• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just knew that there had to be evidence:

Harry Stavros* Truman, 1947

On a sidenote: Truman did seem to have a weakness for manic facial expressions:

"All your base will soon belong to us!
MuhahahHAHAH!"

* Now we know what the cryptic "S." truly stands for.

Timmie0307 - Thank you. I am not sure how surprising the next update will be as it was pretty obvious what would happen next.

elbasto, BobaFett696 - Thank you :)

cosminus - I like to keep things light hearted most of the time and every now and again I try to write something that may or may not be funny. My time is a lot more limited than it was when I started but I still try and update at a minimum of every other day.

Juan_de_Marco - Thank you very much. The Soviet viewpoint was a little easier to invent than the American one in this case.

AdmiralNelson - It does seem logical at least and could well be how the Soviets thought at the time, although I have no idea if that was the case.

Nathan Madien - Thank you. They have gone slightly quiet since they got kicked out of most of the Pacific :D

Sokraates - I like to throw in some of these type of updates from time to time to break up the constant battle posts. I don't do it much though as this is probably supposed to be a Gameplay AAR and not a Narrative or Comedy :)

Kurt_Steiner - They actually have little to be worried about territorially. The Americans lost some islands and the Soviets are up on territory. Armed forces wise they may be a little more concerned ;)

Timmie0307 - Just wishful thinking on my part as WW III cannot trigger until Japan is destroyed.

Irenicus - The Imperial Japanese Airforce might have some say in future events in the Pacific :)

Murmurandus - They do seem to miss a few things but that happens to isolasionist Countries from time to time.

ColossusCrusher - All exept for the one I am controlling who tries to remain fairly middle of the road on most occasions.

harezmi - Thank you. I hadn't thought about doing something like this for the Minors but I guess thats possible. I might decide to add one of these little types of posts after each monthly update from now on if its convenient.

mk11 - Thank you and welcome out from lurkdom even if only for a moment :) I am not sure what I might do next but whatever it is a long way off as I don't think I would want to run two AAR's at once. This one is going to last for some time to come I imagine, unless the readership dies off of course :D

Most of my possible scenarios are 1936 ones, I even have one where I would probably lose as the Soviets in vanilla HoI DD, as hard as that might seem to be to achieve. I can even make Germany struggle too. Playing a Minor might also be fun as I haven't played too many of those with Brazil or Italy being among my favourites.

The main problem with trying World Conquest with Minor powers is that it is almost impossible to do without dropping the difficulty level.

I am glad you liked the interlude as I was not sure how it would be received as it is not something I try much and thank you for your feedback as always :)

Update to follow where the thing called War intervenes again ...

Wasn't that second picture taken during the Potsdam Conference after s informed about Trinity?

The Bear

2100 January 1st 1947.
Naval Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

The forces required for the next venture during Operation Tedious had mustered allowing Osami to send out the orders to begin the assault. The attack began just before dawn on January 1st 1947.​

jan1472100gr.jpg

Vladivostok would be the target on this occasion with a direct attack from two directions. Lt. General Tsuda led the amphibious portion, containing three Infantry divisions recently embarked from mainland Japan, while the three Cavalry divisions in Tetyukhe provided support to help negate the coastal fortifications of the province.

More support was also provided by Admiral Ozawa who had BB Division 1 offshore to bombard the garrison divisions defending Vladivostok. Dawn would also see eight Tactical bombers arrive to provide a third axis of assistance. The fresh snow falls would make the task a lot harder but Osami only had a little window of opportunity and he had no choice but to take it.​

jan1472300gr1.jpg

Two hours later the Canadian Navy decided that this would be the perfect time to interfere with Japanese ambitions as a small fleet containing the Battlecruiser HMCS Canada robbed the assault of its shore bombardment. HMCS Canada would escape with only minor damage but Destroyer Flotilla 3 would be sunk by the guns of IJN Yamato which was currently Ozawa's Flagship while IJN Yamashiro underwent repairs in Tokyo.​

