• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Norse Cape colony... or Australia... The possibilities are endless! This is getting cooler and cooler.
I don't really see how a Norse Cape colony would really turn out any different than the Boers did. But I demand a Norse Australia!

On a more serious note, I look forward to how you write the conquest of India by the Egypto-Norse. You'll have a lot more freedom of action than the British did because of how much closer you are and I am interested if the Norse prove more or less civilized than the real-life overlords of India.

Edla III, the Good, Bosdottir af Munsö
Lived: 1482-1527
Queen of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Africa, Abyssinia, Arabia and Jerusalem: 1502-1527
Archduchess of Verona: 1502-1527
Khatun of Bavaria: 1500-1515
Head of House af Munsö: 1502-1527​

The greatest of Egypt’s line of Queens – Edla III oversaw the firm establishment of Egyptian dominion in the Indian Ocean, whilst at the same time re-involving her Empire in European affairs on a grander scale than any Egyptian monarch since the 13th century. Two years before even rising the Egyptian throne she was Khatun of Bavaria – having married the Khagan Batu IV. During their marriage Batu took up the role as the junior and subservient partner – living mostly in Cairo, allowing the line of inheritance to pass down matrilineal, meaning Edla’s children were considered to be of the House af Munsö and would inherit his Bavarian domains as well as her Empire. Moreover, the Khagan allowed Edla and her Egyptians to dominate politics in Cairo and Munich alike, seemingly unwilling to challenge his wife’s power.

Just a few short years into Edla’s rule in Egypt the first of a great series of European wide wars that would trouble any power looking to gain dominance on the continent broke out. The War of the League of Rome was the result of continent wide fear over the growing power of the Catholics of Northern Europe. Whilst the British had expanded little since the proclamation of the Empire half a century before, the Bohemians had continued to expand rapidly, widely regarded as a British proxy, their growth had allowed to two Catholic powers to emerge as the single strongest bloc on the continent. When the British launched an invasion of Germany in 1504, an anti-British League quickly began to emerge. Initially seeking and gaining the support of the Shia, the Germans were soon also backed by their traditional Byzantine allies who launched an assault on the Bohemians, finally Modena took advantage of Britain’s troubles to invade the British possessions in Northern Italy, dragging Egypt into the conflict. At the end of the year the anti-British belligerents came together in Rome where they agreed to work in unity against Britain’s attempts to establish hegemony over the continent.

With 34,000 men being deployed from Egypt, and a further 22,000 being contributed by Bavaria and Verona Edla’s contribution to the war effort was particularly significant. Early in the war the combined fleets of the Shia, Egyptians and Byzantines were easily able to overpower the British and force them out of the Mediterranean, allowing Egypt to invest wholeheartedly in the war North of the Alps. Although fighting occurred across Italy, France, Germany and Bohemia – the main focus of the war was Germany. Initially the Anglo-Bohemians were able to overwhelm Northern Germany before advancing Southwards. Around the Alps their armies came into contact with the combined forces of the Edla’s legions, the Shia and the remainder of the Germans – facing utter destruction. With the war already turning against them by the end of 1505 the following year saw the Shia and Egyptians directly attack British territories in Lotharingia and France, whilst their captured fortress in Northern Germany were slowly retaken.

For most of Europe the war came to a close in 1507 as the Shia, Egyptians and their allies agreed to peace. Modena gained the city of Milan whilst the British were forced to withdraw from Karelia in Finland – but most importantly Bohemian power was railed in by the creation of the Kingdom of Silesia out of former Bohemian territory. The Byzantines had refused to entertain the possibility of peace when more could be won and continued the war for a further exhausting two years before making peace in exchange for minor territorial gains. Egypt’s prestige had grown immensely from involvement in the war, and that prestige was only about to grow.

In the aftermath of the War of the League of Rome Edla embarked on a largescale programme of military modernisation and expansion involving the complete overhaul of the Mediterranean Fleet, the introduction of cannon on a massive scale into the Egyptian army and the general upgrading of existing equipment.

