• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WAR!!!
Chapter Thirty-Three
June 1st - 18th, 1940

On June 2nd, 1940, Winston Churchill was appointed Prime Minister of Great Britain. Churchill favored a strong stance against the Axis Powers and was expected to give Britain a boost.

screenhunter48sep021449.jpg

On June 3rd, the Empire of Japan entered a state of war as Japan joined Germany's effort against the Allied Powers of the West. It was now time to liberate Asia from its colonial puppet masters!!!

screenhunter50sep021450.jpg

Japanese forces were positioned north of Nepal, Bhutan, and India. Other Japanese forces were positioned along the borders with Burma and Indochina, ready to attack.

With the outbreak of war, heavy industry emphasis economic laws were implemented.

screenhunter51sep021453.jpg

The first battles of the war were in our favor, but progress was slow. We also received unwelcome news that Iraq and Kuwait joined the war against us.

screenhunter53sep021455.jpg

In a somewhat unrelated note, the Soviet Union delivered an ultimatum to the Baltic States: either give up and be annexed or war was to be declared. Estonia and Latvia folded and were annexed, but Lithuania refused to fold to the Soviet demands. Thus, a war now existed between the Soviet Union and Lithuania as the USSR continued to engage in territorial expansion.

screenhunter54sep021457.jpg

We received several intelligence bonuses because we were in a war with allies, tremendously enhancing the abilities of our intelligent networking.

screenhunter55sep021458.jpg

By the 5th of June, significant progress was already seen in northern Indochina with a victory at Lang Son. Hanoi was not far away now.

screenhunter56sep021459.jpg

Meanwhile, four divisions from the 1st Imperial Marine Corps embarked on transport vessels on their way to an amphibious invasion at Saigon in southern Indochina. It was hoped that if Saigon and Hanoi could be captured swiftly the Indochinese would realize the futility of their fight and fold. The 1st Carrier Fleet would help to protect the transport fleet as it carried the marines down south into potentially hostile waters.

Luxembourg was forced to surrender on June 6th as German troops were now making headway into France itself.

screenhunter58sep021502.jpg

A significant factor was overlooked in southern China as French troops began to mount an offensive out from the French colonial outpost at Zhanjiang. France apparently had more units stationed there than expected, allowing them to mount offensive operations.

screenhunter59sep021503.jpg

With a potential crisis developing, elements the 1st Imperial Mobilized Corps were to be landed on Hainan.

Unfortunate news was developing in Bhutan and Nepal as opposing troops were better equipped and more in number than accounted for.

screenhunter61sep021505.jpg

More bad news was received on June 8th, when Japanese Imperial forces at Tezpur were forced to retreat.

screenhunter62sep021507.jpg

In the wee hours of the morning on June 9th, Japanese Imperial Marines stormed ashore at Saigon. An Indochinese garrison division along with two headquarters brigades were defending the city, but they were heavily outnumbered and it was expected that Japanese forces would take the city within a week.

Meanwhile, in northern Indochina that afternoon Japanese forces began to mount and attack on Hanoi.

screenhunter64sep021509.jpg

The French advance on Hainan was stopped in its tracks at Haikou on June 10th with reinforcements being brought in by sea.

screenhunter65sep021509.jpg

Immediately, these units began to mount a strong counterattack across the strait, but their offensive would ultimately wind up unsuccessful.

screenhunter66sep021510.jpg

Meanwhile, Japanese troops began to mount an assault on the British at Hong Kong. Unfortunately, prospects looked bleak for a Japanese victory there.

The first significant victory on the Indian front from Japanese forces occurred on June 13th as Japanese forces won a bloody battle at Kohima.

screenhunter68sep021512.jpg

The victory at Kohima was followed up by a victory at Lahe in Burma that afternoon.

screenhunter69sep021513.jpg

Unfortunately, that news was followed up with a loss at Lhunze. Unless significant reinforcements could be brought in soon, a Tibetan province might fall into Indian hands, which was unacceptable.

screenhunter70sep021513.jpg

On June 14th, battles at Saigon in the south and Hanoi in the north were won. The battles were bloody on both sides, but particularly so for the Indochinese.

screenhunter71sep021514.jpg

On the 17th of June, Belgium lost its last territory in Europe and was forced to move its government to its African colony.

screenhunter72sep021516.jpg

After just over two weeks of fighting, the French colony of Indochina surrendered to Japan on June 18th. The colonial leaders refused to formally surrender, but instead fled into exile to London, however. Nevertheless, this knocked Indochina out of the war and would serve as a huge tool for propagandizing the Japanese populace.

screenhunter73sep021517.jpg

Germany makes steady progress and should defeat the French soon. It seems that pro-democratic parties are popular in your country, hence the problems with "Partisans" strategic effect. You should support your own party and appoint ministers boosting the popularity of the ruling party.

