but they all sustained heavy damage as Fukui led his Interceptors back to base almost completely intact.​

mar10472300gr1.jpg

Shima was providing more up to date intelligence on Soviet forces west of Sakhalin Island as the new day dawned. He targetted the single Armoured division heading west in Nikolayevsk province with only what looked to be minor Red Army forces in the area although there was an unknown concentration of enemy troops to the south in Komsomolsk.

More Japanese aircraft would see combat in the early hours of March 11th as Air General Nakajima led his Dive bombers towards Xinjing.​

mar11470600gr1.jpg

The Polish Interceptor wing had been reinforced by a fourth squadron and they probably had high expectations of damaging Nakajima and his bombers. They would be very much mistaken as Watanabe's Interceptor wing was accompanying the bombers. The bombers did sustain moderate damage during the encounter but the much more modern Japanese Interceptors inflicted a large amount of damage on the attacking enemy aircraft. Watanabe would remain with the bombers indefinately to provide similar support if needed as his pilots increased their flying hours strafing ground targets.​

0600 March 11th 1947.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Musashi, Gulf of Mannar.

There were an increasing number of reports reaching Ozawa of enemy ships being sighted in various places throughout the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Some were minor and could be ignored but some were of more significance.​

mar11470600gr2.jpg

Admiral Glassford had brought USS Forrestal back to the central Pacific with some damage still visible from his previous visit. Patrolling aircraft from Eniwetok Island found him as he headed south after passing the island to the north. Ozawa would order more patrols in the area to try and keep a close eye on Glassford's movements. He also ordered CA Division 1 to sail from Truk and hold in the East Carolines to await developments.​

mar11472000gr1.jpg

Carrier Group C had been chasing a Brazilian Transport Flotilla for several days when it headed for the safety of Mascate. It would manage to escape from the small harbour and sneak passed the Carriers off the coast without being heavily damaged.

Another enemy Carrier would be sighted at 2300 hours on March 11th.​

mar11472300gr1.jpg

HMCS Warrior was encountered in Ishikari Bay by Siamese Tactical bombers as it headed towards Vladivostok Bay. The Japanese Destroyers guarding Vladivostok headed for the safety of the nearest port while BC Division 1 set sail from Tokyo to try and catch the Canadian Carrier and its Escort.​

mar12470000gr1.jpg

An hour later USS Forrestal was picked up again by patrolling aircraft to the north of the Carolines. Admiral Takasu was ordered to move the reinforced CA Division 1 to intercept Glassford in the Central Carolines.​

Wow, those American carriers were scary! At night and in bad weather half sinking the Yamato... luckily your bombers could rip the remaining DDs apart and let your battleships fire on the carriers!

And what's up with the Canadians? Even they are sending carriers to the home lands!

Remble said:
Carrier Group C had been chasing a Brazilian Transport Flotilla for several days when it headed for the safety of Mascate. It would manage to escape from the small harbour and sneak passed the Carriers off the coast without being heavily damaged.​

Good lord! The IJN can smash up American and British navies but they couldn't sink one lousy Brazilian Transport Flotilla? That's a comedy right there! :rofl:

Japanese Admiral: Those Brazilian Transport Flotillas! They are just too quick for us! We can't catch up to them!

Hmm, worrying amounts of American Naval activity; looks like you need to sink the new Ships. You might have sunk the old USN, but now they have only the latest ships, and you still have the old ones. You need to update your fleet...