• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The collapse of the Saxon world quickens pace.

Enewald - I believe the centuries of war between Danes and Saxons also caused a lot of intermarriage. And besides, I'm sure that Englands old enemies can always use a new excuse to invade, regardless of who's king

Snugglie
- Ofcourse, he's a conquered. You make an omelette without breaking a few earls :p

stnylan
- Sadly, yes. But the longer they hold out, the better their chances of finding allies and having a dead king...

Concerning the burning and pillaging; in our timeline about 100.000 people would die in the north in the decade after Hastings, either through violence of the famine that resulted. This was about a quarter of the population of the north... It would not be until the industrial revolution that the north of England regained some of it's economic importance. Some even say that it has not overcome the Harrowing of the North even these days!

1249320859_6cbacd97c1.jpg
Aeldgyth's house in Roskilde

<When Aldgyth left the Saxon lands in search for a transport to Denmark, the correspondence seized for obvious reasons. Her arrival at Roskilde is soon followed by a letter from no other than Edgar Ætheling>

Lunden. December 4, 1068

Onto lady Aldgyth of Mercia, widow to King Harold

Your fight from Mercia has not gone unnoticed, although I still believe that King William does not yet know of your children. As you know, I returned to William’s court in Lunden, as he has once again offered me patronage and land. I would be a fool not to accept such an offer, although I shall remain true to our fallen king and his kin.
William managed to take the whole lot of Northumbria and murdered thousands of women, children and cattle. His wrath can be terrible for sure! I saw it with my own eyes in Scrobbesburgh and later at Dunholm. Surely this must have stopped any rebels who dare to oppose him! I can only hope that your brother Edwin and his son do not commit anything foolish, as they are the only remaining Saxons earls left in England. Except Waltheof ofcourse, the Earl of Oxenafordashire, left in place after he denounced King Harold like his uncle Wigod of Wallinforda.

Always your loyal servant,

Edgar Ætheling

---

Roskilde, Danemark. December 24, 1068

Edgar, you filthy serpent of a traitor, I hope the lord will strike you down during the next lightning storm! You are a spineless coward who only cares about his own comfort instead of honour and valour! Don’t give me that ‘loyal servant’ non-sense either. You were worthless to me in Legacaestir as you were in the battlefield at Scrobbesburgh, and to me, you are one of the reasons these peasants were allowed to be slain! Your conquest of Stigard was only a personal matter, I know that as much as you. You are just a big a traitor as that maggot. If your heritage and honour still means anything to your little heart, then murder your master, muster an army, and take your bloody birthright!

Aldgyth

---

Lunden. January 19, 1069

Onto my dearest Aldgyth,

It proves to me how little you know about politics, and how badly you see the complication of the situation. Once again it shows that women must stay away from politics with their naïve views. I have not betrayed my king, my family or my people. It is they who were betrayed by fate. Old ways were old, and they were not the right. We have fallen weak, we could be conquered by a foreign force. In fact, we have been conquered by Norsemen several times before. If we are so easily defeated, tell me my queen, what makes you think we are the right ones to rule England?

Edgar Ætheling

I can't help but agree with Edgar Ætheling, he actually seems relatively composed and to his senses. Blind fighting and disobedience might be a virtue in tale, but hardly in reality.

Edgar seems to be a collaborationist at heart. Of couse if people are going to turn traitor the invader will win. They might win anyway, but a fractured nation almost always falls.

Snuggie - Well, he's quite young still. Seventeen at the time of the letter. So he's either matured young, or still suffering from his puberty. :p I considered the Saxons to be a kind of reckless people who would not surrender without a fight.

Enewald - Most of the time, the conquered empires die with the conquerers, so I kinda hope England will fall apart with William's death. But yeah, he will first have to die then :p

stnylan - Ealdgyth knows this, that's why she has gone so far and wide to keep the Saxon lords together, and when it failed, keep them on the same goal.

edgar.jpg
Edgar the Ætheling​

Roskilde, Danemark. February 24, 1069

Onto Edgar the Ætheling

Your words seem to be too dirty for my time or even for the parchment, boy. But yet I will write you back. I will urge you again, leave William’s court. What allies do we have left? How many of our earls and aeldormen have survived William’s rage? Seek them out. Unite them! The strength of the Normans is their ambition. Eventually they will fight each other, and William’s kingdom will crumble like stale bread. And you know as well as I do, you won’t make a chance between those Normans, especially not when they start fighting again. Please, I beg you, Edgar. Leave Lunden. Go to Mercia or perhaps even Oxenaforda. You are our last hope.

