• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reado said:
but aint the indian ocean connected to the alantic ocean under the horn of africa? not some canal from the med?

or is my SAT level geography not taught me anything?
I think he means by land. The Suez has a land connection to Egypt, but it is an over water connection so it makes it very difficult to attack over.

Man, I havent commented in a while. Good work Remble!

I am glad to see that the Emperor desires the push towards final, ultimate victory to begin as soon as the sakura begin to blossom. It will be no doubt interesting to see the Empire of Japan at war with the only 3 other powers in the world. Plus South Africa, of course.

An interesting update.

Deliberately going to war with the Soviet Union? Reminds me of a line from Star Wars: "We are taking an awful risk, Lord Vader. This has better work."

Ruodnane said:
I am glad to see that the Emperor desires the push towards final, ultimate victory to begin as soon as the sakura begin to blossom. It will be no doubt interesting to see the Empire of Japan at war with the only 3 other powers in the world. Plus South Africa, of course.

An interesting update.

Speaking of sakura, here's an idea in dealing with Allied stacks. Send a magical girl to the stacks in question and have her turn all the soldiers into cards. :p I am sure the Japanese would like to play with cards.

What?

Attacking the Soviets? Are you out of your mind?!

They outproduce you, they outnumber you, they probably out class you (except on the navy), you have an economic dependence on their raw materials, you don’t have any significant spare transport capacity, you barely have enough manpower to keep up with your losses, you still don’t have a strong defensive position in the Pacific, you lack the air power to cover anything else besides the Pacific and India... and you are going to start a land fight in Asia.

What are you thinking of? I sincerely hope that we’ll see the Emperor falling back on that one or at least a military coup helping him to do so...

I have the distinct feeling, that interesting months lie ahead of us. Though I can fully understand the Emperor. Japans problems can only be solved by conquering a major poer. Yemen and Oman ar gone, the US is declining, the UK is a shadow of its former self, so Japan has to ackle with the SU. Simple as that. :D

Yeah, but he still has the mighty RSAAF to deal with...

Inspiring. I've just finished my first game as Germany in the '44 scenario (got the Bitter Peace and sealioned the UK, so it's pretty much done). Going to start a Japan game now. :D

My apologies if you've already answered this, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere- what difficulty/aggression settings are you playing on?

MightMakesRight said:
My apologies if you've already answered this, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere- what difficulty/aggression settings are you playing on?

From the first post:

Scenario: Gotterdammerung 1944.
Difficulty: Very Hard/Normal.
Version: DD v1.3a.

:)

stnylan, Fgorginator, robou, Maj. von Mauser - Its nothing earth shattering. Just a weakness I can exploit.

Delex, Fgorginator, Reado - Fgorginator is correct it would overextend my position too much. Taking out Suez would not help really as they can still invade India or anywhere behind my front line if I push into the Middle East. You can go around Africa to get there too as well as through the Suez Canal.

alan_le_cowboy, cloneof - I really should already be at war with the Soviets, I am very lucky not to be.

germanpeon - Thank you and welcome back :p

Ruodnane - I am already at War with almost everyone, what difference will one more Country make :)

Nathan Madien - A little risky I would guess, yes.

elbasto - I am quite possibly out of my mind. You are correct on all counts but you missed one thing. The longer the Soviets remain neutral the stronger they get. Eventually they might even have a fleet and I cannot allow that to happen. Right now I am outnumbered about 5 or 6 to one, that will only get worse as time goes on. They don't have a manpower problem, I do :)

Funkatronica - Who is to say the Red hordes will make it any less one sided :)

Delex - Tibet has to fall at some point, probably some time after I control Moscow.

Sokraates - Correct, I have little choice. At least if I do it I don't have to worry about when they will. They might still beat me to it though.

MightMakesRight, Gaute65 - Thank you. Both are fun to play it seems. Gaute65 is of course correct with it being Very Hard / Normal.

Update to follow ...

