• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sokraates said:
A few days into the invasion and Australia has already proven, that the name of the operation has been chosen well.

Now all that remains is to ask, what Japan will do once it has occupied Australia. I know the answer gamewise, but truly, what would ANY nation want to do with Australia? Mining sand for artificial beaches? Gathering wool to make cozy hats for those long Siberian winters? ... I think some mysteries will forever remain unsolved.

Now a serious question: How long do you usually allow your forces to rest, i.e. how much organisation do you wait for before you send them to their next mission?

In RL: All kinds of resources save for Oil ( AFAIK ) everything can be found in Australia.

What you might not get Grapp is that taking Persia would be a HUGE mistake.

1.) Another Border with the Soviet Union to defend.

2.) He will lose the strategic choke point that he has barring the way to India right now.

3.) Not olny will he have a border with the SU, but now more beaches and provences to try to defend from the Allies.

4.) Persia is completely worthless to Remble right now, as is Tibet which others are also urging he take.

This isn't like his German AAR, where he could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, to whoever he wanted.

I think that after you annex Australia you should puppet it. I know you think that it is “Gamey” but Japan’s policy was to puppet nations look at what they did in China. Also I don’t think you can occupy Australia properly while fighting the Soviets.

As for the people who think Tibet needs to be annexed I believe you are all wrong. Nothing would be gained by it.

Remble's policy on puppets seems quite clear throughout his AARs, despite the interesting limitations it places upon his gameplay. As has been said before, it is rather 'gamey'. Despite the circumstances and the history of Japan establishing puppet governments, in this instance such a form of co-operation in an occupied 'Western' nation would, I think, be very unlikely.

In reality Japan would have had to garrison the region, and could not at all have relied upon 'native' forces, if any still existed.

Fears of the 'Yellow Peril' being realised would and did lead to a great deal of resentment, racism and anger, which is reflected in-game by the high level of dissent in Oceania.

Ruodnane said:
Remble's policy on puppets seems quite clear throughout his AARs, despite the interesting limitations it places upon his gameplay. As has been said before, it is rather 'gamey'. Despite the circumstances and the history of Japan establishing puppet governments, in this instance such a form of co-operation in an occupied 'Western' nation would, I think, be very unlikely.

In reality Japan would have had to garrison the region, and could not at all have relied upon 'native' forces, if any still existed.

Fears of the 'Yellow Peril' being realised would and did lead to a great deal of resentment, racism and anger, which is reflected in-game by the high level of dissent in Oceania.

With this being said, what is the incentive of invading Australia (other than showing that you can)?

Uhh. Maybe as a WC, also to eliminate it's valuable ports and bases.

It isn't all about making puppet's you know.

And to be truthful, it is something for him to do to keep us entertained until the Soviet DOW.

trekaddict said:
In RL: All kinds of resources save for Oil ( AFAIK ) everything can be found in Australia.

Thank you. Interestingly, natural resources are always an afterthought to me ... gamewise and IRL. At least IRL I always know where to get resources from: the supermarket.

Nathan Madien said:
With this being said, what is the incentive of invading Australia (other than showing that you can)?

Remble wanted to deny the Allies more ports and airbases. I don't know whether the resources are an incentive (see above). At any rate the invasion adds excitement and as such is great for the AAR and the readership.

first south Africans, now Colombians. these are their last days, let them enjoy.

good luck with your Australia and New Zealand campaign and watch out for the Anzac corps. they are tough guys, we all know them from Dardanelles (Gallipoli Campaign, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Campaign ).

and one question: is the improved rocket interceptor tech required for turbo-jet interceptor (i know practical turbo-jet engine is required)? if not, i`ll say why i asked.

Conquer Australia!

...that'd be the easy part. You'll really push your forces to the limits garrisoning that rebellious piece of sand. But I suppose it had to be done, or else the U.S. will have a huge front opening to your south for a counterattack when you're busy duking it out with the commies.

Though I suppose removing Australia will allow you to bring those divisions in Indonesia to where they can be at least a bit busier and more useful.

harezmi said:
and one question: is the improved rocket interceptor tech required for turbo-jet interceptor (i know practical turbo-jet engine is required)? if not, i`ll say why i asked.
Because they have like, the crappiest range for any aircraft at their tech level? :p

I'd hazard a guess that it does, since I don't see why Remble would research it otherwise. He himself stopped "upgrading" his interceptors when they reached the pre-rocket level.

Unfortunately the interceptor upgrade path includes model VI and VII - the rocket ones. Turbojet int is VIII. So remble stopped at Int-V to avoid the useless rocket int's and is waiting for the turbojet ones. And then -I guess- he upgrades one group after the other as fast as possible from V to VIII.

Have fun with your CAS, remble ;)

Sokraates said:
Remble wanted to deny the Allies more ports and airbases. I don't know whether the resources are an incentive (see above). At any rate the invasion adds excitement and as such is great for the AAR and the readership.

