• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(56759)

Corporal
May 7, 2006
Ok, So I decided to try my hand at an AAR. I am new at this so bear with me, I will be updating as often as I can so please don't hate me if its takes a while. I have my first installment of The Saga of Medlepad ready and will post it soon. Please leave as much feedback as you care to and let me know how I am doing. I am playing from the 1066 scenario, county of Medlepad. I will not be cheating, nor changing events. So if I suddenly die off forgive me. I will be trying to do pictures with this but i figure one step at a time. So here we go and thanks for your support!

The Saga of Medlepad

Kolbjorn, Count of Medlepad gazed out upon his land from his small castle near the sea. Barren now due to the harsh winter he, he longed for the lush green that covered the heavily forested lands during the summer. Kolbjorn loved his homeland dearly; it had always been home to his family. Way before Kolbjorn had been born his family had been the most powerful clan of the pagan tribes that were scattered over the land. When the Medlepad family was had become the most powerful clan in the area they carved out a home for themselves and proclaimed rule over all of it. Kolbjorn was now Christian as his great grandfather Ulf of Medlepad converted and established it as the religion of the land.

Kolbjorn was married to Ulvhilde, a local girl whom he had spotted one afternoon a year ago while hunting. Though not of noble blood, she was of good stock from the land he loved so dearly. He hoped that she would provide him with a fine, masculine heir that was as much a part of the land as Kolbjorn felt he was.

Wise and well educated Kolbjorn had no great desire to become a man of any power beyond what he already held. Some said he was a coward, but Kolbjorn knew he lacked the finesse required to obtain claims, tittles and power. But Kolbjorn knew that he would be put to the test as the two kingdoms around him would try to claim him as their own. There was also the constant threat of the pagan tribes to the north, once brothers they were now enemies due to there religions. Though he cared not if men were heathens or Christians, Kolbjorn knew that they were a threat to his lands and that he may have to take the offensive against them in order to protect himself.

Kolbjorn knew that tough times were ahead of him, and that his home and his people were on the verge of obliteration, but Kolbjorn were persevere and fight as hard as he could to save what he loved.

Some days later Kolbjorn poured over the current financial standing of the land with his Steward and Cousin, Helna Forsa. The two sat in Kolbjorn’s private chambers and discussed the different ways to increase income.

A knock came at the chamber door

“Enter” Kolbjorn said as he glanced at a tax report. At the door messenger boy appeared bowed his head and handed Kolbjorn a scroll with and official seal on it, bowed his head again and took two steps back out of the room. Kolbjorn looked at the seal; it was that of a cat of some kind holding an ax. Kolbjorn knew it to be that the seal of Austmod, the Magistrate of Jamtland. Kolbjorn broke the seal and opened the scroll, his eyes widened as he read.

“Helna, send for my wife, and Ragnfrid immediately!” Kolbjorn exclaimed with enthusiasm. Without word Helna darted from the room and returned a few moments later with Ragnfrid Flugga, the Chancellor of Medlepad and Ulvhilde, wife and Spy Master to Kolbjorn.

“I have news, astounding news. We have an opportunity for a new ally! Austmod, the Magistrate of Jamtland has requested an alliance! I have decided this is most assuredly in our best interests and have already sent back to him word of our new friendship. We may have a future indeed.”

The courtiers smiled with glee at the news and Ulvhilde stepped up to embrace her husband and kissed him lovingly and whispered something into his ear. Now that there was a possibility of a future for Medlepad it was only fitting that she provided an heir to that future. Kolbjorn smiled for the first time in ages.

Good luck with your first AAR, the opening is promising.

Just one minor glitch, isn't it Medelpad ? :)

A first AAR is always a little daunting, but you've made a good start.

Sadly yes it is Medelpad...I have problems reading obviously. But If you can all forgive me for that mistake I have corrected it for the rest of my posts. Thanks for all your help and your support. I hope you are enjoying my story so far.

Dibblet54 said:
Sadly yes it is Medelpad...I have problems reading obviously. But If you can all forgive me for that mistake I have corrected it for the rest of my posts. Thanks for all your help and your support. I hope you are enjoying my story so far.

It is not a big deal, but you know you can edit your posts ? and you can ask a moderator to chance the thread title, just sent a PM to one of the moderators of the AAR forum.

Veldmaarschalk said:
It is not a big deal, but you know you can edit your posts ? and you can ask a moderator to chance the thread title, just sent a PM to one of the moderators of the AAR forum.

I know, im just too lazy to do that :rolleyes: ...besides not many people will read this anyway.

Chapter 2

It had not taken long for the alliance between Medelpad and Jamtland to become solidified. Ragnfrid Flugga, the former chancellor of Medelpad was now the wife of Austmod. It was a joyous day across the two counties, courtiers from both lands joined together in song and dance in celebration of the union.

“I shall miss your guidance Ragnfrid. You have been a loyal friend and cousin.” Kolbjorn said as he said his goodbyes to his chancellor. Ragnfrid’s eyes were filled with tears as she parted from the Kolbjorns court to start a new life with her new husband. Kolbjorn sighed heavily, Ragnfrid had been someone he could rely on in times of need, and now he was without her. But the gains made by the marriage would benefit his people far more than having Ragnfrid by his side.

Days later a new courtier arrived from Jamatland with a message. It seemed that a beautiful young lady named Sigrid Get would be arriving at the court of Medelpad, a gift of sorts from Austmod. She had been the daughter of one of the lesser nobles of Jamatland and was highly skilled in the art of diplomacy. Austmond knew his marriage deprived Kolbjorn of a chancellor and he felt she might perhaps be of some use to Kolbjorn. Upon arriving at the court, Kolbjorn was immediately impressed but the abilities of the young lady and immediately appointed Sigrid his new Chancellor.