A Pacific War

0000 December 1st 1945.
Industry Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Ginjiro quickly acted on the discussions during the previous meeting by altering priorities for upgrades.​

dec1450000gr.jpg

All Interceptor squadrons in the Pacific, including the largest wing commanded by Mj. General Tanaka based on Yap, received the highest priority upgrades possible. As a consequence they were all also grounded for the upgrades to take place.​

0700 December 1st 1945.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, In Transit.

Osami had also quickly advised his Pacific Force Commander, Admiral Ozawa, of changes to invasion doctrine.​

dec1450700gr.jpg

Three infantry divisions that had been initially ordered to invade Wolelai after the failure of the marines were ordered to disembark on Woleai island instead. Osami already knew that if the marines could not succeed in a direct assault nor would the infantry. Both marine divisions would rest for a few days on Yap before the new doctrine was tested.​

0900 December 1st 1945.
Nagaoka, Japan.

For two days prior to the state funeral hundreds of thousands of people had passed silently by the coffin as Yamamoto laid in state paying their last respects to a man held dear.

The funeral procession was large as befitted one of Japan's greatest military Commanders. The crew of the repairing IJN Nagato had made the short journey from their Osaka base to form the honour guard for the man who had used their Battleship as his headquarters during the attack on Pearl Harbour.​

State_funeral_of_Isoroku_Yamamoto.jpg

Directly behind the coffin was the Emperor with Chief of staff for the Navy Osami and Chief of Staff Tanigawa next in line. The remainder of the Cabinet were behind them.

The Imperial Japanese Army were tasked with security and providing a contingent. Field Marshal Sugiyama led troops from the Imperial GHQ based in Tokyo with Chief of staff for the Army Satoru at his side closely followed by representatives from the Imperial Japanese Air Force led by Chief of staff for the Air Force Jun.

There was also a large Naval presence with a large part of the crews from Carrier Group D and the Battleship IJN Musashi in attendance.

All of this paled in comparison to the civilian numbers lining the entire procession route. Tens of thousands of ordinary Japanese men, women and children lined both sides of every street to honour a Hero of Japan.

The city of Nagaoka was as silent as any city could be during the entire hour the body of Grand Admiral Yamamoto took to be conveyed from the Imperial residence in the city to his final resting place at the Temple of Chuko-ji.

He would be sorely missed.​

0800 December 2nd 1945.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

All aircraft had been grounded at dusk the previous day and were to remain that way until 0000 hours December 2nd by order of the Emperor himself.​

dec2450800gr1.jpg

The first aircraft to arrive over their target were several hours later than usual as a result as they began their bombing run over Karachi. The Allied forces present had decreased considerably from their triumphant march back into the province and they knew their days were numbered.​

0800 December 2nd 1945.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, In Transit.

The force build up for upcoming operations had begun. The designated launch point was Sorong in New Guinea.​

dec2450800gr2.jpg

Admiral Kato had embarked two of the three defensive divisions from Palau and turned his fleet south. These troops were merely the tip of the spear.​

dec2450800gr.jpg

Bombers also returned to Merauke to continue their destruction of the doomed American invasion of the province. One division was close to ceasing to exist with only one remaining. Trying to march through thick jungle was bad enough but it was futile to try and accomplish it under a constant hail of accurately dropped bombs.​

1800 December 2nd 1945.
North China Army Headquarters. Lanzhou, China.

General Abe had been beaten to Sukkur by a British motorised division. It would not matter.​

dec2451800gr1.jpg

Abe had three divisions under his command and he knew he would win. His troops had inferior equipment but were more experienced after fighting their way first through Burma and then across India. There was also the presence of five Dive bomber squadrons to assist which would likely be of some small help.​

dec3451100gr1.jpg

By 1100 hours on December 3rd he had not only won the battle but had occupied Sukkur. His troops would rest for a few hours before they advanced on Karachi.​