The 1510s and 20s saw Egypt’s Indian Ocean Empire bloom. Starting with the colonisation of the smaller islands of Mahe and Klas Nils (named after the famous explorer), Egypt invaded and conquered Ceylon in 1512 – bringing her power right up to the shore of India. Taking a step further in 1519 Madurai, the single largest and wealthiest city in Southern India and the primary conduit through which the regions trade flowed was captured. By the end of Edla’s reign Egypt had established a foothold on Northern Madagascar, had taken control over the rich islands to the East of Madagascar and even ruled in the Andamans in the Bay of Bengal. Egypt’s burgeoning overseas Empire was growing rapidly, but her monopoly as a colonial power would soon be broken.

The undisputed greatest figure of the age of exploration was no Egyptian, nor even a Christian, but Hisham al-Nasser. Born in the Shia ruled French city of Bordeaux to the son of a local merchant, Hisham was fascinated by the stories of Klas Nils’ expeditions and ashamed that an Egyptian had been the first to circumnavigate Africa and not a Muslim. Indeed, the contact between the Shia Caliphate and the Muslim populations East of Europe was very shaky indeed, and relied on the goodwill of at least one of the three great Christian Empires, not to mention the fact that the Christians – especially Egypt – held a total stranglehold on East-West trade. Many Shia resented the fact that their great riches, largely mined from Sub-Saharan Africa, ended up in the hands of Christian merchants, mediating trade with their fellow Muslims in the East. Al-Nasser dreamed of restoring the Shia Caliphate as the most powerful nation on earth through a great feat of exploration – hoping to discover an alternate route to the Far East that would allow the Shia to bypass the Christians entirely.

Rather than discover an alternate route to the East, al-Nasser stumbled across a New World entirely. In his first expedition he explored the Caribbean in 1515, finding the land to be rich and free for conquest; later expeditions mapped the coastline of what would come to be known as Brazil. By Edla’s death the Shia had already begun to establish colonies in the Lesser Antilles and Brazil – the full impact of the Shia’s discovery took some decades to sink in for the Christian powers, who believed that the Shia grossly exaggerated their new discoveries. Only when the wealth began to pour back to the ports of Andalucia, France and North Africa later in the century would the Christians sit up and take notice. When Hisham al-Nasser died in 1539 he had established himself as a national hero to the Shia.

At Edla’s death in 1527, at the age of 45, Egypt had been joined in the race for worldwide supremacy by the Shia, by the middle of the century the British, as well as the once mighty Umayyad family would also emerge as colonial powers – beginning a new era of Western dominion over the entire globe. On a less grand scale, Edla’s successor – her eldest daughter by Batu Khan, Sofia – was set to be a far less successful Queen than herself. The Mongol influenced Queen was to make many enemies at court, and even threaten the very existence of the House af Munsö as the royal line.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Question is, how do you keep your rulers white-tanned? ;)

Also, no Nile-Red Sea canal reopened yet?

Because royalty cannot into working fields. Only dirty peasants can into workfields, and get sun-tanned. :p

This :p. Really the rulers should be more tanned, living in Egypt for so many generations would obviously have this effect. But the obvious problem is that I can't get pictures of people wearing a European style dress with the exact right skin tone (Italian and Spanish rulers are drawn pale like this as well).

I'm really glad to see this continue!

Out of curiosity, did you get basing rights from some African country, or did Klas Nils just damn the attrition and make his navigation in one non-stop trip?

I decided to send him all the way round in a big expedition - although everything up to just before the Cape had been discovered when the expedition began. He just made it back.

Exciting, how Egypt's position allows it to basically get a grasp on the situation in three out of the continents. As a future Colonial Power and competitor, you are placed brilliantly! You'll be able to dabble in European politics while snatching Asia and Africa. Damn the Americas, India's where it's at.

