• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Situation for the North China Army certainly looks less favourable than that of Kwantung Army, but it do not doubt you Field Marshal's skills in containing the Soviet offensives that will no doubt start soon...

Exellent update as always Remble.. It's always reassuring to hear the voice of Hirohito and his steafast optimism.. Erh, I mean Realism.. :D

Btw.. I've seen several images dissapear both here and in your finished German AAR.. Seems the bandwith's been exceeded on one or more of your photobucket accounts again.. ;)

al_faris said:
6 hours? good god when this aar was around page fifty or so i had to spend 10 days just to catch up. you must be one hella of speed a reader :D

upps I meant 60 t took about 25-35 days 2 hours aday and needless to say I stopped reading any othere aar at the same time.

also if you manage to annex persia and iraq do you intendon contiuing to the suze channel and through egipt or is this just a raid?

Last edited:
It's nice to see your energy in the positive.

Could you give us an overview of all your trades? Just to see how you accomplished this.

Mattabesta said:
upps I meant 60 t took about 25-35 days 2 hours aday and needless to say I stopped reading any othere aar at the same time.

me, too. i`m just reading this one. it is enough for me, i wish he can write more often but i can not ask for that, i know how hard work he is already dealing with. we are complaining about the time we spent on reading and when i think just a moment that how much time he needs for doing this, including the playing time, i am ashamed on complaining or asking for him to write more often...

wait a second, i think i already asked him to write more often :eek:o

rembel makes VERY detailed aars with like 5 updates for each moth if there is intnse fighting while othere players have a whole year in ine update I would generally like the qik version but reading this aar carefully finally made me able to win atleast a singel naval battel.

safferli, Edzako - I haven't looked at the American build queue for ages but the last time I did it was littered with CV's and aircraft. 16 carriers was the number I seem to remember them having under construction but this was in 1945 so it could be even more now.

Thurak - Thank you. Losing Venezuela is worse for Japan than Germany unfortunately. Germany only needs their Oil whereas Japan needs the Energy as well. So far my South American trading partners are staying out of it though.

robou - North China Army is a lot more vunerable than it looks to be.

Doge Robert - Thank you. One of my photobucket accounts went over limit. It is not the one I am using for this right now but it was being used for a lot of this AAR earlier, hence some screenshots are missing. They will be back on the 24th which is when that account gets its monthly reset and I won't be using it again for this AAR as it cannot handle the load of two AAR's it seems.

Onlyhestands - That might be my chosen option but we shall see nearer the time. I might want the Red Army to invade Persia but I am not sure yet.

Mattabesta - The only thing that I am certain of is the annexation of Iraq. Persia and Suez will require some more knowledge of the enemy positions which I do not have yet. If things go badly in Asia then my attacks in the Middle East will be halted as I would be forced to remove my air support.

Maj. von Mauser - Positive Energy is only temporary but its a welcome change. I shall have Minister Mamoru give an extended trade briefing during next months report :)

harezmi - I don't mind people asking for updates as it happens very rarely. It doesn't get you anywhere of course when I can't access the internet to respond :D

Mattabesta - I am fairly detailed yes :) It makes it easier to explain why I do things in certain ways and it can help other players, which is part of the reason I write it this way.

Update to follow ...

The Bear

1800 March 1st 1947.
Naval Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Osami dispatched a Destroyer fleet to investigate the coastline around Vladivostok as he looked for more opportunities to harass the Red Army and prevent it from mustering its full forces in Manchuria.​

mar1471800gr.jpg

The large army that had moved to Vladivostok to reclaim the province was on the move. Chongyin looked to be receiving a large amount of reinforcements which could easily threaten the smaller Japanese defensive forces in North Korea. So far the snow covered mountains had prevented any further incursions into this area.​

1900 March 1st 1947.
North China Army. Lanzhou, China.

General Shima, commander of the forces defending Yushu province in north western China, looked out on a clear evening as he inspected his troops and thier defensive positions.

"It is a pleasant evening General." one of his soldiers commented.

"Unfortunately." Shima replied as the sound of distant large calibre guns was heard. Shima knew what the change in weather would bring and he would be the first Japanese commander to witness the Red Army's intentions for the Spring.​

mar1471900gr.jpg

The clearing of the snow in the province was greeted by a large attack led by Field Marshall Vassilevskij. Higashikuni would order Shima to withdraw to the mountains to the south east without waiting until morning. North China Army had had a relatively easy year in 1946 but it looked like 1947 was going to be much harder on them.​

mar2471300gr1.jpg

The Middle East was still moving along well for Operation Komodo as the Tactical bombers switched to attacking enemy troops along the Indian border. Nearly the entire Allied force was heading back towards Iraq as their supply lines came under threat, which removed any possibility of an assault into India for the time being.​

