• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(74032)

Count of Cayenne
Apr 10, 2007
The Rising Sun

Takeshi Kurita hurried up to get to his masters chambers. In front of the old cherrywooden door stood two guards. A quite unusual thing and it meant to him that something went wrong in Kyoto or that his Master was no more save in his own castle.
„I heard the master is already back from Kyoto, isn't he?.“ Takeshi asked.
The guard nodded. „Yes Kurita-Shacho, the daimyo arrived some minutes ago. He's awaiting you.“ The guard opened the door and Takeshi entered. As he entered Masamoto Hosokawa arose from his cushion, a gesture of great respect for his advisor who served the familiy since the youth of his father Katsumoto Hosokawa. Takeshi bowed down befor his daimyo. „Hosokawa-Tono welcome back at home. May I ask what the cause of your exepected early return is?“
„Immediacy is none of the virtues you taught me back then and it is inpropiate for members of our rank. But your behaviour is not baseless. The council of daimyos is disjointed about the future of Nipon. Now as they are their own masters and the ashikaga shogun is just one of them only separated by his title they are all looking to for oppurtunities to gain more power. Right in front of the shogun were plots hatched and lose alliances made. And the struggle for power and control of Nipon has just begun.“ Katsumoto paused and looked expectantly to his advisor.
„It will not be long till daimyos will send assassins to kill each other. merchants will be robbed by their neigbours. And then it is only a matter of time until it comes to fullscale warfare. It seems like the sun stopped shining for us and that we are facing a long and dark night. But Hosokawa-Tono why did you retrun so early? Was there not a chance to spare our people and Nipon this dark future?“
„No Kurita-San, even you would'nt had a chance to convince the gathered lords of a central authority to reorganize Nipon. I returned early because everything has already been said in Kyoto and instead of a central authority we from now on have dozens of feudal daimyos controlling their little parts of Nipon. Sooner or later they will savage themselves like a pack of hungry wolves. I returned today so we can use the time the other lords waist in Kyoto to prepare ourselves for the upcoming challenges.“ Explained Masamoto .
„So shall I order to strengthen our fortifications my Lord?“ Takeshi asked.
„No Kurita-San, I have other plans. In these days will be decided who belongs to the hunters and who to the prey. I am certainly not eager to be prey. Rather the opposite is correct, I shall be known as the hungriest and strongest of all the wolves.“
„As your diplomatic advisor and councellor for internal affairs it is my duty to warn you. Our peoply are weary of war. They have a long and hard civil war behind them. They won't be lucky to go to war right away. And think of the distrust you will arose by all the other daimyos when you declare war without a cause against one of your neighbours.“ Takeshi tried to convince his master.
„There is no easy way for our people to choose. There is only a hard and short way to unity and stability for Nipon or an even much longer and harder one. I prefer the first one.“ Masamoto replied.
„And you think you are the one who brings unity and stability to our people while you rise to be shogun yourself?“ Takeshi asked.
„Isn't it the birthright of my family to aspire the shogunate? My claims go back to the ancestor of my family who was the son of the first Ashikaga-Shogun. My father ever tried to consolidate and to protect the shogunat against all illoyal separatists. Know it is no longer possible do protect the Ashikaga-Shoguns, it is time to replace the current one with somebody who wields real power. It will probably not granted to me to end the Ashikaga era and to become new shogun. But my son or one of my descendants should.“ Masamoto ended his speech.
„So Hosokawa-Tono, I see you made your decision. Just tell me how I can be most useful to you?“
„First we have to conscribe more regiments, and thus immediately. And I want you to hire all of these shady and dishonourable warriors who fight for those who will gain them the most money. I am not lucky that we have to hire them, but without their help we won't have a chance. Tell my brother he should gather my troops and make them ready for battle. Further we should assure that the Myoshi Daimyo supports us.“
„I will send a messenger to the Myoshi Daimyo and offer him advantages for his merchants when he supports us with troops and supplies. But please allow me the question who will be our first target? Will we attack Oda to finally settle this old feud?“ Takeshi asked.
„No our troops will move to the west!“ Masamoto answered.

screenie1iv9.jpg

A map depicting Nipon in 1477. It will be a long and winding road to unification...

Goals for my first AAR

Version: EU3 v1.3 with MM3
Nation: Hosokawa
Date: 11.9.2007

Goals:
1. Destroy the Asikaga-shogunate and become shogun by myself
2. Unify quarelling Japan (becomming tenno?)
3. Already the second sovereign should become shogun
4. Save Ryukyu against Ming annexation (secondary)
5. Colonize Taiwan (secondary)

Longtime goals:
1. Prevent Mings rise to a superpower
2. Become a colonial power, colonizing Spice Islands

Personal goals:
1. Improve my writing style
2. Improve my gaming style

Goals:
1. Destroy the Asikaga-shogunate and become shogun by myself
2. Unify quarelling Japan (becomming tenno?)
3. Already the second sovereign should become shogun
4. Save Ryukyu against Ming annexation (secondary)
5. Colonize Taiwan (secondary)

Longtime goals:
1. Prevent Mings rise to a superpower
2. Become a colonial power, colonizing Spice Islands

Personal goals:
1. Improve my writing style
2. Improve my gaming style

Most Important Overall Goal
1. Have Fun!

