• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

truth is life

General
89 Badges
Nov 29, 2007
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For the Motherland
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
This is a gameplay AAR starting in 1453 with Venice using EUIII v 1.3 and MM IV v. 1.3.1.

I have three main long-term goals as Venice: 1. Unify Italy.
2. Establish a massive trading empire.
3. Become a major colonial power.

Our starting situation is pretty good; we have an excellent 7/7/7 Doge right off the bat, a fairly good army, excellent policies, and we are already at war with Milan. First off, I move one step towards Mercantile (the other good choice, Naval, has a penalty to land unit construction costs, something we do not need), begin construction of an infantry unit, and switch NIs from National Trade Policy to Shrewd Commerce Practice.
Once the unit is done, I attach it to my existing army and attack Lombardia. I win, but with large losses, and settle down for a siege. Once it finishes, I offer a peace treaty: Vassalization and 50 ducats. The Milanese accept, and I withdraw my forces to Venetian territory. I also begin to dispatch merchants to the wealthiest trade centers in Europe, starting with Venice itself. My goal is to have 5 merchants in every trade center by 1490, so that I have a large income to devote to colonization.
Soon after, the Sicilians attack Modena, requesting that I come to their aid. I accept, and begin sieging Ferrara. Unfortunately, Sicily agrees to a peace treaty soon afterward, leaving me holding the bag. I decide to just up and redeclare war--since I have 0 BB and -2 stability, this causes no significant problems--and rapidly capture Ferrara and Modena. I propose another vassal and money treaty, and Modena accepts. By this point, I have 5 merchants in both Venice and Antwerp. Everything seems to be going Venice's way.

(Does anyone know where Vista hides screenshots? I took a bunch but have no idea where they are after poking around for a while.)

Yeah, i have Vista as well. Dam Microsoft, it's well and truly useless... anyway. The only way i know how to do it is when your in the game press the print screen button, go into powerpoint and then go to paste. And Voila! There it is.Then just right click on the image and you can save it wherever you wish.

If you have trouble getting out of the game to put the screenshot in powerpoint i think if you press ctrl and then escape it will minimie the game.

Hope this helps!

truth is life said:
Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that...oh well.

Yeah it's a big stupid operating system. It bugs up alot of the game as well when you try and attach mods or install updates with it's constant "can i do this" pop up junk.

Ah, a Venice AAR! Any chance of screenshots? If you dont know how to get them to work you can probably find out somewhere on the forums or have someone show you.

t0m: I know that, I just can't find where the F11 screenshots go. Oh well.

From 1459 to 1474 not much happened. Milan and Modena were convinced to join themselves to Venice's growing might, Venetian merchants spread across Europe, and most interestingly (and yet frustratingly) Aragon had gotten into a major war with Castille--a war Aragon seemed to be winning. This is of particular interest because Aragon had earlier acquired Ancona, a key province in Italian unification. Still, it will tie up Castillian resources, possibly aiding in my colonization efforts. Also, all of the central Italian powers have gotten into a system of alliances headed by the pope, which may make it slightly difficult to attack them. (See, screenshot!)
ScreenshotV1474-3.jpg

(See how Cornwall is yellow? That's Algiers, of all people!)
Any comments on how well I'm doing?

Last edited:
ProffessorEGADD said:
Yeah, i have Vista as well. Dam Microsoft, it's well and truly useless... anyway. The only way i know how to do it is when your in the game press the print screen button, go into powerpoint and then go to paste. And Voila! There it is.Then just right click on the image and you can save it wherever you wish.

If you have trouble getting out of the game to put the screenshot in powerpoint i think if you press ctrl and then escape it will minimie the game.

Hope this helps!

If I don't misremember, vista dumps the screenshots in you user profiles application data folder>local>virtual store>program files>paradox if you install the game in the program folder.

ProffessorEGADD said:
Yeah it's a big stupid operating system. It bugs up alot of the game as well when you try and attach mods or install updates with it's constant "can i do this" pop up junk.
This is something I can't understand: So many people complain on this. Why don't you just turn the pop-ups off? It was the first thing I did when I got Vista!

the F11 screenshots just go into the C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Eu3 folder, I think.

and what happens when it crashes?

rcduggan said:
the F11 screenshots just go into the C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Eu3 folder, I think.

and what happens when it crashes?

Not on Vista when you install the game in the program file folder.

Long live Cornwall! :D

rcduggan: I'll just be playing along, doing whatever--nothing special, just looking at different reports and whatnot--and it will suddenly CTD. Vista throws up the "oh-no, it crashed!" screen, but it doesn't really tell you anything.

Note: I managed to fix the crash issue by completely uninstalling Magna Mundi (deleting all of the directories and files), then reinstalling it.

EU3_20.png

At first, I began to expand the army and navy, due to my large surplus.

EU3_22.png

Then, I luckily get a casus belli against Aragon. Naturally, I take advantage of this; I need Ancona!

EU3_25.png

Unfortunately, my armies get beaten. Badly beaten.

EU3_38.png

Somehow, I manage to start winning. Even better, I get a peace of about 20% warscore out of each, even though I only had 8% or so.

EU3_51.png

The emperor decides (after more than a decade!) that he doesn't want me to own Modena or Milan anymore. He decides to try threatening an embargo and war. 20 years down the drain!

EU3_62.png

The state of the world in 1485: West.

EU3_63.png

East.