• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 4, 2007
I am returning to this forum with an AAR about Yugoslavia. It will be played with vanilla Armageddon, and written in a history book style. Without farther adue I will start working on my first update for The Rise of the Yugoslav Kingdom.

1936 started with Yugoslavia on the brink of civil war. The Serbians controlled the politics of the multi ethnic country from the capital at Beograd. The Croats were getting more and more restless in the northern part of the country. The current king had to do something to distract the ethnicities from the problems inside the country. The King, Pavle Karadjordjevic, sat thinking long and hard. Yugoslavia had a rather large military, larger than most in the area and what could keep his people looking outside better than a few wars? With that he called for plans to be drawn up on expanding Yugoslavia throughout the Balkans, if they could not be forced to integrate then perhaps he could make them willingly integrate by making them proud to be Yugoslavians. He ordered that the Zastava Arsenal start creating new weapons for his military, while the Memorandum Teleptik started work on improving the industry to fuel this new set of wars he would start.

The first target would be Albania, with four factories and some needed resources it would serve as a good country to prove his new military might on. War was declared at two am on January first 1936 and immediately the III. Kraljevska Jugoslavenska Armija based in Pristina marched on the Albanian capital of Tirana. The divisions in Beogra and in Ljublijana where sent to line the Hungarian boarder as they were seen as a possible second target.

At 3 pm on January 8th the III. Kraljevska Jugoslavenska Armija took the capital and started the march south to occupy the rest of the country and annex it. At 7 pm on January 13th the rest of Albania was occupied and by the next morning the country had ceased to exist. Part one of the wars of expansion was over.

King Pavle decided that he would let Yugoslavia rest before jumping into the next war. Not everyone in the country was very happy with the move and the international community was also not that happy with him for what he did. Due to an agreement with Germany, in which he would send some supplies to them for needed power, Yugoslavia had everything it needed to run its economy. The only problem was a lack of able bodied men, only 220 came a day. Before going to war with Hungry it was decided that the Yugoslav Army would upgrade to the best they had available and then would fill out their ranks to full capacity.

At the end of March 1936 the final upgraded artillery was finished and all spare resources went to filling the ranks of the troops as the plans for invading Hungry were gone over again and again trying to find a weak spot and maybe find an improvement. During this time the troops were trained and drilled harder then ever. Everyone in the army knew another war was coming but who was more ready for it?

The plan was rather simple and it was hoped that a mass invasion as was planned would be enough. The VI Nezavisna Armija, consisting of one infantry division and one cavalry division, would move from the area around Zrenjanin north to secure everything east of the Tisza river. The V. Nezavisna Armija, consisting of one cavalry division and two infantry (one with artillery) divsions, would attack and secure everything north west of Lake Balaton. The II Kraljevsak Jugoslavenska Armija, consisting of three infantry divisions (one with AA and one with artillery) would go from Novi Sad and secure the south half of the area between the Tisza and Danube rivers. Then the VII Kralijevska Jugoslavenska Armija, consisting of one infantry division one mountain division and one cavalry division, and the I. Kraljevsak Jugoslavenska Armija, consisting of one infantry division (with artillery) and one cavalry division, would attack from Osijek and Bjelovar towards to secure the area between Lake Balaton and the Danube. So much was put into that last area because it was assumed that if that area won while all others lost one of the armies could march on to Budapest while the other held its ground.

stefanmg said:
Very interesting. I wish you good luck. Also, be sure to secure the Northwestern border of the country as it is possible that Austria and even Italy will DoW you when you attack Hungary.

Austria will probably DOW you, Italy maybe, but when the balkan powder cage explodes, you have a descent chanse of allying with Greece.

There is the danger that Bulgaria will DoW you, too.
Once I declared war with Yugoslavija vs. Hungary and Austria DoWed me and after few months Bulgaria did the same.
And I Was in a 3-fronts war :mad:

Mico94 said:
Once I declared war with Yugoslavija vs. Hungary and Austria DoWed me and after few months Bulgaria did the same.

Yeah Bulgarians are always a tough nut to crack in the beginnings of the game

Enewald said:
Yay, another powder keg! :p

Shall you be going allied or fascist? :confused:

Unite Balkan!

Commie :p

Good luck, I'll be following

Mico94 said:
Yep. Bulgars are real backstabbing buggars.

Thank you all for the replies, a bit more then expected but still very nice.

To everyone talking about the war I played it through to see what would happen and I was DOWed right before my computer crashed, so I guess that was good luck.

As for why my cavalry is mixed with infantry those are the starting groupings and I figure it would take a pretty large loss to change that opinion in Beograd. The way I see the battles happening right now is the infantry advance while the cavalry flank. A bit outdated but so is the rest of the country.

My plans do include uniting the Balkans under Serbian rule, nothing communist about it. Its just giving the Serbians the power they need and deserve. Its their manifest destiny.

