• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well i finally got round to having a go myself, trying to emulate rembles success.

succed in capturing china

beat 1st us carrier group (it was going so well)

sink 3 battleships, lose the fuso

britain push into western china (nothing i can do most troops fighting in the pasific)

encounter major us carrier group, loss all my carriers due to his bombers

america invades - its all over by mid 1947

Remble i bow down, cos i just dont know how you do it

trekaddict, Fgorginator - The Red Army has a few problems :)

Thurak, Tob.Ristlin, Krogzar, zdlugasz, I Killed Kenny - My apologies for any confusion. Syria was indeed annexed and not puppeted as I posted. The previous update has been edited to reflect the true situation. I will always annex as has been previously stated.

Lord Strange - Baku will certainly hurt the Soviets although they probably have enough oil reserves to last until 2000.

Maj. von Mauser - Resistance has crumbled certainly. Time for the boring march into the Soviet Union :)

Inner Circle - Thanks. Suez might be a little further than I really want to go but I will have to take it sooner or later.

ozidnz - Tirana might be a small problem to take but other than that the Soviet Union should be almost destroyed during 1948.

BobaFett696 - Thank you very much :)

rampagingmouse - This is probably the most difficult scenario and the hardest major country to play using vanilla HoI DD. Germany is relatively easy by contrast as it does not have as much to control or contend with. The capture of Saipan and the use of aircraft to keep the IJN alive are probably critical to success as is capturing China's energy. A late Soviet DoW also helped. It is a micro-managing balancing act for the first few years.

Monthly update to follow ...

Update (December 1st 1947)

0000 December 1st 1947.
Imperial Palace. Tokyo, Japan.

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. We will begin with Industry this month." Hideki started the monthly meeting.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning." Ginjiro began. "No major developments occured during November but I do have one new concern."​

dec1470000prod.jpg

"Raw material stockpiles are under control and gained a boost from the capture of Syria. The new concern is for our Supply situation which has deteriorated during the last month with an increase in our supply lines as more forces move further west. As you can see I have little to no spare Industrial Capacity to move to correct this situation and no new factories have been added during November."

"Do you have any plans to do anything about it before my troops start to run out of supplies?" asked Tanigawa.

"As a matter of fact I do have two avenues open to me but it would require Minister Mamoru's assistance or a change in Government." Ginjiro replied.

"A change in Government?" asked Hirohito.

"Yes your Majesty. Should the Prime Minister take over the Ministry of Security it would increase our available production considerably and that could be used to increase Supply production."

"That would adversely affect our manpower growth would it not?" replied the Emperor.

"Indeed it would your Majesty."

"Manpower is our most critical shortage, so that won't be happening. Does your other plan have any adverse side effects?"

"Nothing in the short or medium term your Majesty and possibly none at all given our recent advances."

"I am sure Minister Mamoru and yourself can handle the situation then. You have my permission to do what you have to as long as construction is not effected."

"Thank you your Majesty. I will talk things through with Minister Mamoru when it becomes necessary. Continuing with my report. Our financial situation improved markedly with Syria providing enough money to finance the espionage activites of Minister Kuniaki for some time to come.

Manpower reserves increased again as land combat continues to drop with replacements all going to ship and aircraft repairs. Production remains unchanged with no spare capacity for upgrades at this time. Our Infantry forces are prioritised once I can free up some Industry. I would also like to delay the production of Carrier Air Groups until the situation is corrected with Supplies."

"When would the Carrier Air Groups need to begin to coincide with our new Carriers arriving?" asked the Emperor.

"Now your Majesty but I would like to delay the production until January."

"Would that cause you any problems Minister Osami?"

"Not really your Majesty as we are not actively engaging enemy fleets nor have we for some time. I would not wish to even contemplate Carrier versus Carrier combat until our Doctrines have been updated more which will take most of next year to achieve." replied Osami.

"Wait until January then Minister Ginjiro."

"As you wish your Majesty. Transport Capacity has increased to very high levels due to more redeployments. Nothing more from me today." concluded Ginjiro.

"Intelligence next please."

