• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
German submarines of WW II were also called "iron coffins". From 44 000 men, who served on these submarines, 35 000 died.
Most of rembles subs are still modell III and IV, only good, when used in bigger stacks, 12 or better 18 in a group.
The other question is, if remble wants to build more subs, if not the research for the two submarine doctrines was wasted time.

Nice update and progress, but I am concerned by your inability to enforce your blockade lately. Something needs to be done about this.

Honestly I think one more run of Nav's wouldn't be really cheating, as now you have a larger area to defend, and you wouldn't be "concentrating" them like you would have before.

I have no real problems with the use of NAV's in this situation to keep up the blockade of your half of the pacific.

germanpeon - The advances are going fairly well so far :)

Fgorginator - They do seem to be losing a few certainly. The Australians lost all of theirs long ago in Burma and India when they tried to support the British. I expect to only find infantry to fight now.

robou - There are more that I can't reach with CAS but I got around that easily enough.

Sokraates - It will calm down when war with the Soviets starts? I guess watching 500 divisions fight eachother is slightly less management than keeping an eye on the fleets. The Subs have done their job fairly well considering the large handicap they have.

Phax - Thank you :)

alan_le_cowboy - Hopefully enemy aircraft will be out of range soon enough. I can include ship damage yes, its fairly light right now.

stnylan - Attacking New Guinea doesn't get them anywhere but it also means I still have to garrison it which ties up my troops. I hate leaving enemy troops behind my lines unless they are cut off from supply so they had to be captured.

HannibalBarca - Going backwards will be a nice change of pace in the Spring I expect ;)

cjwet - I did the research purely because I inherited so many Subs. Had I only had Japanese Subs I probably wouldn't have bothered for a long time. I might build more as they are expendable scouts compared to the much more costly larger ships.

Reado - They have done well preventing invasions although they do seem to miss quite a bit too in bad weather.

Maj. von Mauser - My blockade has given way to advances of late. I will reinforce it once I stop moving forwards but this will require re-configuring the IJN again. You can expect to see Heavy Cruiser and Destroyer fleets running around with one fairly large BB fleet and two Carrier fleets. I might build some more TAC's as they are multi-roll, but NAV's are out as they are against my own rules unless already built.

darthkommandant - The way things are proceeding the IJN should be able to block the Pacific without much help soon. The USN is very badly mauled already and the RN is hiding.

Update to conclude February to follow ...

Operation Obsolete

0100 February 22nd 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Osaka.

American forces in the Pacific were on the back foot in all respects which allowed Ozawa to advance almost at will without fear of retaliation.​

feb22460100gr2.jpg

The arrival of General Itagaki on Rabaul would provide another base for Japanese forces and deny its use to the Allies. An unknown number of aircraft had been caught on the islands airbase and been destroyed by the landing.​

feb22460100gr1.jpg

Ozawa would switch his bomber forces around as a result of capturing a front line airbase. All Close Air Support aircraft, led by Nakajima, would rebase to Rabaul which would allow the longer ranged Tactical bombers to operate in Australia. There would be no hiding place for Australian forces from now on.​

feb22461200gr1.jpg

By 1200 hours Gasmata had also been secured which would allow for further invasions in the area of the Solomons and Bismarck Achipelago.​

feb22462200gr1.jpg

In the early hours of February 23rd the Tactical bombers arrived over their first targets in southern Australia and provided updated intelligence. Carrier Group C had also moved south to investigate the defences of Canberra.

Western Australia was better defended than its eastern counterpart which should allow for a more rapid advance into the industrial heartland of the Country. Troops in the west were still well dug in and had not reacted to Japanese advances as of yet.​

feb23462100gr1.jpg

Mikawa had embarked two divisions from northern Australia and sped south to try and take advantage of the vacant Australian capital. Akashika had not landed to protect the initial supply depot in Australia and would instead lead the forces heading for Canberra. Carrier Group C would protect the invasion and try and sink whatever was hiding in the port.​

feb24460100gr1.jpg

The invasion of Canberra was halted five hours later as an enemy division arrived. The Tactical bombers would not reach the area in time to assist and would have to destroy this division before a second attempt could be made.​

feb24460800gr1.jpg

Allied ships left Admiralty Island on February 24th and encountered the Submarine force trying to blockade the port. The Destroyers would prove to be decisive and force a withdrawal by the Submarines as they lost 57. Unterseebootsflottille. The Submarines would head to Hollandia for repairs.​

feb24461200gr2.jpg

A Battlefleet would be needed to secure the Ysabel Channel and only one was free. Ozawa gave the order for his own Battlefleet, BB Division 1, to sail south to Hollandia before enforcing the blockade on the Ysabel Channel. Most of his ships were fully repaired or mostly so with only the Light Carrier IJN Zuiho still showing signs of heavy damage.​

feb26460500gr1.jpg

Lt. General Hasebe captured Broome in north western Australia at 0500 hours on February 26th and marched onwards towards Goldsworthy. There were Australian forces marching towards this area as well but Japanese bombers could assist if needed.​

feb26460900gr1.jpg

BB Division 2 encountered two Transport Divisions in the St. George's Channel at 0900 hours on the 26th, one of which was sunk by IJN Fuso. Troops had already been embarked from Gasmata and were on their way to their next target.​

