• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Bear

0700 August 23rd 1946.
The Skies Above Chongyin.

Soviet Dive bombers had returned to operations over North Korea and Manchuria and were trying to inflict damage on the defenders of Chongyin province.​

aug23460700gr1.jpg

Mj. General Fukui was based in Pyongyang and was scrambled to intercept the enemy aircraft. His turbojet Interceptors could reach the hostile aircraft for once and the Soviet bombers took heavy casualties as a result.

Japan's first generation turbojet Interceptors were proving to be fairly capable if anything got close enough for them to attack. Research was coming close to completion for a much more modern Interceptor which would allow these aircraft longer range and more firepower.

The Soviet airforce was in for a bad day. The interception over Chongyin was merely a starting point for the massive losses they would sustain.​

aug23461100gr1.jpg

At 1100 hours Japanese Cavalry completed their invasions of both Ocha and Toyohara on Sakhalin Island. An unknown number of squadrons were destroyed on the ground by the Cavalry. Toyohara airbase also saw multiple bomber squadrons return from their attacks over Japan where they would also all be destroyed by Japanese forces. An estimate would be arrived at from tracking of the enemy aircraft. Anything from eight to twelve squadrons were thought to have been completely destroyed and the number could have been much higher.

One thing was certain. Soviet Dive bombers no longer had an airbase in range of mainland Japan.​

2200 August 23rd 1946.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

The Red Army's push through Mongolia continued to gather momentum as another attack began. HIgashikuni's forces were unable to hold in this area as there were too few troops deployed.​

aug23462200gr1.jpg

Saynshand province would also be abandoned as six Japanese divisions withdrew towards Jining. Higashikuni was deliberately allowing the Red Army access to Erenhot province as it was an ideal place to counter attack and was also in range of Dive bombers operating from Beiping. Soviet armour would be the primary target as the Red Army advanced into both Bayan Tumen and Erenhot.​

aug24460200gr1.jpg

General Abe was ordered to attack Sukkur in India on August 24th with Tactical bomber support. The bombers did not target the Mechanised division which would prove stubborn enough for Abe to call off the assault after a few hours. The bombers would switch targets to Karachi shortly afterwards where enemy troops were providing a moving target.​

0200 August 24th 1946.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Harbin, Manchukuo.

Terauchi's problems were also growing fairly rapidly. A much larger enemy force had moved into Jilin province and they were heading for the capital of Manchukuo.​

aug24460200gr2.jpg

The chances of all seven divisions being destroyed by the bombers before they could arrive in Xinjing was remote. Terauchi would deal with the problem once they did arrive if the bombers could not stop them. The newly arrived Mountain division was forced to withdraw immidiately. Terauchi knew he could probably attack Jilin and force the enemy to retreat but it would mean using a large part of the defensive force in Harbin, which would almost certainly result in losing the province.​

aug25460200gr2.jpg

Field Marshal Meretskov proved that point on August 25th. His forty one divisions attacked from multiple directions at 0200 hours leaving Terauchi to hold for eight hours before dusk. Rain would assist the defence during the daylight hours and by 1300 hours the battle began to turn in Japan's favour. Meretskov would be forced to abandon his attack two hours later as his casualties mounted. Terauchi had also suffered more losses than was normal which would result in action being needed back in Japan.​

aug27460000gr1.jpg

Ginjiro had already received permission to counter the growing manpower problem and he did not hesitate to act. The Yok Paratroop Brigade stationed in Bandjermasin, Borneo, was the first division to be disbanded as the manpower reserve dropped to only three thousand. Losses in Manchuria and the repairs to both the Imperial Japanese Airforce and Navy were placing a larger strain by the day.​

Last edited:
2200 August 27th 1946.
Inland Sea.