Your economic situation looks good, except oil. Be sure to prioritise the conquest of oil-rich provinces.

Germany makes steady progress and should defeat the French soon. It seems that pro-democratic parties are popular in your country, hence the problems with "Partisans" strategic effect. You should support your own party and appoint ministers boosting the popularity of the ruling party.

Your economic situation looks good, except oil. Be sure to prioritise the conquest of oil-rich provinces.
Yeah, I am beginning to use my spies to support my party now. Don't want to let the democratic parties get back into power!

We cannot let the Chinese take Tibet! It is the key to world domination! :p
So what is the real reason for not letting Nanjing-China take Tibet?

The HPP 1.8.1 mod doesn't have whatever event that allowed Nanjing-China to take Xibei San Ma, the Communists, Nationalists, Guangxi, and Xingiang. I think that's probably been fixed in HPP 2.0, but oh well. I just tried to justify it in that way, haha.

Disaster at Shanto Bay
Chapter Thirty-Four
June 19th - 30th, 1940

By mid-June, Japanese forces from Indochina began to move northward in an attempt to cut off the French forces advancing into southeastern China.

screenhunter74sep021518.jpg

Japanese troops were driven out of Gasa by a Bhutan offensive on June 21st after suffering horrendous losses.

screenhunter75sep021520.jpg

In the early morning hours of June 22nd, the Japanese 1st Carrier Fleet ran upon a massive British fleet consisting of some three fleet carriers, 13 battleships, 45 screens, and nine transports. The Japanese Carrier Fleet consisted of a carrier, three battleships, and four screens.

The Imperial 1st Carrier Fleet had met its match. The guns were blazing and Japanese aircraft put up a valiant effort in the skies, but in the end the heavily outnumbered Japanese fleet was forced to retreat.

Losses were heavy on both sides, but the IJN could not afford to lose much and, thus, the Battle of Shanto Bay, as the engagement came to be known, was a disaster for the Imperial Japanese Navy. By the time the guns were silent and the Japanese 1st Carrier Fleet was on the run, the fleet had lost two heavy cruisers, two light cruisers, and a destroyer flotilla. The carrier and three battleships were damaged, but managed to limp back to port in Tokyo.

Japanese forces managed to sink three British transport flotillas, but this barely put a dent into the massive British fleet. The victory essentially sealed British control of the South Pacific Ocean for the time being. Japan still maintained control of the Northern Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan, but Japanese expansion into the resource-rich Dutch and British colonies in Oceania would be very difficult now.

screenhunter76sep021522.jpg

Imperial Japanese Army at Nanning and Myitkyina helped to brighten the news on the 24th as Japanese troops were gaining momentum in northeastern India and northwestern Burma.

screenhunter77sep021524.jpg

On June 25th, the Japanese advance on Hong Kong was halted after horrendous losses. Hong Kong remained surrounded and there was little risk of British offensive operations from the city, but until Hong Kong could be eliminated, a concentration of Japanese troops around the city would have to be maintained.

screenhunter78sep021525.jpg

Real progress was now being seen in Burma and extreme northeastern India as several provinces were now under Imperial control.

screenhunter79sep021528.jpg

Meanwhile, offensive operations continued in southeastern China as French forces were now at risk of being cut off and isolated from their supply lines. Once this French menace could be eliminated, these IJA forces could be allocated elsewhere, perhaps in India or Burma.

screenhunter80sep021529.jpg

At the end of June, Japanese forces managed to hold off an Indian counteroffensive into Kohima despite being heavily outnumbered.

screenhunter81sep021531.jpg

Pictured below is the overall strategic situation as of June 30th, 1940.

screenhunter82sep021533.jpg

Bad news about Hong Kong, as it will distract more divs and potentially allow the British subs to sink your convoys. You should invite Thailand to your alliance or attack it right away in order to gain access to the Malayan Peninsula and broaden your front against Burma.

:eek: Did the Brits send the whole Royal Navy to the Pacific! What the hell... Looks like you might be doing a lot of walking across Asia for a while...

