• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
State of the World, 1515: The New World
EU3_12-1.png

Southwest Europe:
EU3_13-2.png

(note that I captured the Canaries from Sicily)
Southeast Europe:
EU3_14-1.png

Northeast Europe:
EU3_15-1.png

Northwest Europe:
EU3_16-1.png

Religion:
EU3_17-1.png

(note the very rapid spread of Protestantism and Calvinism(!)

This game is rather odd for one played in Magna Mundi. Much more blobbing than normal, a strong Scotland, slow colonization (no one yet has any colonies in the Caribbean!).

Just read through. Looks interesting what you are tyring to do.

During 1516, the Papal State and Switzerland declare war on me. This is a big problem, since I have 0 manpower and only seriously weakened armies.
EU3_1-2.png

Earlier, I had not signed alliances with my vassals, fearing a lack of control. I fixed that now, but the damage was already done.
EU3_3.png

The Pope and the Swiss managed to capture almost all of my territory. I was forced to give up Abruzzi (at least it gives me a future casus belli) and two of my vassals! I think this is the worst defeat I've ever had in EUIII.
EU3_4-2.png

After this horrible defeat, I was left in peace for 6 years, allowing me to rebuild my armies, (mostly) finish colonization, and research. By 1525, I've mostly returned to my former power; soon, Rome too will be subject to Venice.

Shiggs said:
Nice job with Venice... surprising to not see Castille and Portugal go berserk in the new world colonizing..... France and Ottomans........ wow.... I don't think I've seen many blobs like that even in vanilla.... haven't tried MMG mod yet, but the events look very interesting.. Keep up the good work! :)

With Magna Mundi Gold (for NA) you can expect many, many new features besides the ones portrayed here...

truth is life said:
During 1516, the Papal State and Switzerland declare war on me. This is a big problem, since I have 0 manpower and only seriously weakened armies.
Ouch!
I'd have suggest meercenaries (a lot of mercenaries), since you seem to have the cash - but maybe taking it on the chin was the smart move in the long term if you want to go on colonising.

Incidentally, how did Sicily end up with the Canaries?

In late 1525, Venice advances to gov tech 11. This allows me to move to the government I will use for the rest of the game--the Administrative Republic. The +5% to trade efficiency provided by this form of government will greatly aid Venice, due to our extensive trading efforts.
EU3_1-3.png

6 years later, little of note has happened. However, I am finally ready to convert to Protestantism. Even though it is not the best religion for Venice (that title goes to Calvinism, with a +10% bonus to trade efficiency and +5% to tax revenues), it is still better than Catholicism, for the simple reason that all of my high-tax territory is Protestant, and has a 40% penalty to tax income as long as I don't convert!
EU3_2-1.png

Converting significantly affects my relations with a number of countries, including a number that I don't even know of; odd, but useful.
EU3_3-1.png

When I begin colonizing the Caribbean, what should happen but this event:
EU3_4-3.png

Which shortly leads to this:
EU3_7-3.png

And then this!
EU3_9-1.png

How lovely.
Of course, I can't really stop until I control all of Mexico, not just the central bit; so, a few years later (after very luckily faking a core on the Aztec capital), I declare war on the Aztecs (who are allied to the Maya).
EU3_10-1.png

Of course, I utterly decimate their forces; Mauricans against Native American Spearmen? And with a numerical and leadership advantage? It's not even close to being fair.
EU3_11-2.png

Overview of the World, 1550: The Caribbean
EU3_14-2.png

Brazil
EU3_15-2.png

Southwestern Europe
EU3_17-2.png

Southeastern Europe
EU3_18-1.png

Northeastern Europe
EU3_19.png

Northwestern Europe
EU3_20-1.png

Religion
EU3_21-1.png

The almost complete lack of colonization in the Caribbean is really surprising, since it is usually one of the most heavily developed areas in the game; good for me, but surprising. Also, the clearing of all the alliances I had when I converted was slightly odd, since all of my allies were also my vassals; it shouldn't really matter that I converted to them.