Chapter 3 is much more interesting...so please tune in :)

I will look forward to it ;)

Chapter 3

“How could he!!” Kolbjorn yelled in fury. “After all we accomplished…he betrays me like this!”

Kolbjorn pounded his fist into the table and stormed into his private chambers leaving his wife and chancellor Sigrid alone in the great hall. Sigrid sat back and looked over at Ulvhilde who was deep in thought.

“It is hard to believe Austmond would so easily give up his sovereignty to Olaf Haraldsson.” Sigrid said to Ulvhilde. “Our ally is lost.”

Ulvhilde was worried more now about her husband, she had never seen him this angered before. She was not sure what he would do.

“We should do something about this Ulvhilde…we should send a message. Betrayal will not go unpunished…” Sigrid said angrily as she stood up and began to pace the great hall.

Ulvhilde shook her head in disgust, Sigrid was always quick to send an assassin, she was a vengeful woman who could be very dangerous if crossed. Thankfully it was not up to Sigrid; Ulvhilde was the Spy Master and her assassins were loyal to her alone.

“We shall do nothing of the sort Sigrid…Austmond is now protected by the king of Norway, and we have no right to determine his fate, as no one has the right to determine ours.”

Sigrid hissed “You have no stomach for your position Ulvhilde, Perhaps someone stronger…” before Sigrid could finish, Ulvhilde jumped up from her seat, slammed her palms down on the table and pierced the very soul of Sigrid with her gaze.

“I need no education on strength you spoiled whelp, I have seen and done far more than you have! I have not been hidden away in some court my whole life like you…No I consider the lives of my people first…and the life of my child!”

Sigrid’s eyes widened in shock “Child! You are with child…I am sorry I…I didn’t know…”

“Not even my lord Kolbjorn knows…I myself only discovered this very morning.”

Ulvhilde had always been kind to Sigrid; she had been alone when she came to the court of Kolbjorn and Ulvhilde took her under her wing and treated her as a sister rather than her subordinate. Now Sigrid would be able to help repay that kindness.

“This is joyous news and certainly makes the news of Austmond’s betrayal seem trivial, you must tell Kolbjorn, he will be thrilled.” Sigrid smiled at Ulvhilde and went to her side. Seeing that Sigrid was genuinely happy for her, Ulvhilde embraced her sister. It was a relief to have someone she could count on close to her.

“Thank you Sigrid” Ulvhilde wiped the tears from her cheeks. “I must tell Kolbjorn now” and with that she parted the main chamber.

Sigrid still in shock barely noticed her assistant Belwar standing in the corner.

“Belwar you scoundrel! How long have you been standing there?”

“Only a moment my lady, but long enough to hear the news, but fear not I shall remain silent, I dare not ruin my lords fun.” Belwar smirked and approached Sigrid. “I come with great news my lady, as I was going through the manuscripts I came across a parchment which is of some...interest. It seems that our dear lord has a claim on the county of Faereyar. A peculiar claim indeed, but legitimate my lady.”

Sigrid smiled as she inspected the parchment handed to her by Belwar. This day certainly was turning out to be an important one.

That was a nicely handled scene. The ending is quite different from the beginnig, with a nice couple of surprises along the way.

I was going to follow up on the claim but something far more pressing occured. But you will have to read my next chapter to find out what! :D

Kolbjorn.jpg

Our noble lord

Chapter 4

Some time had passed in the peaceful realm of Medelpad. It was now early summer and the land was bright and green. Two new additions to the court arrived during the winter, both very welcome indeed. Olaf Bure, a noble and valorous warrior, came to the court of Kolbjorn and offered his services as Martial. His battle scared face was stern, yet there was a jovial nature about him. One would hardly know from his casual nature that he had seen untold horrors while fighting the pagans that dwelt in the lands across the sea. But when it came to the art of war, there was no finer man in the land. Kolbjorn himself was a poor soldier and knew he was, but with Olaf at his side his armies would now fight like veterans.

Olaf.jpg

The Valorous Olaf

The most important arrival though came on 9th day of February; Ulvhilde gave birth to a son whom would be named Magnus. Kolbjorn could not remember a day when he had felt so proud than the day he held his son in his arms. Kolbjorn would make sure Magnus would be raised directly by him, as his father had done, and his father before him. Kolbjorn knew that it would take a toll on his health and his coffers, but that was a price he would gladly pay so that his son would grow up just, wise and fair.

Magnus.jpg

The newborn Magnus

Kolbjorn stood on the parapet of castle Medelpad, the cool breeze blowing on Kolbjorn’s face brought with it the smell on the sea. The day was beautifully clear and from atop the hill where Castle Medelpad was positioned, and one could see for miles. To the east lay the great sea, cold and dark, Kolbjorn detested the sea and was grateful he seldom needed to traverse it. To the north great forests stretched out for miles, that is where Kolbjorn truly felt alive. Kolbjorn would often ride out into the forest for some solitude from the hectic life of the court, though as of late he had been able to do so less. Attending to his son’s future home was far more pressing. Kolbjorn gazed out across his realm and took pride in the beauty that he beheld.

The peace that Kolbjorn loved so, was about to be shatter. Kolbjorn saw it first in the distance…a large cloud of smoke rising far on the horizon to the north. Deep down Kolbjorn knew…Medelpad was being attacked.

I like the second arrival! ;) War though is definitely not good news.