I added a last goal for you. Good luck in this one.

Looks interesting and very different.

The only request I have is paragraphs, the text is very hard to read so close together.

First Succession War

Part I: The First Succession War!

Myoshi entered our military alliance and offered us a trade pact.

Masamoto Hosokawa meditated at a little pond near the village at the border to daimyo Yamanas territory as Kurita-San entered.
„My lord, I've come to inform you about our latest diplomatic efforts.“
„So have we the support of daimyo Myoshi?“ Masamoto asked.
„Yes Hosokawa-Tono, as expected they couldn't refuse our irresistible offer. Further daimyo Oda has sent a messenger to offer us an alliance. I told him I would inform you about his request.“
„No!“ Masamoto interupted him. „I will never join an alliance with our eldest enemey the false Oda snake.“
„Well, if you decide so.“ Takeshi respond. „But I have further news for you, quite irritating ones. The Ouchi daimyo completely absorbed the territory of the Mori familiy. Despite this daimyo Yamana joined an alliance with daimyo Amago.“ Takeshi told his lord in a somber voice.
„So it already has started. That is for sure no advantage for us, but maybe history will show some mercy for the fact that it wasn't me who made the first step. Daimyo Yamana will make this little war a lot more tougher. But nonetheless send daimyo Yamana a declarence of war.“ Masamoto put on his helmet and an hour later the army marched towards enemy lines.

On November 14th war was declared and our troops marched westwards. On November 19th the enemy was engaged and on November 22nd we won a major victory against Yamana's army.

Daimyo Hosokawa looked westwards as the sun went down. Before him layed the battlefield and hundredes of dead enemy soldiers layed before him while he merely lost a dozen of his own warriors. The enemy army was quickly beaten and now they flee headless and spineless to the west. To the south he could see the castle of Yamana. The garrision was now preparing for a long siege. Not yet Masamoto thought. The auxillary troops will soon arrive and besiege the castle but by dawn I will pursue the remainder of Yamanas army and will attack them when they join with Amagos army and then the Amago castle should be taken by a coup de main.

On December 14th we defeated the enemy armies at Izumo. The castle fell to our assault on January 18th.

At the province capital of Izumo:
“Hosokawa-tono has declared that all possessions of the Amago clan no longer belong to them but are now ruled and administrated by himself and his magistrates. The orders of his highness magistrates have to be followed under all conditions.“
A murmur went through the gathered crowed but short time ago the peasants and merchants left and went back to work.

Some hours later:
„My leash, your orders have been carried out. 500 will stay to protect your new possessions and the rest of your army is ready to leave“

In the daimyo's tent during the siege of Harima:
„While you stormed Amago castle a lot of things happened at Osaka Hosokawa-Tono. After you declared war on the Yamana family the other daimyos became upset and soon they digged out claims of their own for their neighbours lands and now noone ist trusting anyone but himself. Shogun Ashikaga said to me that the „Sengoku Jidai“ (age of warring states) had now begun. And a few days ago Daimyo Oda insulted you and your family in a harsh way and he warned us to never turn our back towards him. But I also have good news. The people are now much more calm as they see, that your preemptive strike was a just cause to protect them. And our mobilization is running very smooth, every day dozens of young men enlist.“
„Thank you for your report from Osaka. Do you have further informations about the operations of our enemies?“ Masamoto asked.

„Yes Hosokawa-Tono, I have ensured information that both Yamana and Oda have infiltrated our espionage-network and are planning further operations.“ Takeshi reported.
„That doesn't sound good, I will care about those problems as soon as this war is over.“
A messenger entered the tent and bowed befor the daimyo. „Hosokawa-tono, Kurita-Schacho. I was sent to you to inform you that daimyo Odas has been attacked by the omagawa and miko daimyos.“
„Thank you. You may leave now.“ Masamoto said. „This may be a good oppurtunitiy to destroy the hideous Oda clan.“

After the Yamana daimyo died on the battlefield and the people of Harami accepeted their new feudal lord, Masamotos army marched to Osaka to rearm. As Masamoto received the message that the army of Oda was succesful in their attemp to defend Kii he declared war on Oda too and Masamotos army marched again.

After a short battle against Oda's already demoralized army Masamoto lead an assault against the Oda castle. The castle defenders stood only five short days against the tigerlike warriors of Masamoto. While Masamoto Hosokawa waited for the leader of the Oda clan to accept the peace terms of total capitulation an unsigned message arrived. The unknown sender warned the daimyo to no longer follow his aggressive strategy.