Aldgyth

---

Lunden, March 16, 1069

Onto Aldgyth,

My lady, you are right. I have seen it when I walked around William’s palace. Greed seems to be the only thing these Normans live for, from their king to their lowest squire. There are few allies, though. First of all there are your brother and his son Estmond in Mercia of course. Your other brother, Morcar, has fled north and has been granted a sanctuary by the Norseman Paul Thorfinnson of the earldom of the Orkneys, I have heard. But that is too far away. There are the Welsh of course (it seems the Welsh will always be there to raid England, no matter who rules it) and the kingdom of Scots ( about who can be said the same), as well as a few lowly lords like Waltheof of Oxenaforda and the Norse lords in Northumbria and Anglia. I might travel north to Mercia first, and see if I can talk some sense in Edwin and Estmond.

Edgar Ætheling

---

Roskilde, Danemark. April 3, 1069

Dear Edgar,

I am glad you have come to your senses. Men your age are often tempted by wealth and power, but it is good to see a higher goal in your life. The Witanagemot has chosen you to be my late husband’s heir, not my then unborn sons. Therefore, William is sitting on your place. You must not forget that! Don’t get me wrong, I love my children dearly (every one of them), but they are not suited to rule anything outside their cradle. The throne of England belongs to a Saxon, not a Norman or a Norseman. It is us who shaped the kingdom, it is our people who live in it and speak our tongue. Please, Edgar. I know this is hard for a boy your age, and I know you have been through a lot the past two and a half years. But we depend on you.

Aldgyth

---

Loncaestir, northern Mercia. May 19, 1069

My dear queen Aldgyth

I once again apologize. It has been fooling of me to choose William’s side. Two and a half years ago I was young, and I had no choice at Birkimsted. But now I am an adult, and more than two and a half years wiser. I have travelled all the way north, so I hope this letter will still reach you through the usual ways. The Isle of Mann seems to be so close now. Through my journey, I have seen with my own eyes the ravage William the Bastard left throughout the countryside. This town, Loncaestir, on the border between Mercia and Cumbria, is one of the few spared in the area. It is ruled by a Norman baron whose name currently escapes me. It is also said that William granted his barons liberties in Dunholm and down south in Scrobbesburgh. In a local tavern I even heard that the baron Humphrey de Bohun, who rules Dunholm now, will be made a new Earl of Northumbria! I do not know much about this man, but he is said to have a hand in the destruction of large parts of Northumbria. I fear for my people. My destination right now is the earldom of Cumbria, which is ruled by a Saxon named Gospatrick, but who is loyal to the King of Scots. He might be able to introduce me to his lord. If we can get the Scots on our side, we gain a powerful ally on William’s northern border. My dear lady, the past month I have seen enough death and destruction for a lifetime. I carve revenge. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Edgar Ætheling, rightful King of England

---

uk2.gif

The British Isles around 1070

Robin Hood shouldn't be around for about a century. But... there is Hereward the Wakearound in Lincolnshire(I plan for him to show up eventually) who is basically the same thing. In fact, Robin Hood is partly based off him! ;)

Oh, and there are peasant revolts, just not very large ones, so they were easily destroyed. In the years coming a few of William's own barons will even revolting.

With Edgar Aetheling in Scotland and Harold the Younger on Isle of Man, this might have William find himself surrounded eventually. And yes, to quote the Kaizer Chiefs: I predict a riot. :D

mistymorning.jpg

---------------
“I speak of princes, who from the greatness of their power might have full liberty to indulge in pleasure. Some of these in their own country, and others at Rome, changing their habit, obtained a heavenly kingdom and a saintly intercourse. Many others during their whole lives devoted themselves in outward appearance to worldly affairs, but in order that they might exhaust their treasures on the poor or divide them amongst monasteries.”
- William of Malmesbury about the Saxon nobility
Gesta regum anglorum, 1120

----------------

Harold’s first sparring lesson
The meadows outside Saint Mary’s Abbey. March 2, 1072

Hunwald Stigardson marched forwards, carrying a collection of wooden poles and sticks over his shoulder. He was closely followed by Saewald of Leyburn, the current master-of-arms and Eiric, Saewald’s right hand. Harold and Eanbert were six paces behind them, trying to keep up with the large men. The last bits for morning fog were retreating into the woods and the shore ahead. It was a cold morning. Too cold for bare legs. But Harold remember Hunwald saying that it would make him a man. And Hunwald was always right. He has made this very clear ever since Harold could remember, and a 5-year old boy would never dare to disagree with a man the size and looks of Hunwald. So he bravely followed, and motioned his younger friend Eanbert to run and catch up.