0000 March 3rd 1947.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Mukden, Manchukuo.

The added threat to the right flank of the Kwantung Army was a concern for Terauchi but unlike North China Army he had help from the Imperial Japanese Navy which was causing his opponent all sorts of problems. The Kwantung Army had spent much of the past year maintaining an unsteady equilibrium with a far larger enemy force and had given up very little ground in that time. Terauchi was confident of keeping the Red Army at bay for the foreseeable future but it would require constant vigilence and the standard Japanese policy of attacking weaker forces during the build up phase of possible attacks along the line.​

mar3470000gr1.jpg

The Dive bombers provided regular intelligence reports during their various missions and another report would arrive at Terauchi's Headquarters which would inform him of the current enemy strength in Xinjing province. Multiple counter attacks had managed to keep this force under control and had prevented any possible flanking attacks on other parts of the Japanese defences.​

mar3470000gr2.jpg

A report from the Tactical bombers operating further north revealed more Soviet troops moving south towards Manchuria which could destabalise the defences if enough were allowed to arrive. Minister Osami had a few plans to try and break up any such reinforcing of the Red Army in Manchuria.​

0100 March 3rd 1947.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

Spring was arriving far too quickly for Higashikuni's liking as his Army was defending further south than the Kwantung Army which meant the snow would melt along his line first. One attack had already forced a withdraw on his left flank and the report he was currently reading would mean a much much bigger problem would need to be solved. A message made its way to the Imperial Army Headquarters in Tokyo requesting a meeting between Army Commanders in Asia and the High Command as soon as possible.​

mar3470100gr1.jpg

Higashikuni was not one to panic under any circumstances but when a large hole appeared in his lines he was quick to request assiatance before things became untenable. Field Marshall Shaposhnikov had launched a major attack towards Datong where General Dohihara was the latest Japanese commander to lose the protection of the weather. The loss of Datong would directly threaten the capital of Mengkokuo which could result in the loss of an Ally as well as a general breakthrough in North China Army's defensive line.

Of the options available to Higashikuni he would choose the the only one he really could. Dohihara was ordered to withdraw towards Taiyuan province which would leave two undefended provinces to the east. Higashikuni knew that he had no forces to close a gap in his lines but Terauchi might be able to assist in securing his right flank. This is why he chose to defend Taiyuan as he hoped the Kwantung Army could reach the provinces closer to it.

Japanese Dive bombers would be ordered to try and reduce the twenty one Soviet divisions heading for the hole in North China Army's lines.​

0200 March 4th 1947.
Kwantug Army Headquarters. Mukden, Manchukuo.

Terauchi was advised of the situation in northern China quickly and he had a few ideas that he would bring to the meeting of the General Staff. While he awaited the timing of such a meeting he had a few matters of his own to deal with.​

mar4470200gr1.jpg

The enemy build up in Xinjing needed to be neutralised before it got out of hand. One of the enemy divisons had been destroyed by the Dive bombers with the remaining seven being forced to retreat by twenty four Japanese divisions supported by the bombers. The Tactical bombers had switched targets to Spassk-Dalnij to the north of Vladivostok to prevent the enemy reinforcing the area.

The Red Army had left Vladivostok undefended again as it sought to build up its forces along the front line. Osami was not one to delay action when it was needed.​

mar4471400gr1.jpg

Three Cavalry divisions supporting Operation Tedious began to board landing craft as they headed back to Vladivostok to point out to the Soviet High Command that they were going to have to defend the province if they wished to keep it. The only other option the Soviets had was to build a Navy and that was not going to happen any time soon.​

0000 March 5th 1947.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

The orders to attack the enemy forces moving towards Datong was ignored by Japanese Dive bombers. They had a higher priority target that they chose to attack.​

mar5470000gr1.jpg

Soviet Armour had arrived in Yuling and these troops took priority until someone informed the bomber commanders otherwise. That would not happen as they were the greatest threat to Japanese forces and would remain so. The bombers had standing orders to attack Armour in their area as a preference and they invariably chose these targets.

China was not the only area Higashikuni was in command of. India and the Middle East were also his responsibility. The landings in the Persian Gulf had taken most of the pressure off India but that did not mean it was safe as the Americans decided to remind Higashikuni as he concentrated on other areas.​

mar5471000gr1.jpg

Lt. General Uchiyama received some more unwelcome visitors at 1000 hours on March 5th. BB Division 1 had moved towards the Gulf to assist Carrier Group C in hunting down Transport fleets leaving the way open for an attack. The American Infantry divisions had been modernised and were now a much bigger threat to Uchiyama and his defences in Colombo. Not even these enemy troops were likely to succeed against the fortress of Colombo of course as they had neither air or naval support on this occasion.

Higashikuni would scan the report against Colombo fairly quickly as he was not worried about losing the province to amphibious assault. He would read the next report much more carefully as it presented a new angle of attack against Ceylon.​

mar5471000gr2.jpg

Uchiyama could hold Colombo for weeks if needed but the same was not true for Mj. General Kaneoka in the northern island province of Trincomalee. He had no fortress to protect him and he could easily succumb to the amphibious assault directed towards his forces which would undermine the defences of Colombo as it could negate the sea defences.

Fortunately the Imperial Japanese Navy had not left the area completely undefended and orders arrived for Carrier Group D, which was still repairing in Colombo, to set sail and break up the landings.