0200 January 2nd 1947.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Mukden, Manchukuo.

Terauchi was aware of the attack on Vladivostok and would launch another assault of his own which had been requested by Higashikuni.​

jan2470200gr3.jpg

Erenhot was attacked from three sides by a large combined force to remove the single Armoured division and five Headquarters divisions that had mustered in the province. Rokossovsky led the defence with some of the Headquarters divisions showing signs of damage from their journey through Bayan Nur to the east. Eight Dive bombers would also support this attack and primarily target the Armoured division.​

jan2470600gr1.jpg

At 0600 hours General Fujie arrived back in Xinjing to temporarily reclaim the capital of Manchukuo. He would not be staying very long on this occasion as three divisions from Harbin were already enroute to the province and forced him to withdraw south to Andong. Japanese Dive bombers were still attacking the retreating Soviet divisions that had been forced out of the province during the attack that allowed Fujie to advance in the first place.​

0600 January 2nd 1947.

The attack on Vladivostok had been raging for ten hours when Siamese bombers arrived over Vlsdivostok Bay to hunt down HMCS Canada.​

jan2470600gr2.jpg

They would find the Battlecruiser with little difficulty but would fail to land much more than superficial damage over the next few days as the enemy sailed around Japan and headed north east to safety. Attu Island was it most likely port of call which was out of range of Japanese aircraft.​

jan2471200gr1.jpg

By 1200 hours on January 2nd the defences of Vladivostok were crumbling to the combined land, air and sea attack. The only concern for Osami was the movement of the entire Red Army force in Chongyin towards Vladivostok to try and support its defenders.​

jan2471600gr1.jpg

1600 hours saw the surrender of the two garrison divisions to Japanese forces. Now it was a race against time with the amphibious forces trying to land before the enemy troops from Chongyin could arrive. Even if the Japanese divisions arrived first they would not be able to hold in all probability.​

1200 January 2nd 1947.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

The attack against Erenhot had lasted for ten hours when Higashikuni received an update on proceedings. Things were going more or less as planned.​

jan2471200gr2.jpg

The Armoured division was nearing total destruction as the Dive bombers repeatedly attacked it and the Headquarters divisions were also suffering casualties. Another eight hours would be required to finally force Rokossovsky to order the retreat. The inevitable arrival of bombers at dawn would see the Armoured division destroyed.​

jan2471200gr3.jpg

Higashikuni also received word of a Soviet attack in northern India where General Ueda held the line in Lahore province. The infrastucture had been somewhat repaired after the American Strategic campaign which would allow Ueda a much easier defence which would not last for long during the night.

One concern was still on Higashikuni's mind as the British Carrier fleet had not been found off Ceylon by Carrier Groups C and D. They would continue the hunt for a few days in the hope of neutralising the threat to Colombo.​

0800 January 3rd 1947.
The Skies Above Hamhung.

Enemy aircraft were once again trying to undermine the defences of Hamhung even though the Soviet army facing the province were moving towards Vladivostok.​

jan3470800gr2.jpg

Fukui's Interceptor wing were still in the process of upgrading when they were scrambled to provide defensive air cover. The results had become fairly predictable after several of these similar air duels. The Dive bombers were shredded by the more modern Interceptors as they tried to conduct their mission.

In Vladivostok the air exodus was led by Polish Interceptors as they headed towards Harbin to escape capture should Japanese forces land successfully.​

1900 January 3rd 1947.

Osami looked at the latest report and was not overly happy. Somehow the Soviets had managed to move through a snow covered mountain region before his troops could disembark from their Transport ships.​

jan3471900gr1.jpg

Two fast moving Headquarters divisions had arrived ahead of the Japanese forces and a second battle commenced for Vladivostok. The arrival of Tactical bombers in a few hours may be enough to sway the battle and still allow a Japanese success.​

jan4470100gr1.jpg

The arrival of the Tactical bombers did help somewhat and there were still thoughts of victory until a Soviet Armoured division arrived to bolster the defences at 0100 hours. Osami would give the bombers a chance to reduce this new threat but they would fail to do so before nightfall. A few hours of night warfare went badly for Osami and he had no option but to call of the assault long before dawn. He had managed to force the Red Army to withdraw from Chongyin again making the front a little safer for a time.​