---

Hunwald stopped in the middle of the field. He dropped his cargo in the wet grass, and then picked up one of the sticks. He handed it to Harold, who took it curiously.

“This is your sword for today,” Hunwald said. “It’s just a stick,” Harold said, as he held the two-foot long stuck in both hands. “Yes, but we are going to pretend it is your sword today. I don’t want you to accidentally poke out eyes on your first day. I promise you’ll get a more sword-like sword later, okay?”

Harold nodded. He held the stick on the end with both hands, like he thought one should hold a real sword. Eanbert looked at him with awe. He just came along for company, but he had hoped he would get to swing at things too.

“Okay, first we have to make sure you hold it right”, Hunwald said as he kneeled before Harold. He held the front of the stick with one hand to keep it straight. “There are large swords and small swords. This one is quite large for your, so you’ll need to hold it with both hands. Very good!”

Harold’s grip was already quite well. Hunwald pulled the hands closer to each other with his free hand. Then he tugged at the stick from the other end.

“Hold tight, don’t loose your sword!” He softly tried to jerk it from Harold’s hands. The two boys laughed at the game. Hunwald jerked sideways and up and down, still carefully, but Harold held tight, laughing loud as his stick followed his mentor’s movements. It was all a game, of course. In the future Harold would have to learn how much force could come on a real sword. But he did quite well for a first time.

“Okay,” Hunwald said with a smile, as he stood up. “Let’s see if you can hit things.”

---

Hunwald picked up one of the long poles, and put it up straight. “Hold it tightly,” he said to Eiric. The young man kept the pole up, while he kept an eye on Harold and Hunwald.

Saewald had been looking with only a slight interest. He had complete confidence that Hunwald would not behead or in another way hurt Harold. He had been like a son to the huskarl. And Saewald had other, more pressing matters to attend.

Hunwald took one of the longer sticks and held it like a sword. Without warning, he stuck the pole. Eiric firmly held it, but the wood cracked fiercely. Hunwald’s sword hit it again, softer and with more finesse now. In one smooth movement he pulled the sword back towards him and then struck the pole on the other side. “See?”

Harold nodded, although his expression showed confusion.

“As you strike something, you must always remember that you might have to strike it again soon. So your sword should end in a place in the air where you can strike at your target again.” “I think this is too complicated for those small ones, Hunwald,” Saewald said. Hunwald grunted. “Maybe so, but it is a lesson he must learn soon and well.”

Saewald shrugged. ‘Suit yourself.’

“Okay, Harold. Hit the pole! Come on!” Harold laughed and ran to the pole, swinging his little stick dangerously like he had seen Hunwald do. Twack, twack! The men laughed.

---

“I’m very tired now,” Harold said softly as Hunwald carried him on his back. Hunwald laughed. “That’s a good sign. You went at it like a little Norseman.” “What’s a Norseman?” “Norsemen are very violent fighters. But also very brave and strong. Kind friends, but not quite kind enemies.” Harold laughed. “I want to be a brave Norseman!”

Hunwald grinned as they strode through the meadow.

They were followed by Saewald and Eiric, who was carrying Eanbert. “Don’t you want to be a Saxon then? Saxons are brave and strong as well, just more civilised.” “Civilised,” Eiric said, mockingly, “remind me which people still rule its own kingdom.” Hunwald and Saewald laughed. Harold looked at them curiously.

“That is a problem I wish to solve,” Hunwald said, and he smiled as Harold ran his hands through Hunwalds hair.

haroldeducation.jpg

<<Because this chapter will skip a lot of events that will not be of immediate importance, but will affect the story and the game, I'll use this space to report anything worst knowing.
On the 7th of January 1070, Murdaich of Dublin insulted me in front of king Enna, and I gained a claim on Dublin. On the 27th of January 1071 Edwin of Mercia declared war on William. He was defeated in May, and he fled to his son's court at Derby. During this time William also became the papal controller... William's daughter Gundred became the new earl (is there a faminine for for that?) of Mercia/Lancaster. On August 27, 1071, Eanbert's mother Sophia died while in childbirth...>>

I do not trust Edgar. The man shows abominable character.

As for the young guy, well, first sword-lesson is important. And the omens, thus far, are good.

Let's hope that one day this small boy shall kill the norman bastard :p

He should hopefully have hight statts.