Ah, that makes sense. I was looking at it from an angle of being a strain on manpower and such by forcing Remble to put garrisons in Australia. I suppose it is worth it in the end. Good luck with invading Australia, then. :)

OneArmed - I hope you enjoyed your snow :)

Grapp, Maj. von Mauser - Maj. von Mauser is correct Persia would not be a good idea as it overextends my position and would open another Soviet Front. The oil in Persia would be nice but it can wait.

Krases - Yes it could. Amazing what people notice when they read these boards.

robou, stnylan - Invasions are fun and the Pacific has a lot of potential fun areas.

safferli - A lot of my upgrades are for infantry and I do have a fair few 1943 models. Once they are upgraded it will 1943 vs 1945 for most of the time as I do not plan researching 1945 for some time as it takes oil. There is some difference but using combined arms it negates it mostly.

Sokraates, trekaddict - Resources as trekaddict pointed out. There is a fair amount of energy in southern Australia which will be useful as well as whatever industry I will get. IC always helps TC which is going to take a hammering as a result of an Australian conqust. The amount of rest depends on what they are doing next. Amphibious forces I tend to rest more than ground forces but I rest everything pretty well for major offensives. I also use offensive supply for rest periods as it halves the time required to regain organisation.

Cpt Rossi, Ruodnane, Nathan Madien, Sokraates - No puppets allowed except the ones I started with. Rules are rules :) I think Ruodnane is correct that I would have to garrison Australia anyway. Germany had to garrison France as it remained filled with partisan activity even with the Vichy event. Australia has no Vichy event so would be more trouble. Sokraates is correct about why I decided to invade it. Denial of enemy bases is the primary motive followed by removing an enemy and resources. Cpt. Rossi is right about Tibet, its not worth the partisan problem it causes but it will become part of the Japanese Empire in due course as long as I can defeat the Red Army.

Maj. von Mauser - True it does keep you entertained while we wait for Spring but I would not jeoperdise the game for entertainments sake, although some might say attacking the Soviets might do that :)

harezmi, Irenicus, Thurak - New Zealand may have to wait a while as I am on a time limit in the Pacific. All of my bombers except the NAV's will be moved to Asia in April to reorganise prior to attacking the Soviets. Without them I cannot conquer defended islands.

Regarding the INT's the answer has already been given. The two initial rocket upgrades make the INT's worse and I will wait until I can research the main rocket INT tech before upgrading through the two more useless ones. I also cannot use the INT's for naval patrols during the two extra tech upgrades as they lose that ability during the process.

alan_le_cowboy - Slider move should be in June but I was a couple weeks late last time so it is in early July. Slider moves are just tweaking now anyway as all the major ones have been made. Central Planning is likely to be the next move just to increase IC for TC purposes as I won't have the resources to run the extra IC fully. I expect to start running out of energy after 2 or 3 months once I DoW the Soviets. There will be enough to support the IC I need for running most things and I do not expect it to have much impact other than on builds.

Update to follow ...

Operation Obsolete

2200 January 8th 1946.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Osaka.

Current intelligence reports indicated that Australian defensive forces had reacted to the invasions around Darwin as expected. This left them vunerable to attacks to the east of the initial assaults.​

jan8462200gr1.jpg

Lt. General Iida began his amphibious assault on Weipa at 2200 hours on January 8th and was due ashore at dawn on the 10th.​

jan9460100gr1.jpg

Ichimaru and Genda continued to harass Admiral Reeves as he turned his fleet north. He was now heading to the east of the Marshalls but would still be easily in range for several more days. So far Reeves had lost the Heavy Cruiser USS Pittsburg to the marauding Naval bombers.

Ozawa ordered the second trial of the latest island combat technique at 0000 hours on January 9th. The assault began an hour later as Japanese combined forces decended on Truk.​

jan9460100gr2.jpg

General Imamura would lead the amphibious assault from the sea while General Itakagi commanded the six infantry divisions on Satawan, who attacked across the narrow strait between the islands.

Support was provided by fourteen Tactical bomber squadrons and BB Division 2. The bombing of the island had reduced the defenders ability to hold off an attack and the marines in particular had the advantage during the assault. Even with massive support the battle would not be an easy one.​

jan9461200gr1.jpg

The latest reports from Australia indicated good progress as the final two defending divisions from Darwin were forced to retreat again, this time from Katherine. The Dive bombers had almost destroyed the fighting capability of the division in Borroloola where a headquarters division was also heading from further east.​

jan9462100gr1.jpg

The news from Truk was also good as the sun rose on January 9th. Japanese troops were taking casualties, mostly the infantry from Satawan, but so were the defending forces, led by a French division. Lack of supply was causing more problems for the defenders even though they did manage to receive a small amount at midnight. Japanese forces overcame the defences at 0200 hours on January 10th and five Allied divisions were captured.