Indeed, hell, European of RL would have happily trade access to the Americas for the position I possess.

A Norse Cape colony... or Australia... The possibilities are endless! This is getting cooler and cooler.

They are indeed, the ideas of what these colonies would look like are quite fun to think about.

Just saying that all the screenshots in the first aar stopped working, pity since I was in the middle of it.

You're right!:eek:

Yeah, noticed that just before you posted here :/. Exceeded my bandwidth so they will come back next month. The pics at the end of that AAR and everthing in this one (bar the title page) work fine though as they are on a different account,

Just caught up, excellent job in EUIV so far. I'm definitely looking forward to the Egyptian colonial explorations.

You arrived just in time for the beginnings of Egypto-Norse colonialism.

I don't really see how a Norse Cape colony would really turn out any different than the Boers did. But I demand a Norse Australia!

On a more serious note, I look forward to how you write the conquest of India by the Egypto-Norse. You'll have a lot more freedom of action than the British did because of how much closer you are and I am interested if the Norse prove more or less civilized than the real-life overlords of India.

I might accept your demands :p. I'm not planning the total conquest of India, or atleast not just yet. The frustrating thing is that having vassals is actually really costly in EUIV, especially for me as I'm in constant need of every diplo point to keep up in research (I fall behind a bit in that field as all my monarchs seem to have terrible dip stats). Without vassals conquering India is not easy at all in both overextension and garrison costs (there would be ALOT of rebels).

Threatening af Munsö? Off with her head!:p

This Hisham sounds like a person I'd love to read a historical biography about.:) <-- History nerd

The Shia and the Omeya? I tought they were the same!

Pff, the Norse had already discovered Vinland centuries earlier. I've had enough of your Shia propaganda Tommy.

That is the perfect explanation, really. You can just pretend that the real-life rulers were more tanned but that they were painted as white.

Lots of Egyptians are not much tanned than the Germans. :p

Sofia II Batusdottir af Munsö
Lived: 1506-1532
Khatun of Bavaria: 1515-1532
Queen of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Africa, Abyssinia, Arabia and Jerusalem: 1527-1532
Archduchess of Verona: 1527-1532
Head of House af Munsö: 1527-1532​

Sofia’s most lasting legacy was the effective enslavement of her adopted homeland that she attempted to bring to prominence – Bavaria to Egyptian mastery and the rapid decline of its vibrant and quite unique Germano-Mongol culture in favour of Egypto-Norse styles. In Egypt, the land of her birth, Sofia II left little lasting impact – in spite of her greatly destabilising effect on the realm’s politics.

Sofia II was born the daughter of the Khagan of Bavaria, and Queen of Egypt. Despite her mother’s later siring of a male heir by her second husband – Inge Johansson being a mere baby at the time of Edla III’s death – Sofia stood to inherit both her parents’ realms. In 1515 she had come to the throne of the Bavarian Khanate with the death of her father, eventually leaving court in Cairo in 1520 at the tender age of 14. In the intervening years she immersed herself in her new court in Munich and grew firmly attached to the individuals that made up her inner circle and the Germano-Mongols as a whole. When her mother passed away in 1527 she triumphantly returned to Egypt to assume her royal title.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, upon her assumption of power Sofia, whose reign had been a great success in Bavaria, sought leave her imprint upon Egypt. Genuinely believing many Bavarian styles of governance and culture to be more vibrant and superior to supposedly stagnant Egyptian ones she attempted to reform the military (looking for a more cavalry based focus for the army, as well as further reducing the reliance upon feudal levies), alter traditional feudal customs and reform the burgeoning bureaucracy whilst at the same time introducing Germano-Mongol culture to the Egyptian mainstream. All these things, if done effectively, could have had a positive impact on Egypt, even if they were bound to create some resentment.

