• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting times ahead. ;)

By the way, I like your take on the North African Cardinal minister. Though I'm not sure he's the first one. During Roman times, Africa (Tunisia, Lybia, Algeria mostly) was a catholic diocese before Islam came.

You make a very good point. I had forgotten to take into account just how much of Roman Africa had been Christianized before the rise of Islam. I suppose we will just have look at it as this being the first Maghreb Cardinal since the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Too bad that doesn't sound as impressive...

They only have Malta at that start. I know at earliest start they are on Rhodes and unless you get an alliance with a big power the Ottomans kill you quick. To be fair I was also playing Death and Taxes modification when I last played them some years ago. Was still a fun playthrough. Managed to survive the initial Ottoman attack, barely. Slowly took land away from them. Oddly enough due to being on Rhodes I had Greek Culture, so whenever I took Greece I was able to form that kingdom. Then as I took more land from them, being Greece, I was able to form Byzantium again, which had fallen early on. Then I spent the rest of the game trying to reform the Roman Empire. They're a tough nation at start but very fun to play.

Interesting that in EU3 the Knights are Greek. In Eu4 they are Occitan, a french subculture, so I could theoretically form France if the opportunity arose but could not do the same thing you did unless I conquered lots of Greek provinces and culture shifted. Regardless, I want to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem so I will not be doing any of that this game.

the TUrks seem unstoppable.... I wonder if the Knights do have a plan... besides their faith in Victory :p

69HCuNq.jpg

This will be done by colonizing through the Sahara so we can reach the technologically inferior, heathen, and most importantly rich lands of the Sub Saharan West Africans.
Now look at that, I'm thrilled to see such unexpected decision (for me at least :))!

ZbrzkXS.jpg

Okay we got this! We've been improving relations too, so maybe we can get up to +100 and then-

HCfD4Nf.jpg

*BLAM*
It feels terrible but I laughed my ass off with this :D.

Last edited:
Chapter 4: The Sub-Saharan Crusades

1571-1587

The Ottomans had eight vassals, and if any had been annexed other than Algeria or Tripoli, we would have been fine. Now that we share a border with the Turks, things are looking grim. Even so, the Ottomans have no claims on our lands and so we still have some time to blob before they decide to crush our little empire, so blob we will!

Ea9drwV.jpg

The Sub Saharan Crusades had begun! We were horribly outnumbered in this war, since we needed to leave 3000 knights behind to prevent the colony at Djado from being overrun, and it would take a while for our Maghreb vassals to arrive. Even after hiring mercenaries, this left us with only 11,000 knights and one cannon regiment to subdue four sub-saharan kingdoms. No matter… we are six military techs ahead of the Sub Saharan nations (8 vs our 14) so stackwiping has never been easier!

rWABlJZ.jpg

Well that went worse than expected! Our merchant heir has fallen in battle! Let the next richest merchant take his place as heir!

dFhyCo4.jpg

Finally an heir which is proficient in something other than warfare! We were starting to fall behind diplomatically and administratively so this comes as welcome news.

Even after our allies arrive, the engagments with the Sub-Saharan alliance are steadily draining us of manpower. I also forget to switch ally focus to support our main force, so the Touggourt and Djerid forces naturally decide that it is a brilliant idea to go off on their own to seige forts where they cant possibly be safely protected. While winning is certainly doable, I note that the enemy alliances are set up in a way that if I end the war immediately and get the Sultanate of Air out of the picture, I can wage a more favourable war than if I just try to get a high warscore now.

9Wh6zzL.jpg

Above: my two vassals rushing to their deaths…also a peace treaty

The Air Crusade results in us gaining the three regions of Tenere, Damagaram and Kawar; all these are poor 3 dev provinces, but our new expanded borders are the real prize here. Let us take advantage of this immediately.

A3lp1n4.jpg

The Crusades must go on! The Yao and Katsina Sultanates alone can not hope to stand up to the charge and musket of the Knights of St. John!