Japanese convoy ships had suffered some losses in the Inland Sea which caused Osami to detach the Destroyers from BB Division 2 to investigate.​

aug27462200gr1.jpg

Three Soviet Submarine Flotillas were causing the problem. One would be sunk by 27 Kuchikukantai with the other two both being damaged. The Soviet Submarines headed back to Vladivostok.​

0000 August 29th 1946.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Harbin, Manchukuo.

After what had seemed an eternity some good news arrived on the upgrades to Japanese aircraft.​

aug29460000gr1.jpg

Eight of the sixteen Dive bomber squadrons had completed their upgrades which would free up production for Interceptors as well as the remaining eight bomber squadrons, all of which were due to complete over the next few days.​

aug29462200gr1.jpg

The new Dive bombers would head for Jilin at 2200 hours where only one enemy division remained. The others had all moved to capture Xinjing province. Within two hours Terauchi's counter attack orders had been acted upon.​

aug30460000gr1.jpg

Field Marshal Hata led the attack as an intial eight divisions attacked the Red Army troops that had advanced. Another division would join the attack an hour later from Harbin. The eight Dive bomber squadrons resting in Beiping were ordered to Dalian and then on to attack the Soviets in Xinjing as well.​

aug30460700gr1.jpg

By 0700 hours the Red Army troops had suffered large casualties and were forced to retreat at 0900 hours. How many would make it back to Jilin was something the future would dictate, but it was a guarantee that not all of them would survive the journey as the Diver bombers tore into them in the open terrain. Even if any did make it back to Jilin they would merely switch the Dive bombers that would be attacking them.​

Last edited:
After having dropped out of the AAR (and anything else relating to free time) due to too much work, I almost felt ashamed to make a sneaky post my first after a long time. But I just couldn't resist the opportunity.

Your situation in former China is very interesting. While you are withdrawing in the north, Manchukuo look more stable then ever before, especially now that Sakhalin and her airbases are yours to command.

I sincerely hope that your withdrawals (I won't use the "R"-word anytime soon) will have the desired effect and give you a more stable frontline with perchance even some opportunities for counter attacks. Anyway, you are correct that the Soviets serve their purpose of adding excitement to this AAR rather well. Maybe you will consider this, when it is time to decide on the future of your Empire from Moscow. ;)

Your comments on 1947 make me think that you have played ahead very far. I'm tempted to ask some well masked question on the future of Japan but I see it will be fruitless since you seem to match my sneakyness.

So another, more harmless question: how log until you have researched the new interceptor model and how long until your interceptors are upgraded? And how do you calculate upgrade time, anyway?

Keep up the good work (is not what the Soviets would say).

Still, it's getting awfully difficult. A concentrated attack could lead to the forces in Harbin getting cut off. Let's hope you can hold the Soviets back!

Remble said:
His turbojet Interceptors could reach the hostile aircraft for once and the Soviet bombers took heavy casualties as a result.

Hey, those things are flying rockets, not turbojet interceptors. As you mention yourself you are still researching the turbojet engine. It´s a big difference for the pilots: sitting on a rocket is a bit less... comfortable ;).

Pretty successful landings on Sakhalin Island. Wow. Now I know why the AI cheats in Armageddon and manages to evacuate the planes most times :).

Very amazing!

I wonder, in which way you will end this, in case of total victory.

As I am new in this forum (the date is delusive) I needed some time to read through this.

Yumo said:
Very amazing!

I wonder, in which way you will end this, in case of total victory.

As I am new in this forum (the date is delusive) I needed some time to read through this.

You should start with Remble's Germany 1944 AAR.

Remble. are you worried about your position in Harbin? Or do you think you can hold it without much difficulty?

Middelkerke said:
You should start with Remble's Germany 1944 AAR.

Ah, yes. That was a good read. It's kinda like "Advantages without Obligations" in the sense that it is a monumental piece of work.

the Russians continue to recieve a bloodied nose for being to promt and blunt in their attacks... and also for pushing to many men to the main front, from where they will only be killed by the same thing (though yours) which they had been defending... how ironic.

Things are starting to look more and more pressured.

safferli said:
Still, it's getting awfully difficult. A concentrated attack could lead to the forces in Harbin getting cut off. Let's hope you can hold the Soviets back!
i consider the risk of getting cut off rather low. he still has two ways to harbin, and will probably retake xinjin soon. even if he does not retake it, he will be able to turn it into a meatgrinder with plains and airbases nearby.
the biggest danger is a well organised attack on harbin. the soviets have lots of troops in 4 neighbouring provinces, giving a possible attack of 96 divisions as well as a nice envelopment modifier. if they decide to do a real attack, he will be forced to retreat.

the loss of harbin would result in a collapse of manchuko and most likely break the whole frontline. there is a high risk whole manchuria would get lost and he might be forced to fight in north korea and the beijping area.

Nice job with the Soviet Airforce.

Hopefully you get to keep Manchukuo. :)

Is it just me or the pics doesn't work? Otherwise, magnificient work.