• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fgorginator - It would have been far worse if the second American Carrier fleet had still been alive. I would probably of failed to land on Hawaii if it had been there too.

_heikkinen - The situation is somewhat controlled for sure. I dislike ooperating outside my air cover though.

HannibalBarca - No doubt the massed Carrier production of the U.S. will allow some revenge eventually. That is if the IJN doesn't just hide in Pearl Harbour.

safferli - Naval battles are fun but I do prefer dictating exactly when they happen and who is involved.

stnylan - The Imperial Japanese Airforce are the unsung heroes of the Pacific with their excellent spotting.

OneArmed - Your welcome. I think she has escaped for the time being. My NAV's couldn't find Stark.

Nathan Madien He wouldn't be too happy I would think :)

Juan_de_Marco - Don't expect too many operations as dangerous as this one has been but one every now and again is always a little fun.

Middelkirke - I enjoy blowing Carrier fleets apart with BB's :) Current builds are 2 x CVL and 3 x DD.

robou - In hindsight I should probably have moved both BB fleets there but I chose to keep one with the Carriers as a soak off target. Had both been there half of Stark's fleet would have been sunk, as long as they didn't try and shoot eachother of course.

alan_le_cowboy - Some misinformation on my part. I couldn't say 7 or you would have known I lost one. Very well spotted though :)

Maj. von Mauser - Ancient? I will have you know that she almost modern for the IJN. Only two Carriers are more modern.

Edzako - BB's are excellent at sinking Carriers in bad weather. I destroyed the entire USN and their modern Carriers in my other AAR using SHBB's with minimal losses. I think I have to do the gamey move off the coast and unload technique to directly invade the US from Pearl. I don;t mind using this tactic but only if I could use Amphibious Assault as well. This being the case I think I have to invade some of the Alaskan islands first for a closer port.

rampagingmouse - IJN Unryo was never one of the two first named Carriers in a fleet so her sinkings were minimal. She sank one Destroyer and one Transport Division by May 1st 1946.

genbrad, rampagingmouse - Operation Mystery is behind the updates for the rest of the War right now. I have played up until June 30th for Asia so that particular War will start seeing more updates after the July monthly meeting.

Sokraates - I was tempted to do that but decided to just go with postponing the meeting.

Juan_de_Marco - Once it is over the aircraft will head for China. How many divisions I will remove from the Pacific remains to be seen as I need to confirm the Americans are concentrating on Hawaii first. It would not be prudent to remove island defences too early and then have to take them back again.

AgamemnonNL - Thank you and welcome to the boards :) You are fortunate to have begun to read near the beginning of the AAR :D

Update to follow ... not a large one but the screenshots came out a little odd in numbers ...

Operation Mystery

1700 June 2nd 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Mendelssohn Seamount.

BB Division 2 and 8. Kaigun arrived in the Mendelssohn Seamount at 1600 hours on June 2nd which allowed the division onboard the Transports to begin to unload towards Pearl Harbour.​

jun2461700gr1.jpg

Lt. General Tanaka Shinji led the invading troops onto the landing craft and towards the undefended island.​

jun5460000gr1.jpg

He arrived without any further incident at 0000 hours on June 5th to capture the airbase and port facilities of the island. Whatever American fleet was in the port would soon have to face the Japanese Combined fleet waiting off the coast. A second division had arrived on Hawaii to strengthen the defences of that island.​

jun5460000gr2.jpg

Two Close Air Support wings, one of which was commanded by Lt. General Fuchida, left their airbase on Kwajalein and headed for the captured base of Pearl Harbour. They would be needed to soften up the enemy troops on the remaining islands.​

jun5460200gr2.jpg

The fleet that had taken refuge in Pearl Harbour was that of Admiral King and contained the modern Carrier USS Bunker Hill. He would have to face seven Japanese Carriers under ideal conditions for Carrier warfare as he arrived in the Mendelssohn Seamount at 0200 hours.​

jun5460500gr1.jpg

By 0500 hours USS Bunker Hill was badly damaged but it had in turn crippled the Japanese Carrier IJN Katsuragi. King was expected to withdraw in an hour but if his Carrier could launch one more flight before departing he could very easily sink IJN Katsuragi before the USS Bunker Hill was sunk.