feb26462200gr1.jpg

Tactical bombers covering southern Australia had removed the defenders of Canberra at some cost to themselves from the heavy anti-aircraft fire in the area. Mikawa ordered the troops onboard his Transport fleet to attempt another landing.​

feb28460000gr1.jpg

Lt. General Izeki had not needed to travel far to begin another invasion. His target was the undefended Buka Island where his troops could support a landing against Bougainville once they had reorganised.​

feb28462100gr1.jpg

Carrier Group D had moved south to investigate the defences of Guadalcanal and much to Ozawa's surprise it was defenceless. Imamura and Banzai were still not totally rested but would move immediately to take advantage of this lapse in the enemy defences.

Admiral Spruance had run out of luck a long time ago and he would find himself on the receiving end of another encounter with the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was unlucky enough to meet the strongest Battlefleet at sea.​

feb29460000gr1.jpg

Ozawa and BB Division 1 more or less ran him over during their transit south towards Hollandia. Spruance could have been conducting an invasion towards Ngulu when he was unfortunate enough to be found. Whatever he was doing in the Yap Channel quickly ended when the Battlecruiser IJN Kongo and Battleship IJN Yamashiro sank the ships he had been commanding.​

feb29460500gr1.jpg

The capture of Canberra at 0500 hours on February 29th would see a modest increase to Japan's stockpiles as well as the capture of some more aircraft. Sydney was the new capital and was not far away. The troops in Canberra were too tired to advance for the time being but forces advancing from further north could be used to seize the area to the east.​

feb29461000gr1.jpg

Two of the three divisions in Rabaul were embarked at 1000 hours on the 29th and headed towards Bougainville, where support for their amphibious assault would be provided from the freshly captured Buka Island.​

feb29461600gr1.jpg

Six hours later Japanese marines began their own assault of Guadalcanal protected by Carrier Group C.​

feb29462000gr1.jpg

BB Division 1 arrived in Hollandia late on February 29th, and sailed immediately for the Ysabel Channel, where they would arrive early on March 1st.​

0000 February 30th 1946.
Diplomatic Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Mamuro had asked the Soviet Ambassador for another visit as there was still some milage to be gained from re-negotiating contracts currently in place.​

feb30460000gr2.jpg

More supplies would be saved due to the latest change in terms between the two Countries. The Soviet Ambassador declined to stay for Tea which was not what Mamoru had expected. He was beginning to become a little suspicious.​

0000 February 30th 1946.
Intelligence Headquarters. Tokyo, Japan.

Kuniaki was already gathering his intelligence reports for the meeting the next day when Nakajima informed him that they had completed research into a usable Turbojet Engine.​

feb30460000gr1.jpg

They were tasked with working out how to fit it to Japanese Interceptors as Kuniaki asked for several reports to be verified and re-sent before the meeting the following day. Something was very wrong with the numbers he had been provided by some of his agents.​

So ominous! This isnt good. For you, the player, that is. It is excellent for us readers. :p

I must admit to being surprised the Bear has been so quiet.

I have to say I'm super stoked for the showdown with Russia. I'm gonna predict that the crux of the entire game will be reached ten months - a year after DOW as the Bear brings the bulk of his army into contact with your line in Siberia, or wherever you may be at that point. I'm curious what plans you have as far as Manpower goes, seems to me that success or failure in the coming war will depend heavily on your ability to reinforce effectively till you can achieve some breakthroughs and even the odds numerically. How many MP per day do you get? Keep up the good work Remble!

Chipseal

The Americans and Australians really leaving some gaps for you there... lets hope you can exploit that! Also, on another note, about the manpower problem, surely taking China and India improved this alot did it not?

Remble said:
Sokraates - It will calm down when war with the Soviets starts? I guess watching 500 divisions fight eachother is slightly less management than keeping an eye on the fleets.

Of course: no more invading hostile territory, no more long, dreadful marches but only blissful defense and from time to time a front adjustment. :)

On a more serious note, I always experience island hopping and coordinating a bunch of invasions in the Pacific more demanding than attacking over a long but cohesive front. Furthermore, Soviet infrastructure in Siberia (or, more precisely, the lack of it) will slow the war down considerably ... which is, of course, suboptimal for Japan, to say the least.

I'm glad to see that March has arrived and the mystery of the Soviets will be solved. My bet is that Stalin has finally found out that he needed Java and Ceylon for his pipe and his samovar. Or maybe he has just been bitten by the March Hare?

The March Hare and Uncle Sam sacrificing sheep to the God of Tea and War

robou said:
The Americans and Australians really leaving some gaps for you there... lets hope you can exploit that! Also, on another note, about the manpower problem, surely taking China and India improved this alot did it not?

Unless there's a land connection to your capital, provinces don't actually provide manpower if your country is in a state of war. Kinda crappy for Japan.

thatguy said:
Unless there's a land connection to your capital, provinces don't actually provide manpower if your country is in a state of war. Kinda crappy for Japan.

ah i see, that does suck for Japan a bit. Still, lets hope the prepared defences can hold off uncle joe!