Imamura was due to reclaim the island at 0600 hours on January 11th.​

jan10462100gr1.jpg

Iida landed in Weipa at 2100 hours on January 10th to open up a second beach head in Australia. Ozawa would now focus on joining the two seperate invasions into one solid front. Troops would advance south from Weipa along the coast to capture airbases in the region.​

jan11460500gr1.jpg

One hour before occupying Truk enemy aircraft were still visible on the islands airbase. They would not take off before Imamura captured Truk at 0600 hours. The amount of squadrons destroyed was unknown but any were a bonus. Only one island remained enemy controlled in the Carolines and Japanese forces now held all of the airbase and port facilities of the islands.​

jan11461300gr1.jpg

All six infantry divisions were embarked onto two Transport Fleets which sailed for Yap at 1300 hours. Yap's infrastructure would allow the troops to recover quicker from the assault on Truk which would in turn lead to an earlier invasion of Ngulu to secure the Carolines. The marines would wait on Truk to recover as they were in better condition. Defence of Satawan would be handed over to the Submarines patrolling the East Carolines for the time being. BB Division 2 and Japanese Tactical bombers were close by if required to assist.​

jan12460000gr1.jpg

By 0000 hours on January 12th Admiral Reeves had managed to get three more of his ships sunk. Two more Heavy Cruisers, USS Augusta and USS Tuscaloosa, had been sunk along with the 43rd Destroyer Division. Reeves would move out of Ichimaru and Genda's reach overnight and would be given some reprieve as a result. His fleet was no longer a threat to any major Japanese Battlefleet.​

jan12460500gr1.jpg

The Royal South African Air Force attempted to re-assert itself over the Carolines at 0500 on January 12th without much success. The single Interceptor squadron decided to attack seven Japanese Interceptors. Only seven squadrons survived the encounter and none were South African.​

Ozawa had ordered Japanese Submarines around New Guinea further east and south to increase the protected zone. They provided intelliegence on Rabaul that indicated an enemy fleet was using the port on the island. Ozawa ordered Lt. General Itabana and his three more modern Tactical bomber squadrons to Lae where they would investigate the enemy fleet. Itabana arrived at 0500 hours on January 13th and his report would see a suspension of the bombing of Ngulu.​

jan13460500gr1.jpg

Admiral Fletcher was currently commanding a fleet containing three modern American Aircraft Carriers which were carrying out repairs in Rabaul. The Carriers were those responsible for the attack on BB Division 1 in the Marshall islands. Ozawa hoped that they would stay there until dawn, which was fourteen hours away. The airbase in Lae province suddenly became flooded with Tactical bombers as they rebased from Yap.

Fourteen Tactical bomber squadrons arrived over Rabaul at 1900 hours on January 13th and by 2100 hours the first ship had been sunk. The USS Coral Sea would soon be followed by other ships as the bombers tore into the vessels tied up alongside.​

jan13462100gr1.jpg

The remainder of the 13th and early 14th saw no further ships sunk but both remaining Carriers suatained heavy damage. The fleet was still there when the bombers returned at dawn on January 14th. Leahy would not have much of a fleet left to command after another day of bombing.

The USS Ranger sank at midnight on the 15th avenging the sinking of IJN Hyuga. Five hours later the Carrier USS Leyte was also sunk. By 0700 hours on January 16th only two Destroyer Divisions remained as the Heavy Cruiser USS Wichita and Light Cruiser USS Boise also sank. Neither Destroyer Division would surive for another day as the entire fleet was sent to bottom of Rabaul harbour. Their job completed the bombers moved back to Yap to inflict more organisational damage to the defenders of Ngulu.​

jan16460400gr1.jpg

Ozawa had expected Reeves to head to Pearl Harbour for repairs but he had decided to turn west instead. His fleet was picked up by patrolling aircraft at 0400 hours on January 16th as it passed north of Eniwetok on route to the Mariana Trench.​

jan17460100gr1.jpg

Another American division was forced to retreat from Katherine as Japanese troops continued their advance in Australia.​

jan17461000gr1.jpg

At 1000 hours on January 17th the troops that had been part of the second invasion area began their own advance as they attacked Normanton forcing the defending division back. Cairns had already been captured and Townsville was the next coastal objective. Japanese forces now had an airbase on the east coast to add to Darwin. Range was causing some problems as the Close Air Support aircraft could not reach inland areas of the Country.​

jan19460000gr3.jpg

By 0000 hours on January 19th both invasion areas had been linked after the capture of Normanton and Borroloola. Enemy resistance had now turned light after some reduction to their numbers had been made by the bombers. Advances would continue until such time as larger enemy troop concentrations were encountered.​

jan19460000gr1.jpg

Both marine divisions were also embarked from Truk and sailed for the Yap Trench where they would lead the assault on Ngulu upon arrival. BB division 2 and Japanese bombers would again support this amphibious assault. No defenders were left on Truk and the Submarines would temporarily be responsible for keeping the island Japanese.

Two Transport fleets had moved further west and were picking up troops from various islands in Indonesia to provide a defensive force for the islands of the Carolines.​

Last edited:
Operations look to be going very well. The retaking of Truk is particularly good. I presume from that bombing you are now going to clean up the remaining Americans on that final island rather than bypass them?

You appear to mostly have free reign in Australia.

Nice job dealing with that fleet Remble. I think the admiral that commanded them is now permanently out of a job...

Maj. von Mauser said:
I think the admiral that commanded them is now permanently out of a job...
Thats what they said about Spruance! :p

germanpeon said:
Thats what they said about Spruance! :p

And what is he doing lately, besides commanding some Troop Transports? :D