DnomWI5.jpg

Oh my… it seems that the religious wars of Europe had begun. The Ottoman involvement in this war was excellent; this means that it was unlikely that the Ottomans would attack anyone for the next decade while they focused on the European religious wars. France strangely decides not to get involved in the religious wars. It seems that the Protestant League has a fair leg up on the Catholics, which is quite unfortunate. We can not spare the men to help our Catholic brothers. Let a prayer be made for them, and we shall continue our crusades instead.

ymo6q5e.jpg

Our colony at Djado is complete. This means that we have no more need of colonists or explorers, so we will drop the Exploration idea set. In exchange, we will get back 80 diplomatic points (equal to 10% of the first two ideas we took) and invest them into the Influence idea group. Reaching the fifth influence idea is the main goal since it gives us +2 diplomatic reputation and will make it much easier to form an alliance with Spain or France.

avvXDxY.jpg

By 1574, the Second Sub Saharan Crusade has ended and we demand complete annexation of all of the Katsina Sultanate as well as the rich interior portion of the Sultanate of Yao. While all of our Sub Saharan conquests so far do not yield any money, at least by gaining control of two centers of trade we can allocate a mercant from the Genoa node (where it was making 0.03 ducats) to the Katsina node (for over 0.2 ducats instead). We decide to pass the two religious decisions, Conventicle Act and Blasphemy Act, since together this provides a +2% missionary strength boost; there is a tradeoff of losing 2 tolerance of heretics, but honestly in Africa we have no heretical provinces so this is effectively a free boost.

JqvNrFx.jpg

I guess now I know why France decided to take a pass in joining the religious wars. The Grandmaster eyes the European wars anxiously; would Spain be willing to seek new alliances if she were sufficiently weakened in these two conflicts? Would the Ottomans be weakened, or would they simply blob even more from the religious wars? It was impossible to tell at this point. High revolt risk and religious instability in the newly acquired African regions meant that we needed to slow our expansion and deal with domestic problems.

While two nationalist revolts do happen between 1574 and 1577, we are able to quickly convert most of the newly acquired provinces and core many of them without too much difficulty. Not much else happens during this relative period of peace for our nation.

njhAIoN.jpg

Our presence as a Western nation has set technological change in motion in Western Africa. While coring and conversion is still underway in our nation, we are tempted to strike the weak nations around us and keep pushing. The Songhai Empire is westernizing, and many of the smaller Sultanates are compartively weak so are also good targets for expansion.

G9bxqFN.jpg

We declare a quick Crusade for the province of Rano since the owning nation has no allies. Our Grandmaster passes away from old age at this time, and Claudius de Blois (2/6/5) takes control of the Knights. The newest mercant heir is chosen, and our burgher class is increasingly loyal because we keep selecting heirs from their social group. We quickly demand diplomatic assistance from the Burghers for an additional 100 free DIP.

Grandmaster Claudius quickly proves to be a diplomatic and military genius and we quickly begin filling out the influence idea group and continue to keep far ahead in mil tech. The military reform decision fires for a nice 200 free DIP monarch point gain, and the ‘Skilled Diplomat’ event also fires for another free 50 DIP points.

9Tu64zo.jpg

But enough of developing our Influence! The only influence that one should care about is the kind of influence that comes through waging war against the infidel! Let the crusades continue!

MscDfsI.jpg

fFIzmtJ.jpg

Even when our general passes away three days into a battle we kill three men for every one we lose

In 1580, an emissary reaches our court and brings the long anticipated news; the religious war in Europe had ended.

w0w54rs.jpg

The Commonwealth and Brandenburg had grown in this war while Austria and Russia had substancially fallen in terms of relative power; this was something to keep in our long term consciousness while not immediately important. More importantly, what we feared had come to pass: the Ottomans had once more emerged stronger from this war than when they entered.

Ulw5Ti2.jpg

Well that certainly makes things worse for us. The 25% tech malus on the Ottomans for being in an inferior tech group was one of the only things slowing the Ottomans down.