As for Allied or Axis I am not sure. Right now I am sharing a boarder with future Germany and have +55 with them, and my relations with the UK are at -55. So if the war broke out now and I had to pick I would join the Axis.

Sematary said:
Thank you all for the replies, a bit more then expected but still very nice.

To everyone talking about the war I played it through to see what would happen and I was DOWed right before my computer crashed, so I guess that was good luck.

As for why my cavalry is mixed with infantry those are the starting groupings and I figure it would take a pretty large loss to change that opinion in Beograd. The way I see the battles happening right now is the infantry advance while the cavalry flank. A bit outdated but so is the rest of the country.

My plans do include uniting the Balkans under Serbian rule, nothing communist about it. Its just giving the Serbians the power they need and deserve. Its their manifest destiny.

As for Allied or Axis I am not sure. Right now I am sharing a boarder with future Germany and have +55 with them, and my relations with the UK are at -55. So if the war broke out now and I had to pick I would join the Axis.

Just remember that you'll get a pretty large dissent hit if you join the Axis by event. Joining them is the best option as Yugoslavia is surrounded by Axis and Allies won't do much to help you when WW2 breaks out.

stefanmg said:
Just remember that you'll get a pretty large dissent hit if you join the Axis by event. Joining them is the best option as Yugoslavia is surrounded by Axis and Allies won't do much to help you when WW2 breaks out.
Yugoslavia as is is surrounded by Axis and should bow a head to Berlin. By the time WW II starts I fully intend to have the entire Balkans under my belt. As for the Allies not doing much to help me that is good because then I can take more land.

One thing changed the invasion plan radically in April. Yugoslavian spies in Hungary found that both Italy and Austria were guaranteeing the independence of Hungary. This meant that at any time one or both of the countries may declare war on Yugoslavia and plans were changed accordingly. The IV Kraljevska Teritorijalna Armija, consisting of three infantry divisions, was sent to the Ljublijana area to cover the northern part of the boarder with Italy and the western part of the boarder with Austria. The III Kraljevska Jugoslavenska Armija, considing of two infantry divisions was sent from Albania to cover the rest of the boarder with Italy. The invasion of the country was also changed radically in order to keep the V Armija in place covering the eastern section of the Austrian boarder. The VI and VII Armijas would support the attack of the II Armija which would then support the attack of the VI. The I and II Armijas would then support the attack of the VII and once the VII was in place they would, along with the V, support the attack of the I.

At 4 pm on April 21 1936 Yugoslavia went to war. Italy declared war the next day but the positions were held on the boarder. It was assumed that the hills would provide better defense then the planes around Venice. Twenty four hours after the war started the first battle was won but the VI was being attacked and it was assumed they would have to retreat. However they managed to hold the Hungarians off due to the river separating them.

On the 25th of April Germany went to war with Italy honoring their guaranteeing of Yugoslavian independence. The 27th saw the second battle between the Danube and the Tisza rivers with a small unprepared division of Hungarian troops quickly beaten off. The 27th also saw Austria enter the war.

The next day stage two of the war started, with the VI attacking east of the Tisza, with the II supporting. The twenty ninth saw amazing events, Romania had joined the Entente powers and with its declaration of war the Entente went to war with Austria while at the same time France declared war on Germany. As the sun rose on the last day of April Yugoslavia won the battle for the land east of the Tisza.

Boarder skirmishes started with Austria on May Day, but the Yugoslavian forces were too well dug in. Stage three started with the VII attacking their area on the 2nd with support from the I and II. The battle ended in victory in less than a day. On the 6th the boarder skirmish turned into a full scale invasion with 6 Austrian divisions as well as Hungry declaring war on Romania. On the seventh the IV was forced to retreat to Zagreb. While that night the VII occupied their sector.

The 8th started with Italy knocking back the III to Spit. High Command knew that Hungary could not hold out much longer and so they called for the next stage to begin. the VI would finish occupying the area between the Danube and the Tisza. The I also attacked its area soon after as the VII was under attack from Budapest and Gyoer. The attack on Gyoer was a sweeping victory and caused the attack from Budapest to be slowed enough for it to be pushed back. Unable to wait for the rest of the pincer to get into place east of the Danube the VII moved with support from the II. The mistake was realized as the force was easily turned back a few hours later. Soon after the V was forced to retreat by Austrian forces, which caused a loss in Gyoer when Hungarian reinforcements arrived.

I don't see how its a turn for the worse. Hungary is almost down and out, I would make peace with them except I need the resources in Budapest. Once Hungary is out I will attack the Austrian homeland hoping that they have displaced their military enough and then do the same with Italy.

Sematary said:
I don't see how its a turn for the worse. Hungary is almost down and out, I would make peace with them except I need the resources in Budapest. Once Hungary is out I will attack the Austrian homeland hoping that they have displaced their military enough and then do the same with Italy.

Not to mention having the entire German Wehrmacht on your side ;) You can leave Austria to them and strike at Italy.