0400 December 3rd 1945.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Kwajalein.

Ozawa had moved BB Division 1 back to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands as this was now the front line in the Pacific.​

dec3450400gr2.jpg

The island was slightly more vunerable than others controlled by Japan as it could be reached by marching from Maloelap to the east. Ozawa would ensure that did not happen.​

dec3450400gr1.jpg

Admiral Triye had embarked two thirds of the Guam garrison and also headed south towards Sorong. These experienced troops would be the spearhead of future plans.​

dec3451100gr2.jpg

By 1100 hours the final American division on New Guinea was close to collapse as squadron after squadron of Japanese bombers dived towards their target.​

dec4451900gr2.jpg

The early morning hours of December 4th saw another Japanese invasion commence. Lt. General Kasahara led three divisions, supported by BB Division 3, ashore as they advanced on Attu Island in the extreme north of the Pacific. The Japanese troops held a small night advantage but the snow covered island would be a big obstacle for them to overcome.​

dec5451100gr1.jpg

By 1100 hours on the 5th that obstacle had proved to be too much. One of his three divisions had already been forced out of the assault and both of the remaining divisions would halt their attacks shortly afterwards. A return visit to this island would have to be made during the spring or summer months as a winter attack was out of the question without a significantly larger force.

None of the islands to the east were in range of invasion from Wake Island and both fleets would make their way south once the surviving troops made it back onboard the Transport ships.​

dec6450000gr1.jpg

The first Interceptor squadrons to be upgraded belonged to Mj. General Fukui based in Lae. His aircraft were still in need of repairs after a brush with South African Interceptors. His aircraft returned to the list of things not to be upgraded further for the time being. The upgrades had occured inside a week which was particularly quick.​

0000 December 6th 1945.
Diplomatic Headquarters. Tokyo, Japan.

Mamoru had been keeping a close eye on Japan's relations with the Soviet Union. Those relations had improved markedly and it was time to make the most of it.​

dec6450000gr2.jpg

The Soviet Ambassador was not too happy to renegotiate one of the many trade agreements between the two Countries but his hands were tied as the Soviets needed supplies almost as much as Japan needed energy. More Japanese production would head towards upgrades as a result of the better terms for Japan.​

0900 December 6th 1945.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Kwajalein.

The last person Ozawa had expected to receive a combat report from was Admiral Nomura. The attack on Attu island should have been almost a complete surprise to the Allies.​

dec6450900gr2.jpg

Even more of a surprise was the presence of a Canadian Battlecruiser. How on earth did they manage to produce a modern one of them. Nomura was not overly concerned as IJN Yamato was more than a match for the enemy captial ship. Just because his Flagship was superior did not mean its performance would necessarily be so.​

dec6451100gr1.jpg

BB Division 3 would win the battle convincingly in the end but it was far from a routine battle. Nomura lost a Transport Flotilla, 2. Truppentransporterflottille, to HMCS Canada before his ships even got into line.

IJN Yamato did not even fire a shot for the first two hours of the engagement and it was the Heavy Cruiser HMCS Manitoba that would be the first to shoot its own Battlecruiser. As if as a pointer BB Division 3 finally got itself together. The Yamato's guns erupted into life to prevent HMCS Manitoba sinking HMCS Canada, which would be sunk by the Heavy Cruiser IJN Takao. Nomura had failed to protect his charge completely but the results would be satisfactory.​

dec7450700gr1.jpg

Both BB Division 3 and 8. Kaigun were initially ordered towards Sorong by Ozawa following the battle. 13. Kaigun Submarines would remain off the coast of Attu to provide intelligence.​

dec7451200gr1.jpg

Carrier Group C intercepted and failed to sink a Transport Division in the Torres Strait shortly afterwards. Luckily for Nagano it was empty and did not reinforce Merauke. The first week of December had not gone particularly well for Japanese forces in the Pacific but on the otherhand nothing disastrous had happened either. Minor setbacks could always be overcome.​

That was a surprise - but the sort that only works once.

It is rather odd to see the Canucks with a modern ship.

Anyways, nice update, hopefully you will triumph against Attu next time.

Are you going to change the way Karachi is defended after the Allies are pushed out? I suppose it would actually be advantageous for them to occasionally push you back as it allows you to bomb their divisions into the dust. Hmmm, if I didnt love static defense so much (dont ask, I just do :p ) Id say keep on doing what you are doing. :)

Those sneaky Canadians. One shouldn't trust a nations full of lumberjacks. :mad:

At least I take from your writing that no division was lost.

Now I'm eagerly waiting to see what your semi-secrets plans for reducing stacks are.