However, it was Sofia’s insistence on importing the personnel she had familiarised herself with in Bavaria that ultimately caused her downfall. From the military through her close council, the civil administration and even amongst the clergy Sofia brought the Bavarians to Egypt in their hundreds. Even going so far as to attempt to pressure the Coptic Church into appointing the former Archbishop of Nuremberg to the Coptic Papacy and Alexandrine Patriarchate, Sofia simply went too far. Her singular failure to realise the impact of her actions allowed an anti-Bavarian faction to quickly assemble at court.

Perhaps Sofia’s greatest asset was the division within the opposition. The primary problem being the lack of a credible af Munsö heir – the only realistic claimant to the throne being the infant son of Edla III, Inge. For some a regency council would always be an attractive opportunity to seize political power, whilst for others the idea of an Egypt without the House af Munsö was simply unimaginable. Yet there was a substantial faction among the Church and nobility that hoped to shed Egypt of the decrepit old House once and for all – looking to the heroic figure of Eirikr af Negev. Although technically a distant relative of the af Munsö dynasty, Eirikr and his close relative ruled over large stretches of the Levant and Mesopotamia – whilst he had led Egypt’s armies in Europe during the War of the League of Rome. With an abundance of male heirs, a wondrous reputation as a brave military hero and forward thinking leader he seemed the ideal man to rid Egypt of both the unpopular Sofia and the House af Munsö in a single stroke.

The tensions between the various factions eventually erupted in the War of the Three Claimants in 1530 as Eirikr af Negev rose up the North-Eastern section of the Empire, drawing the backing of most of the Levant and Mesopotamia in his proclamation that Sofia II was an unwanted tyrant, who must be overthrown. In response to this Inge was whisked away by his supporters – who coalesced in Abyssinia and the Yemen, forming an army of their own as they crowned the young boy King. With most of the rest of the Empire playing a waiting came to see who would take the advantage before committing Sofia still held a fighting chance of retaining her position if she could secure military victory with her army of Bavarians.

Seeing Eirikr as the primary threat Sofia’s army struck out into the Levant – meeting Eirikr’s army near Ascalon and badly defeating him. Through the rest of 1530 Sofia’s forces forced Eirikr out of Palestine and Syria – back towards Mesopotamia. However, during that time Inge’s supporters had advanced up the Nile into Egypt, rather than fight for their Queen the troops Sofia had left in Egypt to protect her rear defected to Inge, and were soon joined by the Egyptian nobility. Forced to flee her capital, Sofia had to abandon the pursuit of total victory over Eirikr to attempt to reassert her authority over Egypt with an assault on the Delta. A stinging defeat at Damietta forced the Queen into flight once more, this time she turned to Tunis from where she hoped to recruit an army of Italian and Muslim mercenaries with which to reassert her claim. Meanwhile, Inge’s supporters built on their success by marching into the Levant where they met the diminished forces of Eirikr, crushing his army and imprisoning the would be usurper. The final act of the War saw Inge’s forces sail from Egypt to Tunis to meet Sofia, the Queen had been unable to recruit sufficient forces to avoid her defeat and was captured, deposed and executed.

With that Sofia II’s reign was over, and Inge now ruled undisputed across the Egyptian Empire. Indeed, even Bavaria accepted its new Khagan – its influence over Egypt effectively ended and Bavarian personnel in Cairo replaced with Egypto-Norse in Munich. For the first time in eight decades, Egypt had a King again.

Reactions:
Well, you could move towards Oriental style. You know, Orientalism 4 centuries too early? :p

:p, I wanted to keep their dress more European. I see Egypt as always being more Western with its elites and Eastern with its society.

Threatening af Munsö? Off with her head!:p

This Hisham sounds like a person I'd love to read a historical biography about.:) <-- History nerd

You got your wish :p. And that Hisham figure surely would have interesting - the Shia were probably a more interesting option with this AAR's start than the Egypto-Norse :p.

The Shia and the Omeya? I tought they were the same!