0000 January 5th 1947.
Intelligence Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Kuniaki had already completed one part of the needed research to upgrade Japanese aircraft to Turbojet designs and a second completed on January 5th.​

jan5470000gr1.jpg

Mitsubishi provided another update to the previous Close Air Support advance which would allow an increased range and more firepower for these aircraft. Their upgrades would have to wait as Minister Jun had already stated that Interceptor upgrades took priority.

Nakajima were given another aircraft project to research by Kuniaki. The Tactical bombers would be next to profit from Turbojet technology once the research was completed. Japanese Industry was also awaiting this project before it began to double the size of Japan's Tactical bomber forces.​

this research into turbojet cant be healthy for your oil problems. What if the nations that are supplying you declaire war, Like they did in your German AAR?

Gosh. That's an awful lot of HQ divisions the Soviets have. Are these all, or are there even more?

Very nice update.

I am wondering though if it is a good idea to repeatedly trade Xinjing with the Soviets. Each time the capital is moved back there the Soviets will be able overrun the stockpiles of your puppet (which aren't big to begin with since they ARE a puppet nation). How is the IC situation there?

trekaddict said:
Wasn't that second picture taken during the Potsdam Conference after s informed about Trinity?

No. It was taken in 1948, after he won the elections against all predictions. In the full photo you see him holding up a newspaper, incorrectly stating, he had lost the election. Details and the photo can be found on Wikipedia.

Who knows whether Harry will be able to gloat in 1948 in this timeline.

Edit: A very exciting update, quite hot for a winter update, too. Though it's a pity you couldn't capture Vladivostok at least for a short time to destroy those air squadrons.

Whatever ... third time's a charm, they say. ;)

Last edited:
Sokraates said:
No. It was taken in 1948, after he won the elections against all predictions. In the full photo you see him holding up a newspaper, incorrectly stating, he had lost the election. Details and the photo can be found on Wikipedia.

I stand corrected then. I just knew that picture from somewhere.

The Red Army seem to be shoring up their defences somewhat more than before. Let us hope that you can still hold them at bay for some time. May I ask, I am not sure if it has already been metioned, but why is Vladivostok of such importance to capture? Is it simply to draw Red Army forces away from Korea?

robou said:
The Red Army seem to be shoring up their defences somewhat more than before. Let us hope that you can still hold them at bay for some time. May I ask, I am not sure if it has already been metioned, but why is Vladivostok of such importance to capture? Is it simply to draw Red Army forces away from Korea?
It would have forced the naval units stationed there out in the open, not to mention denied the russians the use of the airfield, along with any planes that might have been present, if the attack hadn't been repelled.

Sokraates said:

President Truman: Remember, folks! This newspaper said that do-nothing Dewey would win! Alas, I actually won! So when this newspaper is saying that we are losing the war in the Pacific, just remember this "Dewey Defeats Truman" nonsensical headline!
*cues insane laughter*

Remble said:
Japanese Industry was also awaiting this project before it began to double the size of Japan's Tactical bomber forces.

So you’re planning to double the size of your Tactical bomber forces. How long will that take and how much IC do you plan to allocate to that little project?

Also keep up the good work.

Nathan Madien said:
President Truman: Remember, folks! This newspaper said that do-nothing Dewey would win! Alas, I actually won! So when this newspaper is saying that we are losing the war in the Pacific, just remember this "Dewey Defeats Truman" nonsensical headline!
*cues insane laughter*

... then returns to the oval office to stroke his white persian and train his "evil laughter"(TM) some more.

Nice little interludes there Remlbe, although England was absent.

Too bad about your Failed landing at the Vlad.