After a few battles, I come to the conclusion that I cannot conquer both the Maya and the Aztec, so I settle for just the Aztec.
EU3_7-4.png

After a few years of boring economic development, I manage to diplo-annex Siena. I now have three of the four provinces I need to form Italy!
EU3_13-3.png

While I must now go to war with the pope to secure Rome, I don't have a casus-belli. I solve that through a liberal application of cash, and fabricate a core on Abruzzi.
EU3_20-2.png

Of course, I immediately declare war on the pope.
EU3_21-2.png

Four years later, I've come out really well, having forced them to release Avignon and cede Abruzzi. In five years, I can declare again and finally acquire the last territory required!
EU3_22-2.png

I do so as soon as the truce is up, casus-belli or no.
EU3_25-2.png

Just two years later, they are forced to surrender...
EU3_27-1.png

And four weeks after that, the Italian unification event fires! I am now Italy!
EU3_29-1.png

I've now achieved all three goals laid out in the initial post, so where does Italy go from here? Suggestions are welcome.

for some reason your pictures take a long time to load, it's been more than five minutes and they still are loading. any idea why?

rcduggan: It's probably because all of my pictures are unedited screenshots hosted off of one photobucket account (that I just got a bandwidth limit almost reached message for). I don't know which of those factors is the most important.

They're .png. You really should convert them to .jpg.:)

In 1581, I declare war on Portugal. They're a weak state with a small colonial empire, including several settlements in northern Brazil, which I would like to control.
EU3_4.jpg

Two years later, I manage to annex all of their Brazilian territories. I also wanted their South African and Indian Ocean territories, but unexpectedly strong resistance prevented me from securing those areas.
EU3_5.jpg

In 1588 this event comes up. Because I'm so centralized, I get +1 stability (nicely getting me up to +3), +3 base tax in Roma (!) and +50% trade efficiency for the next 10 years (!!!).
EU3_7.jpg

Wonderful!
In February 1589, I declare war on Genoa, so that I can vassalize them in preparation for annexation (my badboy prevents outright annexation, as does their possession of Corsica).
EU3_9.jpg

Two months later, I've achieved complete victory. Probably one of the fastest wars ever prosecuted in any Paradox game.
EU3_13.jpg

Unfortunately, in July Venice (a revolter from Croatia) declares war on me. By itself that wouldn't be too bad, but they're allied to France!
EU3_14.jpg

Venice is easily defeated, but France won't accept a white peace, despite putting no effort into prosecuting the war besides setting up a blockade, until 1592.
EU3_15.jpg

In 1594, I get two of these events right in a row.
EU3_16.jpg

That really hurts. (Not to mention that they give a trade efficiency penalty too!)

Last edited:
Overview of Europe and Italy, 1600:

Mexico and the Caribbean:
EU3_19.jpg

Brazil:
EU3_20.jpg

Southwest Europe:
EU3_21.jpg

Southeast Europe:
EU3_22.jpg

Northeast Europe:
EU3_23.jpg

Northwest Europe:
EU3_24.jpg

Up until 1600, I just kept expanding Italy's trade and colonial presence, planting Italian colonies along the South American coastline up to Venezuela and putting Italian merchants into several previously unexploited centers of trade.
The reformation has stopped, with Protestants being strong in the north and south and Catholics being strong in the center. I think this is because a lot of countries adopted Deus Vult while Catholic, probably because of the very strong Ottoman Empire.

Progressing very nicely.

Sweboy: I _was_ playing Venice. However, I formed Italy in the 1570s and sold Venice's Croatian territories to Croatia because I didn't want a couple of hard to defend, low value, wrong religion provinces. Presumably, there was a rebellion and Croatia couldn't control it, leading to the province seceding as Venice. Because Venice gained cores on most of my land when Italy formed, they had a casus belli; with France as an ally, they probably figured they could take me.

In 1601, this event pops up, just at the right time. While the prestige bonus is unnecessary, since I already have 100% prestige, the stab bonus is rather nice.
EU3_1.jpg

In mid 1602, this event comes up. A truly wonderful benefit for a trading nation.
EU3_2.jpg

Then, in late 1604, Venice declares war on me again! Once again they are allied to France, though this time they have Sicily with them too. I decide to wipe out all the little powers first, leaving France by itself. Eventually they'll go for a white peace since war exhaustion will keep going up without any territory being conquered by them.
EU3_5-1.jpg

Even worse, they're the HRE, so they have an even larger manpower pool (and probably army) than normal!
EU3_6-1.jpg

About a year later, my one at a time approach yields its first fruit with the vassalization of Sicily.
EU3_7-1.jpg

A year after that, Venice is subjugated, ending its threat forever.
EU3_8.jpg

And a year after that, France agrees to a white peace. The nation is at peace again.
EU3_9-1.jpg

Unfortunately, the peace doesn't last very long; Castille declares war on me in early 1610. This is not much of a problem from the point of view of the peninsula, since Castille has been severely weakened by France; however, it is a problem from the point of view of the colonies, since Castille has a much larger fleet and army, and most of that army is in Brazil.
EU3_11.jpg

Last edited: