• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update, good to see more countries biting the dust, and the start of some battles with the Soviets.

Operation Mystery and a pink folder ... where has my operation come to? :wacko:

Congratulations, Panzer,6 on having your operation concluded successfully after 22 pages. Now, my dear Remble, I trust you to conclude my operation just as splendidly ... lest the Emperor will behead me personally. *gulp*

rampagingmouse said:
Nice update i now fully comprehend how well you have done as in my game i have just been annexed may 1945, and here you are with complete control of the pacific and soon... or not ... russia will be under Japanese control. Then it truly will be "The Empire of the Rising Sun".

As if one superpower wasn't enough, are there any plans for conquest of the Americas (North or South)

I'm pretty sure that's meant by "hornet's nest." My guess is a strike at midway and hawaii.

Porkman said:
I'm pretty sure that's meant by "hornet's nest." My guess is a strike at midway and hawaii.

Here is my theory. The Japanese raise whatever USA carriers called Hornet up to the surface and convert the sunken wreck(s) into zombie carriers.

Sokraates, if this operations fails, the emperor will send you a sign, that you should make a traditional samurai suicide. At least you can die with honour!

Nice Update!
The energy stockpile is nice.
I think you still have a plan for the next tank model. Do you plan to research and build new tanks? It would save MP and you could have a quick reaction force.

A pink folder for Operation Mystery, so the target could be British: they have pink on the diplomacy screen. ;)

NZ´s ressources were higher than I expected, nice extra bonus for the empire.

cjwet said:
Sokraates, if this operations fails, the emperor will send you a sign, that you should make a traditional samurai suicide. At least you can die with honour!

Nice Update!
The energy stockpile is nice.
I think you still have a plan for the next tank model. Do you plan to research and build new tanks? It would save MP and you could have a quick reaction force.

He has three tank divisions right now and it's very IC expensive (which Remble has little to spare) so it's by far not a high priority and for the moment not worth it. Especially since research takes forever on very hard.

Lets also hope his energy stays high. No trades with USSR means lack of energy is a major threat once again (until they are counquered as well of course). :)

@cjwet: Should Operation Mystery fail, there will be no need for the Emperor to tell me what to do. Though since Japan already has a manpower problem, I hope that I won't need to unnecessarily reduce the manpower pool by a further soldier. ;)

@Thurak: Hmmm ... could be. South Africa is lovely this time of the year, I've heard.

What are the Soviet Armies of Millions waiting for?? :confused: ;) :D

Murmurandus said:
What are the Soviet Armies of Millions waiting for?? :confused: ;) :D

TEA! Lack of tea is dropping their morale.

Leumatiello said:
TEA! Lack of tea is dropping their morale.

Dear god! They could almost be British! :D

Let's hope so, since we know that the Brits kill themselves due to a lack of it. I wonder what the Soviets will do when it gets too much to bear.

All of this stress cannot be good for poor old Uncle Joe, after umpteen years of war with the greatest enemies of the time, reviled by most of the world and bullied by the rest. It almost makes one feel sorry for him. I am sure he does not want this war, and it would be much easier to expand into the fertile plains of Europe rather than the harsh mountains and deserts of Mandschukuo and Tschinkiang. Surely a lifetime supply of tea could convince him of that. Most of the armies you will be facing here would be composed of Asiatic peoples anyway...but such things do not count, and he *did* promise to the Allies that April Storm would happen.

We are looking forward to Mystery with great anticipation.

Last edited:
robou - Diplomats like lists :) We shall find out what the Hornets nest is in due course.

Panzer6 - Ah there it is! I guess my geography is not quite as good as I thought. Thank you, Operation Obsolete took some time to complete and thanks for naming the operation, even if you indirectly supplied it :D

stnylan - Lists are very useful things to have.

rampagingmouse - This scenario is fairly challenging and requires a lot of micro management, especially early on. In many ways Germany is easier as it is merely a land war, the addition of the Pacific and trying to fight a modern fleet with an old one makes this more fun.

As far as America goes I am not sure if this AAR will cover it or not yet. As with most Germany games, once the Bear is defeated its almost a certainty who will win. World conquest can be fun at times but doing two AAR's back to back with the same end goal might not be what I will do. It may well depend on whether you readers want me to do it or not. I still have to defeat the Bear and hold the Americans at bay during the process, not a guaranteed victory on either front really.

