• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And with the former post, this thread has finally come to its end. The events concerning the IV century will be posted on a new thread. Thanks to everyone who has followed it :).
Thank you for the amazing historical narrative! I learned a lot, and it was fun to read.

Though it's a bit weird to end 'the rise of the Sassanians' on their first harsh defeat against Rome ;)

Thank you for the amazing historical narrative! I learned a lot, and it was fun to read.

Though it's a bit weird to end 'the rise of the Sassanians' on their first harsh defeat against Rome ;)

Maybe, but I see it differently, I guess. In my view, this is the end of their “rise”, when the Romans find their footing again and both empires reach a sort of tense "détente" while preparing for a new round of fighting. From the accession of Ardaxsīr I to the throne of Iran until the First Peace of Nisibis, the Sasanians were the aggressive newcomers and the Romans were on the defensive, but this war really was a watershed :).

Maybe, but I see it differently, I guess. In my view, this is the end of their “rise”, when the Romans find their footing again and both empires reach a sort of tense "détente" while preparing for a new round of fighting. From the accession of Ardaxsīr I to the throne of Iran until the First Peace of Nisibis, the Sasanians were the aggressive newcomers and the Romans were on the defensive, but this war really was a watershed :).
Hmm, well looking at it that way it does make some sense; mind, I still think just before the First Peace of Nisibis would work, on Galerius' defeats or even Diocletian's ascension, but yours works too obviously :)

All in all this has been a very interesting read. I was previously not too well-read on the Sasanian Empire and this has certainly helped expand my knowledge on them.

Bahram-I-02.jpg

Investiture relief of Bahrām I (right) who is receiving the "diadem of power" from Ohrmazd.

Every thing else aside, gotta love those Sasanid horses; Truly divine.