In the CK2 part of the AAR the dynasty of the Andalucian Caliphate changed all the time - the Umayyads had it maybe half the time but lost it before the EU conversion. Since the Shia had very low CA (all those dynasties being overthrown kept it down) several of its big CK vassals got represented as vassals in EUIV - Umayyads being one of them. They own Galicia and a large amount of land in Sub Saharan Africa (including gold producing lands!). Whilst they lose Galicia eventually, and all other Shia vassals eventually get absorbed - they flourish after reaching the Mali coast and entering the colonial race. An interesting story :p, in game the Shia Caliphate is called the Meguelids (or something close to that :p).

Pff, the Norse had already discovered Vinland centuries earlier. I've had enough of your Shia propaganda Tommy.

By now it had been forgotten, although funnily enough the first places the Anglo-Norse colonise - Greenland and Newfoundland. Maybe returning to some old haunts.

BTW, how did the Shias get to the Americas first? Are they western tech?

You don't need to be Western tech group - just to have explorers and conquistadors. Guess they went for exploration National Ideas early like I did and it paid off for them, big time.

That is the perfect explanation, really. You can just pretend that the real-life rulers were more tanned but that they were painted as white.

I think you are right. We could say that the elites see paler skin as a sign of nobility (like they do in East Asia etc), for one showing you don't work in the sun and secondly showing you've got more 'Norse' than 'Egypto' in you.

Lots of Egyptians are not much tanned than the Germans. :p

This is also very true. Levantines, North Africans and Egyptians are pretty indistinguishable from Southern Europeans. So to summarize, I'll keep using pics of European nobles to represent the Egypto-Norse elites :p.

Thinking about it, though, the Caliphate might well be Western Tech anyway- there's a couple of factors that determines conversion tech group among non-Christians. Muslims start in the Muslim group (of course), but there's a few counties that boost the tech group of the holder by one, and having a certain level of average technology across all holdings also boosts tech group up a level.

I forget which holdings are key, but if one's in Spain, it's entirely possible that the Shia might be Western. Still, which tech group are they actually?

Loving the AAR so far. Been lurking since the start of the CK2 one, and just gotten around to stopping lurking now.
Would it be possible to upload the initial conversion save/mod somewhere? I'd love to try this alt-history out. :D

Found the explanation of converted tech groups- and of which province holdings boost tech group. Both are on this page.

Santiago is one of the key holdings, so I think they have at least the Ottoman tech group. Maybe the Western if they were lucky in the CKII part?

Inge Karlsson af Munsö
Lived: 1526-1554
King of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Africa, Arabia and Jerusalem: (Claimed) 1530-1532, (De Facto) 1532-1554
Khagan of Bavaria: 1532-1554
Archduke of Verona: 1532-1544
Prince of Urbino: 1543-1554
Head of House af Munsö: 1532-1554

King Inge came to power in Egypt as a young child, as his Kingdoms were rocked by momentous warfare and political changes in Italy. Although Egyptian power increased immensely during his reign, largely at the expense of the Byzantines, Inge played little role in government. Even after reaching his majority he appeared disinterested in the affairs of state – preferring to delegate power to a close circle of retainers.

One of the most significant trends of the 16th century was the complete collapse of the authority of the successor states of the Mongol Empire in Ruthenia. From the beginning of the century a social movement combining a religious revolution that supported the once virtually dead formal Slavic Church alongside Russian Anti-Tartar, Anti-Roman nationalism had already carved out a large Ruthenian realm by the ascension of Inge in Egypt. Regarding the Ruthenians as an ideal counterweight to Roman expansionism into Russia, as well as the Bohemians Egypt was to become a loyal friend of Ruthenia from the outset. It was in the midst of the growth of this Ruthenian Kingdom into a regional power to which all those of the Slavic faith and tongue could look that the war that was to end Byzantium’s hopes of establishing itself as Europe’s dominant power broke out.