On the 2nd of May we conquered Kii. Six days later Oda was annexed, despite a warning form an unknown ruler.
With the acception of total annexation by the Oda clan the First Succession War ended for the Hosokawa clan but in other parts of Nipon it raged on.

Last edited:
@stroph1: I wouldn't make an AAR if this wouldn't be funny.

@Lafayette 53: What do you mean?

@BBD316: I'll try to use more paragraphs and break up the text by some graphics.

@Baneslave: Thanks, the next update with some more progress is "under construction". Just give me some time to edit the graphics so they can tell a story of their own. On monday I'll try to get some samurai related books from university...

Interlude​

„I must say that now everyone knows that you are a hunter and at the moment it seems that you are the leader of the pack. During the last month while you were storming from victory to victory your allies and soldiers learned to love you and your enemies learned to hate and fear you. Yesterday we received another warning and we are not sure if we should take it seriously or not. Meanwhile the other daimyos try to grow in power so they can withstand your next moves.“
„And we will grow in power too Kurita-San. We always have to be one step ahead. And we have to be two steps ahead of those who warn us.“ Masamoto explained.
„That is the reason why your brother prepared a map to show us the ongoing battles between the your rivals and then we might plan our next steps.“ Takeshi looked to Hiromoto.
„Hosokawa-Shacho would you please inform us about the war and about our possible options?“
Hiromoto unfolded a grand map and displayed it on the table.

„It for sure is an honour to me to do so.“ After a short pause he began. „Right to the north of us the Takeda, Toki and Asakura daymios formed the so called „Lotus Alliance“. They are no imediate threat for us but they declared war on the shogun. And if they win this war which is very likely they will become extremely hard to beat. This developement is the most unpleasing one. And I would recommend to take action immediately by helping the shogun to defend Kyoto.“
„I have to contradict you.“ Takeshi interrupted him. „It wouldn't be wise to take immediate action because of our already bad relations with the other daimyos and the lack of the support from our people.“
„Well, then the shogun has to wait.“ Hiromotos finger wandered to the east. „The eastern theatre of war sees the Ouchi along with their vassal the Otomo fighting against the Shoni. It's very likely that the Ouchi will win this and grow stronger but they are no thread for us in the near future. But the western theatre is completly unpredictable. There are five minor daimyos fighting more or less each other to survive. Either the status quo will be restored after the war or one or two daymios will gain immense power from it.“
„Good. That is even better than I hoped.“ Masamoto said. „Let them cripple themselves in the meantime we willgive our warriors some rest and figure out some warplans.

As Masamoto received news of Kyoto's surrender he smiled. To prepare the liberation of the shogun he ordered that some proof should be found or made that he has also claims in the kuni (province) of Yamashiro. Equipped with a (false) casus belli and a strong army at his commanded Masamoto waited for the right moment.

Part 2: The Second Succession War​
The War against the „Lotus Alliance“​

On the first of March 1479 Masamoto believed that it was now the right moment to attack. The winter was over and the threat of a local uprising had disappeared. Masamoto declared war and attacked with 8 infantry and 2 cavalry regiments Kyoto (province of Yamashiro) while 8 mercenary infantry regiments defended the province of Kii. Another army consisting of 8 mercenary infantry regiments stayed at the capital Settsu.

The battle of Yamashiro was rather short due to Masamotos leadership. But the „Lotus Lords“ started one counter attack after another why Masamoto gave orders mercenary army stationed in Settsu to marched to Yamashiro and reinforce Masamotos army. Meanwhile the cavalry regiments where commanded to Settsu to reorganize.

A few attacks where also launched against Kii.

In the autumn of 1479 the defenders of Kyoto surrendered. Supported by a new formed army of 8.000 mercenaries and 2 new cavalry regiments. Masamoto commanded a new offensive along the entire frontline with all available troops.

The attack on Echizen by 8.000 foot soldiers led by a common officer failed but the „grand army“ commanded by Masamoto consisting of 24.000 infantrymen and 4.000 cavalrymen was able to beat the enemy at Mino. Masamoto left 16.000 foot soldiers (all of them mercenaries) behind to besiege the capital as he followed the retreating enemy forces with the remaining troops to Shinano.

The battle at Shinano ended with a hard fought victory for Masamoto. But his troops were too few and too exhausted to launch an assault on the fortress. This little war was completely different as the previous. This time he wasn't hurrying from victory to victory and taking all enemy fortifications in the twinkling of an eye. This time it was all about patience.

There were also a few things going one at home. A local Sumarai submits in Harima which gives us a core. In a dispute between to military schools we went with offensive instead of defensive.

In the meantime Daimyo Asakura besieged Kyoto for three days until the retreating mercenary army pushed him back into his own territory.