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. I have not managed to add to my espionage network even with improved funding but I shall continue to try to do so. Reports on the British are therefore inaccurate as always." Kuniaki began.​

dec1470000intsov.jpg

"Soviet Industrial Capacity dropped by four factory complexes due to our advances and should continue to drop as we move onto Soviet soil. Eventually this capacity will become available to us but only a fraction. They completed three research projects in November. Nuclear Fuel Analysis, Flying Bomb Development and Improved Hospital System. None of these are thought to be of any major concern to us at this time.

The Red Army was once again battered, losing seventeen Infantry and four Armoured divisions during the last month. Losses are decreasing for them as less targets become available to our airforce. Roughly three quarters of their Army is unaccounted for with the only concentration we know of in eastern Siberia along the Amur river. That area is snowed in and there are no plans to advance there until the Spring."

"You are trying to make them come out and fight I hope Minister Tanigawa?" asked Hirohito.

"Yes your Majesty. The Soviet Union is a huge area though and it takes time for our enemy to respond to our advances. We are deliberately aiming to conquer areas that it most definately does not want to lose, in particular its oil production centers. Sooner or later we will run into what is left of the Red Army but in Winter it will take time." Tanigawa replied.

"The price of success I suppose." Hirohito responded. "Please continue Minister Kuniaki."

"Yes your Majesty. No changes of any note to the Soviet Airforce or Navy."​

dec1470000intuk.jpg

"No change to British Industrial output. They completed research into an Improved Carrier Air Wing.

Their Army increased in size by more than ten divisions but given the inaccuracies of my report that could just be a random fluctuation." Kuniaki said unconvincingly.

"You think otherwise I take it?" asked Hirohito.

"I suspect it has to do with our annexation of Syria your Majesty. The extra divisions were not built but lent by British puppets would be my best guess."

"That sounds reasonable. No matter, if they show up they will die. Please continue."

"Yes your Majesty. No notable changes to the Royal Navy or Royal Air Force."

dec1470000intus.jpg

"American Industry has seen no changes. They made several technological advances. Basic Semi-Conductors, Nuclear Battleship Propulsion and Turbojet Carrier Air Wing. The latter of these three makes Minister Osami's job even more difficult.

There are minor fluctuations in the size of their Army and Airforce but nothing worth pointing out. The United States Navy has produced another Aircraft Carrier and several smaller vessels."

"Would you say that some of these Carriers are going to be coming to visit?" asked the Emperor.

"They appear to like to keep thirteen at home your Majesty. I would estimate that ten are based on the east coast and three in the Atlantic if this is the case. We could expect a visit from at least one if this is correct." Osami replied.

"Only one?"

"One is enough your Majesty. In some respects one is worse than three or four as I am more inclined to engage it and these Carriers have the ability to sink one of our ships before we can sink it usually."

"Well there is no certainty that any will appear, although I trust your judgement in this matter. Handle it as you see fit as always. Please continue Minister Kuniaki."​

dec1470000intjap.jpg

"We completed one project in November which was Basic Synthetic Oil Plant. This will improve our Oil conversion if we ever have enough Energy reserves to be able to do it. No projects are expected to complete in December. Nothing further." concluded Kuniaki.

"Armed Forces please."

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning." Tanigawa began. "The Pacific remains under our control for the most part with no unusual activity sighted. The land War with the Soviets and Allies has progressed very well. Manchurian troops are replacing ours along the Amur river and that process is still ongoing. We have made some further changes to our Armies and their areas of control which Minister Satoru will cover. The Red Army has been almost totally destroyed in China, Mengkukuo and Mongolia with our forces advancing along the entire front. Sporadic resistance is being encountered around the Middle East as we advance with our recent capture of Syria causing retatliation from Lebanon. India is stable with neither side moving. Over to Minister Satoru for a more detailed briefing."

"Thank you Minister Tanigawa. Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. I will begin with Asia this month." Satoru began.​

dec1470000asia.jpg

"The large map of Asia shows a massive hole in the Soviet lines with enemy forces only visible in the north east and south west. Of these two enemy forces only the one in the north east is of any size and is showing signs of heading west. Keeping enemy troops in this area greatly assists our advances elsewhere as there is absolutely nothing worth capturing in the east.