In the build-up to war Egypt had invaded and conquered the Balearic Islands in 1532. The Islands were an Egypto-Norse speaking Emirate that had spent centuries within the Egypto-Norse realm before converting to Shia Islam and looking towards the Caliphate. Their allegiance to Cordoba did not last, but they remained clearly within the Shia’s sphere of influence. As the relationship between the Shia and Egyptians became tense in the aftermath of the conquest the Byzantines hoped they would have a free hand in Russia to face down the Ruthenians. Constantinople’s gamble proved desperately miscalculated as a large coalition quickly formed to oppose their conquest. Ruthenia was soon joined by Hungary, Egypt, Bavaria, Germany and the Italian states whilst the following year the Bohemians would invade – bringing Britain and her fleet into the war. The Roman War of 1533-38 had begun.

In spite of the Byzantines’ ability to field the single largest army on earth they never had a realistic hope of fighting a war on so many fronts. Although their navy performed admirably against a chaotic Egyptian fleet, the arrival of the British meant that any room to manoeuvre in the Mediterranean was totally shut down. On land however, they faced nothing but defeats. In Anatolia they were outnumbered 2-1 and totally overrun, Egyptian troops actually capturing the Queen of Cities in 1536. In Italy, Germany Bavaria they simply could not muster enough men to hold the front, suffer severe losses whilst their attempts to hold the Bohemians in Silesia failed miserably, whilst in Russia the Ruthenian standing armies were supported by local rebellions making a defence untenable. By attempting to hold everywhere, the Byzantines had ensured their defeat on every front.

By 1438 the situation that the Byzantines found themselves in was truly desperate. With a large part of their Empire under foreign occupation, their authority in Russia collapsing wholesale, a large Turkic Muslim rebellion in Azerbaijan and resentment of the regime (now based out of a temporary court in Sofia) reaching boiling point. Although the British and Bohemians had already made peace in exchange for parts of Silesia, a treaty with the Egyptians and their allies had to be signed, and quick.

The Treaty forced upon the Byzantines was harsh and saw large parts of Italy fall out of their control with Urbino and Egypt taking significant stretches of territory. The Ruthenians would continue to fight on until 1540 when Kiev was surrendered to them alongside most of Byzantine Russia. As a parting shot against their victorious foes in Italy the Byzantines lent substantial support to a rebellion against the new rulers in Southern Italy that raged on until 1540 when the huge rebel army was finally defeated by Egyptian forces.

In the aftermath of the Roman War Egypt’s rulers looked to consolidate the Empire’s dominion over Italy. In 1539 claimed that Inge (by then still just 13) was the rightful heir to the recently expanded Principality of Urbino, these aggressive claims against a traditional ally saw Egypt’s old system of alliances with Modena and Urbino, which had last around a century, fall apart. As war broke out with Urbino following the death of their Prince in 1542 Modena came to the brink of going to war against their old ally. Instead Inge was made Prince of Urbino and the realm rapidly expanded with Egypt’s holdings in Italy handed over. The following year the relationship between Egypt and the Archduchy of Verona was significantly altered – Ferrara and Mantua passing over to Urbino, Trent to the small Duchy of Verona whilst Archducal Verona was reconstituted in its traditional Polish territories as an Egyptian vassal.

Overseas the colonisation of Madagascar was completed whilst a new colony on mainland Africa, to the South of the Swahili Coast was established. Egyptian colonisation in this territory would lead to enhanced tensions between the Swahili and Egypt – once again resulting in war from 1552-53. The latest conflict between the two powers saw Egypt force the Swahili to create an Egyptian quarter in the trading centre of Zanzibar – facilitating a permanent and significant Egyptian presence there.

By the time Inge finally began to participate in the governing of his Empire it was 1546 and the major upheavals of his reign had been completed. In the eight years after the official disbanding of his regency council, which never truly have up its grip on power, little was accomplished. When Inge died following the shipwrecking of the vessel that was transporting him from Alexandria to Naples in 1554 he had accomplished very little personally, but he had kept the af Munsö bloodline alive with the conception of a male heir, Karl.