Maj. von Mauser - Thank you. The conflict with the Soviets will no doubt hot up a lot in the coming months.

Sokraates - Pink is merely a secrecy type of colour. Operation Mystery is likely to cover very few pages as it is a secret operation. Something along the lines of Tahiti in my previous AAR is what will happen as far as posts go.

Porkman - Maybe Midway or Hawaii, or maybe something else entirely :)

Nathan Madien - Ah, the sunken ships have to remain at the bottom for future diving holidays etc. The fish also need somewhere to live.

Middelkerke - Thanks for pointing that out. Yahoo and Google don't always help much :)

cjwet, Panzer6, Thurak - The energy was very nice. I didn't think New Zealand would have that much. Panzer6 is correct, no armour because I cannot afford it and it will eat too much oil. I have six armoured divisions in total. Three in Harbin and three currently on Soviet soil.

Murmurandus - They are marching very slowly. Remember how long it took me to march through China. They will take longer to do it I hope.

Hermann Steiner - Thank you.

Leumatiello, trekaddict, ColossusCrusher, Grapp, Middelkerke, Ruodnane - Tea or vodka it could be. If its tea they are in trouble as I control the World tea economy. Vokda supplies are probably centered around Moscow so I shall have to go and get that to prevent ir from helping anyone else.

Update to follow ...

The Bear

0000 April 17th 1946.
Intelligence Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Several teams of scientists had been working secretly to try and improve Japanese research. They were falling further behind their enemies with each passing day and something needed to be done to try and catch up.​

apr17460000gr1.jpg

A new set of computing machines could help with the speed of all of Japan's research teams once they had been investigated further.​

1000 April 17th 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, In Transit.

Ozawa was heading north towards the Marshall Islands to provide support for operations in that area. The heavy guns of BB Division 1 were required in the area as an interception proved.​

apr17461000gr2.jpg

Carrier Group C had encountered an enemy Transport Fleet in the Central Marshalls but had failed to sink it. This was allowing reinforcements to slowly arrive for the Allies and it would require Battleships to provide a more reliable defence in all conditions.​

apr17461200gr1.jpg

Lt. General Kasahara arrrived at his new home at 1200 hours. Ngulu was back under Japanese control and would have a permanent garrison for the time being.​

0200 April 18th 1946.
Kwantung Army Headquarters. Harbin, Manchukuo.

The Soviet troops that had occupied Mudanjiang had been digging in too quickly which was preventing the Tactical bombers from inflicting too much damage. Terauchi would deal with the problem himself.​

apr18460200gr1.jpg

He led the fourteen divisions in Harbin in an attack that would force the badly outnumbered Soviet troops back and also allow the bombers to continue their destruction.​

apr18460700gr1.jpg

The Red Army launched a second attack towards Chita at 0700 hours on April 18th. This time the Japanese armoured force was too heavily outnumbered to hold and withdrew back to the safety of Bayan Tumen. More and more enemy troops were arriving in this area.​

0800 April 18th 1946.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

Lt. General Ishiwara had advanced into the Mongolian province of Khobdo to try and cut the Red Army's advance in the region. Holding Khobdo would force Soviet troops to march around the neutral Tannu Tuva.​

apr18460800gr1.jpg

Unfortunately Ishiwara would not be able to capture the province as he was forced to withdraw immediately by a stronger enemy force. The chances of removing Mongolia from the Comintern Alliance were now remote at best.

Higashikuni could only send the forces guarding Urumqi and its airbase to try and secure the province. He decided that Urumqi was more important than forcing a minor Nation from the War between the two Countries.​

1800 April 18th 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, In Transit.

Enemy Transport fleets were being spotted more and more around New Ireland in the Bismarck Archipelago. Ozawa had Cruiser fleets patrolling the area to prevent an invasion and so far they had stopped any such event occuring.​

apr18461800gr1.jpg

There were now three Transport Flotillas attempting an invasion. The numbers were slowly increasing as the firepower of the Cruiser fleets was not quite sufficient to cause critical damage. Ozawa was going to strengthen these fleets in due course so that the enemy ships would not escape.​

apr19460000gr1.jpg

At 0000 hours on April 19th two new Light Carriers were introduced to the Imperial Japanese Navy. IJN Hosho and IJN Shoho would sail south to join two of the three Cruiser fleets patrolling the Solomon area. The added firepower and detection abilities these ships would provide should help find and destroy enemy shipping. The third Cruiser fleet had already received a Light Carrier from BB Division 2 as it sailed north towards the Marshall Islands.​

apr19460500gr1.jpg

Mj. General Wada landed in Merauke to return it to Japanese rule at 0500 hours April 19th. He would make his way back onto the waiting Transport fleet and be used to defend the popular New Ireland from a possible invasion.​