5G9QEvN.jpg

Hoho, I wonder if the Spanish would be open to an alliance now… and they said no. In fact they are still 30 points away from accepting an alliance. The new ‘Has powerful allies’ modifier combined with the already huge penalties to our small relatative strength really dampens the chance of setting up alliances with great powers… at this point I am regretting taking influence because a 10 point relations bonus isn’t enough to seem to make a difference so far. At this point I’ve done all I can… the Ottomans will surely attack us now and no great power will save us.

1wG1hrz.jpg

But we are surprised to hear that the Ottomans consider us and our lands irrelevant…

What?!

I don’t understand… I thought this whole time the time until an Ottoman invasion was counting down… and now they have no interest in us??

Oh I see how it is… now that the Turks are ‘Western’ they no longer care about some backwater North African nation, is that how it is? How dare they underestimate the Knights of St. John! We will show them they have made a grave mistake by not crushing us when they had the chance!

cTKuNdD.jpg

But first let us crush technogically inferior African nations on our borders. There can be no time to rest; since the Songhai empire is at war with the neighboring Sultanates of Morocco and Jolof, and is furthermore westernizing, it is the perfect time to declare a holy war to take the rich lands of West Africa in Christ’s name.

6bajZRb.jpg

bBX48xN.jpg

Even with a superb 4 shock general leading the Songhai-Kong lines, the tech disparity is too great and we are able to pull crushing victories which obliterate the enemy manpower and quickly drive up warscore. Besides, at this point our Maurician infantry have sufficient fire levels that they can inflict severe casualties on the enemy lines before they can close the distance and reach us for the shock phase, which weakens the impact of their charges.

We use our accumulated papal influence to commission a holy war, which provides a 15% manpower recovery speed bonus for the next two decades. Jolof soon white peaces out with Songhai, but Morocco occupies a full third of the nation. We occupy the more capital at Gao and much of the Eastern half of the country, and the Songhai Empire quickly finds itself crushed and forced to submit our reasonable demands.

NiEeGQV.jpg

Pictured Above: reasonable demands

Word reached us that the Ottomans had taken the mission to 'Conquer Tunisia', so it seemed that the strange temporary desire to leave the Knights of St. John in peace had faded. Our diplomats once more visited the prominent European courts seeking someone, anyone who would be willing to take an alliance against the Turks. An alliance with Ferrara, a small Italian duchy, was signed since they seemed to be one of the few nations willing to ally us. Between having Corsica, the Papal States and now Ferrara as allies, it seemed that the Knights had somehow gotten strangely intertwined with Italian politics.

eJMRQQE.jpg

Our economy was not looking too great; despite the many new acquisitions coming from our successful Sub-Saharan crusades, our tax and production income had more or less remained unchanged. Our force limits had risen, but without a corresponding income boost, all this did was encourage larger rebellions among the conquered peoples that we were forcefully converting. (Note: our total income before the Air Crusade was 7.7 before expenses).

A grand celebration began! Many wondered why the Grandmaster had decided to throw a grand gala with all the important people of the realm at such a time of uncertainty. What cause could there be for celebration? Grandmaster Claudius stood before the assorted nobles and made a grand toast, where he revealed those gathered why tough times were over for the Knights of St. John.

dGNG1ZA.jpg

Last edited:
Seems the Knights are building a power base where the Ottomans can't reach quickly before any war with them begins.

1wG1hrz.jpg

But we are surprised to hear that the Ottomans consider us and our lands irrelevant…

What?!

I don’t understand… I thought this whole time the time until an Ottoman invasion was counting down… and now they have no interest in us??

Oh I see how it is… now that the Turks are ‘Western’ they no longer care about some backwater North African nation, is that how it is? How dare they underestimate the Knights of St. John! We will show them they have made a grave mistake by not crushing us when they had the chance!