Or just edit them, hehe. :rolleyes:

Albert the Great coming?

stnylan - Getting a good sword-hand on young age is important for all the Normanchopping ofcourse :D

Enewald - Harold and Ulf's stats are still so-so. As they start being born, they won't really grow. But I can promise at least one little Saxon to get really good stats ;)

And I apologize for my short absence. I got hooked on Mount & Blade last week. If you can try it. The game is shareware, meaning you can play for free for the first several levels and then buy the license for no money because you must when the game finally sucked you in...

Expect an update tomorrow (or at the very latest Wednesday)

Whaaat? How could I miss this last update? Blast, I'm subscribed to too many threads...

Nice chapter, and interesting to get a glimpse at the famous Harold. He seems to have quite a few trustworthy men around him.

meadowroadoil16x20.jpg

The House of Aelfric
The road to Balley Beg. November 9, 1073

"I know my father is often crying when he thinks he is alone,” Eanbert said as he and Harold walked down the dirt road across the meadow. They had been walking alone for over an hour, after they managed to get away from Harold’s caretaker. Although it was autumn, it was quite warm and sunny. Harold wondered why the caretaker didn’t find them yet.

“You’re lying!” he said, “grown men don’t cry!” “You cry sometimes, don’t you?” Eanbert inquired. Harold sighed. “I’m not a grown-up yet, dummy.” “But you are nearly two years older than me! If men don’t cry, why can older boys?” “That’s easy. I’m still a child as well.”

Eanbert considered this answer. Harold had been like a big brother to him, and big brothers are always right. On the other hand, Eanbert was a big brother to Aslak, and Harold doubted if they ever listened to each other. “Well, my father does cry when he as alone”, Eanbert continued. “He misses my mother, and my sister.”

Harold knew that Eanbert’s mother, Sophia, died two years ago, when Harold was the same age Eanbert was now. But a sister? “Did you have a sister?” “Yes, my father said that she died before I was born. He cries much for her too.”

sophiadied.jpg
Eanbert's mother and unborn sibling died in August 1071​

Harold simply nodded. He wondered what it would be like, having a brother or a sister, or a father and a mother. Sure, he had Hunwald and Eadhild, but he knew they were not his real parents. Hunwald had told him the story of his father a thousand times already. And always Harold would ask him why his father would have to die in that battle, and never Hunwald could answer.

---

The rest of the trip to Eanbert’s father’s homestead they were quiet. They had never travelled here alone before, and rarely on foot. The trees lining the fields and pastures were quickly turning brown, and some of them were even shedding their leaves already. The few insects and small rodents the encountered were also preparing for winter. A flock of geese had been practice-flying over Rosien for the past days. When the wild blew, it felt cooler. The boys ran the last bit of the way, and were happy to be into the warmth of the homestead. The housekeepers ignored the boys. When Eanbert’s father saw them, he scolded at them for loosing their caretaker. But Eadric Aelfricson was never angry for long. As Harold remembered this, he wondered if this man could cry. Then again, Harold never lost anyone. He didn’t know sorrow yet.

“Do you know my mother, Sir Eadric?” Harold asked. The man smiled politely, and nodded. “Yes I do. I met your mother in Legacaestir. Had it not been for her, then we would not have been here on Mann.” “What did she do? What happened?” Eadric sighed. “Well, the Normans took my earldom, so we fled to Legacaestir, where your mother was. A boat has been send to bring her to here, but instead she allowed others to take her place, and stayed behind.”

Harold looked at the old man. Did you mean that his mother could have come to Mann – to him – but didn’t. She abandoned him. He could have been with his mother, but she rejected him. The mother he never had. Eadric clearly realised what he had just said.

“There, there, Harold. I’m sure she had a very good reason not to come to Mann. She believed that her brothers would do silly things. And I am sure that she completely trusted you were save here, and that the Normans would come after her if she came here.”

Harold nodded, but still couldn’t fight the tears. Be strong! Be a man! How could he feel so strongly about somebody he had never seen before?

“Listen, if you want to know more about your mother, you should visit old Aethelbert at Saint Patrick’s. He is supposed to have kept contact with her.”

AedricoftheWelshMarch.jpg
Aedric Aelfricson in better days​

<<Little happened. Eanbert started ecclesiastic education and the duke of the Welsh lands was declared a heretic and became excommunicated, and then lost half of has land because of independencies and Munster invading and taking a province. In the end he stepped down in favor of his infant son and went into exile to Magdeburg (seriously, he can be found alive in Germany, with his son in charge in Wales. Must be an event, but I never saw it happen before :D )>>

Last edited:
Harold's growing up, and it seems he's also getting a taste of the complications in life. Puberty's next! :D