Tough going in Nepal and Bhutan. What happened there - the terrain or strong opposing forces?

It's a combination of poor infanstructure and mountainous terrain. There was a AAR that had the same problem, no supplies can reach your troops over there due to it.

Bad news about Hong Kong, as it will distract more divs and potentially allow the British subs to sink your convoys. You should invite Thailand to your alliance or attack it right away in order to gain access to the Malayan Peninsula and broaden your front against Burma.
I would invite Thailand if they were close enough to the Axis. After the French are dealt with an eliminated in southeastern China, I will turn my men back westward and probably invade Thailand, though, If they refused to join our crusade for liberation of Asia, then they shall be "liberated" from their incompetent government.

:eek: Did the Brits send the whole Royal Navy to the Pacific! What the hell... Looks like you might be doing a lot of walking across Asia for a while...

Tough going in Nepal and Bhutan. What happened there - the terrain or strong opposing forces?
I don't know. I just known that when I saw that the British had 16 capital ships in one fleet, it was going to be a long, battle... :eek:

Nepal is a combination of tougher-than-expected opposition, defensible terrain, and supply issues.

It's a combination of poor infanstructure and mountainous terrain. There was a AAR that had the same problem, no supplies can reach your troops over there due to it.
Yep. It is tough to keep those troops continually supplied, which is irritating but realistic, I suppose.

The Royal Navy is a major pain. If you want to beat them: tech, tech, tech. Although the amount of battleships they sent at you is insane. Not much you can do in those situations besides hit them hard and run.

I noticed your 2nd Carrier Fleet has three battleships. Its better to have battlecruisers or heavy cruisers along with light cruisers and destroyers to protect your precious carriers. Hopefully that will help you out in the battles ahead.

Example:
Carrier
Battlecruiser/Heavy Cruiser
Heavy Cruiser
Light Cruiser
Light Cruiser
Destroyer
Destroyer
Interesting. I have not put any research into battleship techs since the game started and the IJN Yamato is the only battleship I have put into production and it is about finished. I know carriers/cruisers/destroyers are the boats of the future and that battleships will just be vessels for the museums and history books by the end of the century. I just need to actually produce some ships as I largely have the same navy I started with at this point (with the exception of a few light cruisers).

Building some light cruisers and destroyers as Japan is very reasonable. Your heavier units are more likely to survive a beating and the smaller ships are relatively easy to produce.

I'd still try to build carrier task forces like this: 2x CV (one CV might be substituted with an CVL), 2-4 CA / CL, 4-6 DD. I use the heavier units as pure battlefleets (2x BB of which one may be substituded with an BC, 2-3 CA, 1-2 CL, 2-3 DD) and what remains of lighter units as anti sub units (1 CL, 4 DD). I didn't calculate these fleets for their optimal performance, rather use them because they 'feel' right and achieve what I want them to do.

Since CAs are not capital ships in HPP, they are actually useful, since they have more range and firepower than other screens. If enemy ships close in, CAs have the best chance of repelling them. Also, they use the same practical as CLs, so it gets easier to build both of them.

Building some light cruisers and destroyers as Japan is very reasonable. Your heavier units are more likely to survive a beating and the smaller ships are relatively easy to produce.

I'd still try to build carrier task forces like this: 2x CV (one CV might be substituted with an CVL), 2-4 CA / CL, 4-6 DD. I use the heavier units as pure battlefleets (2x BB of which one may be substituded with an BC, 2-3 CA, 1-2 CL, 2-3 DD) and what remains of lighter units as anti sub units (1 CL, 4 DD). I didn't calculate these fleets for their optimal performance, rather use them because they 'feel' right and achieve what I want them to do.
Thanks for the advice. I am still getting used to naval warfare in this game, which is one of the reasons I picked Japan. I hope to get it down with this AAR. :cool:

Since CAs are not capital ships in HPP, they are actually useful, since they have more range and firepower than other screens. If enemy ships close in, CAs have the best chance of repelling them. Also, they use the same practical as CLs, so it gets easier to build both of them.
Interesting. I have been investing money into light cruisers, but I will have to look into some heavy cruiser production, then.

Sorry about no recent updates. I have tests tomorrow in Calculus III and Physics 208 and have had to study quite a bit. Later this week I should have updates.

I see that HP 2.00 is out and I may give that a try, although I will continue my two 1.8.1 dynasties, regardless.