By the end of the year Mino surrendered and the whole Toki clan was succumbed into the Hosokawa clan. The first „Lotus Lord“ was down, two left.

In the summer of 1480 Shinano surrendered and now Masamoto had enough troops available to face the gathered troops of the Asakura and Takeda clan in Echizen.

A hard but short battle was fought and as one part of the army chased the the enemy troops the other part conquered the capital. The Asakura clain joined the destiny of the Toki clan on August 28th.
The Takeda clan had to cede Yamahiro, pay 50 ducats and became a vassal of Masamoto Hosokawa two days later.

After the „Second Succesion War“ we control now 7 of 23 japanese provinces.

Interlude
The shogun in his golden cage​

„In 1480 Hosokawa Masamoto liberated the town of Kyoto and freed the Ashikaga shogun. The shogun was very thankful and invited Hosokawa-tono to his palace. Hosokawa-tono stayed for ten days and he explained the shogun his vision and plan to unify Nipon again. The shogun was so attired by Hosokawas vision that promised any aid and assistance he could give. Thus Hosokawa Masamoto continued to unify Nipon with the accordance of the shogun.“
Takana Hirohito in his opening lecture at the University of Kyoto

The time between the 2nd and the 3rd succession wars was a time of strengthening and greater stability for the Hosokawa clan. The Emperor granted Masamoto important titles for his merits to strengthen Nipon and soon his reputation was restored. Merchants from Osaka traded with everything and everyone on Nipon and made huge profits. One of the daimyo's advisors Kenshin Ikeda made some major astronomical discoveries and soon he was known in the whole world.

After Kyoto was liberated (or conquered as some screwd intellectuals think of it) and the shogun assured his aid for Hosokawa Masamoto most of the common people believed that he was blessed.
The stability rose, the treasury climbed to new heights and local samurai submitted.

In the east the war between Date and Hojo went on and on and the military leaders demanded to infere in behalf of one of the warring clans. Probably they were just eager to show their cunning and bravery but Masamoto denied their request. To declare war on one of them as long as they were struggling with one another seemed to him to be backstabbing and thus not compatible with bushido. So Masamoto ordered his diplomats and his „agents“ to find a cause to wage war against one of his neighbours. None could be found until the shogun appointed him shogu of Echigo.

3rd Succession War

Prelude​

On July 17th 1482 we declared war on clan Uesugi, the owners of Echigo. Hosokawa-tono led overwhelming numbers against the minor clan and so the war was soon decided.

In January 1483 the clan was succumbed into the Hosokawa clan. By the same time Hojo and Date finally settled their war. Hojo was victorious. Date had to release Nanbu, pay 50 ducats and became a vassal of Hojo. The peace treaty was not in our favour. We no more were facing a war with a 4 province strong enemy but with its an ally (Nanbu) and its vassal (Date) too.

The plan is to strike quick and hard to push Hojos armies out oft their defending positions at Owari ( 3rd and 4th army). The enemy provinces (mainly the Hojo ones) should be occupied as fast as possible to cut them off from support and reinforcements (mainly 1st and 2nd army). The „Takeda Auxillary Army“ will try to occupy the capital Musashi.

3rd Succession War (continued)
Main part​

War was declared on January 8th. One month into war we already made a nice progress and most things happened as expected. Even that the „Takeda Auxillary Army“ was not able to occupy Musashi was to be expected. To oppose enemy counter attacks and avoid eemy breakthroughs another army (4 Inf Regs) was recruited and deployed to the frontline.

As we were busy in the eastern theatre Ouchi DoWed Ichijo in the western theatre. The picture above shows the ongoing wars in mid-1483.

The war went pretty good for us and one besieged city fell after another. On the left the first taken city (Shimotsuke April 1483) and on the right the last one (Musashi July 1484).

In November 1483 the troops of Hojo were beaten most enemy provinces were occupied and it seemed tat this war would soon be over.

A civilwar broke out in the Ming Empire. A circumstance we might use in the near future to weaken them. And with some luck the rebells might cause the country to collaps and thus the vassalisation of the Ryukyu-Islands would be nullified. Just for the case that we are forced to intervene we start building a little fleet.

The last field battle was fought in February 1484 in the province of Ezochi. We won the battle and occupied the province due to no fortifications. But the war was not over. Musashi the capital of Hojo with level 3 fortifications won't surrender yet.

While we were waiting the Ming found some time besides their civilwar to diplo-annex the Ryukyu Islands. This complicates my plans.

In September finally a peace treaty was concluded which ended this war with huge territorial gains for the Hosokawas.

Now we control 12 of 23 japanese provinces.

Delex said:
Victory is near. Next is korea right lol*

No not anylonger. I abandonned this a year ago or so. I ended up in 1790 with my brave samurais on a north-south border from St. Petersburg to Istanbul.