Minister Tanigawa mentioned some changes to our Army formations. A new Army has been designated. This is the East Asia Army which is responsible for the areas pointed out in last months meeting to the north of the North China Army. It is an offensive Army and is commanded by Field Marshall Terauchi who has been replaced by his second in command, General Kawabe, in the Kwantung Army. Terauchi will inherit all Japanese forces formerly in the Kwantung Army that are not already in the Central Asia Army.

The Kwantung Army is now a defensive Army and will retain three Japanese divisions as an operational reserve. The bulk of its manpower will come from the two puppet States of Manchukuo and Mengkukuo. Kawabe will be in control of both of their entire Armies. He is responsible for the defence of eastern Siberia, Manchuria, Mengkukuo and China. He will also inherit the Garrison forces currently in China.

We have captured some territory in November most of which has been ceded to Mengkukuo. I have highlighted some provinces. Irkutsk in the north is the primary objective of the East Asia Army with Urumqi being the primary target of the North China Army. Tannu Tuva is the secondary objective of both Armies as it will remove a Soviet puppet."​

dec1470000sib.jpg

"The Manchurian border shows our current defences in greater detail. With the exception of the operational reserve in Qiqihar the only Japanese troops in this area are in Bogorodskoe. They will join the East Asia Army as soon as the redeploying Manchurian forces replace them. This area of the line will consist of three Japanese and twenty four Manchurian divisions with no offensive planned until the Spring."​

dec1470000eastruss.jpg

"Directly west of the previous map shows the advancing East Asia Army. They have already captured Borzya and are advancing on Chita. Three divisions have recently redeployed to Bayan Tumen with more following. Snow covers everything north of Ulan Bator making any progress very slow."​

Last edited:
dec1470000mong.jpg

"Further west we see former Mongolia. Elements of the North China Army are advancing west without any opposition with all of their current targets within Mengkukuo's sphere of influence."​

dec1470000nwch.jpg

"The bulk of the North China Army has launched its offensive with great success and is advancing along its entire front line. Progress here will also be extremely slow as a large part of this territory is snow covered mountains. Higashikuni has all of our Dive bombers to support him, although there are precious few targets left to attack. The enemy Garrision in Golmud is causing some targetting problems."​

dec1470000me.jpg

"Moving on to the Middle East and India. The Central Asia Army has made a lot of gains in the west with the annexation of Syria but it will probably lose most of that territory because of the counter attack by Lebanese forces. We now control all of Persia with the exception of Rasht which is now behind our lines. Central Asia Army's primary objective is Batum and its airbase and they have already captured the secondary objective of Baku, although it is not yet secure. Further objectives are to the north east of Persia where several resource rich provinces are close by."​

dec1470000india.jpg

"Similar to Manchuria the Indian border has settled in to a Winter stalemate. We could advance towards Kashgar but there is an enemy army moving towards it so we shall remain as we are."​

dec1470000centasia.jpg

"We are advancing into Turkmenistan from Persia with the few available troops from the Central Asia Army. A large Infantry redeployment to Mashhad has begun and our offensive here will begin in earnest once they arrive."​

dec1470000kauk.jpg

"The Kaukasus shows our withdraw from Baku with Soviet Armour heading south to retake the oilfields. Our bombers will be tasked with preventing that from happening. The first troops to redeploy to Tabriz have arrived with more due shortly. Once they are suitably rested we will begin the long march north through the mountains."​

dec1470000iraq.jpg

"In the west the conquest of Syria has enflamed the Lebanese who have taken severe umbrage to the loss of their Ally. The Imperial Japanese Airforce will no doubt be used to suitably calm them down when the time comes. Over to Minister Osami for a Naval briefing." concluded Satoru.

"Thank you. Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. Losses have been very minor during November with only one enemy loss to report. The presence of an enemy Submarine Division off the Japanese coast is a concern however." Osami began.​

dec1470000shipdam.jpg

"Repairs to the Imperial Japanese Navy have progressed well and all of our Battleships are now fully repaired and ready for sea. Other repairs are ongoing."