Word reached us that the Ottomans had taken the mission to 'Conquer Tunisia', so it seemed that the strange temporary desire to leave the Knights of St. John in peace had faded.
You wanted their attention, now you have them ;).

Congratulations on the Knights-French alliance. Things are looking good for the order of St. John.

kicking Turks from Europe will be almost imposible

I really like your writing style ;)

And I bet Ottomans aren't considered 'distant war' if you ask France to help with favours. Especially not if they are France rival :)

BUT, I'd seriously consider an invasion of castille now, with help of france.

Better that YOU take it with help of france, then france asking your help versus THEM.

If you don't take French vital land, you can easily get away with it.

Seems the Knights are building a power base where the Ottomans can't reach quickly before any war with them begins.

The Sub-Saharan regions are actually quite profitable because of high value goods like dye and ivory in most provinces and also because of how easy it is to dominate a trade node. Much better than my starting region :D

For now the best thing is the constant free papal influence from converting all the Sunni provinces... I can permanently keep all the papal bonuses of +15% tax, +1 dip rep, +15% manpower and so on... its like a free idea group!

kicking Turks from Europe will be almost imposible

Noooo! Don't give up hope or the Ottomans win! :eek:

I really like your writing style ;)

And I bet Ottomans aren't considered 'distant war' if you ask France to help with favours. Especially not if they are France rival :)

BUT, I'd seriously consider an invasion of castille now, with help of france.

Better that YOU take it with help of france, then france asking your help versus THEM.

Thanks for the support atwix. I'm didn't even consider expanding into Spain actually since I was so focused on the Ottoman threat and was used to seeing Spain as a potential ally. It's a great idea, and might do that.

Sahel, West Africa, Spain, the road to Jerusalem doesn't go in a straight line it seem. ;)

We will get there though! The Holy land beckons! :cool:

You wanted their attention, now you have them ;).

Congratulations on the Knights-French alliance. Things are looking good for the order of St. John.

Things are indeed looking good for the Order. The French are actually willing to accept a call to arms against Ottomans if I promise land, although I'm not sure if now is the time to go and risk that...

Chapter 5: The Road to Jerusalem

1587-1600

The gala dinner was beginning to wind down, with some attendees having already taken their leave for the night. There was still some revelry and drinks being shared in the grand hall, but Grandmaster Claudius was back in his chambers, considering how the Order of the Knights of St. John should procede.

Tz8xyhQ.jpg

There was a number of pieces of correspondance which the Grandmaster was poring over. One letter came from a spy in the Spanish court, and informed the Grandmaster that the dutch lowlands had seceded from Spain to form a new independent Netherlands. This, coupled with the new French alliance and the already strong ties with our various italian allies, made expanding into Spanish Italy a prospect worth considering. It was unfortunate that the Crusader Navy had been so neglected over the past few decades; it was unlikely that with only nine light galleys and transports the Knights would be able to pull off a naval invasion of Spain with France. The Grandmaster made a note that the navy should be expanded when the funds became available so that in the future such opportunities would not be missed again.

RpRgDQT.jpg

By the end of 1587, we have completed the Influence Idea group as well as our national ideas. We switch to administrative focus at this time so that we can catch up administratively and eventually take the fourth idea group at ADM tech 14. We could declare war on the Ottomans at this time since the French would accept a call to arms in the event that we promise to give them land in the peace treaty. The Grandmaster knows that the Ottomans have nearly full manpower (100,000) and 70,000 men ready for combat. Grandmaster Claudius sends orders to his Ottoman agents to keep him informed on any wars or conflicts which open weaknesses in the Turkish juggeraught.

HxGkLiH.jpg

With limited expansion opportunities throughout the mediterranean, the Knights are forced to wait… but we will not do nothing! Instead we shall continue the Sub-Saharan Crusades to find wealth and recruit more Knights to join the ranks against the Ottomans!

uRk6GXz.jpg

The Sultanate of Yao is wiped from the map.

zis2GLC.jpg

A window of opportunity closes; the Grandmaster learns that most of the Netherlands is once more under Spanish control. Perhaps many of the other Western powers were too exhausted from the religious league wars to have the resources to intervene and assist the fledgling dutch nation?