The battle ended an hour later with no ships being sunk but two Carriers had been critically damaged. IJN Katsuragi could use the newly captured Pearl Harbour but King would have to sail back to the mainland of the United States for repairs to his Carrier.​

jun5460700gr2.jpg

At 0700 hours all of the Japanese fleets headed for Pearl harbour to regroup. At least one carrier and almost all of BB Division 2 would be needing repairs after battles with the United States Pacific Fleet.​

jun6461900gr3.jpg

Ichimaru found King and his fleet in the East Murray Fracture to the north east of Hawaii at 1900 hours on June 6th. USS Bunker Hill sank immediately and the remaining ships also sustained more damage during the bombing run by the Japanese Naval bombers.

Both sides had now lost a Carrier each during Operation Mystery. So far the Imperial Japanese Navy had only lost this one vessel which could not be said for the United States Navy.​

jun6461900gr4.jpg

Three fleets set sail from Pearl Harbour at 1900 hours on June 6th. Ozawa led BB Division 1 towards the West Molokai Fracture Zone to protect Maui and to try and prevent further reinforcements arriving in Hawaii while Carrier Groups C and D protected Pearl Harbour.​

jun7460600gr1.jpg

Several enemy Transport fleets were detected early on June 7th all of which were heading towards the Hawaiian Islands.​

jun8460000gr2.jpg

One of those Transport fleets had managed to bypass the Japanese Carriers under cover of darkness and landed a second division on Kauai Island to the north of Pearl Harbour. The Japanese Dive bombers quickly sank the enemy ships before they could leave the small harbour and make a return journey.​

jun8460700gr2.jpg

Two more Transport Divisions also got passed the defending fleets in the Mendelssohn Seamount at 0700 hours on June 8th.​

jun8462000gr2.jpg

Two more divisions landed on Kauai Island as a result. All of the American Transport fleets appeared to be carrying troops and if any more landed on Kauai Island it would be almost impossible to move them. Four divisions was already too many and it would require the loss of a lot of Japanese blood to overcome them.

The Dive bombers switched to bombing the defenders on Hawaii to soften them up for an attack which could clear the island. IJN Fuso had left Maui and set sail for Pearl Harbour where it could begin extensive repairs. BB Division 1 provided protection for the move of the badly damaged Battleship. No further sightings of Stark and his damaged Carriers had been made which made it likely that they had indeed headed for the United States west coast.​

The AI is indeed doing its stack-thing again.

That was close almost lost an other CV...

Every division they put on those islands will be POW's soon so the more the better... :D

Last edited:
certainly a good victory, but there are several more of those out there... and they are nasty.

Wow ... I read through this update so quickly, I thought you had only used one post. I was just too eager to read how you fared. :)

Congratulations on capturing Pearl Harbour. Let's hope the USA wont stage a surprise attack on the harbour from some carriers. :D

You need to get that Island and fast, before they really reinforce it.

With such fleet it would be possible to starve those troops to death and take them then. The more they have troops the more they need to concentrate on building convoys. Thought they had no transaports left, but wow there was quite many of them still active and sunk. I guess problem for the US is that they are lacking transports so we need to wait for a month for another attempt. As long they send unprotected transports it is good for Japanese I guess ? I would love to know how much US or Soviets have left manpower to their pool.

Sokraates said:
Congratulations on capturing Pearl Harbour. Let's hope the USA wont stage a surprise attack on the harbour from some carriers. :D

That would be a true piece of irony right there. :wacko: It would be weird if Americans sank even one Japanese carrier in Pearl Harbor.

Actually it is very easy to sunk all AI convoys with aircrafts. I remember doing this several times with very large amount of naval bombers. I think it took only couple of weeks to get rid of all Japanese convoys. I guess with fleet it is much much harder and Remble doesn't have any spare aircrafts available either and compare US and Japan industrial power they are not really the same.