• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good luck against the USA. You will need it. :cool:

The Liberation of Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee
June 6, 1939

"Company, present ARMS!"

The company snapped to follow their Captain's order. The gathered dignitaries watched; not a few of them were looking at the Confederate flag with tears in their eyes, and many of them bore the signs of three years incarceration by Kuhn's fascists.

"Company, atten-SHUN!"

Again, the company followed the company. Slightly sluggish, which was to be expected. They'd only taken this town yesterday, and they were field troops, unused to such work. General Strong, the opposing Union commander, looked slightly askance at the somewhat sloppy display, but what did he know. Patton smirked; his brigade might not be the most polished in the Confederacy, but they were the best fighters. Strong's men had highly polished rifles that they barely knew how to use. He stood to attention.

"Senator Cooper, as the senior representative of the State Government of Tennessee, I am empowered by President Long to formally request that your glorious state switch its allegiance to the Confederate States of America."

The man - prematurely grey -shuffled forward.

cooper.jpg
Tennessee Governor Cooper, 1939-1943.​

"You don't need to ask twice, General. I just wish you could have been here three years ago."

"As do I, Senator, as do I. Welcome to the Confederate States of America."

The band played Dixie, as the United States flag was lowered - the only one left in the county - and the Confederate flag was raised. This time even George felt a small tear in his eye.

(At the start of this thread, the Liberation of Tennessee was requested; it is now a reality!! As for Patton, I couldn't code him to appear in the game, but I can certainly use him as a brigade and divisional commander.)

General Graves' Gamble

Managua, Nicaragua
June 7, 1939

Around the outside of the city, the Army of the Isthmus was still finishing the job they'd come to go. The guerillas had moved up into the hills; although Nicaragua itself had surrendered, the war still went on. But hte Marines' job was over, and here they were. Three divisions of Marines, all on parade, all wearing the now-traditional bearskin cap.

3510g1.gif
Marines on parade; taken by Die Welt reporter, June 7, 1939​

General Graves and General Roosevelt walked up to the podium, and their men began to cheer, and cheer. A sound so loud it could probably be heard in Richmond. After a few minutes, General Graves' gestures started to quieten them down.

"Men! After a week's hard fighting, we have restored a democratic government to this land. An achievement we should be proud of, and a fine first battle star for our units. But, at home, our beloved nation is at war with the Fascists from Washington."

"In the event of such a war, our orders are to hole up. To not risk the Gulf crossing, and to remain here to await the end of the war."

A murmur echoed through the crowd.

"But I'm not going to do that."

More cheers.

"There is something we can - no, must - do. Right here in Central America. Teddy?"

Teddy2.jpg
Brigadier General Roosevelt, architect of the Panama Campaign.​
General Roosevelt stepped forward.

"Brother Marines, to the South here is an engineering feat pioneered by my father. A canal connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans - and a vital throughfare for Yankee traffic. And their Pacific fleet and garrisons, steaming towards us with every day. It is heavily garrisoned, and you're all tired from your victory."

"But, gentlemen, I say we take the Panama Canal! What do you say!"

The soldiers cheered - a cheer that went on, and on, and on.....

Last edited:
Love the strategy. Hope you can pull it off against the garrison there. Have the Yanks established a naval squadron defending the area? That could put a damper on your plans.

I'm happy to see Ted Roosevelt fighting for the side of right, but I'm curious as to your rationale as he was a thorough Yank by birth and education. My assumption would be that the family carpet-bagged southward to avoid fascism?

Vann

It wasn't part of my original plan; I'd intended to use the Marines to spearhead my assault into Louisiana. But they were out of position when the war began, and I wanted to do something with. Given that the Confederate's Chief of Staff was present, I figured something extraordinary was in order...

General Roosevelt did indeed move South to avoid the Fascists; and it's totally in character for him to have joined the Confederate army. I intend to use him to explore a slightly deeper question later in the AAR - just what is the Confederacy about? Anti-fascism, states rights?

Richard

I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your AAR. The concept is good, the history well-thought out and the writing is truly fine.

Interesting that the US jumped the gun on the Confederacy. Kuhn must have had inside knowledge of that July 4th plan.

And Patton loose in Tennessee... oh, my! :D Give 'em hell, George!