C8ptRpU.jpg

With most of the Knights’ Sub-Saharan holdings still being between 85 and 95% autonomy we are earning only a tiny fraction of the income and manpower that could be gained if we further centralized these lands. We invest a substancial amount of effort (405 ADM + 1.3 monthly state maintanence cost) into turning the Hausa region into a state.

ldnAqx9.jpg

Knights’ Sahel > Knights’ Africa?

After carefully allocating all the new portions of the Hausa State to the various estates, we see our income climb from 8.6 monthly income before expenses to 12.4. The Hausa culture also becomes accepted now that they are an integral part of our growing Christian empire. Our home island of Malta has declined in relevance and becomes unaccepted culture at this time. The Grandmaster laments that he can not give the other African holdings the same amount of attention to centralize them (imagine how rich would the Knights of St. John be), but with the administration of the nation being so woefully behind other nations it was vital to invest in improving technology so that the next idea group could be adopted.

xURJ3NL.jpg

More papal influence is always good.

7maLRON.jpg

In 1593 Grandmaster Claudius passes away. As Johannes Baptista de Montbeliard comes forward to fill the seat of the Grandmaster, he decides to deviate from precedence and nominate a talented theologan as heir instead of a mercant. This is because the Knights are not quite so strapped for cash, and also because the beorgeoisie is already stauch supporters of the state so we gain minimal influence by further currying favor with this estate. The new heir is named Filibertus (3/4/1).

6Hr2OLB.jpg

It seems that the clergy have taken the appointment of one of their own as heir as a sign that the balance of power is swinging in their favor! The climbing dominance of the clergy is something that the Grandmaster will need to be wary of…

gaxYcAs.jpg

To arms men! The time has come to drive back the Ottomans and begin paving the way to the holy land once more!

GzXY1Bb.jpg

Oh… are you sure you don’t need our help France?

Alright then.

7RpPqOs.jpg

Sigh… this is not what the Knights thought was coming when they were told to ready their arms.

xZgVMlC.jpg

Grandmaster Johannes receives frequent reports on the ongoing Ottoman-French/Commonwealth war from his agents and from the French emissaries. The Ottomans are being crushed as they try in vain to hold back the French at the Hungarian plains.

The Knights of St. John are armed and ready along the border at all times in case a call to arms should arrive…. but none does.

cbr5V1w.jpg

Later the next year, the Grandmaster has come to terms that there is no chance of a call to arms arriving, and that the French must want to grab as much as possible in the peace agreement for themselves… in which case bringing the Knights in only means less land for themselves. Emperor Louis de Valois must indeed be a cunning and greedy man if this was the case…

The Ottomans had almost completely lost contol of the Balkans at his point, though they refused to give up the fight in the Hungarian plains.

The Grandmaster knew that what he was considering could backfire horribly, and could even be considered insane. He did not care. If the glory of the Knights of the Order of St. John was to be reclaimed, this was the best chance they would have to take it! With the majority of the ottoman forces trapped behind the french lines, fighting fiercely but trapped at the Hungarian plains, Grandmaster Johannes declared a Crusade against the Turks.

taHVrcT.jpg

The Knights streamed over the borders into Ottoman controlled Magreb with the goal of quickly capturing this region to prevent ottoman reinforcements from this flank and to drive up warscore by taking the two major forts in the region. The French asked for military access, which was swiftly granted. The Grandmaster was grateful to hear that the French Armada was assisting in blockading the Ottoman Magreb forts and had kept most of the Knights’ coastal regions free of Ottoman blockades.

bZVTXYu.jpg

Our spies informed us that Crimea was annexed by the Ottomans. Other agents informed us that the Ottomans had pushed back the French-Commonwealth forces out of the southern balkans . The Grandmaster prayed that neither side would gain an advantage so that a drawn out war would prevent the Ottomans from commiting many resources against the Knights.