0900 April 19th 1946.

The Red Army was growing in strength in the area north of the Japanese attempted breakthrough. Terauchi knew that any further advances by the Imperial Japanese Army would have to wait for some time as there were now just too many enemy troops in this region.​

apr19460900gr1.jpg

General Asaka was also forced to withdraw back to Bayan Tumen from Borzya. The very large Japanese force in Bayan Tumen would be used to hold the Red Army as far north as possible for as long as it could.​

1100 April 19th 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Central Marshalls.

More enemy Transport ships had arrived in the Solomon area and had been encountered by the southern CA Division. This fleet contained a Light Carrier already and was able to sink one of the Flotillas encountered.​

apr19461100gr1.jpg

The Heavy Cruiser IJN Ashigara would sink the Brigham Young Flotilla. The second Transport Flotilla would escape to the north east for the time being. No pursuit was ordered as the Cruiser fleets were ordered to defend the undefended lands in these island chains.​

apr20461500gr1.jpg

The conclusion of Operation Obsolete reduced the need for a BB Division in the south. Admiral Nomura was ordered to bring IJN Yamato north to join with the ever increasing Japanese Naval forces in the Marshalls. Most of BB Division 3 would stay in the south and form a Cruiser Division to patrol the area.​

apr22462100gr1.jpg

BB Division 1 had taken over the defence of the Central Marshalls to allow the two Carrier Groups time to upgrade their air compliments and conduct other operations. Ozawa would first use his fleet to provide shore bombardment for the Japanese marines that would attack Majuro and its single defending division. The Dive bombers operating from Kwajalein would also assist which would bring the invasion to a swift end as the American division was forced to surrender. The presence of a Japanese fleet in the area prevented any chance of a retreat across the narrow straits seperating most of the islands in this chain.

Ozawa would concentrate on removing the enemy from these islands as well as conducting early parts of other operations he had to carry out. He was sure the Americans were watching the build up of Japanese forces in the Marshall islands with great interest.​

0700 Aprill 22nd 1946.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

Higashikuni had thought that the majority of the Red Army forces that would be attacking his area had already arrived on the border. This was not the case.​

apr22460700gr1.jpg

Further bombing of Zhambyl by Close Air Support aircraft revealed a further twenty six divisions. These troops may have come from the front line or been deployed forwards, Higashikuni had no way of knowing as he did not have an accurate enemy divisions count.​

apr23460300gr1.jpg

Three Soviet divisions had advanced into Khobdo and were forced to retreat by the Japanese forces surrounding the province. With the War between the two Countries almost a month old nothing much had changed as far as territory was concerned, especially in the mountains defended by North China Army.​

0800 April 22nd 1946.

Terauchi had not been completely aware of the size of the Red Army forces to his north but ever increasing air cover and the enemies advances were showing an increasingly large enemy force that was beginning to dwarf his own defences.​

apr22460800gr1.jpg

Any prospect of offensive action in this area was out of the question. The Kwantung Army would play a defensive game for now as the bombers tried to reduce the enemy numbers. The Soviets had advanced into Jiamusi and Heihe which threatened Terauchi's own position in Harbin. He had more troops heading his way from Indochina and he hoped they would arrive soon enough.​

2200 April 23rd 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Central Marshalls.

The Allied fleets around New Ireland were determined to try and take the island. Japanese Cruiser Divisions were equally determined to prevent this from happening.​

apr23462200gr1.jpg

There were now four enemy Transport Flotillas in the St. George's Channel. As was usual in war the side with the guns would prevail and the defenceless Transports would be forced to leave, their job unfinished.​

apr23462200gr2.jpg

Ishimaru and Genda had rested for a long time on Eniwetok and were now turned loose on the areas closer to Hawaii. Ozawa hoped that he might find the enemy Carriers that were still alive using these long range bombers. Their first encounter would be with two modern Destroyer Divisions, one of which they would sink.​