Ozawa was confident that his second Carrier Group could deal with the threat without the help of BB Division 1 but he changed his mind very quickly when he received news of the sighting of an enemy Carrier fleet. His Battleships altered course and headed back towards the Gulf of Mannar at full speed.​

mar5471200gr1.jpg

Admiral Kojima had found the missing American Carriers USS Constellation and USS America. They were heading directly for Ceylon as they tried to cross the Japanese Submarine picket line across the Indian Ocean in the West Java Trench.​

mar5471600gr1.jpg

Heavy rain during the night would save Kojima's Submarines from any major damage as he withdrew north east at the first opportunity.​

mar5471600gr2.jpg

Admiral Godo arrived in the Gulf of Mannar at 1600 hours with his Carriers engaging the enemy Transport fleet as soon as possible. Night would reduce the damage his ships could inflict but their job was to break up the landings first to prevent the Allies gaining any foothold on the island.​

mar5472100gr1.jpg

By 2100 hours that job was completed and Carrier Group D headed back to Colombo to avoid any contact with the American Carriers. Ozawa would not risk his older Carriers against the much more modern American ones unless he had absolutely no choice.

Content that the Imperial Japanese Navy was handling the problems in Ceylon, Higashikuni turned his attention back to Asia as yet another attack against his lines erupted.​

mar5471400gr1.jpg

Guyuan province, directly adjacent to Higashikuni's Headquarters, had come under attack by the Armoured forces in Yuling which Japanese Dive bombers were already targetting. Lt. General Chandra Bose would be required to hold off the attack which had started during the early evening allowing several hours of night combat to occur before dawn.​

mar5472100gr2.jpg

By 2100 hours the Soviet forces had been reinforced by two Headquarters divisions. Their arrival would not help matters as Chandra Bose held firm and forced the enemy to halt their attack in the face of mounting casualties. Higashikuni already had both of his flanks withdrawing and he could do without having his center doing the same thing.​

The trouble continues for the North China Army. I am also struggling to see how Terauchi can spare troops to shore up the line seeing the Spring will soon be hitting his line. Have you any other reserve troops apart from the 3 Cavalry divisions currently engaged in Operation Tedious? Otherwise, that brake is going to cause some major problems. I'm sure you will think of something, though.

I'm sure he'll just let them rampage and jut bomb them to pieces. :D

Perhaps annxation of Persia and the opening of a new front with the Soviets would take pressure off of the North China front. Also if Central Asia has no forces in it there could be a good land grab sale while the Soviets try and adjust to Central Asia.
It would be like a giant Operation Tedious. ;)

It looks like the Allies have finally thrown a wrench in your plans. :eek:

Hopefully the line can be secured, but I'm not going to shed a tear if Mengkukuo is annexed.

On another note. I know you are one not to completely take advantage of the AI. In this respect I'm thinking it might be time for Operation Tedious to be concluded.

The Red Army is finally putting up a fight it seems, which will certainly improve the gameplay of this AAR. Operation Tedious in becoming increasingly unrealistic, as is it's outcome. IRL these petty invasions would never cause the Red Army to abandon plans and divert major forces to reclaim worthless Siberian Tundra.

I really don't know what I'm trying to say, other than Operation Tedious, is getting tedious to me. The cavalry divisons might be put to better use elsewhere. Of course this is all my opinion.

good work Remble

i wonder when you will solve your photobucket account bandwidth problem. i advertised your AAR to some of my friends and they are not able to see the pictures. i hope you`ll solve the problem soon.

Let's hope you destroy a few Soviet planes in Vladivostok. And it seems the Allies have found the weak part in the defences of Sri Lanka! That island will fall, once the US get their modern carriers over there and can stage a combined attack. Which the AI probably can't...

Someday the Soviets will learn to protect Vladivostok... meawhile, let's have a party there! :rofl:

Kurt_Steiner said:
Someday the Soviets will learn to protect Vladivostok... meawhile, let's have a party there! :rofl:

Let's wait and see for HoI3... ;) :D

robou, ColossusCrusher - The General Staff have a meeting in the update which should make things a little clearer :)

arch3223 - Persia is still a possible as far as opening it up goes. I don't really want the Red Army rampaging anywhere especially when there are air bases involved.

Maj. von Mauser - The Allies like to remind me they are still there from time to time. I can understand your point of view with Operation Tedious and I will probably stop the hit and run raids fairly soon. A full blown invasion might happen though in which case the Soviets won't have any choice but to react a little strongly. They should have to garrison all the beaches but they don't. In a way you could say I am forcing the enemy to use the dozen or so divisions that should be on beach defence to do just that. Then again I tend to agree it is a little gamey to continually do it.

harezmi - Thank you. The photobucket thing was an oversight on my part as I forgot that people still read my other AAR and forgot to account for that and leave some spare bandwidth. It should reset at midnight on the 23rd which is tonight where I am. I am now using three accounts so it shouldn't happen again even with the views I seem to get.

safferli - The Soviet aircraft escape on this occasion. The Allies took their time findng an easy place to invade certainly. Even then they still picked a defended beach when India is crawling with undefended ones. The AI does have some trouble organising the timing of its movements and it will likely pay for it .... again.

Kurt_Steiner, Murmurandus - Don't hold your breath as the AI likes to repeat its mistakes :D

Update to follow ...