4wcJtmE.jpg

The Ottomans were able to muster a small defensive force (7,000) to try and repel our invasion, but it was largely composed of artillery and quickly cut down once the small infantry screening force was dealt with. A gift of 75 gold ducats arrived from the Austrian Archduke to assist us against the Ottomans.

3wZ70CN.jpg

Drive the Turks into the sea where the French wait to destroy them! God wills it!

dvf33zT.jpg

Neither side seemed to be making progress in the Ottoman-French war. A few provinces had traded sides and tens of thousands lay dead throughout Transylvania, but no progress was made. It seemed that the Ottomans were suffering more though because they had a smaller manpower pool than the combined French-Commonwealth alliance, and its balkan vassals were slowing being decimated.

cq0dQdx.jpg

By halfway through 1597, the Ottoman Magreb was completely under control of the Knights. Tripoli (an Ottoman vassal) continued to be a thorn in our side, but sending men across the strait risked having them trapped by the Ottoman fleet. Instead, we ordered our Muslim vassals to cross instead and crush the insolent little nation while we prepared our own armies for what was next. At this time word reached the Grandmaster that the Persian Empire had also declared war on the Ottomans. The one province Sultanate of Fezzan had so far served as a buffer between the Knights and the Ottoman Empire, and hated both equally so it was unwilling to give military access to the Knights. Now it was time to break through the buffer to get to the Ottoman heartland: Grandmaster Johannes declared war on Fezzan.

MO9u8jM.jpg

In Europe, the Turks had reached their breaking point and could no longer hold back the French-Commonwealth assaults. Most of the Turk’s vassals were now completely occupied.

ppm3sBu.jpg

More gifts arrived for the Order! It seems that the Turks had many enemies that were eager to see the great empire fall. The seige of Fezzan and the island belonging to the Sultan of Tripoli were complete. (Note: I forgot that owning both provinces on either end of a strait allows one to cross even if enemy ships are present, so that is how my Djerid vassal was able to muster his forces to rejoin us). We began to push towards Alexandria, not having seen any major opposition so far.

iweIlpw.jpg

The Ottomans were putting up a last ditch stand to defend their capital at Constantinople, but even the death of the French general from a stray musket shot was not enough to stop the French armies from overruning the defenders! Another message arrived at the court, but this time it was from the Ottoman Sultan himself.

l7ozSIi.jpg

Read as: Stop being a thorn in my side while I fight the French, Commonwealth and Persians. Take this gold and leave us alone.

Even if we die trying, with the Holy Land in sight we can not turn back! Onwards noble Knights and drive the infidels out!

j8zwSGG.jpg

A fleeing Ottoman army of about 27,000 reaches Cairo expecting a safe haven to resupply, but runs into our Crusader army where a battle erupts. We lose about 2000 Knights while we are able to inflict twice as many casualties on the Ottomans, but because of our small army size the ottomans are able to once more fall back without being cut off.

g0afTPG.jpg

This event again?! I actually followed the recommendations last time and you want more?! Nothing for you then! REJECT THEIR AUTHORITY! :mad:

qszkDtD.jpg

The Ottoman-French war has come to an end! After the fall of Constantinople the Turks admit that there is little hope of winning and settle for a humiliating peace treaty so that they can turn to deal with the other two thorns in their sides: us and the Persians. The loss of Serbia, Transylvania and number of Austrian provinces is sure to weaken the Ottomans immensely. Even so, we should seek to end our war as soon as possible as well.

7sJRsd7.jpg

Northern Egypt falls to the Crusaders! We are in sight of Jerusalem, but decide to send a regiment of cavalry north to scout for oncoming enemies and see a stack of 48,000 Ottoman soldiers marching towards us.

zBoyZNW.jpg

A lot of our warcore is coming from winning all our battles (superiority casus belli), so a battle with the Ottoman main army can only be bad for us. We send an emissary to the Ottoman Sultan and demand the Holy Land. Perhaps because his armies are not yet in reach and he believes there are more of us than this is in reality (which is only 19,000 men plus our two vassals), but in whichever case, he accepts our demands. We have done it! Even though the road to Jerusalem was long and arduous, we have succeeded! The armies of The Order of St. John marches into the city of Jerusalem victorious!