"Are you sending the Battleships to sea?" asked Hirohito.

"Yes your Majesty. They will be patrolling the Arabian Sea. I would make one request though." replied Osami.

"Ask away."

"I would like to promote Admiral Ozawa to Grand Admiral as he has shown great skill after assuming the command of the Pacific after the loss of its former commander."

"Granted." replied the Emperor.

"I will also be relinquishing command of Carrier Group C to Admiral Godo. This will allow me to concentrate more on overall strategy for the Imperial Japanese Navy. Nothing further." Osami concluded.

"It is time for us to face the problems of the Soviets with a Winter march through hostile terrain. I am confident that we can manage the feat much better than they did. I am also pleased that you have allowed the Allies to participate a little in the Middle East as it keeps them out of mischief elsewhere. Minister Tanigawa I would like you to follow me as I have something to discuss with you." stated the Emperor as he left the meeting with his Chief of Staff in tow.​

Last edited:
Great job, your update schedule is punishing. It takes me five times longer to write my updates and they're not even half as good.

Remble said:
I am confident that we can manage the feet much better than they did.

"feet" should be spelled "feat."

A somewhat belated Happy B-Day, Remble :)

Speaking of facts and figures, do you have an estimate how much time is wasted by your readAARs? Or, to rephrase the question, is it a coincidence that the economic crisis started some months after your AAR?

Excellent update.
Its amazing to see how far this AAR has come. A slight belated congratulations on the first year and on your almost 200th page.

This AAR was the first I started reading and has continued to entertain and teach me.

Keep up the good work.

what provinces does mengkukuo have cores on ? cause i've noticed it gets lands well deep into china.
i wonder why it has different cores in the 36 and 44 scenarios anyway

It's not necessarily cores. If you take a province and start your attack from an allied country, the ally gets the province.

At this stage, this is the best way to go, imo.

Japan's TC is too high to comfortably support more captured territories, while the two allies both can use the extra IC to build more and open more research slots; the additional raw materials are useless, as they get shipped to Japan anyhow, as both allies are puppets.

except if that country is a puppet, in wich case it's you who get the control of the province. I find this annoying, there should be a way to give temporary control of taken provinces (not ownership) to your puppets, and even ownership if it's one of their core provinces.

Hmm...
It seems that Eastasia has always been at war with Eurasia and Oceania...this will be interesting. :D

A belated but warm "Happy Birthday" to this AAR and a big "Thank You" to the man who invested more than a month of his lifetime to make this AAR happen.

Thank you very, very much, Remble!

Now for something completely different:

Have you noticed, by chance, that the Soviet Union seems to have issues with morale? Otherwise I can't explain why the Soviet forces in Grozny would choose to fight the North China/East Asia Army rather than going south to fight the closes enemy forces.

nov29470800gr1.jpg

It seems that Stalin's latest motivation-order "Those who refuse to be killed by the Japanese will be shot as traitors" does not have the desired effect.

A belated happy anniversary to your AAR, Remble. :)

dec1470000iraq.jpg

"In the west the conquest of Syria has enflamed the Lebanese who have taken severe umbrage to the loss of their Ally. The Imperial Japanese Airforce will no doubt be used to suitably calm them down when the time comes. Over to Minister Osami for a Naval briefing." concluded Satoru.​

Where did Satoru find "umbrage"? That is not a word I hear people use everyday. Is he trying to sound fancy or something?

Other than that, you are making great progress.

I know its of topic but as it is quite easy to miss... beta patch 1.3 for arma is available!

And given the number of fixed issue especially in the .exe, it seems quit nice!

That is, if you can download it. I can't. :(

Sorry, I have a trivial question.
Isn't "Tukhachevsky" dead already because of the Purge in 1938?
How can the Soviet revive him and make him research land doctrine in the latest post?

That is, if you can download it. I can't. :(
Totally off topic, but: why not? It's uploaded on the forums...

Remble: Excellent monthly update, as usual. I can imagine the Japanese retreating form Damascus, only waiting for their airforce pilots to clear the front!