Reactions:
Congratulations with this historical milestone in the Order's history! Hopefully you'll be able to hold onto the land, and keep them from rebelling against the rightful owners of Jerusalem. But I'm sure you will succeed: Deus vult!

To arms men! The time has come to drive back the Ottomans and begin paving the way to the holy land once more!

should have declared that war after all maybe ;)

I would go for Alliance with Commonwealth also.. If you can get france and PLC as allies, you are golden versus ottomans.

With the majority of the ottoman forces trapped behind the french lines, fighting fiercely but trapped at the Hungarian plains, Grandmaster Johannes declared a Crusade against the Turks.

you are bold, I'll give you that!

Drive the Turks into the sea where the French wait to destroy them! God wills it!

LOL.. I like!

At this time word reached the Grandmaster that the Persian Empire had also declared war on the Ottomans.

Seems you made right choice :)

Read as: Stop being a thorn in my side while I fight the French, Commonwealth and Persians. Take this gold and leave us alone.

Even if we die trying, with the Holy Land in sight we can not turn back! Onwards noble Knights and drive the infidels out!

you really should write MORE AAR after this, you got talent ;)

We have done it! Even though the road to Jerusalem was long and arduous, we have succeeded! The armies of The Order of St. John marches into the city of Jerusalem victorious!

HURRAY!

So.. now what? Will you continue with new goals?

I would go for Alliance with Commonwealth also.. If you can get france and PLC as allies, you are golden versus ottomans.
you really should write MORE AAR after this, you got talent ;)
HURRAY!
So.. now what? Will you continue with new goals?

I tried looking into that... but I only managed to get in the Alliance with France because they turned friendly and I'd pulled like every +dip rep trick I could find (+1 for fixing overextension, +1 for papal legate, +2 for influence tree). Strangely enough once I got an alliance with France a new negative modifier called 'Knights already have strong allies' appeared when looking for allies so... guess 1 great power ally limit in 1.17 patch? :(

I will continue this AAR! Most of old crusader bastions still remain in Ottoman hands, which is unacceptable! Before that though, my position is fairly precarious since if I choose to revive the Kingdom of Jerusalem then my capital moves to Jerusalem... which is in quite a dangerous spot now...

I actually do have another AAR, and thanks for the support, I'm enjoying writing even though I'm fairly new at this:oops:

Finally the holy land is back on christian hands! Congratulations!
Congratulations with this historical milestone in the Order's history! Hopefully you'll be able to hold onto the land, and keep them from rebelling against the rightful owners of Jerusalem. But I'm sure you will succeed: Deus vult!

Thanks everyone, I'll make sure I let the Grandmaster know to make you all honorary Knights ;)

congratz! now Palestyna and Syria!

congratz! now Palestyna and Syria!

I'd get Messina and Mecca first, to show those Sunni folks the crusaders are back!

But granted, Syria and Palestyna are needed too!

Congratulations on retaking the Holy Land! However, I'm a bit nervous at how isolated it is, surrounded on all sides by hostile terrain.

ETA: I am guessing that with the acquisition of the Nile river delta, money is not going to be as pressing an issue as before. In that case, maybe it's time to start expanding the fortifications in the Levant? Or perhaps a realm-wide construction initiative is in order?

Last edited:
Great move falling on the vile Ottomans like you did, and the Holy land is free. You should make everything in your power to keep the French alliance, they seem to be quite inclined to fight Turks. Maybe get the Commonwealth as well?

Liberating all the former Crusader states in Palestine, Syria and Lebanon is a great goal. I'd like to see a reformed kingdom of Jerusalem, even if it's a risky move. ;)